Poles Apart

By anuradha0104

Arvi has just returned from the UK after six tedious years, two of which she had not even visited home. A lot... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter: Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two (1)
Chapter Forty-Two (2)
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Epilogue
Afterword
All Strings Attached

Chapter Forty-Six

4.5K 292 190
By anuradha0104

Arvi

I wake up in the middle of the night when I feel the bed dipping on my side. Thinking it may be Rohan, I'm ready to drift back into sleep, but the threaded wedding chain around my neck presses uncomfortably on the side of my neck and memories of the wedding from tonight come to me in a rush.

My eyes flutter open as realisation dawns on me, and I sit up on the bed, ready to scream my lungs out, but the sudden movement from me seems to attract the intruder's attention, they are quick to turn on the bed lamp and shed some light onto their identity.

Arjun!

"What the fuck, Arjun?" I slap his arm, intending to hurt him. "You idiot! I nearly died of heart attack!"

Arjun places a hand on his chest in mock hurt. "We've been married a few hours and you're already like this? What happens when we're married a few years?"

If not because I hate being woken up and receiving a death scare, I would've thought his drama cute. "What are you even doing here?" I ask him, snatching my cuddle-pillow away from him.

"I'm sleeping here," he states, simply.

"But Athayya—"

Arjun cuts me off. "I don't care."

My eyes widen. What should one say to such unhindered honesty?

"Arjun—"

Arjun looks at me with a blank face, and I forget what I was going to say. This is what it is like, to have a husband? Don't get yourselves, husbands, like Arjun. This man's too stubborn.

"Your mother—"

"I don't care what my mother or your Athayya said, she's the same person."

"You're acting like a stubborn child now," I tell him, scooting back against the headboard, to support my aching back. An aching back is what all those rituals give you, don't know about a good husband.

"Tell me one good reason that doesn't include my mother— because I know for a fact that even she thinks this whole 'no sharing a room' thing is crap— and I will leave."

I look at him, faintly aware of the small helpless pout that my lips form. "It's not like I'm looking for reasons to make you leave."

"Then let me stay."

I look at him through narrowed eyes, trying to determine if he's lying about what Gayatri Athayya thinks.

A minute later, I concede, "no one knows that you slept here tonight, especially not Savi!" If anyone thought I gave Pranathi Vadina a hard time with the teasing: karma is a goddamned bitch, and Savi lives up to her brother's fame.

"I knew you wouldn't be able to resist," he says smugly, lying down on my cuddle pillow.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Sleep there," I tell him, pointing to the two-seater couch that is on the other side of the room.

Arjun rolls onto his stomach and closes his eyes. "Where? I'm sorry, I can't see, I'm sleeping."

Masking an amused chuckle, I slap his back before slipping back under the covers. "Turn the light off, stick to your side, and don't touch me!"

Arjun turns the light off, just like I asked, but the touch is quick to come. Before I can say anything, Arjun sighs into my neck, sending shivers down my spine. "I've dreamt of this for so long, but I will stick to my side if you want me to. Sneaking in here in the middle of the night was wrong as it is."

I turn on my side to face him and kiss his clothed chest, before draping an arm around his torso. I still need a cuddle-pillow, but a cuddle husband is better. "Good night."

Just as I float between the conscious and unconscious, I hear his whisper, "I love you."

The memory from earlier this night, quickly makes to the surface of my conscience, quickening my heart for the slightest moment before I slip into a dreamless sleep.

~.~.~.~.~

Arjun and I move away from our parents after taking their blessings, post the Satyanarayana Swamy Vratam; the reason we weren't allowed to sleep in the same room last night.

The bride and the groom, apparently, are not allowed to be in the same room before the Satyanarayana Swamy Vratam, I suppose whoever came up with these rules expect the newly-wed couple to have the energy to get at it.

All I have are aching limbs, burning eyes and paining cheeks; from all the sitting straight without back support, sleepless nights, and forced smiles.

"Vadina Garu," Harsh greets, a wide grin on his face as he folds his hands together in a namaste.

"Harsh," Arjun warns.

I force a smile back at Harsh. His ways of teasing me definitely get under my skin. "Harshvardhan Garu," I come back with a sickly-sweet smile and fold my hands in a namaste to return the greeting.

Harsh visibly cringes at the use of his full name. "You're good at this," he commends, tsk-ing to himself.

