Karna- The Hero Chosen by the...

By vikramdey

What will happen if Karna was destined to be the son of Suryadev and Devi Sangya but due to some circumstance... More

Introduction
Devi Sangya's yearning for a son
Sage Durbasha's Curse
Kunti's mistake- Boon or curse
Karna-The hero was born
Devi Ganga's blessing
Karna-not a happy childhood
The truth revealed- a big decision
Bhayankarasur
Conspiracy against Karna
Kumbhilla Forest
A new beginning
Karna's New journey
Lord Parshuram
Convincing Lord Parshuram
Training from Lord Parshuram
Meeting with the parents
Fight with Indra
Whom will Karna choose?
Back to Hastinapur- Karna meets Kunti
Tournament
Panchal war
Aswatthama's mistake
Lord Parshuram's Gurudakshina
Karna's new Friend
Defeating Pandavas
Yudhishtir's coronation: Krishna met Karna
Varanavat
Saving Pandavas,
Jarasandha imprisoned Kauravas
Jarasandha Vadh
Who is Karna's soulmate?
Panchali's swyamvar
Draupadi's decision
Beginning of a love story
Return of Pandavas
Duryodhana's love
Saving Bhanumati
Karnasangini
Karna defeated
Karna proposed Avni
Shishupal vadh
Karna left Duryadhana
Shakuni's Plan
Chandasur attacked Hastinapur
Takshak's revenge
Big truth revealed
Shakuni's master plan (I)
Shakuni's master plan (II)
Invitation
Announcement
Dice game (II)
The sacrifice of a brother
Aftermath
Aftermath II
Vanvas
Digvijaya (I)
Digvijaya (II)
Karna's Master stroke
Karna-Avni Vivah
Announcement
Conspiracy by Asurs
Jayadrath
Question
Agyatvas
Keechak Vadh
Virat war (I)
Announcement
Virat war (II)
Virat War (III)
Bhayankarasur's dangerous planning
Apologies
Dwarka
Power of a true Sati
Birth of new God and Goddess
Goddess of Protection
Saving Suryadev
Preparation for the upcoming Mahayudh
Mahayudh (I)
Mahayudh (II)
Night Attack
Antim Yudh
Trailer of an upcoming book
Rewards and Punishment

Dice game (I)

3.4K 167 63
By vikramdey

In the evening when all the royalties were enjoying themselves and chatting in the royal court of Hastinapur, as per the plan, Shakuni invited Yudhishtir for a friendly dice game.

Shakuni, 'Samrat, why don't we play a game of dice. I heard that you like this game very much. So what's say? Let's have a friendly match. You vs my nephew.'

Duryodhana, 'But mamashri I don't know the game.'

Shakuni, 'Don't worry bhanje. I will be your representative. What say Dharmraj?'

Yudhishtir, 'sure Mamashri, I love this game. Let's begin.'

Bheesm, 'Gandharraj, why do you want to play dice with Yudhistir?'

Dhritarashtra, 'Come on Tatshri, you are behaving as if Shakuni is asking for a duel. It's just a friendly match. And you, Vidur, Dronacharya are here. So you can be the judge that no one can cheat.'

Vidur (in mind), 'I am having a very bad feeling. Oh God please help us.'

Krishna on the battlefield was tensed.

Bheesm, 'Okay, but first set the rules.

1. Each party can stake the things which are important or priceless to him or he is proud of that thing. 

2. Each party should stake possessions of equal value to each other.

3. If anyone wants to finish the game they can do it at any time.

4. Royal women are not allowed to present at the court during the game.

5. Once lost the losing party will have no right on the thing they staked.

Shakuni and Yudhistir both agreed to the terms. 

Then the most dangerous game began. Shakuni looked at the dices thinking, 'Father, for many years I trapped your soul in this dices, just to take revenge. Today the game of destruction begins.'

Shakuni started rolling the dices. In the first few rounds he knowingly lost so that no one could suspect him. This loss of his encouraged Yudhishtir and his brothers. Bheem even taunted Shakuni saying, 'Mamashri, I heard that you were undefeatable in this game. But I  think people exaggerated about your talent.'

Shakuni feigning sadness, 'I know Bheem. Maybe today is not my day. Dharmraj, you are very talented.'

