Honesty - Criminal Minds || S...

By bekah-x

{Book One} COMPLETED - SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12 The BAU were not ready for the arrival of Aaron's Hotchne... More

POV Titles.
Prologue
1. Agent Brenda Melanie Joyner
2. Team
3. Digging The Dirt
4. Skin
5. Swallowing Your Pride
6. CH3CH2OH
7. Carpe Diem
8. Out With It
9. What You Waiting For?
10. Competition
11. Act Normal
12. Blame It On Me
13. The Winning Move
14. Life Support
15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
16. We're the FBI
17. What Makes You Beautiful
18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman
20. From Past To Present
21. What's Meant To Be Will Be
22. Gratitude
24. Proximity
25. Inseparable
26. Reconciliation
27. What's Mine Is Yours
28. It Can Happen To Anyone
29. Overview
30. Reach Out Your Hand
31. This Time It's Personal
32. It's All About The Impact
33. Take Me To Church
34. It's Better Late Than Never
35. Sheer Perfection
36. Feel My Pain
37. Small Bump
38. Hold Me Closer
39. What Is The Right Thing?
40. Arrivederci

23. The Gift of Love

9.5K 191 155
By bekah-x

"Any fool can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a daddy." ~ Philip Whitmore Senior

The Daughter

"Can I talk to you guys for a minute?" I asked, entering the living room after Jack had gone to bed. The engagement party had been a week ago now, and I'd finally made my decision.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" Beth asked as my dad muted the TV.

"Well..." I sighed emphatically, sitting down on the armchair opposite the sofa they were sat on.

"I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I've decided that I'd like to give you both some space together. It's not fair that I should always be here under your feet when you want to spend time together. So, I've decided that I'm going to move out." I nodded my head, unsure of what else to say to soften the blow.

The pair looked at each other in surprise; wide eyes and parted mouths.

"Mel, you don't have to do this..." My dad insisted, shifting and straightening on the sofa.

"No, no I do," I nodded. "You guys will be getting married in a couple years, and I don't want to get in the way of that... I don't like bringing Spencer here all of the time because I don't want to get in the way of your time together when we finally have the time to spend here at home.

"I'll still look after Jack whenever you guys want me to, and that way you'll have the whole house to yourselves... Believe me this isn't a decision I've made lightly, I've been thinking about it since we got back from Denver, and more so since last week... I think it's the best decision for us all."

"But Melanie..." Beth said in a sad tone. "I don't want you to move out," She insisted. "I mean, I love us all living together," She explained. "We're a family, and isn't that what families do?" She asked.

"They do," I agreed with a lump in my throat and tears pooling in my eyes. "But you guys need your space to be together, and I need my space too I suppose..."

"You don't have to do this, Mel," My dad said with sad eyes. I nodded my head in understanding. "We love you living with us. Please, why don't you stay?" He asked.

"We'll give you and Spencer your space, and you can take Jack to Spencer's whenever we need space - which won't be often." I shook my head with a smile.

"You'll be married before we know it - you'll need your space. I'll still take Jack, but it will be often because he's my little brother and I love him and you'll want to do your own thing just like Spencer and I will too... Please... I think this is best for us all."

"Well we can't force you to stay," My dad said, sitting forward. "I only wish we'd had more time together, as a family," Beth laced her fingers through his and smiled at him sadly. The tears dropped from my eyes and i sniffed, frantically brushing them away.

I didn't want to leave my family, but we both needed our space.

"You're almost thirty," My dad continued with a small and emotional chuckle. "So it's only fair you have your own space," He sighed. "I only wish we had more time to together." He repeated.

We all looked at each other emotionally before my dad got up and crossed the room to me, gesturing for me to stand up. He pulled me into his arms emotionally and held me there tightly.

"Melanie sweetheart," Beth whispered softly, crossing the room to my dad and I. Slowly I stepped out of the hug, sniffling.

"Your dad and I love you dearly," She said. "He hasn't had you for long... Whether it's right or wrong, we both feel like we're losing you in a small way," She explained, sweeping the hair and tears from my cheeks.