"Arvi, Arjun," Gayatri Athayya calls, "come here." The first day of my married life, you ask? Painful. The irony of the situation is that the annoyance is about the pleasantries exchanged.

~.~.~.~.~

On our wedding night— well, official wedding night— I sit on the decorated bed in the renovated room, while Arjun is probably being harassed by his sisters for money to be let into the room.

Knowing Savitri, he's coming in with an empty pocket.

While I'm still on that thought, the door opens and I hear loud cheering before Arjun slams it shut and bolts the door, and silence descends on the room once again.

I don't think I can get enough of seeing him in a kurta. I have to practically restrain myself from making eyes at him, lest I risk the chance of his head exploding because of his inflated ego.

Arjun turns to look at me, causing my heart to pace faster than it already is. In times like these, I really want to check my heartbeat. How many beats per minute would it make?

Arjun's lips widen into a soft smile rather than his usual smirk and he walks over to me in long strides.

"Hey, beautiful," he whispers, lowering himself onto his knee in front of me.

My eyes widen and I try to pull my legs up, onto the bed, but Arjun firmly holds my legs down, with his palms on my knees. "Don't worry, I'm not going to tickle your feet," he says.

When I don't move, he removes his hold on my legs and pulls out a small box from the pocket of his jeans.

It looks small enough, only to hold a ring.

I look at him curiously and he opens the box to show me a ring. I look down at my hand. I already have one; my engagement ring.

The ring in the box is a very simple, but an elegant one. It's a thin ring, decorated with small diamonds, evenly spaced out.

"I bought this one with the ring I gave you on our engagement day," Arjun explains, holding my left hand and bringing it to himself.

"Can I?" he asks, gently touching my ring with two of his fingers.

I nod, slowly, still unable to comprehend why I'm getting a ring. A wedding gift, perhaps?

"I was supposed to give you a proper proposal, even if after the engagement, but things just—" he shrugs, pulling the engagement ring off my finger. "I don't really have an excuse, but I wasn't supposed to ask you on that day, it just came out, and it wasn't really how I had imagined it.

"And then I didn't know when or how to give you the ring, so I'm doing it now," he completes, sliding in the new ring first and then the engagement ring. He kisses my hand, his warm lips soothing my nerves. "Do you like it?"

"Stand up, first," I tell him. It must hurt the knee to sit on it for so long. I scoot back on the bed, crushing the flowers under me, to make space for Arjun.

He stands up and sits on the bed, without a sound. I move closer to him and cup his neck, his skin hot under my cold touch. "Did you like it?"

"That is why I got it," he states, obviously.

I grin and kiss his stubbled cheek, before letting my head rest on his strong shoulder. "I love it, I love them both." I look at my finger with the rings, both complimenting each other. "They're both beautiful."

"Really?" Arjun asks, intertwining his fingers with mine.

I look up at him, with the same grin. "Really," I assure him.

He grins back at me. "You know, when I asked you if you'd marry me, that night in the gazebo?" he asks. I nod, the night still clear in my mind. "Didn't you think it was incomplete, without the ring? I kept thinking I'd done it all wrong. I had a plan, I wanted to take you out, get down on one knee and ask, do it all properly; the traditional way, but I couldn't keep it in that day and I ended up speaking more than I should have."

"Arjun?" I look up at him, my head still on his shoulder.

"Hm?" He looks down at me, his black eyes darting nervously between my own.

"I wouldn't want it any other way."

A genuine, full smile spreads onto Arjun's lips as his eyes shine with happiness, and for a moment, it feels as though the universe's existence doesn't compare to the magic that his smile is.

Though I want to kiss him right then, give myself to him in all senses; the first kiss we share after our wedding comes much later in the night when we're lying next to each other, talking about anything and everything under the sun, chatting and laughing and teasing— well, that him, more than me, as is usual— and amidst it all, simply enjoying each other's company.

For the first time that night, I feel as though I've always known Arjun and it's not because of the stories our mothers like to share.

I feel as if I've already spent a lifetime with him and know that despite how annoying Arjun is, he will be my safe space at the end of the day.

~.~.~.~.~

The next morning, I wake up because of the sun streaming into the room; taking the role of my mother, glaring at me to wake up.

"Arjun," I groan, pushing my face into my pillow and snatching Arjun's pillow from under his heavy head to completely block the light. "Close the curtains, please!"

I turn on my side, away from the light, and cover my face with Arjun's pillow. I can faintly hear the scratching of metal against metal and let the irritated scowl on my face relax. I toss Arjun's pillow away, and tug the blanket higher up on myself, relishing in its warmth.

