The Water Alchemist

By StarryClosure

When a teenage girl falls from the sky engulfed in a red glow, a certain state alchemist and his brother set... More

Dream State
A Chance Encounter
Uncertain Certainty
All Aboard
Hammer and Nails
Faulty Memory
A Grave House
Helpless
Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back
The Cut
Dead Ends
Keep No Secrets
Difficult Discoveries
Revelation
Chasing Time
Heavy Interference
Getting Somewhere
Chosen Family
Conviction
Sweet Naïveté
Venomous Consequences
The Way It Follows You
Swallowed Fear
True to Form
Unraveled
The Price of Freedom
See It Through
Uncharted Waters
What Lies Ahead
The Jury Is Out
Grave Dweller
Things Left Unsaid
Where We Stand
House Of Cards
Blind Faith
Insurance
Unlikely Ally
The Longest Night
Equivalent Exchange
The Awakening
After
Forward
Growing Pains
Bittersweet Parting
The Chase
Look Before You Leap
An Alchemists Pride
Hands Of Fate
Resolve The Past
A Matter Of Trust
Convergence
Father
Reunion
Begin Again

Deafening Silence

537 18 7
By StarryClosure

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Fifty

Deafening Silence

***

Bloodcurdling screams echoed through the dimly lit hallways. They carried through steel doors and grated vents but fell on deaf ears. It was all a part of the process. A man writhed against his restraints, the table quickly turning crimson as blood leaked from his ears, his nose, even his eyes. He had been their thirteenth alchemist to go through this process. And the process was becoming quite tedious. Each one of his predecessors had passed, their body's unable to handle the strain. A red light glowed from his exposed chest— a transmutation circle etched into his skin by the doctors surrounding him, monitoring his vitals. The key reacted with him similarly to each previous subjects, but his eyes had much more agitation in them as he met Father's gaze, cursing him. He banged his head to the table, letting out the worst of the cries, seemingly near the end of his rope. Yet, there was a hopefulness in the sound. It prolonged longer than any other subject before, and there was a tense excitement that buzzed in the air. Father watched through the thick glass, his face rigid. The doctor at his side looked up at him before looking back to the subject.

"We may have found a suitable host," he said, his gold tooth shining with a wicked grin.

Father didn't answer. His focus was still drawn to the alchemist. He had applied to the State Alchemist program for about five years before giving up. He was talented in mechanical alchemy, using it as a mechanic, running the garage below his apartment where he and his family lived. Of all the candidates, Father had expected the least from him. Though it had been suggested, he couldn't pull from his stock of State Alchemists for this task. It would be too wasteful of their potential. However, as time passed, the idea was becoming more and more enticing. He was beginning to think he should have emphasized more to Kimblee that girls roll in their plans than just a mere sacrifice as the man's cries died down, his body going slack over the table. Doctors and nurses rushed him, checking vitals, pumping fluids. But father already knew. The team in the room pulled a white sheet over the alchemist's head, a nurse declaring the time of death. The doctor at his side was quiet, frowning. The Promised Day was fast approaching, and they still didn't have a suitable host. Time was of the essence.

"Who's next?" Father asked, his voice even.

***

They had been walking for quite some time, managing to cover a decent distance. They'd likely reach their destination by nightfall, their destination being Resembool, thanks to the shape Ed's arm and leg were in. He needed a tune-up, and they needed a quiet place to plan, so Granny's seemed the most logical. The Promised Day was nearly upon them, though the sun shone brightly overhead, and the wind blew as if the world was quietly alive. It was strange to think such beautiful things in nature like the flowers in the field to their right went on blissfully unaware while tragedy awaited the hands that planted them. That was the thing Ed envied about nature; whether or not there were people to tend the crops, the plants would still grow. The birds would carry the seeds; the bees would pollinate them; the sky would provide the sunshine and the rain. Nature had a flow of its own. While he was tied to it, it could function without him. He'd return to the earth one day, but his contribution to it in the grand scheme of things would be insignificant. But he was determined to make sure his role in the Promised Day was significant enough to prevent the great loss of life that was predicted. He was going to save everyone he could, as naïve a notion that was. He couldn't save her, but he wanted at the very least to fulfill her last wish. He'd be damned if he didn't live through this.

"Hey, what's that light?" Heinkel asked his hand over his forehead, staring up at the sky. Ed sighed.

"You mean the sun?" he chuckled, his hands casually behind his head as he trudged on, but the caravan stopped. He turned, raising a brow at them, noticing they were all looking to the sky— even Greedling.

"No, I see it too," Darius confirmed. "It's a red light. I'm pretty sure." Ed frowned, dropping his arms, striding up to them.

"Alright, what are you looking at?" Ed asked, squinting. Greedling took it upon himself to adjust Ed's gaze, and as his eyes fell upon the light, Ed gasped. Sure enough, a red light blinked across the sky. "No way. How is that...?" His breath caught a moment before he drifted from the road and jumped down into the field of flowers, his eyes trained on the light.

"Ed, hang on!" Heinkel called.

He willfully ignored the calls of his comrades, their voices distant echoes. His feet moved without him even thinking as he waded through the field, picking up speed as the light descended over the horizon. As Ed moved closer, he began running, the light becoming brighter with each step. His heart raced, and his feet barely kept up as the light fell further and further— like a shooting star, looking for a place to rest. Ed stumbled over a vine and cursed to himself, landing on his knee, but he pushed himself back up, now identifying what the light was. Ed rushed forward with the last push of his energy, his heart ready to beat out of his chest, and positioned himself beneath the fallen star. He held his arms out and prepared for the impact, which sent him and the star across the field, leaving crushed flowers in their wake. Ed grunted as they slid to a stop, and a star – no, a girl – rested on his chest. She looked out of place, wearing a t-shirt and cropped pants of an odd material Ed had only ever seen once before and a backpack he didn't recognize. But he couldn't mistake the constellation of freckles, the gilded strands that had grown longer, framing her face. The unmistakable warmth of something lost, now found.

"Marina?" he breathed, pushing up to his elbows, the girl lying on his chest still unconscious. At the sound of his voice, her eyes fluttered, her long eyelashes blinking a few times. Eventually, she looked up at him, and the endless ocean in her eyes swallowed Ed into their cool and tranquil depths. She sat up suddenly, startling him a little bit, as she seemed to inspect herself, checking that she was all there. She looked back to him when she finished, her eyes shiny, her smile bright as he'd always seen it. She suddenly tackled him to the ground in a flourish, and Ed huffed a laugh, a mixture of emotions rushing through him. Not only was she alive, but she was here, with him. He never imagined he'd ever see her again, let alone hold her. But she was there, heavy over his chest, warm in his arms. He drew her in close, resting his hand atop her head, staring up at the mighty blue sky. The heavens must have heard him after all. "You came back to me."