"Why don't you stay until the end of the month until we can sort some things out, and then see how you feel?" My dad suggested in a thick voice.

I looked up to find them both nodding at me enthusiastically, desperate to keep me for a little while longer.

I have a small smile and nodded sadly. They both smiled and Beth kissed my forehead.

"We love you so much Melanie, we just don't want to lose you." My dad said, pulling me in for another desperate hug.

For the first time in my life I'd never felt so wanted.

The Doctor

The following night after a whole day of paperwork at the BAU, Melanie invited me over for dinner with the family, and I agreed, deciding to jump at the opportunity to spend time with Jack.

As Melanie was taking a shower I headed into Jack's room where he was reading his comics.

"Hey little guy." I said, sitting down next to him on the floor.

"Hey Spencer." He smiled at me.
"Did you know that it's Mel's birthday in a couple weeks?" I asked, glancing at the door to make sure it really was closed all the way.

He nodded his head.

"She's old." He frowned and I laughed, nodding my head.

"We all are now," I explained. "Well, I need your help with something..."

"Have you not got her a present yet?" He gasped, looking up at me with innocent eyes.

"Oh yeah, that's all sorted," I explained. "It's something else I need your help with," I smiled and took the comic from his lap so he'd pay attention to what I was about to say.

"I'm going to have a party for her birthday," I whispered and his eyes lit up. "But it has to be a surprise," I explained and he nodded his head. "And I need your help with something,"

He nodded his head even more and I swear it would've fallen off if he hadn't thrown his arms around me excitedly as I said this.

"So you'll help me?" I whispered and he pulled back.
"Of course Spencer!" He gushed, rolling his eyes dramatically.

"Okay well remember you can't tell anybody about this."
"Not even dad?"
"Not even your dad. Or Beth. You can't tell anybody. This is going to be our little secret and we're going to make it a really big surprise for Mel, okay?"

"But what if I forget and tell somebody?" He frowned sadly.
"You won't. You're super smart Captain Jack Sparrow, you won't forget at all." He grinned and high-fived me.

"Okay Spencer, I won't tell anybody."

After dinner whilst Beth and Melanie were putting Jack to bed, I explained my plan to Aaron for Mel's birthday. I explained how much I wanted it to be what Jack and I could do for her, but that I also needed Aaron's help so that Jack would keep it a secret.

I felt like a kid again, sneaking around planning something fun.

I had no idea I had such a devious streak in me.

The Daughter

For the next couple of weeks everyone was acting so weird around me. Conversations were cut short and boring. I struggled to believe it didn't have anything to do with the fact that I'd decided on moving out of the family home.

I'd spoken already to Garcia about it and she was pretty adamant that I had to stay with my dad and Beth after all the years I'd spent trying to find him.

Nobody could understand that I didn't want to move out, but I knew that I had to. I was practically thirty and living with my engaged father wasn't exactly the proudest thing.

I mean, sure our situation was most definitely unique but that didn't mean we had to spend every available minute making up for all of the years we'd lost.

"Happy birthday sweetheart!" Beth chimed as I entered the kitchen. There were balloons and banners everywhere and Jack squealed, jumping down off the stool at the breakfast bar and running for me.

"Thanks guys." I laughed, hugging Jack tightly and ruffling his hair.

"You're old now." He said disgustedly and I laughed even more.

"So does this mean I'm not allowed to play Elizabeth anymore?" I whined and his face totally changed.

"No Mel, I don't have anybody else to play Elizabeth!" I laughed and shook my head.

"I'll always play Elizabeth so long as you play Captain Jack." I explained and he grinned, throwing his arms around my neck.

"You're the best big sister ever!" He squealed.

"Happy birthday darling," My dad said, approaching me and hugging me tightly, kissing my cheek before pulling back and handing me an envelope along with my phone.

"I'd tell you to open your presents now, but Garcia called me, we have a case." I groaned and tipped my head back.

"Of course we do." I whined.

"You've got to be kidding?" Beth gasped. "But it's your birthday!" She whined. "Surely you can just go tomorrow?" I shook my head with a sad smile.

"Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. And besides it's not as though it's the first birthday I've ever had."

"No but it's a special one. You're thirty. You can't just ignore that." She insisted.

"Ugh," I groaned. "I'm thirty, don't remind me," I'd finally escaped my twenteens and was heartbroken to say the least. If I wasn't an adult before; I certainly was now.

"Honestly I really don't mind not having the opportunity to celebrate my birthday," I chuckled. "The fact I'm only older is depressing enough thank you."

I took a slice of toast and my travel mug of coffee as Beth handed it to me. I leaned forward and kissed her cheek as she wished me a good day and a happy birthday.

She kissed me on the forehead as usual and I ruffled Jack's hair on the way out of the door with my dad. So far it was just like any other day. And for the first time ever; I was actually pleased by that.

The Leader

"Alright, you ready?" I fastened my seatbelt and started the engine as Melanie climbed in after me; a slice of toast in her mouth; her satchel around her; her cup of coffee in her hand.

"Mhmm..." She nodded around her mouthful of toast and I smiled, pulling away from the house and trying to hide the fact that I was overly excited for this day to start. "So what's the case?" Melanie asked as she finished her breakfast.

"Oh uh..." I cleared my throat. "A ten year-old boy was kidnapped across town an hour ago. PD thinks it could be serial as a boy of the same age was kidnapped last week. His body was found in a park three miles from the abduction site yesterday."

"No wonder we're being called in. That's terrible."
"We haven't had one with kids in a while."
"So we won't have to travel anywhere?"
"Nope this one's a home-call."
"I don't know if that makes it worse or better." I nodded my head in agreement.

As I drove and found myself thinking about 'the case' I had to remind myself that it didn't actually exist.

Melanie finished her coffee just as I was pulling up outside of the building.

The pair of us hurried inside HQ and took to the elevator.

"Mel I need you to head to the old records room down the hall. Garcia's already in there searching for a hard file on a case we had years ago. It hasn't been put on the database yet." I explained, pointing down the hall as we left the elevator.

"Sure I'll be with you in five." She nodded and made her way down the corridor and I grinned.

"Did she fall for it?" Spencer whispered to me as I entered the BAU.
"Hook line and sinker."

The Daughter

I hurried along the corridor, knowing not a moment could be wasted. I scanned my badge on the side of the door and pushed inside the room saying,

"Hey Garci, my dad explained you need help finding an old file." The door slammed shut behind me and I found myself in complete and utter darkness.

"Garcia?" I called out, reaching behind me and flipping the light-switch. I turned back to the room before me to find it completely empty of Garcia; nothing but stacks of files and filing cabinets before me.

I groaned and spun on my heel, marching out of the room and back along the corridor.

"Garcia?" I called, pushing inside her office to find it completely empty. "What the Hell?" I questioned, not knowing where on Earth the brightly coloured tech genius was.

Deciding to quit the wild goose chase I headed back along the unit, so confused I didn't even see the banners and balloons at first as I pushed through the glass doors to,

"Happy birthday Mel!" The whole Unit chanted and everyone was jumping up from behind desks or around shelves or tables or doors with party poppers and horns.

I jumped at each individual noise and cringed, squinting apprehensively at everyone around me; everyone grinning at me happily.

I looked a little perplexed as I stood there in amongst the streamers and confetti, totally flabbergasted as everyone chuckled.

"Happy birthday Melly." Spencer grinned, reaching me first and rubbing my arms, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

"The case was a prank, wasn't it?" I whispered in disbelief, looking up into Spencer's honest hazel eyes and watching a smile spread across his face as he nodded slowly. "There isn't a boy kidnapped across town and Garcia isn't lost in some filing cupboard somewhere?" I questioned.

"Oh hell no honey I'm right here, bring it it!" Penelope cheered from beside me, snapping a party hat over my head and pulling me in for a tight squeeze.

The Doctor

It was so good to see Mel happy and laughing as we all ate birthday cake and coffee for the entire morning. Aaron had to consult on a few meetings, and a few of us had to draft up preliminary profiles for local PD's, but mostly we sat around talking and writing reports.

