A Season of Masks and Masquer...

By hanifajalal

๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ 1810. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ ๐˜‹๐˜ถ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜‹๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ช... More

Chapter 1: The New Duke Of Dales
Chapter 2: The Plight of Esther Sherborne
Chapter 3: The Two Dukes of Dales
Chapter 4: The Last of a Lady's Luck
Chapter 5: The Meeting with Lord Greycoat
Chapter 6: The Eventful Morning
Chapter 7: Preparing for the Romantic Lunch
Chapter 8: The Radcliffe Luncheon
Chapter 9: A Heart to Heart
Chapter 10: A Crazy Conversation
Chapter 11: Time To Head Home
Chapter 12: The Confidential Letter
Chapter 13: Return of Lord Sherborne
Chapter 14: An Evening Drink At White's
Chapter 15: A Visit To Framptons
Chapter 16: A Chance Encounter
Chapter 17: A Pact for A Pact
Chapter 18: The most Difficult Choice
Chapter 20: A Day Out With Lord Richcomb
Chapter 21: The Grand Society Ball
Chapter 22: Welcoming The Valentines
Chapter 23: The Charming Marquess
Chapter 24: The Truth Reveal
Chapter 25: The Pitiful Miss Sherborne
Chapter 26: Balls after Balls
Chapter 27: Misunderstandings
Chapter 28: The Royal Treachery
Chapter 29: A Romantic Breakfast
Chapter 30: The Unfortunate Change of Events
Chapter 31: The Packwood Ball
Chapter 32: Late Night at the Library
Chapter 33: A Fortnight of Nothing
Chapter 34: Meeting Esther
Chapter 35: Fishing with The Framptons
Chapter 36: Esther's Real Name
Chapter 37: The Gift of Freedom
Chapter 38: The Radcliffe Soiree
Chapter 39: An Evening of Engagements
Chapter 40: A Letter to Esther
Chapter 41: The First Crack in the Mask
Chapter 42: The Bachelors' Party
Chapter 43: The Long Pending Conversation
Chapter 44: The New Lord of Radcliffe Estate
Chapter 45: The Payback Begins
Chapter 46: The City of Scandals
Chapter 47: Sherbornes In Buckingham
Chapter 48: Behind The Masks
Chapter 49: The Sins of a Lover
Chapter 50: The Love of a Sinner
Chapter 51: Before the dawn breaks
Chapter 52: The Best Season of Miss Sherborne's Life
Chapter 53: The last of the season's weddings
Chapter 54: A History of Dales
Chapter 55: The Radcliffe Reception
Celebrations are in order
Chapter 56: The True Duke of Dales
Chapter 57: A Royal Mess
Chapter 58: A Long Night
Chapter 59: Earlier That Morning
Chapter 60: An hour before the wedding
Chapter 61: The Climax
Chapter 62: The Moral of the Story
Epilogue

Chapter 19: The Season's Opening Ball

2.6K 147 13
By hanifajalal

The Season's Opening Ball was the biggest event of the year. It was a most exciting affair in London that attracted the interest of almost every last person. Newly debuted ladies and gentlemen came forward to find their right match. Older ladies and gentlemen, the guardians of the debuting crowd joined to make sure their nets caught the biggest fishes. While the younger clan assembled to cheer on their elders and more than that, watch and learn.

There was hardly anyone who was not excited about this evening, Esther however was of course, always an exception. She hated the system mainly because it glorified the tradition of finding a life partner based on their wealth and lineage.

And the beauty, of course.

The more beautiful your attire, the richer men you attract. The more shining your diamonds, the brighter your future.

The diamonds that sat on Esther's neck were surely one of the brightest ones in the gathering, however, there was hardly any brightness she could see in her near future.

By the time she walked into the grand ballroom, she hadn't yet been able to make up her mind on the dilemma the fake Duke put her in. Florence kept prodding her to smile, asking her the matter of her displeasure but she deemed it better to not say anything. Fortunately, the lights stole her attention from the gloomy subject to the sparkling rows of candles and shining glass chandeliers.

Esther had always been a fan of good light works.

"The lighting is phenomenal!" Florence exclaimed in joy as the two of them walked hand in hand.

"They're beautiful," Esther replied as she stretched her eyes to capture most of the room.

A few steps away, she spotted the Frampton girls standing together giggling as they pointed fingers at various people in the room.

"Are they openly pointing fingers?" Florence cried. Esther breathed heavily in affirmation but looked away, wanting not to be burdened by their judgy looks at the moment.

"Well, we need to stop them or they might invite trouble!"

"Flo, I really do not-"

It was too late for Esther to stop her. Soon Florence was storming toward the Frampton sisters with Esther getting dragged behind her.

The giggling stopped the moment they reached their front. The joy in their eyes was gone as well, replaced by the same distaste from yesterday. Esther was not as hurt anymore however Florence seemed to be a little too slow in catching the hints.

