Masks are Greater than Sungla...

By all-the-heroes

COMPLETE | EDITS COMING SOON ***** "That mask covers like 2% of your face a good pair of sunglasses... More

- cast list -
- forward -
one - running away from my problems
two - i meet the poster boy
three - the most dangerous attacker... younger brothers
four - the council is not so cool
five - poster squad!
six - in shock
seven - i gain at stalker (sort of)
eight - you're fridging me!
nine - super sleeper
ten - curse of the bro-speak
eleven - stupid noodle arms
twelve - my young padawan
thirteen - we've got spirit
fourteen - sunglasses would be more effective
fifteen - hi my name is...
sixteen - boop!
seventeen - we are not doing trust falls
eighteen - family ties
nineteen - detention and death threats
twenty - what you make of it
twenty one - now on blu-ray
- international women's day -
twenty two - a broken lie
twenty three - time to destroy
twenty four - hello kitty
twenty five - the truth... finally
twenty six - the past is definitely *not* in the past
twenty seven - having fun ruining my life?
twenty eight - i make my best friend a wanted criminal
twenty nine - this chapter is explosive
thirty - an amazing disappearing act
thirty one [part 1] - i almost get incinerated
thirty one [part 2]
thirty two - matt straight up sucks
thirty three - we go rouge
thirty four - the mansion
thirty six - i'm definitely not fine
thirty-seven - you look... normal
thirty-eight - thank you?
thirty-nine - it's textbook
forty - oh brother
a/n
no masks, no sunglasses, no supers
Dark Rya - Bonus Chapter

thirty five - plans are overrated anyway

174 10 2
By all-the-heroes

*Here is another chapter friends! I'm don't want to give you false hope with this two weeks in a row thing, I still won't be posting consistently. However, my writer's block decided to let for the past few weeks so hope is on the horizon. Happy reading! 

Ps. - Did I proof read this chapter? No, no I did not.*

- Rya -

"Come on," I mutter under my breath. My arms strain as I pull my wrists back, bracing my legs against the center console of the car. Even with all of my weight pulling against the cuffs the seal holds fast.

My foot slips and I topple backward, my spine cracking against the car seat. Letting out a string of curses I try to shift back into a semi-comfortable position. Trust me, it's a lot more difficult than it sounds without the use of my hands.

The lights inside the cuffs flare and electricity surges through them. I tense but it's too late, the electrical shock is already pulsing through my nerves. A safety feature which I'm sure was added to try and keep villains from attempting the very thing I am, escape. This is the third time a shock has wracked my nerves and I'm beginning to hate the League for not disabling that feature.

When it finally passes I glare down at the metal, a frustrated scream escaping my lips, "I'm trying to help your stupid League friends."

Of course, the handcuffs don't respond, though the lights do flare back at me tauntingly.

With a huff, I let my head thunk against the seat. Sweaty strands of hair fall into my face but I leave them, too exhausted to try and blow them away. For the last ten minutes, I've been battling with these stupid handcuffs and losing.

At first, I was content to sit and fume at Trey in silence, but as the minutes ticked by fear started to creep in. Now half an hour has passed since the rest of the group left. Something has to have gone wrong, I mean, the house is big but not that big right?

Though after getting zapped a few times, I'm beginning to regret the decision to try and help. My nerves are still twitching from the latest shock and my wrists are covered in red welts where the metal digs into them.

With each snubbed escape the agitation inside me grows. There's no way they're okay, not after this much time has passed, but if I keep trying to get free these stupid handcuffs are going to hurt me more than by anything Belladonna could do.

There's no way to tell if they're okay and with each second that passes the fear is creeping up my stomach.

I don't think they're coming back.

Shifting forward again, I study the seal that's formed against the plastic of the consul. Clearly brute force isn't working, no surprise since I have no muscles to speak of, so it's time for a strategy change.

There has to be some other way to disable the mechanisms. If prying your way out of the cuffs was an option, some other Villains would have done it before. No, I need to outsmart them. That I can do...

Hopefully.

Instead of metallic links like handcuffs in the movies, the power dampening cuffs have a large bar connecting the handpieces. A rubber seal has expanded from the back of the bar, creating a sort of vacuum seal against the consul.

Now that I'm finally sitting still I can hear a soft electric whirring emanating from the cuffs. Leaning closer, I see a small vent squarely in the center of the bar that's locking my hands to the car. The vent must be drawing air out from beneath the rubber seal, creating a continuous vacuum that's too strong to break by force alone, like a high tech suction cup. If I can find a way to release the pressure then I should be able to move - finally.

