we the cursed, nct dream โœ”

By pinkpaesta

Juno's life will never be the same. She was normal, before. But a series of unfortunate events lands her in t... More

foreword
the beginning
part one
part two
part three
part four
part five
part six
part seven
part eight
part nine
part ten
part eleven
part twelve
part thirteen
part fourteen
part fifteen
part sixteen
part seventeen
part eighteen
part nineteen
part twenty
part twenty-one
part twenty-two
part twenty-three
part twenty-four
part twenty-five
part twenty-seven
part twenty-eight
part twenty-nine
part thirty
part thirty-one
part thirty-two
part thirty-three
part thirty-four
part thirty-five
part thirty-six
part thirty-seven
part thirty-eight
part thirty-nine
part forty
part forty-one
part forty-two
part forty-three
part forty-four
part forty-five
part forty-six
part forty-seven
part forty-eight
part forty-nine
part fifty
part fifty-one
part fifty-two
part fifty-three
part fifty-four
part fifty-five
part fifty-six
part fifty-seven
part fifty-eight
part fifty-nine
part sixty
part sixty-one
part sixty-two
part sixty-three
part sixty-four
part sixty-five
part sixty-six
part sixty-seven
part sixty-eight
part sixty-nine
the end
the end pt. 2
afterword

part twenty-six

675 58 13
By pinkpaesta

the one where they finally make up.

part twenty-six

"Okay, spit it out. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Why?"

Jeno angles his head up to look up at her from where it's laying in her lap. Juno stares back at him coolly, determined to seem unaffected despite the fact that it currently feels like someone is doing somersaults in her stomach. When he'd first stretched out onto the bed and laid his head on her thighs, she'd nearly dropped their Korean class assigned reading novel on his face. Since then, her senses seemed heightened to be painfully aware of every time he shifted or moved, which would send a brand new flutter through her chest.

Having a crush is so humiliating. She hates it.

Jeno cocks a brow, setting down his own copy of the book. "Don't bullshit me, you've been... off all day."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Juno retorts stubbornly.

But he continues to hold her gaze and eventually she sighs, resolve finally weakening at his own stubbornness. He isn't wrong. Ever since she'd come across those notes under her carpet days ago, her head had been full of them, the words on them playing on repeat, even appearing in her dreams from time to time. Also, perhaps Haechan's comments earlier had done more to rattle her than she would like to admit.

Finally she speaks, deciding in favor of a half-truth. Juno chooses to mention just the second inducer of her anxiety for now - she'll show all her friends the notes soon enough. "Well, Haechan..."

Jeno sighs at that . "What did he do?"

"He basically told me to stop being an attention whore and leave you guys alone," she blurts. Because even if he'd said it just to be an ass, what if people actually see it that way? "I don't know, I just don't want anyone to think I have an ulterior motives for getting close with you guys. I would hate for it to come across like I'm just trying to flirt my way through-"

"Firstly," Jeno cuts her off, holding up one finger. "You shouldn't give a shit about what any losers decide to think, even if one of those losers is Haechan."

"But-"

"Also what ulterior motive?" Jeno rolls his eyes. "If whoever can't get past you being friends with us, that's their problem. It's no one else's concern. Just because there's a great majority of people who are into us doesn't mean you also are." He pauses. "I didn't mean for that to sound as narcissistic as it did."

Juno doesn't think he could be even if he tried. "I know," she laughs.

"Anyway, don't even think about it anymore." He pauses, giving her an angelic smile. "Okay?" In the face of that, all she can really do in response is nod. Jeno gets up then, and Juno immediately misses the warmth in her lap. "I'll be right back."

"Wait, where are you going?"

"Oh." Jeno gives her a smile that, this time, is not reassuring in the least. "I'm just gonna have a little chat with Donghyuck."

Juno purses her lips. "Alright." Should she be concerned?

"Oh, also." Jeno turns around from where he is near the door and strides back to where she's sitting, leaning down so that they're eye-to-eye. Juno's breath hitches at his proximity, recoiling slightly as he draws close. "I don't mind if you flirt with me. Just so you know."

Oh.

Suddenly, the door swings open. "Am I interrupting something?" Jaemin enters the room, raising a brow at the two.

The blonde rises again, ignoring the question. "I need to step out for a bit. Don't kill each other," Jeno calls as he leaves, giving his best friend a warning nudge before slamming the door behind him.

Juno hardly even registers the other's presence. Her heart is still in overdrive, and she places a palm over it in an attempt to calm down. There's no way that boy doesn't know he effect he has on her; she's sure she must be painfully obvious.

Jaemin eyes her warily. "What's with you?"