***

That same awful sensation tore through me and broke me apart bit by bit, sending me swirling back to the void. But this time, I welcomed it. This time I knew what I was doing. This time it was purposeful. I was spat out into the bleak whiteness, tumbling a moment before my body came to rest. I groaned, trying to get the world to stop spinning. As my focus returned, it pinpointed the being I was looking for.

"Back so soon?" Truth asked, seeming bewildered. I huffed a laugh, lifting myself from the ground.

"I'm not done," I stated, staggering to my feet. My side hurt from the impact, but I ignored it, staring Truth down. "Not yet."

"Oh?" they said, rising, mirroring me.

"I want another shot," I said, rolling my shoulders back, my fists clenched at my side. "At figuring out your riddle."

"Do you, now?" they asked, tilting their head at me. They grinned widely. "How unexpected."

"I thought you knew all," I mumbled under my breath, and they laughed, a strange echo in the expanding white.

"You sure have a sharp tongue," they said flatly, though a bit amused. I stiffened, not realizing they could hear me.

"Sorry," I said hastily, losing my composure for a moment. Pissing off the being that stood between me and my goal probably wasn't the best course of action. I cleared my throat. "May I please have a second chance?"

"Well, since you went through the trouble, I suppose," they said with a wave of their hand, and I felt a hopeful swell in my chest. I heard the creaking of doors, and this time, I looked behind me, the same two strange doors there at my back. "So, which will it be?"

"You want me to choose?" I realized aloud as I turned to the doors, looking between them.

"That's right," they said. "Which path awaits you?"

I hadn't seen the door I had fallen through the first time or the one I had been pulled into the second. America or Amestris. Yin or Yang. Whether I had a second chance was entirely up to me. And somehow still, I knew which to choose. I pointed at the door, turning my head to Truth.

"This one," I said, pointing to the door with Yang's half. A moment of quiet.

"Is that your final choice?" they asked, and I nodded firmly.

"So be it," Truth said, and the door was suddenly beneath me, and it opened to a clear blue sky. "Now, for your toll."

I held my arms out, feeling the breeze from the world below, waiting for me. I had already made the right choice. There wasn't much else they could take from me, so long as I had a second chance. Besides that, whatever they took, I'd prepared. I had all kinds of medical supplies in my bag and a few crash courses in giving and receiving medical attention. Arm or leg, I could stop the bleeding enough until I got help. I made my mom promise she'd destroy the edge of the circle the moment I stepped into it so she wouldn't get sucked in. And as far as I was concerned, the second Philosopher's Stone lying dormant in my body was as good a bargaining chip as any. I was ready to go home. I felt that red-hot fire burning in my throat like before, and I coughed. I half expected the second stone to emerge like the last, but nothing came up. My vision spotted heavily, and I felt myself fading before I could feel myself falling— but not before I thought I saw a second, taller figure outlined in the same eerie aura standing beside Truth.

***

I felt something beneath me. Not a bed; it was unnaturally warm for a mattress. It was a strangely familiar warmth, had a strangely familiar scent. Oil and something vaguely earthy wrapped up in fresh flowers. I heard a voice call my name, and while it, too, seemed familiar, it was different somehow. Deeper maybe. I opened my eyes slowly, the world around me just a little too bright. They eventually adjusted, and I realized I was in a vast flower field on a bright and clear blue day. I looked down and noticed I was lying on top of a person. Likely the one that had called my name. My gaze traveled up the torso covered with a white button-up and outlined in a tan overcoat before reaching the golden eyes of a boy who I didn't think I'd ever see again. My breath hitched as I took Ed in. I did it; I made it back. And I remembered. I sat up quickly, looking for any legs or arms out of place. I could smell and hear and feel. I had made it back, and somehow, nothing was missing. Truth had taken the stone after all. I sucked in a breath and wrapped my arms around Ed's neck, forcing us both back onto the ground in a heap. He wrapped his arms around me, gently caressing my hair. I melted into him, feeling tears well in my eyes.

"You came back to me," he mumbled into my hair, seeming just as astonished as I was. I giggled and pulled back, climbing off him to kneel. I helped him sit up and cupped his face in my hands, opening my mouth.

Edward.

He gave me a funny look, which I mirrored. I thought I had said it, but I hadn't. My mouth pursed to annunciate the syllables, but all that escaped my lips was air. I cleared my throat to try again.

Edward, I said. But the only sound that came was a strange gurgling. I frowned, bringing my hand to my throat, coughing a moment.

"Are you alright? What's wrong? Your voice, it..." he trailed off, concern apparent on his face. I tried again to speak, but nothing came out. I tried again. And again. And again. My throat was dry, and it hurt each time I attempted to speak. I coughed and choked, and still, no sound came. No matter how hard I strained, I couldn't form the words I wanted so desperately to say. And I had so much to say. I clasped both of my hands around my throat, and I looked up to him, frightened. The sheen of tears of joy began to fall from my eyes, but they lost their edge as I realized something was missing. Truth had taken my voice. I blinked through the tears as Ed frowned, using his thumb to wipe them away. The realization seemed to dawn on him as well, the color draining from his face. "Marina, you can't speak— can you?"

I shook my head, sitting back, wiping my face hurridly. I managed a weak smile, tried to let him know it was alright. My voice was a small price to pay. I was lucky it was all that was lost. I could live with that. But he cast his gaze down, biting his lips together, breathing sharply before pulling my head against his chest. His arms seemed broader somehow, safer than I remembered as they wrapped around me, and I leaned into him, my strength fading as I gave into his embrace. I'm back, I thought, taking a deep breath. That's all that matters.

***

It was a quiet walk to Winry's. We were eventually pulled from the field of flowers by Ed's new traveling companions, the most shocking of them being Greed, who Ed started calling Greedling. After we re-introduced ourselves as comrades and not enemies, we began on our way. Greedling spoke mostly, filling me in on their plans.

"You sure turned up at the right time," he huffed. "How long have you been gone?" He looked back at me, and I opened my mouth, only to close it again. Not being able to talk was going to take some getting used to. I realized I wasn't exactly sure how long I'd been away in their time anyway.

"Almost 3 months," Ed said, surprising me. I couldn't tell if I was more surprised by how long I'd been gone or that he knew how much time had passed. It gave me a sense of the flow of time between our worlds, at least. My world's time seemed to flow much quicker.

"Well, the Promised Day isn't far now," Greedling said.

