Carrion (The Bren Watts Diari...

By DAlecLyle

When a deadly plague spreads like wildfire, 17-year-old Bren Watts is trapped at Ground Zero of a global pand... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Cast of Characters (Guide)
FAN ARTS

Chapter 116

3.3K 270 194
By DAlecLyle

LOGAN

They were back in the suburbs again; only they weren't made of mansions. Instead, these were closely built houses of single-family homes and ranch-style facades, with narrow alleys and rear alleyways for the backyard garages; trees lining up the sidewalk, which provided the streets with natural shade; and many abandoned vehicles scattered bodies in all manners of decomposition. The air reeked with burnt wood, rubber, and decay.

Banners of the CRA propaganda, the military, and even the Alphas' militia symbol—an eagle with its wings spanning upward, caught in the moment as if it's about to leap into the air. It had a pointed, mean beak, sharp-edged eyes slanted, and head slightly turned to the right. Almost wrapped around the wings were the letters SA, which stood for the Sapiens Alphas, the militia's official name. The eagle perched on top of a semi-circle, giving the entire image of the organization almost an hourglass look.

Logan had seen too many of those as of late; the Alphas' message of intolerance and hate was spreading like the disease itself.

Ahead of them, a pile of cars, rubbish, and scraps were piled on top of each to form a makeshift barricade eight feet high. Logan didn't quite like the look of that, especially when there were half a dozen vectors impaled on long poles and stakes, acting like scarecrows to anyone who would dare cross the boundaries. No way he's going to order everyone to climb that death trap.

What's more fucked up was that these vectors were still alive, barely, because some of them were moving, albeit bleeding to death.

Is someone rotating these vectors for new ones every day?

Logan had noticed that vectors' pain tolerance was astronomical. Though they could die from traumatic injuries, it usually took them far longer to succumb to their wounds than an average human would. He gave these vectors by nightfall before someone changed the bodies for the fresh ones, and that image terrified him.

"Something's wrong," Paloma spoke up.

Logan turned around. "What do you mean?"

"Look ahead." She pointed at the blockade.

"Yeah, I can see that."

"But what about everything around it?"

On their right were a row of houses—no way to go around the barricade except moving into the street on the left. The cars were parted slightly from the middle, enough space for a small car to pass through perhaps, or even a bike.

"Something's fishy about that street," Logan finally said.

"Exactly."

"I noticed that, too," Deon said.

There were more dead bodies scattered around the pavement more than he had seen, about half with gunshot wounds to the chest or the head, but others he could not tell the difference whether they died from the crash or torn by vectors.

"What now?" Deon asked.

Logan didn't like how the bodies with gunshot wounds were positioned. Most of them faced the house with a yellow door at the end of the lane.

Beyond that house would be the cemetery.

"We move forward," Logan said.

He hated to turn around and find another way. They were only two blocks away from the cemetery, but they were already ten minutes behind the deadline. If Miguel reached the destination already, they should be moving on to the second meeting point toward the museum, and there they would wait for three hours. Logan hoped he'd see Bren again at the cemetery at least, though he was on the fence of wishing it to happen. He didn't like to imagine Bren being late and be stuck behind with enemies crouching at all sides.

They would have left a note, Logan realized. Something easy for me to spot, something easy to deduce as theirs. But what if I don't find it?

Logan didn't know what he would do if Bren were hurt. He had his back since this all started, but since that roof...Logan shook his head, throwing out that particular memory out of his brain. Why did I fucking do that? He shivered, gripping his rifle, and moved ahead.

Pick your priorities. Compartmentalize. This is how you survive, Logan reminded himself. Right now, his priorities were to keep these people safe until the next meeting point. Until then, he's free to wallow and make up what he should do with Bren. He didn't want to ignore it, but he didn't want to talk about it either.

Focus. Eyes on the prize. Get Bren off your brain for now.

He crouched behind a fence next to a corner house, judging if it was safe to cross the intersection and then into the empty street to their left. But, unfortunately, he couldn't quite see past the pile of burnt cars mangled in a multi-vehicular wreck. Anyone could be behind it waiting to attack, possibly vectors, too.

"Anyone saw anything?" Logan asked quietly.

A pause.

"It looks clear," Deon said, but he sounded unsure.

"I'm not seeing anything," Paloma said. "But we don't know if these houses are empty anyway."

