The Misunderstanding of Fate

由 kteedee

After her mother abandons them, Luna and her father find themselves moving across the country. Being the new... 更多

Coming Soon!
Chapter 1 - Fate's beginnings
Chapter 2 - First Meetings
Chapter 3 - Fire
Chapter 4 - Shopping Trips
Chapter 5 - Pizza Parties
Chapter 6 - Spilled Drinks
Chapter 7 - Reactions and Overreactions
Chapter 8 - Friendless
Chapter 9 - Shared Birthdays
Chapter 10 - Truths and Lies
Chapter 11 - Friendly Strangers
Chapter 12 - Short Friendships
Chapter 13 - Different Perspectives
Chapter 14 - Brewing Storms
Chapter 15 - Quick Friends
Chapter 16 - Deep Conversations
Chapter 17 - Meeting the Friends
Chapter 18 - Controlling Emotions
Chapter 19 - New Friends
Chapter 20 - Friendly Suggestions
Chapter 21 - Revelations
Chapter 22 - Festive Happiness
Chapter 23 - Christmas Day [Part 1]
Chapter 24 - Photographs and Protectiveness
Chapter 26 - Finally
Chapter 27 - Little Lies
Chapter 28 - New Years and New Feelings
Chapter 29 - New Years and New Friends
Chapter 30 - So It Goes
Chapter 31 - Jealousy, Jealousy
Chapter 32 - Reintroductions
Chapter 33 - Delusion and Doubts

Chapter 25 - Boxing Day Parties

340 8 12
由 kteedee

Cleaning.

    That's how we spend our Boxing Day morning. George has his music on throughout the house as we tidy the mess we made yesterday. The loud noise is welcomed as I think back to the text I received from my father at nine this morning saying 'Merry Christmas'. If I had any doubts about how he was spending his time, that message confirmed it. He didn't even know what day it was. I shake the thought from my mind as I place the mop back into the bucket and return to the kitchen.

    Despite the loud music, I am engulfed in his silence as I enter the room. He stands by the counter with a look of determination on his face that has me slightly confused. My confusion is quickly overtaken by something else, some unknown or unfamiliar emotion, as he reduces the distance between us. George's brown orbs scan my flushed face, from cleaning and from this surprising encounter, as I find anything else to look at - anything to make me less nervous. I'd been close to George before, hell I'd been close to other guys before, so why was I so unsettled? Why did George, and that look in his eyes, make me so nervous?

    Those always-warm hands rest just under my bra, slightly holding onto that area of my side to keep us close. The exposure from my risen top threatens to increase my flushed face but I keep my attention on the near wooden table. Anything to avoid those eyes. From the table, my eyes move over to a small bookcase in the corner of the room as I examine it thoroughly. On the bottom of the self are letters addressed to George. What's interesting is that there are more than a dozen with similar handwritten addresses on them. The G in his name is slightly curled on each of the letters that I can see. Why hadn't he opened them? Who were they from? As I look closer, I see that all of the ones I can see have a tiny heart after his name. Now I really am interested and not just in order to avoid whatever was happening in front of me.

    With furrowed eyebrows, I look back at the mystery in front of me. He too seems startled by the changing atmosphere as his eyes trail back to where mine once were. I can feel his body stiffen and his muscles tighten when he realises what I was looking at. I could either ignore the new elephant in the room, pretend I hadn't noticed how uptight he suddenly was, or I could face this head on. Honestly, I should go for option one because, well, it's us. But... I want that to change. If things between us were evolving, surely that meant our conversations had to evolve with it.

    "Who are those from? Why haven't you opened them?" I offer him a small smile to defuse the tension.

    George exhales before he faces me again, "They're from a... an old friend. Someone I don't really want to be in contact with anymore."

    I debate how far to push him. I wanted to know more but I should be thankful he even told me that. "Why... Why don't you just read them and then decide?"

    "I love your positive attitude," he means that and it's shocking to me, "but there's nothing in those envelopes that can change my mind about our relationship. Or lack of."

    "Okay..." I pause, "Why don't you get rid of them, then?"

    George pulls us closer, he looks and feels a little more relaxed now, "I might not want to read them now but, I don't know, if something ever happens... I'll be grateful that I kept them. Besides, maybe in a year I will throw them. But right now that's not a decision I can be completely sure of."

    That made sense. It's still surprising to me how much sense this bad boy made. Before I get a chance to ask even more question, I hear his phone vibrate on the counter as the music momentarily pauses. George's sigh is audible over the music and I almost giggle at how fed up he looks. I pat his chest, come on, it says.

    Leaning against the counter, we both check his phone. Before he checks his messages, George lowers the music so that it's a nice, soft sound in the background. It seems to defuse any remaining tension and I'm thankful for the decision. At the top of his messages is a text from Elliot:

    Party at mine tonight... Come. Bring Luna.