I looked over to Ed, wondering just how much time we had left. He had a pensive look on his face. It was strange, he was still Ed, but it seemed that in the time I had been gone, he'd changed too. He wore his hair in a ponytail, and instead of the signature red, he wore a white button-up and tanned khakis to match his coat. He looked more refined, more adult somehow. But the thing that changed most about him was the way he carried himself. It seemed heavier, more troubled than I had left him. If he had been carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders before, I wasn't exactly sure what he carried now. He didn't talk about what he had done in the interim, and I very well couldn't say what I had done. I vowed to myself that I would write it all down; give it to him so he could understand. But I wanted to understand him too. I wanted to understand what he'd gone through in the last 3 months. I tugged on his sleeve, and he jolted back, and we stopped a moment, the caravan advancing ahead of us. He seemed a bit wound up, and I grasped my hand to my chest.

"Sorry," he breathed out, his brow creased as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I'm just a little on edge." I nodded slowly, and we resumed. He must be worried about the days ahead, I thought to myself, but something in my chest felt a bit disheartened.

"Looks like we made it," Greedling called as we came upon the town, the customary sign announcing our arrival to Resembool a ways ahead.

We walked the path up to Winry's and saw that familiar little house at the top of the hill. Granny greeted us happily, though she gave Ed and me quite the talking to for going presumably missing. Apparently, Winry had caught wind of our disappearance and told her grandmother. She was incredibly sympathetic to my situation, which I waved off. I noticed as soon as it was mentioned, though, Ed's jaw set tightly.

"Well, you might not be able to talk, but I could still use a hand in the kitchen," she said with a grin to me, ignoring Eds changed demeanor. I nodded, trying to catch his eye, but I couldn't. I followed Granny into the kitchen as the group dispersed, with Ed showing them around. I assisted her in making a small feast. She justified the amount of food we prepared easily. "We've got some hungry mouths to feed."

I laughed, strange a sound it came out to be, and soon we were finished. We gathered to eat, and I sat down, expecting Ed to sit next to me, but he sat at the other end of the table, avoiding my gaze the whole meal. When we finished, he excused himself nearly immediately, holing up in a room. He didn't come out until the next morning, and then he and the rest of our party spent the day strategizing, planning our next move. I tried to occupy myself by writing out what had happened on my side, but I was having trouble focusing. I couldn't shake how strangely Ed was acting. I thought he'd be happy I came back, but it seemed I was just causing him discomfort. It was bothering me beyond belief, and I couldn't figure out just what I had done that had pushed him away. I wondered briefly if his feelings for me had faded after all. I stopped writing, my pen hovering over the page.

I looked to the door, feeling a rumble in my stomach. Dinner would be soon, so I reasoned to take a break and see if Granny needed any help to keep my mind from wandering. I walked carefully down the hall, stopping momentarily at the door to the room the others occupied. Ed still hadn't filled me in much with what was going on. I hated being in the dark. I thought to eavesdrop, but after a moment, I decided against it. I didn't want to give Ed more reason to avoid me, even though I didn't truly understand the motivation behind his avoidance. I greeted Granny, who put me to work nearly immediately, and soon, the kitchen filled with the scent of good food. I heard some shuffling upstairs as she went to grab something from the pantry, and Greedling entered the kitchen. I looked up at him, and he grinned.

"Whatcha cookin'?" he asked, looking over my shoulder. I was stirring a stew, though there was chicken and vegetables in the oven. He took a big whiff, his mouth watering nearly instantly, and I giggled. "Man, that smells good. I'm starving!"

Seems like he still has Ling's stomach, I thought to myself, a smile tugging at my cheek. He leaned his back against the counter, staring at me, and I quirked a brow.

"Listen, little lady. We leave tonight for Central. I trust you can handle yourself, so prepare however you need to. The Promised Day's almost here— and we could use all the help we can get to pull this thing off," he said, sighing heavily. His eyes turned serious as he looked at me. "Just watch your back out there, got it?"

I nodded fiercely. This was why I had come back, after all. To preserve the lives I had built in both worlds. I wasn't going to back down from the fight. He didn't say anything else as his cool demeanor returned, and he sauntered off into the dining room.

It wasn't long after we finished cooking, and Granny sent me out to gather our companions as she set the table. I crossed into the living room, looking around, the house oddly quiet for having so many rowdy people around. I was about to check upstairs when there was a sudden jingle at the front door. I turned to it and watched the knob twist back and forth anxiously. Was someone trying to break in? I crouched into a fighting stance, and I yelled for Ed, but not a sound came out as I remembered my condition. The door swung open.

"Granny, I'm back!" a familiar voice called into the foyer, and I took a relieved breath as Winry walked through the door.

We locked eyes, and I smiled before I realized someone else was behind her. Someone familiar, though a little out of place. But even more out of place was his hand in hers as they stood in the doorway together. I blinked between Winry and Elias for a minute. Were they...

"Marina?" Ed's voice rang out through the house as he came tumbling down the stairs in a frenzy, turning into the living room. "Did you say something? Is your voice—"

He cut himself off, seeing what I saw, his jaw just as low to the ground as you'd expect. We all stood around in strained silence. Winry immediately dropped Elias's hand, her face beet red, and Elias looked ready to run back out the door. I turned to Ed, at a loss for words even more so than I usually was.

Well, this is... interesting, I thought to myself, turning back to them as Ed made his way to my side.

"Marina, tell me that I'm seeing things," Ed nearly pleaded, his voice low and confused. There was an undertone of a threat there, and I was afraid to confirm it on Elias's behalf. Honestly, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on either. When had they gotten so... close?

"We heard something. What's going on?" Heinkel asked, emerging from the spare rooms off the side with Darius behind him that they were bunking in. They spotted Winry and Elias, and with the swiftness of a soldier's training, had their guns drawn and pointed at the door. Elias grabbed Winry, shoving in front of her, and placed himself between her and their guns. He barred his teeth at them, his hand moving to his hip, where I noticed he'd had his knife hilted. Chaos ensued. "Who are you?"

"Drop your weapon!" Darius ordered, inching toward Elias. Elias drew his knife, and Heinkel nearly pulled the trigger. Den bounded down the stairs, barking incessantly, Ed just barely managing to snag her by the collar.

"Woah, hold it!" Ed yelled, drowned out by Den's barking and shouting. Elias pointed the blade at the two Chimeras.

"Who the hell are you?" he snarled. "She lives here!" He motioned to Winry, who looked both confused and fed up.

"Huh?" Darius said. Greedling emerged from the kitchen, his hands stuffed in his pockets casually. Elias cut his eye to Greedling, widening a moment.

"You're that guy," he said, and Greedling furrowed his brow.