"There could be monsters," Edgar added.

Like that hasn't crossed my mind. "Alright." He looked at the intersection. There were two cars in the middle of the road that he could use as cover, borrowing from Bren's playbook when they tried to escape New York. He hoped it would be enough.

"Follow my lead and one man at a time, alright? We're going to go from cover to cover, using each car as defensive markers, islands, if you will. Someone could start shooting at us from one of the houses, or who knows? Vectors might be watching from the windows, too. If they caught sight of you, they might break out, and we'll have a problem in our hands. So it's best if no one spotted us while we head for that house with the yellow door."

"What are we going to do there?" Marie asked.

"We're going to hop the fence over their backyard. The cemetery should be a block away from then onward. I have my CB radio with me, and Deon has one in case I need to contact you across the street."

Noodle nodded. "That sounds like a good plan to me."

Deon said, "Me, too."

"Sounds risky, you mean," Nico said. A shiver went up to his spine.

"It's okay. Just hang back if you don't feel comfortable, but when you find that courage, follow everyone's lead: where they step, where they crouched, and absolutely make no noise. Remember, we don't want to draw attention. Here. I'll go first."

Logan borrowed from Bren's playbook when they tried to escape New York. He hoped the trick would work this time because it didn't quite go well when the vectors had sensitive hearing. Or when they literally jumped over an overpass to form a macabre waterfall made of human bodies just to get to us. There was no overpass here, so he thought it was safer.

Logan pulled himself out of cover from the fence and crouched toward a van, taking shelter from the rear. So far, no movement had occurred ahead. Not event the vectors from the barricades noticed him. Finding a little courage, Logan crossed the street one car at a time until he reached the tree on the opposite side.

Logan took out the radio. "Anything?" He asked.

Deon's voice came through. "Nothing. No movement."

That's good. "Alright. We're gonna do this slow, but keep moving forward."

Logan crossed from the tree to an overturned pickup, hiding behind the damaged hood, avoiding his knees from scraping on the broken glass. I looked through the broken gap between the asphalt and the mangled bed of the truck and found no movement ahead. From behind, Paloma and Edgar just took the first two cars, waiting there for a few seconds before Paloma dashed toward the tree Logan came from.

It felt like they were tiptoeing across a minefield, wary of which step would explode into chaos. Still, he had his weapon ready just in case trouble reared its ugly head. Logan was almost halfway across the road by the time everyone was already behind cover, moving closer and closer toward the house. So far, he didn't see any vectors from the windows or other survivors peeking from the curtains. Deon reported the same thing.

"I'm beginning to think there's nothing out here," Deon said.

"It wouldn't hurt to be careful." Logan bent forward and stalked toward another tree, and pressed his back against it. From behind, Noodle and Magnus replaced his spot. They gave Logan a curt nod; Noodle's pistol at the ready.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, he thought. But the neighborhood's ghostly stillness unnerved him.

Maybe Deon's right—!

A shot rang out, reverberating across the street, cutting deep into the silence. Logan flinched and ducked, but he heard Noddle cried out, and when he turned, Magnus was already on the ground, half his face carved into his right eye socket.

"Magnus!" Deon shouted.

"He's dead!" Noodle shouted back.

More shots followed one after the other; one wheezed over Paloma's head after Edgar pulled her down behind the overturned truck. Everyone was screaming and shouting.

"Sniper! We got a sniper!" Deon screamed over the radio.

Shit! What to do? What am I going to fucking do?

The sniper turned his attention to me behind the tree, raining at least three bullets along the side, carving and slicing the bark. Fortunately, they were walnut trees with thicker trunks and sturdier branches. Unfortunately, they would have to take a machine gun to shear through it and get to him.

Back. We have to go back and find another way. There was no way around it, and they were no match against a sniper with a vantage point of the entire street.

But the way back was too open, the vehicles too far apart from each other to run for cover. So instead, Logan realized the sniper was waiting for them to enter the middle, the killing zone, where they could no longer escape but to hunker down and hold for dear life or push forward.

"We need to get back!" Darren exclaimed and ran back to the previous cover, behind a Toyota hybrid where Marie was hiding.

"Come on, Darren!" Marie waved for him to hurry.

"No, wait! Darren, stay—!" Logan shouted.

