Star Bright

By -imagineer-

BOOK ONE: Stranger Danger Not all things bright are beautiful... ★★★ Dani Chamberman, a... More

One: Stranger
Two: Crazy
Three: Gone, Part One
Four: Unexpected
Five: Saturday
Six: Tryouts
Seven: Invite
Eight: Manipulation, Part One
Nine: Disobedient
Eleven: Kolo
Twelve: Real
Thirteen: Knowledge, Part One
Fourteen: Light
Fifteen: Hope
Sixteen: Date
Seventeen: Tension
Eighteen: Dread, Part One
Nineteen: Crash
Twenty: Ache
Twenty One: Zine
Twenty Two: Feral
Twenty Three: Void
Twenty Four: Malevolent
Twenty Five: Amend
Twenty Six: Trap
Twenty Seven: Cadaver

Ten: Party

8 1 0
By -imagineer-

  "I still think this is a bad idea." Jean said later that evening as Dani walked down the stairs, wearing a brown leather jacket, purple shirt, and blue jeans. On her feet were brown boots. "But you look so darn sexy."

  Dani smiled proudly. "Thank you, Jean. And I promise," she took her sister's hands in hers, "I'll be careful."

  "I'm only trusting you cause you're taking Ian with you. Where is that handsome strange, by the way?"

  Dani narrowed her eyes at Jean and sighed. "He should be down any minute. You'd think he was going for a wedding."

Jean chuckled.

"While we wait, there's something I've got to tell you." The two sisters went into the dining room, pulled out two chairs, and sat down.

  "What is it?" Jean asked.

  "Sheriff's Gary is going to be coming here to see Ian. He didn't mention when just said he would be dropping by."

  Jean smirked. "I better be in sexy clothes that day or else!" Then she turned serious. "Wait, to see Ian? What for?"

  Dani shrugged. "He kept asking me questions about where we found Ian, what Ian thinks he is, what I think about him and all—"

  Jean grabbed Dani's hand urgently. "Please tell me you didn't tell him we found Ian in the woods."

  "Um..."

  "Oh no. No, no, no, no."

  "What's the big deal?" Dani exclaimed.

  "When we went down the station, I heard some rumors about people coming down to town to see what the rock was all about. Some cops actually believe that there was an alien inside. I wanted to smack them. When sheriff Gary asked me where I found him, I said I didn't; Ian just walked up to our door and asked for food. Now he knows I'm lying."

  "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

  "I didn't know he would question you too. How did you even meet him?"

  "I took a ride in Austin's truck. Jeremy left me behind, he isn't happy I'm coming to the party."

  Jean sighed and covered her face with her hands.

  "What are we scared of exactly? We know Ian isn't some silly star like he says he is."

  "Trust me, we may know that, but those blockheads will not. They'll take his words for it. Ian could get hurt before he's reunited with his family. Plus let's not forget, there's not one injury on his body to prove the meteor affected him—"

  "I know right? It's so strange!"

  "What's so strange?"

  Jean and Dani jumped and turned around; Ian was standing at the last step. He wore a big brown hoodie that had a cartoon teddy bear at the pocket, blue jeans, and red sneakers. For some reason, his hair was still wet. Dani was speechless; he looked very cute, but there was no way she was going to admit it. Jean, however, was another case.

  "Oh my god, you look so good, Ian. Hell, I think I should go with you guys."

  It was a joke but it still made Dani's heart skip.

"Thank you, Jean." Ian said, humbly. "It's a bit cold outside so I thought I'd wear what you bought me." He pinched the hoodie to indicate it was what he was talking about.

  Jean was smiling like a madwoman. "And you're very welcome, Ian. Mind if I take a pic?"

  "Oh my god!" Dani exclaimed. "Jean, this isn't prom, stop being so embarrassing."

  "Oh, hush. I just wanna show my fellow nurses." She took out her phone and quickly snapped Ian. Her flash went off, making Ian blink. Jean examined the photo she had just taken with a confused expression on her face. Lines were on her forehead.

  "What is it?" Dani said and came closer to peer into the phone. She too lightly squeezed her face. "What the hell...?"

  "Is something wrong?" Ian asked softly.

  "No..." Jean mumbled, glancing at him, then at the phone, "I think my phone's camera must have been affected by something."

  Dani took the phone from Jean and brought it closer to her face, straining her eyes as she stared at the anomalous photo. Standing where Ian was supposed to be was a man-shaped blue light. It had no facial features or clothes on. The light coming from it was so eldritch and flashy, Dani was tempted to rub her eyes.

  There was something familiar about that blue light...

   The night of the meteor crash! Dani was very sure this was the same light she and Jean had seen from their house. She glanced at Ian who was staring at her quietly. Could it be... Knowing where her mind was wandering to, she quickly dismissed it and handed Jean her phone back.

  "Let's go, Ian. No time to lose."

  "Remember," Jean cautioned as she escorted them to the door, "9'O clock. Not a moment later. Ian, she's in your hands now. Watch her. Dani, watch yourself."

  Dani rolled her eyes as she stepped out and down the small stairs down to the road. Ian was right behind her. The evening's air was cold and the wind was weak. Entreat Street was almost empty, with just a few people standing outside chatting.

