Quiver | Pietro Maximoff ✔

By asavagejoy

Eliza Erudite remembers very little of that day. She remembers the walk to the bakery, and she remembers the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
~ Not an Update ~

Chapter Twenty Seven

491 22 3
By asavagejoy

~Third Persons POV~

Bruce nodded, his smile fixed carefully in place. He didn't want to admit it, but he wasn't ready for Eliza to leave the facility. He felt such a paternal love for her - he wanted to keep her safe, and close.

How could he keep her safe, look after her and make sure they were okay, if the Maximoff group were leaving to travel to the other side of the world.

Eliza squeezed her hands softly, wringing them together as she gulped. She didn't want to upset him, and she could see his eyes beginning to glisten softly.

He reached out to shake her hand, his way of saying that he would be okay. She couldn't hold it together any more though, and was suddenly overcome with emotion. She stepped into his open arms, wrapping her arms around him as he enveloped her. They stood in a hug for several moments, both close to tears at the thought of being separated, if only for a few weeks.

She stepped back slowly, trying to laugh as she wiped a single finger underneath each eye, "I'm not dying, just going on holiday."

"And what a great holiday!" Bruce turned to look the other way, pretending to shuffle through a few sheets of paper, "and leaving tomorrow morning too."

She paused, her hand shaking a little. "Actually, it's leaving tonight. About 1am. Pietro got a call from the airport, they moved the flight forwards."

"Oh?" Bruce tapped his finger on the notebook on his desk, beside him. "Well then you definitely need to go and pack."

He practically hurried her out of the room, a mess of stumbling words and waving arms. He almost tripped over his shoe as he swung the door open, patting her shoulder as she stepped into the hall.

She stared at the closed door, brows crinkling as her throat tightened. She didn't have any family left - she wasn't claiming her brother or father - and Bruce had become her only father figure.

After a moment, she shook her head, fluffed her hair back behind her ears, and turned to walk towards the bedrooms. Pietro's door was wide open, as was Wanda and Ravens.

They were shouting to one another, calling about what toiletries they should bring, what weather they would be experiencing, and how many clothes were really too many.

She peered into Pietro's room, seeing him dangling over the bed as he stretched, trying to fish something out from underneath. She carefully lined herself behind him, then climbed over so she could lie lazily across his back.

"Hurngh," Pietro grunted as his girlfriend sunk onto his back. He swung an arm up and behind, gently tapping her, "are you okay, my Eliza?"

"Hmm," she mumbled, resting her face into his shoulder. Her voice came out almost like a grunt, syllables over lapping into an incoherent mess of words.

"Now you see, this is not my first language," Pietro flopped his arms back over the edge of the bed, his fingers scrabbling for a book he had accidentally kicked under it a few weeks ago, "but I am pretty sure what you just said was that you're in love with me and you'll do anything I say because I'm amazing."

Eliza snorted, and carefully rolled off his back, and onto the pile of pillows and blankets. "Pietro, I love you, but I will not do anything you say."

"Will you do some things?"

"Depends what."

"Pack your bag."

She frowned, her eyes pulling to the open window. "I will."

"We have six hours before we need to leave and you haven't picked a bag to use yet, let alone pack clothes." He finally grabbed the book, then swung himself upright and back onto his bed. He stretched his legs out, tilting his head to the side with a concerned smile on his face, "if something was wrong, would you tell me?"

"I'm okay," she whispered, her fingers tracing the green patterns on her arms, "I'm just leaving Bruce... and I know that sounds ridiculous-"

"Nonsense," Pietro had a slightly bemused smile on his face now, "you are worried about leaving your family! That is okay." He shuffled up the bed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders once he was sat beside her, "but just imagine how proud he will be of you. And all the things we can tell him when we get back. We are not leaving forever."

She nodded, resolution fixing in her soul as she began to feel genuine excitement for the holiday ahead, "let's go on holiday." She squeezed his leg, but yelped as he dragged her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her waist.

She was giggling as she played with the arms that held her up, his kisses tickling her neck and collar.

