The Garden [G.BLYTHE]

strawbadoobee द्वारा

GILBERT BLYTHE X FEM .OC sometimes you have to learn to accept "It's Aurelie, thank you very much. Pronounce... अधिक

[00] AURELIE THOMPSON
[ACT ONE; LOSS
[01] WOODEN FENCE
[02] FIERY TEMPER
[03] R-I-V-E-T-I-N-G
[04] THE PETUNIA AND THE IRIS
[05] PUNISHER
[06] MISSABLE
[ACT TWO; DISTANCING
[07] NICE FOR A CHANGE
[08] INDEFINITELY
[09] SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
[10] THE ONE THING YOU DON'T HAVE
[11] TRINIDADIAN FLOWERS
[12] OPPOSITE ENDS, OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS
[13] RUNAWAY BRIDE
[14] ABLOOM, THORNY
[15] WATCHING WATER SLIP OFF FLOWERS
[ACT THREE; DECISIONS
[17] BUTTERCUP
[18] MATCHMAKERS OF AVONLEA
[19] SHORT MOMENT OF HAPPINESS
[20] I DO LOVE A TRAIN
[21] SETTLE ON SILENCE
[22] STARING CONTEST
[23] HE LOVES ME
[24] HE LOVES ME NOT
[25] STUPID AND CARELESS
[26] T-E-A-M
[27] JUST ONE THING
[28] I LOVE HIM
[29] DISTRACTIONS AND DISASTERS
[30] A WISH FULFILLED
WHAT IF...?

[16] THE MISS STACY TROUPE

3.2K 104 25
strawbadoobee द्वारा

'he had been violently confused by her real presence in the opposite inaccessible corner'

The only solution the Progressive Mothers had come up with in terms of teaching, was merging the young kids with the older ones. This certainly proved difficult for the older students, due to the lack of space and focus.

During lunch, Aurelie and Moody sat in their usual spot. Usually, Aurelie, would ramble on about something on her mind while Moody listened blindly. However, that lunch was Moody's time to shine. That was the first time Aurelie hadn't much to say, as she was too busy thinking of her last conversation with Gilbert.

"It's all my fault." Moody sighed. "If I wouldn't have dropped that light bulb, then Miss Stacy wouldn't have made a bad impression on the mothers, and then the fight with Cole and Billy wouldn't have been as bad." He worried.

"Well--"

"No! You don't understand, Aura. You are not painfully stupid to the point where--"

"Moody Spurgeon, if you would kindly listen to me." Aurelie interrupted. Moody sighed, looking to the girl. "If you want to bring her back, I heard Anne, Ruby, and Diana talking about it earlier. They must be in the ba--" Before Aurelie could finish her sentence, Moody dragged her by the arm to where the three girls discussed.

Aurelie and Moody heard Anne speak to Ruby and Diana, who were in debate. "The hero accepts the call to adventure. So, we have to find a way to convince the town to accept Miss Stacy and let her stay." Explained the redheaded girl.

Once the girls noticed that Moody and Aurelie had entered, Diana dismissed them. "Not now, guys." She sighed. Moody frowned. He looked to Aurelie for guidance, who motioned for him to speak once more.

"The town hall meeting is tomorrow night." Stated Ruby.

 "Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing." Anne encouraged. "Either way, I say we try."

Aurelie nudged Moody once again. "Whatever you're planning, we want to help." Moody finally spoke up. "Everything went wrong after I dropped the light bulb." He explained. Anne paused for a moment, gasping in realization. "I've got it." She looked to the others. "I know what we're going to do! Huddle up."

Moody and Aurelie took a seat in the circle. "Here's what has to happen tomorrow..."

***

Early in the morning, Aurelie caught up with Moody's horse and cart. She sat beside him as they went to pick up all the other girls along with them to make their way to Charlottetown.

"Alright. Everybody ready?" Asked Anne enthusiastically. 

"Yes?" Moody furrowed his eyebrows. 

"I can't tell if I'm scared or excited." Chuckled Diana. 

"We're going to get in so much trouble." Worried Ruby.

 "Only if we get caught." Aurelie smirked.

"What's our battle cry?" Inquired Anne. 

"What?" Moody questioned, unsure of what Anne meant. 

"No idea." Stated Ruby at the same time. 

Anne paused for a moment, then held out her hand. "Save Miss Stacy."

They all joined their hands in the middle, reciting the phrase. On their way to the train, they made sure to stop by Cole's farm. He approached them in confusion.

"Cole!" Exclaimed Aurelie. He furrowed his eyebrows.