"We throwin' a party or something?" he asked with a grin, raising his arm, his ultimate shield covering the ouroboros tattoo. I grabbed his wrist before he threw himself into the fray, giving him a warning look, and he chuckled. "What's wrong, little lady? I can't have a bit of fun?" He shot me a sly grin, and I took a deep breath and shook my head as Ed managed to get between Elias and the Chimeras.

"Marina!" Winry called, dislodging from the chaotic scene, walking over to us. She smiled at me before enveloping me in a tight hug. "I was so worried about you! Are you alright?" I nodded with a smile, hugging her back just as tightly.

I was worried about you too, I thought, relieved that she was safe. She pulled away, looking back over her shoulder.

"I'm glad you're here, at least. I swear, I think I'll get to relax, and then I walk into another busy home," she huffed, her hands on her hips. She looked different too, older, and I suddenly wondered just how I looked to them. Not much had changed except for gaining a little bit of weight, and my hair had gotten a tad longer. Winry nodded to the man behind me as the rest of our little group calmed down and joined us. "Ling, right?"

"Oh, you must have met the guy whose body this is," Greedling said after a moment. "Yeah, he's long gone. The name's Greed. It's a pleasure to meet you." He finished with a grin, and she looked more confused than when we started.

"Good to see you and all, Win, but what are you guys doing here?" Ed asked, returning to my side, looking disheveled.

"We've been hiding out for a while with Mr. Hughes's family," Elias supplemented, standing behind Winry. "I was asked to escort Mrs. Isabelle home before escorting Winry here." I jolted forward at Isabelle's name. Winry seemed to notice and gave me a knowing smile.

"She's safe and sound. Mustang scoped her house out a long while to ensure it was safe to return. She's just fine, thanks to you, Marina," she said. I took a shuddered breath, clenching the fabric at my chest, so grateful for Mustang. I owed him majorly. Winry's smile turned to a look of concern. "Are you alright? You haven't said anything." I tried to control the look I gave her, but it didn't fool her a moment. Ed cleared his throat.

"She lost her voice," he said softly, his eyes trained to the floor.

"Oh, well, tea and honey had always done the trick when I was a kid," Winry said, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "I used to get sore throats a lot—"

"It's not like that, Winry," Ed cut out, startling her. "It's... permanent." She and Elias both looked at me with wide eyes, and I felt incredibly small.

"What happened?" Elias said lowly, eyeing my collar. I realized the necklace was gone, and I closed my shirt more closely to my neck. Elias lifted his arm, but Ed grabbed it, and I realized it was his new automail. It looked like Ed's, and it looked like he had a decent grasp over its movements as he clenched it. Ed glared up at him and released his arm.

"She didn't use the stone if that's what you're thinking," Ed said, his fist trembling at his side. "She got hurt trying to protect me. She nearly died, but the stone glowed and saved her all its own. It disappeared soon after. She crossed through the gate." I stared at Ed's summation, as shocked as the two he retold it to.

"You're kidding," Elias said, taken aback. Ed shook his head, and Winry gazed upon me, her eyes pitying as she covered her mouth with her hands.

"When she returned, she didn't have a voice," he said. He looked deeply troubled. I frowned. "It was my fault any of it happened."

Ed, I wanted to call for him, to assure him it wasn't his fault, but he seemed so far away. I reached for him, but he avoided my touch, and I was at a bit of a loss as my hand fell back to my side.

"Winry?" a voice called, and we all paused and looked to Granny, standing at the entrance of the kitchen. A wide yet strained smile stretched across Winry's face.

"I'm home, Granny."

"Welcome back," she smiled, motioning to the kitchen. "If everyone behaves, we've made up some dinner." 

The room began to filter out, but I couldn't do anything but stare down at my hand. Ed was right there, but it felt as if there was something between us— like a grand cavern. A hesitance that hadn't been there before. His avoidance was purposeful, and though I didn't fully grasp it, I hadn't imagined it. Was it guilt? Was it confusion? Or had he really moved on? I didn't know. But it was naive of me to think we could spend literal lifetimes apart and come back together whole. Not when we were already on the brink of unknowns and weighted possibilities. Not when I'd asked him to forget. I bit my lips together, following everyone into the dining room.

***

After everything had calmed down, we were able to make proper introductions, dispelling any confusion. We all sat together, digging into the meal Granny and I had been working at, luckily with plenty for our unexpected guests. Winry and Elias listened as Greedling took over explaining how we had come to end up at Winry's. They sat side by side, exchanging coy looks now and then, and I wondered just how much more I had missed being on my side of the gate. Ed was quiet as Greedling spoke, and he didn't meet my eye when I glanced at him. While Winry and Elias had grown closer, it seemed that Ed and I had drifted apart in more ways than physical.

"Why did you come to our house?" Winry asked.

"We're trying to get prepared. His auto-mail is in serious need of maintenance, and I need him in peak condition," Greedling explained through chewing, motioning to Ed.

"Give him a look-see after dinner," Granny instructed to Winry. "It is your fine craftsmanship, after all. I'm not really comfortable tinkering with it."

"Sure," Winry said, her mouth full too. It wasn't long before we finished the meal, and Ed and Winry left to adjust Ed's automail. Elias and I assisted in the cleanup. I was rinsing a dish in the sink, and he was drying a plate.

"You did something reckless, I bet," he said. I shrugged. He might think that, but I meant what I told Ed. I had thought it through. I looked over to him, nodding my head to the workshop. He gave me an inquisitive look, and I wiggled my eyebrow, exaggerating my expression as much as possible before mouthing her name. His cheeks dusted pink as he caught on. "Shut up." He grumbled as he dried, and I let out a short snort, a smile spreading across my face.

I didn't even say anything, I thought smugly to myself, my suspicions confirmed. So, they were a thing. Or something like it. I'd get the details out of them somehow or another. But there was an issue at hand that was a little more pressing that took priority. When we finished, I tugged on Elias's sleeve, and he followed me to the living room. I ran to my room to grab the notebook out, along with my notepad. I came back downstairs, and I made him wait a short while as I wrote out what I wanted to ask of him.

This is Carter's, from my world. I need help translating and decoding it. Please, I wrote, tapping my foot anxiously against the hardwood as he read it over. He gazed up at me over the notepad.

"I told you once before, I want nothing to do with Carter," he said, rising a moment. I grabbed his sleeve, writing some more.

He said something about a disaster he had to fix, but I don't know if he fixed it or what it is, I wrote. But I think it's something that would destroy both this world and mine if he didn't. He scoffed.

