Out of The Blue

By emmaroseszalai

One minute you're at the top of your game, and the next, you receive a hit that knocks your skates out from u... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue
Want More Boston Knights?

Chapter 5

8.2K 534 30
By emmaroseszalai

"Take it easy, dad."

I looped my elbow through his as he climbed the stairs to his front deck instead of using the ramp he'd had installed after his accident.

"They're just a few stairs," he said, waving off my worry despite accepting my help. After breakfast, we'd gone on a stroll around the block, and while light exercise was encouraged with his condition, it also wore him out. Evidenced by the shallowness of his breathing I picked up on as he took a seat on one of the rocking chairs.

I waited until he was situated to ask, "Did you want me to bring your tea out here?"

"That'd be great," he replied. "And my—"

"Medicine," I finished for him, knowing his routine by heart at this point. "Yup, be right back."

In the kitchen, I flicked on the kettle and opened the cupboard directly above it, pulling out a large mug as well as a packet of earl grey. Waiting for the whistle to go on the kettle, I reached over to my dad's pill organizer and opened the lid to see a variety of different colored capsules. It always brought my mood down seeing what he had to digest each day just to carry on semi-normally with his life, but I knew without them, it was likely he wouldn't be here.

When the kettle sounded, I picked out the two pills he was meant to take before making the tea and returning outside, where the early June sun was shining bright and making for a gorgeous day.

"Here, dad," I said, passing him the pills first and watching him swallow them before handing over the mug. "Careful, it's hot."

His frail hands cupped the mug close to his mouth as he sipped slowly. "You didn't make anything for yourself?"

I shook my head, taking a seat in the empty chair next to him. "I had a coffee this morning already, and I'll make myself something when I get to the store."

A light hum left his lips. "And how are things with you?"

"They're good," I said, pulling my feet up and underneath me as I turned to face him. "The tourist season is ramping up, so last weekend we were fairly busy, and I'm sure it'll only get busier. I think I also mentioned that June and I are testing a bunch of summer treats, and they seem to be selling well. Plus, the weather's nice—" I gestured my hand to the sky. "—so I can't complain."

"I didn't mean with the store, Sloane," he said softly, a knowing look in his eyes. "I meant with you. How's life outside of work and visiting your dear old dad?"

His question threw me for a loop, because if I was being honest with myself, my life had begun to revolve around him and work. Nothing else. And yes, it was by my own doing, but as the weeks passed, it had begun to feel normal for me. Which hadn't been my intention.

"Well," I started, racking my brain for something, though there wasn't much, "I've been reading a lot at night, and have tried some new dinner recipes that have turned out well."

"Mhm, and your friends? When's the last time you went out? To a bonfire? To dinner with anyone? To the bar?"

"Mara actually messaged me earlier in the week to see if I wanted to join in on a night out with her and a few friends tomorrow," I admitted sheepishly, "but I turned her down."

"Sloane," he said, his voice dropping to a slow and marginally disappointed tone, "it's not healthy to isolate yourself from your friends. I know you've had a rough year—what with dealing with your mom, me, and the store—but it's time to start living again. And living for you. I'm not going to be around forever."

I felt a swell of emotion build in the back of my throat. "Dad..."

"I'm serious, sweetie," he said. "Whether it be next week, next month, next year, or sometime after that, there'll eventually come a day when I'm no longer around. And I don't want you to have let your friends fall to the wayside in the time being. You're young. You should be out—having fun and falling in love."

"I don't know about the falling in love bit."

"Of course you don't, because you can't meet anyone at the store or if you're visiting me."

A laugh ended up bubbling from my lips as I laid my head back against the pillowed head rest my chair had. "Usually parents appreciate when their child isn't letting loose every night."

His smile in response was wide. "Maybe when dealing with teenagers—though you definitely let me and your mom off the hook at that stage too—but you're nearly thirty." He reached over and covered my hand with his. "You're free to let loose in your free time."

"Then I guess I'd better text Mara back and tell her I'm free tomorrow."

"You do that," he said, patting at my hand. "And make sure to have fun."

I rolled my eyes in amusement, pulling my phone out of my pocket. "I'll try."

***

A few hours later, I was manning the front counter at Wilma's, ringing up what looked to be the last order of a busy lunch rush. The line had consistently been growing since before noon—June and I working at high speed to meet everyone's needs—when finally, ten minutes ago, the line began to dwindle as it approached two in the afternoon. June had scurried to the back to refill the dessert trays as well as prepare more treats for the oven, leaving the customers to me.

Putting a raspberry muffin into a to-go bag, I pushed it across the counter with a smile. "Here you go, Mrs. Ampton. Have a good rest of your day."

"Thank you, dear," she replied, grabbing her order before heading for the front door.

With nobody else around, I heaved a sigh of relief as I stretched out my back, feeling marginally better as I heard a crack.

I wasn't alone for long, however, as not five minutes later the bell above the front door rang loud as Ryan walked in, Bowen skipping happily beside him. The latter's eyes widened with surprise and a grin split his features when he noticed me.

"Miss. Montgomery!" he exclaimed, running up to the counter. "Uncle Ryan's taking me fishing this afternoon."

