Better Together

By soleOnyx

|Steven x Male reader| This story follows Y/n, a young boy. His mother had given up her physical form to give... More

Prologue
A new life
The Breaking and Formation of Bonds
When It Rains
Too Far
Steven's Birthday
The Whispers In My Head
Message Received
Gem Drill
Mr. Greg
A blossomed Endearment
Gem Hunt
Crack The Whip
Bismuth
Ease Of Winds
Pride Month Special
A Mission For 2
Mindful Education
A Busy November
Steven's Dream
Galactic Retrieval
Storm In The Room
The Quest For Destiny
Onyx's Truth
Goodbye...Friend
Invasion
Wanted
Gemcation
It Feels Like Christmas
Can't Go Back
A Single Pale Rose
Now We're Only Falling Apart
With Ruby As The Goal
Made Of Honor
Reunited
Sacrifice and Beyond
Diving Into New Territory
Homeworld Struggles
Change Your Mind
Breath Of Life

Above The Earth's Sky

1.1K 32 4
By soleOnyx

Y/n POV

That fight was incredible. Peridot took us to the beta kindergarten after Amethyst wanted to learn more about Jasper. We saw a bunch of holes and cages that were empty, but some looked to have corrupted gems inside. There was this one hole that looked brand new and that was because Jasper was there. Amethyst and Jasper fought it out but Amethyst just couldn't beat her. Steven went up and gave her a little talk on how she shouldn't do everything on her own, and the 2 ended up fusing into someone named 'Smokey Quartz'. They battled out against Jasper and ultimately won in the end, but something happened and Jasper started corrupting herself. Steven tried to heal her, but she was too far along and wasn't able to be saved. Peridot poofed her thanks to her metal powers she discovered, and Amethyst sent her gem to the temple. We were all walking back home to the barn since we were tired and done at the kindergarten.

"I still can't believe how that fight went, you guys fused and were so powerful!" I exclaimed. "Hehe, yup! Amethyst and I make a pretty good team." Steven chuckled. Peridot and Amethyst just nodded in agreement. "But still, I wonder if I could fuse like that." I said.

"What do ya mean? We've fused before." Steven said. "Well yeah, but with your fusion it was just so...alive. Ours kind of just happened and that's it." I sighed. "You didn't tell me you 2 fused?" Amethyst asked. "I didn't? Oh, well it happened back when we were fighting Bismuth." I said.

"Oh...well regardless, you're a pretty powerful kid. I wouldn't have a single doubt that your fusions aren't something strong and willful." Amethyst replied. "Yeah! Don't worry about fusion too much, you're so amazing even just on your own." Steven said, walking up to hold my hand.

"Yeah! You're right, thanks honey." I said, giving him a little kiss. Steven blushed and giggled at that while Peridot and Amethyst just looked away. We finally got to the barn, but were greeted with a little surprise from some familiar guests.

"What the..." Amethyst said. "The rubies are back!" Steven shouted. "Yeah, they showed up not too long ago." Lapis said. "What do they want with us?" I asked.

"Let's release one of them and ask." Garnet said. "Oo, can I pick?" Steven asked. "Sure, go for it." Garnet said. "Okay, let's pick...Leggy!" Steven said. "Leggy?" Pearl asked.

"Steven and I made names for the rubies based on their gem placements. There's Leggy, Army, Navy, Eyeball, and Doc. Leggy seems the easiest to talk to though." I replied. "Alright, come on out Leggy!" Lapis said, releasing Leggy from her water bubble.

"Hi there! I'm Steven, what brings you to earth?" Steven asked. "Well we were um...we were...I don't know?" Leggy responded. "Oh, that's okay! I used to forget why we went on missions all the time." Steven said. "I'll just go stand over here then." Leggy said as she hurried to a corner of the barn.

"Can we take a chance on Army?" I asked. Army's bubble popped and she flopped onto the ground. "Good afternoon!-" Steven was about to say. "RAGH!" Army screamed and started running towards Steven. Garnet swooped in and picked her up. "HEY! PUT ME DOWN, I OUTTA PULVERIZE YOU LIMB-" Army said.

"Aww, next!" Garnet yelled, tucking her under her arm. "Eh...Navy?" Steven asked. Lapis let down Navy. "If I remember correctly we were- oh jeez...uh hah! This is so embarrassing!" Navy said as she blushed and walked away.