Scanning the car, I search for anything that will be able to cut through the seal. I doubt that I could pry it up with my fingernails, I don't have the right angle anyway. No, I need something sharp.

My eyes lock on something gleaming in the front seat. The keys. Connor left them so they wouldn't get lost in the house somewhere.

Twisting my torso, I clumsily slip my way into the front seat. My elbow bangs against the front seat and I have to choke back a groan. This hero thing is way too hard, especially with my lack of coordination. Biting my lip in concentration, I snag the key ring between the toes of my boots and toss it up.

Thankfully I catch them, I doubt I could perform that contortion act again.

Now sitting between the two front seats practically atop my hands, I flip the key ring around. There are only a few keys on there, no keychain, no arm knife, nothing else that could be used to puncture the seal. I supposed a key has to work.

Choosing one at random, I angle it toward the base of the handcuffs. I press the tip of the key against the seal and begin to saw away at the rubber. My muscles ache at the awkward motion and it takes far too long for the seal to begin fraying.

After what feels like an eternity there's a soft pop and air comes rushing past my hands. I pull them away so quickly I almost topple into the backseat. My eyes squeeze shut as I flail my arms, somehow managing to keep myself upright

Taking a slow breath, I pull my eyes open again. The side of my face is pressed against the driver seat, my arms wrapped around the headrest as I cling to it like a koala. I'm extremely glad no one was here to see that.

Unwinding my arms, I see the lights inside the handcuffs flashing an angry red as the rubber seal retracts into the base. I'm sure I've just set off all kinds of alarms within the Leagues system but it doesn't matter because I'm free. Or at least as free as I can be with my hands still bound.

I can walk and that's a start.

Setting my jaw I grab the handle of the door and wrench it open, sliding out onto the dew-soaked grass. The bars are still pried open where Trey forced his way through. Without hesitation, I slip in.

There's a subtle crunch under my feet and I race through the grove of trees. It's only a few yards before I'm back in the open, the trees dropping away on either side. I skid to a stop, my gaze flickering over the expansive garden between me and the house. The grounds stretch out with nothing to hide me from the arched windows on the ground floor.

I don't have another option. I'll have to risk it.

Stepping onto the grass I race toward the house, not bothering to watch my step. The wind whistles in my ears. Flowers swish beneath my boots, kicking up a pungent aroma of spring.

As I near the house, I slow to a walk, scanning the back of the house.

The door is cracked slightly, clearly where Trey and the other entered. If they hadn't been gone so long, I might consider going in after them. If Belladonna caught them she'll most certainly have someone on the lookout. As it is, I need a different way in.

The rows of windows stare back at me, every one of them like a dark portal into another universe. It's as if even the sun doesn't want to go past the walls thought permission.

Stepping up to a window halfway down the wall I peer through the glass. An expansive library looks back at me, shelves upon shelves marching away into the twilight of the mansion. All preciously empty.

Pressing my palms against the glass, I slide the window up. There's a subtle click as it locks into place. With about as much grace as a panda I flop over the window sill and summersault into the room. My foot cracks against the mahogany shelving. A book atop the stack teeters. Rocking once before resting back in its spot.

I let out a slow breath, reaching up and slamming the window closed.

I jump to my feet, ignoring the way my muscles scream at the action. The lack of sleep is finally catching up with my body but I have to ignore it. I don't have time to be exhausted, not if the others are in danger.

In a few quick moments I'm on the other side of the room, pressing my ear against the door. With my hands still bound it's going to be a lot more difficult for me to help.

But I had to do something.

Cracking the door open, I peer out. Nothingness extends down the long corridor in both directions. No sign of Trey, Connor, or Ivette. No sign of anyone really.

I pick a direction at random - hey if winging it works for the League then who am I to come up with a new strategy - and step into the hall. Sliding out the door halfway closed, I begin to make my way into the darkness. Sticking close to the wall I praying that the floor won't creak beneath my feet.

I pause at each door, hesitating to make sure that there's no one on the other side. With each step the panic in the back of my mind grows. Sure the house is big, but I have to find them eventually right?

A hand presses over my mouth, trapping a scream in my throat. I try to kick out but I hit only thin air. The attacker drags me backward as I try to free myself.