"I'm not an alchemist. I gave the ability up to Truth for your passage," he said, and I stiffened. I hadn't realized that. I thought he hadn't performed alchemy on principle, not because he couldn't. Was that why he couldn't remember the transmutation circle? Because he'd given up alchemy altogether? I looked up at him, confusion setting in.

But what about his eye? I wondered, my hand resting over my own. Wasn't that his toll?

"My left eye was my toll to return," he explained as if understanding my train of thought. "My alchemy was yours. And your memories too, I suppose. To go to your world in the first place, I denounced my religion to Truth. Ishvala would never accept an alchemist into heaven anyway. I gave up being with my parents and my sister in the afterlife for petty revenge. Pathetic, isn't it?"

He scorned himself, and my heart ached. Three tolls he'd paid. One of them for me. It pained me to think my father had prevented a family from being together one last time. That I was a part of that. I remembered something and flipped through the book. I found and handed him the worn picture that I had tucked in the notebook. It wasn't much of a thank you, nor was it a suitable apology. I squeezed it into his hand, one last pleading gesture before releasing the picture to him. He squinted at it before recognition washed over his face, and he stared at the picture a long time.

Please, I asked again. I'll decode it. I just need a translation. This could be the difference between life and death. If not for me, for the memory of those you've loved and lost. Do it for Winry. For your future together. His lips formed a tight line as he read, and he sighed.

"You really are a pain. You know that?"

Sure do, I thought as I gave him the best smile I could muster, which was meager at best. He grumbled a bit but took up a pen anyway as he sat.

"Translating only," he said, and I nodded as he got to work. In the meantime, I continued to write out what had happened on my side. We worked quietly like that awhile, him producing sheets of Carter's notes and me, journaling. He paused a moment, staring down at the notebook a long time before I noticed something was wrong. I looked up at him, giving him a questioning look.

Elias? I tried to call for him, but a gurgled sound came out. It was enough to draw his gaze, and he looked at me with an expression I couldn't read. I blinked at him as he stood, and I stood, panic swelling in my chest. Had he figured out what the disaster was? Was it really bad? How bad was really bad? Like, fixable, or totally hopeless? What—

I stiffened as he wrapped me in a hug— arguably the strangest thing he'd ever done. He never displayed affection, especially not toward me. It was frankly freaking me out. Whatever he had found, it must've been bleak.

"Mariella," he whispered, his voice cracking, and I furrowed my brow.

Mariella? I thought, confused. Had he forgotten my name? Really? I realized something was off after he repeated it, hugging me tighter. His shoulders shook, and I realized he was crying. The last time he had cried, things were really bad. I tentatively hugged him back, panic and confusion rising in me with each sob before I realized I remembered I had heard the name he'd said somewhere before. I wracked my brain a moment before remembering where I'd heard it.

She looks a lot like a young woman I used to know.

A young Ishvalen woman.

Mariella?

Back in the ruins of Xerces, that old woman, Madam Shan, had told me I reminded her of a girl named Mariella. I gripped his shirt, my breath hitching in my chest. The name on the back of the picture was oddly similar. It looked like it had too many spaces between the letters. Like some had been worn away. But then, that meant... No. It wasn't that, was it? I pulled away, gazing up at him, pleading with him for an answer with my eyes. He covered his face with his hand, and I moved to his side of the table, reading off the chicken scratch of his translation.

Mariella had our beautiful baby girl today. We've decided to name her Marina—

How? I mouthed, looking up at him, my vision blurring. It didn't add up. He lived with them, been with them, never mentioned a baby— a baby with my name.

"I spent a year from home, assisting Nessa and the elders establish a refugee camp," he stated lowly as if drawing along the same line of thought I was. He let out a rueful chuckle, his automail resting over his hip as he raked his hand through his hair. "She never said anything. I didn't even know she was pregnant."

But, the raid, I quickly wrote, sliding it across the table. It pained me to remind him of it, but I had to know. I swiped at my face furiously as he read.

"I was returning home from that trip when it happened," he said, his voice barely a whisper. I snatched up the pad. "Carter was gone, but there was no sign of a second baby— of you."

You said he was unfaithful, I wrote. I needed to be surer than sure. He scanned it, furrowing a brow a moment.

"Yes, he didn't follow Ishvala, but I don't see what that has to do with... this," he said, placing the note down.

I heaved a breath. So, Elias hadn't meant he was unfaithful to his sister but to their religion. I could barely breathe. I covered my mouth with my hand, suppressing a sob. After all this time, I knew who my mother was. Even after every denial, I finally knew unequivocally. Absolute proof. I was the second child of Carter and Mariella. I fell into the chair beside me, my head in my hands. I couldn't tell if I was glad, or relieved, or even more saddened. It all crashed over me in a wave that mixed and jumbled every emotion until they were one. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and he stood there quietly as I allowed myself to accept what was.

***

Ed slammed the door behind him, throwing his coat over his shoulder. Winry had been helpful, explaining that she'd gotten to hear from Al, even if it was briefly over the phone. He'd been the one to warn them of the Promised Day and mentioned helping Liore get back on its feet along with news of his father, who was hiding out in some slum near Central. He was grateful for the information, but it got him thinking. Though when he suggested she clear out – in case things went south – she yelled at him in that way of hers that always set him off. She was mad at even the suggestion of it, especially when it included taking Marina with them. She wanted him to tell her he'd save everyone, which he flinched at. Ed stomped down the stairs, noticing Greedling on the landing, his arms crossed as he leaned against the wall. That snoop.

"Oh man, she's a peach," Greedling grinned. "Sounds like she wants everything. My kind of girl."

"That kind of wanting is dangerous. It's not how reality works," Ed said, his voice firm. He lifted his automail, newly adjusted but metal and wires all the same. "Take a look. This is what I got for wanting something unrealistic."

"I disagree. You wanna bring back someone that you've lost. You might want money. Maybe you want women, or you might want to protect the world. These are all common things people want. Things that their hearts desire. Greed may not be good, but it's not so bad either. You humans think greed is just for money and power, but everyone wants something they don't have," Greedling said. Ed halted mid-step, but after a moment, proceeded down the stairs. "Hey, kid."

"Hmm?" Ed hummed, marginally annoyed.

"I overheard you wanted to leave the girl," Greedling said, and Ed whipped his head around at him. He really was eavesdropping. Stupid Homunculus. He had a sour look on his face, and Ed frowned.

"What's wrong with that?" Ed asked.

"You don't know my pops," Greedling said, leaning off the wall, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he began down the stairs. "I didn't think it'd be a problem since she was outta the picture, but now that she's here, I should tell ya."

"Tell me what?" Ed demanded as Greedling stopped a step above Ed, looking down on him.