"We'll pick you up around seven for dinner Spencer, if that's okay?" Aaron asked as he dropped me off at my apartment.

"That sounds perfect. See you then." Aaron and Melanie had 'invited me out to dinner' that night as they were 'going out for a meal with Beth and Jack to celebrate Melanie's birthday'.

Really they were doing no such thing and I'd technically been the one to 'create' such 'plans'.

Now I just had to rely on Jack to make it all go smoothly.

The Daughter

"I'm not too sure that red's really my colour, Beth." I insisted as Beth helped me with my zip.

"Of course it's your colour Mel," She scoffed. "Any and every colour is your colour." She said matter-of-factly, stepping back from me to fix my hair around my back again.

"Thanks," I said bashfully. "For everything." I added and Beth shook her head saying,

"Don't be silly Mel. It's only a zip." She smiled at me not only with her lips, but with her eyes. She tapped my half-bare shoulder as she left the room and I was left staring at my reflection.

"Mel we're ready to go if you are!" My dad's voice called upstairs to me and with one last glance in the mirror I sighed and called back,

"I'm ready!" I just really hoped Spencer approved of my outfit.

I was wearing a deep red midi-dress which had long sleeves, and peep toe strappy heels. The dress itself was plain enough, as were the shoes really. Beth had explained we were going to an Italian restaurant across town, and if it was the one I was thinking of; it was pretty up-scale and formal, and pretty damn amazing.

I was excited because I was spending my birthday with the people I loved more than anything; my family. That's all I needed to spend my birthday with. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Wow," I gasped as I stepped out of the house hand-in-hand with Jack. "What's this?" I laughed, turning to see Beth and my dad in the doorway.

"Oh my God!" Beth laughed heartily, covering her mouth briefly with her hand, turning to my dad with wide eyes as he locked the door and gaped at the long slim-line black limousine at the end of the path.

"Mel." Beth smiled emotionally, nodding back to the limo just as someone cleared his throat. I turned back to it so quickly I could've potentially gained whiplash and laughed as I saw Spencer holding the back door of the limo opened.

"Your carriage awaits madame." He said, bowing and gesturing inside the limousine.

"Spence," I giggled idiotically, walking down the path with a knowing Jack. "What're you doing here?" I asked in surprise, reaching up to kiss his cheek before wiping my lipstick away with the pad of my thumb.

"Well it's your birthday," He said matter-of-factly. "And every birthday Princess must travel in style." He shrugged, ducking inside the limousine with me.

"You look great." I admitted, reaching up to touch his burgundy velvet tie. It looked fantastic against his dark blue and light blue polka dot shirt and navy suede blazer.

"And you look stunning." He said, casting his darkening eyes across my body as he reached forward to the mini-bar and passed me a flute of champagne while my dad and Beth climbed inside the back of the limousine with us too.

"Driver!" My dad called to the front of the limousine, tapping the blackened glass.

A moment later the engine started and we pulled away from the house. Not that I could see anything as the windows were darkened so much I couldn't see outside.

"Happy thirtieth birthday Melly." Spencer said, reaching his champagne flute out to mine.

"Happy thirtieth birthday Mel." Beth, my dad and Jack echoed, all tipping their flutes to mine. Jack's was filled with orange juice but he still looked more-than-happy to be there.

The drive was a long one, and I was right about the restaurant being all the way across town. It was so long in fact that Jack managed to fall asleep in my arms, curled on my lap as Spencer held my hand in his, a massive smile spread across his face.

"Tell you what," Aaron said as the limo pulled to a stop. "Why don't the three of us head in," He said, gesturing quietly to himself, Beth and Spencer.

"And once you're alone with him you can wake him up gently," He whispered, nodding to Jack. "You know what he's like when he's woken up." He mumbled and I nodded my head; yep I knew that the hard way of course.

"Sounds like a good idea," I agreed, ambling and turning to Spencer to see him grinning at me already.

