THIN ICE |BOOK I |BWWM|

By the_euphoriaaa

After a failed marriage with the Underboss of one of the most powerful crime families, Julia Nicolette Manisc... More

•COPYRIGHT•
•AUTHOR'S NOTE•
•CHARATERS•
•ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2, ᴘᴀʀᴛ II•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 22•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24, ᴘᴀʀᴛ I•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24, ᴘᴀʀᴛ II•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 26, ᴘᴀʀᴛ I•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 26, ᴘᴀʀᴛ II•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 27•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 31•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 33•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 34•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 36•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 38•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 39 - ᴛʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ•
•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40 - Q&A•

•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15•

658 62 12
By the_euphoriaaa

A/N: I don't usually put my A/N in the beginning, but you if you play the song above when you see this symbol [🔈] and read along with the music. It'll make it 20x better. I promise.

•SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

"Pasta e Fagioli? Okay. That's a shame I didn't get to make it for you this time. We're in the process of....relocating." Matias cheesed as he dug into the cotton candy he got from a stand a few minutes ago.

"It's okay. Next time. Okay your turn." I squeezed my eyes shut as the blueberry blast slushie made its way to my brain.

"Ah, hmm, okay. I guess I'll get a little personal."

One eye popped open, skeptically looking at Matais.

"Calm down, I'm not gonna ask anything crazy. Just want to know about Nicolai's dad."

I paused mid-sip, "What about him?"

"Where is he?"

No doubt I was getting more comfortable with Matias, but I wasn't an idiot.

"Dead. Next question."

Matias' eyes narrowed as he pursed his lips and I hoped he would just drop it. It was probably a dumb idea to play Twenty Questions in the first place, but in my defense, I hadn't been on a date in forever so I panicked.

"Actually, it's your turn." He smiled while his doubtful gaze still lingered.

"Eh, it's okay. You can do another."

"Okay... how do you know Olivia?" He asked as he tore a piece of bright pink cotton candy and popped it into his mouth.

"We grew up together as kids. Our dads were best friends."

"Your dad is friends with Stefano?"

"Was. He was killed when I was like eleven."

I sighed and stirred my straw as we neared a wooden table and sat down. Matías distractedly picked at the fluffy treat in his hand as a thoughtful stare captured his face.

"So... you're father was Terrance Ricks?"

"Mmmmhhhhmmmm."

"Huh." He breathed out as if coming to a realization.

"What? You knew him too?"

"Not personally. Um, just curious. When you said the other night that you'd heard stories, ya' know, about my family, what," -he paused- "What stories have you heard?"

"Really? This is supposed to be a date and you want me to tell you why I don't want to be with you?"

"I thought I was allowed to ask questions too."

I pulled some cotton candy into my mouth and cleared my throat as I smiled.

"Well, I heard that um... Joanna, Don Franco's wife... was killed by your family."

Matias' face paled as his jaw tightened.

"Who told you that?" He spoke through clenched teeth.

Olivia.

"I don't remember, it was something I just heard around."

"Hm." His suspicious pupils studied my face for a moment before he leaned back.

"What?"

He silently shook his head as he chewed on the inside of his bottom lip. I sipped on my drink as silence joined us for the next thirty minutes. Between the screaming kids and soft glances I would toss to Matías' furrowed brow, it was actually pretty nice.

I hardly did fun things like this with my ex. Nothing but house work, family dinners, and date nights that used to be fun but eventually just turned into dinner and rough sex—and maybe an occasional day outing.

Even with Andres, we had to be too careful for me to really enjoy myself.

He was always so on guard but I guess it—

My train of thought derailed.

Through the midst of the dense crowd I noticed a well-built, scruffy faced man, with a blonde-streaked man bun. Our pupils locked as the surrounding crowd dissipated into the evening air. The man blinked repeatedly as his forehead wrinkles deepened and I tilted my head multiple angles, hoping it was just the refraction of lights obscuring my view.

"Something in your eye?" Matias' velvet tone pulled me back to the table.

"Oh ah, no. I just—I have to go to the restroom. Be right back." I leaped up and darted for the now gone man.

The breezy night air whipped around my head as I spun in all directions looking for that familiar face. Delighted screams blurred passed my ears as lights from various carnival rides and booths streaked my gaze.

I did one more spin, coming up empty before I started back to the table. As I took my first step, I felt what I knew to be the tip of a gun, jutted between my shoulder blades.

"Scream, I dare you."

The harsh voice, along with its pistol dragged me behind one of the large booths and into the shadows.

I peeked over my shoulder as the blood drained from head, nearly knocking me to the patchy ground.

Gianni.

He threw me into the metal railing dividing the carnival from the parking lot as he kept his pistol pointed at me. His expression metamorphosed numerous times as he stared.

"Is it really you?....Julia?"

I thought about lying, but what would that do? Gianni was their cousin, he knew my face well.

"Y-yeah. It's me."

"I don't understand? How are you-why are-?"

"I can explain. Its-"

"I watched you die that night, Julia." His hand writhed with anger.

"L-Look Gianni, I'll tell you what happened, but please put the gun away."

"Why did you do this? You think we're that stupid? Like we wouldn't figure it out?" He drew back, but restrained himself and lowered the gun a bit.

"No! I had to do this Gianni. It was the only way to save me and the baby." I unsteadily rose to my feet and staggered towards him.

He pulled his gun back up, recentering his aim.

"So you had to die and leave us for Russo?"

"I'm not with him. I-It's complicated."

"Yeah I bet, puttana." Gianni hissed.

That night I was mugged and assaulted, Andres not only got me a gun, but for the following three months, I was enrolled in self-defense classes.

