Second Chance

By AtishrahWahi

Dev and Mahi. Practically strangers to each other. Their mothers, not so much. They are the best friends. Bot... More

Chapter 1 New House
Chapter 2 New Housemate
Chapter 3 Old and New Friends
Chapter 4 Party is in Session
Chapter 5 Her Past
Chapter 6 His Past or His Confused Feelings
Chapter 7 Her Confused Feelings
Chapter 8 Forgiveness or Relief from the Pain
Chapter 9 New Revelation
Chapter 10 First Crush or Something Else
Chapter 11 Stirring New Tensions
Chapter 12 Her Choice or Another Triangle
Chapter 13 His Promise
Chapter 14 'It was a Mistake'
Chapter 15 'I Love Her'
Chapter 16 "I'll Wait"
Chapter 17 Repulsive Encounter
Chapter 18 Concerned, more than Curious
Chapter 19 A Nightmare or a Glimpse into Her Past
Chapter 20 A Partial Confession, Yet Enough?
Chapter 21 A Cheesy Romance with a Disappearing Act
Chapter 23 A Story of a Girl
Chapter 24 The Talk
Chapter 25 The Kidnapping
Chapter 26 The Return and The Reunion
Chapter 27 The Vacation: The Last The First and Many More to Come

Chapter 22 The Ex Factor

5.1K 243 1
By AtishrahWahi

 'It's Yashika,' says Ekta. She continues in a small voice, unlike her usual,' Yashika is with them. They are coming home with her.'

Mahi blinks a few times at first, then closing her eyes, she tries to gather her focus at the name of her husband's ex. An ex whom he almost married. If she hadn't left him, there was no way today Mahi and Dev would have become so close, in love. The name would not have bothered her if their relationship was merely contractual like before. But, now things are different. She never thought that she would end up falling for Dev. Now the fact is that Dev is bringing home the same woman who left him on his wedding day, whom he loved for 6 long years yet, she chose to leave him. It's not been even a year since Dev and Mahi got married and not even more than a couple of months that Dev might have fallen for Mahi. How can she compete for the six years of a relationship with a couple months of love, companionship? Or maybe months of infatuation? Was it just an infatuation? Not for her. May be for him? Mahi's head starts aching as she tries to contemplate everything or whatever might happen to her. How is she going to comfort herself? 

Mahi steps back, losing herself in all the chaos going on in her head. Ekta notices her getting tensed. She speaks up,' Don't jump on any conclusions. Okay! Just...' She takes a deep breath and continues,' Trust yourself. Trust him.'

Mahi shoves down her feelings and gathers herself together. She pulls a small voice,' I am fine.'

She makes herself busy making some tea and coffee. Her quietness makes Ekta immensely nervous and worried. She silently prays for Dev not to disappoint them, especially Mahi. 

Both move out of the kitchen, helping get everyone the teas and coffees in the living room. 

Soon after, they hear the car outside. Mahi stands still as she listens to the car door opening and closing. Ekta comes and stands next to her as she puts an assuring hand on Mahi's arm. Mahi takes a deep breath and turns her head to Ekta,' Don't worry. I am not trying to jump on any conclusions.' She takes another deep breath to steady herself,' I am just preparing myself for the worst.'

Everyone watches in shock, except Ekta and Mahi when Dev enters the house with Yashika. Rohit enters right behind them. Yashika looked unrecognisable at first as she wasn't in her best looks. She had Dev's coat around her shoulder, her hair dishevelled a bit. She was small in stature next to Dev's tall frame as she wasn't wearing any heels. Mahi just noticed that she wasn't even wearing any footwear. As they walked in closer, now everyone could see the bruised face of Yashika. Everyone can notice the fresh wound on the side of her forehead, along with blue and red bruises and heavy redness on her cheeks. Her eyes were swollen too, maybe from excessive crying. Everyone now become curious as they saw the state Yashika is in, along with the shock. Dev has been stealing a glance at Mahi's face when she looks at Yashika with detailed observation. He immediately looks away when Mahi catches him looking at her. Mahi feels uneasy when Dev avoid her gaze. She loses more hope than before. 

Yashika staggers as she loses her footing and ability to stand stably. She takes the help of Dev's arm to stand straight. Dev and Rohit help her stand straight. Savitri, Mahi, Ekta and Nivi come forward to help as well. When they approach Yashika, Dev and Rohit instantly give way for them to help her. Mahi and Nivi hold shaken Yashika and take her to the guest room. Dev asks for some water as he and Rohit settle down in the living room. Mahi and Nivi come back from the guest room after helping Yashika. Mahi can't get off her mind what she saw when she and Nivi helped Yashika to change into fresh pair of clothes. She looked shaken, terrified. She had bruises all over her body. Fresh and old. They helped her clean up as Yashika looked more lost but aware.