That grin reminded me of New Year; of the taste of champagne on Spencer's tongue; the sound of 'I love you' on his lips.

I blinked my eyes back from his own and turned to look at Jack still asleep on my lap as the three others climbed out of the limousine, closing the door behind them.

"Jackie boy," I sung, shaking my knee and gently rocking him in my arms. "Captain Jack Sparrow, time to wake up," I sung softly, pushing his hair out of his eyes and forcing him into a sitting position.

He groaned and moaned, shaking his head and wrapping his arms around my waist while gurning,

"No." In a super-sleepy voice.

"Hey c'mon now," I sighed. "Don't be like that, it's my birthday. C'mon, please? Wake up, just for me? We're here to get food," I said hopefully and his eyelashes fluttered on his cheeks, a small smile breaking across his face.

I chuckled and tickled his sides; hearing his hearty giggle and knowing I'd won.

"C'mon let's go," I said, straightening him on my lap as he rubbed at his eyes.

"You okay?" I asked him and he nodded his head. "You ready?" I asked and he nodded his head even more emphatically.

"Okay then, let's go."

He slid from my lap and passed me my purse, opening the door and jumping out, his small hand reaching inside the limo and pulling me out after him.

I laughed at the force behind his tug and righted myself on my feet, straightening my dress before closing the door behind me and taking his hand in mine again, looking up to the building before me and realising it was a massive - ultra familiar - house with loads of people in the front garden.

"Happy birthday Mel!" They all chanted, letting go of party poppers and horns; balloons and banners tacked to the front of Rossi's house.

"Oh my God," I gasped as Jack's excited laughter filled my ears while he jumped up and down on the spot excitedly. "Guys not again?!" I groaned and everybody laughed. There was more people here this time though, and this party was far more formal.

There were caterers and greeters by the door, and everyone was in fancy clothes. I felt like a Princess as everybody wished me a happy birthday and I was waited on hand and foot by the waiters who constantly made sure my champagne flute was full.

All I wanted was a quiet meal with my favourite people; and instead I got a fancy party with my entire family and then theirs.

It was magical.

*

"Before this gets too out-of-hand," My dad caught me as I walked through the kitchen. "I want to give you this now," He said, passing me a large brown envelope. I frowned at the official-looking object and slowly accepted it.

We were the only ones in the room bar the caterers, but the kitchen was large enough that they couldn't hear us from where we were standing by the patio doors.

"I want you to know that I've been thinking about it long and hard," He explained as I gently peeled back the seal. "I've discussed it with both Beth and Spencer, and the pair of them have really helped me make the decision." He said as I pulled out a bundle of forms.

I glanced down at the document and fresh tears sprung in my eyes as I read the words on the form and recognised the handwriting on the dotted lines.

"You want me to officially take your name?" I gasped, looking up to my dad with tearful eyes.

"Melanie, I've wanted you to take my name for months now." He admitted and I laughed out my sob, throwing my arms around his neck, laughing in disbelief.

Unfortunately this action made something fall from the envelope and clatter to the tiled flooring beneath our feet.

"Oh," I gasped, pulling back from my dad's arms and casting my eyes to the floor where a silver key lay between us; a large black satin bow attached to the end of it.

"What's that?" I asked in confusion, bending down and picking it up.

"Well that's not all I wanted to give you for your thirtieth birthday," He said with a bashful smile, nodding to the documents.

"In there you'll find a three-month letting contract for an apartment. It's for a new studio block a couple of miles from the house. It's closer to Spencer than it is to us, so it's incorporating the personal time you mentioned you'd like to have more of,"

I looked up from the documents and met his eyes emotionally.

"If you're serious about moving out then all you have to do is sign on the dotted line," He explained. "Beth and I have taken care of everything else."

"You're serious?" I asked and he nodded his head. "But... Why? Why would you do all of this?"

"It's your big birthday, Mel," He said with a broad smile. "I've missed out on too many birthdays, let alone too many big ones and special times," He sighed sadly and shook his head adamantly.