"Okay...Eyeball?" I said. "Hmpf, I ain't telling you nothing bout' nothin!" She said, crossing her arms. "Okay, last but not least, Doc." I said. "Where is Jasper? Last time you tricked us into playing some stupid game! Then you told us that she was on "Neptune", so we looked but she wasn't on Neptune. Or any other planet in this damn solar system!" Doc said. "Tell me where she is, no tricks or games!".

"Well...Jasper's um...help me out here guys." I whispered. Suddenly, Amethyst appeared from out behind us while shapeshifting as Jasper.

"HEY!" Amethyst shouted. "I'm right here.". "Is she actually serious? There's no way this is gonna wo-" Pearl started to say. "Look! It's Jasper!" Army shouted. The other rubies started running over to Amethyst.

"Jasper! I'm Ruby 1F4 Cut 4ND. I fought in the war for Earth." Eyeball said. "Erm...at ease!" Amethyst replied nervously. "I was in the ground when I heard of your accomplishments. They say you popped out with your helmet on and took out 80 gems before sundown." Eyeball said.

"Yup! That's me, never small and always huge!" Amethyst smiled awkwardly. "Hold on a minute, you look different..." Eyeball said. "Oh, you must mean my tan...from the sun!" Amethyst said, pointing to the sun. "Curse this planet, I hate it!" Eyeball said. The other rubies joined in and started kicking the dirt while sharing their hatred for earth.

"Well it's a good thing we found you. Yellow diamond is awaiting your arrival back on homeworld." Doc said. "N-no! I mean *cough* I, Jasper, have decided to stay here on earth." Amethyst said.

"But why?!" Doc said. "Because um...I need to stay with the prisoners, yep! Gotta make sure they don't escape." Amethyst replied. The rubies started clapping proudly with one of them having a tear escape their eye. The rubies start talking about how they're gonna file this and we now need to go to the moon base to do that.

"What are you doing? This isn't gonna work!" Pearl said. "You're not going to be able to hold that form forever." Garnet said. "Guys, relax! I'll be fine, we'll go to the moon and come back. Then they'll leave us alone, so just play along." Amethyst said.

"You're gonna need a miracle to pull this off." I sighed. Amethyst dragged us towards the ship before turning to Lapis and Peridot. "Yo! You guys wanna be prisoners too?" She asked. "Not really." Lapis said. Peridot just nodded in agreement.

"Alright then, just checking!" Amethyst replied. "Alright, hup! Hup! Hup! Hup!" The rubies said. We got inside the ship and I sat down next to Steven, putting my head on his shoulder while he just stroked my hair.

"Aww curse this! We've been caught by none other than Jasper!" Garnet said, playing along with Amethyst's plan. "Yup! Jasper sure is the one who caught us, hmpf." Steven said, playing along. "Do what you want, I'll never talk!" Pearl yelled.

"Yo P, try to keep it down okay?" Amethyst whispered. The rubies started flying the ship and we took off into the sky. After a while of flying, we arrived on the moon and flew inside the moon base.

"All clear!" Doc said, checking to make sure it's safe. We got out of the ship and started transcending the long stairway. As we were walking, Leggy pointed to a picture of a pink drawing and asked who that was.

"Were you born yesterday? That's Pink Diamond. Jasper, it may be best if you explain. Eyeball said. "What? Me? N-no, I...no I'm like too messed up about it." Amethyst said.

"I understand, she was your diamond after all." Eyeball replied. Eyeball then starts talking about Pink Diamond a little. After a moment she gets to a section that makes us all freeze.

"I was at that place. I saw the leader of the Crystal Gems, Rose Quartz, shatter Pink Diamond!" Eyeball said. "N-no! Rose Quartz wouldn't ever do that! S-sure she had to f-fight but she wouldn't shatter someone!" Steven yelled, starting to cry. I just rubbed his back in an attempt to comfort him.

"Hmpf, believe what you want, human. But it's true, and what's even more true is the gems who are far worse than Rose Quartz." Eyeball replied. "Huh? What other gems?" I asked, confused. "Well, I shouldn't say gems, but rather a gem. She was awful, I've never seen someone as bloodthirsty as her." Eyeball said.