 "Get in. We're going to Charlottetown." Informed Anne. 

"Now?" Questioned the boy.

 "Yes." Affirmed the redhead.

 "Why?" He continued.

"I'll tell you on the way. You're coming with us. You need to see Miss Barry. She'll have some advice for you, I'm sure of it." Anne urged.

 "You're driving there?" Puzzled Cole. 

"We're taking the train." Explained Diana. 

"I...don't have any money." Cole trailed off. 

"Neither do we." Stated Aurelie confidently.

"Then how--"

"It's a caper. It'll be fine." Assured Anne. 

"I'm already in enough trouble." Cole hesitated.

 "So how much worse could it get?" Anne pleaded. 

Cole sighed, reluctantly joining the group.

Once the troupe arrived at the train station, they hid behind a few bushes, waiting for the train inspections to be finished so they could hop into one of the freight cars.

"We're hopping a freight car?!" Whispered the alarmed Cole.

 "I can't breathe." Diana stressed. 

"We're all going to die." Added Ruby. 

Moody, wide-eyed, looked to Aurelie as if to confirm or deny Ruby's statement. With a silent chuckle, she shook her head.

"It'll be fine. People do it all the time. I read about it in a book." Anne rolled her eyes. 

"A book? Y-you've never done it?!" Moody gave Anne the same wide-eyed expression he gave Aurelie. Anne looked towards the open cart door. "How hard could it be?" She doubted. She peered towards the inspector, who was making his way off.

"Just...gotta get the timing right." She kept her eyes on the man. "I'll go first." 

The man entered his shack. "It'll be fine." She repeated, as if to convince herself. She stood up, running towards the cart.

"Hey, we shouldn't--" Hesitated Ruby, but stopped when Anne succeeded. Anne held up her hand to keep them in place, then peered over the edge, assuring no one could see them. When she was sure, she urged them to join her.

Diana stood up first, pulling the reluctant Ruby with her, who pleaded with her not to force it. Moody and Aurelie went together as well, except this time Moody was the worried one. Cole came after in a hurry, seeing as the inspector was back out. Just in time, everyone made it inside.

It was a success. They rode all the way to Charlottetown. Most of the ride consisted of Ruby sitting in the corner, worried that she might die. Diana comforted her. Aurelie comforted Moody, who was facing a similar crisis. Anne and Cole spoke calmly.

As soon as they slid open the door, Gilbert looked to them with a smirk. It seemed that he had caught them sneaking in on their way there. Aurelie gasped, her face going pale. 

"What...What are you doing here?" Aurelie inquired. 

"I figure I should ask you the same question." Gilbert furrowed his eyebrows.

Gilbert explained his story to Aurelie, and Aurelie did the same to him as they walked through the train station. The others stayed in back of them, having their own conversations. Aurelie understood now why Gilbert was speaking to his father not long ago. "I hope you find Sebastian." Aurelie spoke sympathetically.

"I hope he'll forgive me for being so selfish." Gilbert sighed.

 "Interesting. I was convinced Sebastian would be used to it by now." Teased Aurelie. The boy rolled his eyes with a smirk. 

"Hey, I'm sure you can make things right." Aurelie assured.

"Yeah?" Gilbert turned to her with a smile.

 "Well, who can't forgive the Gilbert Blythe." The girl joked.

 "Wow. You say it like I'm famous." Gilbert nodded slowly.

 "Infamous is more the word." Responded Aurelie. 

"Ah." Gilbert nodded.

"Well, good luck with your mission to save Miss Stacy." Gilbert mentioned. "I can't believe you hopped the freight." He added, still astonished. 

"Me neither, if I'm being honest." She stifled a laugh. "See you on the other side of the war. Don't die out there. Or do, I don't care-- but now you can't cause I'll feel bad if that was the last thing I said to you and I'd feel responsible for your death." Aurelie stopped walking as they had to split paths. 

"I'll try my very best. See you." Gilbert tipped his hat to her.

"You know Gilbert has a crush on you, right?" Cole stepped up beside Aurelie. Aurelie's lingering smile fell. "What? No, he doesn't." She defended. Cole was not convinced. "See you at the afternoon train." He smirked. 

"It's not true!" Repeated Aurelie as she watched him walk away.

"What's not true?" Wondered Diana. 

"Nothing." Aurelie sighed. "Cole was just being ridiculous. Let's go." Aurelie urged.

'The Miss Stacy Troupe' marched the town with confidence in their plan. They felt that nothing could possibly go wrong. However, it was true that to complete their plan, they needed money.

