Because of Karson

By lauren9853_

Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone se... More

Authors note
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 31

83.6K 2K 2.3K
By lauren9853_

Nora and I were walking to class the next morning, trying not to think about Karson, when Colton abruptly stopped us. He was breathing heavily, using the back of his hand to wipe a bead of sweat off his forehead.

"What the hell?" Nora whispered under her breath as she took a small step back.

"It's Karson," Colton shot out, breathing heavily as he only stared into my eyes. His chocolate, brown eyes were swimming with a look of concern as I immediately stiffened.

"What about him?" I carefully asked as I had no clue what was going on. Why did he come to tell me?

"Karson and Brody are fighting in the gym," Colton admitted, his eyes darting around the students that stood still in the hallway.

"Okay?" Nora cut in, her eyebrows raising in annoyance. "Why is this our problem?"

I felt a weird feeling in my gut as I gently tugged the hem of my shirt. I was worried about Karson. Is he okay?

"It's about you," he grunted, pointing his finger at me. I slightly gasped, my eyes almost popping out of my skull as those words fell from his mouth.

"Why the fuck would it be about me?" I whisper-yelled as students began to stop in the hallway, trying to listen to what Colton was telling me.

"I don't fucking know," he mumbled. "Just come with me!"

"Drama? I'm in!" Nora squealed as she dragged my arm and pulled me along. I grunted, the sudden movement making me almost trip over my feet. Colton followed behind us as her nails began to dig in my flesh. Ouch.

Nora dragged me all the way to the gym with my arm in her grasp as she used her body to push the door open. We stumbled through the door, hearing a grunt from Colton as the door almost swung back in his face.

She abruptly stopped in front of us as we both looked up to see a crowd forming in the middle of the gym.

"Goddamn it!" Colton barked from behind us before darting through the crowd of people.

"This reminds me of that one time when Brody hurt Jace by the lockers," I shivered, the palms of my hands sweating as those flashbacks clouded my thoughts.

Nora hummed in response, not letting go as she dragged me along once again. She pulled me through the crowd of students holding their phones as they recorded the fight between Karson and Brody. Fuck. This was not good.

"Excuse me," I mumbled under my breath as I kept running into people's shoulders. "Sorry."

Nora didn't say a word, she just continued to pull on my hand until we reached the front. She squealed, breathing heavily as she looked around the crowd of students.

I squeezed my eyes shut as I heard the insults the two boys were throwing at each other. I didn't want to open my eyes. I didn't want to see Karson hurt.

Nora nudged my side, causing my eyes to shoot up as I glared at her. "Look!"

I huffed, giving in as I stared at the back of Karson's body. His muscles were tense as he held both of his fists in front of him. My eyes traveled to see Brody standing in front of Karson, his nose bloody as a purple bruise covered the majority of his jaw.

I sucked in a sharp breath as my eyes raked over the damage Karson had done to Brody. I still wasn't able to see if Karson was hurt because his back was facing us.

I whipped my head around, trying to find Colton, since he was the first one to break away from the group. My eyes stopped, immediately landing on a furious Colton as he held back Braxton.

Braxton was watching the fight, furious eyes traveling between the two boys in the middle. As if he could feel my eyes, his head snapped to mine as he stared at me with a look of concern.

"He needs to stop," he mouthed to me, his eyes softening when they connected with mine. "He's going to lose control."

I slightly tilted my head in confusion as I bit the inside of my cheek. My eyes widened when I realized what he meant. I whipped my head to look at Karson who was throwing a punch at Brody, landing a hit on his cheek. I winced, turning my head so I didn't have to see Brody's body stumble back.

This was a trigger for Karson. He's taking all his anger out on Brody, and if he doesn't stop soon, he will fucking kill him.

"I told you not to fuck with me," I heard Karson growl as he blocked Brody's fist that pummeled down on him.

"Oh come on, Ryder. I may have said a few things about little ol' Dakota, so fucking what?" Brody smirked as his smile lines contorted with amusement.

"What you said was fucked up," Karson hissed, gaining another strike on Brody's abdomen.

"Aw, you didn't like when I said-"

Brody wasn't able to finish his sentence because Karson's fist connected with his jaw once more, sending Brody to the floor. His body was sprawled on the ground as he spat blood on the gym floor.

"Jesus Christ!" Braxton roared, stepping in between the two as Brody struggled to stand up.