"Julliete, Jennifer, Joyce! How nice to meet you three. Beautiful gowns, especially yours, Joyce!" She exclaimed with joy.

"Why, thank you, Florence," Joyce replied plainly. "Miss Sherborne." She added soon after and stooped a curtsy.

"Oh, you're practising honorifics now." Florence noted, "well, in that case, I too am just as old as Esther so you can go ahead and call me Miss Lewis." She joked gaily.

"Oh, no Florence, it's not about the age, it's rather about the rank and wealth status." Jennifer started explaining unnecessarily, "You see Miss Sherborne is way higher in rank than us however you-"

"That will be enough, Jennifer." Esther cut her off. "You may have learnt the difference of ranks in society, you certainly still need a few lessons on the right way of talking to your elders."

Esther's sharp tone and prickly words were enough to bring blood up to the young girl's cheeks and she went quiet.

"Beautiful dress Miss Sherborne," Jullette noted in an attempt to divert the mood. "You certainly know how to dress up like a Dutchess."

"Juliette. Can you please not introduce any more uncomfortable topics of conversation?" Esther said, unusually rude to her own surprise.

"Oh, there's no need to be all so flustered. You surely are not still feeling guilty about that old childish vow, are you?" Miss Frampton was clearly trying her best to introduce the most uncomfortable topics of conversation.

Esther decided to stay silent instead of making the matter worse with her words, but Juliette was hell-bent on giving her evening a foul start.

"Oh dear, you must not. It was extremely childish and selfish of me that I asked you to make such a vow, I have realized. You can now stop pretending to be so apologetic towards me." She explained with a humourless chuckle. "It's only written since our births that you will marry a Duke while I'll find a-"

"Did I hear someone mention me?"

A stark contrast to the girly voices made Esther whirl around on her heels causing her to almost lose balance when Edward grabbed her arm and helped her stand back on her feet. He did not let go before shining his signature smirk making Esther even more restless as her mind went back to deciding her answer once again.

The evening had advanced greatly since the time they walked in and soon the first dance was going to be announced. She hardly had any time to make her decision and to have him stand next to her now, was not going to help at all.

"Your Grace." The girls stooped curtsies in his honour, he bowed his head slightly to acknowledge the same.

"So, was I truly being discussed?" He asked looking at Esther with mischief but soon stole his gaze when she only replied with a disgusting stare and nothing more. "It would be an honour, to be honest." He added looking at the girls.

"Oh, yes-"

"No."

Juliette started but Esther cut her off at once.

"We were talking about Dukes," She replied smartly, "in general, Your Grace," she added with mock respect.

"I see." He said looking at her, suppressing another smirk. "By the way, your dresses are exquisite, I couldn't help but come and compliment." He said making the girls blush until, "especially yours, Miss Sherborne. I must say you look just like a Dutchess."

Esther's face turned red in anger, perhaps less on this man and more on the seamstress who apparently designed her gown to look like one of a Dutchess. But again, she wouldn't be surprised if she found out that such were the demands presented by her mother.

"Doesn't it, Your Grace? I was just telling Miss Sherborne the same-"

"Juliette." Esther cut her off louder. "I beg you, that's enough."

Juliette went quiet but not before replying to Esther with an elaborate eye roll.

"You certainly seem to be in a foul mood this fine evening, pray tell who is causing you such displeasure." Edward was totally enjoying her plight, as always.

Esther sent him a short glare and looked away before anyone else noticed while Julliete decided to answer the Duke's question.

"I'm certain it's the diamonds at her neck, Your Grace. They look too heavy to allow a lady to smile easily." She hissed with a fake chuckle but her sisters joined in to make it sound a little less offensive.

Edward stole a look at Esther's face that clearly read pain. "You amuse me, Miss Frampton." He said and hoped for the topic to die there.

Fortunately, the orchestra hit a loud note at the right moment and all the attention in the room was attracted to the dance floor.

"Oh, looks like they are announcing the first dance." Joyce rejoiced. "You must tell us Your Grace, who is the fortunate lady to have your first dance."

"Bless you, Miss Frampton. I almost forgot what I came here for." Edward said and placed his gaze on Esther causing her eyes to go wide in alarm.

She was yet to make her choice, he couldn't force her into this.

"The first dance certainly has a great deal of importance and I am told great matches are made during it." Edward elaborated making the girls bite their lips in anticipation.

Esther sent him warning glares but he knew no stopping.

Slowly he extended his hand and bowed his head in her front. "Will you do me the honor of granting me your first dance?"

Esther flustered up. It was all happening quicker than she could process. She was certainly not ready to say yes. "Your Grace, pardon my audacity but I shall not be so hasty in giving my first dance to you." She mumbled quietly.

Edward looked up at her and smiled. "That's absolutely fine, Miss Sherborne. I was not referring to you anyway." He said and tilting his head towards little Joyce he added, "Miss Frampton, may I?"

At that moment Esther went through a huge variety of emotions. It started from extreme embarrassment but soon it was overpowered by disbelief then panic and panic stayed mixed with confusion.

