ALMOST UNFIXABLE.

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

"Sometimes, you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself, and... More

WELCOME!
ALMOST UNFIXABLE
CHARACTER AESTHETICS.
001 ‑ Hoodie Memories.
002 - Day Ones.
003 - The Jungle.
004 - Jidenna Leo Okojie
005 - Betrayal
006a ‑ Truth Part 1
006b - Truth Part 2
007 ‑ Out of Control.
008‑ No Control.
009 ‑ Broken Friendships and Daddy Issues.
011 ‑ Triggers.
012 ‑ Her Attraction.
013a ‑ Therapy and Tutorials Part 1.
013b‑ Therapy and Tutorials Part 2
014 ‑ What doesn't Kill You...
015 ‑ ...Makes You Stronger.
016 ‑ Nothing Special.
017a ‑ The Paragon Part 1
017b ‑ The Paragon Part 2
017c - The Paragon Part 3
018 - Pettiness 1.0
019 - Bitch, Be Humble.
020 - Screw All Doubts.
021 - Pettiness 2.0.
022 - Lies and Deceit.
023 - Go To Hell.
024 - Therapy Session.
025 - Make Other Friends.
026 - Are We Friends?
027a - I've Got Your Back Part 1
027b - I've Got Your Back Part 2
028 - Miserable and Empty.
029 - Imperfections.
030a - On a Date Part 1
030b - On a Date Part 2
030c - On a Date Part 3.
031 - Something More.
032 - Shutter Speed and Small Talks.
033 - E Shock You?
034 - Temper Tantrums and True Friendships
035 - Attractions and Revelations
036 - More Revelations...
037 - ...and More Attractions.
038 - The Best Version.
039 - Beyond Chemistry.
040a - Family Dinner Part 1.
040b - Family Dinner Part 2
041a - Reliving The Past
041b - Revealing The Past
041c - Repressing The Past
042 - Ghost
043 - Machiavellian.
044 - No Capping.
045 - Secrets
046 - Everything and More.
047a - A Lesson on Closure Part 1.
047b - A Lesson on Closure Part 2
048a - Once Bitten, Twice Shy Part 1
048b - Once Bitten, Twice Shy Part 2
049 - A Best Friend's Role
050 - Team Silary
051 - I feel Sexy.
052a - Who is Faking Part 1
052b - Who is Faking Part 2
053 - Sleep Over Frenzy
054 - I'm Okay... Not
CHARACTER AESTHETICS 2.
055 - I Fucked Up.
056- The Awakening
057a - A Lesson On Forgiveness Part 1
057b - A Lesson On Forgiveness Part 2
058 - Want.
059 - Obsession
060 - Promises
061a - Her... Part 1
061b - Her... Part 2
062a - Take A Step Part 1
062b - Take A Step Part 2
063 - Heartbreak
064 - In Your Arms
065a - The Inevitable Part 1
065b - The Inevitable Part 2
066a - The Enemy of My Soul Part 1.
066b - The Enemy of My Soul Part 2.
066c - The Enemy of My Soul Part 3.
067 - The Night of Indulgence.
068 - The Forever Seal.
069 - It's Going to be a Great Year.
070 - Air of Confidence.
071 - The Breaking Point.
072 - Breakfast?
073 - "Study Sessions" and Awkward Family Introductions.
074 - Reassurance and Less Awkward Family Introductions.

010 ‑ I Don't Belong.

1.6K 525 1.2K
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

(010 - I Don't Belong)

This Chapter is the longest chapter so far, but I'm hoping it will all be worth it because we are meeting our Male Anchor. Are you ready to meet Simisola André Jordan?🔥🔥

𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐋𝐀
(Simisola André Jordan)

Human beings are selfish, driven by fear of death and the hope for personal gain. All of us seek power whether we realize it or not. There are always people out there that would happily steal what is yours without thinking twice about it. You might argue, and say only some are selfish but no.

The Bible even says "The heart of man is desperately wicked. Who can know it?"

These weren't my words.

They were the words of James Hobbes in his book titled "Leviathan".

What can I say, I love reading books written by world-famous philosophers. It was somewhat hard to comprehend and assimilate but once I was "plugged in", I'd be able to get the entire gist.

