Narnia's Shadow // Peter Peve...

By TrutherReal

She was a girl from inside the wardrobe. He was a boy from outside the wardrobe. ~~~~ "You're joking?" I scof... More

Cast
Playlist
Prologue
Our Last Hope
Trust
Anger and Frustration
A Blush
Wish Granted
My Prophecy
Sacrifice
Between Life and Death
Kissed By An Angel
What is Love?
Love Is... Choosing You
Gone
Epilogue
BOOK 2

Never Be One of Them

216 6 0
By TrutherReal

It was break of dawn as we walked closer and closer to the river that we have to cross. My favorite time of day. The way the sun would rise up after the haunting of the night. Red, oranges, and pick mixing beautifully amongst the clouds. Or the birds chirping to wake us up.

I think the sun-rise is what keeps me going. To look at it and think that maybe someone else is looking at it too. Maybe my family is looking at it. There are bad days where I wonder if they miss me as much as I miss them. If I have a brother or sister; if they are older or younger than me. If I look like my father or my mother. How they were. If they even know that I am gone.

After, Peter went to sleep last night, the thought that they arrived here from War Drobe is a mere childishly thing to say! But, the more I thought, the more 'what ifs' came. What if, I can see my family again? What if, this is my chance to be with them? But than the faces of the Beavers, of Tumnus,.... Of Aslan came to mind and I immediately threw it all away. I couldn't possibly think about leaving them for some people that probably didn't even want me.

Aslan has told me time and time again that I was human. No matter how much I would call myself a Narnian. I knew, that deep down, I will never be one of them. But I still hoped.

—————————————

I sighed when we reached the cliff that overlooked the river. My hood was down, revealing my face to the cold breeze. My cloak was pinned together with the pendant of Aslan; it was red in the background to make the golden lion show itself to others.

"Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river." I told them, gesturing to the icy river that used to be so blue that you could see your reflection in it (at least that is what Tumnus told me).

"River?" Peter asked.

"Oh, the river's been frozen for a hundred years." Mrs. Beaver gave him some relief. But he still said;

"It's so far!" I wanted to hit him on the back of his head at his complain. If he was going to complain over a simple river how he going to react leading an army against the White Witch?

"It's the world, My King. What did you expect? For it to be small?" I retorted, turning around to walk down the cliff.

"Smaller," I heard Susan mutter. I didn't stay long enough to hear if she said anything else.

Lucy was standing there looking around in awe. Her wide, hazel eyes were quite innocent. It saddens me that a child her age is caught in the brick of war. If only she came back when there was no more concern for battle. But the darn prophecy had written two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve. The problem is that one of the Sons of Adam was in the hands of the White Witch — the same Witch that he is supposed to be battling against. And, the youngest Daughter of Eve is eight.

I was walking behind the group, just in case any danger were to lerk out of no where. The Beavers were in front, leading the way to the camp. The prophecy only says a battle is to occur but it never once says when.

I saw Peter playing with Lucy, making her giggle and laugh. It softens me to know that he is doing it to distract her. To keep her from growing up too fast. I rolled my eyes when Mr. Beaver, yet again, shouts over his shoulders for us to hurry up.

We were already halfway across the lake, when Mr. Beaver shouted, again, "Come on, humans! While we're still young!"

Peter bends over as Lucy climbs onto his back.

"If he tells us to hurry one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a hat." Peter jokes.

"He is only enjoying it because he knows that I am in the back." I commented making them chuckle.

"Hurry up! Come on!" I furrowed my eyebrows as he screamed louder, almost desperate.

"He is getting a little bossy." Lucy added.

"No! Behind you!" Mrs. Beaver yelled pointing behind us. "It's her!"

"Run! Run!"

My eyes widen as I heard the sleigh bells along with the sound of hooves. Immediately, I grabbed my bow from my back and pushed Susan to hurry up. Peter put Lucy down, grabbing her and Susan's hand, running . Peter kept shouting at us to run.

"Quick to the woods!" I ordered. Not ignoring them, like he usually does, Mr. Beaver ran to the other end of the lake and into the frosty woods.

"Hurry!" Peter said. If we weren't running, I would have told him, 'who was the bossy one now.'

Mr. Beaver was waiting for us beside a little hill. Good. He remembered the plan if we were to ever cross the river and if anyone were to be following us to hide into the cave that was hidden beneath the snow.

"Inside! Dive! Dive!"

I pushed the Royals in first, then the Beavers, lastly I jumped in. Without hesitation, I pulled back the string of my bow. I pointed the arrow in front of us. Ready to fire if anything were to surprise us. I placed myself in front of everyone — Narnia would be forever succumb to ice if something were to happen to the Majesties and it would be my fault. So, I rather die fighting. Because, to die a warrior's death is an honor.

