Loose Change~ Montgomery De L...

By Starlight724

Ophelia wanted to keep that night a secret. She needed it to be secret. But then she gets a box of tapes, exp... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Author's Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Part 2 Chapter 1
Part 2 Chapter 2
Part 2 Chapter 3
Part 2 Chapter 4
Part 2 Chapter 5
Part 2 Chapter 6a
Part 2 Chapter 6b
Part 2 Chapter 7
Part 2 Chapter 8a
Part 2 Chapter 8b
Part 2 Chapter 9
Part 2 Chapter 10
Part 2 Chapter 11
Part 2 Chapter 12a
Part 2 Chapter 12b
Part 2 Chapter 13a
Part 2 Chapter 13b
Part 3 Chapter 1a
Part 3 Chapter 1b
Part 3 Chapter 2a
Part 3 Chapter 2b
Part 3 Chapter 3a
Part 3 Chapter 3b
Part 3 Chapter 4a
Part 3 Chapter 4b
Part 3 Chapter 5a
Part 3 Chapter 5b
Part 3 Chapter 6a
Part 3 Chapter 6b
Part 3 Chapter 7a
Part 3 Chapter 7b
Part 3 Chapter 8a
Part 3 Chapter 8b
Part 3 Chapter 9a
Part 3 Chapter 9b
Part 3 Chapter 10a
Part 3 Chapter 10b
Part 3 Chapter 11a
Part 3 Chapter 11b
Part 3 Chapter 12a
Part 3 Chapter 12b
Part 3 Chapter 13a
Part 3 Chapter 13b
Part 4 Chapter 1a
Part 4 Chapter 1b
Part 4 Chapter 2a
Part 4 Chapter 2b
Part 4 Chapter 3a
Part 4 Chapter 4a
Part 4 Chapter 4b
Part 4 Chapter 5a
Just For Fun
Part 4 Chapter 5b
Part 4 Chapter 6a
Part 4 Chapter 6b
Part 4 Chapter 6c
Part 4 Chapter 7a
Part 4 Chapter 7b
Part 4 Chapter 8a
Part 4 Chapter 8b
Part 4 Chapter 9a
Part 4 Chapter 9b
Part 4 Chapter 10a
Part 4 Chapter 10b
Part 4 Chapter 10c
Part 4 Chapter 11a
Part 4 Chapter 11b
Part 4 Chapter 12a
Part 4 Chapter 12b
Part 4 Chapter 12c
Part 4 Chapter 13a
Part 4 Chapter 13b
Part 5 Chapter 1
Part 5 Chapter 2
6:53
Part 5 Chapter 3
Part 5 Chapter 4
Part 5 Chapter 5
Epilogue
Goodbye and Thank You

Part 4 Chapter 3b

4K 105 199
By Starlight724

tw: sexual content, Bryce being a creep in a flashback, creepy college guys

"I don't want to go inside," Ophelia whined. "It's too cold."

There was a large party at Bryce's that night. It began at six, and was still going strong by midnight. However, most people had moved into the pool house at this time. They were drinking, and playing video games. By twelve thirty, Montgomery and Ophelia were the only people still outside. And that was because Ophelia was insistent that they stayed in the hot tub.

"Babe, you're gonna have to fucking get out eventually," Montgomery told her. "Come on, everyone's fucking inside already."

Ophelia had been leaning against Montgomery, but she lowered herself into the tub so only her head was poking out of the warm water.

"You can go," she said. She smiled widely. "I'll stay in here."

Montgomery felt his heart melting at her smile. He couldn't help but return it. "Come on, we'll run fast."

She shook her head. "No."

"Ophelia..." He laughed. "Let's go play beer pong. You like that game."

"I don't like that game," she told him. Her body still completely submerged. "I'm just good at it."

He reached under the water and grabbed her leg, pulling her closer. She giggled.

"Well, I can't leave you in here." When she was close enough, he grabbed the back of her legs. She let out a laugh as he pulled her to him.

The hot tub had a circular bench all the way around, which he sat on. He pulled her suddenly, putting her legs on either side of him, and lifting half her body out of the water as he did so.

"Oh my god!" she shouted as the cold air hit her wet upper body. "See! It's cold!"

Montgomery absolutely could see how cold she was. Her nipples hard and piercing through her light pink bikini top in seconds. Head momentarily filled with lust, he reached forward and kissed her deeply. He felt her smile. She wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back.

Then she pushed herself off him, and went back into the water.

"It's too cold to make out," she whispered.

He stared her down. "What about have sex?"

Her eyes widened. "Monty! This is your friend's hot tub!"

He grabbed for her again, bringing her closer. This time when he pulled her onto his lap, he grabbed her ass with both hands. "And?"

"And that's gross!" she whispered. She turned around and her eyes found the pool house. The curtains were closed, but it was still so close. "Your friends are right there."

Montgomery brought her face back to him. "The windows are closed. They're not coming out."

"They could hear us," she tried. She gasped as he pulled her closer and started kissing her neck. She felt his erection through his swim shorts. Her cheeks flushed with red. "Monty, we can't..."

But she could feel herself caving. Especially as he lifted a hand up to cup her breast.

"Monty-"

Both hands went back to her ass, and he grinded her softly against him.

She pulled away again. "We can't. Not here."

"You want to stay in the hot tub," he told her, laughing.

"I want to stay and swim with you."

Once again, he grabbed her and pulled her on top of him. He kissed her deeply again while holding her tightly. Against her better judgement, Ophelia kissed him back.

"We need to stop," she said pulling away. He began pulling on her swim shorts. "Monty..."

It was amazing the way he was able to change her mind so easily. Especially as he kept touching her the way he did, making her body crave him.

Eventually, she gave in. He had pulled her swim shorts off. He held them in his hand like it was some prize that turned him on. He had his shorts pulled away as well.

Before she knew it, he was fucking her. She was on him lap, and he was gripping her ass tightly, moving her up and down, giving the both of them waves of pleasure.

"Shit..." he breathed. "Take your top off."

She heard him, but hesitated. What if someone came out? She might be able to get off Montgomery, and sit down and pretend nothing was happening.