"My pops didn't exactly put the most trust in me after all we've been through, so I don't know much, but I know this— she's different from you. Don't ask me how or why; she just is. She's not just a sacrifice," Greedling warned.

"What does that mean?" Ed asked, his stomach dropping.

"Means that if he finds out she's back, she's in danger no matter where you stash her. So long as she's a part of his plan, he'd be able to find her. Besides, it's a little late now to get her across the country when the Promised Day is nearly here. Wouldn't you rather keep her close to keep an eye on her?" Greedling asked but the question was obviously rhetorical as he pat Ed's shoulder, descending the rest of the stairs.

Ed turned, trying to figure out what to say, but nothing came out as Greedling turned the corner into the kitchen. He let out a low, frustrated grunt.

Everyone wants something they don't have.

As soon as it was said, Ed knew exactly what he wanted. And it wasn't realistic by any means. It was pure selfish desire. It toppled everything he knew he should do, everything he knew he had to make right. It shook his resolve and made him question if he were fit for such a daunting task as saving the country. It frightened him to think he'd lose everything all over again. He turned into the living room, Marina and Elias quietly writing. Ed frowned as she looked up to him, noticing her eyes were red and puffy.

"What's wrong?" he questioned, glancing at Elias's profile. 

"We found out who Marina's mother was," Elias said, and Ed's eyebrow rose.

"What?" Ed asked. Marina's mother was from the other side; she'd said so herself.

She stood, taking up the journal she was writing in. She handed it to Ed, urging him to read, and he quickly realized it was her retelling of what had happened after they had separated. Ed swallowed hard a moment, his heart thumping in his chest, questioning if he was even ready to know. He noticed Elias rise.

"I'll take this. I still haven't finished," he said, waving around a small book, and Marina nodded.

He patted her head, and Ed went rigid. When had he been so affectionate? He glared at Elias as he moved past Marina, headed for the door. She sat at the couch and tapped the spot next to her, inviting him to sit. He took a seat at the other end of the couch. He could see the dejected look on her face as he began to read. But he couldn't get too close. Not again. It would only hurt that much more down the line. They sat in silence, for her in necessity, for him, in concentration. He flipped through the pages, shocked at what she'd gone through, what she'd learned. How her father foretold a disaster they didn't yet understand – which must have been what Elias was tinkering with – further complicating what it was they faced. He read how she managed to find her way back and the price she was willing to pay to do so. And he understood why Elias had acted as he did. She was partly Ishvalen and part Amestrian. His family. He swallowed hard as he finished, glancing at the window, noticing how the sun was nearly set over the horizon. He peeked over to her, noting the weariness of her face as she wrung her hands, waiting for him.

"We should get some rest," he said simply.

***

Ed stopped at my door and opened it for me, motioning for me to enter the room, and I did. There wasn't much in there save for a workbench and a bed, having taken up temporary residence in one of the workshops. Ed was quiet as he closed the door behind him. He didn't say anything about what he'd read. I could barely focus on the couch, knowing Ed was reading about my side, still knowing nothing about what had happened in my absence here. Difficult, more so thanks to his reluctance to be near me.

"I'm sorry about your mom," he said after a while, holding the book out at arm's length. I shook my head, taking the notebook back. There was nothing to be sorry for. I got the closure I needed. Besides, Elias promised he would tell me all about Mariella. It wasn't exactly like meeting her, but it was more than I had before. "Well, I'll go then. Try to rest up. We'll be leaving for Central in a few hours. I'll come get you when we're ready." He turned to go, and I could feel him slipping again. I knew if I just let him go, the cavern between us would only widen to an uncrossable degree. I paled at the thought, and I grabbed his hand.

Wait, I begged with my eyes. He looked at me through his peripheral.

"Is there an issue with the room?" he asked, his voice stiff. I shook my head as I released him but held my hand up for him to wait a moment. He didn't move as I grabbed up a pen and my notebook. I scribbled in it before returning to him.

Why are you avoiding me? I questioned. His golden eyes flickered guiltily as they digested the words, and he handed it back. He ran an unsteady hand through his bangs.

"It's just..." Ed trailed off, his eyes trained to the floor, avoidant, but didn't continue. I wrote some more.

Just what? I asked. He sighed, grasping at the nape of his neck, his mouth a tight line.

"Things are complicated right now," he said quietly.

Why? I questioned with a look.

"I thought I knew what I had to do, or at least try to, and then you came back, and now I'm questioning everything."

What is he questioning, exactly? I wondered, my stomach dropping. He shook his head.

"I need to focus right now. I can't screw up, or else there's a real chance I can't fix this," he said, gesturing around us. "And if I do— I'll lose everything. I'll lose you again." I flipped a page over, scribbling.

You didn't lose me, I wrote hastily. I knew he had done all he could to save me, but I didn't want that. I didn't want him to get sucked in too. His frown only deepened.

"You asked me to forget about you," he said lowly, his eyes falling to the floor.

My mouth parted, but no sound came, such I was finding would be the case for the foreseeable future. I licked my lips once before drawing my hand to his cheek, my heart clenching. Before I rested it against his flesh, I pulled back, that invisible force stopping me. I closed my eyes tightly, swallowing hard on the lump that'd formed in my throat. He must have spent all this time moving forward, moving on from us. I was being selfish. He avoided me for a reason, after all. As much as it pained me, as much as I wanted him, I didn't need to further complicate his feelings if he'd already done the moving on. I didn't need to make things harder for him. He deserved more than that.

I should try to move on too, I thought a tad bitterly. Hadn't the distance changed something in me, too? Did I even still love him if I really thought about it? I dropped my hand, but to my surprise, his face screwed up in pain, and he grasped my hand back, pulling it against him suddenly to his chest.

"How could you ask me something like that? As if it were easy?" he exclaimed, his hair hiding his face. He looked up at me, his golden irises fierce in their appraisal as he searched mine for answers. "You left me without so much as a goodbye. Do you know how frustrating that was?"

Edward, I desperately wanted to call out his name; to ease the pained look on his face. 

"Because I tried to forget about you, Marina, I really did," he laughed, but it wasn't humorous. He gripped my hand harder. "I tried to forget about you and focus on saving this damn country so Al and I could try to get our original bodies back, but then I'd wonder how you'd react seeing Al as himself for the first time or what it would be like to hold your hand in both of my hands. I saw you in everything I did, and on days when it hurt like hell – when I thought I couldn't possibly keep moving forward – it was your voice, your words echoing in my head. And now that I have you back, all I want to do is enjoy it— but I can't, because the world is trying to end, and you're here, but I can't even hear your voice, and it's my fault. Wanting you back came with a price I wasn't prepared to pay. And you paid it, openly, willingly." He breathed a rushed breath, the sentiment winding him. His heart was thumping nearly out of his chest; I could feel it, accelerating with each apprehension. I was at a loss, not that I could respond in any meaningful way, but I finally understood. What he'd been going through all this time. It was heart-wrenching. I shook my head.