But he was too late. One bullet passed clean through Darren's shoulder, bringing him down onto the ground. He was still alive, thrashing and crying out in pain. He tried to crawl toward the Toyota as Marie urged him on. "You can do it! Come on!"

But then the sniper had his sights on him again, and Darren's head exploded. Blood splattered all over Marie's face, and she let out a piercing scream, crawling back to the safest part behind the Toyota and hunkered down into a fetal position.

Fuck!

I grabbed the CB radio again. "Deon! We're gonna have to flush this motherfucker."

"Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing! Do you have a plan?"

Logan sighed. "Yeah. It's a crazy one, and I don't think you're gonna like it."

"Well, I'm willing to work with anything. Whatcha got?"

Logan took a deep breath and said, "We're gonna be the bait."

——

BREN

"Well, that's not gonna fucking happen," I said.

It took my mind a couple of seconds to figure out what I'm looking at the mangled mess of jutting metal rebars, cables, anchorage, chunks of asphalt and concrete, and various cars piled on top with one another.

Someone had bombed the underpass a long time ago, probably the military, to reduce the traffic of anyone entering the city. Which meant we were very unfortunate to miss demolishing day. I swore I could see a rotting hand sticking in one of the SUV windows weighed down by thousands of tons of debris.

Yeah, no one's coming out of that alive.

The military had blockaded the sides with chain-linked fences with coiled barbed wires on top, as well as anything they could pile up from the rubble to prevent anyone from climbing over.

"It is a bit sketchy to climb..." Alfie started, but he caught a hint of a smile. "It's a challenge for me."

Alfie was the mountain climber before the pandemic began. "Okay, Mr. Instagram. I'm sure you can take that on, but one wrong move, one took the wrong step, we could end up swallowed into a pit with a broken leg or a broken neck," Yousef said. "The thing looks unsteady."

'"I agree with Yousef here," said Haskell.

Alfie chuckled. "Ah, wussies."

I patted Alfie on the shoulder. "No one doubts your prowess, man. You do you." I turned around and caught sight of Aria comforting the other girls about Sarah's death, and my smile dropped. So here we were, joking around while three women just lost someone close to them, and I had a hand in it. Some part of them understood why I had to do it, but it was still jarring to see someone you cared about shot on the face right in front of your eyes without warning.

"So? Where should we go if you cowards can't climb a mound of nothing?" Alfie asked, placing his hands on his hips into a power pose.

Haskell pointed to the right. "That looks promising."

To our right was a strip mall that had once been converted into a shelter by the military. I could still see the various logos and symbols of FEMA, CDC, DHS, and the CRA littered along the walls, replacing the billboards and banners with scantily clad models in their obscenely high beauty standards. Now, it was a former husk of itself. The barricades still stood, blocking the pathways into the mall, but I could spot a few gaps through the storefront windows covered by plywood sheets. Nothing like a good crowbar could do to loosen up the nails and take one apart. I was nervous about what we might find inside.

But what mattered more was that there's another entrance facing the south side of the mall. An entrance is someone's exit, didn't they use to say? So that would be our way around the collapsed underpass.

"It seemed the military had abandoned this side of the city," I said.

Peter nodded. "They're probably retreating into downtown. Better to concentrate their defenses than spreading themselves too thin."

But that would only leave the Alphas to retake what they left behind, I thought. Or the vectors could swallow it and turn it into their nest. Both outcomes were still terrible.

"We're gonna have to leave the Humvee, aren't we?" Yousef asked.

Peter sighed defeatedly. "Yeah. We're gonna have to leave her."

I didn't want to leave the Humvee, but it was what we must do if we're going to move forward. The cemetery was only five blocks away, an easy walk.

We packed our bags quickly before anyone spotted us. Haskell took down the M240B machine gun, insisting on carrying it himself—all thirty pounds of it—saying it would be helpful against a horde if we got caught in it. It was good to be prepared, but it was going to be a bitch to carry around. Haskell decided to pack lightly on his bag, letting the others take the supplies we had in the Humvee.

Though the strip mall was surrounded by chain-linked fences, someone had smashed their way into the gate, tearing a good chunk of the barrier with them. Either it was some Alpha or another survivor, in the end, they got burnt into a crisp from the charred husk of a truck mangled at the front gates. Lucky for us, it was our way into the parking lot.