He wasn't patient. He brought a hand up for only a moment to tear one side down, exposing her right breast. He immediately moved forward, placing his mouth on it as he fucked her harder.

She kept her head buried in his hair, panting loudly. She prayed to everything she was being quiet enough so that no one could hear.

When they finished, they stayed in the hot tub for another half an hour. Montgomery finally kissed her as softly as she wanted. She had fixed her top and both had put their shorts back in.

"Are you mad I made you miss beer pong?" She asked jokingly as she pulled away.

Montgomery scoffed. "I'll miss every fucking game if we get to that instead."

Ophelia giggled and pulled herself closer to him.

They were silent for a moment, enjoying the sound of the night and the faint sounds of the party continuing inside.

The hot tub was warm, but Montgomery's skin was hottest where she touched him.

"Ophelia..." he said, quietly, after moment of silence. "I love you."

He heard her laugh again. "I love you, Monty."

But she didn't understand. She didn't know how much he loved her, and how grateful he was to have her. She would never understand.

He never skipped a party before her. He was always constantly surrounded by people and alcohol and drugs because that's what kept him from thinking about his fucked up home life.

But when he was with Ophelia, the thrills of the party went away. At that moment, there was no place he'd rather be than with her. He would leave that house and never return if she asked it of him.

But she didn't ask him to do that. She would never ask him to stay away from his friends.

Maybe if she had things would've ended differently. Maybe if he hadn't been around those bad influences, he wouldn't have turned out the way he did.

Ophelia fell asleep in his arms. He didn't know that was possible, but she fell asleep in the water, her head on his chest. She must have been so relaxed.

Montgomery kept thinking about how much she trusted him to be able to sleep this calmly.

She trusted him. And he loved her. And he wanted to look out for her forever.

He woke her gently once he noticed most people had left from the house.

She didn't want to wake up. He picked her up, and stood, stepping out of the hot tub.

She woke immediately to the coldest.

"Oh, shit," she whispered, suddenly shivering. "It's so cold." Her feet then hit the even colder cement.

"It's winter," he laughed. He wrapped her in a towel.

She kept jumping up and down where she was. Montgomery laughed.

"I'm gonna change," he said. "Do you want to?"

She shook her head.

"Then head inside," he told her.

She did so. He stepped behind the shed and changed into his shirt and shorts real quick, before leaving his swimsuit hanging outside and heading in.

It wasn't until they were inside that he realized everyone had left except for Bryce, who must have stayed up waiting for them. Ophelia was standing by the heater, holding her towel around her body, and Bryce was standing next to her, talking.

It didn't bother him at all. It was just his girlfriend and best friend talking.

Ophelia smiled when he came in. "Ready?"

"Yeah," Montgomery said. He tossed her a sweatshirt of his that was in the couch. "Put this on."

She grabbed it, immediately handing him the towel that was previously wrapped around her.

That was when he became bothered.

Because Bryce's eyes went immediately to her ass as she pulled the sweatshirt over her. And they stayed there the entire time until she turned around to say goodbye to him.

She walked outside first, Bryce catching Montgomery for a moment to ask, "She's staying over at your house tonight, right?"

"Yeah," he said. "My parents are out. She told her mom she's at a friend's house." At Hannah Baker's house.

Bryce gave his friend a wink. "Shit. Wish I had a tight ass like that in my bed tonight."

Montgomery tried to not show any indication of his anger. Bryce had always been good to him. He didn't want to upset him.

"You gonna fuck her tonight?" Bryce asked. Before Montgomery could reply he added, "Or, again?"

He hesitated. "Again?"

"You put on a nice show outside," Bryce told him. He nodded to a window in the corner of the pool house. The curtain had been drawn open. "Don't worry, I didn't tell any of the other guys."

Montgomery clenched his fists, and tried to keep calm. Bryce had always been good to him. "You...saw?"

"Not much," Bryce said. He laughed. "Next time take her top all the way off, and maybe pull her more out of the water."

He sniffed, his nose dry. "She's shy, you know?"

"I'll bet," Bryce said, a certain look in his eye. "It was hot, not gonna lie. I could hear her moaning. Shit, what I wouldn't give for a dip into that pussy. Made me hard just listening-"

"Well, she's fucking taken alright?" Montgomery suddenly spat out. "You had ten sluts at the party you should've fucked out of them."

Bryce had always been good to him. Montgomery kept repeating it in his head. It was the only thing that kept him from reaching over and beating the shit out of him for disrespecting Ophelia like that. For watching their intimate moment.

But Montgomery had had sex in front of people before. How was Bryce to know things were different with Ophelia?

Bryce frowned, surprised by his friend's anger. After a moment he just laughed. "Yeah, I know she's taken-"

"I don't share," Montgomery said. "Not like you and the other boys do."

He put his hands up in fake surrender. "Alright, alright. I'm just congratulating you man. Great ass, great tits. You won."

"Yeah," Montgomery spat. "I fucking did. So stop fucking talking about her."

He grabbed the towel Ophelia left behind and started stomping out.

"You guys are still going to Winter Ball with us, right?" Bryce suddenly called out.

The winter ball, which took place that weekend.

"We'll drive ourselves," Montgomery told him.

Because driving alone, he could be sure Bryce didn't try to touch Ophelia at all.

And Bryce was the only one he had to worry about hurting Ophelia at the dance, right?

*****

"Hey, Scotty."

Justin nodded to the older boy. He came up to the group while they were looking around the library. He had gone in there for some peace and quiet. And just to sit down for a minute and think about his interview.

He hadn't meant to run into the other group in the process, but he was willing to play it off like he had.

Scott frowned. He looked around and noticed Justin was alone. He groaned. "What are you doing by yourself?"

Justin tried his best to look innocent. "I just...I had to go to the bathroom," he lied.

Scott nearly rolled his eyes. "Yeah? Like how I caught you in the hall the other day looking for the bathroom?"

Justin scratched the back of his head. He pointed to the various students around him. "I'm still with the fucking group, aren't I?"

"You're with the wrong group."

"Same school," Justin said, trying to brush it off. "So what does it matter?"

Scott rolled his eyes, but Justin saw the hint of smile on his face.