Sometimes Devas also fell for sweet flattering words and did mistakes, here Yudhistir was just a human. Trapped by Shakuni's sugar-coated praises, he continued the game. His brothers also encouraged him.

Then the game changed. Yudhistir started losing the game. At first, he lost expensive jewelry and gold coins. After each round, Shakuni encouraged him to play more to win back the money. Yudhishtir also continued that. Sahadev sensed the upcoming danger, so he asked Yudhistir not to continue but Shakuni told him, 'Come on nephew....are you the mighty Kshatriyas got scared just by losing a few rounds. Come on Dharmaraj...I don't know you guys are so cowards.'

Dusshasshan, 'Mamashri, I think they are not that brave as they portrayed themselves.'

The Pandavas blinded by their ego continued the game. Then Yudhishtir lost all of his possessions, so he decided to stake on Indraprastha. 

Bheesm, 'So that's your plan Shakuni. Trying to snatch their kingdom away. I know that it's all your conspiracy.'

Dhritarashtra, 'Tatshri, you are falsely accusing my brother-in-law. Are the Pandavas little kids from whom he is snatching away their toys? They are grown warriors. If Yudhishtir wants to stake his kingdom then what's the problem?'

Duryodhana, 'Okay Pitamaha, to make the stakes equal I am also staking on Hastinapur. If he wins, he can get back his wealth as well as Hastinapur. What say brother?'

Yudhistir staked on Indraprastha. He did not even think to get permission from his brothers who also had equal rights. Who, with their hard work made the entire kingdom beautiful and prosperous. His blind dharma sense forced him to stake everything. Then he lost Indraprastha as well.

Dejected he said, 'Now I cannot play anymore, I have nothing left.'

Shakuni, 'Come on Darmaraj. You still have something that you can stake. Your brothers. Are you not proud of them?'

  Drona roared, 'Shakuni, enough. You got everything you want. Now finish the game.'

Shakuni thought, 'You know nothing you fool. This is not just to get their wealth and kingdom. It is about revenge against the insult by them. But my ulterior motive was far more dangerous. I can win 100s of kingdoms like this with the ultimate weapon for which I laid this trap. Now I am waiting for his arrival.'

Duryodhana whispered to Shakuni, 'Mamashri, we got everything from them. You said he will come. When...he still did not show up.'

Shakuni, 'Patience bacche. He will come.'

Duryodhana remembered the plan his Mamashri told him,

Flashback

Shakuni called Duryodhana, Dusshasshan and Aswatthama and said, 'Today I want to give big news. Do you know that Maharani Kunti had another son? He is the eldest of the Pandavas.'

Duryodhana, 'What another competitor...how..who?

Shakuni smiled evilly, 'Bacche, he is the son of Kunti before her marriage. He is an illegitimate son. Kunti threw him in Ganga to protect her reputation.'

Aswatthama, 'So he is not a part of Kuru family, so he is not a competitor for the throne. But we can use him if he is alive to blackmail the Pandavas.'

Duryodhana always respected Kunti, but today he was blinded by rage. He roared, 'That woman is such a characterless. Even having a husband she had relations with 3 so-called Devas. And now she had another son before the marriage. What a shameless woman she is? Here Pitamaha, Vidur, Dronacharya everyone is praising her for being the mother of Dharmavan sons and accusing my mother for giving birth to evil sons. Such a woman who even threw her son in the water. Oh, a real Dharmavan family indeed.'

Dusshasshan, 'We should find the illegitimate son. It will tarnish the Pandavas reputation in front of entre Aryavart. Then I will kill that b*****d by my own hands.'

Shakuni, 'Don't even think about it as he will kill you before that.'

Duryodhana, 'I have no enmity with that son as he has nothing to do with the throne. But yes, we can use him.'

Shakuni smiling, 'Bacche we can not only use him to tarnish Kunti's reputation but also to be the Chakravarti Samrat of Aryavart.'

Dusshasshan, 'How?'

Shakuni, 'Because he is none other than Lord Parshuram's best student, who has the blessing to be the 'Digvijayee'. The most powerful warrior of the entire Aryavart who can stop the Brahmmastra and can evoke Lord Mahadev's weapon. Do you understand who I am talking about?'