When Mahi and Nivi arrive back in the living room, they see Dev and Rohit settled and everyone else seated, waiting for them to answer their silent questions. When Dev sees Mahi in the living room, he begins to tell what happened. He tells everyone that he just received a phone call from the police station saying some female friend has given them the number. 

'At first, I thought it must be some kind of a prank but, then nobody other than close friends and family had my phone number. So I left for the police station. Without telling anyone,' says Dev as he looks up to Mahi. She was standing behind the sofa across from him. He continues looking back at everyone,' I didn't want anyone to worry so...when I reached then only I got to know that it was her.'

'What happened to her?' asks Maan, thinking about Yashika's state. 

'She ran from her abusive husband. The police officer said that she filed a report against him. She came running to the police station. When police went to pick him up, he was gone,' replies Dev. 

'Why did you bring her here?' asks Nivi, now getting seriously concerned with the situation.

Dev looks at Mahi first and then answers,' I asked if she wants me to drop her to any of her friends. She doesn't have any in the city. I told her that I can arrange for her to stay at the hotel. But, she was too shaken and out to leave alone. Then I called Rohit. I didn't feel right to leave her like that.'

'You did the right thing,' says Mahi. Everyone looks at her in surprise. Her face projected the calmness that can fool all except Dev. He could read her eyes like a neat book. He could tell that she meant what she said. But, there were a whole lot of questions in them for him. 

Savitri asks Mahi,' Are you sure you don't mind this?'

'She just got assaulted by her husband. And she doesn't know anyone else in the city. As a woman...and a human, I think we could do at least this much,' replies Mahi with a steady voice.

'I have already informed her parents. They'll be here tomorrow,' adds Dev, drawing attention from Mahi. Everyone takes in the situation silently. 

All the elders eventually retire for the night. Rest go to the guest room to check up on Yashika, except Mahi. She goes to her room to gather back her nerves as she changes out of the saree into a night suit with a long shrug on her arms. 

In the guest room, everyone including, Ekta, Nivi, Anu, Rohit and Dev, are gathered around the bed, where Yashika is seated with the support of the bedpost. Dev was on the chair next to Yashika while the rest were standing or sitting around the bed. 

Yashika looks better with first aid taken care of her injuries. She smiles at the rest, saying thank you. She ends her gaze at Dev with a smile and more gracious thanks. Dev simply replies,' It's alright.' 

He informs her about her parents coming the next day. She puts her hand on his hand, which was resting on his laps,' What would have I done if you hadn't come for me.'

Ekta, Nivi and Anu raise their eyebrows together at her gesture. Dev becomes a little uncomfortable as he pulls back his hand from her touch,' I would have done the same for anyone.'

Mahi, standing at the door, witness the whole scene. She knocks at the door before entering with a glass of warm milk on a small tray. Yashika loses her smile when she sees Mahi at the door. On the contrary, Dev suddenly feels the rush of relief seeing her. Mahi walks up to the side of the bed, walking past seated Dev. She places the tray on the side table,' Have it warm. It will help you sleep and in healing your injuries.'

Mahi walks back and stands at the end of the bed. Yashika notices Dev's eyes not leaving Mahi from the time she entered the room. A faint frown forms on her head, seeing Dev watching Mahi.

Mahi turns to Dev,' Dev. Why don't you go and change? We all are here.'

Dev gets up, nodding gladly. He walks past Mahi but pauses as he holds her hand loose on her side and leaves after pressing it briefly. Mahi glances at Dev but doesn't respond back. Yashika notices the intimate interaction between the two. She becomes a little worried, thinking if Dev has really moved on from her. 

After Dev leaves, Rohit and Ekta also leave. After sitting silently for few more minutes with Yashika, rest also leave the room, asking her to rest and take care. 

Dev nervously waits for Mahi in the room after changing into a fresh pair of t-shirt and tracks. Almost an hour passes by, there is no sign of Mahi. Dev becomes restless. As he goes down, the house was dead silent as everyone has probably been asleep. It is the middle of the night. He checks the guest room from outside and sees the lights are out. It means Mahi and everyone has already left it. He looks around thinking, where she must have gone this late. He goes to the front lawns to look for her. Then he stops by the kitchen and finds it empty. Then he moves towards the back doors, which leads to Verandah. When he sees through the glass door, he sees Mahi seated on one of the chairs, facing the gardens. He quietly slides open the door and moves out. Just then, Yashika gets out of her room and sees Dev walking towards the back door. She smiles and follows him to the door. She stops losing the smile when she sees Dev walking towards the seated Mahi.