"Fine. Join this group. I honestly don't care. Zach got here somehow too."

Justin laughed. "Okay, that I'm sorry for."

Scott snorted. His eyes roamed the library. He hesitated. "Where is Zach anyway?"

Scott kept glancing around. After a moment, Justin saw panic on his face as he slowly counted all the kids.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked, catching onto the reaction.

"I..." Scott walked away, turning his head to look around.

Justin caught up with him. "The fuck are you doing?"

"I just...we're two people short."

Justin flinched. "What?"

"Fuck," Scott cursed. "It's Ophelia. I haven't seen her in seven minutes. It's gotta be her."

"Seven minutes exactly?" Justin asked, impressed.

Scott cursed again. "It's gotta be Zach too. Fuck. Why the fuck did he have to come to this group if he was just gonna leave?"

"He's probably with Ophelia," Justin said to him. He watched as Scott's expression changed. "Or not. Who the fuck know?"

"I have to," Scott said. "I'm supposed to be fucking watching them."

"There plenty of other chaperones," Justin said. "It's not just gonna be you who gets in trouble."

But Scott wasn't worried about trouble. He was worried about Ophelia, and if she really was with Zach. Because he didn't trust Zach. Not at all.

"Stay here," Scott said. "I'm gonna go find them."

"I'm not staying here," Justin said. "I'll come with you."

"No," Scott told him. Could Justin ever just go what he was told? "Stay with the tour group."

But Justin didn't necessarily trust Zach either. He wanted to find Ophelia as well. She was so small and quiet, she could fucking be anywhere.

"Okay, but what if they left to fool around?" Justin asked. He knew that was definitely not the case, but he used it to his advantage. "Who would you rather walk in on them, me or you?"

"Stop," Scott said. "That's not...They're not..."

Scott's jaw tightened.

"Let me come," Justin said. "I can find her. I know her better than you."

For a moment, Scott just looked at Justin.

Thinking about it, Ophelia and him were always together. Why were they always together? And why was he worried about Zach and Ophelia being alone?

Ophelia was single now...Justin was single now...

Scott gulped, a chill running over his body.

Justin was funny. He was attractive, at least Scott heard girls say so. He was on that hot or not list for most attractive basketball player. Montgomery had been on that list too. Zach had been the captain of the football team. Shit, Justin was captain now, wasn't he?

Scott hesitated. Ophelia was beautiful. Beyond beautiful. And she was so kind, he couldn't think of anyone who disliked her presence. He realized she could chose anyone she wanted.

And Scott remember how Ophelia specifically hadn't chosen him multiple times.

After she broke up with Zach, he thought maybe one day she would. But one day far from now, after the pains of Montgomery's death had died down. Maybe one day after the pain of losing him would be outweighed by the feeling she got from loving someone else.

Scott had wanted to stay near, to help her with that pain. He wanted her to feel better, to feel safe.

But Justin could do that.

Scott gulped. He had never seen them as close as they were now. How had this happened? Why was it always Justin going off to her rescue now? What happened between them?

Scott wasn't sure, but he did know that the captain of the football team seemed more appealing to a high school girl than whatever the fuck Scott was.

"Fine, you can come," Scott old Justin.

Because maybe Justin was right.

Maybe he knew her better. Maybe they were closer than Scott thought.

As they stepped away from the group, Scott felt jealousy course through his veins.

*****

She wasn't being provocative. She was just not looking as professional. She wasn't trying to be sexy, she was just trying not to look like she was here for an interview.

She let out a deep breath. Ophelia had pulled her shirt out from tucked into her skirt, and tied it loosely so that it was a bit more cropped, but not tight on her stomach. Actually, the skirt she wore was so high waisted that the only skin that showed was at her midriff. She hesitated as she unbuttoned the top of her shirt. Not a lot, just so that it wasn't buttoned all the way up.

She didn't look professional anymore, she looked cute. Which is exactly what she needed to start a beer pong game.

And why did she want to start one again? Because she wanted Zach Dempsey to stop messing around and leave this frat house? Yes. That was one reason.

But the other...

He didn't think she could. He said she was a buzzkill. Ophelia frowned to herself. Personally, she found herself allowing almost anything to happen around her. She was almost always down for whatever her friends wanted to do, past and present. She was friend with Marisa, who was crazy. She considered herself as someone who 'went with the flow', but knew when to stop.

Thinking about it, she did feel like a buzzkill. Because she was never the one who started any fun, she just would join in. Dammit. She was a buzzkill, wasn't she?

She clutched the ping pong ball Zach gave her, and turned around. There were people all over the house. All boys, a few girls outside. She rolled her eyes.

Even if she didn't often start games, it would be extremely easy to. So easy, she wasn't even worried.

She put on a bored face, and walked up to a table with scattered beer bottles and cups.

Pretending to be not paying attention to anyone, she let the ball fall onto the table, and then caught it when it came up. And then fall, and then catch. She only had to do this four time before-

"Hey." She turned. An older boy, maybe twenty two, walked up to her. A mixed drink in his hand. He leaned against the table, smiling as he said, "What are you doing over here all by yourself?"

Ophelia had to force herself to not start laughing at how easily his attention was drawn. She just smiled barely. "Oh, I don't know. I just found this."

She held up the ball.

He nodded, smiling. "Oh, nice. Do you, um, want to play a game of beer pong or something?"

Ophelia pretended to be disappointed when she said. "I'd love to, I can't drink right now. I'd have to play with a partner to drink for me, but I don't know anyone here."

Zach watched her carefully from across the room.

The guy put his drink on a counter top immediately. "Well, lucky for you I love playing this game, and I love drinking. I can be your partner."

"Oh, would you? That'd be fun."

She felt like she was in a movie with how scripted things seemed to be. She almost wanted to say 'that would be swell'.

He came closer. And placed a hand on her back for a moment. She felt herself freeze. "I can set it up for you."

"Oh, thanks," she breathed.

She moved out of the way. He leaned forward, setting the table up. She watched Zach walk up cautiously.

"I've got next," he said.

The boy looked up with confidence and said, "You've got first. We're on a team."

The boy winked at her when he said it.

"I need a partner?" Zach asked.