    George scoffs at his screen. Without even asking me, he types 'not interested' into the bar and clicks send. Instantly, a FaceTime call pops up. Taking the initiative, I click accept while smiling at a rather frustrated looking George.

    "Luna!"

    Okay, I had accepted the call to annoy George but now I was embarrassed at the sudden attention. "Hi," I mumble. "George is being grumpy."

    Said grumpy man rolls his eyes at me before turning to the camera, "I'm not interested."

    "Why?" Elliot and I ask at the same time. Elliot's eyes widen at my question, George's eyes widen at my question, my eyes widen at my question.

    "Do you want to come Luna?" Elliot asks, smirking, "You don't have to come with the grump."

    George groans, "Sweetheart, tell him you don't want to go to his shit party."

    Elliot gasps while I smile, "I don't want to lie to your friends, George."

    His eyes widen at my reply, "You want to go to a party... with my friends? And numerous other people? On Boxing Day?"

    I shrug, "It could be fun. Besides, we haven't left the house since before Christmas Eve."

    Elliot claps, "It's decided. You're coming. George, you can stay at home! That way—"

    "Get fucked." My shoulder nudges his in attempt to curb his aggression. "If she's there, I'm there."

    "Great," Elliot chirps like he'd expect nothing else, "Starts at 8. Come early so we can say hi to our little Luna before you take all of her attention."

    Not offering an answer, George hangs up. He tilts his head to face me and gives me a look that says... What was that?

    "I think it'll be fun," my excitement is audible and I see his eyes soften, "we'll have a few drinks, meet a few people. Plus, I can spend some time with your friends outside of school."

    "Sweetheart," his hand finds the back of my neck, "if you want to drink, let's go get some alcohol. If you want to spend time with my friends, let's call them over."

    My own hand rests on his arm that hangs between us, "I haven't been to a party since moving here. It just seemed like a fun idea but if you're not into it—"

    "We're going."

    "But—"

    "We're going, sweetheart."

    I jump into his arms, wrapping mine around his neck. "Okay, so. We need to get our outfits organised. We need to get some alcohol to take. Ooh! We should order a taxi ready to bring us home."

    His eyebrows have risen higher than I've ever seen them, "First, feel free to jump on me anytime. Secondly, slow down - we have hours," his hands travel down my spine to the top of my bottom, "Finally, I love it when you call this home."

    A blush rises on my cheeks as I take in everything he just said. For me, this place was home. At least for right now. This was the only place where I felt safe and comfortable and I was surrounded by a warm feeling. Plus, George felt like home.

    When we first enter the house, the excitement I once felt has disappeared into a nervous flutter. There's music on, cups scattered around the living room and kitchen, and the boys are playing beer pong merrily in the garden. Spotting us, they leave their game to engulf me in a hug. Despite their efforts, George refuses to get even a little close to each of them. He even pushes their hands from me after a moment while mumbling about damn boys and their damn hands.

    In seconds, I have a drink in my hand and I'm being shown where to find their hidden stash. I'm told to only get my drinks from here - just in case - and to let any of them know when I want a refill. I try to step away from George to give him some space to spend time with his friends and to get to know them properly but he's not having that. While I play beer pong, I can feel his body standing close behind mine. His hands brush over my hips when I do well and run down my back when I miss my shot.

    As time goes on, my team mates get braver with alcohol and engulf me in hugs when I actually land a shot. Elliot talks into my ear, often saying random things or pointing at other people in the garden to tell me who they are, with his arm around my shoulder. When he notices my drink is empty, he motions for someone to refill my cup. Other people join in the game and I finally take in how much the house has filled up. Although there's a lot of people, it doesn't look like those parties you hear about in stories. Here, people are talking to each other, laughing with strangers, playing games, and having fun. It's not just a house filled with strangers dancing to a song they don't like.

    "So," Elliot begins, "What's going on with you and George?"

    My head turns quickly to see his smirk, "What do you mean?"

    When he drinks, I drink. I feel I may need it. "You're spending a lot of time together. We barely see him anymore."

    I cringe, "Sorry?"

    Elliot laughs at my scrunched face, pinching my nose slightly, "That's not what I mean. It's nice to see him - and you - so happy."

    I cannot stop the flush that rises once again on my cheeks. Instantly, he spots it and his smirk becomes a very wide, very smug grin. "And that look tells me everything I need to know."

    Before I get the chance to question him, an arm wraps around my waist pulling me straight into a familiar chest. Elliot's grin, if possible, widens so we can see nearly all of his teeth.

    "Why is she red? What did you do?" I can smell the alcohol coming from George and I wonder if I've drunk as much as him, "Princess, has he upset you?"

    Elliot's hand reaches forward to pinch my cheek, "We have just been chatting."

    "Stop touching her."

    I giggle at the whole interaction. "I like him, George."

