Elysium | Zhong Chenle

By rainygal_16

"You've all studied Greek mythology at some point in your life. Ever wondered why it was so important?" "They... More

➶characters
➶1
➶2
➶3
➶4
➶5
➶6
➶7
➶8
➶9
➶10
➶11
➶➶➶
➶12
➶13
➶14
➶15
➶16
➶17
➶18
➶19
➶21
➶22
➶23
➶24
➶ 25
➶26
➶27
➶28

➶20

343 19 17
By rainygal_16

➶➶➶
"I wanna tell you love to you
So no one can change it
That's what I've decided, love you 24/7
My protagonist"
- Irreplaceable, NCT Dream
➶➶➶

April stood in the middle of the clearing, trees with targets painted on them all around her. A beautifully carved bow sat in her right hand, as if it was meant to fit there. A quiver, or basically a pouch, perched on the ground next to it, arrows spilling out of them. Sunlight dappled through the trees, shadows shaped like leaves covering the grass she stood on, but also illuminating the targets in front of her.

But it was just a nice gift from her father, right? It wasn't like he actually expected April to use it or anything-

"So, I'll start by teaching you the proper stance," Prometheus said, still standing behind her. "If we're lucky, most of this will come naturally to you, as you are Apollo's daughter."

"Right," she replied, a little out of it. "He's the Archer-god or something."

Prometheus ignored her comment and unenthusiastic tone, instead moving closer to give her instructions.

"Okay stand with your shoulders perpendicular to your target," he said.

"Dude, what?" April asked, "Instruction manuals aren't my strong suit."

Prometheus blinked as he stood in silence for a minute. Centuries of living and not a single soul had ever addressed him as dude.

"Stand sideways so that your left shoulder is facing the target you're aiming at," he said, rephrasing and adding a couple more details.

"Nice," she said, "wait, left hand? You know I'm right handed?"

"Yes," Prometheus said, "You hold the bow with your non-dominant hand, but we'll get to that as soon as you get your stance down."

April nodded, positioning her body as he told her. It felt a little weird, even after he adjusted her feet to where they were supposed to be (which was roughly shoulder length apart and firmly into the ground).

"I've seen people in movies jump all over the place and shoot arrows accurately," she said, "Is my feet positioning really that important?"

"Well, with enough practice it should become automatic for you, and then maybe that will be possible?" Prometheus said, not entirely sure. "But in any case, your shots will be much better with your feet firmly on the ground."

April grumbled, but listened to what he said, fumbling around a bit until she felt like her feet were two tree trunks pushing out of the dirt.

"Okay," Prometheus said, "See this little part that sticks out? Put the front of the arrow on top of it, like it's resting there."

April did as he asked, but as soon as the arrow was in her hand it was like she no longer needed instructions. The arrow was made of firm wood, the tip a sharp metal that could cut through anybody in a flash, but the whole weapon felt oddly soft to April.

A shoot of warmth shot up her fingers, a type of warmth that she'd come to recognize lately.

She notched the front of the arrow like Prometheus had said, grabbing the string at the back of the bow with three of her fingers, the end of the arrow stuck between her pointer and middle finger. She barely realized it, but his voice went silent behind her, letting nothing but her instincts carry her.

April's dominant eye could almost see right through the smooth wood of the bow, focusing on nothing but the top of the arrow and the roughly drawn bullseye in front of her. Her feet subconsciously moved into a more natural position, her eye squinting slightly.

She released.

The back string shot forward, the arrow traveling with it and gliding in a straight path. A clunking sound reverberated through the forest as the arrow sunk into the tree, the sun peeking out of the clouds for a brief moment.

April brought the bow down to her side, blinking rapidly as she was still a little dazed. Prometheus clapped softly next to her, completely snapping her out of it.

"Looks like your a natural," he said, "just like we hoped."

April tilted her head to the side, staring at the position of her arrow on the tree. It was on the target, just at the very bottom, the farthest away from the center point that it could've possible been at.

"You sure?" she asked.

"Yes," Prometheus said, patting her back. "Even the world's naturals can practice to become even better. And be assured, hitting the target at all on your first try is a miracle. Let's go at it again, in this case especially, practice makes perfect."

"I hate that phrase," April muttered, but she was already preparing another arrow, addicted to the feel of letting an arrow fly.

➶➶➶

By the time they started headed back towards the warehouse, April's arms ached, the shape of the bow engraved into her hand and the sound of the arrow whooshing stuck fast in her ears.

And it wasn't like she had started getting any better either, sure the arrow had come closer to the bullseye, but it was completely random and not because of her own aim.

"This is pointless," she said, stomping her way through the forest. "I'm not Katniss Everdeen, for Christ's sake."

"No, but you are Apollo's daughter," Prometheus clarified, not getting it.

"Have you ever read the Hunger Games?" April asked, "Or watched the movies?"

"I have not," Prometheus replied, becoming used to the casual way April spoke to him. "Or any other movies, for that matter."

April stopped walking, gaping at him. The bow was slung over her shoulder, the quiver of arrows hanging off her other shoulder. In the middle of the green forest, with a couple leaves stuck in her hair, she did look a bit like Katniss Everdeen.