However, my relief is short-lived; owing to the arse beside me. I first feel Arjun's heavy arm come around my waist, and before I can move his arm, Arjun brushes my hair to the side, off my back, and then comes the teasing touch. "I didn't know this was backless," he breathes, pressing a kiss against my back.

The touch alone is intimate enough to make me fully awake.

"Good morning, wifey," Arjun whispers in my ear, his breath tickling my skin. If the touch was one thing, the endearment a whole other.

I wink an eye open. "What's the time?" I ask groggily.

"7:00," he answers, and falls to the side, causing the bed to dip. The mattress is so comfortable!

"Are you crazy?" I ask him, turning to face him. "It's 7:00 in the morning, Arjun. I don't want to wake up at 7:00 in the morning!"

Arjun chuckles. "Don't you want to visit your parents?"

"God, no. I want to sleep." With that, I turn to my original position, leaving Arjun awake. Gosh, this guy. Why in the name of God would he wake up at 7:00 in the morning?

"What about your grandparents?" Arjun asks, wrapping an arm around my waist to pull me closer to himself, his chest against my back.

That is a little tempting... but why do I have to wake up now to visit them?

"I can wake up later and go over, aren't we supposed to stay over tonight, anyway?" I ask, remembering the ritual.

"Then we have time for other matters," he says, swiftly moving from his place behind me, causing me to fall flat on my back since I had left my body weight on him.

My eyes widen when he straddles me, his knees, digging into the mattress on either side of my hips.

"Wh- Wha- What are you doing?" I exclaim, trying to sit up but failing miserably because of my tangled-up saree.

"Well, since we can go to your parents' later, why not use this time for something better than sleep?" Arjun asks, smirking down at me.

Given other circumstances, I may have argued that nothing could be better than sleep, but now? It would be a wonder if one word made out of my mouth.

Arjun leans forward, resting both of his hands on the pillow, on either side of my head. He presses a kiss onto my cheek, before rubbing his nose against the area.

"What do you say, Janaki? Making love in the morning is actually healthy, too," he tells me, peppering kisses down my neck.

I hold the collar of his kurta, forcing him to come up and look at me.

"Don't tease," I warn him.

Arjun blinks dramatically. "I'm the one teasing you?" he scoffs. "Look at yourself. It's a wonder that all we did last night was talk."

My grip on his kurta loosens at his unabashed words. How does he say things like that?

"Is that a yes, then, Mrs Kona?"

I narrow my eyes at him, before tightening my hold on his kurta and pushing him to the side. Perhaps, because he was caught off-guard, he falls easily, giving me enough time to untangle myself from the sheets but not enough to run off.

"Now," he tuts, holding my wrist and tugging me towards him so that I land on him. "Janaki, baby," he coddles, adjusting me on his chest to stop me from moving. "That's rude," Arjun teaches his hold tightening on my bare waist to stop me from squirming. "Don't you know? Your husband is equivalent to God."

"Just mine, or is it the general notion?" I ask, looking at him through narrowed eyes. "Because I feel like I'm married to the devil incarnate himself."

"And in less than forty-eight hours, you feel this way?" he indulges me, his voice dramatic as he eases me into his hold.

"Well, I am to blame, I guess," I pretend to be self-pitying, "I mean, I knew I was marrying you even before I got on the mandapam; I've known for months now. I should've thought better."

"Baby," Arjun pretends to be horrified as he lays me down on the bed, raising himself onto his elbow while the other hand goes around my waist, strictly keeping me in place, without a chance to run. "What sort of sweet talk is this, on the second day of our marriage?"

"Baby," I repeat, mocking his faux-helpless tone. "I only do the real talk," I tell him. "The sweet talk is your speciality."

"Oh," he realises. "Then, tell me, really, how blessed are you to have me as your husband?"

I laugh at Arjun's way of fetching compliments. I pinch the slightest bit of air between my thumb and index fingers. "This much more blessed than you are, to have me as your wife," I answer, haughtily.

"Is that so?" he asks playfully, before his hands dig into my sides, making me squeal with laughter.

Even if my practicality wouldn't allow me to think that all my mornings and night would be this way, it allowed me to hope that these are the only mornings and nights I would remember ten years down the lane.

~.~.~.~.~

"Arvi Vadina, do you need a painkiller?" Savi whispers to me when I sit down next to her at the breakfast table.