That was why I was seated in my class, back leaned against my chair, soft music playing from my headphones into my ear, mind tuning out the rest of the world with my face buried in Leviathan.

I touched the tip of my tongue to the pad of my index finger, licking it softly before sweeping over to the next page of the book.

Page 35.

I started this book three days ago and I've gotten this far. It was a progress and I felt proud of myself. I have never been able to read past a particular page of my textbooks without getting a migraine. Maybe I was able to read this book because it was very relatable.

Crestview was a perfect example of Leviathan.

James Hobbes' school of thought on life and human being, in general, was closely related to how it was here at Crestview. I knew that bit as soon as I started reading and grasped the entire concept behind his school of thought. I've been here long enough to know that this place was a labyrinth... a maze that you had to complete whether you liked it or not.

According to Hobbes, Human beings are driven by the fear of death and hope for personal gain, all on the verge to seek power. At Crestview, the students are driven by the fear of not being counted as important, the fear of being insignificant. So, they go ahead and do things that would give them the significance and importance they wanted, not caring at what cost it came.

Most people, especially my now set mates did a lot of things, a lot of selfish things just to "matter".

Someone wanting to feel better about themselves by dragging another person down, destroying their own classmate's self-esteem. People spreading false information about the other, for cruise or gain favor in the eyes of other classmates. It was ironic how low these guys went, just to rise to a place of importance.

It was just like politics.

Everyone wanted to climb up to that hierarchy of relevance. How they didn't get exhausted by all the effort they made, baffled me.

I was able to gather all of that just by watching.

By being observant.

By listening and watching.

One thing I've learned in my years of being in this school was that you must always keep your eyes ahead but put your ears to the ground. I wasn't the most alert or attentive person when it came to schoolwork or listening during lessons, but I was pretty much attentive anywhere else.

Though entirely, I try to mind my business.

No one cared anyway.

I didn't matter to them and they didn't matter to me.

All I did was observe... and look away.

But what I didn't get was why I was so triggered when I overheard the discussion between Jidenna and one of the girls that walked with Hilary the other day, unintentionally finding out that the story going around about him and Hilary's breakup was false.

It finally made sense why she was crying in the empty classroom that day. It made perfect sense.

Why make so much effort to change a breakup story just to suit you? It was just a Breakup. It wasn't meant to be a big deal.

Instead, he instigated rumors against her, making things a whole lot messier.

He went through all that trouble, knowing the person he subjected to such ridicule was still hurting. She just lost her brother for heaven's sake. Even if Jidenna wanted to be a pussy about the entire situation and break up with her, he should have at least waited till after she recovered from the loss.

I felt really bad for her.

No one deserved to go through what she was going through. There is so much a person can take. It only shows that not everyone close to you can be trusted.

I just had to let him know that he was a Coward.

Only Cowards would act the way he did.

Someone knocked against my desk, bringing me out of my thoughts. Leviathan was still in my hand and it looked like I was reading the book whereas, my mind had drifted away.

Another knock hit against my desk and I looked up from my book to whoever was disturbing me. My eyes met two other pairs, Jidenna's and the guy he always walks with - I didn't care enough to remember his name. My brows automatically furrowed in a frown.

"Can I help you?" I asked, removing my headphones. I noticed the way everyone that was still in class stopped what they were doing to focus on us.

For God's sake...

"It's time for assembly." The other guy said, his expression hard while my brows furrowed as I looked between both of them

It's time for assembly. What should I do about that?

"So?"

The guy that had spoken to me first let out a short humorless chuckle, shaking his head at me. Jidenna sighed, leaning closer to me. His face still looked a bit bashed from Kizito's punch but it seemed to be healing up. I had not watched the fight, but I saw the video on the class group chat.

Not me being wicked, but Jidenna deserved it.

"Look," he started and I almost rolled my eyes. "I've allowed you to skip assembly since the beginning of the term. It's against the rules and regulations of the school. I can't keep compromising anymore." He stated matter-of-factly while I looked on, waiting for him to finish.

Okay, he has finished.

"I'm not going," I told them, and Jidenna looked surprised that I said that without flinching.

"But thanks for checking up on me though. I appreciate the gesture." I added with a faux grin, my eyes going back to my book. I heard the other guys laugh again then I felt his eyes on me.