We crossed the parking lot in silence, navigating around the scattered remains of the military tents and pavilions, once in a while looking in to make sure there's something valuable inside. Unfortunately, it was all junk, bodies wrapped in dirty white linens, empty crates, and boxes long emptied and discarded. Finally, we reached the storefront windows covered in plywood sheets, and Peter tried to look for an opening.

He found it by Macy's. "This will do," he said, pointing at a particular plywood sheet that was worse for wear than the others. It was a little moldy on the edges, a little damp at the top, and I could see through the gaps between the window and the wood cracking under the strain of crumbling wood. But, unfortunately, it was too dark to make out what was inside.

"Are you sure?" I asked him.

"Yeah. It looked rotten, probably because it's right underneath that storm drain. Whenever they put this up, it's been leaking into the wood without drying it, makes the sheet brittle and easy to pull out."

Alfie handed Peter the crowbar, and he started dismantling the nails clinging to the side. Eventually, he managed to open it, and I helped him put it down onto the ground.

"I take point?" Peter asked me, and I nodded. He smiled. He then handed me a flashlight and a bayonet from his backpack.

I stared at the latter. "A bayonet?"

"For extra protection. I got it from the outpost," Peter said.

I had never attached a bayonet on a rifle before, and Peter helped me put one under the shotgun's muzzle while I attached the flashlight at the top. Then, he handed another bayonet to Haskell, which he put on his M4.

There's a first time for everything, I thought.

"Wait a minute," Donna started. "What about us? Aria's got a gun, even these two boys who don't look like soldiers got one. What weapons do we get?" She asked. Her eyes flicked into the dark inside the department store, where you couldn't even see anything past ten feet from you.

She was right. Aria had a pistol I gave her earlier that morning, and Yousef and Alfie had their own stash of weapons that they carried with them: knives, an M4 carbine, a Beretta pistol, and some ammunition. Sure, they weren't a good shot than most, but they could still aim and a higher chance of hitting their targets, just not when it's from a considerable distance.

It was careless to keep some people weaponless when we're entering a potentially dangerous area. A little protection could go a long way from certain death, so I pulled out my blade from my sheathe and handed it to Donna. "You can have this." I turned to Peter and Haskell. "Give your knives to Brighton and Lauren as well."

Peter and Haskell handed the blades to them, but they hesitated at first. They only took them once Donna urged them.

"Peter's gonna take point while I'm gonna guard our back," I said. "Jun, Haskell, you're gonna have to be in the middle. Anyone who doesn't know how to fight, stay in the middle and don't wander around. Understand?"

I made sure I saw everyone nodded and met my eye, making sure they were on the same page. Then, I made sure to get a headcount on how many people I had in the group just in case we got lost inside. I counted ten heads, including me.

"We're going in?" Peter asked, making sure everyone was ready.

I nodded. "Ready when you are."

And we went in.

The department store had barely any light on except for the one streaming through the broken window that we used to come in. I held my breath, realized it wasn't only me as I stared into the pitch blackness. No one dared make a move into the dark, not even me, and who knew what else lurked behind the aisles, hidden behind the racks of shirts, jackets, jeans, and other apparel? There was still that sweet, luxurious scent of citrus, rose, cherry, and lavender hanging in the air from the perfume aisle not too far from where we stood.

"Turn on your flashlights," Peter whispered, and I did.

There were only four others with flashlights aside from Haskell, Peter, and me. Aria, Yousef, Jun, and Alfie switched their flashlights on, dancing in the darkness like fireflies.

Something smelled dead nearby. I was sure of it.

Peter took a tentative step deeper into the store, checking his corners while I did the same, making sure no vector suddenly popped out behind the racks and took us off-guard. He glanced over his shoulder, cocked his head for the others to follow.

We walked in single file, taking the widest aisles as we navigate our way through the building. It was a large department store, typical for Macy's, but it was hard to tell where the exit was with the windows boarded shut.

"Most of this stuff is still here, untouched," Brighton whispered, pointing at the branded dresses and apparel hanging by the racks, which would have reached the high hundreds of dollars to purchase. But that was in the old world. Here, it's just free.

I walked a little behind, watching our tail, making sure no one was following us. I had Alfie and Jun in front of me for company, and they would occasionally stop to make sure I was following, which I appreciated.

I didn't see any movements, but then, I heard it; a low thump banging against something metallic. I couldn't quite point out what it sounded like: more hooves than a set of drums and more of a hiss than a gasping breath.