Dev stands quietly next to Mahi. He notices her lost in her thoughts that she didn't even feel him coming. She is seated with her legs up on the chair with her knees close to her chest, hugging them.

'Hey,' Dev speaks softly, breaking Mahi's focus.

Mahi looks up to him,' Hey!'

Dev takes the chair next and moves it closer and facing her before sitting on it. Mahi looks back at the garden, thinking far ahead. 

Dev doesn't remove his gaze from her. 

'I was waiting for you in the room.' Dev breaks the silence between them.

'I needed some time to myself. To internalise everything,' replies Mahi without looking at Dev.

Dev looks down briefly and then speaks,' I know it must be difficult for you. You must hate me for not calling you and telling you first. I am sorry. But, I wanted to do it in person.'

Mahi turns her head towards him,' I think I understand. I get it.'

'What?' asks Dev, not getting what she exactly understands.

'You and her,' Mahi gulping down her feelings. She continues looking away at the garden,' I understand. Six years is a long time. You have a lot of history. You can't get away that easily. I get it.' She turns her head towards Dev,' Maybe we weren't meant to be.'

'Wait! Mahi, you are not-'

'I just said it as a joke. I didn't know it will come back to me in such a way and bite me,' says Mahi chuckling dryly. 

'What joke?' asks Dev with utter confusion looming over his head.

Mahi looks at him with moist eyes,' The exceptions. Unless you cheat on me, or you'll go back to your ex.'

Dev burst out in a small laugh loudly and shuts up immediately, looking at Mahi,' Oh God! What have you been thinking!' 

Mahi frowns at Dev's reaction. Dev leans in, dragging her chair to turn it towards him and pulls it closer, reducing the distance between them. He takes her both hands in his,' Do you remember what I'd said after you made that joke?'

Mahi nods her head, still frowning in confusion,' That I can let go of those exceptions because it ain't happening.'

'Ever. I said ever. And I meant it.' 

 Both silently look at each other for few seconds, reading each other. 

'You didn't believe me,' Dev breaks the silence. 

Mahi simply looks on, giving off a puzzled and disbelief gaze. Dev tugs at her hands as he pulls her,' Come here!'

He pulls her to get up from the chair and makes her sit on his laps, with her legs to one side. As she sits, he puts her hand around his shoulders and keeps another in his, closer to his chest.

'What made you think I was going back to her?' asks Dev as he tucks a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. 

'You didn't call me. You didn't even pick up my call. I was worried sick. Didn't see you for hours,' says Mahi, complaining.

'I didn't want you to worry. Police station and all,' Dev says, thinking about that moment.

Mahi rolls her eyes,' Police station doesn't worry me. Did you forget what I do for a living?'.

Dev smiles as he shakes his head. 'Sorry. I'll keep that in mind from next time.'

'Will there be a next time?'

'In case,' Dev corrects himself.

Mahi sighs and then continues,' Then Ekta told me about her before you guys came home.' Dev closes his eyes in disbelief. She defends Ekta,' I forced her to.'

'Still, she wasn't supposed to.'

'It wasn't her fault.'

'I know,' replies Dev, softly accepting.

'You avoided looking at me. When you guys came home,' says Mahi pointing out the further reason, her doubt almost turned into reality for her briefly.

'I got scared...I knew I must have hurt you somehow by not telling you. It didn't pan out the way I thought. I thought I'll drop her at the hotel and then come to you and tell you everything. But then...' he takes in a deep breath. 'It just... I didn't want to tell you through a call.'

Dev sighs off,' I am sorry.'

Mahi looks at him, feeling like an idiot to even doubt him. She scolds herself for running wild with her thoughts. How can she not trust this beautiful man in front of her? He loves her, beyond her imagination, and thinks deeply about not hurting her? How could she not love him back with the same earnestness? She does. She now knows for sure. She leans in, closing her eyes, resting her forehead on his. 

Dev closes his eyes too as he wraps his hands around her. Mahi keeping her eyes closed, she breathes,' I am sorry for doubting you.' 

She pulls her head away from his to look at his face. She runs her fingers in his hair, admiring him in dimly lit Verandah. Keeping them partly in his hair at the back of his head as her thumbs trace his jawline,' I didn't realise until today that how scary the thought of losing you can be.' 

Dev lets out a smile after listening to her,' I am right here. I am gonna cling to you for the rest of your life.'

Both breaks into a soft chuckle leaning into each other. Dev places one hand under her ear, caressing her cheek. He pulls her closer to his lips when the sound of the sliding door makes them aware of someone. Both instantly turn towards the sound as Mahi gets up assuming, someone from the family found them fooling around. However, she finds Yashika standing there. 

