No Way To Escape | Novel

By Sobhan11

GENRE:- Mystery-Horror-Thriller A city of dreams, as it is deemed, Reynburg has been a happy-hunting ground f... More

PREFACE
CHAPTER 2: A VISIT TO THE WARWICK'S
CHAPTER 3: LARRY
CHAPTER 4: THE SEARCH
CHAPTER 5: FOUND
CHAPTER 6: THE SINISTER BEGINS
CHAPTER 7: DAWN
CHAPTER 8: NIGHTMARE
CHAPTER 9: THE SMELL
CHAPTER 10: VOICE
CHAPTER 11: DR. EASTWOOD
CHAPTER 12: SILHOUETTE
CHAPTER 13: THOUGHTS
CHAPTER 14: LUNATIC
CHAPTER 15: FRED
CHAPTER 16: INTERROGATION
CHAPTER 17: AT DINNER
CHAPTER 18: LARRY
CHAPTER 19: BACK AT THE WARWICK'S
CHAPTER 20: AT THE MORTUARY
CHAPTER 21: AT LARRY'S
CHAPTER 22: EULOGY
CHAPTER 23: "IT'S YOU"
CHAPTER 24: DISBELIEVE
CHAPTER 25: AT OFFICE
CHAPTER 26: A NASTY MORNING
CHAPTER 27: GUESTS
CHAPTER 28: TIME OUT WITH RICK
CHAPTER 29: THE EVIL COMES BACK
CHAPTER 30: THE TREPIDATION
CHAPTER 31: HOPE AND FEAR
CHAPTER 32: BACK HOME
CHAPTER 33: IN THE WOODS
CHAPTER 34: THE UNCANNY TRIP
CHAPTER 35: PARTING
CHAPTER 36: MEETING HIM
CHAPTER 37: FATHER RICHARD
CHAPTER 38: THE REVELATION
CHAPTER 39: AFFLICTION
CHAPTER 40: EDWARD-I
CHAPTER 41: EDWARD-II
CHAPTER 42: EDWARD-III
CHAPTER 43: PRELUDE TO THE CULMINATION
CHAPTER 44: THE HOMICIDE
CHAPTER 45: 'PUNISH ME'
CHAPTER 46: BANISHMENT
CHAPTER 47: A NEW HOPE
CHAPTER 48: THE TRUE IDENTITY
CHAPTER 49: THE DOCUMENTS
CHAPTER 50: 'SIR'
CHAPTER 51: IN THE ATTIC
CHAPTER 52: THE REMEDY
CHAPTER 53: SILVER
CHAPTER 54: SETTING UP
CHAPTER 55: THE POLTERGEIST ASSAULT
CHAPTER 56: DOMINATION
CHAPTER 57: SUBMISSION
CHAPTER 58: THE DREAM
CHAPTER 59: 'FEAR IS THE FODDER'
CHAPTER 60: THE RITUAL
CHAPTER 61: 'IS IT GONE?'
CHAPTER 62: THE EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER 1: THE PARTY

229 65 67
By Sobhan11

What a night it was! Fred had thrown us three - Bob, Larry and me, a party at his place as he had finally got a job in Reynburg.

Four of us hail from a small town called Kyland and had come to Reynburg just 2 months back in search of jobs as we all led a miserable life of unemployment back in there even though we were aptly qualified. My father had helped us all settle once we were here. And destiny got kind on us when we came here as we soon got our jobs.

We all had been constant companions  and best friends since our early schooling days and had always been together since then. Bob Wilson and me, Liam Hall, your narrator, were the first to get an errand. We were simultaneously handed over our jobs as employees at the Mark Industries after one month of arrival. Then it was Larry Hughes, who got the job of a manager at the Serene Hotel just ten days back and now it was Frederick Williams 'Fred' who had now got the job as an editor for Hamilton Publishers and Co.

....

'Yeah sir, absolutely fine. I shall do that and submit the forms to you tomorrow morning only. You don't need to worry', said Bob as he entered Fred's house. Larry and I were already present there.

'What's up, Bob? You seem worried', I asked.

'Ah you know that fatso. My filthy boss. He wants me to submit a 30-page legit for the new Alpha Guidelines. That too tomorrow morning. Holy –'

'Um, you haven't disconnected yet, Bobby', said Fred as he came out of the kitchen.

Bob checked his phone in fright as he heard Fred's words. Obviously, Fred was joking. All of us cackled merrily.

'Look, look. Did ya all notice that ephemeral change in his face?', asked Fred cheerfully. Our cackle burst into laughter as our eyes followed Bob's shell-shocked face.

A comically angry Bob chased Fred into the kitchen as I and Larry continued with our sniggers.

For the next hour or so we were all busy playing different board games as Fred was busy preparing some lavish dinner. He had been famous in the college for his cookery skills and we always used to enjoy his food in all celebrations.

After an hour, Fred came out of the kitchen, putting aside his apron and whooped, 'Those who want to dance...'

We all looked up to him.

'... no need to raise your hands. Just dance, ladies!', he screamed, turning on the music player.

First it was Larry who leaped unto the couch and started dancing like a madman to the tunes. He was uncontrollable. He went on dancing as if it was the last day of his life. It was not a new thing to him or for us to witness. The thing which impresses Larry the most in this world is nothing but dance. And once he is there in his zone, it is very difficult to pull him out of it. He can also go on dancing in the absence of music.

After having a merry dance session, we all became tired and sat down to dine.

....

Finally, it was a great party by Fred and we all enjoyed it to the fullest. The atmosphere was filled with an aroma of different delicacies and the resonance of loud music. By the end of the party, we all had eaten up to our necks.

'Oh, I can't nibble anymore...', Bob said, giving out a loud belch which got all of us to cackle.

'Enough for tonight', I said and with this we left the dining table one by one.

Being a butterball for the greater part of his life was the biggest trait of Bob. Since childhood he had always been fond of eating. He had a fair complexion, stood at a height of one hundred and seventy-two centimeters and had the weirdest dressing sense among us all because of which he was often made fun of, mostly by Fred. He also had another bad habit-- he had no control over his mouth and it could get annoying at some situations.

Bob bade all of us good-bye and left for his home on his two-wheeler. I and Larry had some chat with Fred for about half an hour and then we too left. Fred was naturally a very nice person at heart and a handsome man who was the shortest among us. He was a wise man.

Coming out of Fred's house, Larry said to me, 'Oh God, I think I ate too much more than required. Need to walk back home. Will ya join me?'. Larry and I lived in the same building. He lived on second floor while I lived on fourth floor. We had come together by taxi from our building, The Grand Heights, adjacent to the Christopher Avenue Street which was two miles away from Fred's house. I was also feeling very full so I decided to accompany him in walking. Therefore, I affirmed with his suggestion. With this we started our walk back home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

398K 12.1K 51
UNEDITED/poorly written when I was younger (needs severe editing) "Becky, I'm scared! Someone's following me and I don't think I can make it home! Pl...
65.7K 3.3K 25
BOOK TWO- Male Reader Version After being fired from the Sanitarium, the slashers were determined to be with you again. Breaking out, they travelled...
363K 27.5K 23
[Formerly Featured/Award-Winning Novella/#2 in Horror] There is something eerie about this village -- this hole of silent, maddened people. In 1922...
The Rapunzels By Mumma Vamp

Mystery / Thriller

1.4K 294 17
Confined to the family's estate since birth, three sisters have never seen the outside world. Taught they are unable to leave home due to their long...