  "She's just worried, you know." Came Ian's gentle voice as he stepped beside her. "I can feel her wariness as strong as I can feel your irritation."

  "Okay listen up," Dani said and turned to him, "this night has to be perfect for me, Ian. I've been dreaming of going to The Summit ever since I heard the name of it. That means no star business or stories, no weirdness, no embarrassing me or any other thing that brain of yours might think of, got it? In general, be less you."

  Ian didn't answer. Instead, he looked ahead into the forest entry. "How do we get to this party?"

  Dani chose to neglect the fact that he had just ignored her. She brushed her hair aside and answered; "Just follow me. I know the place."

  Together, they stepped into the woods gradually. Trees as tall as posts were spread all over the place and the ground was littered with a mass amount of figs and leaves. Squirrels ran out of sight when they spotted the pair. Leaves rustled above them. Little strands of wind made the dead leaves on the ground roll ahead before they dropped dead again. Crickets sang in a disorderly manner. The moon wasn't out so the forest was partially dark.

  Dani glanced at her phone. Four of their precious minutes had gone. She pushed herself to walk faster, treading upon figs.

  "How safe are these woods?" Ian asked out of the blue.

  "Safe."

  "I don't see why teenagers would want to build a party house in the middle of the woods."

  "Because we always get complaints that we're being too loud. Besides, Hawk's forest is safe. We've never had any kind of animal attack, at least not one I remember." Dani glanced at her phone again.

  "I hope you realize that I'm escorting you because you suggested it. You still owe me that quality time you promised." He sounded like a child reminding an uncle of his promised Christmas present.

  "Whatever," Dani mumbled.

  "And you mustn't break your promise even if you are not a star—"

  Dani swung around, furiously, her hair whipping across her face. "No! Uh-uh! No more talk of star nonsense. I specifically asked you not to do that."

  Ian stared at her for a minute before he looked over her shoulder yet again and pointed. "I think I see the house."

  Believing he was trying to change the topic, she turned around; true to his words, The Summit could be seen through the slits of trees. It was glowing with a fierce red color. Dani nearly giggled but she caught herself in time. Easing her nerves, she bustled forward, hoping there was nothing wrong with her outfit.

  Soon the two of them broke into a small clearing with a path that led to the two-story house. There was a line of well-dressed teens, some Dani knew, others she did not. One of each couple held a red card. There were boys in black shirts that Dani recognized from the football team. The Summit was not too big but not too small either.

  There were people outside holding red plastic cups, reminding Dani of the photos Coach Brian had shown her. From inside the house, she could hear loud music booming. Not too far, built around the environment was a wired fence to stop anybody or animal from getting closer. Dani had heard some people had offered to check the premises once in a while only if they got to hang out in the house. The deal had been made. Lastly, Moon River was not too far from The Summit. People often went there to swim.

  Seeing the giant bonfire in the middle of the environment, Dani concluded that The Summit was a teenage kingdom.

  While Dani and Ian stood in the line, listening to the music and chattering of people as well as watching the bonfire crackle and spark, Sandy Baker and Jeremy walked up to them. Sandy wore a tight purple short dress and heavy makeup. She had her arm hooked with Jeremy's.

  "Well if it isn't Dani Chamberman." She hissed. "Who the hell invited you?"

  "That's what I wanna know too," Jeremy said, glaring. Then his eyes went to Ian. "You? Aren't you that guy staying at Dani's? Gabe said you were recovering from an illness. Should you be here?"

  "He's fine," Dani said, grabbing Ian's arm before he could say anything.

  "Kinda cute though..." Sandy cooed, completely eating him up with her eyes. Dani shuddered at whatever image Sandy had conjured up in her mind.

  "This is your last chance, Dani," Jeremy warned. "Go home."

  "And leave your boyfriend. He can stay." Sandy added.

  "He's not my boyfriend." Dani said curtly and turned to Jeremy, "and for god's sake, mind your business, Jer. I have a card and that means I get to stay. If you don't like it, deal with it." Once those words were out of her mouth, her heart stopped.

  Jeremy's face was like thunder. Even Sandy was avoiding having to look up at him. "Fine." He said, through clenched jaws. "Come on, Sandy." He tugged her forward where they passed the bouncers without having to show any card.

   "This place stinks."

   "Huh?" Dani asked, trying to stop her shivering hands.

   "This place. It stinks of sexual desire. It's intoxicating. Maybe Jeremy's right."

  Dani had never wanted to hit him so bad in her life. She settled on a sharp glare which she gave over her shoulder and decided to ignore him for the rest of the night. The line moved forward till it was their turn. Dani slid her card into a small brown box with a slit on it and proceeded forward. Ian moved like her shadow behind her.

  Deciding she wanted to catch this druggie first so that she could enjoy the rest of the night, Dani headed to the house instead of lingering outside with other teens. The moment she was on the balcony, she could smell sweat and alcohol. Dani opened the door and the heat slapped her in the face. There was hardly any space for moving. The room was drowned in red lights, the music was deafening, people were dancing and making out, others doing beer pong.

