There's Something About Him (...

By AnnaIsali

Book One: The Daimon Brothers Series Normally you find a clique and spend your high school years fitting nice... More

Dedication
Chapter One - Rich Secrets
Chapter Two - Who is River Daimon?
Chapter Three - The Demon's Brother
Chapter Four - Mr Popular
Chapter Five - Dropping the Queen Bee
Chapter Six - Sticks and Stones
Chapter Seven - My Family and Your Family
Chapter Nine - Heath, Mum and Dad
Chapter Ten - Big Brother
Chapter Eleven - Hurting Me
Chapter Twelve - Forgiveness
Chapter Thirteen - He's My Only Friend
Chapter Fourteen - Background Check
Chapter Fifteen - The Man Card
Chapter Sixteen - Never EVER Again
Chapter Seventeen - Night at the Movies
Chapter Eighteen - I'm Behind On My Vaccinations
Chapter Nineteen - A Normal Breakfast
Chapter Twenty - Morning, Kitten
Chapter Twenty One - A Few Moves
Chapter Twenty Two - Caveman
Chapter Twenty Three - Are You Going to Deflower My Baby Boy?
Chapter Twenty Four - Mini White House
Chapter Twenty Five - Unexpected Anger
Chapter Twenty Six - Heath Bar
Chapter Twenty Seven - Oh, What A Night
Chapter Twenty Eight - Despicable Blackmail
Chapter Twenty Nine - When Two Hearts Break
Chapter Thirty - Why Not Now?
Chapter Thirty One - Taking Me Home
Chapter Thirty Two - What Else?
Chapter Thirty Three - Realisation
Chapter Thirty Four - What We Feel
Chapter Thirty Five - There's Something About Alira
Chapter Thirty Six - Past and Present
Chapter Thirty Seven - What Was Once Broken
Chapter Thirty Eight - Men In Black
Chapter Thirty Nine - Do Bodyguards Carry Guns?
Chapter Forty - Sympathy For My Blackmailer
Chapter Forty One - Heat
Chapter Forty Two - Deep and Meaningful
Chapter Forty Three - That First Goodnight
Chapter Forty Four - Launch Into High Society
Chapter Forty Five - Wow
Chapter Forty Six - Not What I Thought
Chapter Forty Seven - Sinking Feeling
Chapter Forty Eight - A Dinner Date & A Grand Escape
Chapter Forty Nine - Premonition
Chapter Fifty - Bitterness
Chapter Fifty One - The Ultimate Fight
Chapter Fifty Two - Rise And Fall
Chapter Fifty Three - Fury
Chapter Fifty Four - Deep Down
Chapter Fifty Five - Sunrise
Chapter Fifty Six - When He's Gone
Chapter Fifty Seven - Camilla
Chapter Fifty Eight - A Fist To The Face
Not Quite The Ending
A/N

Chapter Eight - The Daimon Residence

56.1K 2.8K 96
By AnnaIsali

Bracing my hands against the steering wheel, I gulped as I slowly entered River's street - he had offered to pick me up but I thought turning up in my over the top car would break the ice in regards to the identities of my parents.

Lunch at home had been a strained affair, on my end anyway, as I had been almost shaking at the thought of opening myself up so much. My mother had been bouncing in her seat while my father watched us with an indulgent smile - a smile which had turned into a grin when I told him that I would be taking the Spyder.

Both of them had known how big of a day this was for me. After years of hiding, I was letting someone in and introducing them to my universe in a most extravagant way. The car that smoothly answered my every movement had cost my father hundreds of thousands of dollars and there would be no avoiding River when he started asking questions.

I could only hope that he would understand my reasoning - I could only hope that he didn't hate me for practically lying to him.

I huffed out a short laugh as I kept my eyes on the numbers of the houses. The neighbourhood that the Daimon family lived was very nice and suburban but I'd never driven through it.

It was weird how after only two weeks, I was freaking out that I would lose my only friend because of my attempt to make friends who wouldn't use me.

Karma seemed to be a humorous bitch, I thought.

My hands reacting before my brain did, I swung the car sharply into the driveway of 137 Lisa-Murray Drive. This had been the address that River had passed to me before I had said my goodbyes to him the day before.

Similar to my own home, I had to stop after only a few metres since the property was protected with high walls - River had wanted to give me the code to the gate but I had refused. We had only known one another for two weeks and to simply pass it over seemed a breach of trust between him and his family who were relying on the protection.

One day I hoped to be able to exchange such things but for the moment I had wanted to hold off until after I found out if River was going to kick me to the curb.

Since the car was currently topless and the windows lowered, I simply leaned an arm out and pushed the appropriate button, waiting for someone to answer the intercom.

It crackled to life, "Good afternoon. How may I help you?" The voice sounded choked and nasally as I pressed the button once more.

"Hi, my name is Alira Heath and I'm meant to be dropping by to see River," I answered, trying to speak loudly enough to be heard.

"Ah yes," the man answered, "Do you have an appointment?"

I pulled back to stare. An appointment?