They only stopped when Wanda knocked on the open door, "have you got any space in your bag?" She asked, her accent lifting her question.

Pietro finally let go of Eliza as she stumbled to her feet, "I've not quite finished packing yet, but I'll let you know when I'm finished?"

Wanda smiled, nodding in agreement with Eliza as she left. But then she turned to face Pietro "the walls are very thin."

"Believe me, I am aware." He retorted, their eyes meeting.

Wanda glanced away, but the silence was loud as neither wanted to admit that they had heard the other talking and laughing with their respective partners.

So they packed, each confined to their own room.

Eliza paced hers, lifting items of clothing, and dropping them back onto the bed, getting distracted by the occasional notification flashing across her phone.

Pietro napped. His speed helped him analyse his packing quickly, and he anticipated that getting the three women to the airport and onto the plane would be stressful. So he dozed, the occasional snore filling the room.

Raven and Wanda didn't have too many clothes or belongings, but it was the big makeup bags, and jewellery wraps for all of Ravens silver piercings and rings, that were pushing on the seams of their bags.

Eliza finally finished packing a couple of hours before the car would take them to the car park. She wandered into Pietro's room, but he wasn't there.

She was about to go and find him, when Bruce rounded the corner. He looked a little sheepish, but stood taller when he saw her.

Eliza pulled her hands out of her pockets, smiling softly as he stepped closer. "Are you okay?"

He nodded, "I'm just checking. Have you got everything?"

Eliza pushed her door back open, and gestured to her packed bag with a jacket and pair of shoes next to them on the bed.

"Passport?"

She picked up her small handbag, and lifted out her passport, with a smile.

"Plane tickets?"

She pulled the tickets out of the passport.

"Okay," he patted his chest, then placed his hand into the pocket of his shirt. "Have this."

He extended his hand, offering a roll of bank notes. "I know you're inheriting money from your family, but I also know that it will take a little while for that to happen. This is some spending money, from me and Thor. Get something nice, or go for a few nice meals, or..."

Eliza slowly took the money, her mouth hanging open as she counted it. "Bruce, I cannot take this-"

"You have to." He was firm, but there was a small twinkle in his eye, "I won't accept you giving it back."

"But it's so much-"

"Did you know there is a conversion from Asgardian currency to the American dollars?" The pair turned to look at Thor, who was grinning at them, his hands tucked neatly into his jacket pocket. "It has taken a while for the figures to be confirmed, but with Starks help, we have been able to get this money for you. It is a gift."

"Oh, well, thank you! Both of you, thank you!" She reached out, hugging them both.

"Now, as you have all of your things ready, would you like to have dinner with us? I thought I could cook something."

Eliza nodded, her smile stretching across her face, "yes please, that would be nice."

And the trio walked to the kitchens, where Bruce already had the beginnings of a dinner prepared.

***

The bags were piled in front of the door, stacked on top of the other.  Peter was leaving for school too, and he was stood beside the others, his bag slung over his shoulder. He was sharing quiet words with Tony, their gentle expressions morphing into smiles as they wrapped their arms around each other in an act of goodbye.

"We shall come and visit," Pietro shook his hand, before they hugged, "as soon as we get back."

"You better," Peter mumbled into his shoulder, before leaning back. He then hugged Wanda and Raven, before standing in front of Eliza.

"How come you're leaving now?"

He shrugged, "I just... I don't want to be here by myself when all of you guys go. And you know... I need to do all my extra reading without the distractions."

"What distractions-"

"He's just grown up so quickly!" Thor held one hand to his chest and the other to his face, "he's so talented, a true scholar!"

Peter pointed at Thor, with a faint smile. "Plus, I told Ned I would show him my room and stuff and he wanted to help set up this really cool Lego set I've saved to take back to school."

"That sounds like fun!" Eliza grinned, before wrapping him in a hug, "thank you for everything."

"Its nothing-"

"You're the reason why I'm here Pete," she whispered gently, "I really do appreciate it. I mean it."

He grinned, and the remaining Avengers gathered at the door as he left the building, ready to start his own adventure.

