One Day You'll Know

By Shadowfax224

Middle-earth is in big trouble. Apparently Bilbo's magic ring was actually more than it seemed. So Gandalf ca... More

Chapter 2- Very Old Friends
Chapter 3- A Long-Expected Party
Chapter 4- The Approaching Darkness
Chapter 5- The Journey Begins
Chapter 6- The Worst Shortcut Ever
Chapter 7- A Close Call
Chapter 8- The Prancing Pony
Chapter 9- Strider
Chapter 10- Into the Wild
Chapter 11- Failure
Chapter 12- Back in Rivendell
Chapter 13- Many Old Friends
Chapter 14- The Fellowship of the Ring
Chapter 15- Downtime Reading
Chapter 16- The Ring Goes South
Chapter 17- Voice on the Mountain
Chapter 18- Journey in the Dark
Chapter 19- The Mirror
Chapter 20- The Gift
Chapter 21- Breaking of the Fellowship
Chapter 22- On the Trail of the Uruk-hai
Chapter 23- Hope Restored
Chapter 24- The Golden Hall
Chapter 25- Recalling the Clone Wars
Chapter 26- The Wolves of Isengard
Chapter 27- The Truth
Chapter 28- The Battle
Chapter 29- The Voice of Saruman
Chapter 30- A Deal and Questions
Chapter 31- I Want to Run
Chapter 32- Looking in the Wrong Places
Chapter 33- Light in the Darkness
Chapter 34- Final Decisions
Chapter 35- The End of All Things
Chapter 36- The Return of the King
Chapter 37- One With the Force
Chapter 38- One Day You'll Know
Book 4 of this series

Chapter 1- Return to Middle-earth

776 11 1
By Shadowfax224

"Where are we?" Noelle asked, blinking from the blinding light of Gandalf's staff.

"We are in a forest several miles outside Hobbiton," Gandalf answered as he blew out the light on his staff. He was eyeing Noelle cautiously as she glanced around the woods.

"Hobbiton?"

"Yes Noelle," Gandalf replied. "You've been here before. Don't you remember?"

"Oh yeah..." Noelle shivered even though it was fairly warm. The sensation of an icy chill still clung to her and she wrapped Ahsoka's grey cloak tighter around herself. She noticed Gandalf watching her. "What?"

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah... I just..." Noelle was still in a state of shock over what had happened. She hadn't had time to comprehend the dark figure that had tried to kill her earlier. What was that thing anyway? Getting herself back together, Noelle's questions came pouring out. "Where were you?! Why did you come back, and why are we herespecifically?" she got out all in one breath.

"I will answer one question at a time," said Gandalf. "I haven't been anywhere other than here- in Middle-earth. I sensed something terrible had happened to you so I came back to find you. But I also brought you here for another reason."

"What's that?"

"I am not certain yet, but Evil has been growing. If I am correct in my guess, then I will need your help."

Noelle just stared at him.

"If you don't want to be here, I am not forcing-"

"No..." Noelle interrupted. In truth, she hadn't really thought out what she was going to do if the Jedi didn't work out, but she would help if need be. After all, what else was she going to do, go home? "I'll stay. I'll help," she said.

Gandalf nodded. "Then you have my thanks." He started to walk away. Noelle assumed she was supposed to follow him. "Gandalf?" she asked, catching up. "What exactly isgoing on?"

Gandalf took a deep breath. "I don't know for certain yet, Noelle. I have my suspicions, nothing more."

"Suspicions about what?"

"Remember the ring Bilbo found in the goblin-tunnels?"

"Yes- wait a minute. How do you know about that?" Noelle didn't think Bilbo would tell him.

"I would think that you should have known by now that I am very observant," Gandalf said with a teasing smile. He continued. "I suspect that Bilbo's ring could actually be..."

"What?"

"The One Ring."

The One Ring. Noelle hadn't read about it, but she had heard about it. Her knowledge of the history of Middle-earth didn't really go up to the more recent times, so the One Ring wasn't exactly something that had been documented yet. Gandalf had briefly explained to her what it was one time when Noelle had been studying the Dark Lord Sauron. He (Sauron) had created the Ring in Mordor and into it, he poured most of his power. He also used the Ring to deceive and corrupt other people who also possessed magic rings.

"So Bilbo has Sauron's evil ring?" Noelle said slowly.

"Maybe. I need to find out more for myself before I am certain."

Up ahead in the clearing was a brown horse attached to a wagon. There was no driver. "Are you meeting someone?" Noelle asked frowning.

"Not that I am aware of," Gandalf climbed into the driver's seat. He raised his bushy eyebrows at her. "Are you coming or not?"