"What?" Prometheus asked, "We're going to be late if we don't keep going."

April shook her head, walking behind him.

"It's just...a billion years, maybe more, and you haven't watched a movie?" she stated, "That's weird, man."

"Well, I do have other things to busy myself with," he explained, "and we don't exactly have televisions on Olympus."

"You talk like an old man," April pointed out, Prometheus slightly grimacing. "And I guess you are one, really. Anyways, didn't you come down to live with the mortals billions of years ago? Why are you back up on Olympus now?"

"As you can see, I still prefer you mortals over the gods of Olympus," he said, "but most mortals don't remember me anymore. It's not a huge issue, since I have to travel around in human form anyway, but I'll always feel set apart from the rest down here now. Back then, the culture centered around me, now the culture veers rapidly away from me. I feel much more at home while I'm in Olympus, which is...slightly disturbing.

"I have my own place separate from everyone else up there, though. Especially Zeus. It's a bit awkward to be around him when he sent an eagle to pluck out my guts every day."

April laughed, Prometheus smiling down at her.

"That sort of makes sense," she said, "Everyone feels like that sometimes. I guess you're just going through your teenager phase a billion years late."

"Uhm sure."

The two of them reached the warehouse, opening the doors to the sound of excited conversations. Most people had already come back already, April spotting Renjun, Jaemin, Jeno, and Jisung standing somewhere towards the back. She noted in the back of her mind that Chenle hadn't come back yet, but didn't really acknowledge the thought.

"You can go," Prometheus said, noticing her lingering by his side. "I have to do adult things anyway."

April patted his shoulder, running over to them, while he walked to the front of the warehouse, joining the other council members.

"Hey guys!" she said, jumping onto Jisung in a hug.

He complained a bit, but still hugged her back.

Such a kid, she thought, ruffling his hair.

"A bow and arrows?" Renjun said, his eyes practically glowing. "Is your special skill archery?"

"I'm not sure you could call it that," she said, "but sure. I'm much more interested in you guys, though."

"Oh my god," Jisung said, suddenly becoming excited. "I apparently can make plants grow with music? And influence emotions and stuff? Pan was with me. Anyway, I knew not signing up for band was a good idea, for reasons other than the financial cost."

"Yeah, that would have been...awkward," April laughed.

One by one, they all went over their "special skills" or the abilities their parents had left them with. Like Jisung had said, he had a special affinity with music and nature, more so music that somehow related to nature. Jeno could run really fast, courtesy to his mother Iris being a messenger-goddess. He could also utilize a rainbow's light to his advantage, which sounded really stupid, but could actually blind people and create illusions. Renjun, whose father was Charon, the boatman of the dead, who could basically use extreme blackmail to get corpses and ghosts to help him in any way. And finally, Jaemin, whose father was Eros, the god of love, could make someone do whatever he wanted with a single moment of eye contact.

April wasn't sure what Jaemin had been practicing the entire time, and she didn't really want to find out. Same with Renjun, actually.

The door opened and closed, the last person to come back finally entering. April turned around, noticing Chenle walking in with Mark right beside him. The two were talking, and she saw Chenle actually laughing, rather than having the same scowl imprinted on his face.

"Yeah, he's actually quite loud once you get to know him," Jisung said, "He has his walls built up, but once you knock them down he's not that bad."

He caught her eye contact and his smile immediately turned right back into a frown. It was quite touching, really, knowing you mean that much to someone.

"What the fuck you looking at?" he asked, scowling.

"A clown," April said, "A stupid clown."

She stuck her tongue out, while Chenle just blinked, not sure what to say back to that.

"What are you, five?" he asked.

"No, just a demigod," she replied.

She wasn't too happy about the fact that she was apparently so powerful that she deserved to die, but of course she would use it against Chenle.

"Oh shut up," he said, "I don't think demigods would get leaves in their hair while training."

April sputtered, having forgotten they were there. She quickly brushed them out, swearing under her breath as her cheeks reddened from embarrassment.

Chenle just smirked.

"You two...chill," Mark said, "You'll be back on the buses in a second, and then you can go home."

Mark walked away, Chenle about to do the same, before he turned around with a way too satisfied expression on his face.

"Oh yeah," he said, "See you at school tomorrow."

April felt like screaming.

They're so cute...the ideal couple really 🥰🥰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 9.7K 35
when death calls, will you answer it? ▬▬ [trigger warning! contains certain topics: abuse, suicide, death, self-harm, and murder] status: comp...
5.9K 348 37
↭ Prequel to Whisper A Zombie Apocalypse AU "Why did you scream you idiot?!" "You try not screaming when something grabs your leg, you mother-" Trigg...
130K 5.2K 71
You are the Avatar but you must keep it a secret. ============================= NCT x Reader (OC) Fanfiction ============================= TW : viol...
74.4K 4.2K 55
sequel to home › jaemin! ❝when does this all end?❞ ꒰ there's a new girl in town. and she brings many secrets with her. will the group be able to unco...