I tensed as the sleigh bells stopped right behind us. And the animals huffed and puffed from running. I narrowed my eyes preparing to attack. Lucy was whimpering behind Peter's hand. His other in front of Susan.

The snow crunched beneath the Witch's feet as it got closer and closer. Her large — wait? Large? The White Witch doesn't have a huge body frame unless she was wearing her overly-sized dresses. I slowly raised my bow higher as snow fell in front of us.

"Maybe she's gone." Lucy mumbled quietly. The shadow hasn't been seen nor have I heard any crunch.

"I'll go look," I immediately said getting ready to get out of the small cave.

"No!" Mr. Beaver whisper-shouted grabbing hold of my cloak to stop me from going out. "You're worth nothing to Narnia dead!"

"Well, neither are you, Beaver."Mrs. Beaver told her husband, frightened that something will happen to him. But nothing will because that is why I am here. To protect them.

Gently, he takes her paws in his, "Thanks sweetheart."

"That is why I must go," I reminded him. I gestured toward his wife, "You have a wife. I have nothing left." I got ready to leave. "Protect Your Majesties all the way to the camp. I want them away from danger."

"I will tell your Father what you did today." Mr. Beaver said quietly. I almost hesitated but recovered by glancing over my shoulder to see Susan and Lucy staring at me with wide, scared eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver clenching each other tightly. Finally, my eyes met Peter's who looked back at me with wide eyes of concern and hidden fear.

"For Narnia." I told them before scrambling up. I had my arrow pointed at the person. But before I could let it go a booming chuckle made me lower my bow immediately.

My eyes widen in shock at the towering man in front of me. He was wearing his usual red coat. His hair had gotten longer, along with his beard. But the white has never changed and that brought comfort to me. The sun glowed behind him, masking his face but I knew who it was just by the red coat.

"Why, look how much you've grown, Natasha." He said.

I smiled, "Father Christmas," I greeted. I walked up to him, giving him a hug to which he gladly returned. I relaxed into the hug, always loved the feeling of Father Christmas' hugs. It made me feel safe, warm, at home.

Pulling away, I excitedly ran back to the small cave. I jumped down facing the others who jumped in fright, surprised to see me smiling. Perhaps it was because I have never smiled so bright before.

"Well, come out! I hope you've all been good 'cause there's someone here to see you!" I held out a hand for anyone to grab. Watching as they all look at each other, curious at the meaning of my words.

Lucy was the first to emerge out of the cave. Gasping at the sight of Father Christmas who laughed happily. She slowly walked closer. Peter and Susan were to gobsmacked to move, I nudged them forward.

"Merry Christmas, sir." Lucy politely said.

"It certainly is, Lucy, since you have arrived."

Susan muttered something in disbelief, rubbing her hand to her temple as if this was all a dream. If it were, the White Witch would have been defeated a long time ago.

"We thought you were the Witch." Peter said. Father Christmas chuckled softly.

"Yes, yes, I'm sorry about that, but," He apologized lifting a finger towards his sleigh. "In my defense, I have been doing one of these longer than the Witch."

"I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia." Susan commented. The large man beside me nodded in agreement.

"No. Not for a long time." He said sadly before looking back up at the three prophecies with something that I never thought I would see again. "But the hope that you have brought, Your Majesties, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still, I dare say you could be with these." We all tilted our heads to the side before Lucy cheered excitedly, jumping up and down in glee at the huge, brown sake that was pulled from the back of his sleigh.

"Presents!" Lucy ran up to him trying to peek into the bag.

I nearly gasped at the cordial that was filled with red liquid. I have only thought of the flower to be a legend but seeing it now in the hands of the BB child is beyond anything. I can understand why he would give Lucy such a gift.

"The juice of the fire-flower. One drop will cure any injury." He explains. While Lucy was in awe of the gift, Father Christmas reached into his bag pulling out a beautiful red leather pouch that had a strap to wrap around her waist —and to clip the cordial to her belt — inside was a dagger with a red hilt and at the end was the head of a lion. Of Aslan. "And though I hope you never have to use it..." He passed her the dagger carefully.

"Thank you, sir, but," Lucy marveled the dagger in determination. To show that she wasn't afraid, "I think I could be brave enough."