Duryodhana dumbfounded, 'Karna.'

Shakuni, 'Yes, he is none other than your best friend Karna.'

Aswatthama, 'I knew it. He is the spy of the Pandavas. He came here to destroy us.'

Duryodhana, 'Does he know this truth?'

Shakuni, 'No I don't think so. I am not sure he himself knew the truth or not.'

Dusshasshan, 'I knew it. That man was not trustworthy.'

Shakuni, 'So Duryodhana, now it's time to bring him to our side by using this information.

Aswatthama, 'If he hid that truth that means he betrayed us'

 Duryodhana, 'No, I don't think he betrayed me. Even if he knew, he is not here to destroy me.  I think his main mission is to stop the war between the cousins. Yes..he tries to protect his blood brothers, but he also protected me. And one thing I am sure of, he loves me a lot. His own brothers insulted him, but I befriended him. That's why he never left me, even during the division.'

Shakuni thought, 'Why can't I instigate Duryoadhana's anger towards Karna. Why Mantra's magic is failing in front of their friendship? That day he was angry with him but now he is supporting him? Maybe I need to try a different approach.'

Aswatthama, 'Then why did he hide this important news from you?'

Shakuni, 'Maybe he did not want to embarrass his mother. You know he is very selfless. A few days back my spies informed me that the Pandavas were attacked by Nagas with Kaalkut vish. Kunti came to Karna's house. I don't know how but Karna went to Indraprastha to save them. Now Kunti is trying to take him back.' 

Dusshasshan, 'Mamashri whatever the reason is. We cannot trust him now.'

Shakuni, 'No Dusshasshan, we need him in our side.'

Aswatthama, 'How, if Rani Kunti wants him back then, he will be the king of Indraprastha.'

Shakuni, 'No no mere bacche. From what I know Kunti still did not inform the Pandavas about him. In fact, she still did not want to disclose his identity to anyone.'

Duryodhana, 'That means we have to save him from Kunti and Pandavas.'

Aswatthama, 'Why?'

Duryodhana, 'Do you really think a greedy man like Yudhistir will renounce his throne for an illegitimate child. He wanted to take away my rights though I am the rightful heir, so he will never give up his throne. But I  know my mitra. He is a righteous but naive who always sees good in every person. He will never understand the politics of those Pandavas. And Queen Kunti will never love him. They will emotionally blackmail him and force him to join them. They will never respect him but use his skills to win the entire Aryavart.'

Shakuni, 'Yes..you are right Bhanje. 

Shakuni used Duryodhana's possessiveness towards his best friend, 'Look my son, maybe we have differences but I always respected him for his skills. He is a real well-wisher of Kauravas.  So before Kunti did anything we have to bring him to our side.'

Duryodhana, 'But how Mamashri. His foster mother will never allow him to come to the palace to join us.'

Shakuni, 'We have to do something so that he will be forced to come to the palace and agree to be our allay. I have a plan.' Then he disclosed his plan.

Duryodhana cried, 'No Mamashri, I cannot betray him like that. It's blackmailing. I will try something else. I will go and ask for his forgiveness.'

Shakuni, 'No Bacche, we don't have time for that. And that trickster Krishna also poisoned his mind against you. This is the only way by which he will have no other choice than to join us. And it's not like that we are doing this to humiliate him or something. I know you will never do anything bad to him.'

Duryodhana cried, 'No Mamasri, even if he will join us. But he will be very angry with me. He will never forgive me.'

Shakuni, 'No son, he will. As I said he loves you a lot. And when he will be here, you have time to convince him about your true intentions. And Yuvraj, you are the prince, as your subject, it is his duty to follow your orders. He did wrong when he left you. He should have stayed with you. Now it's time to bring your biggest weapon back. We are doing this for his own good.'

Shakuni knew he utilized Duryodhana's insecurities and possessiveness well. Now he was going to hit two birds with one stone. First, he would humiliate those Pandavas and arrogant Draupadi in such a way that could lose all their self-respect. Secondly, he could force Karna to join them. Now he had to use Karna's biggest weakness...Karna could not see anyone in distress and this time it would be his brothers who were in trouble.

Flashback ends

Back to Dice game

Duryodhana, 'What happened, aren't you proud of your brothers? Oh, I understand, after all, they are not from the same father. They are your stepbrothers.'