The group dispersed slowly, before an alarm echoed throughout the building. "That's for us," Pietro glanced at the time on his phone, "we need to be heading off."

The four young adults stumbled over each other, dropping bags and bouncing into the walls as they pushed their feet into shoes and pulled jackets over their arms. Bruce, Thor and Tony stood in a line, hands tapping nervously as they looked at them.

"Have a good trip," Bruce's voice wobbled, but he gulped, forcing the lump in his throat back down. Thor gently wrapped his arm around his back, squeezing his hip comfortingly.

"I'll text you when we get to the airport." Eliza attempted to smile as nerves began tightening her chest.

"It is a shame Loki isn't here to say goodbye." Wanda murmured, "please can you tell him thank you?"

"Tell him yourself." The trickster gods accented voice was unusually quiet as he stepped out from behind Thor.

Wanda pulled him into a tight hug, as they said their goodbyes.

"Tell Clint I might ring him when we get there." Pietro told Tony, peering over Elizas head as she leant down to triple check she had packed a charger.

"He already knows." Tony nodded, "you better be leaving if you want to get there soon."

The four nodded, sharing excited smiles before stepping into the cool air outside, lifting their eyes to the sky. This was a new adventure.

And it was all theirs.

***

"We have five minutes." Pietro stared at Raven as she glared at him.

"Yes, and I'll be quick. The plane won't leave without us."

"You don't know that."

"Pietro," Wanda looked up from inspecting her makeup, covering the green marks of her Hulk on her cheek, "she won't miss the flight."

"You could always give me a lift?" Raven teased, "then I would definitely be back in time."

Pietro was about to utter a string of curses in her direction when Eliza placed a calming hand on his arm. He relaxed, and went back to tapping his toe on the floor as his eyes fixated on the boards flashing the departure of the planes.

Three minutes later and Raven was trudging back to the group sat around the pile of their on flight luggage. Eliza was looking stressed as she flung the contents of her bag around, desperately looking for her phone that was ringing loudly, a tinny noise causing more people around them to turn and stare.

"Hello," she was speaking loudly, flustered from the embarrassment of strangers staring at her. She subconsciously checked her reflection in the mirror, regretting not letting Wanda touch up the concealer to hide her Hulk.

You are embarrassed of me?

'No.' Eliza gritted her teeth as she repeated her greeting into the phone.

"Eliza! Are you at the airport?"

"Yes," she smiled at Pietro as Bruce let out a sigh of relief, "I did text you when we got here though."

"Have you got your passport?"

"You already made me check-"

"Have you got it?"

"Yes," Eliza held it as he sighed again.

"And all of your tickets?"

"I promise you Bruce, we have four passports, four tickets, and all of our belongings."

"I just want to make sure you're safe... promise you'll stay in touch?" 

She glanced around the group, as Pietro began gathering the bags together, forcing Wanda and Raven to stand up and take responsibility for their carry on luggage.

She took the hint, and began to stand up, moving her phone to her other ear as she swung her bag onto her shoulder, "I promise Bruce. We have to go now... I love you."

On the other end of the phone, Bruce gulped. He mumbled back that he loved all of them too, and wished again that they would all stay safe.

He waited for her to hang up.

He slouched on his bed, before leaning and falling onto his back. He had dedicated the last few months of his life to Eliza, and by extension, Pietro, Wanda and Raven. And although he wished the circumstances in which they had met were different, he couldn't help but be grateful that he got the chance to meet her, mentor her, become a father figure for her.

He resigned himself to the fact that the facility would be a lot quieter now than it had been, and the distractions of the young adults would eventually return. But then what would happen? He doubted Eliza would want to join the Avengers to fight, so where would she go? And what would she do?

He stood up, pocketing his phone, and pushed his feet into a warm pair of slippers. They slapped the floor of the hall as he walked the silent corridors, the lights bright, but this only accentuated the quiet.

He peered into the doorways to the kitchen and labs, letting his thoughts mull around his mind.

