Tangled Fates!! ( Manan ff)

By the_introverted_soul

Edited by : @paheljain Cover credit: @awesomeshivu Zindagi se kuch zyada nhi bus itni si farmaaish hai, t... More

1~ Beginning!
2~ The Night We Met
4~ Strangers In The Night
5~ Butterflies in the tummy?
6~ My Sweet Adversary or Whatever!
7~ A Wish Granting Factory!
8~ Casually Cruel...
9~ Let's kick some ass...
10~ The City lights..
11~ Tug of hearts
12~ Brewing friendships...
13~ Mumbai and midnights.
14~ Street food and death glare(s)
15~ Tantrum queen and Romance King in the making
16~ Call it what you want

3~ Monday blues, who?

456 90 34
By the_introverted_soul

" Ughhh!"

" Groaning ain't gonna help your ass now Murthy, Should have thought before gulping those shots down" passing a cup of black coffee Navya glared at her grumpy friend who currently sat writhing in pain.

" Navyaa yaar!! Not now my head is already blasting! Where were my senses last night! Ughh!"

" passed out on the couch before the loo" Navya said, rushing to finish the last minute chores before leaving for work.

" WHAT!..I cannot recollect any god damm thing...I hope it wasn't that bad" Clutching her head; Nandini spoke stressing to get some memory but nothing came, apart from some vague clips of them dancing.

Before she could strain much, her cell phone blazed demanding her attention.

Lamentating at the abrupt intolerable noise that worsened the already lethal headache, she reached out for her cell picking up the call.

" Hello! Nandini?" startled by the familiar voice from the other side, she sat up straight.

" Hello...hello sir!"

" Hello Nandini, There's something really important and you don't sound all that great...call me back in five?" It was the director from her last shoot, mumbling a curse she excused herself and sprinted away to freshen up. She sure must have sounded terribly drowsy.

' Ughh! Amazing start of a new day, first hand embarrassment! way to go Murthy!' groaning she reached out for her cell.

" Yes Sir!?"

" Nandini, You said you didn't have much on your sleeve at the moment right? So maybe I have got a deal for you. He's one of my closest associate in the industry, there's a movie he's pitching for and I really think it would boast your name in the circle."

" umm...Sure sir, I know I can trust you with this but I was hoping for a brief account here, just so I can decide for the best!"

" Sure yes! That's exactly why I called you. There's a table read scheduled today at 2 pm so maybe you can drop by and meet Nitesh..the director."

" Oh..alright then, that sounds great! Thank you so much sir."

" You deserve this darling! Make me proud."

Muttering a quick sure with the necessary adieu, she jumped up straight grasping the moment: Like OMG!! This is legit going to be her first Bollywood freaking movie...How do one not expect a girl to lose her shit!

" Navyaa!!!" screaming her glea away, she hopped startling the poor soul. Almost tormenting her heart before twirling her around by arms, both besties yelling their lungs out; different reasons of course!

" You crazy woman stop this or I swear you won't live to see tomorrow!" Navya warned,clearly frustrated with the at home amusement ride.

" okay...okay miss grumpy pants. How freaky will the DOP of an actual freaking movie being a spirit sound!?"

" Yeah, that sure would get headlines......wait! WHAT!"

" omg! Yayyyeee! I feel like such a proud momma right now!"

" hahaha oh youuu!!! Aacha..I have to rush, the table read is at 2, gotta be there..!"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

" Alright Nandini, it is no bigge just be you and let your work speak."

All such major firsts are bound to be backed my nerve wrecking anxiety, and guess Nandini stood no exception to it.

While she waited for Mr. shah to show up in one of the high end cafes of the South Bombay she gave herself the much needed pep talk.

{" Don't you stress darling, YOU HAVE GOT THIS! I trust you. Kill it. I will get the drinks on my way back for the celebration. Much love."}

{" I got the NEWS of the day!!! Are you kidding me!!! A movie!!??? Damn babe! Already so proud!!  Go for it cutie! You will nail this one, I know it is yours already... "}

Her cell phone buzzed with a message, it was Navya and Aryamaan. Smiling at her crazy friends also lowkey feeling grateful to have such people who held immense faith in her. She knew a part of her success is because of such undying support she receives from her besties!!!

A call for her distracted her chain of thoughts, looking over she saw Mr. shah walking through the door towards her. Standing up she greeted him.

" So..how excited are you for this one!!"

He said, occupying the seat besides her and calling for a coffee for them both.

" I am ecstatic to say the least, but honestly as excited I am for this it is also overwhelming and all sorts of jittery"

" Don't you worry Nandini! Your work is great and I am sure only that will do the deed but the determination and your religious dedication to your craft is what makes you stand out. The passion you hold is apparent and that is what will drive people to choose you and that is what makes your work so special. It is also the sole reason I pushed your name for this very project because this story requires the vision that you possess when delivering your tale and also because I have worked with you and I know where you stand. I think you deserve to make a debut in the big glam world by this tale...make it yours Nandini!"

