Narnia's Shadow // Peter Peve...

By TrutherReal

She was a girl from inside the wardrobe. He was a boy from outside the wardrobe. ~~~~ "You're joking?" I scof... More

Cast
Playlist
Prologue
Never Be One of Them
Trust
Anger and Frustration
A Blush
Wish Granted
My Prophecy
Sacrifice
Between Life and Death
Kissed By An Angel
What is Love?
Love Is... Choosing You
Gone
Epilogue
BOOK 2

Our Last Hope

280 10 1
By TrutherReal

Its been a hundred years since everything was covered in white snow. The color might have been beautiful every Christmas before the White Witch. The way the white glistened on the ground and crunched beneath you feet — or hooves —, or the sun reflected against the crystals left on the trees. Father Christmas hasn't been seen since the last Christmas in Narnia.

The last time Aslan has ever been seen was fifty years ago, when He saved me from terrible faith and being succumbed into an icicle. He talks to me through my dreams on most nights but lately all has been quiet. I used to joke to Him about how much I wish to just have a normal dream for once... but now that it is here, I don't think that I like it as much as I would have. It leaves an uneasiness in me. Like something is about to happen and no matter what, I won't like it.

I cursed as I stumbled down the steep hill. I wanted to curse at Aslan, too, for taking my stealth and balance away but He hears and knows all. My knuckled turned white, gripping my clock tighter together to block the cold. The snow was falling again and the night wasn't making it any better.

"Oh, how I wish I had my powers right now." I thought.

The snow made it difficult to walk in — let alone run —, it is dangerous to go out in Narnia at night, but Badger sent out a call and I had to go detect what it was. You can't leave a wounded friend behind to die.

I tripped over a branch and fell face first into the snow. I groaned in frustration at the dress that caused me to topple over before getting up and running forward again. Making sure to grab a fist-full of the dress so I won't fall this time.

It wasn't till much further down where I saw four wolves surrounding Rupert, a fox that I had sent before me in case I didn't make it in time. Which is a rare occurrence for me to be late but this snow was proving to be a challenge tonight.

I pulled my hood forward making sure my face was hidden from view, glaring at the wolves who are followers of Jadis, watching with cautious eyes as they spoke. Not caring about the consequences I curse at Aslan for taking away my lack of hearing like an eagle. Since now I am stuck with hearing like a puny human.

I didn't need to know that danger was coming — it being an old friend — I cocked my golden bow pulling back the golden string that was pulled from Aslan's very mane. A glowing golden arrow — illuminating my face  —appeared out of the magic in the air, making sure that it would never miss its target. I lurked in the shadows behind a tree waiting for the perfect time to strike.

Rupert yelped in pain as a wolf attacked him in the side and I knew I couldn't wait any longer. His cry making me grit my teeth in anger.

"Let him go!" I shouted, the arrow still cocked and targeted at the wolf. Which one? I don't care but one of them is getting an arrow pierced into their side.

"Ahh," Maugrim — I recognize — taunted, "If it isn't the Shadow of Narnia. The Shadow? Is that what they call you?"

Even though they couldn't see my face it remained blank.

"I said; Let. Him. Go." I told him in a calm voice that could send a chill down the fiercest of Narnia warriors. "I won't ask again."

"We both know you won't do it." And without another word, I let the arrow fly. I smirked in triumph when it pierced Maugrim's hind leg. He growled in pain, throwing a glare my way.

"I guess you were wrong."

I pulled back the string for another arrow to appear. Knowing that he wouldn't be able to fight with a wounded leg, Maugrim gestured the other wolves to leave and the one who had Rupert in his mouth, dropped him harshly onto the ground running after his pack.

With a sigh, I loosened my stance and the arrow disappeared to wait to be used another time. Strapping it around my back, I walked over to Rupert carefully, analyzing his wounds. He had a gash on his side, the blood already coloring the always white floor. I was getting ready to pick him up and take him back to camp when I heard a crunch in the snow behind me. With fast reflexes, I reached for my bow and aimed at the intruder putting myself between him and Rupert.