"Guy, stand up." He legit growled at me and I almost laughed. His voice was pretty razz. "You know you are not above punishment bah? I can punish you if you don't answer us right now." He threatened and I put my book down again, leaning back to have a better look at him.

Who is this one trying to act tough to?

See this kid o.

"Be my guest." I simply replied with a shrug, fueling his annoyance even more. He looked at me incredulously, a glare on his face. I could hear Jidenna trying to tell him to calm down but he seemed like one that doesn't back down easily.

I honestly don't have time for this. I thought to myself, bringing my book back to my eye level to continue reading.

"Let's go," Jidenna told him, but he didn't move. Instead, he looked at the book on the table and hijacked it before I could even blink. I watched as he inspected it, a taunting smirk stretching over his lips.

"Why would someone like you be reading a book like this?" He started, glancing at Jidenna as he laughed, while I looked on, not saying anything back to him.

"It's way beyond your reasoning capability, guy. I doubt you can comprehend anything in this book." He finished, looking at me with a more sardonic smirk on his lips. I locked my jaw and clenched my fist, keeping my eyes on him.

His words hit me hard...

...and they hurt a lot, not gonna lie.

But will I show him that his words got to me? Not a chance.

"Can I have my book back now?" I simply asked, stretching my hand forward for him to hand my book over.

He looked surprised at my reaction, obviously expecting an outburst. Even Jidenna looked sorta surprised. Seeing that he wasn't going to get the reaction he wanted from me, he flung the book back on the table, almost throwing it off.

He's so lucky I'm not in a really bad mood this morning.

"What's going on?" A familiar voice came from behind the duo that stood in front of me. They cleared the way for her and I sighed, relaxing against my seat as she made her way towards us. It was then I realized that the class was now empty.

"He doesn't want to go for assembly," Jidenna answered her, folding his hands across his chest. Her eyes met mine when she got to us and I gave her a nonchalant shrug.

"You guys can leave. I'll take it from here." She told them.

The other guy frowned in disapproval, but Jidenna being smart enough to know what's up, tapped him and signaled for them to leave the class. The guy looked back at me and I held his gaze, expressionless face. He gave me a disdainful once-over before deciding to adhere to Jidenna, both of them leaving the class. When they had gone, she turned to me, pouting her lips.

She was trying to persuade me to go for assembly. It's not going to happen.

"I'm not going, Gloria," I told her straight up before she could even start speaking and she whined, moving closer to me.

"Come one, Simi. If any of those over sabi teachers decides to do their rounds and find you here, I will be in trouble." She pleaded.

"I honestly don't care, Gloria," I told her, picking up my book and brought it to my eye level just to show her that I didn't care. I heard a dramatic gasp and I looked at her again to see her pressing her hand to her chest, a faux pained look on her face.

"You hurt me. You have broken my soft, fragile heart, Simi." She mused, being her dramatic little self. I felt my lips twitch in a smile but I made sure to collect myself before she could notice.

If I wanted to go before, I wouldn't go again because of what that guy said to me.

"I'm not going because I don't want to." I started to tell her and she stopped her act to look at me. "The reason I'm not going is because you and I know I don't belong in assembly. Plus, that guy insulted me. I don't take disrespect very likely." I told her sternly and she sighed

"I'm sorry for Tekena's idiocy," She began, leaning against my table. "But stop using the excuse of I don't belong there to skip assembly, Simi."

I knew she didn't mean it to sound like that, but what she said struck a nerve. A very sensitive nerve. She seemed to have realized because of the silence that followed her statement and the look I gave her. She exhaled.

"Simi..."

"It's not an excuse and you know that," I said, my eyes trained on her and she nodded slowly, understandingly. "I don't belong there, or here. This isn't supposed to be my class. I'm not supposed to be in this school anymore. So, I'd rather be in here, with my face buried in Leviathan than in that hall full of people, looking at me like I'm shit. I already feel like shit." I rapped out in one breath.

A silence ensured after, with the only sound in the room my heavy breathing.

"I'm sorry," She whispered but I shook my head.

"It's not your fault," I whispered back. It's mine for being so dumb.

This has been going on for as long as I remember.