Each of them had brought objects from their home that they were willing to give away at the pawnbrokers. "I know you." Realized the pawn man upon looking at Anne. 

"Hello again." She raised her eyebrows.

 Everyone set down their bags of unwanted belongings on his desk.

"What's all this, then?" He inquired. Anne set down a pen. "Let's talk numbers." She stated confidently. The man chuckled.

***

It was a success. With the money they received, they were able to purchase a box full of light bulbs. Moody carried them with a smile.

 "Does anyone else feel as triumphant as I do?!" Anne exclaimed. Moody looked back at the group, failing to realize that he was about to trip over a loose wood plank.

Inevitably, he fell, dropping the fragile box of light bulbs and shattering them. While the girls were far more worried about him, he crawled to the box, frowning at the broken glass. Their triumph didn't last very long. Everything they worked for that day was wasted.

Aurelie set her hand down on Moody's shoulder, comforting the boy. "We can fix this." She assured. 

"No. We can't." Moody sobbed into her shoulder.

 "How about we go see Aunt Jo. Maybe she'll know what to do." Anne suggested.

With not many other options, 'The Miss Stacy Troupe' found themselves at the Barry home.

 "My, my, this is a dreadful turn of events." Commented Josephine as she looked at all their shameful expressions.

She set her hand down on Cole's shoulder. "What are you going to do?" He wondered. 

"I might be out of ideas." Anne admitted sadly. Aurelie leaned her head onto Moody's shoulder with a sigh. 

"But you're never out of ideas!" Cried out Ruby. Rollings cleared his throat, handing the girl a handkerchief.

"It's all my fault. Again." Frowned Moody. 

"It's not." Aurelie responded. 

"Is too." He countered. 

"Is not." She raised her eyebrows in frustration. 

"It was an accident." Spoke Diana in assurance. 

"My whole life is an accident." Moody shook his head.

"It's not." Aurelie stated calmly. 

"It is." Moody continued.

 "It is not!" Aurelie shouted. 

The two argued for a moment while Josephine made her way off to the side. Their argument was cut short when they noticed the room get slightly brighter. 

Josephine had turned on the electricity. "Rollings, do we have any ladders?" She inquired.

With Rollings' and Josephine's help, they gathered the light bulbs in the house. However, Moody was too afraid to touch any, so he mainly watched Aurelie.

Their way back home was certainly much easier now that they didn't have to hop the freight cart. Josephine was kind enough to present them with enough money for their train ride.

Aurelie held the box of light bulbs as if her life depended on it. She urged the others to enter the train first.

 "Here, I can take that." Gilbert reached for the box. 

"Thank you." Aurelie smiled. "Don't break anything, or I'll break you." She threatened.

"Noted." He brought the box inside. 

Anne stayed back, speaking with Cole while Aurelie followed after Gilbert.

Once the troupe noticed Anne come in alone with a tearful expression, they realized that Cole was not coming back. It hurt to wave him goodbye as the train engine began running.

At last, in the evening, everyone snuck into the town hall meeting with their light bulbs. They had to show the town how much Miss Stacy had taught them in her short time in Avonlea. They informed the entire class, and all who were willing to do it joined them.

Hidden upstairs, they set up the potatoes and wires as quickly as they could. They did not quite listen to the meeting, as they were far too focused. However, they did turn their heads when Miss Stacy entered the room. Nobody in the meeting expected her presence.

"Miss Stacy!" Shouted Mrs. Lynde. "If you don't mind, we're conducting a meeting!" 

Miss Stacy did not listen, and instead made her way forward.

 "I don't recall your presence being requested!" Added Mrs. Lynde.

"Indeed, my presence was not requested, but I feel I have a right to speak on my own behalf." Miss Stacy explained. Everyone grew silent, unsure of whether they wanted to banish her, or listen to her.

Rachel cleared her throat, taking her seat, allowing Miss Stacy to begin. "It would be easier on all of us if I left." She sighed. 

Aurelie frowned at this. She noticed her mother sitting beside Marilla Cuthbert, silent and expressionless as usual.

"You cannot imagine that I want to cause dissent in your community, or that I appreciate being accused of purposefully doing so." Miss Stacy turned to look at one side of the room. "I'm here tonight because I asked myself a question that I ask you now: What is the most important thing to focus on regarding your children's education?" She paced the room.

"Petty jealousy? Prejudice? Fear? The important question to ask yourself is: Are your children learning? I believe the answer is yes." Miss Stacy smiled to the town, who she now stood in front of.