I expected only one person because of the crunch but I was surprised to see three people and two beavers. I recognized the Beavers as I would sometimes stopped by their house on my way to Tumnus' home for our usual reports and to have a cup of tea. But that didn't give me any reason to let down my guard with the other three. They could be held hostage or using them as bait or a bargain.

I analyzed each and every one of them.

It was a boy and a girl. I noticed something (or someone) hiding behind the, who might be the oldest, boy's leg but would peak out to see in curiosity. The boy was tall with strange brown hair (remember it is night making it harder to see what color it really was) and he looked to be my age if not a bit younger. He wore an oversized coat of fur, which was also strange because they all were, and he only wore a buttoned shirt and pants underneath. You can see his rosy checks and that he wasn't used to the cold weather. Which made me more alert on who these people are, wearing their weird clothes and their confused looks straight at me. But I had to honor the way he stood protectively in front of the two girls willing to take the blow for them, means they are quite close.

The girl, who I am presuming to be the second-born child, was beautiful. I knew that wherever she walked soldiers would bow down to her and offer to take her hand in marriage. She could charm them if she wanted to with her freckles dusted on her cheeks. Or, her small nose. The girl also wore a fur coat and her gown was weird, unlike the one that I was wearing. To me, it seemed unfit for someone with her beauty. Her hair was long and darker than the boy in front of her but shorter than him.

I couldn't get a good look at the other person hiding behind the boys legs. But I caught the same dark hair like the older girl and big, round curious eyes. I caught innocence something that shouldn't be here to see the war around them.

"Mr. and Mrs. Beaver," I greeted. "Are you alright?"

"Why, of course, dearie!" Mrs. Beaver said. "Never better."

"Who are you?" The boy asked. I narrowed my eyes at him sparing him a quick glance.

"I should be asking you the same thing." I retorted. The tense silence was almost suffocating but neither one of us wanted to let down our guard; him with glares and mine with arrows.

"Stand down, Miss," Rupert whispered behind me. "The Beavers came with them willingly." His wince made me put down the bow and focus on his wounds, the puddle underneath him becoming bigger.

"Perhaps, we should explain our situation." A voice behind the boy said. I met eyes with the small child with hair down to her chin. I was correct about the innocence. She smiled kindly and I couldn't help but smile back at the crooked teeth.

———————————

While Mrs. Beaver was tending to Rupert's wounds, Mr. Beaver was explaining what had happened. I listened intently, my hood already down revealing my face and my long, wavy hair that was in a braid that cascaded down, almost touching the log below me. A campfire was burning in front of us to block out the cold — well as much as it should anyway. I could see the strangers' faces much better and you could see that they were related.

The little girl, Lucy, was the one who first discovered Narnia meeting Tumnus. Oh, how I wanted to ask about him so much! But I need to set aside my feelings for now to listen to their story. Lucy was adorable. I vowed to myself to protect her from danger. To keep her innocence intact as much as possible. I was exposed to war at a very young age, no child is allowed to experience the same thing... ever. Her coat was too large for her that it swallowed the girl whole. But it kept her warm because of her small form.

Then, the second, their brother Edmund ran off to the Witch's castle. Peter said that he got away at the Beavers' den. They saw when he entered the Witch's castle. Which automatically puts him as the betrayer; if he is siding with the White Witch, that is.

The third, Susan, was enchanting when the flames from the fire shinned on her just right. Her hair is long but a lot shorter than mine. When you are always running, like I am, you don't have time to cut your hair. You could see the stubbornness in her eyes but the one who always wants to be listened to.

Now, the last, Peter, is quite handsome. Mind you, if I were to say it out loud I would immediately deny it. His hair wasn't brown like I originally thought; instead it was blonde with brown tints in a few spots. Almost like Aslan's mane but lighter. I didn't need my enhanced eyesight to see the light freckles dusting across his nose.