It's not your fault, I thought, desperately wishing to say the words.

"Marina, don't you get it? I—" he cut himself off, taking another harsh breath. He wrapped his hand around the back of my head, pulling me to his chest in a tight embrace. He spoke softly. "I can't lose even more of you. Not when I just got you back." I took a breath, breathing in his intoxicating scent.

I can't lose you either, I thought to myself, venturing to stare up at him. He gazed down over me with clouded eyes, swirling with doubt. He was just as uncertain and afraid as I was, and oddly, that thought comforted me. We gazed at one another, the air between us thin and magnetic, pulling us together. Before I knew it, I realized I lifted to the tips of my toes, and he too leaned in. Our lips met gently, and he wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me with all the tenderness he possessed, relaxing into the kiss. A rush of emotion flooded me, swelling in my chest. That spark of electricity was still there, still flowing strongly between us. We broke from one another, our noses still just brushing up against one another.

I'm sorry, I mouthed, a tear trickling from my chin. Ed, I'm so sorry. His face scrunched a moment before he kissed me again, this time more urgently, his lips burning, my mind abysmally blank as he caressed my hip, his flesh hand finding its way up my back, pressing me against his sturdy figure. I dropped the notepad to the floor with a small thump, wrapping my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. I felt myself melt to the floor, my knees weakening with every rushed breath through my nose, feeling even a bit lightheaded. He must have felt the strain of gravity's pull over me as he slowly and carefully walked me back to the bed. The back of my knees hit the end of the mattress, and we somehow managed to remain connected as I plopped onto the duvet.

I ran a hand through his ponytail, tugging on the elastic tie, releasing it as my other hand laced over his back. His hair fell in a golden curtain over his shoulders. I let my hand trail from the back of his neck to his collar, resting over his chest, the other one tangled in his silky hair. A moan escaped his lips that I smiled into as he bit down on my bottom lip. He pushed gently on my shoulder, his other arm at my side, guiding me to my back. The bed creaked with the fluctuation of weight as he climbed up halfway, one knee firmly at my side, his other leg dangling from the bed. His hair trailed over my shoulder as he pulled away, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he pushed up from me. I was panting too, noting that he'd bulked up since I'd last seen him. His shoulders seemed broader in his black tank-top— more toned. The veins in his biceps strained as he held himself over me.

His golden eyes shone in the moonlight that gleamed through the window, and they looked me over with unexpected ferocity. I swallowed hard, but I wasn't at all frightened. After all this time, I knew my heart hadn't changed. It was still his if he'd have it. I cupped his face, knowing there wasn't any escaping it. I still loved Edward Elric. I smiled as he leaned in to kiss the residual water at my cheek, apologizing for making me cry, and I chuckled a moment before he started trailing kisses down my chin, finding my pulse against his lips. He continued to kiss down my neck, dipping into the curvature of my collarbone as his flesh hand traced over my stomach. I was burning beneath his fingertips as he carefully lifted at the corner of the blue button-up top I wore.

Ed, I let out a surprised gasp, my hand shooting to the nape of his neck, and he stopped suddenly— as if he'd understood that the sound I had made was a stand-in for his name. He straightened up, swallowing hard, and I looked up at him, a bit dizzy but mostly bewildered as he grasped my hand from his neck.

"Sorry," he panted sheepishly, not meeting my eye. He squeezed my hand a moment before letting go. He fell to the bed beside me, his arm over his flushed face. I sat up, looking at him questioningly. I hadn't meant for him to stop; I was just a little surprised. But I figured it was for the better, gaining my bearings. There was still plenty of uncertainty, and we hadn't defined anything beyond what we had just done. I didn't want Ed to do anything he'd regret, and I wasn't sure I would have been willing to stop him. The thought burned my cheeks. I bit my lip and gently, tentatively placed my head to his chest, his heart still pounding. He jerked beneath me a moment before he relaxed. As he did, I rested the full weight of my head at his chest. We laid there a while, and the rhythm of his heart calmed, evening into a song, nearly lulling me to sleep. "Marina?"

"Hmm?" I hummed.

"We'll stop them, right?" he asked quietly, and I lifted my head to gaze up at him.

He didn't move, his arm still over his face, but I noticed his lip quivering. I wanted to tell him outright that we'd succeed. I wanted him to know he didn't have to shoulder this alone like I realized I didn't have to. Knowing I wouldn't be alone was the reason I was able to resolve to return. He had far more than just me to rely on, to count on. I wanted to say, I'm right here with you. You're not alone. I wanted to go back and tell him everything I'd meant to when I still had the chance. I wanted to curse Truth for taking away what little assurance I could give Ed, but I remembered I had something. It was small, but it was something. I laid a hand over his chest, and he moved his arm slightly to look at me. I grasped his hand, coaxing his arm from his face. He looked at me funnily until he realized what I was doing, and he relented his hand to me. I traced a circle in his palm, and he traced one in mine. Our eyes met a moment, and we nodded briefly before simultaneously swallowing our fears.

***

Ed closed the door behind him carefully, the floorboard creaking gently at the weight of his metal limb. Marina had managed to fall asleep fairly quickly after their exchange. It still amazed him, even now. He felt lighter, getting all that stuff off his chest, even if she couldn't say anything. It didn't feel as heavy anymore, and he could move forward with a fresh perspective. He'd focus on helping her decode her father's work and figure out how to prevent a massive tragedy. Everything else came secondary, they decided, including restoring her voice. At no particular part in their exchange, Ed vowed to restore it. She had huffed softly through her nose at him, but she didn't fight it. They'd figure something out. Together.

The lock turned with a click, and Ed let out a relieved sigh, turning into the dark hallway. He almost didn't notice the brooding figure in the corner, save for his white hair glinting in the faint light of the moon that shone through the window at the end of the hall. Ed stumbled back with a start, his heart leaping into his throat as his golden eyes met a red, furious one.

"Jesus," Ed breathed out harshly, clutching his tank top. His heart thrummed restlessly in his chest. "We outta put a bell on you or something."

"What were you up to in Marina's room, demon spawn?" Elias hissed, his arms crossed expectantly, a deep frown now visible to Ed as his eyes adjusted to the darkness. "Were you trying to corrupt my niece?" Ed nearly choked on air.