Nandini had always admired this man for the kind of work he has etched in his legacy, she had studied his art for an ample amount of her Film school projects and having the same person admire and compliment her cinematography was a huge deal for her.

She only smiled at him in acknowledgement grasping his words that also managed to award her some confidence boost for the upcoming events.

They soon got indulged in discussing work and otherwise waiting for the rest of the company for the day to join in.

Soon enough it was time for the table ready to commence and almost everyone expected had showed up only the protagonist was missing.

That is when it clicked her that in all her first time shivers it absolutely escaped her to enquire about the cast, but better late than never so she leaned in to have a word with Mr.Shah but before she could utter a consonant a hoarse voice interrupted.

" I am extremely sorry everyone but guess Mumbai traffic spares none!"

He came in like a strom that will destroy all aspects of her or will clear all those obstacles she held undeservingly close to her, either ways it will leave her craving for more.

APPALLED. DUMBFOUNDED. STUPEFIED. 

No adjective could put across stressing just enough on the hurricane of feelings rushing through her veins at this very moment. It was so much closer to how one would feel when all the air out of them is sucked away.

How else do we expect her to be when the one person who became the most prominent reason in her exploring and discovering her passion, who unintentionally brought so much meaning to her life and who she was intensely infatuated to stood right across the table casually getting off his shades and making himself comfortable while he chatted his charm off with the people around on a casual morning of a goddamn MONDAY!

DAMN HER IF SHE WOULD MIND SUCH MONDAY BLUES!

•••••••••••••••••••••••

" We mean to set this story up with a backdrop highlighting the economic contrast and disparity otherwise in this city of dreams. Juggling between missed opportunities and forced labor, between the vibrance and the dark. My point to put across is that we need to make this story capable enough to strike a chord with the audience, wallop their emotions yet provide them with escape within the hard fact reality....

It is because Manik has spent most his life in this city this will just come in handy to us with respect to various nuances that we aim to cover and well, Nandini. I have heard so much already about your work from my dear friend here and have seen a few projects you have worked on and to say that you have only just set your foot in this field will be a shame!"

Mr.Gupta, the director and writer for the film briefed us. I smiled warmly at the veteran and his polite words directed towards me I would be lying if I say I wasn't overwhelmed or just absolutely flushed at such humble attributes by people who were known for the kind of tale and quality of cinema they bring to the table.

" And so, I would like you to be on board with the project Nandini."

{Did I just bagged a bollywood debut for myself!? GUESS WHAT...I JUST FREAKING DID!!! }

" It would be my utmost pleasure to work with you sir!"

It was the toughest job to keep a straight face and behave like a rational sane human being when all you want to do is scream your lungs out yelling the news to the world. I am sure none of my excitement went unnoticed, the huge unapologetic smile that lay flat on my face was so much of a proof.

Concluding the motive for the day with a short remark Mr. Gupta and Mr. Shah sneaked for a talk that makes the four of us now occupying the table.

The producer, his manager, Me and of course Manik.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Now, All this while when I vehemently stayed determined to let his presence around me not flip my whole of insides in a obnoxious mess holding on my firm ground and not acting up in a way that will only bestow me with decades of embarrassment enough to just never see the face of no human any longer, but, as moments went by with the other two for company intensely involved in a conversation leaving the both of us awkwardly glancing back and forth and reaching for water a slightly undue number of times, the awkwardness just grew on us.

I kid you not when I say I could feel a sweat bead sloppily sliding from my forehead running through the entire length of my face before finally disappearing into oblivion in a fully functional air conditioned room for god's sake!!!

So much for being professional!

I was still ONLY getting accustomed to the fact that he is present at this same very table and that we were gonna WORK together was way out of my brain's humble capacity to process.

Was the universe generally this giving or am I just lucky!

Whichever the case was, the inner fangirl in me was this close to lose her shit, just the fact that she was completely starstruck is something that kept from my name from being framed as a global ambassador for embarrassment.

" Nandini, this right here is your chance! Go and conquer.... Maybe start with a sleek pick up line", That was the dare devil side of me who usually puts a show when I lose every ounce of ability to feel shame.

(And make him think of me as a clown forever? NO THANKS! And conquer what? And who?. Here I can barely manage my basic bodily function almost pleading my way through for them to not act up and damn don't even get me started on how the most I mistrust on at this moment are my voc chords. Bitches ditch me everytime I am in dire need!)

" What are you? A teenager? Looking to start a conversation with a guy she simps for!? I mean the simping part holds true here but common, woman up for christ's sake. Have some gall and make sure you have some face at the end of the chat too!...just saying"

(" Why do I need nemesis when I am my biggest enemy!....But it isn't wrong either I should start a conversation we will be working together and I wouldn't want to began on a wrong foot, not with him. Yes Nandini, you can do it just start with appreciating his work everybody likes to be complimented I am sure it will go easy then on!)

# An intense one-on-one conversation with your very dear self at the time of adversity is what will help you get through most of your life. Trust me #

While I mentally prepared myself to gear up and just speak I heard a raspy voice brace my quenched ears.

" Hey!"