The further we went, the louder it became. Even Jun was becoming uncomfortable, and it wasn't helping my composure.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

Tapping that would stop for two seconds before looping back again. I already deduced that it wasn't from the speakers since there was no electricity. Instead, it sounded human but more than human. But the more I listened to it, the more the darkness crowded around me like I was being watched closer than I perceived.

And there it was. A low growl, not from an animal, but coming from a human's gurgled throat, as if it had swallowed too much liquid. There was only one thing that could sound like that.

We had a vector in our midst.

Peter quickened his pace, knowing that the vector was stalking us. It was only a matter of time before it found an opportunity to attack, and I wanted to be as far away from it as possible when it began. I frantically looked back, making sure it wasn't me it was stalking, and hereunder pitch black, I am at its mercy.

The thuds and thumps grew louder in intensity as if something could hear us approaching.

I don't like it, I thought.

"Me neither," Jun whispered. I didn't realize I said it out loud.

I gave him a curt nod, a gesture to let him know I was keeping an eye out for his back, and he would do the same for me.

We turned a corner, passing around the mannequins in sultry poses, propped up on an island in the middle of the intersection between three aisles.

"I see the door!" Peter said.

And that was enough.

The vector shrieked; its echoes reverberated into the darkness, signaling against the thumping to grow into a frenzy.

We froze on our spots, but that was a mistake.

A man in a polo shirt barreled through the mannequins and launched himself on top of Haskell and Donna, tackling them to the ground.

The vector didn't waste any time to start pouncing on the two women. Haskell got lucky and stabbed the vector just under the rib cage, but he had lodged it too deep into his flesh, stuck between the bones, and he lost her grip on the blade.

Haskell managed to wiggle out from underneath him, but Donna wasn't so lucky. The vector sank his teeth on the woman's right cheek, tearing off her flesh and almost half of her upper lips.

"Get off her!" Lauren tried to pull the man off Donna.

Peter stepped forward, bayonet in hand, and slammed the blade on the back of the vector's skull, the blade piercing through until it thrust into Donna's face as well.

Both of them twitched and went limp.

Brighton screaming and fled into the dark, heading to the aisles and deeper into the store.

"Brighton!" Aria screamed and went after her. "Brighton! Come back!"

Now, why would you do that?

"Bren!" Yousef exclaimed. "Aria! She went—!"

"I'm going after them," I said. "Peter, take the others out of here now!"

I rushed toward the aisles under the banner that said WOMEN'S SHOES, calling out Aria and Brighton's name, but I could only hear the latter's panicked screams. I followed her voice as Aria tried to calm her down, trying to find her as well. Brighton was in shock and out of her mind, I knew that, but it was unwise for us to stay here longer without knowing how many vectors could be waiting for an opportunity to strike.

I didn't realize Yousef had followed me. "I told you to stay back with the others!"

"No, I'm coming with you to find them," said Yousef.

I was about to argue and drag him myself toward where Peter was, but I heard Aria called out my name, "Bren! I found her!"

Yousef and I followed her voice to a couple of aisles just to our right. Brighton crouched into a fetal position on the floor as Aria coaxed her back to her feet.

"Do you hear that?" Yousef whispered to me. "It's getting louder."

I noticed it. The thumping, no, more like banging, like a thousand fists waiting to break in. All my hairs stood up when I realized there were more vectors here than I speculated.

"We gotta move! I don't know where that thing is coming from, but we have to go now!"

Brighton looked up, tears streaming down her face. Her eyes flicked to the bayonet attached to my shotgun, and like a switch, she started screaming again, yelling, "Get the hell away from me!" She took off further into the aisle before Aria could pin her down, and she went right.

I ran after her, yelling for her to stop.

"Get away from me!" Brighton shouted.

She was heading toward the door, where a sign read above: EMPLOYEES ONLY.

My stomach twisted like I was dunked into a cold river, my voice went up a notch into a strangled scream, "Brighton! Don't open that fucking door!"

But it was too late. She wasn't in her right mind, panicking in her fight to get away from me, and she frantically unlocked the door and opened it.

Vectors poured out and swallowed her underneath the pile of bodies, no doubt tearing into her flesh; her screams drowned out by their shrieks and roars. I swiftly pivoted and ran back to the aisle, screaming at Aria and Yousef to run away.