Up until SS1, the school has been promoting me on a probationary basis. I guess it was courtesy of my father being one of the board members and a heavy guarantor to the school. My junior WAEC and NECO was nothing to write home about but then, there was nothing anyone could do about it.

When I got to SS1, the school couldn't help me anymore because the senior class was very delicate. I didn't pass my SS1 exams, so I got retained, meeting the set after mine in that class. I strived and tried to in the next exams and I was promoted to SS2 on probation. I was glad because at least I earned this one, which meant I got a bit better.

But SS2, things became even more difficult for me to assimilate. I could hardly read without getting a migraine. Words looked like shapes in my eyes and I couldn't concentrate while reading for a long time. Not that I got distracted but I just couldn't comprehend anything. Everything went downhill, not to mention, me being the object of ridicule for teachers and students alike, every single time in and outside class.

It took a toll on my mental health. So I was retained again, this particular set meeting me in SS2.

Thank God, I met Gloria, or rather, she seemed to take a special interest in me. She and our Civic Education teacher, Miss Aloma - who already left the school. Gloria was able to take me in some core subjects like Maths, English, Biology. She was in the commercial class so our subjects were different. Miss Aloma gave me extra lessons on Civics.

Exams came, I tried to put in my best, coupled with the extra coaching.

Results came out and I was promoted. I didn't do well, at least not by the standards of the school but I had improved compared to previous years, that was what the Principal told my parents. So, I was good enough to be promoted.

That still didn't diminish the fact that my mates were ahead of me already. They'll always be ahead of me.

"Let's go for assembly, Simi," Gloria suggested again and I looked at her, eyebrows raised. "They will be talking about the Paragon. It will help get your mind off things." She explained and I suddenly felt light-headed.

The Paragon meant sports, and sports mean there might likely not be classes and I'd have to spend my entire day by the pool. I wouldn't want it any other way at all.

"Okay," I answered, keeping headphones and my book inside my locker before I stood up and followed her out.

The class area was pretty much already deserted so we made our way to the assembly auditorium. I felt Gloria move closer to me, bringing her hands to loop around mine and I turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Just in case you think of running away." She answered my unasked question and I gasped, bringing my other hand to my chest to imitate her earlier act of disappointment and hurt.

"You don't rate me at all," I told her with a pout and she pokered up her lips in response, blowing me a kiss while I threw her a mock look of disgust which she chuckled to.

Gloria was a very fascinating human being. Meeting her for the first time, you'd have concluded in your mind that she was one of those proud, stuck-up bitches that always feel entitled to things they were not entitled to. She commanded so much attention and respect just by the way she walked and talked. And then her confidence level was the size of a skyscraper.

That's why till today, I'm still wondering what she saw in me that made her want to be my friend. Out of everyone in the entire school, it was me, probably the dullest person in the whole school that she saw to be friends with.

At first, I was wary around her, mainly because I don't trust people easily, and again, I was wondering why she'd risk jeopardizing her reputation just to be friends with me. It was so far-fetched but as time went on, I got comfortable around her, and she also got comfortable around me.

She was completely herself with me, not uptight like she was with everyone else. I was probably the only person in Crestview that has seen a chirpy, carefree side of Gloria Hadiza Esho.

It was one of the numerous mysteries of the universe, trust me.

Together, we got out of senior and walked towards the assembly hall. We passed the back so that we won't attract any attention and got in just about the time the Principal was mounting the podium. Gloria pulled me along to stand with her but I felt really out of place because that was where all the prefects were standing. Still, I tried to maintain a calm composure.

"Good Morning Everyone." Principal Isaac called out.

"Good Morning Sir," Everyone answered.

"Not to waste any more time because our time is fast spent," He started, taking a glance at his wristwatch before looking back at the student body. He took a breath before he continued.

"This is about The Paragon that is coming up next week Friday. I have had a discussion with the teachers, the prefects, and the sports Masters and we have outlined a timetable on how the practice would go in a way that your schoolwork won't be affected. The Head Sports master would come and address you now." He concluded, beckoning to the sports masters to climb the podium.

Mr. Adeyemi, also known by everyone as Big Guy, was the Head Sports Master of Crestview. He was a young man, yet very huge man, hence the name Big Guy and was the coach for the American Football Team. Rumour has it that he was on one of the biggest American Football teams in the US before he blew his knee during a match. An unfortunate accident that supposedly ended his career.