"He's just drinking for me," Ophelia said. "I'll beat you myself."

Zach just laughed.

But...she did. Ten minutes into the game, Zach had scored four on her, while she had scored seven times on him. She only had three more to go.

Zach, clearly buzzed, was a sore loser.

"Yeah, you try aiming drunk," Zach said.

"Weren't you on the baseball team?" she teased him. "And football? Weren't you captain?"

Zach scoffed. "I gotta piss. I'll be back to beat you in a minute."

She wrinkled her nose at his gross phrasing, but laughed. "Sure." She figured he just wanted to stall before she won and they left back for the group.

She hoped no one noticed her gone.

Yet, at the same time, she hoped a particular chaperone might have at least been disappointed to not be seeing her.

When Zach left, Ophelia reached for the ball that he had set in the middle of the table.

The boy beside her moved quickly. "I've got it." He brushed against her as he leaned over her, grabbing it and handing it to her with a smile.

She saw him glance up and down her figure. "So, how'd you get so good at this game?"

A pain shot through her. For a moment, she recalled the first time she played. With Montgomery. He was so bad at the game, but she was so good. He would make her be his partner every time because of it.

'Make her be his partner'. No, he didn't make her. She loved playing with him. She loved...She loved being with him.

At least, she loved it before Bryce's parties turned into a place that stirred up his jealousy.

She cleared her throat. She wanted to play it cool. "Oh, I just used to play it a lot with my friends."

He nodded. "Sounds fun. You should start coming over here to play." He laughed. "We actually have a sort of tournament once a month."

His comment seemed so genuine, she believed he was only inviting her over so that she could play. Maybe frat boys weren't as bad as she thought they were.

"It sounds cool," she said. Laughing she told him, "But I don't go partying a lot."

"You should," he told her. "You would have a lot of fun."

She smiled. "Why me specifically?"

"Cause you're hot. Hot girls get away with a lot."

Ophelia hesitated. She suddenly became very aware of how she changed her appearance to look more appealing. Now, she regretted it.

She felt a pit form in the bottom of her stomach.

Why had she done that?

Was it just for male attention? She was getting it. She swallowed. She didn't want it.

Where did Zach go?

"You have something in your hair," he told her. "Let me grab it."

She tried to keep the smile, to not look suspicious. "Oh, it-it's okay. I can-"

Before she could say anything else, his hand was gently brushing against her hair. His hand lingered for a moment, before his thumb lightly brushed against her face.

What the fuck was taking Zach so long?

She wondered if he got caught up with another drink.

"Oh, shoot," she said, backing away. "I-I just saw the time. I think I have to go."

"We'll wait to finish the game, alright?" he said. "You sure I can't get you anything?"

He stepped back and she exhaled. He took a swing of his drink. She could smell the tequila from where she was.

She realized she was an idiot. If he touched her, if he hurt her, who would be blamed? She would. She made herself look attractive, and then she agreed to play a game with him.

"No, I'm-I'm okay," she tried. "Thank you."

He reached up and touched grabbed arm as he said, "No probl-"

"Hey!"

Ophelia jumped, startled at the loud voice. She turned, and her eyes widened. She pulled herself away from him.

Playing beer pong, being grabbed like that, being scared like that, reminded her even more of Montgomery.

Scott walked in quickly, Justin close behind him.

"Luke, what the fuck?" Scott asked.

Justin quickly walked past Scott, reaching Ophelia quickly. "What the hell?" Justin asked her. "You snuck away for a party?"

She shook her head. She stepped away for Zach, not a party. She wanted to explain, but Scott began talking too fast.

Scott headed to the guy instead of Ophelia. "What's going on, Luke?"

"Hey, Reed. We're just having some fun."

Scott looked heated.

"Yeah? When's the last time your day drinking led to fun?"

Luke made a face and then smiled. "Low blow, man."

"Are you okay?" Justin asked Ophelia.

"I'm fine," she said, quickly. She looked at Scott. "You guys didn't need to come here."

Scott just let out an aggravated, "Yeah, we fucking did."

Ophelia winced. She wasn't used to him speaking with that much anger.

Was he mad at her?

Ophelia felt a feeling of fear rush over her. Justin was mad, Scott was mad, Luke was mad. All these boys were mad at her. And they were all stronger than her. She gulped, not understanding how her thoughts got so dark so quickly.

Luke laughed. "Jesus, Scott. Calm down. This your girl or something?"

Scott let out a low scoff. "This is the girl that I'm supposed to be chaperoning because she's a high school student on a college tour right now."

Fuck. Ophelia felt embarrassment filling her. Now, most attention was there way. All the people in the room looking over.

"Scott-" She tried to stop him.

They could leave, and he could stop embarrassing her.

Luke laughed. He surprised Ophelia by saying, "She's fine. She's not drinking. If she wants to stay, she can stay."

Scott scoffed. "No, she's can't." He turned to Ophelia. "Come on, let's go."

"She can stay," Luke repeated, sternly. She didn't understand why they were arguing. She didn't even want to stay.

Now, finally, Zach reappeared. "Scott? What are-"

"Shut the fuck up," Scott said to him absently. He turned back to Luke swiftly. "She's seventeen, Luke. You want to keep a seventeen year old around?"

"Scott!" Humiliation hit Ophelia quickly at his words.

Luke looked at Ophelia before quickly looking away. "Well, I didn't fucking know that."

"Oh my god," Ophelia huffed. She tore herself away from Justin, and marched right out of the frat house. Justin tried to call after her, but she kept walking. As soon as she hit the sidewalk, she rebuttoned her shirt, all the way up to the top, as she continued marching towards the main college.

Her cheeks burned red.

"Hey!"

Scott caught up with her. She didn't slow down, so he speed walked to keep with her pace.

"Ophelia."

She just kept walking, pretending she didn't hear. God, she was almost out of that party. She would have only stayed for five more minutes. Why'd he have to show up and embarrass her?

"Ophelia, why are you the one mad?"

Ophelia came to an immediate stop. Scott stopped besides her, but Justin, who was apparently behind her, crashed into her.

"Justin!" she hissed.

"Jesus, sorry," he told her.