And boy was I whipped!

That's all he needed, a plain simple hey and that smug of a smile to put all those minutes of encouragement down the drain.

" Hi."

I forced myself to smile back whilst begging my voice to not dump on me at this very moment as I held back form gapping at him like a creep.

" Manik...Manik Malhotra!"

Aw! Sweet. Like I already not know everything there is to know about a person, decent and awfully indecent. Put up the facade Nandini you don't to scare the poor soul now, do you?

" Nandini Murthy!"

I said while reaching out for his outstretched hand for a handshake. I don't know about the dramatic ' a shiver ran down my spine with his touch' part but man did it feel alien, honestly all of it felt so out of ordinary to me. Surreal was the word.

" How can I miss on that name, you have been the topic of applause on the table throught out. Honestly I would be lying if I say my ego isn't bruised "

He said throwing a slight smirk my way.

" If that helps I am willing to buy you an ointment"

Woah! Was that my voice and, my words? I didn't think I was capable enough to even utter a syllable until this moment. Guess, humans do not realise their potential.

" I don't know about that but maybe a coffee is a better healer? So you can buy me that!"

He leaned in gently on his elbows, his eyes stayed put to my face and his lips pulled up in a half smile almost making me giddy.

Will I even make through this cafe without passing out!

Holding back my composure I called for a butler and we placed our preference.

Minutes before our orders arrived silence loomed between us but this time it was far better since we also got indulged in the occasionally short conversations with the producer about when's and what's of our first schedule.

" So when did it came to you that cinematography was the way to dive into. Because sadly so we do not have enough women representation in the flim space, I am sure the story will be enticing enough."

Huh! Talk of life's Irony.

His little question dragged me down to the very memory of that one accidentally fortunate day only for me to experience the surge of such overwhelming mix of emotions.

It was almost like, the devil asking Eve the reason of her temptation.

Mr. Gupta chirped striking a conversation with him, filling in the silence my reverie created sparing me the need to answer.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

" I will update you guys about the schedules and preferred costume mocks too by the coming week."

Mr.Gupta's manager informed us that both of us acknowledged with a slight nod.

" Alright guys! I can already see us winning as a team. So let's keep the same spirit and see each other soon? Adios until next time."

With that majority of our company for the morning had left with the necessary adieu, leaving Manik, me and Mr. Shah almost ready to leave as well.

Manik walked towards us, possibly to say his goodbyes with a quick conversation with Mr.Shah he spared his attention to me.

" Ms.Murthy! It was my absolute pleasure to see you least to say I am extremely pumped up to share a project."

" Same! Mr.Malhotra."

I replied, with a smile. His lips moved just enough to say something only to get interrupted by Sir.

" Nandini, Let me give you a ride I am passing through the same route."

Giving him a positive reply and Manik a small acknowledging smile I turned to walk away.

" Ms.Murthy!"

His partially husk call made my steps halt at once with my torso now partially facing him.

I raised my eyebrow in question seeing him stand leaning on the table, hands crossed around his chest and a smirk settled on his gorgeously perfect face.

" Manik. It is"

A second into it and my confused frown was replaced by a flushed face which caused his smirk to widen further.

With painfully slow steps that he took towards my nervous self the giddiness in the pit of my stomach grew.

(Now cut your girl some slag alright, I ain't shy but what do one do when you have a guy you have been crushing over rather hardcore fangirling over walks over to you closer with each annoyingly palpable steps. My sympathetic system was on his highest best the very little sanity I managed to hold on to during the meeting was solely to have mercy on my career but now there was NO such setting NO people in fancy clothes and big words. NONE of that.

Which transpires to only one inference.

That your girl is closer to losing her shit!

Only the heavenly sweet DEVIL can save my ass now.

Damn! Will this guy give me a second to breathe, how will I, if he keeps looking at me with those greek godly face and eyes which seem closer to scaning my soul and that goddamned smirk that just feels like will be a reason enough to ruin me and god will I just willingly consent to that.)

He whispered leaning closer to me, his breath falling right on my neck as he spoke.

Kill me already!

" Ms.Murthy, I hope your hangover wasn't all that bad"

Wait a minute, How did he...how did he know!? 

Well, just then my brain decided to slap events of the previous night right across my face.

Guess, we had our own little meet cute.

yeh tumne kaisa raabta rakha,
na qareeb aaye, na faasla rakha...

~unknown

Here comes the much awaited meet!

lemme know what u think should happen next. Do like and comment ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 676 20
A story of a powerful girl, President Nandini Murthy and a shy boy Manik Malhotra. Manik Malhotra, a bubbly and chubby boy who loves and trusts every...
3.9K 604 9
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that had the intensity of burning me to ashes." "He's the one to break me but I can't help falling for...
430K 42.7K 62
#1 in humor on 24.01.2018 Picture this- You are a huge fan of a singer from your favourite band. Your day starts looking at his picture on the wall o...
172K 8.4K 22
|82th position in romance| ******************************************* Two people. Two families. Friendship. And a combination of a rich arrogant an...