Bheem roared, 'Shut up Duryodhana, don't you dare to say such bad words against my brother.'

Dusshsshan, Then why he is not staking you guys?'

Duryodhana, 'I am proud of my brothers, so I am betting on Yuyutsu along with all your possessions.'

Bheesm cried, 'Yudhishtir, my son. Don't do that. Humans are not possessions.'

Shakuni. 'Come on Gangaputra. Do you forget the law of Hastiapur? The head of the family has every right to their members. And everybody knows that Mahamahim Bheesm is the ardent follower of the law.'

Dronacharya pleaded, 'But still it's an adharm.'

Shakuni, 'What adharm? Am I doing anything against the law?'

Then Bheesm, Drona and Vidur remembered. Once they had a debate with Karna about the laws and he said, 'Laws were made for humanity, humanity is not for the law.' Today they realized the depth of his words.

Yudhistir the staked on Sahadev. Again Shakuni won.

Duryodhana ordered, 'Sahadev, you are my slave now. Go and sit with the servants.'

Then Shakuni forced his to stake on another brother. Nakul volunteered and Yudhistir again lost him too. 

Bhanumati's room

Bhanumati was sure that her husband and Mamashri were planning something big. So she ordered one of her maids to give her the news of the dice hall. She rushed and informed her about the incidents. 

Bhanumati, 'What...I never have dreamed of my Arya will do such heinous act.'

Meenakshi, 'Jiji, what will happen now?'

Bhanumati, 'Now there is only one person who can do anything?'

Meenakshi, 'Bhrata Karna! Jiji, we have to send someone to inform him.'

Bhanumati agreed and asked one of her trusted maids to go and inform Karna. Then both of them asked another maid to inform Kunti and Draupadi so that they could stop Yudhistir to further proceed with the game. 

Karna's house

Radha after meeting disguised Devi Sangya was so scared that he almost locked Karna in his room. Karna tried to assure her that he would never go to the palace but she was adamant not to let him out of her sight.

Kailash

Lord Shiva, 'Radha no one can go against Niyati. I understand your pain but it's his destiny.'

The maid rushed to Avantika's house first and told her everything. Now the news of the dice game was spread in the entire Hastinapur and everybody was agitated. They were not only angry at Duryodhana and  Shakuni for this conspiracy but also at Yudhishtir for his foolish act. Avni along with the maid ran to Karna's house and told everything to them.

Adhirath, 'Karna you just stop this madness. Yuvraj will listen to you. Please go.'

Radha shouted, 'No...I will not allow my son to go to that wretched place. Let the royalties solve their own problem. Putri Avni, please don't mingle with these royalties. The only thing they can do is to conspire against each other.'

Hastinapur palace

After hearing the news, Kunti rushed to the dice hall. The soldiers stopped her as the royal women were not allowed to enter the dice hall, but she was adamant. Then another soldier came and informed her that Yudhistir lost Bheem too.

Kunti knew what would happen to her sons if she did not do something soon. Now only one person could do anything...Karna. She took her chariot and rushed to Karna's house.

Karna's house,

Kunti ran to Karna's house. She saw Adhirath and asked her, 'Adhirath, where is Karna. I want to meet him right now?'

Radha came out, 'Maharani, I told you not to meet my son. You are the queen of Indraprastha, not Hastinapur so don't order us.'

Kunti, 'But I need his help. A big adharma is going on in Hastinapur Palace and only he can stop this.'

The villagers also gathered around them. They heard everything. One of the villagers said, 'Devi Kunti we deeply regret what is happening to your sons but why do you come here. Your sons left no chance to insult our Karna. He always respected them but your sons always badmouthed him. So why now crying in front of the adharmi suta. Your son is a big Dharmagyani. So go to him ask his Dharmagyan to protect themselves.' 

The common folks loved Karna as he made their lives better. They saw him as their Messiah. When the Pandavas insulted him, they all were angry at them. Now they did not want to lose the chance to taunt the Rajmata.

Adhirath angrily, 'Sushen, please don't talk to her like that. She is a respected woman. She is our queen. We should not disrespect her.'

Someone from the crowd taunted, 'What queen? She is nothing but the mother of the slaves now.'