Braxton stepped in front of Karson, roughly pushing him back as he whispered something into Karson's ear. They continued to talk until Braxton abruptly turned around to face the crowd.

"Get the fuck out of here! Nothing to see, get to class," Braxton yelled, his voice echoing throughout the gymnasium.

I watched as a few students scrambled away while others grunted in protest. Most students took a while to walk back to class, but some discreetly took photos of Brody on the floor before they quickly ran out.

I stood still, my feet almost glued to the floor as students walked around Nora and I. Brody eventually got up, stumbling in the process as he swayed on his feet. He looked around the now small crowd, searching for someone in particular.

I watched as his body spun in a circle before those dreadful eyes met mine. He narrowed his eyes at me, clenching his bruised jaw as he stiffly shook his head. I blankly stared at him, not giving him the satisfaction of being scared.

I heard him mumble something under his breath before ignoring Braxton and Karson as he turned on his heel and walked out. I huffed in annoyance as I raised my shaky hand, gently running it through my blonde locks.

This time, Nora gently grabbed my hand as we slowly walked over to the three boys. Colton had eventually joined them, placing a comforting hand on Karson's shoulder as they all looked distressed.

The crowd completely died down, just leaving Nora, Braxton, Colton, Karson, and I. I was surprised that not even one teacher heard the commotion in the gym, but they were probably used to it.

Colton whipped his head up to connect our gaze as his eyes slightly softened. I gave him a sad smile as Nora and I stopped in front of the boys.

Karson held his head low, staring at the floor as his bruised knuckles clenched in rage. The scars on his knuckles weren't as noticeable, because a line of blood trickled down them as a colorful bruise hid the small, white scars.

Braxton almost sighed in relief when his eyes traveled from Karson to Nora and I. I tried to give him a reassuring smile, but deep down, I fought back the guilt that sunk in the pit of my stomach. Colton said they were fighting because of me. Karson was hurt because of me.

Karson slowly lifted his head, the silence between us almost dreadful. When his emerald eyes met mine, I almost gasped when I took in his appearance. His lip was busted, a small cut running just below his nose and all the way down to his lower lip.

There was a bruise beginning to form on his temple, the purple color more evident as the lighting shined on it. I sucked in a sharp breath, almost wincing myself because I knew how bad that hurt. He was probably used to these injuries since he fought, but it didn't make me feel any better. I didn't like seeing him like this.

"Jesus, Karson," I whispered, my eyes scanning over his face that contorted with pain. Everyone stood still beside us as his gaze never left mine.

"Don't Jesus, Karson me," he growled as his eyes narrowed into slits. I took a deep breath, trying to push down my anger. I could feel my blood begin to boil as he continued to glare at me.

"What's with you and Brody, huh?" I pushed, my eyes challenging him as I slightly tilted my head. I could feel my patience slowly disappear as I stared at his clenched jaw.

"We got into a little fight, so fucking what?" He grunted, his eyes burning with anger. What happened to last night? It almost felt like it was a dream, like it didn't even fucking happen.

"Over what?" I pressed, my cheeks red as I watched his chest rapidly move up and down. 

"Nothing," he mumbled under his breath as his gaze faltered. He clenched his bloody fist at his side, never once looking at our friends surrounding us.

"Come on, Ryder," I sarcastically mocked as I lightly pushed his chest. "Why were you two fighting, huh?"

He looked taken aback as he stumbled over his feet. My hands felt warm for a split second as it collided with his broad chest. His eyes immediately lit up with anger, his once emerald eyes were now almost black.

His nostrils flared as he stepped forward menacingly. I held my breath as his body towered over me. I averted my eyes as I tried not to stare at the bruises that covered his face. I felt horrible.

"Why the fuck does it matter to you, princess?" Karson growled under his breath, for only me to hear. He emphasized the word, princess

I met his eyes, my eyebrows furrowing together as I lightly shook my head. I gave a dry laugh as I roughly pushed my finger into his chest. He didn't budge, but his eyes still held a glint of fury. "I just want to know why the fuck you guys were fighting over me."

I felt his body stiffen under my touch as he tried to control the emotion flashing across his face. He pushed my finger away before roughly wiping under his nose to wipe the remaining blood away. He didn't know that I knew the fight was about me. He didn't know that I heard what Brody said.