I haven't had a one-on-one conversation with him before but I have seen the way he related with his team. He seemed like a very chill man. All the sports masters in this school were chill people, maybe because they were still young.

"Good Day Everyone," He began, a deep voice booming through the hall. "Without wasting any more time, I'd be reading and briefly explaining how the timetable works." He said, then cleared his throat.

"Beginning from Tomorrow - Friday, we'd be starting our practice for The Paragon. As we all know, The Paragon is just a game of three sports; American Football, Basketball, and Swimming so those are the sports that would be participating in The Paragon. Only senior students can try out for the teams."

"That's how they have made athletes useless in this school." Gloria subtly lamented beside me and I chuckled at her exaggeration.

The athletes were not useless. The only sporting event they didn't participate in was The Paragon. Every other inter-school sports competition, they participated. Gloria was only pained because she was a track athlete and The Paragon was the biggest sporting event of the year, the only one she couldn't participate in.

The girl was competition in human form.

"You better be calming down." I nudged her gently and she rolled her eyes at me mumbling incoherent words to herself. I chuckled again and looked back at the podium to catch the rest of what Big Guy was saying.

"Friday is our official sports day in this school, so there would be no classes tomorrow and everyone is expected to be in their sport wears." Murmurs and chirps of excitement, especially from the junior class filled the hall. Big Guy rose his hand to quiet down the noise before he continued.

"But from next week Monday to Thursday, you'll be having your usual classes then after school, everyone participating in The Paragon will stay back for a two-hour practice. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir," Everyone chorused.

"That is all," Big Guy looked at the Principal who gave him a go-ahead to dismiss the assembly. "You can all go to your classes. Orchestra." They began to play and the assembly began to dismiss, class by class. I stayed beside Gloria.

"So, are you going to involve yourself in The Paragon?" She asked me and I turned to her.

"Of course. Why won't I involve myself?" I asked her, folding my hand across my chest.

"Because your Dad said you should stop all forms of extracurriculars. That's what you told me, right?" My mood dampened immediately she reminded me of what my Dad had told me at the beginning of the session.

"...You are not to participate in any sports until there is an improvement in your academics, Simi and that is final! Swimming will not add anything to your future. The earlier you get that into your head, the better for you!"

"Don't remind me," I mumbled, already in a very bad mood. Gloria got the gist and didn't say anything else about it.

"Let's go to class then." She said instead and I nodded.

She began to walk and I made to follow her behind, stopping short when someone bumped into me from behind, forcefully pushing me forward. I almost missed my step and fell but I quickly steadied myself before any of that could happen. On a good day, I would have ignored. But it wasn't a good day.

Hissing, I turned around to snap at whoever it was.

"I'm so sorry."

"Are you m..."

We chorused at the same time but my words hung in the air when I realized who it was

Hilary.

"I'm so sorry," she apologized again. Everything about her gesture and movement told me it wasn't intentional. There was no way she could have bumped into me intentionally.

"It's fine." I quickly said. Noticing the way she looked unsure, I shook my head and repeated. "It's all good, don't worry."

"Simi!" Gloria's voice called out and I looked at her. When I looked back, Hilary had already gone from where she was standing in front of me, now with her friends.

That was fast. I thought, before walking over to where Gloria was standing.

"Is everything okay?" Gloria asked again and I nodded my head.

"Nothing serious. She bumped into me and was apologizing." I told her and she nodded.

"Oh okay. Let's go." She nudged me, walking towards the door while I followed behind.

Like my eyes had minds of their own, I looked back at where Hilary was standing with her friends. The other two were talking animatedly and laughing. But Hilary, even though she tried to radiate the same energy they did, I was able to see that she was still quite unhappy. It was written all over her.

But then again, it was no business of mine.

So, I looked away and left the hall.

Immediately the bell went off for the close of school, I packed my bag and walked out of class. It was yet another uneventful day of not learning anything. Thankfully, no teacher called me to answer any question today or made me feel like a fool in front of the entire class.

I walked past the classes, watching the students from the other science class and the other disciplines come out from their classrooms, some clustering in groups because they weren't ready to go home yet. Gloria told me she had to be in the Principal's office, so I shouldn't wait for her. I even had an appointment of my own with one of the sports masters, the coach of the Swim Team.