"Who?" We asked. "...Onyx, the gem shatterer." Eyeball replied. The others were shocked to hear this while I almost turned pale. "W-what do you mean Onyx the gem killer?" I said between breaths. "The case is in the name. She was a bloodthirsty animal who shattered countless gems." Eyeball said. I couldn't even believe my own ears. Mom was a vicious murderer? That couldn't be true, it shouldn't be true. I've heard nothing but good things about her. I was so scared to learn this, but angry too. The effect from my emotional state almost activated my Eryx Mark when it started to glow, but it was forcibly disabled.

"Y/n, you have to contain yourself. This isn't the time to succumb to hatred." Osiris said.

I was barely able to calm myself down, while Steven just brought me into a tight hug in an attempt to calm my nerves. "Y/n, just don't listen to her, okay sweetie? None of that is true." Steven said, kissing me. That kind of helped a bit so I leaned into his touch.

"Hey! We have a problem here." Doc said from up above. We walked up the stairs to the room we were in last time. "The panel is broken and the communicator is gone. There's no way to contact Yellow Diamond!" Doc said.

"Ugh, Crystal Geeeems!" Eyeball yelled. "They'll stoop to anything!" She said. "We're just gonna have to take you to Homeworld in person." Doc said. "W-wait, I can't!" Amethyst said.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Eyeball asked. "Y'know what, do me a favor. Go back home and report in for me, I'm trusting you, soldier." Amethyst replied. "Yes, of course!" Eyeball exclaimed.

"Well then, I guess that settles it. Rubies! Back to the ship!" Doc said. Amethyst walked over to us, un-shapeshifting. "All right, Amethyst! Way to go!" Steven said. "You really held it together there." I said. "I knew you could do it!" Pearl said.

"Hey, do you guys need a ride back to earth? I could sit on your lap if-" Doc started to say. She saw Amethyst in her normal form and was shocked. "I'm still Jasper!" Amethyst shouted. "We've been tricked again?!" Doc said. "Rubies, assemble!". All of the rubies came together and fused into one giant sized ruby.

"We won't let you trick us again!" They shouted.

"Fearsome push!" Osiris said, swapping places with me and putting my palm out.

The giant ruby fusion got pushed back a bit. "Hey, Rubies! If you're gonna fight, then take it outside!" Steven yelled, opening the moon base door. "You can't get rid of us that easily!" They yelled.

"Maybe not, but I bet she can!" I yelled, pointing to Garnet and Pearl who just fused into Sardonyx. Sardonyx took her giant hammer and hit the ruby fusion with it, launching them into the doorway. As they unfused, the rubies grabbed both Steven and I and dragged us out to space. "STEVEN! Y/N!" The others yelled.

*In space*

I was floating around, I couldn't breathe. I tried to take a breath, but I couldn't gather any oxygen and I just felt suffocated. "Is this how I die? Trapped in space?" I thought to myself. I felt a familiar blue aura around me, this looked like what keeps appearing around my gem. Then everything turned white, and I was face to face with Osiris.

"Listen kid, I can't keep you alive like this for long. I brought as much as your physical radiation to here as I can, but it won't sustain everything." Osiris said.

"What do I do? I'm just gonna die out here in space of all things!" I yelled.

"I don't have an answer, I'm sorry. I wish there was something else I could do for you, but there isn't. Just try to sit tight and maybe your friends will rescue you eventually." Osiris replied.

I couldn't focus on anything, and I promptly passed out but not before barely seeing another colored light.

Steven POV

I can't believe we are stuck in space! Thank God I have my bubble, but Y/n wasn't in it. I searched around for him and eventually found him lying dead still. I did my best to bring him into my bubble, hoping he was okay.

"Y/n? Come on, talk to me!" I said, listening for any sign of a pulse. I heard nothing until a little later when I felt breathing. "Come on Y/n, wake up..." I said quietly. Y/n started to open his eyes, breathing very heavily.

"Huh? W-what's going on?" Y/n mumbled. "Y/n! Thank goodness you're okay!" I exclaimed, hugging him. "Are we still in space?" Y/n asked. I nodded my head.

"I guess we'll be out here for a while then." Y/n said. The earth was slowly becoming farther from view as we watched it fade. Y/n took out his phone but there wasn't any service.

