FROM EDEN | Mattheo Riddle

Av cerealmilkz

"There's something tragic about you, something so magic about you. Don't you agree?" Violet Lestrange was not... Mer

Author's note
I. Intro
II. Parchment
iii. Letter by the Water
iv. Betrothal
v. Little Flower
vi. liquid luck
vii. Quidditch Tryouts
viii. Minty Trouble
Viii. Bad Omen
IX. Green and Silver
X. Compensation
XI. Private Lessons
XII. Invitation
XIII. Dancing With The Devil
XIV. Downtown
Update! Please read me :)
XVI. Home
XVII. The Great Lake
XVIII. Step Two
XIX. Angels and Devils
XX. Afterglow

XV. Lilacs & Violets

6.4K 172 220
Av cerealmilkz

White. All Violet could see from where she sat was white. The snowflakes falling outside resembled the pearls on her mother's neck, and it seemed to continuously fall and fall until it formed a white ocean that surrounded their manor.

She sighed, her breath forming a fog on their windowpane. It was a busy day today and a weird one too. This morning, her father suggested celebrating Christmas Eve, such a rare request that the rest of the family stared at the old man as if he grew two more heads a la Cerberus. Although, that could be possible since he acted like a lapdog to Voldemort anyway.

Father requesting a family reunion is not good news, and that could only mean two things. One, he's disappointed in one of his children, and he'll be using this little dinner to ask them a favor as compensation. Two, he's proud of one of his children, and he'll be using this little dinner to ask them a favor as a "reward."

And she knew exactly what that favor would be.

"Violet, there you are!" Rabastan huffed, entering their drawing room hurriedly. He looked like a mess. His hair was ruffled, his tie loosely hanging on his neck like a noose, and his dress shirt buttoned haphazardly.

"Yes, I am here, Rabastan." She deadpanned, closing the forgotten book on her lap as she leaned on the headrest of the couch.

One, two, three....

"Well, don't just look at me! Which suit is nicer? The green one or the purple one?" He asked, shoving two velvet suits in her face, modeling each one like the narcissist that he is. For a moment, he resembled Pansy.

"Salazar," she whispered under her breath, used to his antics, "Uhm, the green one?"

He scoffed while rolling his eyes, clearly not pleased with her answer, "How predictable! I'm surprised Mattheo isn't bored of you yet."

"H-hey!" She spluttered, sitting up a bit too stiffly to go unnoticed. Her little rendezvous with the raven-haired boy resurfacing from the depths of her brain and flooding her cheeks an embarrassing color of pink.

"Well, well, well. Would you look at that, Virgin Mary finally getting some action. Congratulations!" Rabastan mocked, giving a firm slap on her shoulder. "I'm proud of you, my dear sister." He peered down at her, his grin stretching like a Cheshire Cat.

At this point, she was sure her whole face resembled the lobster on their dinner table. She shoved his hand away, "We didn't—and I'm not a Vi—"

"Hush hush, little sister, I don't want to hear those details." He grimaced, chucking the green suit to her face. "Oh, and I'm wearing the purple one." And with that, he was walking away, leaving her to drown in embarrassment.

Fuck. Thank Dumbledore for Christmas Break. How could she show her face to Mattheo after what had happened. Just the mere thought of it made her cringe, "It was a moment of weakness, yes, yes, a moment of weakness and pure idiocy." She mumbled to herself. And how dare he speak of me like property! "I don't like sharing? Am I supposed to swoon over that?" Stupid boy with that stupid curly hair and stupid fucking face!

A face that was in between your legs the last time you saw each other. "Fuck". Yes, you two were close to fucking—"SHUT UP!"

"I didn't say anything?"

"Rabastan, get the fuck—Oh Merlin."

She was 10 seconds away from grabbing her wand and pointing it to her neck.

"What on earth are you doing here?" She asked, her head falling against the soft cushion. The fight and confidence leaving her body as she exhaled dramatically.

"Your father invited me."

"Of course he did." She mumbled, refusing to meet his eyes.

"I take it you're not happy to see me?" He questioned, a tinge of hurt in his voice.