As I maneuvered my way through the cluster of students in the hallway, I heard a group of girls talking and giggling. At first, I thought they were mocking me, but when I heard what they were talking about, I was a little surprised even though I knew I shouldn't.

"Gosh, is that an iPhone eleven pro max!" One of the girls exclaimed. The one in the middle, holding the phone giggled like she was high on something, twirling the phone in her hand, obviously showing it off to her group of friends.

"Well, dhuur..." She drawled in a fake American accent. "My Dad got it from the United States. It's a brand new one, not the fairly used nonsense y'all use." She was indirectly insulting her friends and those ones were still smiling like fools.

"Med oo!" Another one exclaimed. "Affiong, you should keep the phone sha. You know all dem bad belles, they have started eyeing your phone." The girl added, looking at the phone with greedy eyes.

She's probably the one that's going to steal the phone. I thought to myself with a short laugh.

"Of course na. Why do you think I brought it out during the closing time. I just wanted to show you guys, as per y'all are my G's." The Affiong girl chirped and they all giggled again.

Or you just wanted to show off. I thought, rolled my eyes, and continued walking.

I mean, what's with these guys and wanting to flaunt everything they had... low-key trying to compete for who was richer than who? This is what my mum would call "majoring on the minor and minoring on the major". Putting so much relevance to irrelevant things.

Misplaced priorities.

But, this is High School.

What's High School without misguided teenagers with misplaced priorities?

I made my way out of the school building and towards the school's sports complex. Yes, our school had a sports complex, an Olympics standard sports complex. It consisted of the general soccer pitch and around the pitch was the track. We also had an indoor basketball court and swimming pool. At another area of the Sports complex was the volleyball and lawn tennis court.

It being the biggest sport in the school, American Football was in an entirely different place. There was a smaller stadium, just beside the Sport complex built just for the sport. Talk about special treatment. Truth be told though, that game needed its own space, especially for competitions like The Paragon.

On getting to the Sport complex, I made my way to where the indoor pool was. Just as I was about to go in, the sports master came out, almost bumping into me.

"Ohhh, Simi. It's you." He said when he noticed that I was the one standing in front of him. I nodded, adjusting my bag strap on my shoulder.

"You called for me, Uncle Danny," I stated and he nodded.

"I did..." He drawled, looking quite nervous and uncomfortable and that made me confused.

Uncle Danny, apart from Miss Aloma, was another teacher that I was close to. During break times, if Gloria was too busy, I would be in his office, laying low and he understood. We were pretty tight, so I didn't understand why he was suddenly uncomfortable. It only meant whatever he called me for wasn't pleasant.

"The Principal called me to his office today," He started and I nodded, wondering where this was going. "He said I should ban you from participating in The Paragon or any other general sporting event." He revealed and I frowned, very much shocked.

What in the...

"What! Why?" I questioned and Uncle Danny sighed, massaging his temple.

"The order came from your Father, Simi." He said and a scoff escaped my lips.

Of course, he was the one that gave the order.

"Simi, there is nothing the Principal can do about it. There is nothing I can do about it too. The only person that can solve this situation is you. You have to talk to your father because we need you for the Paragon." Uncle Danny told me and I nodded.

"It's harder than you think but I'll try," I told him and he sighed, nodding too.

How did the man even know about the Paragon? All he does is donate things to school and sign bills.

Engineer Demilade Jordan was pro academic. He believed that the only way for a person to succeed was to go to school. He downgraded all forms of extracurricular - sports and trade alike as just extracurriculars. Nothing more, nothing less. To him, they didn't serve any importance to a child's future.

If he was going to show up for the big games, it was just for frivolity purposes. He wouldn't even spend up to ten minutes on the high table before he'd leave. All he knew was that I was part of the swim team and that I enjoyed it. He has never shown up for any of my competitions, only Mum does. He has always seen them as a distraction to my academics, blamed my constant failure on it.

If only he knew that they were the only thing keeping me sane.

Swimming was my life.

Till I got home, I kept thinking of ways to appease him, to change his mind. If we had to reach some sort of compromise for that to be achieved, then so be it. I wasn't going to allow him to stop me from swimming. It was the only thing I was extremely good at. He wasn't just going to take it away.