Ophelia just turned to Scott. "Why would you say that?"

"Your mad I forced you out of a frat party?" Scott asked. "Ophelia, do you have any idea how much trouble you could've gotten into if any other chaperone found out where you were?"

"I was about to leave," she insisted. Obviously she knew she shouldn't have been there. It was off limits, that's why she wanted Zach out.

"Yeah? I know that guy, okay? He's bad news. He wouldn't have let you just walk out as easily as you though you could." Scott's stomach twisted just thinking about Ophelia being near him. He was one of the guys who set his sights on a girl, and didn't let her go unless he got something out of it. Scott always stayed clear of that fraternity because of it.

And Zach fucking Dempsey took her right into it.

"I was only there because of Zach," Ophelia said. "I didn't want him in trouble.

"I didn't want you trouble," Scott said.

She grit her teeth. "Why would you say 'she's seventeen'?" Thinking back to the announcement sent another shot of humiliation down her spine.

"Because that's the only thing to say to make those kind of guys listen," he told her.

"But that-" she gulped. "You know what that's referencing." By saying she was seventeen, it meant she couldn't legally have sex. Why would he bring that up when no one was thinking about it? "Why would you put that on their mind?"

He frowned. "Put what on their mind?"

"As soon as you said that they would obviously think of..." she stopped. She scoffed again, and just repeated, "You put that on his mind."

"What, having sex with you? You think I put that on his mind?" Scott was surprised. Walking into any college party, especially looking like her, how could she think boys were thinking of anything else?

He was glad that her time at Liberty, with all the cruel boys, didn't completely ruin her innocent mind. But her being that naive could put her in danger. It almost had.

Zach wasn't naive. Zach had to have known what that guy was thinking. Scott clenched his fists. Why the fuck had Zach left her alone?

"You did," she insisted.

"Ophelia, that was already on his mind," Scott said. "That's why I wanted to get you the fuck out of there."

"That's not true," she told him.

Justin stood behind her, scratching the back of his head awkwardly as they fought. He knew Ophelia was wrong. Obviously that Luke guy was trying something with her. But if he disagreed with her in front of Scott, she'd turn her anger on his. Justin was willing to sacrifice Scott to stay on her good side.

"Ophelia, that's what every guy in there was thinking about. That's what every guy that sees you thinks about," Scott told her.

She scoffed. "Why, you think I'm dressed like a slut or something?"

"Whoa," Justin breathed sharply.

"Why would you even think that?" Scott asked, seeming offended by her accusation. "No, because you're pretty. And every guy sees that, so every guy thinks of that! And fucking horny Zach should better than to take you into a house full of drunk guys and leave you alone!"

Ophelia just clenched her fists again. "It was just a game," she told him. "It was supposed to be. It was innocent."

"Nothing with those kind if guys is ever innocent," Scott told her. "Not even if you want it to be."

Ophelia looked Scott up and down. He was a frat boy. Were things not innocent for him? Was his mind just as dirty, was that why he was so mad she was in there, because he knew what they were thinking about?

"I'm the one who made him check for you in there," Justin said, finally ready to step in. "Be mad at me."

"I'm not-" She took a deep breath. "I'm not mad. It's embarrassing, okay? You guys embarrassed me."

Justin and Scott shared a look. She definitely seemed mad.

"Your interview is in thirty minutes," Justin said. "Why don't we cool off until then?"

Ophelia swallowed deeply. "Okay. But one of you has to go get Zach."

They both groaned.

"I'm not leaving without him," she said. "You said I could get in trouble, he'll get in more trouble. He's drinking."

Scott sighed. He nodded. "Okay, I'll go get him."

"Wait-" Ophelia said at the same time Justin said, "That's not a good idea."

Scott hesitated.

"I'll go get him," Justin said. "Trust me, you'd make it worse."

Justin nodded to Ophelia. "You guys head to the Dean's office. I'll head up right after you."

Ophelia crossed her arms. When Justin disappeared, she let Scott slowly lead her to the Dean's office.

She let her hand fall to the tie in her shirt. She undid it, and tried tucking her shirt back in as they walked.

Scott felt his gaze pulling towards her. He waited until she was finished fixing herself before he asked, "Why did you say that earlier?" he asked her. He quickly clarified. "Or, why did you ask if I thought you were dressed like a slut?"

Ophelia hesitated, but kept walking. She thought of how she had changed her appearance to start the beer pong game. What a mistake. "I don't know. I thought maybe I was." Zach definitely thought that on the bus that morning.

"I'd never say that," Scott told her. "I would never think that. Who told you that? Why is it even on your mind?"

She gulped. "It's just something I've heard before, alright?"

"From who?" he pressed. Again, she heard anger in his voice.

"Just boys from school."

"Which boys from school?"

Montgomery. Bryce. Zach. Most of the boys from the football team. Most of the boys from the baseball team. Actually, most boys would say it if she in someway rejected their advances.

Oh yeah, her mom.

"It doesn't matter," she told him.

"I think it does."

"Well, it doesn't," she insisted. She crossed her arms and walked faster, even though Scott was the only one who knew where they were going.

"Just like your dad leaving the country for three months didn't matter?"

Ophelia stopped walking immediately. She turned to Scott.

"No. It shouldn't matter to you."

"But it does," he said. "That's not some shit you should keep secret."

Ophelia felt frustrated trying to explain herself. "I'm fine with keeping shit to myself, okay? Other people just make a big deal out of things that are normal for me."

"Being called a slut is normal for you?" he asked. "Your dad leaving you on Christmas is normal for you? That's fucked up."

She scoffed. "You are a great example of why I don't tell people these things."

"Why? Because I care if bad shit happens to you?" Scott was becoming frustrated.

Why was she acting like she didn't matter? Like she was nothing? She was everything.

"You care more than I do," she told him.

"Why does that make you upset? I'm just want to look out for you!"

"You haven't been talking to me for weeks," she snapped him. Her hurt came out in her raised voice. "Are you looking out for me? Or did you see me getting attention from another guy and now you're jealous?"

Scott let out an unbelieving, "Are you serious right now?"

She looked away.