"I wouldn't say not happy, more like....distressed."

"Uhuh," Mattheo approached her cautiously, a crinkling sound catching her ear, yet she refused to look at it or him as much as possible. He stood tall in front of her, the scent of his cologne rivaling the smoke from the fireplace. It made her head dizzy. Violet swallowed thickly, and she could feel his piercing gaze on her face.

"Look at me," he asked so softly. It was a mere whisper.

"No, thanks. I'm quite enjoying this lovely view of the snow." Violet gestured outside. She was straining her neck so hard to avoid looking at him, she was sure it would snap if she turned a bit more.

"I got you something."

"Mhm, that's cute. You can leave it on the table."

He continued staring at her to see if she'd give in but alas, the girl was set on avoiding his eyes. And he knows how stubborn and petty Violet can be. With a sigh, he set the object down on the table. "I know you're allergic to flowers, so I got you this instead. I'll see you at supper, Violet."

Violet waited until she heard the door click and let out the breath she didn't even realize she was holding. That was strange. No teasing remarks from him today. Huh. Her eyes fell on the foreign object on the table. Wrapped in decorative paper was a glass dome, wherein a cluster of lilac flowers was enclosed. The light purple petals seemed to be enchanted to endlessly fall without harming the flower itself. It was beautiful.

Supper was an absolute disaster. The apparent tension between her and Mattheo was so palpable, Rabastan was struggling to keep his laughter to himself. Their mother had to wack him to at least show some semblance of decorum. Her father had even asked if she had done something to upset the son of the Dark Lord. Thankfully, he politely denied it and managed to steer the conversation away from her and towards whatever Death Eaters talk about. And that, unfortunately, led to what this whole supper was all about.

"Violet, my dear," her father crooned. "I remember when you were a baby," Oh, Merlin, and so it begins. A few ticks from the clock's hour hand and several glasses of wine later, her father was already sniffling, "Now, you're a fine young lady like your mother....."

She watched the other guests around the table. Her mother gently urged her father to continue, wiping a few stray tears from her eyes with a napkin. Beside her was Rabastan, in a cycle of folding then unfolding his own napkin on the table. Across him was Rodolphus, staring at a particular patch of stain on the tablecloth. Beside him was his wife, Bellatrix, who seemed to have fallen asleep at some point, her head swaying back and forth. Mattheo appeared to be the only one listening to her father. Either he was genuinely interested, or he was exceptionally good at faking it.

"And so, now, I think it's time for you to truly be part of the fold." So, here it is, "The Dark Lord seems to be fond of you, and given your relationship with Mattheo, he thinks it would be best for you to join us."

Despite expecting it, a shiver went down her spine. He was asking her to become a Death Eater. One of them.

At this, her bothers perked up, Rodolphus discreetly nudging Bella to awaken.

"Father," Rabastan interjected before she could reply. "I think Violet isn't ready, she's too young!" Worry flashed across his features, the first time she witnessed that expression on her brother's face.

"Nonsense, Rabastan! We joined at her age, I think she'll manage. If the Dark Lord deems it necessary, then so be it." Rodolphus countered, sending his brother a pointed look.

"I think it's an honor. You should be pleased with yourself, girl." Bella's sing-song voice came, twirling the steak knife between her fingers. "You don't want to deny the Dark Lord now, do you?" 

Stubbornness and pettiness aside, she turned to face Mattheo, yet it was his turn to look away. His eyes settling at the snow outside the window, his posture as stiff as the chair behind him.

She turned to look at her father's pleading eyes, "As Aunt Bella said, it would be an honor. I will not disgrace our name, Father..." Violet said in a practiced voice, watching the tension fall from her parent's shoulders.

For the first time since the gala, she met Mattheo's eyes. Surprise washing over his handsome face before his usual stoicism settled in.

"Very well, I'll inform the Dark Lord." Her father gave a resolute nod, "We are so proud of you, my darling." He stood up from his chair and made his way to hers, leaning down to peck her cheeks fondly. Her mother followed, "You better not disappoint," she harshly whispered to her.