The driver drove into the compound and I was glad when I saw my Dad's car parked as well. I didn't even wait for the car to be parked well before I dashed out and raced into the house. Immediately I opened the door, I caught the laughter of my parents coming from the kitchen and quickly found my way there.

"Dad..." I called as soon as I stepped in and they both stopped laughing, turning to face me. Dad's face contorted into a frown as soon as he sighted me and I knew he knew why I had called him.

"We are not discussing this again." He dismissed me immediately, walking past me and out of the kitchen. Mum looked confused, looking between me and her husband. That only meant he didn't carry her along when he made the decision.

And whenever he did that, she didn't like it at all.

"Help me..." I whispered to her and she gestured for me to calm down before leaving the kitchen as well, trying to catch up to my Dad while I followed behind her.

"What's going on, Demilade?" She asked Dad, who was now seated on one of the sofas, crossing his leg and controlling the TV with the remote like nothing happened. Mum doesn't call him by his first name unless it was serious. So, I knew she was about to gain control over the situation, which meant I might get what I want.

At a price though.

"Demilade, I'm talking to you!" Mum snapped and I saw my Dad visibly jerk on the seat. He sighed and stood up to face us.

"My son and I have discussed already. There is nothing to talk about again." He said conclusively. Mum stood, hands akimbo, and peered at Dad with Lazer eyes even though she had to legit look up to him because of her tiny frame compared to his six feet seven frame.

"First of all, he is Our son," Mum began and Dad sighed again. "Second of all, discussed what? What did the both of you discuss without me? Why wasn't I in the discussion or decision making?" She questioned, and I felt it was the right time for me to butt in.

"Dad wants me to quit swimming. He even..." All the words hung in my throat when Dad shot me a blazing glare and I inaudibly gulped, automatically shutting my mouth up. Mum looked at Dad incredulously.

"You want him to quit swimming?" She asked, her voice low in a whisper.

"It's for his own good, baby." He answered and I sighed. "He isn't getting any better academically..." A jab went through my chest when I heard my own Father say that about me.

But it was the bitter truth anyway.

"Don't say that about your son, Demilade," Mum told him but Dad wasn't done at all.

"But it's the truth." He countered and I felt my chest contract with so many emotions, rushing through me like a tidal wave.

"Do you want to keep lying to him? You keep babying him, allowing him to while away time in the pool when he is supposed to focus on his academics and put more effort into getting better!" Dad snapped, jabbing his finger at me and even though he didn't touch me, I veered back on impulse. Mum didn't say anything but I knew Dad wasn't done.

"Are you happy that he is where he is now? Are you happy that his mates are in their second year in University while he is still struggling to graduate high school? If you are happy, then I am not happy. I took that decision for his own sake! I won't let my first and only son waste away his life on swimming." The way he said swimming, with his face scrunched up with disgust and pure irritation dripping from his tone.

The fact that he'll always keep reminding me that wasn't where I was supposed to be had me almost hitting the wall in anger. I hated the constant reminder that my mates are now ahead of me. But then, I was at his mercy.

He is my father after all.

And no matter the perspective I look at this situation from, he was right. Mum still wasn't speaking because she also knew he was right.

But I'm not going to stop swimming.

So I did the only thing I knew I could do. I went down on my knees and begged.

"Dad, please..." I begged, on my knees with my hands clasped together. "Swimming means a lot to me. You can't just take it away like that, please..."

"I can and I will." He stated affirmatively, walking back to the kitchen. I looked at mum who told me to calm down again and followed him. I stood up from the floor and went close to the kitchen, to hear what she was going to tell him.

"Demilade, don't be so rash." Mum started.

"Babe, I'm not being rash and you know it. Simi is no longer a kid. He needs a wake-up call."

"I know, and I accept. But not this way!" Mum countered and I heard Dad sigh. "If you have ever been to any of his competitions, you'll know how much swimming means to him. You can't just decide to shut that aspect of his life up. Yes, I am not happy that he is where he is but I won't remind him constantly about something that he already knows.-

He is trying his best and you know it, Demi. It's not just easy. But we can do this another way, instead of you trying to take away the one thing he is good at. Haven't you seen his gold medals... his trophies? There has to be another way." Mum was trying to reason with him and I really hoped it'd work.