The vectors smashed against the aisles, taking as many racks and shelves with them, falling like dominoes. Peter was waiting by the open door leading into the strip mall, shouting for us to hurry. Aria and Yousef reached it first, and I could feel dozens of them were inches away from my back.

I refuse to die in this place. Not like this! Not like this!

I leaped through the door as Peter and Haskell slammed it shut behind me, just a second to spare before the vectors reached it. Peter grabbed a slender pole with a sign promising a 50% sale from Sephora and lodged it between the handles.

"That's not gonna hold them for long!" Haskell exclaimed.

I bounced off to my feet and started running. Aria and Yousef ran ahead while Peter and Haskell were behind me. It didn't take long for those many vectors to shatter the glass from inside, but at least the plywood covers would hold them for a few seconds longer, giving us enough time to put as much distance as possible.

And like I said, it only took a few seconds.

We heard another crash; hundreds of vectors' shrieks filled the air. I didn't try to look back, knowing they were sprinting toward us.

"Go left! Go left," Peter hollered.

I went left.

The others were already waiting by another barricade. They stood inside a cargo truck, which was lodged at the middle of the barrier; I realized it was built around it like some kind of entrance.

Jun and Alfie hauled Aria and Yousef first while I finally whirled around to face the horde rushing toward us. I paused, taking me a split second to reorient myself at the growing mass of bodies screaming for my blood.

There were hundreds of them!

Now I know why this shelter is abandoned!

These soldiers should have burned this place to the ground.

"How do you like this now, motherfuckers!" Haskell screamed as he put the M240B on the floor of the cargo truck, lay on his stomach, and Alfie knelt beside him, helping him feed the machine with bullets.

We let hell loose upon the vectors. I lost count on how many bodies went down, torn to shreds from limb to torso, my ears ringing from all the gunshots, especially from the machine gun. Blood covered the ground, went to the walls, and even went to my clothes to those that got close enough.

I turned around and grabbed Jun's hand, and he hauled me up to the truck. Aria, Yousef, and Alfie helped Haskell and Peter up.

"Close the door! Close the door!" Lauren screamed from the front.

Peter leaped for the cord dangling at the top and brought the gate sliding down shut before the surviving vectors could reach them.

That was close!

I breathed hard, panting, felt like my lungs were burning a thousand degrees. We still had to get away from the building, not knowing how many had possibly slipped through the cracks now after our stupid asses just let those things out. Peter grabbed my arm and put it around his shoulder, helping me back to my feet, and he dragged me out of the truck and as far away from the place as possible. Behind us, Haskell dragged the machine gun, the muzzle smoking after all those bullets spent, thanking Alfie for the assist.

I turned around, caught something dangling from the side of the building, and burst out laughing.

Peter looked at me curiously. "What's funny?"

I cocked my head to where I was looking just as Peter sat me down on the sidewalk for a short rest. "Look."

There. At the side of the strip mall above an Italian bistro, a huge banner read: DO NOT ENTER. INFECTED INSIDE!

The others stared at it, frowning. I felt bad for laughing, but I couldn't help it. I was so tired...

"We could have used that warning from the other side," Haskell said, chuckling.

Peter shrugged. "Maybe they forgot."

"Yeah. Maybe."

Suddenly, Peter grabbed Haskell's left arm. "Hoss..."

"What?"

"You're hurt. You're bleeding." Peter raised the arm he was holding. "Anyone got a first-aid kit?"

"Here. I got one," Alfie said, dropping his bag and tried to fish it out from underneath.

Lauren and Aria gasped once Peter pulled Haskell's sleeves. Yousef paled, and suddenly, I felt dizzy.

There, just between Haskell's wrist connected to the base of his thumb, was a bite.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162 33 13
Survival had never been hard for Harley, sure it came with a new set of struggles but ones that she mastered easily. Until now that is. Things start...
2.7K 262 37
The dead have never been so alive. After a deadly contagion reduced the world's population into mindless, undead monsters, the ruins of America still...
325K 16.6K 44
[Completed in 2023] ~ Book One ~ A virus is spreading fast, turning the victims into zombies. Aiden and his friends have to somehow survive in a wor...
14.5K 833 51
After the events of Swanston, Killian-Grey struggles to prove himself to the group after being branded as a traitor--especially when competing with h...