Father Christmas laughed, straightening up. "I'm sure you could. But battles are ugly affairs." I couldn't help but agree. He beckoned Susan next. "Susan," He said. She stepped forward. Father Christmas hands her a bow and a quiver of arrows. They were quite beautiful. The bow was curved from the strongest, most oldest tree in Narnia. The bag was white with a strop to hang over her shoulder with carvings on both ends. The fletching was red. The arrows were made of the same wood as the bow. "Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss."

"What happened to 'battles are ugly affairs'?" Susan teased but it brought no smile to his face.

"Though you don't seem to have a problem making yourself heard," He said, presenting her an ivory horn. The end had the carving of a lion opening His mouth; presenting almost a roar, "blow on this horn and wherever you are, help will come."

"Thanks."

Susan steps back so Peter could step forward in her place. Father Christmas has already taken out a silver shield with red Lion in the middle and details surrounding it. The shield glistening in the suddenly bright sun. With the shield in hand, he gave Peter a sword that was in its scabbard. The hilt was dark red, the same red as the shield. Peter draws the sword out, marveling in the shiny silver, listening to Father Christmas' words.

"Peter. The time to use these may be near at hand." He warned.

"Thank you, sir." Peter nodded. I stared at them, who only moments ago looked like children but as they carried their weapons... it changed. They now look like the prophecy — the true saviors of Narnia. They are now the future of all of Narnia.

"Natasha," Father Christmas turned to me. My eyes widen just a tad bit, surprised that he called for me. I thought he was only here for the Majesties. "I would have your gift as well... but that gift is waiting in Aslan's camp as only He can give it to you." Gently, he clasped his hand on my shoulder. "He can give it to you and He can take it away."

I nodded at the hidden message staring at the ground. Father Christmas turned to the rest who were staring at me in confusion.

"These are tools, not toys. Bear them well and wisely." Father Christmas climbed back into his sleigh with a smile. "Now, I must be off. Winter is almost over, and things do pile up when you're been gone a hundred years." Grabbing the reins, ushering the reindeer's away he shouted, "Long live Aslan! And Merry Christmas!

"Merry Christmas!"

"Bye, sir! See you next year!

"Goodbye!"

We all shouted, waving as the old man got smaller and smaller from view. But I didn't bother to listen, thinking over his words. "Winter is almost over," he had said. I snapped my head up almost hearing the creaks coming from underneath the frozen river.

"We need to leave right away." I told them. They looked over at me in confusion. "He said, 'winter was almost over'. You know what that means?" I asked. It seemed to have dawned on Peter first.

"No more ice."

I nodded in confirmation. Without saying anything else, I started walking again, leading the group this time.

——————————

I looked down at the — already melting — waterfall. Chunks of ice was floating away as the current seemed to have picked up speed. Like, it didn't want us to accomplish our mission. My mission. Knowing that our time was limited I started to slide down to make our way to the bank to walk across before we are stranded.

"We need to cross, now!" I shouted back at them over the cracking and rumbling of ice.

"Don't beaver make dams?" Lucy asked the Beavers.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver said.

"Come on!"

"Wait! Will you just think about this for a minute?" Susan said, I nearly groaned when she grabbed Peter's arm to stop him from climbing down. I helped Lucy and the Beavers jump the last steps. As the two older siblings argued.

"We don't have a minute."

"I'm just trying to be realistic." She said, defending herself.

"No, you're trying to be smart." Peter started climbing down again. "As usual."

I looked away, not waiting to see if she was going to follow us anymore. My ears twitched at the howls, letting me know that the wolves weren't that far away.

"We have to hurry." I thought. "I don't know how far they are behind."

I cursed under my breath as the water bursts out of the cracks form beneath my feet. I'm not that big.

"Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver offered. Sighing, I reluctantly allowed him to go forward. I watched as he tested out the thinning ice with his tail. Searching for the strongest trail for us to follow.

Mrs. Beaver gasped as a couple of cracks appeared underneath her husband. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?"

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last." He answered before muttering, "Especially with your cooking."

Slowly, I gripped the person behind me hand to pull them along as I start to follow Mr. Beaver's lead.

"If Mum knew what we were doing—" Susan got cut off.

"Mum's not here." Peter argued.

"Oh, no!" I heard Lucy gasp. I looked up, my eyes widen, seeing the wolves running across the frozen waterfall above our heads.

Without warning, I started running. Peter shouted at us to run. But it was too late. Wolves jump in front of us, blocking our exit. I look over my shoulder to find more. They surrounded us, trapping us in to make sure we can't escape.

Quickly, I grab my bow and pull back the string as a wolf pounced on Mr. Beaver pinning him to the ground.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver screamed.

I heard a sword unsheathe next to me. Not needing to turn my head to know that, that person was Peter.