Please let it work.

"It still doesn't diminish the fact that it is irrelevant. Will swimming take him anywhere in life? Will he get into a good university with the gold medals? Ifetoyosi is making good where she is outside the country, why would I let Simi be a nuisance here? Be reasonable naw." My heart clenched again when I heard that.

The comparison with my elder sister.

It just never stops.

"Okay, let's come to a compromise... an agreement," Mum suggested and my brows furrowed in a slight frown.

An agreement?

What kind of agreement will that be?

I heard Dad sigh before asking, "What do suggest?" and from that moment, I didn't hear them again because they were talking in hushed tones. In the space of a few minutes, I heard their footsteps moving towards me before Dad came to my view, a conflicted look on his face.

"I'm not happy, Simi." He told me, his expression and his tone hard and firm. "I honestly don't want you to do any more extracurriculars because they are a distraction to you." He added and I looked at Mum who mouthed to me that I should relax.

"But your mum and I came to a sort of compromise."

I hope this compromise is something I can handle.

"You'll participate in the Paragon." He said, his tone unimpressed. But that didn't stop my face lighting up immediately I heard that news, my mouth hanging open.

I can participate in the Paragon?

Just like that?!

I went back on my knees

"Thank you so..." I began to show my gratitude but his voice stopped me from continuing.

"Don't thank me yet. There is a catch." He stated abruptly and I braced myself for what I was going to hear.

"When your continuous assessments result comes out, I must see an average performance and nothing less."

Alarm bells went off in my head.

"Average?" I asked incredulously, looking between my parents.

"Nothing less. If not, it's bye-bye swimming for good." He concluded, turned on his heels, and walked away from the living room, making his way up the stairs.

I stared at his retreating figure, my mind already occupied to the brim. The compromise was very much absurd because the midterm test was two weeks after the Paragon, which means I had only two weeks to go from dum... not average, to average. That wasn't remotely possible.

How was I go to do that, all on my own?

"Mum..." I mumbled when she came closer to me, shaking my head slowly. "It's impossible."

I told her and she shushed me immediately, holding my hands in hers. It was then I noticed that her veins popped out more prominently from her fair skin and she looked a bit slimmer. But before I could dwell on it, she spoke, drawing my gaze back to her face.

"Have I ever thought you not to have faith?" She asked me in a whisper, her ever radiant smile playing at the corners of her lips. Her smile was so contagious that even with the kind of situation I was in, I felt my lips quirk slightly in a smile.

Doctor Kendra Jordan with a radiant smile. She was known for her smile everywhere. Probably because she was a dentist.

"My baby..." She cooed softly, bringing her hands to cup my face as she looked directly into my eyes, soft gaze holding mine. "Nothing is impossible." She whispered and I found myself nodded as her words had hypnotized me.

Even though, deep down, I didn't believe her.

𝐀/𝐍

Simi Baby 🥺. I really hope he can actually get to average. But then, it's not him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy (Romans 9: 16)

I decided to use Simi's POV to show that there is a huge difference between being book smart and being naturally smart. And you can tell by Simi's thoughts and the way he speaks that he is actually very smart, probably one of the top three smartest people in this book.

Then, what's wrong with him academically? If you have theories, you can drop them in the inline comments.

From here on now, Simi will be appearing very very often. Before, he was pretty scarce, but now, you'll see him a lot and I'm sure you are very excited about that.

The next update will be dropping later this week. I'm not sure when, but it's this week sha. Things are definitely going to get interesting from here on now. Don't forget to VOTE! COMMENT!! SHARE!!!

Kisses.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 853 63
Feelings between two people always start to grow. It's a natural phenomenon. You can't stop it. There will be things standing in their way. All they...
84.5K 13.3K 52
" Idara it's not like that , let me explain . " He said begging her again but she had made up her mind. "Look everything and everyone is saying it's...
4.6K 681 58
An internal voice told me to "call him," but I chose not to. I dismissed it once more, saying, "He never liked me anyway." I am stuck in my dilemma...
312K 32.5K 181
Special mention in #Wattpad love awards Most impressive rankings #1 in Together-11/06/2022 #2 in Emotional-13/11/2021 #3 in Emotional-15/11/2021 #3 i...