He finally pushed open the door to the 'kids' room - the room Tony had affectionately named, as it had become a small safe haven for the younger Avengers, who wanted to put on silly films and eat snacks as they relaxed from the stress of their worlds.

He bent down, wincing as his bones cracked with his age, and dropped slowly into a bean bag. An unopened bag of crisps was next to it, and he opened them, before reaching for the remote that had been stranded on the sofa next to it.

Thor found him in there half an hour later, a cartoon playing with bright, cheery music following the animal characters around the screen.

He knew Bruce would take their leaving hard, and, checking that Bruce wasn't crying, dropped into a bean bag beside him.

Bruce silently offered him a crisp - now he was on his third packet - and Thor accepted.

On the other side of the facility, Tony was staring at the closed door to Peter's bedroom. He had already had to say goodbye to Peter before. He was proud of the man he was growing into, finding himself beaming at the thought of his Peter getting to the school of his dreams and hopefully graduating with the grades he always hoped for.

He could see the talent, the potential, but he could also see how the young mans childlike wonder made him so great to be around. Even when the situation looked so bad that even Tony doubted there could be a positive outcome, Peter would shrug, offer him a sweet, a five minute break to talk about other things, then would give him a solution.

Peter was like his son, and it never got any easier saying goodbye, even if he was only gone for a few months at a time.

He dropped his hand from where it had fallen to resting on the handle, and pushed himself back down the hall.

On his way out of the building, to a local place where he knew he could find Rhodey and a strong drink, he could hear the sound of squeaking.

Frownig, he turned back, and found the source coming from the kids room.

He pushed the door open just in time to see three mice waddling off the screen of the TV, chased by a cat.

He was about to swear about Peter leaving the television on, when he heard laughing. He peered around the sofa, and saw Bruce and Thor squashed on bean bags.

"Do you miss your kids too?"

Thor turned to face him, as Bruce slid a soft bean bag in his direction. "Yes."

"Good, I do too."

He sat down next to them, completing the trio, and scrabbled through their snack pile.

He picked out a carton of orange juice, and as he slid the straw into the top, mumbled, "have you got anything stronger?"

***

Five days later, Eliza finds Pietro sitting on the balcony of their hotel. He's nursing his drink, pondering the recent events, but smiled when he saw her wrapped in his jumper, her hair scraped messily back in the early sun.

She slid into the chair beside him, and he reached out to grasp it, pulling it, and her, closer to him.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, his lips pressed to her ear in a kiss.

In the other room, Wanda and Raven are still lying lazily in bed, music surrounding them as explosions of red and purple mist fill the space, matching their emotions, their love, their passion, for one another.

"I love you," Pietro traces Elizas cheek, his words breaking their sleepy silence.

"I love you too." She scrunches her nose a little, her eyes glinting cheekily as she turns, placing her hands on his cheeks and kissing him sweetly on the lips.

This chapter of their story ends like most summers do - the exciting and often dangerous adventures they had been on now felt sort of fun as they were able to look back on them with a smile. The picnic with the Avengers, the reunions in hotel rooms, the early flirtations and chaste kisses.

But like all adventures, they were tiring, leaving scrapes and scars along the skin and heart.

Their first love, their first kisses, the new adventures that now lay open before them.

They were ready to explore them all. Starting here, today.

Tomorrow, who knows what they would find.

But right now, curled up on the balcony watching the sun rise, the couple had each other.

And that's all they needed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405 26 6
The mission was simple. Go out in Queens and pretend to be a hero in a spandex suit and try to catch the eye of the Avengers. When they trust you, ta...
2.5K 68 16
A teammate lost their life, yet no one grieves too greatly. After walking around in her room, Natasha finds a box with a note attached. The note expl...
934K 20K 34
"You didn't see that coming?" Pietro smiled and kissed my lips "I'm ice cold Pietro, I would've never expected this." I blushed "You were never cold...
127K 3.8K 36
Y/N is a 17-year-old girl who has just escaped Hydra after years of torture to make her the ultimate mutated weapon they call Cheshire. Her powers in...