"I think we should call it a night," Reinhard lightly swayed, chuckling heartily as he clutched his wife for support. "Mattheo, thank you for coming," he said, reaching out a hand to his esteemed guest.

Mattheo gracefully stood up and politely clasped her father's hand, "it was my pleasure, sir."

"Oh please, just call me father!" He winked, yelling, "Merry Christmas, everyone!" as he departed the dining room. Rabastan, Rodolphus, and Bellatrix were quick to say their goodbyes and flee to their chambers, leaving her alone with the boy once more.

She sighed, "come on, I'll walk you outside."

The walk across their garden was surprisingly peaceful, her companion taking in the sights of the various flowers that spread throughout the greenery like confetti. Meanwhile, Violet was trying her best to not sneeze. As pretty as they are, she was allergic to them, unfortunately.

She suddenly felt a warm gaze on her face, "what are you staring at?" She raised a brow.

A soft chuckle escaped his lips, "I just find it ironic you're allergic to flowers when you're named after one."

"Ah yes, mother is quite the comedian." She grinned, "a real clown, that one."

"You two aren't close?"

"Does it look like we are?" She scoffed, kicking a stray rock in their path.

"I've never met my mother," he admits, and she recalled the conversation they had before. "Or, I think I haven't. I don't know, I can't remember her at all," he frowned.

"Would you like to then?" She asked, curious to know what his answer would be.

Mattheo hesitated for a while, burying his nose closer to his scarf as he pondered over the question. "No."

"Why not?"

"I fear it wouldn't end well. And if she were alive, what else would I say to her?"

"You never asked your father about it?" The question left her mouth before she could even think about it, and she saw Mattheo wince at her query.

"Once."

She raised a brow, urging him to continue.

"He got angry at me. I didn't dare ask him anymore after that." His voice goes soft, with a hint of rare vulnerability.

They reach the end of the gardens, where a bubbling fountain is situated in front of their gate. "Here," Violet fished for sickles in her coat pocket, handing one to Mattheo. He looked innocently confused, "I appreciate the sentiment, but I can just apparate home."

"It's not for that idiot. You make a wish. It's something muggles do when they see a fountain of some sort," she explained. "Silly tradition but interesting nonetheless. Although I have no idea if it does work."

Instead of disdain, she saw curiosity and amusement in his brown eyes. "Guess we'll find out."

"I'll show you how," she held the sickle between her thumb and fingers, closing her eyes as she repeated the wish in her mind before flicking the coin. "Your turn," she encouraged the boy with a childlike grin.

Mattheo repeated her actions, but he failed at flicking the coin. Instead, it slipped through his fingers and into the fountain with a pathetic plop.

A burst of laughter left her mouth, "I should've taken a picture. You looked so disappointed!"

"Ha ha ha, very funny," he rolled his eyes, though Violet can see a smile forming on his lips. "What did you wish for?" He asked.

"I don't wish and tell, darling" she wiggled her brows, earning a laugh from him. "Wait, stay here. I have something for you."

Before he could reply, she apparated to her room to retrieve it and appeared before him again. "Hello again"

"Here," she said, chucking the potted plant to his hands while sneezing.

He raised a delicate brow, amused at her gift, "did you just steal this from your garden?"

"Yes, I did." She didn't even bother lying, "it's literally me! A potted violet plant. So you can have a piece of me right at the very comfort of your own manor." She grinned cheekily. "And you don't even have to water it! It will stay like that as long as I'm here. I know, I'm a genius."

"Thank you." Mattheo said genuinely, "I'll keep this with me, Violet." He looked at her adoringly, his fingers itching to push the stray strands of hair away from her pretty face.

"I better go. I'll see you at Hogwarts, Mattheo." She beamed at him, and he faltered like a flittering moth through the evening light.

She stuffed her hands in her pockets and turned back towards the manor. Just as Mattheo was about to pull his wand from his coat, she whipped around, "wait, one more thing."

She strode towards him, pulling his coat to kiss him on the lips. He sharply inhaled, his free hand coming up to cup her cheeks, deepening the kiss as he breathed her in. Violet pulled away with a gasp, a ghost of a smile dancing on her mouth.