I never planned on using what I learned on family, and it hurt me that Gianni just jumped to conclusions.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and I quickly disarmed him with a maneuver I learned. In one swift move, I whipped the pistol across his face and kneed him in the crotch. As he groaned I hit him again, picking his phone from the dirt and throwing it as far as I could along with his gun.

A slew of curse words hit my ears as Gianni scuffled to his feet, recovered his silenced gun and fired. A deep burn pierced my calf as I jetted back to Matias.

I attempted to slow my breathing as much as possible before I tapped him on the shoulder.

"We have to go. I um...started my period." I lied.

Matias nodded with understanding and rushed us to the parking lot.

I repeatedly checked our surroundings until we both had our door closed, locked, and we were far down the street.

• • • •

"My sister was just here not too long ago. Everything you need should be in the bathroom. It's just behind that corner on the right."

I smiled politely as we entered Matias' high rise apartment. He didn't live too far away from the San Francisco carnival, so we arrived rather quickly. As I made my way to the bathroom I noticed a few moving boxes scattered around the nice décor.

The door closed silently behind me as I rested my hands on the edge of the counter. My heart couldn't help but race at the thought of Gianni and what he would do when he got in contact with my ex. All the work Andres and I had put into this plan would be wasted.

I attempted texting Andres while in the car, but was met with the harsh reality that my phone was still missing. Thankfully, Olivia let me borrow one of her burner phones. I pulled it from the side pocket and dialed his number.

The never ending ringing tone laughed in my face and sent me to his voicemail.

He won't answer a number he doesn't know, Julia.

I squeezed the phone in my hand before calling an Uber and throwing it back in my bag and washing my hands.

🔈

"It was a false alarm." I announced as I returned to the open concept living room and shook my wet hands.

"That's my fault. My son thinks his hands need five paper towels at one time." He handed me a white cloth towel.

"They must be related. Nicolai does the same thing."

Matias threw his head back as a that beautiful smile grew, "Ha, don't you hate that? You want some wine?

"Um. Sure. By the way I got an Uber so you don't have to, ya' know, go back to Oakland. I know it's not safe."

Matias nodded as he disappeared to the kitchen and I surveyed the living room, noticing the glass wall that overlooked the city. I stared at the grand scene below as I leaned against the glass and crossed my ankles. Matias padded to the window and handed over a plastic yellow cup, leaning across from me.

"Sorry, it's all we have out right now."

I shrugged and gingerly took the cup, "No biggie."

His eyes glanced down at my still stinging leg.

"Who shot at you?"

"What do you mean?" I answered coyly. 

"I know a graze wound when I see one- or did you forget what I do for a living?"

Matías left and returned with a first aid kit to patch my minor wound.

Soon after, we were both sipping quietly, watching the passing cars below.

"So, how'd I do?"

I gave an innocent smile, "You did good, I guess."

Matías smiled, his sultry brown gaze laced with desire as he stood inches from my body.

"You guess?"

My cheeks burned as my eyes married his, almost as if he had singlehandedly seized control of every movement of my body.

"Yeah," -I attempted to keep my tough exterior- "we did have to leave to the carnival early after all."

"Last I checked, that was on you Mariposa." He whispered breathlessly against the cartilage of my ear.

He smoothly brought his face around, meeting my eyes head on. After a blissful quiet filled with anxious glances between each other's lips and irises settled, Matias gripped my jaw gently and placed his lips over mine.

My mind fought back but my body ignored it and soon my mind wasn't in control at all.

Matías hemmed me between his muscular chest and the window as his tender lips explored my jawline and collarbone.

My breath hitched as my finger raked through his thick hair and he lifted me, his hands hiking up my dress and gripping my thighs.

I tilted his chin up, chasing his lips with mine as he groaned into my mouth and tangled his tongue with mine.

"Wait, I-I don't...know you..." I whispered, gripping the nape of his neck.

"But I want to know you..." 

It's just for protection.

I tried to reason with myself. Andres was my trusted ally, but he had been disappearing on me lately.

Matías closed the distance between our waists as I instantly felt his excitement.

I wanted this experience with Matías to feel as empty as possible, it was just for protection, but there was something deep inside me craving more.

We made our way over to the loveseat and Matías trailed kissed down my shivering abdomen. His tongue tickled right below my bellybutton, but froze at the buzz of my phone, alerting me that my Uber was here.

As if a switch was flipped, I sat straight up and lightly pushed my hands into Matías' chest.

A war broke out within me as I struggled to string two words together.

"I...have to go."

I sighed my usual heavy sigh and pecked his cheek- surprising myself.

He clutched my wrist as I stood, his gaze filled with concern.

"I'll call you soon."

His thumb caressed the back of my hand as a concerned but satisfied grin stretched across his face, "Okay, Mariposa."

• • • •

I stepped outside to meet the dense 12 a.m sky. I hated how much power Matías was beginning to pull in such a short time.

A black GMC truck pulled up in front of the loft building and I hesitantly stepped forward.

Uber said it would be a black car, not a truck. I kept about a foot of distance between me and the vehicle as the deeply tinted windows rolled down.

For the second time tonight I found myself face-to-face with the open end of a gold-plated pistol.

Gianni's now bitter stare froze me solid as he released his safety.

"Get in."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.2K 1.8K 16
Alessandra had always been in the dark about her family. Her mother made sure of it. She never told her anything about her father, her mysterious jo...
57.5K 1.6K 63
In a world full of darkness love has no place nor no strength of survival. A Girl with a dark past and A ruthless mafia boss; two worlds come crashin...
988K 31.5K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...