    His arms tighten around my waist as he rests a hand on my stomach. I feel his breath on my neck as he whispers in my ear, "Not as much as you like me though. Right?"

    I shake my head while turning around in his hold, "No. Not as much as you, honey."

    His eyes shine at that. When his mouth opens to reply, Elliot joins us in our embrace with his hands wrapped around both of our necks.

    "Let's play Never Have I Ever."

    "No," George and I say at the same time. "Let's play something else."

    Elliot looks at his friend with a thoughtful eye, "Like what?"

    "I don't know, I didn't suggest to play a game in the first place."

    My head leans against George's shoulder as they bicker back and forth about what to play. I watch as George's other friends join us, taking interest in their debate.

    "What about a boat race?" Lewis suggests.

    Wanting this conversation to be over, I chime in, "Sounds fun. Let's play that."

    "You have no idea what that is. Do you?"

    I shake my head at Elliot but shrug, it couldn't be that hard.

    Okay, it was a little hard. As I down my losing shot, I realise that I massively underestimated how much alcohol I would consume tonight. Once I'm finished with my shot, I wince watching George and Lewis begin their race. Elliot, who I realise is the friendliest of George's friends, stands close by my side.

    "Let's go again. I really think you can beat me next time."

    In my tipsy state, I don't hold back my excited giggle. We high five, childishly, and I take in this moment. I'm happy in a room full of nearly-strangers bonding with my best friend's best friends.

    "You're going again?" George asks as the next line of drinks are made. Lewis finishes his shot before giving me a high-five. "If I have to carry you home tonight sweetheart..."

    "Fuck off," Elliot interrupts, "You'd love that."

    "True." George's eyes are droopy with alcohol but filled with amusement. Just before my race begins, he does something he's never done before. I feel his lips lightly touch my forehead as he wishes me luck. It's like I'm competing in the Olympics.

    I don't know if it's the adrenaline from the kiss, the happiness in my heart, or if Elliot purposefully slows down but I manage to win the race. As Elliot downs a shot, George lifts me to spin us around. I laugh, smiling down at him, until he stops and lowers me back to the floor.

    "Uh oh," We hear. "Incoming."

    At first, my smile remains as I wonder if someone is going to throw up. Well, not me! Suckers. However, when I see how serious Lewis looks, I know that's not the case. In sync, George and I turn towards the door of the kitchen. There, smiling coldly, is Kate.

    Her voice enters the room and cuts through the silence, "Hi, boys."

    Oh. I look away, determined not to let this moment take away from how much I'm enjoying this party.

    "Can we help you? Did you need a drink?" Elliot asks. The tension is making me feel tense, filling me with a slight nervous energy.

    I haven't looked at her again but, from her voice, I can tell that she's moved closer. I hear a bottle opening and liquid being poured as she replies, "I'm perfectly capable of finding my own alcohol. I came to say hi to Luna, actually."

    George's arms tighten at my waist as he scoffs. Before he gets the chance to reply, I can sense it's going to be a harsh one, I paint on the fakest smile I can muster and mutter, "Hi. Are you enjoying the party?"

    Kate's eyes widen in shock, "I am. Although, I have been looking for the eye candy for a while but couldn't find it. It seems you were keeping them all to yourself."

    Lewis scoffs and mutters something I can't hear under his breath. The other boys are refilling the boat race glasses as they pay her no attention. Elliot asks Dom if he wants to race against him this time. They've truly tapped out of the conversation. As for me, I have no idea how to reply to that. Was that supposed to... annoy me?

    "Well," I pause awkwardly, "Enjoy your night."

    I can feel George laughing rather than hear him. He probably doesn't want to give her the satisfaction of seeing him laughing at me. My elbow finds his stomach as I try to remain friendly.

    "George," Kate begins. The laughter dissipates into thin air at her voice. "Care to join me for a drink? Or... to find a spare room? I've heard you enjoy that."

---------------

I had a whole other chapter planned for this one but I wanted to include something with George's friends. I've had to split this in half because there's so much going on in the party and so many people to include.

Because this is a romance book, I wanted the focus to always be on our main characters but I love when a book has a loveable secondary character which is what I envision for Elliot. I'm not sure where the story will take him or how to include him more often than I originally did but I'm going to try!

Do you like Elliot?

Also! I am aware that this book is very cliche, it's supposed to be, but I don't intend for the female characters to be so catty or argumentative. Kate's purpose in the book is to highlight the difficulties that can come with friendships but there are going to be plenty of other female characters that are kind and are friendly towards other women.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

220K 7.8K 64
"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to see you with him or that I'm still not cra...
194K 4.4K 24
~ 𝘐 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘐𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘮 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘪𝘳𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘸𝘰𝘳�...
33.5K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...
32.5K 2.1K 29
♡ Featured on Stories Undiscovered ♡ ♡ Featured on Teen Fiction ♡ "All it took was one smile, that damned smile, and I found myself falling in love w...