The God & The Shadow

By gildedlakes

"Jealous?" "Why would I be?" "Because I know your fantasies." He argued. I leaned closer to him, smelling hi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Epilogue

Chapter 4

779 39 3
By gildedlakes

VERONICA

Gideon started giving us our roles once he oriented us what our assignment was. Olivia gave a face of shock and glee at the party we were to attend, then frowned at Gideon's order to not talk or approach the gods.

No one argued that order since everyone apparently also did not like the gods. We were taught to assume the worst among mortals and immortals alike, and gods are not an exception to that.

Gideon ran through us the plan, asking for comments and suggestions all throughout. I was of course given the task to kill the wraith since it wasn't just a knife to the throat task. No, it needed skill and a special set of weapons, the latter of which I had just laying around in my arsenal back home.

Tarrin seemed to have left out the other task Gideon gave because I was not needed. Matt, Olivia, and Gideon would be breaching one of the chambers underneath the castle to free a fugitive Tarrin and Gideon suspect was ensconced there. Agatha, one of Tarrin's many agents, was captured before by Ealdread after she tried stealing a goblet from his home many years ago. The goblet was believed to carry great power and can enhance powers if done correctly. Clearly, Agatha was not able to test that theory.

Warren and Taylor on the other hand, would be accompanying me to look for the wraith. We had no specific description as to what it looked like because wraiths can easily possess other corporeal bodies, masquerading around as someone else. The only element separating them from actual shape-shifters was that the body they were to possess needs to grant them permission to actually become it. So, if we see someone talking to thin air then later acting as if a heavenly body entered him, there's our wraith.

"Everyone understand their roles?" Warren asks.

Everyone nodded and voiced their agreement.

"Alright. Good luck, everyone." Gideon says with a wary smile on his face, then disappears from the room.

Soon, we'll be entering a castle filled with gods. Gods I've only seen and read in books. I didn't need it before, but I'll get all the luck I need now for me to get through this.

《♤》

"What are you wearing?"

"A dress!" Olivia replied.

"No, that's something Victorian wives would wear on a trip to the market." Taylor countered.

Olivia was wearing a red dress with a petticoat underneath. She did look like she jumped right out of the Victorian era, but the look suited her.

"Well, we're entering a castle. Might as well look the part. Plus, this was the only suitable dress I had! We had a different sense of fashion back home at Salem. You would know, Veronica!"

"It's true, they liked wearing that sort of stuff." I said to Taylor who looked at me with highly raised brows.

"Alright, fine. As long as you don't catch too much attention, you can wear the dress. Just make sure it won't hinder you from doing what you need to do." Taylor said to Olivia, as if she were an older sister.

Olivia winked at both of us, then walked in the portal leading to the other world where the castle was. Gideon and Matt were already on the other side, making sure no one would be able to spot them as they sneak into the castle.

Warren walked up to my side, whistling at our outfits as he looked at us. Rolling my eyes, I summoned a tendril of my power to my fingers, then touched the portal. The portal that was once red now turned violet, leading us straight to the front gates of the palace where we were to enter.

"You look good too, Warren. Maybe too good. A goddess might start ovulating at the sight of you." Taylor complimented Warren as she looked at him with a grin.

Warren returned the grin then directed his attention at me. He raised his eyebrows, waiting for my appraisal.

"What?" I ask apathetically.

"You're supposed to compliment me after I complimented you, V. It's etiquette."

"It really isn't and that was hardly a compliment. You whistled," I said as I stepped in to the portal.

"Plus, demons lie all the time. She just wants to see you look all high and mighty." I say over my shoulder as my body enters the portal fully.

Whatever humor I had a few seconds ago disappeared as soon as the castle appeared. It looked just like it had in my dream, proving that I really was in that man's head.

Taylor soon joined me with a knowing smile on her face and Warren donning a frown. Both stopped their squabble as they looked up at the castle, amazed at the sight of it.

I sighed, both an action of steeling myself and calming down the anxiety building inside. Walking up at the gates, I notice a man stood at the center of it, paper in hand.

The clicking of our heels were the only sound here as we approached the man that looked incredibly bored. He wore clothes that were fit for any castle servant, but presentable nonetheless. He had a gilded monocle and a well-trimmed mustache. I'd say he's not just any castle servant, but somewhat important enough to admit and reject guests.

"Name?" He asks with a sharp tone.

"Tarrin." I say, returning his tone.

He casted a quick glance at us, then returned to the list he has. A few seconds later, he stepped aside then opened the gate. We did not thank him; showing any kindness is a show of weakness, something you do not want to give to any possible enemies.

The path to the castle was dark and filled with fog. I could barely see the grass that edged the cobblestone path, but I could tell that the fog covered the garden the castle was surrounded with.

This was clearly fog breathed into life, for it covered everything, even when Warren ran his hand through it, hoping to see what was beyond. It stopped only when we reached the castle's main doors that were opened and filled with light by the torches lit on the pyres.

We entered the castle, silently thanking the gods for not casting any runes to take away any powers. Turns out the gods were just as uncomfortable as any immortal without their powers.