"Is he now?" I asked, flitting my gaze to the man in question, who seemed amused at his nephew's excitement. "Well, that'll be fun. It's a gorgeous day today."

"That it is," Ryan said. "We're actually in here to pick up some bait. I seem to remember your family stocking some."

I nodded. "We do." I gestured toward the far left of the store. "There's a small fridge at the end of aisle 2 that has containers of worms."

"Ooh, can I go grab them?" Bowen asked, looking between the two of us, bouncing on his toes.

Ryan ruffled Bowen's hair and nodded. "Go for it, kid."

"So," I started, lowering my voice once Bowen was far enough away, "I heard the grapevine that you're sticking around for the summer."

He lifted a brow. "You sure that's all you heard?"

I shrugged. "You know how this town is. Everyone loves gossip and there's so much to keep track of, but I don't tend to believe anything until I hear it from the source."

"Then I guess I can tell you that the gossip is likely true," he offered, digging his hands in his front pockets. "I'm definitely staying in Neptune Bay for the summer, and after that... I'm not too sure. Liam and Thea left me the house on top of leaving me in charge of that little guy."

"And you really didn't know?" I asked gently. "About the house or Bowen?"

He shook his head. "Not a clue."

Damn.

Before I could reply, however, the door to the kitchen swung open behind me, revealing June as she carried two new trays to cupcakes for the display case.

"Hi June," Ryan greeted, waving. Though she glanced his way and gave a polite smile, she was quick to return to the kitchen. He looked back to me, curiosity filling his gaze. "She's not so talkative outside of serving customers, is she?"

I lifted a shoulder. "No, but she doesn't need to be," I offered. "And I'm not here to force her to be something she's not."

"Fair enough."

"And back to Bowen," I said after a beat had passed, "I was going to wish you luck, but I'm not so sure you'll need it. Though if you do need any pointers on kids—" I pointed to myself. "—former kindergarten teacher."

A light chuckle fell from his lips. "I'll need all the help I can get, so I'll keep that in mind."

"Guys," Bowen said, walking back over to us as he balanced two containers of worms in his hands, "I got the worms."

Ryan quirked an eyebrow at him. "You think we'll need two, buddy?"

Bowen's nod was confident as he replied, "Yup, because I'm going to catch a lot of fish with them, and then feed the rest to the fish that don't want to be caught."

"I guess I can't argue with that," Ryan mused, taking the containers from his nephew's hands and putting them on the counter. "Just these for now."

"What about a cupcake?" Bowen asked, suddenly entranced by the news treats June had brought out that had given new life to our selection.

"Maybe after you catch our dinner," Ryan replied, swiping his card on the machine to pay.

Bowen turned his head up at him, eyes wide. "You promise."

Offering him his pinky finger, Ryan said, "Promise."

"Okay!" Happy with that agreement, Bowen waved to me. "Bye, Miss. Montgomery. We'll be back later once I catch some fish."

"Have fun," I said with a chuckle, and when Bowen turned to race toward the door, I reached out to grab Ryan's arm. "What's his favorite cupcake?" My voice was just above a whisper. "I'll ask June to put one aside for him so we don't sell out."

"Chocolate. And thanks."

The smile he shot me before catching up with Bowen caused something to go a flutter in my chest, but pushing that feeling aside, I turned to peek my head into the kitchen.

"Hey," I said, grabbing June's attention before pointing to the tray of cooling chocolate cupcakes. "Can you box one of those up after you've iced them and keep it back here?"

"Sure," she drawled skeptically. Though it was like a lightbulb went off in her head and a teasing smile emerged. "Any particular reason?"

I shrugged it off as though it was no big deal. And it wasn't. We put aside treats for other regulars. Sometimes. "It's for Ryan's nephew once they get back from their fishing trip, and I figure they may sell out by then."

June hummed knowingly. "And you and Ryan... have you ever?"

"No," I answered simply. And it was the truth. "We're the same age, so we grew up together, you know. Close as kids and then we drifted a bit in high school before he headed out for the big leagues. He was kind of always out of my league."

"But you were into him?"

"Back then?" I lifted a shoulder. "Sure."

"And now? The famous hockey player doesn't do it for you?"

Oh, he did it for me. But now he was even further out of my league than he'd been back in our teens.

I could feel a flush color my cheeks, prompting a laugh from June as I told her to get back to work before closing the kitchen door between us.

And as I glimpsed out the windows making up the entire right side of our store front, I could see the edge of the marina where Ryan's boat was docked. Bowen looked extremely excited and Ryan seemed to be at ease—at least outwardly—as he got ready to head out. Which was great to see. After the heartbreak those two had experienced as of late, they deserved to relax. To heal. To be happy.

a/n: remember to vote and leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7M 192K 49
Nash Reed is a hot commodity, both on and off the ice. When his childhood friend Kennedy moves to town, the torch he's been carrying for her really h...
1.5M 38.2K 41
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝What started with a revenge sex, becomes something even more addictive than meth.❞ One buried childhood memory, One...
779K 33K 28
After a one night stand on New Year's Eve, Lia and Derrick don't expect to see one another again. After all, she's a Harvard PhD student and he's a p...
8.1K 174 38
With her nose in books and his brawn getting him nowhere on or off the ice, they find themselves drawn together, sharing their baggage and behaving b...