"Umm, no but he is expecting me," my eye brows scrunched tightly as I worried at my bottom lip. Had I needed to call ahead? River had mentioned needing to schedule an arrival time with his security.

"I'll have to..."

Smack!

The sharp sound had me flinching back.

"Ow, goddamn, Mum. What was that for?" The voice had been replaced by one that I easily recognised as River.

"Stop teasing the poor girl and let her in," A lady answered him - the distortion from the intercom couldn't mask the annoyed exasperation in her voice as she continued to berate her son.

I wasn't sure if I was pissed or amused by River's teasing trick but I did know that as soon as I reached him, I would add my own whack to the back of his head.

There was a sudden loud whine as the gates began to open inward and I finally received my first impeded view of the Daimon home.

It was beautiful - an elegant two-storey ranch style home situated on a large property - I could gardens framing the front veranda and a break away drive which led off to the side where I saw a garage. Mind you, the garage looked to be bigger than the house with three automatic doors hiding the interior from my gaze.

No one came outside as I eased the car forward so I decided to park across the paved area in front of the garage where I observed a gleaming black Hilux. My vehicle looked laughingly tiny in comparison and I only hoped that the owner wouldn't be annoyed that I had essentially blocked them in.

I slipped out and pressed the controls so that the roof would pop out and automatically edge up over the interior. It didn't look like rain but the need to keep my precious Bluebell - its nickname - safe had easily become an obsession. My father probably wouldn't care if it ended up water-logged but I had grown attached; the sleek machine had more power and heart than most professional race cars.

I finally heard the distinctive sound of footsteps behind me and turned with a smile, expecting to see River.

It was certainly a guy behind me but I took a sharp step back when I registered that he was a complete stranger. Not old enough to be River's father, I gave him a quick once over, noticing the sleekly lined muscles and powerfully wide shoulders topped by a gorgeous face.

"Heath," I murmured, surprised by his sudden appearance.

I had meant to look him up online before our first meeting but other things had come up and I still had no real idea who this man was.

I found it curiously funny that his first name was the same as my last, though I'd never mention since his hard eyes gave the impression that he would snap me in half for the implied joke.

"You're Alira?" He asked, folding his arms.

I nodded, stubbing the toe of my shoe against the cement and peeking behind him in hopes that River would turn up and save me. "Yes, I'm Alira. I came to hang out with River and meet your parents."

"Why?"

I squinted at him in confusion, "What do you mean?"

His lips thinned even more as his stunning green eyes filled with an even deeper chill, "What do you want from him?"

The familiar tone of suspicion had my back tensing as my own eyes narrowed, "To be his friend. Is there something wrong with that?"

"There is if you're using him."

My lips quirked as I angrily looked him over once more - not even two minutes and he had managed to aggravate me. I couldn't blame the two brothers for their initial and warranted disbelief but the fact that Heath had cornered me before I could even be introduced properly made me want to throw my car keys at him.

"What exactly do you think I will be using him for?"

He opened his mouth to reply but before he could spurt something about me worming my way in so that I could meet him, River ran breathlessly around from the back of the house.

"Heath," he shouted, his face red as he skidded to a halt beside me. "Back off of Alira."

"River," I murmured, not wanting to get caught between them. I was furious at Heath but I also understood and it would be hypocritical of River to say anything more since he too had doubted my motives in the beginning.

"I want to know," Heath grunted at his brother, his eyes tracking me as I glanced back at my car, contemplating the possibility of sneaking away before things exploded.

"She's not like the other ones," River's raised his voice as he planted himself in front of me, "She's not here for you."

"I hope you're right because I won't hesitate to kick her ass out if she ends up acting like those tramps back home," Heath growled.

"She," I cut in, "is right here and I have to say that this happens to be the most interesting introduction I've ever had but I am genuinely over it." I smiled tightly as they moved to peer down at me. "River," I looked at him, "it's fine. Heath," I turned slightly so that he could easily read my face, "lovely to meet you. Sorry that you've had such bad experiences in the past but I don't like being judged by another's sins. Get over yourself and listen closely when I tell you that I have absolutely no idea who you are and the only reason I am conversing with you now is because of River. He's my friend - that's it." I looked between them, feeling slightly proud that I had managed to stun them both while I hid my nervous trembling.

A clapping sound filled the sudden silence, startling us all. Standing at the edge of the veranda was a petite woman. She was dressed comfortably in jeans and a polo shirt while a small towel was draped over one shoulder.

I looked into her smiling eyes and blushed, mortified that I had just been caught chastising her sons.

Could things get any worse?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 141K 45
Falling in love never scared Maddie Davis until she fell for the one boy she swore to stay away from forever. Season 1 of My Brother's Best Friend ...
13.6K 564 63
There are few things that humble Allie Carson. As a senior, she is a central part of the popular crowd and can have any guy she wants - and she knows...
35.6K 2.6K 33
Aurora Moon has been kept at home under the close eyes of her dad and grandma for 17 years due to a dangerous power she holds. But after some serious...
38M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...