"You think I'm jealous of one of those guys going after you?" he asked. "I'm not. Plenty of guys want you, Ophelia. I'm smart enough to know you don't want them back."

Or, he hoped. Especially when it came to Justin.

"So you just talk to me when you think I'm in trouble?" she asked.

"No!"

"Then why haven't you been talking to me?" she asked him. "What did I do wrong? Why-Why don't you...Why don't you like being around me anymore?"

Was she serious? She thought he didn't like being around her? Sitting on the bus, a few feet away, not even speaking to her drove her crazy.

"Ophelia..."

She regretted her question immediately. "You know what? You-You don't have to answer that." She pushed him away before, she needed to stop being mad that he stayed away.

"You think I don't like being around you? I've had to avoid you. Okay? Because I like being around you too much."

Ophelia almost rolled her eyes. "I'm not stupid, Scott-"

"You're not. You're the smartest person I know," he told her. "And...you're the kindest. And the prettiest-"

"Scott-"

"And it's not hard to tell I feel that way," he told her. He hesitated. "Coach Kerba knows I feel that way."

He didn't want to tell her this. But he didn't want to keep things from her. He wanted to be as open as he could with her.

She frowned. "Coach Kerba?"

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Look, Zach and I...we may have gotten into something in front of the coach. And...Zach mentioned you."

Ophelia frowned in anger. "What did he say about me?"

"He said the only reason I came back to Liberty was for you. And then Coach warned me that I'd get fired if I got caught around you too many times. He doesn't want the school going through another lawsuit because a staff member can't keep to himself."

But if Ophelia said she did want to be with him, at any point, he'd be willing to get fired. Hell, he'd be willing to get sued.

Ophelia felt completely stunned. "He said you came to Liberty for me? Why would Coach even believe that?"

Scott didn't know what to say. He just looked at her for a moment, before looking away.

"Let's get you to the dean's office, alright?"

He started walking. Ophelia lightly touched the back of his arm. His body flinched slightly at the contact.

"Scott..."

He didn't look back at her at first. He wiped his face and let out a deep breath before finally turning. "Yeah?"

'I'm sorry' she wanted to say. 'I'm glad you care. I'm glad you came to Liberty. I'm glad you're still in my life.'

But all she said was, "Thanks for taking me."

To that he just replied, "Of course."

*****

Ophelia's interview was scheduled first. She met Mr. Jensen in the main office, and he gave her endless compliments on her schoolwork and her grades until she was more than confident for the meeting.

The questions seemed surprisingly easy. Then again, Mr. Jensen had known what they'd be.

The Dean said that usually when staff requested interviews for their children or other students, it's because the students in question didn't have the grades to get in on their own. The Dean said she'd love for her to attend Sanderson, and he set her up with the website to apply for scholarships.

Ophelia walked out with her head held high and a large smile on her face.

The interview had taken half an hour. It made sense that he would leave, but Ophelia felt her heart drop when she saw that Scott was gone.

Honestly, she wanted to tell him about how good Jr. went.

Surprisingly, Clay wasn't there either, nor Mr. Jensen. Justin sat alone, looking worried beyond belief. He stood quickly when she came out.

"How'd it go?" he asked her.

"Great," she said, with a wide smile.

He didn't relax.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

He answered with a quick, "Me? Yeah-Yeah, I'm fine."

He was looking away, but she forced eye contact by continuously catching his gaze. "You sure? Do you want to go over the questions again?"

"I know the questions," he told her. "I'm just worried. My dad can't find Clay. He wondered off."

She rolled her eyes. "Shit, why do boys do that so much?"

"I couldn't find Zach either," he confessed. "Maybe they're together."

"Maybe," she said, optimistically. "Don't worry yet, okay? Do your interview first."

"I'm gonna tank it," he said. "I just know I'm gonna tank it."

"You won't," she told him. She put his hands on his shoulders and looked up at him. She narrowed her eyes dramatically. "You got this."

"I got this?" He made fun of her pronunciation.

"Yes," she laughed. "Now go. I'll wait out here."

"You have to," he told her. "The bus already left back to school."

"What?" she groaned. "I was supposed to look at the gym with Marisa."

"The gym?"

"The cheer gym. She's applying for a cheer scholarship. I barely even got to see her today."

"You should try for cheer," Justin said.

She almost laughed. "Thanks, but I'm not as good as these girls. I was cheer captain once and a fight broke out remember?"

Justin cringed. "Oh yeah, sorry about that." He had been the one to first start it.

Justin went in for an interview, and Ophelia sat in the chairs in the waiting room.

A few moments later, the main entrance opened. She didn't look over, not until someone sat next to her.

She turned. When she spotted the familiar person, her heart skipped a beat. Scott hadn't left at all.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him. "Justin said the busses already left."

"Zach and Clay are unaccounted for," Scott told her. "I stayed to look for them."

She studied his seated physique. "You're not looking for them, though."

Scott just looked at her. "No, I'm not." His gaze was intense.

For a moment, neither of them said anything.

"How was your interview?" Scott asked her.

"It was good," she told him. She felt nervous talking to him now. "Um, really good actually. I'm happy about it."

"I knew you'd do great," he mumbled softly.

Ophelia glanced over at him out of the corner of her eye. "Are you going to get in trouble for people skipping out on your watch?"

"I might have been," he said, "But Principal Bolan didn't even realize Justin was gone until I told him."

Ophelia smiled to herself. What trouble these boys caused.

"So how are we getting back?" she asked.

"Zach's mom has been called. Jensen and Foley's dad is here. He can take them back."

She frowned. "And me?"

Scott said, "I, um, I called your mom."

Her eyes widened. "What? Why? I-I could have driven back with Justin."

"You weren't permitted to," he said. "We had to try your mom first."

Ophelia crossed her arms. She leaned back in the chair. "I didn't do anything wrong."

"Well, actually you did, I just didn't tell anyone-"

"She's gonna be mad at me," she said. "She's gonna think I did something bad and that's why you made her come. I don't get it. The school knew about my interview, why would they leave me?"

"One of the speakers was sick, they had to leave early."

"This is ridiculous," she said. "It's not fair. You shouldn't have called her."

Scott let her sit in irritation for a moment before saying, "She didn't pick up."