Juno immediately fixes her dreamy expression, taking the novel back into her hands to blatantly ignore him. Holding grudges isn't necessarily a positive skill, but is one she possesses anyway. Since their argument in Psychology, she has spoken precisely zero words to the white-haired boy.

He sighs, trying again with her full name and everything. "Baek Juno."

She doesn't answer. Juno finds that silence is actually quite effective in communicating displeasure to someone, and if only this novel was just a little more interesting, she'd be able to tune him out completely, forgetting he's even there.

Jaemin waits for one more beat, and then he crosses the room to where she's sitting and snatches the book from her hands. Juno says nothing; just levels an irritated glare on him.

"Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things to you."

"Why not?" Juno reaches over to take her wire-rimmed spectacles from where they lie atop the table, the ones she only wears sometimes while reading. He watches her put them on, momentarily distracted until she says her next words. "You didn't say anything you didn't mean."

Part of her isn't even necessarily angry anymore, just enjoys watching him squirm uncomfortably. "But I didn't mean a single word. I'm glad you're here, and I'm glad we met you. I just get a little... touchy where my brother's involved."

But that's the thing, isn't it? His mood hadn't changed when she'd mentioned his brother. That day, Jaemin had become on edge the very second she'd taken the strange vial out of her bag.

Juno just peers at him from the top of her lenses, contemplating. And then she finally relents. As curious as she is, she should be able to let it go. Maybe he'll tell her what she wants to know, someday. "It's fine. You're forgiven."

Jaemin blinks. "Just like that?"

Juno cocks a brow. "Why, do you want me to make you beg and grovel? I can do that."

"No, thanks," he answers quickly, and they exchange a chuckle. "Look, I'm sure you've probably only heard part of the story. But a lot of that is rumors, and-"

"Hey." Juno's eyes are soft as she gazes at him. She's about to reach over to take his hand for comfort, but decides against it at the last moment. "You aren't under obligation to tell me anything. It's fine. I get it."

"But we're friends, aren't we?" Jaemin gives her a smile that doesn't reach his eyes. And before she even realizes, he reaches for her hand. "Just let me get this out, okay?"

Juno only nods, squeezing his fingers in solidarity.

"It's weird," he begins. "I don't think I've ever heard of any other siblings who both have abilities. But Jaeyoon did. I didn't realize at first; all I knew is that he was acting strange and my parents decided to ship him here. We were very close, so it was hard having my big brother gone. His absence was what had me come out of my shell a bit and let Jeno expand our circle of friends."

"Right."

"When I heard that he was finally coming home, I was overjoyed, obviously. But... he wasn't what I expected. He was almost in worse shape when he got back - skittish, paranoid, random mumblings that I never understood. I was confused.

"And then one day, he and I had a conversation - I think that's when I knew for sure that something was wrong. That day, I'd already heard him muttering to himself, all these things that didn't really make sense to me at the time. Then we were talking, and he took something out of his pocket." His eyes go to her. "It was a tiny bottle with a liquid inside that looked exactly like the one you showed us in Psych."

"Oh. So you recognized it, then?"

He nods. "I did, and it put me on edge. But back then he'd mentioned it doing something to "them," but I had no clue who or what he was talking about, so I just said it was pretty." He chuckles. "And then he asked me if I'd ever wanted superpowers."

Juno's frown is contemplative, eyes narrowed as she thinks. "He did?"

"I said yeah, of course, doesn't everyone kinda wish they were superhuman sometimes? And then he said that they are real, the powers. And you know what I did? I laughed. Right in his face. After that, he started talking about how he shouldn't remember. That he shouldn't remember, but he does. And then he started yelling again, I got scared, my mom went to talk to him, then I woke up the next morning and he was gone."

"He'd just left?"

"Yeah. After writing a really vague letter about how he didn't feel that we would be safe around him anymore and telling us not to worry, that he would be fine." Jaemin inhales a shuddering breath. "I remember feeling confused, sad, and pissed off all at the same time. I thought it was all such bullshit."

It all comes crashing into her at once. There's just something about this entire account in general, his older brother's erratic behavior, and the things he remembers hearing him say...

What is it about them that reminds her of the notes she found in her room?

He's mentioned it before, in passing, but she hadn't caught it. Juno internally crosses her fingers, hoping. For what, she doesn't know. And then she finally takes a deep breath, hesitating before asking the question. "By the way, what did you say your brother's name was?"

"Jaeyoon." Their gazes lock. "Na Jaeyoon."

"Hey, cutie."

"Don't call me that." Juno raises her eyes from her phone screen, scowling at the girl in front of her. "People might think we're friends."