"Merry Christmas, Mattheo. Thank you for the gift." She whispered before affectionately pecking his lips. Then she was gone.

At that moment, a swarm of butterflies came alive inside Mattheo's stomach. His heart was beating so hard Durmstrang could probably hear it. What the fuck is wrong with me? He briefly wondered if Violet had slipped a love potion in his wine. He feels confused, strange, and even upset about the foreign feelings she can pull from him. And most of all, he was terrified. He couldn't place the particular emotion he seems to be feeling whenever she's around. And what he doesn't know, he can't control.

Mattheo frowned, staring at the potted plant in his arms, that warm buzz bubbling inside him once again. He gripped his wand tightly, disapparating from the Lestrange Manor.

Violet watched Mattheo behind the curtains of their windowpane, noticing the poor boy frowning at the potted plant before disappearing into thin air. As soon as he was gone, she hurried quietly to her room, casting several spells and enchantments to ensure no one could hear anything beyond her door. She waited patiently by her fireplace, and moments later, a face formed through the red fire.

"I assume everything went according to plan?"

"Yes, as expected, they asked me to be part of their fold."

"And you accepted?"

"Of course," she scoffed, "I said it would be an honor."

"Excellent. And the boy?"

"Going according to plan," she reiterated, "Frankly, I expected more from Tom Riddle's son. How disappointing."

"Don't get too confident," he reminded her, "remember what we talked about and stick to the plan."

"I will. Does she know?"

"Yes, I already informed her. Don't fret about it. You know what's going to happen next. You'll be our eyes and ears. Do everything you can to earn their trust. You may have fooled your family, but Tom is smart, and he'll see right through you. I'll have Severus train you in occulemency to avoid suspicion."

"Of course....Dumbledore. I won't fail you."

The headmaster smiled warmly at her, "You won't."

Violet remembered when their headmaster had called her to discuss her betrothal with the Dark Lord's son.

"Interesting.....If they're arranging a marriage, Voldemort must want you on their side. He sees you as an asset."

"Or, he simply wants a pure-blood wife for his son," she rolled her eyes.

"If they ask you to become a death eater, I want you to accept."

Violet choked on her lemon drop, "Are you mad? That's ridiculous! And wouldn't it be suspicious if I suddenly accept after blatantly expressing my disgust with them?"

"Hmm," Dumbledore thought for a moment, stroking his beard, ".....not if you appear to be in love with his son."

'What?"

"Let the boy think you're falling for him. That would be believable and you'll be in Voldemort's good graces. Bewitch his son, earn his trust, let him open up to you, soon enough he'll talk about his father."

"So... you're using me as shark bait, basically."

"I'd like to think of you as a stone hitting two birds," he argued, "They want something from you. Use it to your advantage."

It didn't take much to convince her, really. She was going to marry Mattheo Riddle regardless, might as well use it to her advantage and have fun with it.

If she learned one thing from living with a family of Death Eaters, that is—dangerous men desire what they can't control. And so far, the hot and cold tactic is working like a charm. After all, it was in her nature to be as cunning as a serpent. Stupid boy.

*Author's note*

Hello! I'm back. First of all, I'm so sorry for dissapearing :( I've been super busy in school but now its finally summer break! I might get back into posting twice or once every week, I'm not yet sure...but I'll def be posting a lot more now. Anyway, thank you to everyone who is still waiting and reading this book <3 To all the new readers, hello, I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing it :)

Also, in this book Bella is not Mattheo's mother, just to avoid confusion.

Be safe, everyone!

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

545 16 10
"𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞, 𝐰𝐞'...
26.3K 560 25
It was the morning of your seventeenth birthday that your parents revealed the magic world to you, having hid it from you most of your life. Your par...
20.2K 395 20
Love can be blinding, especially when it's toxic. This story is about Tom Riddle, Mattheo Riddle, and the Main Character: Jane Lupin. THE STORY IS W...
40.6K 570 17
Y/n Lestrange's family decide to move back to England from France to show their support for the Dark Lords return. Y/n transferred to Hogwarts after...