"No, I've missed out on almost twenty nine years of your life. I'm not missing out on anymore. You're my daughter and it's about time I provided for you."

"Dad, you don't have to do that, I'm an adult I can-"

"I know you can, Mel, I'm not saying you can't it's just... as your dad, I want to do the things I've never been around to do before..."

I looked up at him with tears sliding down my cheeks.

"Will you let me do that?" He said in a thick voice.

I threw my arms around him; how could I refuse my own father when he knew exactly what words I'd waited my whole life to hear?

The Doctor

"I'm sorry, if everyone could just settle down for a moment or two," Aaron's voice sounded through a microphone and I looked up from the conversation I was having with JJ and Henry to see Aaron stood under the gazebo where the Karaoke and dance floor were.

He had a champagne flute in one hand, the microphone in the other.

"I promise this won't take long," He claimed. "This is a party not meant for speeches," He said.

Now that everyone was calm and silent I was able to find Mel; the stunning woman in red at the mini-bar opposite Aaron with Jack by her side as usual, the growing boy with an arm around her waist, a loving smile on both of their faces as they watched their father before them.

"I know that for most fathers on their daughter's thirtieth birthday they'd be saying how to them it felt like it was only yesterday their daughter was born," Aaron continued emotionally, casting his eyes across the party-guests.

"But for me I don't have that privilege," He explained.

"Instead I get to say that it feels like yesterday Melanie came into my life; claiming to be my daughter and turning my whole life upside down," He smiled and I nodded at the memory, casting my eyes down into my empty champagne flute.

Frowning, I set it down on the table behind me and awkwardly slid my hands into the pockets on my suit pants while Aaron continued.

"But I wouldn't want to change that for the World," He said. "I cannot express how overwhelmed with gratitude I am that Melanie came into my life. To think of life without my daughter now completely baffles me and terrifies me. There's not a day goes by but I'm not thankful for having such a wonderful daughter.

"When Jack was born all I could think of was providing a younger sibling for him. I dreamt of him loving another sibling and eventually I grew very fond of the idea. And then Melanie entered our lives. She became the sister to Jack I'd always dreamt of, and the best friend he'd always wished for. To see their relationship grow and blossom is probably one of the most proudest achievements in my life.

"I am proud and I am thankful to stand up here and say that I have two wonderful children. Two children who make me proud to be their father; two children who each day tell me how much they love me and how much they love each other; two children who have not once took what they have for granted.

"Both Jack and Melanie know how lucky they are to have the family that they have; and that is why I am so incredibly proud of both of them.

"This time last month I didn't believe I was going to be here this evening, explaining to everyone how proud I am of my daughter. It is because of Melanie that I am alive today, and I'm not only talking about that specific event last month, but the many many times before that too, when she put her life in danger in order to save mine.

"So," He cleared his throat emotionally, looking down at his champagne flute before casting his eyes up to Melanie, raising his glass slightly.

"To Melanie; my incredibly beautiful, intelligent, strong, daughter. Happy birthday my darling." I blinked the tears out of my eyes and hurried to accept a fresh flute of champagne from the waiter beside where we stood.

"Happy birthday Melanie." Everyone cheered their glasses as Melanie blushed, hugging Jack closer to her as he cheered excitedly by her side.

I stared at her long enough while everyone drank from their glasses that by the time the music started up again she met my eyes across the back yard and I smiled so broadly I thought my jaw might crack.

It was then that I realised how deeply I was falling for Melanie Hotchner... in more ways than I ever thought was possible.

*

"When my father never held my hand, he had my back." ~ Linda Poindexter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 54.8K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
68.3K 1.3K 26
"Why did you make me fall in love with you when you're about to leave for a mission you may not even come back from?" I exclaim, my throat burning as...
240K 6.2K 33
Aria "Falcon" Blackwood, Daughter of Charlee Blackwood. Long lost daughter of Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, gets selected for TOPGUN. Following the foots...
202K 4.2K 28
"it's tommy and iris against the whole bloody world, right?" SEQUEL TO BROKEN TOY SOLDIER {pres1 - s1AU - s2 AU}