"We're literally next to a satellite, how is there no signal?!" Y/n said. "Do you think the gems will come to rescue us?" I asked him. "I'm sure they will...at least I hope." He replied. I look over to see Y/n holding his stomach in pain, groaning.

"What's the matter Y/n? Is it a tummy ache?" I asked, worried. "It's just some cramps, I think it might be a little deprivation sickness from before." He replied. I sat down next to him and moved his hand away while rubbing circles on his stomach.

"Thanks, honey." He replied, softly humming. "Don't worry about it, sweetie." I said. Y/n fell asleep, and I moved his head onto my lap, rubbing his hair. He's so cute when he's like this, he wants to be strong for the both of us, but he's got such a fragile side to him. I was lost in thought when I felt a spark in my fingers. I was staring at a white place where a figure was floating in front of me. "W-what...who are you- where am I?" I asked.

"Relax, human child. Your name is Steven, correct? My name is Osiris, I don't believe we've formally met." Osiris said.

"Wait, are you the Osiris Y/n talked about?" I asked.

"Indeed, I am. I see Y/n has brought me up a few times. He's a good kid, I wouldn't doubt his integrity and strength." Osiris said. 

"Y-yeah, you're right about that." I said. "Wait a minute, there was something I've been wondering for a bit now. When Y/n and Bismuth were having that match, what was that thing he transformed into?" I asked. Osiris looked at me and let out a soft sigh.

"It in itself doesn't have a name. The monster you saw was an evil state. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but the Eryx Mark is both a curse and a blessing. On one hand your mastery of many different abilities is provided, but on the other hand, a demon of pure darkness dwells within you. When your emotions are pushed to a certain degree, it emerges due to a weakening in what I'll call it's 'seal'. I have no control over this form, neither does Y/n. The only counteract measure is to simply wait it out, but in the previous case, you were able to get through to him using words. That isn't something that would just happen, it's due to such a deep connection you and him share. You probably already know this, but Y/n's affection for you is great indeed." Osiris replied.

"But I need you to promise me something. Promise that you'll be by his side no matter what. I can see his destiny clearly, along with the paths along it that tie into you and the others. There are certain things that I can't tell you, so I need you to promise that you'll always be with him. You're the light in his darkness, that kid is so innocent but filled with so much hate that it could lead him down the evil path. I'd hate to see someone with so much potential follow that road." Osiris said.

I had to take in everything he said for a moment, thinking about all of it. "Yeah, I promise I'll always be there for him." I smiled.

"Good. Thank you, Steven. I'll be going now; I'll leave you to do as you please. Take care now." Osiris said, fading out of view.

"Don't worry, I'm always here for you, Y/n." I said, kissing his head. I was enjoying the silence for a moment before I heard a loud bang. I look over to see Eyeball floating in space.

"ARGH! THIS IS JUST GREAT! IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU THAT WE'RE STUCK OUT HERE!" Eyeball screamed. "Well...okay maybe some of that is my fault, I'm sorry. There, are you happy?" I said. Eyeball turned away saying no.

"Well, if you're going to be a grump about it, we can just float in space until we all die!" I yelled. "Fine by me!" Eyeball replied, crossing her arms. All this commotion caused Y/n to wake up.

"Huh? What's happening?" Y/n asked. "Sorry sweetie, just a little upset here." I replied. "Oh...she's here." Y/n said. We were floating in silence for a bit before Eyeball started saying something.

"When I heard rumors of Rose Quartz, I couldn't believe my ears. I didn't know what to think or do, but I wanted some closure on the whole situation. I was looking forward to meeting her." Eyeball said.

"Wait, so all you wanted this whole time was to meet Rose Quartz?" I asked. Eyeball just nodded her head. "Well then...today's your lucky day because I know where she is." I said.

"You do?" Eyeball asked. "She...turned into me." I replied. "Oh yeah, and I have 2 eyes, which I DON'T." She said. I floated over to her inside the bubble and pulled out my phone. "Come on, don't you see the resemblance?" I asked, showing her a picture of Rose Quartz side by side with me.

"Really? Are you trying to make me an even bigger idiot?" Eyeball said. I just gave up trying, hoping that something would happen. Something DID happen, just not what I had hoped. There were loud noises and a bang, when I realized we were in the middle of asteroids.