  "My ears hurt," Ian yelled into her ear.

  "What?" She asked, forgetting her vow to ignore him.

  "My ears hurt." He yelled louder. The music was drowning his voice.

  Dani caught the words 'ear' and 'hurt'. She put two and two together. "Mine too. But you'll get used to it. If you don't like it though, you can go outside. I'm gonna grab a drink." She started to push through the crowd when Ian yelled;

  "I'll come with you."

  Dani turned around, glaring. "You're not my dad; I'm just getting a drink. Chill!" She sunk deeper into the crowd till Ian's face was lost among the jumping bodies. Everything was red. Dani couldn't tell the color of anybody's clothes. She got to the punch bowl and picked a red cup from a stack. After dipping it and bringing it to her lips, someone slapped it out of her hands. The cup fell to the floor, spilling the drink on the floor. No one noticed, of course.

  Dani looked up to meet Jeremy's angry face. "What the hell?" She yelled over the music.

  "No drinking for you." He said.

  "What's your problem? I'm already here, might as well just accept it."

  "No drinking for you." He repeated hotly.

  Dani grabbed a cup again but Jeremy jerked it out of her grip and threw it into the crowd. He then pushed the entire stack off the table and flattened them with his feet.

  Dani had shock written all over her face. "Are you serious right now? What about other people?"

  "I don't care about them, it's you I'm worried about."

  Those words hit her somewhere between 'annoying' and 'romantic'. She sighed and opened her mouth to tell him off when Sandy materialized beside him suddenly and whispered something into his ear. Jeremy's expression changed. His eyes glinted in mischief. Sandy glared at Dani as she walked past her back into the crowd.

  "Remember what I said; no drinking." Jeremy gave her a stern look and walked past her, following Sandy.

  Because he had ruined her fun, Dani decided to ruin his. She quietly followed him through the forest of sweaty poking bodies till she reached the staircase. Dani saw Sandy lead Jeremy up to the second floor. When she got to the same floor minutes later, she was relieved to discover that the music wasn't too loud up here. The downside was that there were a lot of people kissing in the small hallway while awkward sounds came from the locked rooms.

  A door at the end of the hall closed just as Dani spotted it.

  Walking to the door, she took a deep breath and decided to sneak a peek first before barging in, so as not to see anything she couldn't unsee later. Dani inched the door open quietly...

  what the—

  "Ian?!" She exclaimed.

  The room she was walking into in disbelief had four beds with their ends together to form a circle. Its wallpaper was brown and ugly-looking. There was a slim door by the corner. Ian and a few people were seated on the ends of each bed in pairs. Jeremy was sitting with Sandy. He was boiling holes into Dani's face with his glare.

  "Ian, what are you doing here?" Dani half yelled.

  "These girls invited up here to play games with them." He said in his usual innocent tone. "They said it's gonna be fun."

  "I bet," Dani mumbled, watching one of the girls run her hands all over Ian's body.

  "There's something so good about touching you." The blonde girl slurred like she was drunk. "It's like I'm being massaged in my head."

  "I know, right?" Said a brunette who reached over to touch Ian's hand. Her black boyfriend sitting by her side didn't look happy. "Whatever you're using, don't stop; it's working."

  "Actually," Ian began to say, "it's just a distraction to make you calm while I look through your memories. And might I say you girls like sex a lot; it's everywhere in your heads."

  The girls laughed casually but kept their hands on him. There was a lone boy on a bed. His name was Marcus. He was on the swimming team. Marcus had brown curly hair and beady eyes. He invitingly smiled at Dani.

  "Come on, Ian. We're leaving."

  "What? Why?" Sandy asked in a panic of losing Ian. "Why leave when you can join in? Marcus clearly needs a partner. Don't be shy, Chamberman. Summit."

  "When you say leaving, do you mean this room or this house?" Jeremy spoke up for the first time.

  "This room." Dani folded her arms. "Dream on, Jeremy."

  Sandy stood up and walked to Dani. "Don't be such a wuss. I'm sure we can all get along. Come, come, sit." She dragged Dani to Marcus and pushed her down to the bed. Marcus smiled nervously at her, giving her a nod.

  Dani knew that if not for Ian, Sandy would have given her the boot five seconds after she had barged into the room. "Just to be clear, I'm not taking my clothes off for anyone. Boundaries."

  Sandy smirked. "Sure thing, Chamberman." She nestled into Jeremy's arms. "So... What are we playing..?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 141K 45
Falling in love never scared Maddie Davis until she fell for the one boy she swore to stay away from forever. Season 1 of My Brother's Best Friend ...
43.3K 2.3K 47
Dani Miller and Eddie Munson met in the seventh grade and they have been inseparable ever since. When Dani's feelings morph into something more than...
63.8K 3.2K 46
[COMPLETED] Three years ago, she ran away from something she doesn't want to go back to, and never looked back. But that doesn't mean she's safe. 21...
299K 11.3K 30
*Editing* - PART 1 OF 3 (Heart Shaped Blood Stains) - Kate Chambers was a sixteen year old sophomore, already moved out and on her own with...