We walked down the long hallway and turned to the right where the revelry begun and gathered. People were dancing and drinking, some were getting into heated arguments as to how this god struck down this angel, and some were simply watching others.

Taylor tapped my shoulder once, silently telling me that she's going to start searching for the wraith. I did not look at her as she made her way through the throng, then disappeared from sight. Warren followed suit, then disappeared as well, leaving me alone.

I slowly scoured the room watching the throng of people revel in the music and alcohol, most of them already drunk. I haven't spotted any gods yet apart from Artemis, Apollo, and Hermes, who is well into drinking what seems to be a thousand shots, literally.

I watch Hermes in his blue suit as he drinks the shots without pause, a crowd behind him roaring as he downs them. He pauses to wipe his mouth with his arm, then locks eyes with me. His face drops from the smile he held a few seconds ago, then suddenly something like recognition sparks in his eyes.

I realized that I should not have been staring at him, breaking off the stare then walking straight into the crowd where no one can distinguish one another in their drunken state.

I got out of the other side, my black and gold dress unbothered from the protection I casted before crossing. Assessing the people on this side, I shifted towards the shadows. I noticed a man talking to no one in particular before bringing the drink he held on to his lips. He continued talking while facing the crowd, then suddenly turned to his right. He left his drink on the table in front of him then started arguing with again, no one.

Waiting for him to confirm my suspicion, he nodded after a while, then jerked back as if something entered him. I smirked at the action, whispering into the earpiece that I had eyes on him. Warren and Taylor immediately replied saying that they'd find me as I approached the newly possessed man.

"Hey." I greet him with an innocent smile.

"Oh, hey. Sorry, I'm quite tipsy at the moment." He stammered as he said many words of apology.

"That's fine. Want to go somewhere more quiet?" I say, cutting him off from his unnecessary prattling.

"Yes. I would like that." He says with a smile on his face.

I led him out of the ballroom as the people continued celebrating. As instructed, I entered the long hallway that led to many bedrooms. I entered the first bedroom, lighting the candles with a simple flick of my hand, then turned to him as he closed the door.

He closed the distance between us, then started kissing me. His kisses were disgusting to say the least, it was like his intent was to make a mess out of the red lipstick I wore instead of kissing my lips.

I broke free from his lips to grab my sheathed dagger, laced with various chemicals wraiths were vulnerable to, from my leg that my dress covered and placed it on his throat.

"Woah, what the hell? Get that thing away from me! Are you an assassin? What do you want? I'll give anything!" He says with a rushed tone.

Placing a finger on his lips, I silently instruct him to hush. I pressed his body on to the wall as the dagger slowly drew blood from his neck. He screamed, and I scrambled to place my hand over his mouth.

"Your scream is a sweet symphony I wish to repeat on a loop, darling. But, I find it unnecessary at the moment because no one will answer your pleads here." I say at a low tone, whispering in his ears.

"Did Tarrin send you? Has he finally come to kill me? After all these years?" He says, trying to laugh but obviously faltering.

I gave him a smile filled with mischief in reply.

He whimpers, then proceeds to wet himself. I roll my eyes, finally driving the entire dagger through his throat. The dagger was embedded in the wall, holding his entire corpse captive as he hangs on the wall by the throat. I look back at what I've done, smiling as I've completed my very first mission with the unit, even though Warren and Taylor were not here yet.

Suddenly, the candles I ignited earlier were blown out, leaving me in the darkness. I turned around, trying to search the culprit when suddenly a hand wrapped around my neck and brought my body up against the wall, inches away from the wraith's corpse. I tried twisting and removing the hand, but it wouldn't even budge. Whoever was holding me wasn't choking me, but they were just holding me up without the pressure of blocking my airways.

"Let me go."

"Or what?" The stranger asks.

I slowly dragged my fingers up his arm, touching his arms where his veins lifted from his skin. I held his arm lightly, then forced his arm to twist, causing him to let go of me and aid to his nearly broken arm. I grabbed him by his other arm and with god-like speed, I pressed my hand on to his neck and pressed him on to the wall, this time applying pressure. I conjured up a dagger with my powers then pressed it on to his skin as I lit the candles back to life.

I nearly dropped my hold on him as he smiled.

Oh gods.

"Hello, darling. I've been expecting you." The man from my dream says.

《♤》

Heyyyy he's here :) this is definitely going to be a lot more fun.

Don't forget to comment + vote. Have a good day <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

660K 39.7K 44
~ retelling of Hades and Persephone ~ EVERY TEN YEARS, THE GOD OF DEATH TAKES A BRIDE. In the Kingdom of Minoa, a sacrifice of a virgin girl is given...
681K 33.1K 15
| A Wattpad Featured Story | Hades was well-cast to rule over the land of the dead. But what if Hades, the fearsome monarch of the Underworld was...
202K 5.2K 35
The man on the throne abruptly stood up, his dark black eyes shining with an untammed flame, one that turned everything into embers. It was obvious t...