I finally land a blow, jabbing an elbow into the attackers stomach.

A strained oomph comes from behind me followed by a harsh whisper, "Stop trying to kill me Ry."

Relief washes through me at Nicks's words. I stop struggling and let him pull me through one of the many doors. I don't feel bad about the elbow though, you can't sneak up a girl without expecting her to fight back.

The door clicks shut after us, trapping us inside. Nick spins me around, his wide brown eyes scanning my face. As he realizes that I'm not going to scream he slowly pulls the hand away from my mouth.

"What happened, did she hurt you?" The words rush out of him so quickly that I can barely make them out.

I'm about to inform him that the only person who came close to hurting me here was him. His look stops me cold, sending a shiver down to my toes. There's terror behind his eyes, the most I've ever seen.  The irritation inside me gives way instantly.

Apparently I've take too long to answer because his panic stricken gaze slides away from my face, darting over the rest of me, looking for any signs of harm. To my surprise, he doesn't even seem to notice my Shadow suit. Maybe too wrapped up in his own head to care.

His hands run over my arms bracingly, as if he'll be able to pull the memories from my mind through the contact.

"Hey," I lightly tilt his face back so he meets my eyes. Pushing as much meaning into the words as possible I whisper, "I'm alright."

I don't know if it's the words or my voice or the touch but something seems to reassure him. He lets out a long breath, closing his eyes as he leans into my hand.

"I heard someone scream and then I saw you there and I thought..." He shakes his head listlessly, not bothering to finish the sentence.

The fear that was holding him up drains away leaving only a tired shell before me. My chest aches. The past few days, it was too much for any of us.

A renewed urgency surges through me. This has to end. If not for me then for the rest of them. Bella can't drag them into this any longer. It's not their fight, not their lives to ruin.

We have to get out of here. All of us.

Now.

As carefully as I can I ask, "When was the last time you saw your sister?"

He opens his eyes quickly, darkness flashing through them. He's about to answer when his gaze snags on my wrist, or more accurately the cuffs there. With a jolt I try to pull them out of his view but it's too late, the damage has been done.

Catching my wrist, he tentatively runs a finger over the metal, pushing it aside to reveal the harsh red welts beneath. To my surprise beads of blood dot the edge.

"You turned yourself in?"

It's not really a question, not when he knows the answer.

I ignore the look on his face, the one that says he more to say, and drag my hands away. Whatever he wants to talk about can wait, it has to.

"Belladonna, Nick. If you heard people screaming they have to be with her." He nods silently, letting me speak, "We need to find the others."

"Others?"

"Trey, Conner, and Ivette all came with me. I haven't seen them in half an hour."

That gets to him. He jolts straight into Superhero mode, the expression whipped form his face.

"Tell me everything."

And I do. Going to the League, the Council's disbelief, all the way until Trey locked me in the car. He paces to the other wall as I speak, allowing me to take in  room around us for the first time.

Were in what I guess is a guest bath, but it's large enough to the entirety of bedroom to fit comfortably inside. The rooms is bedecked in floor to ceiling marble, with gold art deco accents everywhere I look.

Nick opens a cabinet of the same dark wood as the shelving in the library. Above it a marble countertops shimmer under in gold light, a mirror is inlayed into the wall reflecting its glow back at me.

The rest of the room follows is the same fashion. Gold and marble and more expensive than anything I own.

When he said that the Harrington's were rich I thought he meant a little powerful, not the uppermost echelon of society.
If they're so obscenely wealthy that they have golden tiles in their shower it's a miracle they haven't irradiated Supers all together.

I push all that away and continue with my explanation. It's not what matters right now but a thought still tugs at the back of my mind. Nick was set in inherit this, all of it.

"It's not as glamorous as it looks," Nick mutters, guessing where my mind has gone.

I turn back to him. He's holding a small red box, a medical kit he grabbed from one of the cabinets. It's normalcy stands out against the wealth all around us, just like I must. 

Pushing me gently onto a small ottoman Nick continues, kneeling on the marble as he flips open the kit, "All this." He gestures around, pulling out a roll of bandages, "Comes with my family so it's really too large a price to pay."

He slams a wad of disinfectant wipes down with a little more force than is necessary. I can hear the resentment lacing his tone. It's only half a joke and the smile doesn't reach his eyes.

"I'll loan you mine." I mutter under my breath, thinking of how much the twins would adore him.