"You wound me," Livi drawls. "But you are cute, even if you're a little grumpy today," she sniffs, taking a seat beside Juno in the waiting area. "Anyway, what are you doing here? It's not quite time for monthly checkups."

"I was called in." Juno glances up. "You?"

Livi shrugs. "No reason. Just passing by and saw you in here looking like a loser, so I came in." When that doesn't squeeze a grin from the other girl, her brows furrow. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." First Jeno, now Livi. Juno must be much more transparent than she thinks.

Livi ignores the dismissal. "Are you uncomfortable now because you realize there's no hope of redemption for me?" She's smirking, but there's a vulnerability in her eyes. "I'm surprised that you're surprised. I have never pretended to be a good person because I'm not and will never be."

Juno peers over at her, silent for a moment. "Did you ever apologize to him?"

"What?"

"To Jeno. Did you ever tell him you were sorry?"

Livi blinks rapidly, temporarily blindsided. "No," she begins. "I wanted to, I did. But his friends wouldn't let me anywhere near him."

"You should." Juno sighs, pocketing her phone. "And I'm not uncomfortable with you. You made a really really fucking stupid mistake, yeah. But there's always hope for redemption. Also you can and you will become a good person, if you care enough. And as long as I can tell that you do, I plan on keeping you around. So you can quit your self depreciation."

A smile creeps onto Livi's face, soft and sweet. "No, I guess you're right. I'll talk to him."

"Good. And I'm just feeling a little stressed today, is all." Like before, Juno doesn't completely unleash the entirety of her issues. "Yesterday Haechan accused me of getting close to his friends with the ulterior motive of flirting with all of them for attention."

Livi makes a face. "What's wrong with flirting?"

Juno gives her a look. "It's not why I'm friends with them, though."

"Duh, I know that. But even if you were flirting, they should be counting themselves lucky. I mean, look at you." Livi reaches over to take her chin, turning the girl's face from side to side, and Juno laughs in spite of herself. "Haechan gets really prickly with those he decides he doesn't like. He was like that with me, so don't give any of the shit he said to you a single thought. Are we clear?"

Juno purses her lips to hide a smile. "Stop making me like you."

"Can't help it."

Just then, Juno's name is called to go in and see the doctor. "We'll talk later, yeah?" She gets up from her spot and wiggles her fingers at Livi. "I'll see you at the dance."

The other girl gets up too and blows a kiss as she leaves.

"Your strength has grown."

The doctor is singing a very different tune from when Juno was in last. The woman seems astonished as she checks Juno's vitals, a thoughtful frown upon her lips. Juno watches her, curious as to the verdict.

"I have never, ever seen a student get this strong this fast." The doctor's gaze is almost distrustful as she looks back over at the girl. "You've been training."

"Yes, ma'am."

And so the usual happens. The doctor runs various tests, pumps a few drugs into her system to review how she reacts with them, and fills out what looks like an excessive amount of paperwork.

"You are nothing but a lab rat." The words pop into her head, unprovoked.

When the doctor leaves momentarily to go get something, Juno immediately hops up from the examination chair. She quickly peruses the equipment, looking for anything at all worth notice. But then she hears footsteps. Dr. Han is coming back.

Her fingers close around a small bottle, and she slips it into her pocket. It's the drug that is given after tests are run on students, to calm them down both mentally and physically. Juno doesn't know exactly, but she does know like how peaceful it makes her feel. And even though it's embarrassing to admit it, she figures it will come in handy.

"You're turning out to be quite interesting, Baek Juno," Doctor Han comments. Juno glances up. Why do those words sound so foreboding to her?

"Yes, Doc?"

Something in the doctor's gaze causes her to shiver. "We will be watching you more closely from now on."

A/N

it's taken me 26 chapters to ask myself what the hell is it that i'm writing

on another note. does anyone else forget about the shift key on the right of the keyboard??? like i swear i just noticed it

also i need to stop reading murder mysteries before going to bed, good night

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.2K 3.5K 17
โ It's said, that those who don't sleep confuse reality with dream. โž In which a girl was born a lab rat and was hired to fake being an andriod to ge...
324K 15.1K 37
"excuse me what?! i cheated on who?!!" [ social media au + lowercase intended ] well let's just say that their friendship starts off on the wrong foo...
276K 13.8K 36
"i think you're my soulmate." "dude, just take your coffee." +in which jaemin meets his soulmate in a coffee shop soulmate au. swearing used. highes...
27.5K 1.4K 50
ใ…ก glitch modeใ€‚ ใ…ก ๐ ๐ž๐ญ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ/๐ฌ๐ฅ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž ๐š๐ฎใ€‚ in which dasom strays from her daily routine and it creates countless of chain eff...