"We have to hurry." Spoke Anne. On her command, everyone prepared to step out. Aurelie glanced at Gilbert. They maintained eye contact for just a moment, unsure of what to say. 

"Change is uncomfortable..." Continued Miss Stacy.

With a sigh, Aurelie looked down at the woman, then stood up, following the others. Gilbert did the same. 

"...because the future is unknown." Miss Stacy added wisely. "Yet, the future is riding in fast, like a train. And to the best of my ability, I am here to bring your children forward to meet it."

Despite their bias towards the woman, the town and council listened intently.

 "I understand my methods are unusual, but hands-on learning and active engagement have proven more effective than rote memorization. Why not encourage them to think for themselves?" Questioned the teacher.

"Why teach only what has come before? Recently, somebody dreamed the telegraph...electricity, a steam engine. Not that long ago, I bet train travel felt too fast, a dangerous innovation, but can you imagine your lives without it now?" Miss Stacy chuckled.

"Dreamers change the world. Curious minds propel us forward. My intention is to build strong students with bright futures, not just for them, but for everyone..." She paused. "That is why I'm here." There was silence for a moment, then there was murmuring.

Anne turned back to the class. "Now." She whispered. Pushing in through the doors, they marched in, holding up high their light bulbs and potatoes. They gathered in front of the town, bringing smiles to their parents' faces. Aurelie looked to her mom, who had a proud smile as well.

"What you've just witnessed is the effect of Miss Stacy's methods in action." Announced Anne. "She taught us about electricity, but she also showed us the spirit of enthusiasm and curiosity that we needed to make this happen." Anne turned to the teacher. "Miss Stacy is an inspiration." 

The woman returned the smile to the young girl.

"We learned more from her in a week than we learned in a year." Added Anne. "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn." She recited. "Different isn't bad, it's just not the same."

Once again, there was silence, with a few murmurs. Aurelie looked to her side, catching Gilbert's attention for the second time. She remained expressionless for just a moment. Somehow, she managed to crack a warm smile, which he copied.

Alice cleared her throat, standing up. "There's always...another way...to look at things." She trailed. She sat back down. Aurelie smiled at her mother proudly, and by then had looked away from Gilbert by then, but he kept his eyes on her for just a little longer.

"I returned to Avonlea because I needed what has always been here." Slowly, he turned away from her, and looked back to the town. "But why would I stay if I can't grow?" He faced Miss Stacy. "Miss Stacy supports my ambition to become a doctor. I believe that she is our chance to help us realize our dreams and become more than we are now."

Aurelie sighed, adjusting her posture. She spoke, "Many of my friends will find that I've been repeating this phrase many times as of late..." She began, staring at her mother. "But it's because now I truly understand what it means. It does no use watching water slowly slip off of flowers...that's not much hard work, is it?" She chuckled to herself. "And...we need hard work to finally make a difference--to allow new flowers to bloom." Aurelie stepped back, concluding her speech.

Marilla took a stand now, much to Mrs. Lynde's surprise. "As someone who lived without change for the bulk of my life...and then had great change thrust upon me..." She looked to Anne, who smiled brightly. "...I can attest that it is the only way to grow and learn." She resumed her seat.

Mrs. Lynde now stood, a heartfelt expression prominent in her features. "Let's put this to a vote." She began. "All in favor of keeping Miss Stacy?" It was clear that the majority, including Mrs. Lynde herself, raised their hands. To encourage others, the students all held up their light bulbs.

Once the vote was settled, the students laughed in excitement and relief. They hugged in celebration, amazed that their work had actually payed off. Aurelie pulled Moody into a tight hug, burying her face into his shoulder.

"Do you still think your life is a mistake?" She chuckled. 

"Yes, but I don't think Gilbert staring at you right now is a mistake." Replied the boy, noticing over Aurelie's shoulder that Gilbert watched the two of them. "You two do stare a lot. Maybe you should see an optometrist."

Aurelie spun around, taking in a deep breath upon noticing the boy. Slowly, she approached him, stopping just in front. Neither of them knew what to say, a regular occurrence. However, though she had no words, Aurelie knew what to do. She wrapped her arms around the boy, pulling him closer into an embrace.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

262K 5.6K 37
together, they brought warmth to everyone around them.
507K 16.6K 31
❝ there was a difference between living and existing, and for the first time, phoebe felt like she was living. and wasn't that a marvellous thing?❞ [...
312K 9.6K 31
Book One in 'The Twisted Series' Isabella, Group A, Subject A77, The Original a sixteen year old girl who was thrown into the glade to help the tria...
2.2M 114K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...