π’π€π‹π•π€π“πˆπŽπβ”€π›πžπ₯π₯𝐚...

By paradiseearth

[BOOK TWO IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] losing her twin brother was one of the hardest things avery collins had to... More

01. rest
02. the one where we're all going to die
03. growing old
04. first the fish
05. doomsday cult
06. the list
07. best friend
08. in the trap
09. sniper on the loose
10. heart on fire
11. plan b
12. internal enemies
13. the arrow
14. the house
15. the answer
16. the test
17. monsters
18. sacrifice
19. grudges
20. natblida
21. sisters
22. conclave
23. the victor
24. monin hou
25. friend or foe
26. back home?
27. sat-star one
28. home
part II
29. the ring
30. dynasty
31. alien spaceships
32. aye aye captain
33. no (wo)man left behind
34. back to the ground
35. trusting
36. echoes
37. no means no
38. the enemy itself
check in! (not an update)
39. the escape
40. guns
41. betrayals
42. sunshine to badass
43. reunited
44. preparations
45. evacuation
46. countdown
47. ten year slumber
48. our hope
part III
49. the awakening
50. planet alpha
51. swarms
52. warnings
53. foes
54. homicidal maniacs
55. kepa-she
56. primes
57. one way or another
58. greer
59. forgiveness and parties
60. heartbreak
61. eureka
62. child of gabriel
63. missing
64. answers
65. a-l-i-v-e
66. in the joberry field
67. our hell
68. at the stake
69. revived
70. chaos
71. non-believers
72. adjustment protocol
73. the other side
part IV
74. farmhouse
75. no kings or queens
76. for the thousands
77. disciples
78. take two
79. bardo
80. GEM9
81. traitor
82. earth
83. no forgiveness
84. hurts like hell
85. shaken
86. back to sanctum
88. ghosts
89. revived
90. the last war
91. the choice
92. together
93. a new life
94. rebuilding
95. those who remain
-after-
I.
II.
III.
the end.
new stories! + hi imy
one year anniversary!
-bonus chapters!-
bonus chapter: one
bonus chapter: two

87. flatline

2.2K 65 44
By paradiseearth

"This is as stable as she's going to get." Jackson announced, his eyes lifting from where they had been resting on Emori. "It's time."

The steady beeping of the heart monitor coated the room as Murphy glanced up, his eyes bloodshot and exhausted. 

"Jax!" The voice came not from one of us, but from someone out in the Reliquary. I knew before he even entered the room that it was Miller. 

I felt a glimmer of relief as Miller ran into Jackson with an emotion-filled embrace. At least I knew that some of the others were okay. But amongst the relief, I also noticed the look of longing that covered Murphy's face, I think it covered mine too. 

Both of us clearly wished more than anything that the love of our life had just walked through that door- alive and unharmed. But they wouldn't. Mine was dead while Murphy's laid on the table, inches from her own death.

"Raven got you out?" Jackson asked Miller as the two pulled away. 

Miller nodded. "Yeah. She and Wonkru just left for Bardo."

"Without you?" Jackson pressed. 

"I'm not leaving you again. Whatever happens next, we stick together."

Once more, my heart clenched. I should have never left Bellamy. I shouldn't have let him leave Sanctum without me, and I shouldn't have left Bardo without him. Maybe he wouldn't have become a brainwashed Disciple if I had refused to leave his side. Maybe he would still be alive.

"I am glad you are safe." Murphy called to Miller. "Now, how about my reunion." His had was still fastened around Emori's limp one. 

Jackson gave an understanding nod, untangling himself from Miller in order to rejoin us by the table. "Avery, you ready?" He wondered, pulling on a pair of gloves. 

I nodded, pulling my own shaking hands into a pair of gloves. "I'm ready." I assured, but my voice gave away my unease. 

If anyone noticed it, they all decided to ignore it. "What can I do?" Miller asked. 

Jackson glanced up for a moment. "Hold her steady while I extract the bar. If she moves, it'll cause even more damage. You understand?"

Miller wore a distressed expression as he fastened his hands on Emori's shoulders. "Yeah."

"Avery, the minute the bar is out, I need you packing the wound. She can't lose as much blood as she did before. Got it?"

My eyes met his for a brief minute. "Got it."

"Okay." Jackson breathed. "One three...one, two, three."

The minute Jackson began extracting the bar, the heart monitor began beeping erratically, blood pooling around the wound. And then Emori started seizing. 

Her body shook furiously as blood began spewing from her mouth. She was hemorrhaging. 

It felt like someone had stolen the air from my lungs as I tried my best to apply pressure to the wound. The bar was still lodged in her torso, proving it almost impossible to stop the bleeding.

"Hey, hey! Come on!" Murphy pleaded, his voice cracking as he leaned over Emori's head. "Come on, baby."

"She's bleeding out!" Jackson exclaimed. "I need to get in there surgically and find the--"

He cut himself off as Emori's body went limp, the heart monitor flatlining as a horrific silence settled across the room. 

Tears had pooled in my eyes as I looked up at Emori's face. Her eyes were open, but there was no life left behind them.

"Hurry up!" Murphy pleaded, grabbing Emori's face in his hands. "Please, Emori. Emori, look at me."

Jackson turned and grabbed a syringe. "Adrenaline." He explained before plunging the needle into Emori's chest. 

But nothing happened. Emori remained still as the monitor continued flatlining. I buried my face into the side of my arm that was still extended, still applying pressure. Tears soaked my sleeve as I finally looked up. 

Murphy was watching Jackson with a confused expression, as if he didn't want to accept what had just happened. "What are you doing?" 