Ophelia felt herself freeze. "What?"

"It went to voicemail," Scott said. "I even tried twice. So...they can't say I didn't do my best to get ahold of her."

She just nodded. Relief flooded through her. "So I'll be going back with Mr. Jensen?"

Out of the corner of her eye she saw him gulp with nervousness. "Since you'd just be going home I, um, figured maybe I could just take you."

She felt suddenly frigid.

"My roommate here is out of town. He said I could use his car if I needed. It's out in the apartment parking."

A chill ran through her entire body.

The apartments. He wanted her to walk to the apartments with her. To his apartment, with her? Alone?

She gripped onto the handles of the chair.

"But, if you're more comfortable, we could always ask Mr. Jensen if he could drive us since your mom is unavailable-"

"I want to drive with Mr. Jensen," Opheli said so quickly she didn't even have time to think through her words. She looked away from Scott, not wanting to see the way his face fell.

"Yeah," he nodded. "That's probably a better idea anyway."

Scott had figured she might want to go with Justin anyways.

But the real reason was because of how badly she wanted to go with Scott. Ophelia couldn't go to his apartment. She couldn't go anywhere near it. Especially not while alone with him.

Even thinking about him running up and grabbing the keys made her think of everything else that could happen. He could invite her in for a second. She might sit down for a second. Maybe he would sit next to her.

Briefly, Ophelia remembered when she went with Sheri into the Clubhouse her junior year. She remembered how the couch was so small, she had to basically sit on Scott's lap. What if that's how it was in his apartment? Would he be so close he was touching her?

Sitting in these chair next to each other, their legs were almost touching. It had such an affect in her, she didn't know how she'd react if they actually were. One touch from him could do so much.

She gulped. She wouldn't pull away from him if he accidentally touched her. And what if it wasn't an accident? What if he kissed her?

Ophelia looked to the ground. That's why she said no to go with him. Because if he kissed her, she didn't think she'd have to strength to pull away. But she did know that she would probably regret it after wards.

She cursed. She shouldn't even be thinking about that.

Her hands shook in her lap just thinking about the possibilities of being alone with him.

The main entrance opened again, this time Mr. Jensen came in, Clay and Zach with him.

Zach looked much, much more drunk than when she left him. Clay looked like he had been drinking too. Ophelia stood to her feet.

"Zach, where were you?" she asked him.

Zach just shrugged and laughed as Mr. Jensen made them both sit down. "You sound like my mom. You know me. Just out and about."

"Where'd you find them?" Scott asked, standing also.

Mr. Jensen seemed beyond disappointed. "They were in the security office being detained.

Ophelia withheld a gasp. "What did you do, Zach?"

He held up his hands in mock surrender. "Hey, I didn't do anything." His speech was slurred.

"They were apparently hopping around the frat houses," Mr. Jensen seethed. "One of the houses called security with some pretty wild accusations. If it wasn't for the fact that the fraternities here have almost zero credibility we'd have a real problem."

Mr. Jensen stern tone of voice made even Ophelia nervous.

She gulped, and sat back down.

"Zach, I've spoken to your mother," Mr. Jensen informed him.

Zach laughed. "Oof. Well, I am sorry about that." His eyes found Ophelia. "You call her mother too? She's worse, believe me."

Ophelia narrowed her eyes at him. But she didn't disagree.

"I couldn't get a hold of Mrs. Tristano," Scott told Mr. Jensen.

He sighed. "That's alright. I have room for both of you in my car."

"I'm sure Scotty would love to take her home himself," Zach said boldly. Scott tried to ignore him.

Justin walked back in to the main room, having exited the dean's office. His interview seemed a lot shorter.

"What's going on?" Justin asked.

"Go ahead and tell your brother what you've been up to," Mr. Jensen said to Clay. "I'll escort Mr. Dempsey out."

As he left, Zach threw a wink to Ophelia. "I had a lot of fun today, O. You should come over later."

Ophelia wouldn't go over. He knew that. He said it for Scott's benefit. By the way Scott's chest rose and fell, she could see it got to him.

"What happened?" Justin asked.

"I guess one of the houses they went to called security," Scott explained.

"I can talk for myself," Clay said.

"Fine. Then talk," Scott told him.

Clay looked like he wanted to say something, but he stopped suddenly. A sick expression coming over his paling face.

"Dude, are you okay?" Justin asked, coming closer.

"Fuck you," Clay muttered.

Ophelia frowned. "Clay, be nice."

"No, I mean, you really don't look that great," Justin said genuinely concerned.

Scott must have recognized the look on Clay's face. Because immediately, he grabbed hold of Ophelia and brought her further back, just in time.

Then, Clay threw up all the alcohol he'd been drinking, right onto Justin's shirt.

"God, Clay!"

*****

"This place is pretty nice."

Justin had to change before leaving. His father wasn't letting him get in the car with Clay's vomit running down his clothes. Scott offered to lend him something to wear, and to grab a trash bag for his dirty clothes.

Justin went with him to his apartment. He tore off his shirt and jacket immediately, and started taking his pants off and underwear. Scott shielded his eyes.

"Jesus, fucking wait for me to turn around."

"I've seen your dick already," Justin told him. "It's only fair you see mine."

"First of all, there's nothing on your fucking underwear. Leave that shit on," Scott told him. "And, why are you looking at my dick?"

"You know, in the locker room," Justin said. He smirked. "And that dick pic that was sent around."

"Fuck that bitch for that," Scott scoffed. Normally, he didn't speak so cruelly about women. But his ex girlfriend would always be an exception. "Jesus, I never did shit to her. Then she sends that out? It was fucked up."

He suddenly thought about what would happened if he saw her on campus. She would have caused a scene. He froze. What if he saw her with Ophelia?

"Relax, I didn't hear too many girls complaining about it," Justin told him, breaking his thoughts.

Scott hesitated. He almost asked exactly which girls had seen it.

Scott handed him a hoodie he had laying on the couch, and then a pair of slacks from his room.

"This place expensive?" he asked.

Scott said, "Not too bad. I have a roommate but he's gone right now. He's visiting family. He's moving there at the end of the semester. It'll be a little expensive living by myself before I get someone else in here." The only reason he was able to afford it at all was because his scholarship included living expenses.