Mahi sighs off, relaxing that it was no one from the family. Dev gets off the chair, with a frown forming around his forehead. 

'Sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you,' Yashika speaks up, clearly acting innocent. She has been standing behind the door from the time Dev came to Mahi. Through half-shut glass doors, she even faintly witnessed the rest. 

Dev and Mahi exchange looks. Yashika continues,' Actually, I was unable to fall asleep. I was feeling restless. So I came out for fresh air.'

'Did you drink the milk I gave you?' asks Mahi intently.

'No. I don't take the dairy after 6 in the evening,' replies Yashika, being a snob.

Mahi press her lips to control the smile,' You should have. Old remedies help in healing and in a lot of other things.' Mahi felt amused at her behaviour. Even after going through this much, her arrogance has not faltered a bit. She is the same Mahi remembers her from a year ago. When they formally first met before the wedding preparations. 

Dev reads Mahi's expressions, getting amused. He interjects before things get awkward between his ex-girlfriend and his wife,' It's late enough. We won't get between your fresh air. Good night and rest well.' Dev takes Mahi's hand to leave for their room. 

Yashika speaks,' Uh Dev. I was hoping we could talk for a moment.'

Dev and Mahi stop in their tracks and look at each other. Dev speaks up,' It's late. Can we do this tomorrow?'

'Tomorrow, I don't know if I'll get the chance,' Yashika reads the hesitancy on Dev's face. 'Please,' she adds.

'Alright. What you want to talk about?'

'Can we talk in private,' Yashika glances at Mahi uncomfortably. 

Dev reads Yashika looking at Mahi,' Mahi is my wife. It's private enough. You can talk comfortably in front of her.'

Yashika gets a little irritated,' Please! I at least deserve this considering the years we have known each other.'

'Considering how you ended those years, you don't even deserve standing in front of me,' replies Dev curtly. 

Mahi feels that the conversation is getting way too heated. She jumps in,' It's okay.' She turns to Dev,' I am fine. I really don't mind.' She touches his arms lovingly,' I'll be up in the room.'

Dev simply nods after listening to her. Mahi turns to Yashika, giving her a look that she really doesn't care about whatever she has rolled up in her sleeves. Mahi leaves as she brushes her hands against Dev while walking back into the house. 

Yashika clearly isn't liking the way Dev responds to Mahi's touch. To her, it was like he is suddenly the obedient and relaxed person around Mahi. When Mahi leaves, she takes few steps towards Dev,' I am sorry. I know I don't even deserve to stand here in front of you.'

'What did you want to talk about?' Dev asks with a straight face.

'Us'

Dev looks at her, puzzled. She continues,' I know I have made the biggest mistake of my life. I know. Now, I realise this. But I thought you would understand the reason. Why I did what I did. I hope you got the letter I left you. Did you?'

'Oh yeah. I did,' says Dev curtly.

Yashika tries to understand his tone but fails. 'No, you did not.'

'I got your letter Yashika. What is your point?' asks Dev rolling his eyes.

'No, you did not. If you did, you wouldn't be behaving like this. Talking to me so rudely,' Yashika now sure that he didn't get her letter. 

'I gave it to your mother. She must have changed it. You know she can do that.'

Dev clenches his jaws together, trying to hold it in. He speaks,

'Dear Dev. I am sorry I am doing this to you. I had no choice. I am forced to do this. I cannot take the instructions, taunts and hate for the rest of my life. I love you but, I cannot be with you at the expense of my self-respect. I am really sorry. I hope you will understand. Love Yashika.'

Dev puts his hands in the pockets of his tracks as he finishes reciting the letter word by word. 

Yashika becomes confused as Dev recites the exact words she left for him before leaving him. She fails to understand his current attitude towards her. For as long as she has known Dev, the words in that letter were definitely not supposed to impact him this way. She made sure the blame of her leaving can never come on her, but his mother. She made sure in these years to separate Dev from his mother's influence. But what she is witnessing right now is the contrary of that. He is indifferent towards her and not at all polite with her. She thought she could get back with him after realising what a mistake she made believing the news of him getting bankrupt. But she pushed her plans when she heard him getting married anyways to someone else. Meanwhile, she also found someone who could take care of her needs. Though, she chose wrong as to how that has left her all wounded, physically and mentally.

Seeing Yashika speechless for few seconds, Dev says,' What? Did I miss anything? This is what you wrote.'

Yashika still doesn't speak, contemplating the following words from her mouth. 

'Yashika. It's alright. You can come clean about the real reason for leaving me,' says Dev.