Having since stilled, Jackson opened his mouth, but no words came out. 

"Do something!" Murphy screamed, lunging forward. "COME ON! Do something! You're a doctor! Please."

I let out a choked sob as I dropped my hands from Emori's body, knowing there was nothing I, or anyone, could do at this point. 

"John." I whispered, my voice breaking as I took a step toward him. He looked to me for a moment, shaking his head. "No." He cried, still refusing to believe she was gone. "No."

Taking Emori's face into his hands once again, he let out a quiet cry. "Emori, please. Please." He begged through tears. "Please."

Tentatively, I reached out and put a gentle hand on his shoulder. In seconds, Murphy had spun around and pulled me into a bone crushing hug, his face buried in my hair. 

More tears flooded to my eyes as I wrapped my arms around him, holding onto him with all of my might. "I've got you." I assured, my watery eyes landing on Emori's body. "I've got you."

---

Silence had since settled across the room. 

Emori still laid on the table, no one having the willpower to do anything with her body. Miller and Jackson stood on one side of the room, clinging onto one another in sadness. 

Murphy and I sat on the other side. Our backs pressed against one of the supply cupboards, our hands intertwined.

I knew exactly the pain he was feeling right now. I knew it all too well. If I could provide him any comfort, I would. But right now, I didn't know what to say, I couldn't find the words. Because I was hurting too, and I wasn't sure how to make him feel better when I couldn't even make myself feel better. 

Emori had been one of my best friends, my sister. For six years on the Ring,  I got to know the person she was. I learned how vibrant and fun she was. How hard working and determined. How kind and gentle she could be. 

Our family was facing a great loss with the death of Emori. The world was too. 

My eyes had begun to droop slightly, the result of little sleep and an excess of emotional trauma, when Murphy stood. I startled slightly, my hand dropping from his own as he slowly made his way across the room. 

I remained seated for a moment, curiously watching as he stopped in front of the instrument tray. Jackson and Miller had both turned, they too watching as he now picked up a scalpel. 

My heart lurched into my chest as I pushed myself to my feet in a panic, terrified of what Murphy was about to do.

"John, what are you doing?" I demanded, already making my way toward him. 

He ignored me and turned to Jackson, holding up the blade. "Take out her mind drive. Please."

I felt like I was going to be sick. It was now blatantly obvious what Murphy wanted to do, and I knew that if he went through with it...he would die.

Jackson didn't waver. "Please what? Put her mind in your head? We know from Clarke and Josephine how that ends."

"Fine." Murphy gritted out. "I'll do it myself."

I stepped in his path, giving my head a firm shake. "John, no."

His eyes met mine, and he gave me a pleading look. "Avery, move."

"No!" I argued through tears. "I'm not letting you do this."

"Why?" He challenged, his voice barely a whisper. 

I let out a teary breath. "Because!" My voice came out a lot harsher than I had intended it to. "You're my brother, John. And I love you. And I can't lose you too. Please don't do this."

Murphy stared at me for a long moment, his own eyes filled with tears as he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Avery. But I have to do this."

"Remember what you told me after Bellamy died?" I challenged, sidestepping so he couldn't get around me. When Murphy didn't say anything, I continued. "You told me not to give up, that you would get me through it. So let me get you through this, please John."

He sniffled, reaching up to quickly wipe his eyes. "If you had the chance to see Bellamy again, if even for a few minutes...would you."

I was quiet for a moment, my heart physically hurting over this whole situation. "Yes." I couldn't lie, we all knew what my answer was going to be. 

Nodding, Murphy gave me a look that asked me to understand. "I have to do this, Avery."

With a final long stretch of eye contact, I let out a defeated breath. "Okay." I whispered, holding out my hand. "I'll do it."

He looked slightly taken aback at the full one-eighty degree turn I just took. But after a moment, he lightly placed the scalpel into my hand. 

Pushing my shoulders back in an attempt to keep my composure, I walked toward Emori. I was forced to bite down on the inside of my cheek to keep myself from letting out another sob as I lightly turned her onto her side. 

The previous scar from where the mind drive had first been put in was still visible, giving me a clear line to cut along. 

But as I raised a shaky hand to begin, someone's hand caught my own. "I've got it."

I turned to look at Jackson, he was watching me with gentle eyes as he lightly took the scalpel from my hands. I gave him a grateful nod as I reached up and used my sleeve to wipe the tears in my eyes. 

As I stepped away from Emori, Murphy wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his side as he silently cried. 

I knew as I laid my head against his shoulder, that this would be one of the last times John Murphy and I interacted. Within a matter of hours, he would be brain dead and yet another member of our family would be gone. I barely wanted to think about it- I couldn't. 

So instead, I just closed my eyes as warm tears rolled down my cheeks. I was just about done with this life. 

-an-

UGH so many sad scenes to write 

but guys, oh my god, we're on the last episode!!

im trying not to cry because I seriously cannot believe we're almost done :(

any guesses on what is going to happen?

hope you all enjoyed!

-maddy xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 5K 25
' She's a lost girl in her own little world, she looks so happy but she seems so sad. ' - disclaimer: i do not own the 100! all rights to the creator...
240K 7.3K 39
BLOOD CITY | "better together than apart." THE 100 SEASON ONE O. BLAKE X OC Β© -atyourwill '19
143K 1.8K 24
the 100 - s1 *first book to 'the 100' series* *unedited* Maybe it was meant to be, maybe it wasn't but he knew from the moment he saw her in the Ark...
2.7M 64.5K 131
[BOOK ONE IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] life·line ˈlīfˌlīn/ noun "A person you can always depend on to help you in a really messed up situation where you n...