"These are the prophecy that Aslan has been talking about!" Mr Beaver exclaimed, pulling me out of my thoughts. I snapped my head up at His name.

"What?" I said in disbelief. "You're joking?" I scoff. "These are the prophecy?" I pointed at the three children sitting beside them. It was like it was a joke that wasn't even laughable. It reminded me of when Tumnus would try to make me laugh but it would fail making me laugh either way.

"Yes, sweetheart. You cannot deny the coincidence that is happening all around us." Mrs. Beaver told me. She wasn't wrong, on the way here the crystals that would hang over the cave where we are camping at were gone this morning but I thought that someone finally got annoyed by it and chopped them off. Curse Mrs. Beaver and her motherly tone!

I sighed, glancing at the three children; two were sitting awkwardly while one was trying to convince me with her kind smile. I'll give them points for trying to be polite and not stare at my eyes. But they seem to not notice that I can feel their stares on the side of my face. It frightens others, bringing fear to my enemies. Peter and Susan flinched when I turn to look at them while Lucy stared in awe.

"So much for a prophecy."

The silence grew sharper and uncomfortable as my words settled into the people's ears. The oldest two were glaring at me so hard that I could feel the burns on the side of my face but the little one was looking between us in confusion. Not sparing another glance at them I turned my attention to Rupert, who yelped at every dab Mrs. Beaver pressed on his wound.

"Mission report?" I asked him. Silently gesturing about the situation with Tumnus and the Badgers.

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did — OW! OH!" He yelped in pain, squirming underneath the beaver's paws.

"Are you alright?" Lucy asked him in true concern. It has been so long since someone has been so kind that the feeling is foreign to me.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite." Rupert joked before wincing again.

"Stop squirming!" Mrs. Beaver scolded him. "You're worse than Beaver on bath day."

Mr. Beaver leaned forward, "Worst day of the year." Lucy giggled. I smiled a tad bit at the sound.

"What happened to Tumnus?" I asked him as a friend. I needed to know if he was alright. Rupert didn't reply giving me the answer I didn't want. "I should have been quicker." I scolded quietly to myself.

"If you did, the Witch would have gotten to you and the Shadow of Narnia would have been lost." Rupert said.

Gasps echoed around me as my identity was discovered. I glared at the fox I call friend, who smiled sheepishly.

"You are the Shadow that Mr. Tumnus spoke about." Lucy blurted. "He spoke so much about you." I smiled. Of course, he did.

"I've known him for as long as I can remember." I spoke. "He is my best friend and my most trusted ally." I sucked in a sharp breath as the thought of something terrible happening to him at the captive of the Witch.

I abruptly stood up catching everyone off guard, I knew that it was going to be dangerous for us to be out here for long without reporting back to camp. I gave a sharp nod to Rupert who stood giving a nod back.

"Thank you for you kindness." I said with gratitude. "But we best be going."

"You're leaving?" The youngest pouted, I almost hesitated at her silent plead for us to stay.

Rupert bowed, "It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself asked me to gather more troops."

I snapped my head over to him in surprised. Aslan spoke to him? When was the last time the two spoke? I was disgusted with myself when a hint of betrayal shivered through my bones. But I couldn't help it. How can Rupert have spoken to Him when He hasn't sent me a vision since the last full moon.

"You've seen Aslan?"

"What's he like?"

The Beavers ask him. But my comrade turned to me causing their eyes to wander to me in confusion and curiosity.

"Ask her."

I was silent, not knowing what to say.

"He is everything you have ever heard. I am glad to have Him on our side against the White Witch." I looked down at each and every one of their faces, settling on the fox's. "When did you last speak with Him?"

"Five nights ago."

Again, the pang struck.

I turned to look at the snow that was slowly melting because of the fire burning. Have I done something wrong? Surely, Aslan would have told me the reason for Him to stop our dream visits.

"But we're not planning fighting any witch." Susan argued, breaking me from my thoughts but I didn't act like I acknowledged her presence.

"But surely, King Peter, the prophecy!" Rupert said, the hope still shined through. A tinge of hope cracked through my heart, praying to all that is blessed by His Mane that this person, this prophecy, would say yes and save our land from the evil that has take over.

"We can't go to war without you." Mr. Beaver tried to add his convincing comment but I knew the small glance to his sister, Susan, was enough to smash all my hope into smithereens. Bringing anger into my veins.

"We just want our brother back." His excuse was. If he wanted his brother back so badly, Narnia would fight to get back their third King. But first, he and his sisters need to help us battle against the Witch's reign.

Does he not understand all that Narnia and its people have lost? Does he not know what I have lost?

I could only do so much before the struggle weighs me down. I always thought that the prophecy was a whole bunch of old, cold wood. But seeing them in front of me now proves me wrong. Aslan has always said that I was secretly a part of the written prophecy. Which was why he took away my abilities. I scoff at the very mention of my name in the prophecy that doesn't even rhyme.

The Shadow of Narnia. The Shadow, is what they call me. Not Natasha. The Shadow.

"Rupert, you go report back to camp. I will stay here with the others." I ordered. Rupert looked like he was going to protest but the look I gave him was enough to shut his mouth and run the opposite way the wolves went.

———————————

As the night grew longer, they settled into the hard, cold ground while I stayed up to keep watch. Being out in the woods is dangerous enough — now, we are sleeping in them so you never know what dangers might be lurking. Soon, their snores were the only thing you could hear a mile away (especially Mr. Beaver). The fire burned out a while after they went to sleep but I didn't bother lighting it up again because the moon was the only light I needed.

A feeling of melancholy surrounded me as I remember Tumnus and how he was quiet when we first met. He stuttered and blushed because I was the first girl that had ever spoken to him. I would tell him that he had enchanted me with his double flute.

I didn't jump this time when I heard the crunching footsteps coming up from behind me. The person sat down with a grunt, alerting me that it was Peter. The silence covered us like a warm blanket. It wasn't awkward but rather comfortable. Strange, usually the silence would be tense. Especially since, I was angry at him earlier. Still am, to be honest.

It just leaves me in disbelief. How can he just sit there and deny the prophecy? I understand him wanting to protect his brother and sisters. But, truly, there is a part of him that wants to protect Narnia.

"You know, I used to walk these woods growing up," I told him. "Secretly talking to the trees as they told stories of when green used to cover the land. When Christmas still existed." I sigh. Peter didn't say anything. And I didn't expect him to. "I protect the Narnians because it is my duty. Even though some only think of me as a ghost story. Even though they are disgusted that a human is the 'Shadow of Narnia'."

"Your human?" Peter asked in surprise. I didn't need to look to see that his eyes were wide. "I thought you were a magical creature hidden in disguise."

"Why?" I raised my eyebrows at his accusation. "Because, of my eyes?" A snort left my mouth. "I used to be." I admitted. "Long before you came. I was eighteen when Aslan took them away." I whispered; not sure if I was speaking to him anymore. I shook my head not wanting to tell a total stranger my entire life story. Pity; is something that a warrior does not need in their life.

I turn completely toward him to make sure that I have his attention.

"Your Majesty, you have nothing to lose — other than your family," I told him, "but me? I have everything. A lot of people do. And without you and your family's help, Narnia will be lost forever. Please, don't bring them hope if you are only going to destroy it. Son of Adam, you are our last hope."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

493K 14.8K 31
"You're not going anywhere, if anything your little boyfriend will just have another seat next to you." Peter threatens. A sharp laugh fell uncontrol...
388K 8.5K 55
"You're so beautiful" He whispered, the both of them shocked that he actually said it to her in the voice he had said in it. He didn't regret it one...
58.3K 2K 51
The Pevensie siblings have ruled Narnia for many years. Narnia has entered its Golden Era, filled with peace and prosperity. However, a new threat is...
60.4K 1.5K 52
Her mother was one of the few who still believed Aslan would return. Her father and even her brother didn't believe much anymore... And even after h...