"Put that down, boy." Maugrim taunted. "Someone could get hurt."

"Oh, like you." I commented. He growled at me at the mention of his leg.

"Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr. Beaver shouted to Peter.

"With pleasure," I thought.

Ignoring me, Maugrim continued to mock Peter, "Leave now while you can, and your brother goes with you."

I narrowed my eyes at the second right-hand man of the White Witch. Not trusting his words. There is no chance that the Witch would make that high of a bargain. It is a trick. She would want to kill them the second she gets the chance. Then, torture me.

"Its a trick." I said.

"Stop, Peter!" Susan pleaded. "Maybe we should listen to him!" Peter faltered out of the corner of my eye. Again, pointing out the brother is a sign of weakness. And Maugrim knew this.

"Smart girl." He mocked.

"Don't listen to him!" I shouted at Peter. I didn't take my eyes off of the wolf in front of me. "He is lying!"

"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero!" Susan yelled at him. "Just drop it!"

"Oh, come on. This isn't your war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go."

"Liar!" I screamed, taking a step closer to block the hungry wolfs attention from the Majesties. "All she wants is power! And to stop the Prophecy!"

"True," He admitted. "I mean, she stopped you." A jab at me to make me hesitate. But it won't work. "A child that lost her parents at a young age. That lost her way to her world causing her to get trapped in this one." My eyes watered. His words slowly getting to me. Stabbing into my heart. "The people of Narnia will never look at you as one of their own. No matter how much — how long — you have been saving them." My arms shook and my breathing grew heavy as the truth struck me. His words were true because I have thought those things before. Hearing them from someone else — an enemy no less — made it true.

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam, Shadow? I won't wait forever." Maugrim smirked glancing up at the waterfall. "And neither will the river."

"Peter!"

We looked up. The waterfall cracked, ready to collapse at any moment. Without a moment of hesitation Peter stabs his sword into the ice. I put my bow on my back.

"Hold onto me!" Susan and Lucy grabbed tightly onto his coat while I wrapped my arms around his waist. The shield making it uncomfortable to get a good grip.

The girls yelped as the waterfall broke, plunging us under water. I knew the Beavers would be fine, since they can swim underwater.

I saw Lucy's grip loosen, I reached out to grab her but all I got was her coat. Leaving it on the ice, I jumped in after her in the freezing water. I swam lower and lower, praying to Aslan's mane that the small child is alright.

With relief, I found her trying to swim to shore. Quickly, I climb out after her shouting her name to which she turned around. Her arms wrapped around her, as if her limbs would protect her from the cold. Taking off my cloak, I wrap it around her small from.

"You'll get cold." Lucy said in concern. I smiled softly.

"But you need it more. Narnia can't be saved if their Queen is a block of ice." I joked. Lucy giggled.

We made our way towards the panicked voice of the King and Queen who shouted out for their younger sister.

"Has anyone seen Queen Lucy's coat?" I called out causing everyone to turn to me and Lucy. Relief filled Susan and Peter's faces as they both rushed over putting on Lucys wet coat on top of my cloak. Peter nodded in gratitude to me. I smiled, doing a little bow to which he smiled in amusement.

"Don't you worry, dear." Mr. Beaver said. "Your brother's got you well looked after."

"And I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore."

Confused, we all looked to where Mrs. Beaver was staring at. In awe, a blossom tree grew quickly before our eyes. I have never seen a tree bloom only imagining them from Aslan's and Mr. Tumnus' story.

The three siblings left their coats hanging from a branch behind in the woods. As all around us the forest started to change from winter to spring.

The stories meant nothing compared to the actual sightings growing around us. The grass was greener, flowers bloomed under my feet (I was careful not to step on them not wanting to destroy the beauty of nature), the ice melted from the branches and bark of the trees causing the green leaves to regrow. I looked up at the sky and saw the blue skies instead of the gloomy grey.

Narnia is returning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 2.1K 58
[Completed] With her birth the fulfilment of a thousand year-old prophecy was bound to be brought to life. They saw it in her eyes- her power, her st...
89.5K 1.9K 21
"Lost and cold. Tired and lonely I reached out. I waved my arms and screamed for help. Desperately trying to speak. But nobody saw, nobody heard. I...
244K 4.2K 16
-Complete - (y/n) - Your name (y/l) - Your last name (h/c) - Hair colour (e/c) - Eye colour (y/i) - Your initials I know it's probably way to late...
425K 11.7K 34
EDMUND X READER "Edmund, I... I like you" I confessed. Fiddling with my fingers. My eyes were looking at everything. Anything. Anything but him. "I j...