"We're just going to, um, give y'all some space," Nora mumbled beside us as I heard Braxton, Colton, and Nora slowly walk away. I almost forgot they were right next to us.

Karson and I didn't respond as we continued to glare at each other. My body tensed as I heard the gym doors close, indicating we were left alone. I scoffed, turning on my heel as I shook my head.

I abruptly stopped and turned around to face Karson who stood in the middle of the gym. His eyes were watching my every move as I took a few steps forward. I stared at the boy who opened up to me yesterday, wondering why he was acting like this. I was furious as I grit my teeth.

"Brody said some fucked up things about you, okay?" Karson admitted as we now stood a few feet apart. I needed to keep my distance because I was afraid of what my body would do if I was that close to him again.

"Tell me what he said," I demanded, my voice hoarse as I watched his hand gently run through his dark hair.

He glanced up at the ceiling, clenching his jaw as he took a deep breath. "He said you looked like a good fuck and told me he would do anything, even if it meant hurting you, to get in your pants. He said a few more things but I'm not saying that shit out loud."

It felt like someone had just punched me in the stomach. The breath was knocked out of me as I stared at the furious boy in front of me. My stomach twisted in a knot as I felt bile start to rise in the back of my throat.

"You're hurt," I swallowed, totally ignoring what he just told me because I didn't want it to be true. How could someone say that? I felt a shiver run down my spine as my mouth went dry.

"Dakota, that doesn't fucking matter," he snapped as he took large strides to stand in front of me once again. "Remember what I told you last night? I'm used to this kind of shit. This is probably one of the least painful injuries I've ever gotten in my fighting career."

I stared at the floor beneath us, biting my lip hard as Karson's cologne invaded my nostrils. "You're hurt because of me."

"And I'd do it all over again if I had to, princess," he rasped, his voice hard as his feet subconsciously took one more step.

"No," I shook my head, my thoughts circling around each other, mixing together as my head began to spin.

"I swear to God, Dakota. I was just so fucking mad when he said those things that all I saw was red, so I punched him," he admitted, trying to reach out to me, but I subconsciously flinched back.

"Karson, please don't hurt yourself for me," I quietly told him as a frown morphed onto my face. I watched the color drain from his face as he shook his head, his eyes softening.

"What he said was fucked up," he growled, his eyes narrowing at nothing in particular. He was just angry.

"I understand that," I agreed, trying to reason with him. "But I hate seeing you hurt. I hate seeing those bruises on your face. I don't fucking like it!"

Karson visibly tensed as his mouth opened and closed. His eyes were saucer wide as his lips pressed together in a thin line. "I'm fine, okay? Don't fucking worry about me!"

I stiffly nodded my head, my eyes narrowed into slits as I grit my teeth. I felt my enamel grind against each other in frustration. I didn't know why looking at the bruises scattered across his jaw made me so angry.

"Just go to the nurse, Ryder," I shook my head, my voice barely above a whisper as the tension between us slowly built back up. I turned around before he could say anything, leaving him standing alone in the gym as I trudged towards the doors.

The silence was so loud that I could hear my own heart beat in my chest. I was almost to the doors when I heard his pounding footsteps behind me. Before I had time to turn around, I felt his calloused hand gently grab my wrist.

He quickly turned my body around to where I was facing him. A small squeal left my lips, not expecting the sudden movement. "What the fu-"

Karson had a small scowl tugging at his lips before he cut off my sentence, smashing his lips onto mine. My body froze, not comprehending that his lips were against mine as his arms crawled around my waist.

I quickly realized what was going on and started moving my lips against his, going in sync. My eyes fluttered shut as my hands reached up to grab the nape of his neck. He possessively grabbed my waist, pulling me closer to his body until our chests were pressed against each other. The kiss was rough, yet gentle at the same time.

He ran his hand down my waist until one of them grabbed my hip, causing me to groan into his mouth. His lips were soft as teeth gently tugged on my lower lip, his tongue easily slipping through as it found its way into my mouth. He grazed over my teeth as I tried to hold back another groan.

He tasted so fucking good. I could taste a mix of mint and chocolate as his tongue roamed around my mouth. He eventually pulled back, immediately missing the warmth from his plump lips.

I felt butterflies swarm inside of my stomach as I looked at his swollen lips. We were both breathing heavily as a small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. I gently brought my hand up from his neck and gently grazed over the bruise that covered his jaw.