Noelle smiled for the first time in a while. "Yeah." She climbed in next to him. She turned around a bit in her seat, trying to see what was in the back of the cart. "Fireworks!?" she exclaimed, laughing. "Gandalf! What are you up to?"

"What?" he asked innocently. "It's Bilbo's birthday party! I can't show up without fireworks!"

"Birthday party? Bilbo'sthrowing parties now?" Noelle asked in disbelief. She thought Bilbo didn't like parties. "How old will he be?"

"One-hundred and eleven, I believe."

"One-hundred and eleven! How long has it been since I was last here?"

Gandalf thought for a minute. "Approximately sixty years."

Sixty years! Noelle couldn't believe it. To her it had only been three years since she was last here. When she left, she was around seventeen. Now, she was about twenty. She wasn't really surprised though. Gandalf had said before that time worked differently in different parts of the universe. A small part of her wondered how much time had passed back home on Earth.

They rode in silence for a while longer. Noelle appreciated the scenery. It had been so long since she was last in the Shire. If there was any place in Middle-earth where she felt most at home, it was here. The Shire was nothing like she had ever seen in a galaxy far, far away. The sky today was a beautiful blue (like her eyes), and the meadows that were filled with sheep and cows looked like they could go on forever and ever. In addition, there was a comforting breeze that blew her dark brown hair away from her face. It made Noelle forget her troubles for a moment until Gandalf broke her thoughts.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?"

Noelle froze. She had a feeling he was going to ask. She might as well just tell him what she knew instead of putting it off. If she did, he would just keep asking her. "The Jedi were fighting in a war, commanding armies. The Clone War was orchestrated by a Sith Lord called Sidious. He created the Republic's clone army, to kill the Jedi." She swallowed remembering how Captain Rex, whom she had known for years had tried to kill her and Ahsoka with literally no explanation.

"Oh my... I sensed something terrible happening to the Jedi, and that's when I decided that it would be best to go back and find you."

"You were too late," Noelle whispered. She didn't mean it in an accusatory way- it was just what happened. "Our battalion turned against us. We survived, but not without casualties," she whispered. "Our ship crashed, almost everyone died."

"I am so sorry," Gandalf said quietly. "Perhaps I made a mistake sending you there. I thought it was for the best."

"No, Gandalf! It's not your fault. I don't regret my time there at all- I learned so much, and met so many amazing people. The Jedi were wrong. They strayed from their path and failed to see the evil right under their noses... I just wish it hadn't ended this way." Noelle was relieved to not have to worry about escaping Darth Sidious, but she wondered what happened to everyone else. Especially Anakin. After Darth Maul's revelation, she was very concerned about him.

"Well, I suppose there is a reason for everything," he said. "That's why I left. The Jedi were restrictive and failed to uphold the standards of the Order. Besides, my place is here in Middle-earth." They entered a clearing in the woods. Then, Gandalf began humming a song. Noelle only heard Gandalf sing when he was in a happy mood. The news of the Jedi must not dampened his spirits too much.

The Road goes ever on and on.

Down from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the road has gone.

And I must follow if I can-

"You'relate!" came a young male voice that startled Noelle. Standing on a grassy ledge to her right was a hobbit who didn't look much older than her. He had his arms crossed in a fake superior stance.

Gandalf slowly turned to look at him from under his huge pointy hat. "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives preciselywhen he means to!"

Baggins? I didn't know Bilbo had a son. Noelle thought.

The two stared at each other for a moment then burst into laughter. Frodo Baggins jumped down into their cart, scrambled past Noelle and Gandalf enveloped him in a big hug. Noelle wished her reunion with Gandalf had been that joyous.

"It's wonderful to see you Gandalf!" Frodo exclaimed.

"You didn't think I'd miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday?" Gandalf asked, his eyes twinkling. They both chuckled. Frodo glanced at Noelle.

"Frodo, allow me to introduce you to Noelle Smith. Noelle, this is Frodo Baggins, Bilbo's nephew."

Frodo's eyes lit up. "Noelle! It's wonderful to meet you. Uncle Bilbo talks about you and your cousin all the time. Is she here too?"

Noelle smiled sadly. "No, she's not. I haven't seen my cousin Bern in almost three years."

"Well, you two sounded like real heroes!"

To Noelle it sounded like Frodo either read too many stories, or Bilbo was over-exaggerating. Probably the latter. It seemed like Bilbo had changed a lot since last time she saw him.

"So where are you headed, Gandalf?" he asked.

"To Bag-End," said Gandalf simply. "You're welcome to ride with us."

Frodo sat down next to Noelle. As they strolled along, they passed a field filled with bright yellow flowers and farming hobbits. Noelle learned quickly that Frodo was quite chatty. "So! What news of the outside world? Tell me everything!"