'Real reason?' says Yashika thinking that there is no way he would know.

'C'mon. You got to know about the raid. And my supposed bankruptcy,' says Dev sarcastically. 

Yashika gets shocked at Dev's words. She loses her grip on the conversation. She doesn't know where to take it. 'Wha-what bankruptcy?' as she stutters. 

Dev scoffs dryly, watching her still acting innocent. 'It is fine. You can stop pretending. It doesn't matter now.'

'I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't know anything about the raid or the bankruptcy,' Yashika claims shamelessly. 

'I don't really care if it was the letter or the bankruptcy news. I have moved on. So should you,' says Dev, sincerely. 

'You think I left you because of the bankruptcy. That's why you have moved on,' exclaims Yashika.

'No. Because I have realised I have been in love with someone else this whole time,' replies Dev smiling.

'Her? You can't be,' says Yashika in total disbelief. 

'I know it's not easy to believe this. Trust me. It took me to years to realise this,' tells Dev.

'Years?' asks Yashika, getting puzzled.

Dev takes a brief pause as he elaborates,' I am sorry, but I don't think I have ever been honest with you about my feelings. Not even with myself. Not until Mahi came along. It was her who made me realise what real love is all about. What we had for those six years was not love. And that's why I don't blame you for leaving me like that. In fact, I am glad you did. If you didn't, then we would have been living a really miserable life together. How can I be in love with you when Mahi had already taken that place in my heart. Yes. I have been in love with her, even way before we met. It just in these past few months I was able to realise this.'

Yashika now somewhere understands the way he has been behaving. For however long, she denies it. But she can't ignore the way Dev's eyes speaks more than his words. She could clearly see that she has lost all her chances to get back with him. It just struck her that she had lost it years ago. 

'Way before me. Of course. I should have accepted it then only,' says Yashika thoughtfully. She continues,' Honestly, you are the real reason I disliked her from the moment I met her.' Yashika gives up on Dev and shares her opinion honestly,' Because you didn't stop looking at her in your sister's wedding, where you took me to meet your folks for the first time. I ignored it, thinking that she must be your old crush. But it was my mistake to ignore it. Now I know that I lost you then only.'

After cordially concluding the conversation with Yashika, Dev comes back to his room. He finds Mahi in bed, sleeping sideways. The small bedside lights were still on. She must have fallen asleep waiting for him, Dev thinks to himself. He quietly turns off the lights, leaving the dim lights under the bed. He takes the blanket under her feet and gently drapes it over her. He pauses for a few seconds, hovering over her, admiring her features in a dimly lit room. A smile takes over his lips as he sits on the footrest of the bed. He sits there for the next few minutes, gazing at sleeping Mahi. He takes her hand in his own. He looks at her, shifting in her sleep then, her eyes open, fluttering. She finds Dev sitting down next to the bed.

'Hey! Why are you sitting there?' asks in a sleepy voice. 

'Just watching you sleeping,' says Dev with a smile.

She shifts backwards, tapping lightly on the bed, gesturing him to come to bed. Dev does so. He gets into bed next to Mahi as she holds her head up for him to put his arm under it. He lies on his back, taking Mahi in arms, placing her head on his shoulder, closer to his chest. He softly strokes the back of her arms as he feels her breathing on his neck.

'Aren't you going to ask me? What we talked about?' asks Dev, smelling the fragrance of jasmine conditioner from her hair.

'I will. When I am wide awake,' says Mahi as she pats Dev's chest once and then stroking it gently. 

'Okay,' replies Dev smiling. He tries to control an urge at her cuteness but fails. He simultaneously caresses her face as he pulls it up to face him. He leans down sideways to take her lips in his own. He deepens the kiss, playing softly with the tip of his tongue on her lips. Mahi responds fervently. After few seconds, he completes the kiss by breaking away, tasting her from his own lips. 

Mahi asks,' What was that for?'

'I was just finishing what we were supposed to start downstairs. Before we got interrupted,' replies Dev calmly.

Mahi smiles, becoming shy as she sneaks her nose in the crook of his neck, hugging him tightly. Both fall asleep soon after, holding onto each other in a cuddle.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 3K 29
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." ♡ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...
772K 41.1K 82
This book contains triggering things like stalking, I don't know what I was thing while writing this. And I was a stupid teenager. Sorry for that! P...
184K 6.5K 43
"I'm not your personal doctor. And why the hell you want me to bandage your forhead when you have long list of girls to do it for you." I said glarin...
742K 28K 111
"Listen Dev. I..I am sorry. Please let me explain" I pleaded while taking my steps back. "Sorry? Really? Ms Aasha Sharma" he asked with a smirk. Now...