"TAKE COVER SOLDIERS!" Eyeball screamed, trying to avoid the asteroids. "We're already in cover, YOU'RE the one who needs cover!" Y/n yelled. As the bubble was bouncing up and down a bit, Eyeball was masterfully dodging the incoming objects.

"Damn, I'm a bit rusty." Eyeball said. There was a big one in front of us, but it just happened to be big from the side but was a giant hole. "Heh, we're okay!" I cheered. Eyeball just chuckled but was hit in her gem with a small asteroid.

"Eyeball!" Y/n shouted. I didn't know what to do so I just expanded my bubble and tried to bring her inside. "Are you okay?!" I asked, looking at her cracked gem. "Ugh, this is just the worst!" She said. I tried to take a look at it but she retaliated pushing me back.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" She screamed. "No, I wanna heal you! I have healing powers." I replied. Eyeball just stared blankly at me for a moment. "Fine, I guess I have nothing to lose." She said. I licked my hand and slowly placed it onto her cracked gem.

"What the hell was that fo-" Eyeball started to say. Her gem glowed a bit and the crack was repaired. "Oh, my stars..." She mumbled. "You really are Rose Quartz!". "See, that's what I was trying to tell you." I laughed. Eyeball looked at me and started laughing a bunch.

"Uhh...Eyeball, you okay there?" Y/n asked. Eyeball then pulled out her knife and pinned us down. "I finally get my chance to end Rose Quartz!" She yelled. "Woah, I'm not really Rose Quartz! This is just a misunderstanding!" I said. "I don't care what you have to say, Rose Quartz." She replied, starting to chase us around the bubble. She was about to hit me, but Y/n's mark activated, and he blocked the knife with his hand, causing it to bleed a bit.

"What the- no... how could...why do you-" Eyeball said, stuttering. "I'm done playing games, this isn't right!" Y/n yelled. "How is there an Onyx here?! That's impossible!" She yelled. She tried to kill us anyway, so I opened up my bubble and threw her out, bubbling Y/n and I immediately after. We gasped for breath as Eyeball floated away.

"Are you okay, Y/n?" I asked between breaths. "Yeah...I'm fine." Y/n coughed. We just snuggled up next to each other in the bubble as it shrunk a bit, eventually falling asleep.

*Some time later*

There was a bright light, and we were being sucked into something. I opened my eyes to find us in the red eye where the gems were waiting for us. "STEVEN!" Pearl and Amethyst said, hugging me.

"Thank goodness." Garnet said, taking off her visors and wiping her tears. Y/n woke up shortly after me, a bit dazed. "W-what?" He said. Amethyst and Pearl then rushed over to hug him too. I started crying with tears of joy as Garnet brang all of us in for one giant hug. After a bit, we were on course for back home to earth when I asked Garnet a question.

"Is all that stuff true? Did mom really...shatter Pink Diamond?" I asked. "She had too, for all of us to be safe. And for me to stay me, Amethyst to be her, Pearl to be free, and for you and Y/n to be together." Garnet replied.

"What about his mom? Did Onyx really..." I started to say. "I don't actually know. It could be true, but there are things even I don't know." Garnet said. I sighed and walked over to Y/n, who was staring at the ground.

"Hey sweetie, how ya doing?" I asked, sitting next to him. "I'm alright, just shaken up is all." He replied, starting to cry into my shoulder. "It's gonna be fine, we're all together again, right?" I said, tearing up. He just nodded his head and hugged me. We stayed like this the entire time until we finally made it back home.

"Heh, humans are such extraordinary creatures." Osiris said to himself. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 738 14
It was tough work healing all of Beach City. From the land to the settlements, all that was wrecked has now been rebuilt stronger and better than eve...
281K 7.2K 64
You are one of a kind. Well, at least that's what your father said. Not in a good way tho. Ever since you were born to Earth, all of the blames was...
135K 4.4K 59
(AU where Steven doesn't move out and stays in Beach City after Steven Universe Future) You've lived in Beach City all your life. For 17 years you'v...
14.8K 470 8
Okay so I have seen many SU x Male reader books but many of them are with either a Gem reader or Human. Not many have a Half gem reader so this is my...