Hearing all the commotion Karna came out of the house. After hearing everything Karna was shocked. He thought, 'Hey Prabhu. what am I supposed to do now? How could anyone do such an adharm?'

Then suddenly another soldier came and told everyone that Yudhistir lost Arjun and he was ready to stake himself as well. 

Kunti could not stop herself anymore. She sat not her knees and pleaded to Karna, 'Karna, I am begging you. Please save them.'

Karna was shocked. He bent down and made her stand, 'Please Rajmata, don't do this. You are making me a sinner.'

Kunti sobbed heavily, 'Please Karna, save your brothers. I am your mother, I am requesting you. Please go and save them. Today I am begging in front of you. Have mercy on this poor mother of yours.'

Krishna sadly said, 'No one can hide the truth as truth is like sunlight Bua. I warned you before. Now you yourself revealed the truth in front of the entire world'.

The villagers except Avni and Karna's family were stunned. Karna..their beloved Vasusen was the son of Kunti. Was he the true king? Then Radha angrily roared, 'No...Karna is my son and mine only. Now you remembered him as your son when you need help for your legitimate sons. You the woman who threw him in the river to hide her sins, you who was silent with all the humiliation he suffered. Now your sons dug their own grave due to their foolishness and you came here to beg for his help.'

Suryalok,

Suryadev remembered his curse. 'KUNTI FOR YOUR REPUTATION YOU LEFT MY SON TO DIE, NOW I CURSE YOU, YOUR REPUTATION WILL BE TARNISHED BY YOUR LEGITIMATE SONS. FOR THEM YOU WILL FACE UTTER HUMILIATION AND THEN YOU WILL FELL ON MY SON'S FEET FOR HELP. TODAY MY SON BEGGED YOU NOT TO LEAVE HIM. ONE DAY YOU WILL BEG IN FRONT OF MY SON. THEN YOU WILL REALIZE WHAT SIN YOU HAVE COMMITTED.'

Suryadev, 'I don't know my curse will create such an impact in their life. Hey, Pravu now what will happen?'

Karna looked at his Radhama. He himself wanted to go and help his brothers. He requested his mother, 'Radhama, please let me go.'

Avantika, 'Radhama, please otherwise there will be a disaster. Please Radhama.'

Adhirath, 'Radha, don't be so stone-hearted. You are a mother yourself and can't you see the pain of a mother.'

Radha cried, 'Yes, now I am the one who is wrong here? But I will not allow Karna to go to the Palace at any cost. I am his mother. The revered Sadhvi told me that my son will be in danger if he goes there today. Karna....you have to choose today between your own mother and your Radhama. If you disobey me I will give up my life here,'

After hearing everything the villagers were also supporting Radha. Adhirath was helpless. He did not understand what to do.

Karna was stunned. He could not disobey his Radhama but on the other hand, it was his brothers. Most importantly a big adharma was happening and he the God of Dharmayudh was helpless today.

Karna looked at Kunti. His eyes were moist with tears but said, 'Rajmata, my Radhama is my world. I cannot disobey her. Please try to understand.'

In mind, he cried, 'Hey Pravu, please help your devotee. I am so helpless today. Please do something. Help my brothers and Devi Panchali.'

 Tears were also rolling down from Krishna's eyes. He said, 'Karna I am sorry. I cannot do anything. It's all Karmfall. They shall reap what they sow. Kunti Bua's curse, Pandavas ego, Draupadi's arrogance, all are coming back to haunt them today. '

 Next- Dice game (II)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.2K 3.4K 32
~Book 1 of Mother's secret series~ After the incident in the graduation arena, where Karna has sworn himself in front of the entire kingdom to Duryod...
28.3K 1.7K 22
Two parallel universes: one where Karna and Arjun are sworn to kill each other, another where they grew up together as Kunti's sons. The latter get a...
Another Chance for Lives By

Historical Fiction

46.8K 2.2K 41
Karna and Draupadi. A story for many who wanted another chance for Karna and Draupadi. What if the Gods decides to give them another chance? What wi...
35.1K 1.4K 14
A Karna-Arjun what-if story. What could have been, if before the war, Kunti let her sons know about the King of Anga's true birth? Conflicted with th...