Joyce was boiling with joy and happiness at his offer and Esther could already see her sobbing her heart out once he would have played around with her little heart only to infuriate Esther. She had to stop this from happening.

Before she could think this out sanely she found her hand sliding into Edward's before Joyce could overcome her excitement. The moment Edward's fingers closed around her hand Joyce's smile turned into a frown. She looked like she could break into tears any moment now.

"Esther!" Juliette almost yelled making Esther scoff in disbelief.

"Now you're calling me by my name." She noted and after giving the Frampton sisters one last sharp look she dragged Edward to the dance floor.

Honestly, he hardly needed the dragging.

"That was quite a conversation I just witnessed, do you generally show your sisterly love in that manner?" Edward asked as they took position on the dance floor with the other couples.

Esther only shot him a death glare to which he replied by snaking his arm around her waist and smoothly pulling her closer.

"I understand your desperation to have my first dance but that was quite aggressive, I must admit, Miss Sherborne." He joked again as the music started from a soft note swaying them along in small synchronized steps.

Esther stayed silent, resolute to focus on the music rather than the annoying man or his hand at her waist.

"Oh, come on now, do not punish me with your silence. I am only joking. You know it."

Esther's eyes, filled with annoyance snapped to his face. "Joking?" She demanded boldly. "You gave me your word to not play any funny tricks on my cousins."

"I did." He agreed with a smile, happy that she at least started a conversation.

"And you went right against it! In front of my eyes." She sounded and more than that looked, so offended it was almost the most adorable expression he had seen on her so far. "Not that it would be a first, you are more than-"

"I did not."

"But you did!"

"Not." He cut her off again making the red on her cheeks turn rawer. "I played a funny trick on you, Miss Sherborne." he clarified, "and you fell for it."

Esther's blank eyes spoke of disappointment. She wasn't quite certain if it was for him or for her own self. Nevertheless, Edward clearly loved her reaction and chuckled to his side.

"You certainly have a knack for falling now, don't you?" He asked in a teasing tone.

"I'd rather have you not insult me while I'm dancing with you. I can still walk out of the dance floor any moment."

"You think so?" Edward asked and locked his hand tightly around her waist.

Esther did not like his audacity and taking his words as a challenge, she started struggling to pull her hand free of his grasp. Edward smirked slyly and said, "Given your history of lack of balance, I'd rather suggest you focus on your steps Miss Sherborne. For if you fall in my arms one more time, I shall not be responsible for any of my actions that follow."

Esther stopped attempting to let loose. "You will never attempt such nuisance at a place like this. The Duke would never allow you to stain his image like that." She stated but somehow it sounded more like a question.

"Try me." He simply said with a wink.

Esther gasped but before she could conjure up a response, the orchestra hit a high note and soon she was flying in the air with nothing but his hands supporting her weight.

The time for talking was long gone. The music had amplified and the room was filled with cheers and sounds of shoes tapping on the floor. The music only grew faster and faster with time leaving the dancing couples short of breath. The adrenaline soon pumped through Esther's veins as Edward whirled her around in the air like a rag doll. She'd be lying to say she wasn't enjoying it.

She'd always enjoyed being on the dance floor, having music dominate her moves.

Soon she had lost all control of her movements. Her limbs were dancing to the music when on the floor and when in the air, she had no option but to hold onto Edward for dear life.

She dug her fingers deeper into his shoulder and watched a smirk grow stronger upon his lips every time. But that was not about to put her off any soon. For once, she was enjoying his company.

His proficiency was remarkable in his moves and there was no better luck for her than to find a dance partner as zesty as her own self. 

In no time they were both laughing heartily, enjoying the moment to the fullest. The voice of his laughter filled her ears like a melody and his cologne, nothing like anything she'd ever inhaled before, dominated her senses.

At that moment, she wanted to forget everything and everyone. All things that made him an unpleasant man and her a demure lady. She wished for it all to disappear so she could dance forever with him and never stop.

But just like all good dreams, it too had to come to an end.

And we all know that nothing is more disappointing and eye-opening than the end of a good dream.

The reality then is a nightmare.

It makes you wish you had never dreamt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 6.3K 52
As much as Kimberly Astor hated to admit it, she had a slight problem. Okay, so it was theoretically a major problem, but it wasn't entirely her faul...
10.1K 469 30
If you've been waiting for Garrett's and Frederica's story, here it is! Garrett has given up pining for his sister's best friend. He has political am...
204K 14K 37
{2022 WATTY SHORTLISTER} {18+ COMPLETED} England, 1842 Lady Hutton, otherwise known as Penelope Chapman, cares not that her husband has a wanderin...
773K 50.4K 41
WATTPAD FEATURED - 30/11/2017 WATTYS 2018 LONGLIST - 31/08/2018 WATTPAD WEREWOLF FEATURED - 05/09/2020 WATTPAD EXPLORER WEREWOLF WEEK - 26/10/2020 [W...