"W-what?" Ed stammered, a deep blush climbing up his neck, burning the tips of his ears. "No, no! I was just talking to her, that's all." Elias leaned from the wall. A few short steps later, he was towering over Ed, a threatening gleam in his eye.

"This late?" he pressed. Ed thought to swallow his pride but remembered something, an equally menacing grin spreading across his face.

"And just where have you been all night?" Ed asked, poking at Elias's chest with his metal ligament. "Winry's room?" Elias jolted back, a look crossing his face a moment as his resolve wavered, and Ed knew he'd won. Elias frowned.

"That's none of your business, pipsqueak," Elias shot back, a low blow; one Ed knew he'd thought would send him over the edge. But Ed wasn't so childish anymore. Not since he realized he'd gotten taller squared up against the white-haired Ishvalen. A vein in his head only throbbed slightly at the remark.

"Then it's none of yours either, jackass," Ed growled out through his teeth. They glared one another down before Elias backed off, inflating Ed's ego just a bit.

"Whatever," Elias said lowly. "But I swear if you hurt her—"

"Shouldn't that be my line?" Ed countered. "I am Winry's best friend, you know, and you don't have the greatest track record. If you think my punch hurt the last time, I guarantee I can hit you much harder."

"I'd never hurt her," Elias said steadily, surprising Ed. "I care about her quite a lot. She's become someone very important to me." Ed blinked at his blunt appraisal before letting out a harsh sigh, running his hand through his bangs.

"I gotta tell you, I'm still a little weirded out by you two being... a thing, but if it makes her happy – which it apparently does – I'll let it be," he said, straightening up. He tapped his fist lightly to Elias's chest. "But you still owe me a favor."

"Yeah? What?" Elias asked.

"Take good care of her," he said firmly, and Elias's face set. "That's what I need from you. Keep her safe and happy, alright?" Elias nodded, his fist tapping Ed's chest.

"You do the same," he said, tipping his chin to the closed door behind Ed. "She's the only family I have left. And I've already caused her enough grief." Ed nodded, understanding the gravity of the promise between them. It wasn't exactly an easy thing to promise, but Ed was determined to keep this one. No matter the cost.

***

With the stars to guide us, we made our move to head out. We'd stayed at Granny's longer than Ed had expected, but it worked in my favor, having given Elias time to translate the Ishvalen.

"I've translated it, thought I didn't understand most of it. The rest is up to you now," he said, handing me the book.

Thank you, I mouthed, genuinely grateful. Elias nodded.

"Don't be reckless. I still have to tell you all about my sister. So come back safely," he said, and I smiled, enveloping him in a hug. He stiffened a moment but eventually relaxed, and Winry took his place, squeezing me tightly. She eventually let go, prompted by Elias's hand on her shoulder. "Winry, they have to go." She looked at us sadly as we stepped down the stairs.

"I just don't understand why you're leaving in the middle of the night," Winry said worriedly, her hand falling over his, resting on her shoulder.

"We were actually planning on leaving earlier today, then we ran into you," Ed explained as I met him at the middle of the stairs. "It was good to see you. And thanks for the tune-up." He shook his arm before descending.

"If you happen to run into Hohenheim, you make sure to give him that message from your mother, alright?" Granny reminded Ed.

"I will, I will," Ed called behind him with a wave. "I'll deck him first, though." I caught the mumblings under his breath and chuckled a moment.

"Wait, Ed," Winry said, rushing to the edge of the stairs. "I need to—"

"Lay low until the Promised Day passes. We're gonna stop them, Winry— and Al and Marina, and I'll be home before you know it. Have an apple pie waiting for us, okay?" Ed said, quirking a grin before he glanced over to me. I smiled; the cavern diminished into nothingness.

"You be safe, you hear?" she called with a smile. "And take care of Marina!"

"Right," he said. "And Elias?"

"What?" he groaned, obviously tired. He'd worked quite diligently on the translation, and I was sure he was still pretty emotionally tired. I knew I was after what we'd found.

"You owe me, remember?" Ed called over his shoulder. "So, take care of things here."

"Whatever, runt," Elias called, and Ed bristled.

He looked about ready to turn around, but he managed to keep moving forward. A little smile spread over my face, and I chuckled as we began on our way. We walked through the night until it became dawn, and soon enough, we reached a town called Kanema on the outskirts of Central. With each step, we walked closer and closer to the Promised Day.

"Wait, is that..." Ed trailed off, as I also recognized the blonde man. A local approached our group.

"You all know Mr. Ho?" he asked, and I rose a curious brow at the name, but we followed the young man up to Hohenheim, nonetheless. "Mr. Ho, you've got some company." The older blonde looked back at us curiously a moment before setting down his food, dusting off.

"Edward, I didn't think—"

He was cut short as Ed's metal fist collided harshly with his face, sending him across the dirt, kicking up dust. I gasped, covering my mouth in surprise, and then to suppress a laugh. He did say if he saw him again, the first thing he'd do was deck him— not that Hohenheim didn't deserve it. And if Ed was anything, he sure was a man of his word.

***

Man, oh, man! This chapter was a blast beyond belief to write. 'The King' by Sarah Kinsley was a huge inspiration for this chapter, and it's been living rent-free in my head since I found it. It was especially helpful cycling through Ed and Marina's complicated feelings overwhelming them. It was quite the challenge, especially when it came to Ed, but I hope it came across well! And Marina is Elias's niece! Woah! Some of you saw it coming, but I was still stoked to bring it to light. That scene made me feel warm when I was writing. But Marina is left voiceless thanks to paying her toll, complicating things for later down the line. She's probably going to take some time to get used to it. And we get a small glimpse into Father's extra plans! What is it? What's he doing? I'm excited to continue tying in all the hints I've laced into the story and see them unfold. It's funny, having thoughts months ago that are just now seeing the light of day. I've got a busy personal week coming up, so I've decided to take a break from uploading next week. The only other time I plan to take a break for the remaining duration of the story is the week of July tenth, since I'll be on vacation. I hope you guys enjoyed it, and I'll see you in two weeks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 4.6K 69
(Y/N) is a thief, plain and simple. running around with one real limb, stealing what she can find and trying not to die. One day, two alchemists, Edw...
149K 5.8K 63
No one would call Sonia an ordinary teenage girl. She has no family left to speak of, was born with strange psychic powers, and is an improving alche...
205 11 11
Shane tries her best to be a good kid and learn alchemy to make her parents proud. But after a shocking discovery her world is flipped upside down an...
94.1K 3.2K 40
Psst....yeah you, should check out my story. May be to your fancy 😁 -I don't own the characters or the pictures- Beware there may-CORRECTION- will b...