"Everything?" Gandalf laughed in surprise. "You're far too eager and curious for a hobbit- most unnatural."

"Yeah," Noelle jumped in, trying not to sound smug. "Most hobbits prefer to be uh... left alone."

Gandalf gave her a sharp look, then turned his attention back to Frodo. "Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past age, full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits. For which I am very thankful." He said the last part under his breath.

They crossed a small stone bridge over a creek, which led into the heart of Hobbiton. There was more commotion than Noelle had seen last time. Then again, Noelle had never been in this part before. The market was bustling with customers, stray animals, and lively children. It was like some big event was going on. Noelle could hear people saying Gandalf's name, and she noticed she was getting some curious looks. Gandalf might be well-known around here, but shewasn't.

Upon leaving the marketplace, they passed a large open field where a large tent was being set up and a yellow banner that read "Happy Birthday Bilbo Baggins" was flying proud and high.

"Ooh! A long-expected party!" Gandalf commented. "So how is the old rascal?" he asked Frodo. "I hear it's going to be a party of special magnificence."

"You know Bilbo. He's got the whole place in an uproar," Frodo replied, shaking his head.

"Oh well, that should please him." Gandalf was talking with his pipe in his mouth. As usual, Noelle thought rolling her eyes.

"Half the Shire's been invited."

"Good gracious me!" said Gandalf.

"He's up to something..."

Gandalf didn't answer him.

"Alright then, keep your secrets!" Frodo exclaimed.

"Better get used to it, Frodo," Noelle said, shaking her head. "I've known him for years, yet I still can never understand him."

"It doesn't surprise me, but before you came along we Bagginses were very well-thought of," he said to Gandalf pointedly.

"Indeed?"

"Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected."

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was, give your uncle a little nudge out of the door."

"Yeah right," Noelle said rolling her eyes again. Why was Gandalf acting so strange today? "Gandalf, you've just made the understatement of the century!" she laughed.

"Whatever he did, he's been officially labeled a 'disturber of the peace,'" Frodo stated.

"The most accurate title he's ever had!" Noelle and Frodo were both laughing now. Gandalf ignored them.

"Gandalf! Gandalf!" came the hobbit children's voices. Pretty soon, they were being followed by swarms of them.

"Why are they following us?" Noelle whispered to Frodo.

Frodo glanced at Gandalf with a half-smile.

"Fireworks Gandalf!" cried one little girl.

Noelle didn't know how he did it (she never had) but he made a sparkle and a crack of fireworks from behind their cart. The hobbit kids cheered and Gandalf chuckled.

"Gandalf, I'm glad you'reback," said Frodo. Then he leapt off the cart.

"So am I dear boy!" Gandalf called as Frodo disappeared into the woods. "So am I."

They headed up the familiar road that led to Bag End. It all looked the same as if nothing had changed from when Noelle was last there. The stone wall was still there and the door was still painted green. The only difference was the sign on Bilbo's gate that read "no admittance except on party business."

Noelle smiled slightly to herself. It was good to be back.

________________________

Disclaimer: I only own Noelle. I do not own Middle-earth or Lord of the Rings. All characters, locations, and events were created by J.R.R. Tolkien and are owned by Middle-earth Enterprises. All Star Wars form of media mentioned is owned by

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 152 36
The first in an eight part series. After training with Gandalf for seven years, Noelle Smith has finally got her first mission- to another world. How...
7.6K 72 32
Adira, age 21, is pulled into Middle Earth. When she agrees to go on a quest with the fellowship to save the world, her story takes a dark turn. Thi...
20.3K 731 34
๐—Ÿ๐—ฒ๐—ด๐—ผ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜… (๐—™๐—ฒ๐—บ) ๐—ผ๐—ฐ ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ, แด›สœแด‡ ๊œฐแด€แด‡ส€ษชแด‡ แด˜ส€ษชษดแด„แด‡๊œฑ๊œฑ แดŠแดษชษด๊œฑ แด›สœแด‡ ๊œฐแด‡สŸสŸแดแดก๊œฑสœษชแด˜ แดษด แด›สœแด‡ษชส€ แดŠแดแดœส€ษดแด‡ส แด›แด ๊œฑแด€แด แด‡ แดษชแด…แด…สŸแด‡-แด‡แด€ส€แด›สœ, แด€ษดแด… ๊œฐษชษดแด…๊œฑ สŸแดแด แด‡ แด€สŸแดษดษข แด›สœแด‡ แดกแด€...
164K 7.3K 27
It has been over seven decades since Arya left everything she knew behind. Friends, foes, Legolas. Now, an old enemy is threatening Middle Earth, and...