He's still looking down, his dark hair obscuring his face, but I swear I see him smile.

"So," Nick grabs my wrist lightly, his tone back to business. His thumb moves to the keypad in the center of the cuffs. With a flash and a soft hiss they fall away, exposing my raw wrists to the air. "What is your amazing plan miss Shadow."

I can tell he's trying to distract me as he starts cleaning the cuts. Still, the question sharpens my focus. I sit up straighter. "We have to figure out where they are, that's the first step. If we can sneak them out that would be ideal, I don't want to test us against Destroyer even if it's 5 on one."

He nods in agreement, wrapping gauze around my first wrist and moving on to the other.

We don't even know if it is five on one. The realization hitting me, someone could be hurt or incapacitated, or or...

No, I can't think that way.

Again I swallow the thoughts that threaten to crowd my mind. It's not worth the worry, not until I know I need it.

"We just have to get everyone else out of here." I breath, "We've got to save them."

Nick finishes the bandages off and taps my arm lightly. The side of his mouth quirking up. A real smile now, though it's a small one. "I knew you were meant to be a hero, Ry."

When he says it this time, it doesn't sound so bad.

Words stick in the back of my throat. Thankfully Nick saved me from trying to respond. "Here's what's going to happen,"

The confident Super tone is back, the one that says he knows exactly what to do. "I'll go find them and you go back to the League. Get Afterthought, tell him that I talked to you-"

"Woah woah," I say incredulously. Going to the League and trying to convince the Council, it's the exact plan that failed hours ago. "You're trying to get rid of me."

"Oh caught that did you?" Nick smirks, leaning back against the cabinets opposite me. "You can't blame me for trying, I want you as far from my insane sister as possible."

"Well then you'll just have to try harder." I glare at him, "because I'm staying."

Despite his best efforts I see fear slipping back into his eyes. His Adam's apple bobs as he gulps down a breath, "Listen, no matter what Belladonna promised earlier, if she finds you here she will not hesitate to-"

"Kill me?" I ask, barely suppressing the shudder that goes through me at the memory of Bellas anger. I know he's right - she will kill me if she has the chance. I tilt my chin up, rubbing at my wrists where the memory of the power cuffs linger, She can try."

He laughs slightly and I feel my stomach flutter a little at the sound. I push away the feeling. I'll consider what Nick and I are when I'm not about to go to prison, or worse.

"What's your plan B then? One that doesn't involve making me leave."

He harrumphs, actual harrumphage.

After a few moments though I see the training kick in, the calculations occurring behind his eyes. It takes him a moment, but finally he looks ready to answer.

A sharp bang causes me to jump back, crashing into the marble wall. I've heard that sound before, it's been haunting my dreams ever since the fateful night I met Cerulean Ray.

A gunshot.

My entire body goes cold, all the blood draining to my toes. I don't notice I'm up and moving until Nick appear before me, blocking my path to the door.

"Rya wait." He breaths, "We can't rush into this blind."

Damn it. He's right of course. That's how I got into trouble four years ago. I can't keep diving into these situations to try and stop people from getting hurt. That's when we have to think it through the most, when lives are at stake.

I can feel my hands beginning to shake and I dig my nails into my palms. No more people are going to die because of me.

My breaths are beginning to come quicker now and I try to force them back to normal. I wish Nick hadn't taken the cuffs off. There's no guarantee I'll stay in one spot, not with all the fear coursing through me.

"Okay," I let out sharp breath, slowly unclenching my fists. I just need to think, think of something, anything really, but my mind remains blank. It's like the gunshot short circuited my brain, taking away all the processing power at my most crucial moment. 

"Don't worry," Nick leans back, resting his hand on the doorknob. Beneath the layer of terror I see his eyes sparkle as he turns back to me. "I have a plan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.5K 1.7K 40
"You tryna fuck suhm?" "No Assiana. Watch the movie" "Mm..... I think you're lying" she hummed as her hand moves up to his hard on, massaging it. Are...
56.8K 1.8K 51
"Come at me like a real man, or does your religion not allow you to spill blood?" She laughed and further lowered her lips to his ear, whispering, "Y...
689 52 9
Friendship doesn't change when your bestie becomes a fire-wielding champion, but a lot of other stuff does. Like having to put 'kidnapped by idiots w...
6K 102 31
James Bucky Barnes x OC AU / 18+ mature content We all know the story. Two star-crossed strangers are brought together by fate . They have secrets...