I eye her warily. "What for?"

"Well, the very tiring activities that you must have indulged in, last night," she says, as though it is obvious.

I choke on my own spit and start to cough, and my sister-in-law oh-so-kindly offers me a glass of water as she pats my head to help me stop coughing.

"Thanks," I mutter between my coughing fit and take a sip of water from the glass to calm myself.

Once I'm calmed down, Savi's mischievous grin returns. Oh, isn't she the brother's sister! The resemblance!

"Maybe some concealer, then?" she offers. "Unless, of course, they're not in plain sight?"

Karma! Karma! This is karma, I tell you! It comes to bite you in the arse!

"Has anyone told you that you're very similar to your brother?" I ask her, touching my warmed-up cheeks with my cold palms to cool them.

"My brother, like your husband?" Savi inquires.

"Yes, him," I nod.

"Yes, who?" Savi presses, trying to mask the tease on her face, but perhaps that is the distinction between her brother and her; the former can put on a mask, undetected.

Heat rises to my cheeks once again, as I say it out loud. "Yes, my husband."

"Comparisons can only be made between equals, Arvi Vadina," Savi says animatedly, "you can't compare a body-less go-kart and a Ferrari."

Just as soon as she finishes those words, Arjun enters the conversation. "Of course not, Savi. I'm a Ferrari, and what are you?" he mocks, resting his hand on my chair's backrest as he leans against the chair. "An engine and a seat?"

"Nanna!" Savi yells, "Arjun's teasing me!"

"Savitri." Gayatri Athayya is quick to make an appearance.

Arjun smirks smugly, only to be shut off by his mother. "You, too!" she slaps his arm, making him wince over-dramatically. Gayatri Athayya slaps his arm, again. "Overreaction oddu." [(Telugu) Don't overreact]

"Both of you! Have you any shame at all?" she scolds the brother and sister, who share confused glances at each other. "You're supposed to make Arvi comfortable, not fight with each other!"

"We're not fighting," Savi argues.

"Are you uncomfortable, Arvi?" Arjun asks me, leaning down to look at me. My cheeks begin to burn at the sudden attention my way.

I shake my head slowly.

"Conflict of interest!" Savi declares. "Arvi Vadina's biased towards her husband!"

Arjun pushes her forehead. "Idiot."

"Arjun!" Athayya scolds. "Chellini kodathaara?" [(Telugu) Is it right to hit your little sister?]

"Chellini kottakudadhu," Arjun agrees. [(Telugu) I mustn't hit my little sister] "But Savi's a donkey."

Savitri gasps, and lunges at her brother, "Pandhi!" [(Telugu) Pig]

I catch Gayatri Athayya's horrified expression at her two grown children fighting like a cat and dog, Savi hitting Arjun mercilessly as he tries to defend himself against her persistent slaps.

The scene feels oddly like I'm at home, with my siblings, but also feels strangely unfamiliar. It's like I'm at home, but not at home, all at once.

A/N
Heyyyyy! First off, I'm very sorry about the long gap between the last chapter and this one! But I hope this one was worth the wait?

I wanted to update earlier, and I've been trying to write this for a week now, but I just couldn't get back in the zone. So, finally, today! I'm hoping I'll be able to write at least two chapters in the week now, and one of them is sure to be on Monday, like usual!

What do we think about the progress between Arvi and Arjun? I feel like there's been a lot of progress on Arvi's part. I mean, compare the girl to the first time she met Arjun to now. She talks, now!

My exams are cancelled!!!!! I don't think anyone might be able to realise just how relieving this unless their exams have been cancelled after the longest academic year in history!

So, fill me in on how you are all doing? How's life?

Until Monday,
With love,
A.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 1.7K 35
"Marriage" the most sacred bond in the world. It's called as a life time commitment.... But!!!! what will be the consequences.... if this lifetime co...
3.4M 133K 73
WRITTEN WHEN I WAS 16YEARS OLD SO MAY BE CRINGEY AND TOXIC, YET TO BE EDITED... Rich family. People would think she had it all, but did she actually...
3.7K 169 20
*Arnav Sehgal and Aarvi Sharma* Aarvi Sharma, 24 year old, normal ,cute , mature girl. but she is sacred from the name of love because of her past re...
90.3K 4.8K 38
Aadhya- The Phoenix's Fury. (Previously known as Aadhya- The Life Journey of a Woman.) We can't share all the things with parents, but friends. A f...