He closed his eyes, trying to catch his breath as he leaned into my touch. I didn't realize until now that he had me pressed up against the wall as he stared down at me.

My breaths came out shaky, feeling jolts of electricity shoot throughout my whole body. Karson Ryder just kissed me.

Karson Ryder just fucking kissed me.

A small chuckle left my lips as his eyes lit up with curiosity. His eyes flickered down to my lips before slowly leaning in again. This time, when his lips hit mine, he moved slower and more gently.

His lips moved against mine as his fingers were tangled in my hair, lightly pulling my head up. My hands roamed up and down his back, lightly tracing his tense muscles. It was his turn to groan inside my mouth, causing my knees to feel weak. I gently tugged at his hair as my heart began to pound in my chest.

His hands gently caressed each curve, my waist, my hips, and even the curve of my breast. His lips moved against mine, neither one of us breaking away because we both needed more of each other. I needed his lips on mine.

He unfortunately pulled away once more, both of us breathing heavily as he gently leaned his forehead against mine. I gripped the back of his shirt as I gently traced over his muscles once again. He sucked in a sharp breath as my hand trailed against his shoulder blade.

His eyes traveled to reach mine, a small smirk tugging at his swollen lips as his eyes were glazed over with a glint of desire. He caressed my cheek before trailing down to rub his thumb gently along my lower lip. My teeth let go of my bottom lip, completely forgetting that I was biting it so hard.

"God, you're so beautiful," he mumbled under his breath, mainly for himself but he said it loud enough so I was able to hear. I lost my breath, the compliment making me feel hot as I felt my cheeks redden.

He took a step back, his eyes never leaving my face as a small smile stained his lips. We just stared at each other, not knowing entirely what to say. I didn't even know what the fuck just happened.

I kept my face blank, only staring at him with dull eyes even though my heart hammered in my chest. He opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it.

"You are going to be the fucking death of me," he cursed under his breath, lightly shaking his head before he turned on his heel. His gaze stayed on me for another second before he hesitantly walked towards the gymnasium doors, never once looking back.

I kept my eyes on him the whole time, holding my breath until I heard the door close. His tense muscles were noticeable through his thin t-shirt, the shadow of his shoulder blades visible as he walked away.

When I no longer saw his retreating figure, I let out a huge breath. I raised my hand over my chest as I felt my heart pound in my ribcage.

"Fucking hell," I mumbled under my breath as the thought of Karson's lips on mine replayed in my head. I leaned against the wall, trying to steady my breathing before going to class.

I couldn't fight back the huge smile that stretched across my face as my hand covered my lips. I bit my lip, remembering the minty taste that traveled from Karson's mouth, into mine.

I chuckled to myself, the situation feeling surreal as I finally trudged towards the doors. I placed one foot in front of the other as a permanent smile rested on my lips. I shook my head, the answer was so clear now.

I glanced behind my shoulder as my hands pushed against the door handle. I stared at the wall that Karson had just kissed me against before a small shiver ran down my spine. I averted my gaze, turning back around as I finally pushed the door open.

When I opened the door, I was welcomed with high school students roaming the halls, some of them throwing weird glances at me as I blended in with the crowd.

My eyes traveled around the hall, trying to find my friends. I couldn't find a certain redhead and I couldn't find a certain boy with emerald eyes. I shook my head, not able to forget about those emerald eyes.

The thought of Karson made me feel a new sense of nervousness. After what happened in the gym, I finally had my answer.

I truly don't hate Karson Ryder.

—————————————————————————————
HI OMG OMG
THIS CHAPTER HEHEHEH I HOPE YOU LIKED IT!!
We are so close to 70k, y'all are absolutely insane.
I love you guys to the moon and back

-Lauren <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.2K 2.4K 41
"I am sorry,"I sobbed "Shut up bitch, and remove your shirt."He yelled I silently cried as a smirk appeared on his face. ***************************...
631K 21.4K 53
"Do they not say that a good friendship builds on a ground of lies?" I joke, lightening the mood immediately as his green eyes glint in humor and a s...
91.9K 1.8K 50
Alexis was heartbroken when August, her best friend of ten years, humiliated her in front of the whole school. August leaves school the same year and...
8.3K 291 29
He wore a light blue shirt and leather jacket, and had fluffy black hair that fell into his eyes if his head was tilted just right. He stood with his...