Justin looked around. "Three rooms?"

"Technically, yes," Scott said. "The third room is technically unlivable right now because it doesn't fit the standards of living or something. We've had a guy staying in there before, but if any campus security asks we have to say the guy slept on the couch. Which is fine, we don't pay three bedroom pricing."

Justin inspected the third room. "What's wrong with it?"

"There's no heating or air in there," Scott said. "No vents. But as long as you bring in your own fan it's alright."

Justin looked around some more. "This place is real nice."

"You looking to move to Sanderson?" Scott asked, noticing his questions.

Justin sighed. "Hopefully. If I find a place that's not too much."

Scott shrugged. "Move in here?"

Justin's eyes lit up. Obviously, that's what he had been hinting at. But he would pretend Scott came up with the idea himself. "Whoa, really?"

"Yeah. Come on, man. I know you. We're cool. Come move in next semester. I need someone in here."

Justin smiled. "Shit, man. That'd be fucking awesome."

He glanced at the third bedroom.

"I could take that one," Justin said.

Scott frowned. "You didn't need to."

"It's okay," Justin said. "Maybe we'll find a third person but the time I move in."

After changing, Scott and Justin headed down to Mr. Jensen's car. Ophelia sat in the back, while Mr. Jensen was having a stern talk with Clay in the front seat.

Justin saw that Ophelia's head was bowed, her cheeks were red, and she seemed completely uncomfortable being in the car while the argument was going on. Justin hopped in the car. He scooted to the middle seat so Ophelia wouldn't have to. Then, Scott got in.

Mr. Jensen stopped the conversation with Clay to ask Justin, "Did you leave your group too?"

Justin glared at Clay. "Why would you tell him that?"

"Great," Mr. Jensen said. "Can anyone follow the rules?"

Ophelia just prayed Clay didn't rat out her too. And technically, Scott also left the group, but to look for her.

"Dad, Scott said I can be his roommate next year."

Visibly, Mr. Jensen relaxed. While he drove, he looked back in the mirror to look at Scott. "Really? You'll put up with his messes? We have to put him in a house in the backyard to keep the house clean."

Scott and Justin laughed.

"We'll see," Scott laughed. "Hopefully I won't have to rethink this."

Ophelia was not as enthusiastic. She crossed her arms and looked out the window.

Ophelia had wanted to ask Justin if he would be a roommate with her. She never mentioned it to him, she had only thought of it herself a while ago. Now, she felt stupid for even thinking he'd be interested in that.

It served her right. Her mother would probably never let her move in with a boy anyway.

And...she was jealous. She was jealous thinking of Scott getting to see Justin everyday. And of Justin getting to see Scott everyday.

Mr. Jensen stopped at Ophelia's house first. He offered to get out of the car to explain to her mother why Ophelia was late.

"No," Ophelia said quickly. "It's okay. I'm sure she hasn't even noticed."

She glanced at Scott for just a moment before heading inside.

She frowned. Her mother wasn't even home. She checked the garage and her car was gone. She must have left. Honor was gone too. Maybe they went out shopping.

She went to her room and took a shower. Then, she got into her pajamas. At only four o'clock, she crawled into bed.

She drifted off to sleep, exhausted from the day, and not wanting to stay up with her thoughts.

But her dreams turned out to be just as haunting as her day had been. She dreamed of Montgomery. She wouldn't tell anyone, but she dreamed of him almost every night.

She still dreamed of him at the pier. But lately, her dreams were different. He was kinder to her, and sometimes, she just dreamed of him and her laying in bed, doing nothing at all. In her dreams, she could pretend nothing bad ever happened. She got the ending she wanted.

Three hours later, at seven, she woke up startled. She awake heartbroken every single day, remembering Montgomery was not there, and he was never as kind in real life. She was used to the pain of the dream shattering by now. Her phone was buzzing next to her continuously.

She grabbed hold of it. Estella was calling. She frowned to herself as she answered.

"Estella, are you okay?"

She was groggy when answering, but immediately snapped out of it at the sound of screaming in the background on the other end.

"Estella?"

"I-I'm okay." She spilt in a whisper.

She sounded the furthest from okay.

Ophelia sat up completely. "What's going on?"

"C-Can you pick me up?" Estella whispered in the phone. "I can, um, pay you for gas."

"What?" she said. "No, you don't have to pay. I'll come get you right now, okay?"

"Okay," Estella said, shaking. "But, um, you don't have to hurry. Take your time. Just text me when you're here."

Estella hung up.

Ophelia felt her blood run cold. She set her phone down, slowly.

A thousand thoughts running through her head at once.

"Don't listen to her."

She jumped.

In front of her was the hallucination she thought she was finally rid of.

Montgomery.

The simple sight of him make her heart stop.

He leaned against her door.

He just...He looked so real. Had she not attended his funeral, had his tragic death not happened, she would have thought he snuck in her room.

But he hadn't. He was dead. And she was going crazy again.

Ophelia didn't want to move. Because for once, she didn't want to see him disappear.

He was in her dream. Now he was in her room. It was not real, but she wanted to be able to pretend it was for even a moment.

All the memories of it brought on by that stupid party brought sadness upon her. For some reason, even though he stood in the place he assaulted her, she was devastated to realize he would go and leave her alone to constantly reprocess his death.

"Monty-"

He didn't let her speak. He just repeated, "Don't listen to her."

For a moment, Estella had left her mind. But she quickly returned. Don't listen to her? Don't listen to Estella?

She didn't know what he meant until she heard his words, "Hurry, Ophelia."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

450K 10.7K 57
she was her other half - literally how does hannah baker's twin sister deal with her death? more importantly - how does she deal with the tapes her s...
6.8K 72 19
How could I love someone who was so cruel to me? Everyone would wonder but never ask, they thought I was oblivious to it until I was made to come for...
171K 2.8K 39
'People don't want to know the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.' || Book 1 in the Bailey Matthews Series || || 13 Reasons Why...
207K 3.4K 80
"๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง๐ค ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐›๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฆ๐ž, ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ." "๐š๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ."