sparks

By maywashere_

༄ how long can a spark last, before it burns out? its the year 1984- and george has just started boarding sch... More

prologue
1 - the beginning
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14 - Rome
15 - Rome
16 - Rome
17 - Rome
18 - Rome
19 - Rome
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29 - London
30 - London
31
32
33
34
35 - Boston
36 - Boston
37
38 - until the end
39 - a new beginning

2

18.4K 651 4.3K
By maywashere_

George

"Sorry, love, your name again?"

"George, Davidson" I smile at the receptonist.

Her fingers fly over the computer faster than I can register as she continues chatting to me.

"Oho! Yes, yes, I spoke to your mother," she states, waggling a bony finger at me, "she seemed like a lovely woman!" I don't know what to say, so I mumble an awkward 'thank you' as I wait for her to tell me where to go.

After peering around a little, I become more and more aware of how big this room actually is, of how big everything seems to be around here.

Not only is half of the room polished beyond belief, but theres a round twisted staircase just behind the nice receptonist lady, and don't even get me started on the golden and bronzed paintings dotted around the room. Nerves would be an understatement to what im feeling right now.

"Alright, George" the lady starts, whipping my head back around to face her, "you're in building 2a, but most people just call it the left wing, room 35."

"Thank you" I smile again, my cheekbones now starting to hurt from all of the poised up smiling i've had to do today.

A couple seconds after I turn to make my way for a door, I realize I actually haven't a fucking clue as to what direction I should be going.

"Im really sorry" I whisper, turning back to the lady "could y-"

"Could I walk you to your room?" she asks with a sympathetic look, like shes looking at a lost puppy.

"Yeah, do you mind?"

"Not at all" she responds, waving a hand in the air as if it were nothing, "even I still get lost, and i've been working here for nearly 30 years."

"30 years?" I ask, picking up my bags to follow her through a big set of black doors.

"Mhm, it doesn't feel that long though, time flies!" she laughs, her short heels echoing loudly around the empty hallways.

"Do you not get sick of the boys around here?" I tease, just trying to make light conversation.

"Oh some of them can definitely be of menace" she tells me, "but I wouldn't trade it for the world, two of my grandchildren graduated from here just last year."

"Grandchildren?" I scoff, "you don't look old enough to have grandchildren."

"Oh, stop it!" she laughs again.

See, when you've been stuck around adults for the entirety of your life, you become pretty good at communicating with them.

After weaving through a couple more doors, she leads me through a small courtyard and up to a completely separate building.

If I thought the entrance building was big, then I wasn't at all prepared for this one.

"Here we are" she claps, bringing me up to what I hope is my final set of doors for a while.

"Just continue down this hall, up the first set of stairs you see, and just keep going straight until you see room 35, you can't miss it."

"Thank you" I smile again, but this time its not a bullshitted sort of smile, I really mean it.

"No worries, and if you ever run into any bother, just ask for Maisie at reception" she nods, patting me gently on the arm before turning away, "you take care now."

"I'll try" I mumble when shes out of earshot, not taking a second glance over my shoulder before edging my way through the entrance.

I'd been hoping i'd be able to stay out of the way of anyone and just slip easily into my room, but by the looks of this hallway ? I already knew it was impossible.

Boys of all ages, as young as fourteen and as old as eighteen are placed all up and down the hallway, none of them even batting an eyelid at the big gust of wind i've dragged with me through the open door.

Some spare me a sly glance over the shoulder, but none of them are bothered enough by me to ask questions or come over, and for that, im grateful.

After letting the door close behind me, I start to slip inbetween groups of boys in an attempt to make my way down the hall and to where the nice receptionist had told me to go.

But as the hallway gets longer and I fail to see a staircase, I realize i've probably just missed it. Slipped past it, even.

So I turn back and try to pay more attention for this 'un-missable staircase' that i've just walked past.

Some boys are definitely weary of me now, watching me with judgy looks on their faces as if they want to ask about what im doing.

But none of them do, and for that, im grateful.

If any of them made any attempt to shove me or try anything then I wouldn't be afraid to shove back, I just don't want to start things on my first day here.

Then just when I think i've found it, I come back to the door i'd entered through barely ten minutes ago.

Now people are one hundred percent looking, some dont care, but some are surely whispering.

'One more time' I think to myself, 'i'll walk up here one more time and if its not there then i'll just have to ask someone.'

So thats what I do, I turn to walk back up the hall i've already been down twice to look for some stupid fucking staircase.

Well, its what I planned to do. Until im so very rudely interrupted.

"What in fucks name are you trying to do?"

I twist around to see a boy roughly the same height as me. Hes got an amused expression on his face, as if hes been enjoying watching me struggle.

"Im looking for my room" I explain, hoping he'll just leave me alone.

"Thats one sexy accent."

"Excuse me?"

"Your accent, where are you from?" the boy questions.

"English" I cough, "its an english accent."

"Sweet, are you new or something? Is that why you don't know where you're going?"

"Yeah, im looking for my room" I repeat.

"Do you want some help?"

"God, please, yes" I rush, "do you mind?"

He chuckles, taking my suitcase without asking. "Not at all, what room are you in?"

"35, I think."

"No fucking way!" he nearly shouts.

"What?"

"Oh shit! It makes sense now."

"What?" I repeat. I now feel like im repeating myself way too much.

"Im really great friends with the other guy in 35" he explains, taking lead down the hallway. "Hes great, and hes gonna love you."

"Will he?" I ask. I hope hes right.

"Oh, for sure" the boy confirms. "Whats your name?"

"Im George."

"Cool. Im Sapnap."

"Nice to meet you."

"Yeah, you too" the boy smiles.

Just as I think the bo- I mean Sapnap- has made the same mistake I had, he makes his way further to the very, very end point of the hallway, and surely enough, hidden just behind a large bookcase, is a teak staircase.

"You're joking" I mumble.

"Its pretty hard to see as a first timer, isnt it?" Sapnap asks, trudging my suitcase up the steps.

"Yeah, it is" I complain. "I can take that if you want" I gesture to the suitcase.

"No, you're fine" he shrugs, continuing his lead up the stairs. "You're probably tired from your flight in."

"I didnt fly" I answer.

"You didnt?"

"No, well, at least not today, anyways."

"Then how'd you get here?"

"I've been here for a few weeks with my parents, my father travels a lot f-"

"Hold on, say that again" he laughs, pausing on the stairs.

"What?"

"Say dad again."

"Father?"

"And again."

"Fa-ther."

His smile grows wide after I sound it out a couple more times, looking even more amused then he did a few minutes ago.

"God british boy, I could listen to you talk all day." Before his words even make sense in my mind, hes continued his way up the steps. So I follow.

The halls up here are less crowded, and are much more sleek. Probably because they aren't used to just lounge around in. Everything I've seen so far in each building is either brown, beige or black. Like some sort of late 1800s mansion.

"So wait, if you didn't fly, how did you get here?"

"I was getting to that part" I tell him. "I've been living here for a few weeks, my father travels alot for work"

"Whats he work as?"

I shrug.

"You don't know?"

"I've never cared enough to ask."

"Fair enough."

Silence falls between the two of us for a minute or two, the only noise heard being the chatter from downstairs, and the drift of conversation as we pass by dormitories.

My nerves seem to have dried up by now, but I can still feel them bubbling slightly at the brim, keeping me on my toes.

Im not totally sure about how friendships work, or how they start, but im pretty sure both people need to put effort in. So I try talking to the other boy.

"What about you?"

His head turns slightly, clearly studying me.

"Well, what about me?"

"Do you have-" I start unevenly, with no idea as to where im going with my question. "Do you have friends here?" It feels like a dumb question, but if he thinks so, he doesnt make note of it. Well, at least not out loud.

"A couple" he comments lightly, "your roomate, a few guys in younger years, and my roomate"

"Do you like it here?" I peer, trying to keep the conversation going.

"As in school wise?" he asks. I nod. He takes a second before answering.

"Its alright, I suppose."

"That wasn't very sure."

"Well, I'm not going to lie to you" he shrugs. "I'm not a big fan of school, but apart from the entire school part, I love it here." Then, before I can say anything else, "this is it."

At first I don't get what he means, but then I realize we're outside my room. Room 35. I expect him to knock, or at least call out for somebodys name. But no, he just barges right in, pushing the door open himself.

Sapnap doesnt say anything, he just stands and waits for a second, as if he knows somethings coming, and then it comes.

"One of these days, Sapnap, you'll burst in here and im just gonna be completely naked" I hear a voice shout. "At least Dream has the decency to fucking knock."

"Hello to you too, Quackity!" Sapnap shouts back, collapsing on the bed closest to the door. A smaller boy then emerges from what I guess is a bathroom, glaring at Sapnap.

"I'm being serious" he snaps, "then what would you do? You'd never be able to look at me the same-"

"It wouldn't change a thing and you know it-"

"-and get off my bed in your dirty ass clothes-"

"-and Dream is such a suck up, stop comparing me to-"

"-you keep messing up all my stuff, I'm actually gonna kil-"

I watch the two of them bicker, too entertained to be bothered to interrupt. They both shoot things at eachother, not bothering to listen to what the other one has to say.

Bear in mind, the argument goes on for about five minutes. Im stood in the doorway for at least five minutes before anyone notices me.
Then when I am noticed again, its by the smaller boy.

"Who've you dragged up here now?" he pesters, staring at me.

"I didn't drag him up here, I helped him up here" Sapnap corrects proudly.

"Well aren't you just God and his twelve fucking apostles" Quackity comments, throwing the nearest copybook at him.

"Yeah, I think I am, actually" Sapnap grins, dodging the book. More bickering, a lot more bickering and shouting.

At this rate I've made my way into the room, sinking down into the nearest chair as I wait for the two of them to stop again. They do, but it takes a couple more minutes. I'm not bothered though, their arguments seem to be a great source of entertainment.

"So, who is he?"

"Remember your roomate that you never got?"

"No, because I never got him" Quackity answers, rolling his eyes.

"Oh my god you are just so-oo funny!" Sapnap exclaims, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, I know I am, cut to the chase."

"Well, here he is" Sapnap explains, gesturing to me.

"Who?" the small boy asks.

"Him, George, hes your roomate."

"Fuck off!" he smiles, "really?"

"Well unless this is the wrong room" Sapnap starts, turning to look at me. "Is this your room?" he asks.

"I was told it is" I tell the two of them.

"I should've introduced myself sooner, sorry" the smaller boy announces, making his way over to me. "I'm Quackity."

"George" I respond. "Nice to meet you."

"What an accent" Quackity gawks, returning to sitting on the edge of the bed to stare at me along with Sapnap.

"I know, right?" Sapnap agrees. "Oh! Do the thing." It takes yet another second to realize that hes talking to me.

"What thing?" I ask, smiling at them.

"The dad thing" Sapnap encourages brightly.

"Father?" Both of them relapse into wide smiles, the two of them still staring at me excitedly.

"Its so sharp, and crisp" Quackity exaggerates, attempting to do some sort of motion with his hands to go along with what hes saying. "But hes definitely gonna be made fun of for it."

"I won't let them" Sapnap decides out loud, "its too cool of an accent to be made fun of"

I sit patiently in the chair, allowing them to discuss me out loud as if I weren't even here. I dont mind though, the attention feels nice.

Our room is bigger than I'd thought it would be. Then again, everything around here is bigger then I'd thought it would be.

Theres two beds in the room, one nearing the window and the other nearing the door. Three of the walls in the room are a deep red, one is beige. All the furniture in the room seems to be made of wood, all of the wood, yet again, either being beige, white or black.

Theres desks too, at the end of both our beds. But of course mine is empty, whereas Quackitys is full, and a little messy. I haven't even had a chance to look at the bathroom yet, but id be willing to bet that even thats pretty.

"You can un-pack if you want by the way" Quackity tells me, interrupting Sapnap mid sentence.

"Thanks" I reply, standing up from the chair to place my bag on my bed. Theres a wardrobe just at the foot of my bed, which leads to me remembering my clothes arent in my small bag.

"Sapnap?" I call, interrupting them.

"Yeah?"

"You have my suitcase."

"Oh yeah! Sorry, here-" He clambers over Quackity, dragging my bag with him to give to me. "Thanks" I smile, plonking the case on my bed as I start to unzip it.

"I should probably get going" Sapnap announces, scratching the back of his neck absentmindedly, "I promised Dream id meet him downstairs like twenty minutes ago, and you know how he gets."

"Yeah, thats cool" Quackity shrugs, twisting himself around on the bed so now hes facing me and Sapnap.

"Do you want to come?" Sapnap questions.

"No I'm cool, think im gonna have an early night" Quackity tells him. Sapnap nods. "What about you?" he then asks.

"Me?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"I mean, I would, but-" I make a simple gesture to my bags, and he lets out a small chuckle.

"Maybe another night, you probably need sleep anyways" he agrees.

I nod, going back to busying myself with hanging up and putting away things. "See you both tomorrow!" he calls, shortly being followed by the sound of another closing door.

Theres a small silence shortage inbetween the time that Sapnap leaves, and the time that I decide to break that silence.

"This place is huge" I mumble, turning around to glance at him.

He laughs a little, whether its out of relief that I spoke first or the fact that my statement is true, I guess I'll never find out.

"Isnt it? And it doesn't help that everywhere looks the exact same" he comments.

"You see that too? I thought I was going mental" I laugh from my wardrobe.

"Don't worry about it though, you'll get the hang of things pretty quickly" he claims, "and now you've got me to help."

I'm unsure if his words are meant to come across as comforting, but thats how they make me feel. Well, they definitely ease the ooze of uneasiness I'd felt since I step foot into this place, and reduce the last of my bubbling nerves.

It feels dumb to think that I was worrying. Now I can barely remember what I'd even been worried about.

Quackity talks to me until I finish packing, and then he asks if I want a small tour of the place, which he quickly takes back and promises to do tomorrow after he realizes how late it is.

I sit on the floor with my back leaned against Quackitys bed, and he sits in the chair I'd sat in a few hours before as we continue our long winded conversation. He talks to me about the classes, the teachers, and catches me up on any commonly acknowledged gossip or drama.

He bitches to me about teachers that he swears have something against him, and tells me about other boys he himself doesn't like. Well, him, Sapnap and this Dream character all mutually dislike.

He tells me about lunches, about how I have to sit with him and his friends not only during lunch, but in class too. Also after school hours when they do homework outside if its warm, but in the library if its too chilly or raining.

Well, he says we, but he admits that this Dream character does most of the work that him and Sapnap later copy. He talks to me until the room grows dark, and the lights switch off, which he then goes on to  explain happens at a certain time of the night.

He tells me so much that when I climb into bed around half an hour after the lights go out, I can barely register all that he has told me.

But I don't care that he talked for at least two hours, or that he basically planned out my days for me.

Im just happy to have some decent mates already.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

clocks By may

Fanfiction

130K 5.2K 21
༄ the sequel to my book sparks. after years of being without each other, dream is left in shock when george turns up on his doorstep unannounced, pre...
17.1K 364 34
Trigger Warnings || Smoking, Homophobia, Alcohol, Smut, Cutting mention || George attends a new high school because his parents say its more 'better'...
53.2K 1.9K 30
Dream and George meet on the ice, and make an immediate connection. Though some jealously bubbles to the surface when rivals teams meet-up, and Georg...
11K 303 10
Energetic and lovable middle-child Karl's strengths are aplenty, but they sure don't include senior year calculus skills. Thankfully, a reserved but...