Sweeney & Bowen

By uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... More

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Seven: Homecoming
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: Quinceaรฑero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama
Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter Eight: What Team?

1.3K 55 3
By uninspiredachiever

Today, we are recreating the iconic HSM cover of the cast up in the air, for our production's poster. I feel out of place in the bright colors for Gabriella's costume—the orange sweater, green shirt, and blue pants—but at the same time, grateful; I gave myself the weekend to recover and decided to not quit the show.

"Check on camera." I hear Carlos instruct Kourtney.

Knowing that he is nearby, I slowly make my way toward him. I clear my throat to get his attention, before raising my brows and holding my arms out to reveal the Gabriella costume.

With a gasp, his eyes widen in admiration, "Blanche! You look beautiful! The bright colors!"

"I feel like an Easter egg." I dryly complain.

He nearly bursted out laughing at my sincerity, "Give me a twirl!" He grins.

I roll my eyes, with my hands flat out to comply with the twirl—slowly, without enthusiasm—as he chuckles gently and nods in approval, which causes the corners of my mouth to quirk up in a small smile.

"I just need to do my hair, then I'm all set." I inform, squeezing his shoulder as I step away. Carlos nods in acknowledgment.

***************************
After finishing my hair and stepping out from behind the curtain, I hear Seb and Carlos laughing, so I move toward them.

However, upon finding EJ getting into costume, because he was running late, I stop in my tracks as my heart falls anxiously.

For a brief moment, our eyes lock, and I return his tight-lipped smile, before fixing my gaze onto Carlos and Seb, "I don't have nachos, Sharpay, don't be scared." I joke.

Going along with it, Seb playfully rolls his eyes, "Oh, but aren't you the new lifeguard?" in a sassy, Sharpay tone. The three of us laugh.

With a hand over his heart, Carlos squeezes his eyes shut, "I love this!" He admires, as we laugh.

"Bianca, this is the first time I've seen you in bright colors!" Seb admires.

"Right!" Carlos grins.

I huff a laugh while glancing down at the outfit, "I hate it."

"Let's get some air, Wildcats!" Gina announces, walking in, before interacting with Ricky. It appears they have made up after Homecoming.

"Okay, guys. We're gonna get one in for practice, okay?" Big Red informs.

Taking places between Ricky and Seb, I prepare to strike the same pose as Gabriella; arms overhead, mouth open in a wide grin.

"We're all gonna jump on the count of three. Ready? One, two, three." He clicks the camera, but we all jump at different times.

Kourtney passes by and apologizes for getting in the shot, which gave us a moment to settle in.

"One, two, three." Again, we jump at different times—accidentally knocking down a letter on the HSM sign this time.

"Wait, what happened?" Big Red questions, taken aback.

Ricky shrugs, growing annoyed, "Where to begin?"

"What didn't happen?" I sarcastically put forth.

"I think you went early." Seb remarks, pointing at Ricky.

I nod in agreement, "I noticed."

The boy in question rolls his eyes at me and the blond.

"Are we jumping on three, or after three?" Gina questions, puzzled.

"Yeah, the count of three. Ready?" Big Red responds, as though it were obvious.

My brows furrow, "You didn't answer the question."

"Nah, man," Ricky dismisses, "You need some new words." pointing at his best friend.

"Like," I suggest, "Count to three, then point at us, so we know when to jump."

Ricky hums in mocking amusement, "That was the first good idea you've ever had, Sweeney." He taunts.

I roll my eyes, "That was the first time you've ever said anything smart, Bowen."

"So, you agree?" He sarcastically shot back.

I roll my eyes and flick my hand dismissively, "Whatever. You know what I meant."

"Guys!" Big Red exclaims, growing annoyed.

Concern and confusion cross Seb's face, as he reaches down to touch his shoes, "I think I broke a heel."

Carlos sighs in annoyance, "You guys, this isn't that hard. You smile, you leave the earth, you land."

"It's a little hard to smile, when we don't even know the plan." Ricky points out.

Gina chuckles gently, "I can't look at Ricky. Is that a problem?" She questions, motioning to his Troy wig.

This caused us to laugh, while Ricky was simply annoyed.

"Okay, let's take a five." Carlos instructs, waving it off.

"On five or after five?" Ricky sarcastically remarks, though there was no humor in his annoyed tone.

"I think he's mad at us." Seb points out as Ricky walks away, causing us to burst out laughing.

**************************************************

*******************
I was at the piano, talking to Seb, when Natalie approached us, "Have you heard anything from Carlos or Miss Jenn? They're never late."

"It's weird. He's not responding to texts." Seb replies.

I nod in agreement with Seb, "Same"

After a while, Natalie decided to start rehearsal without our drama teacher and choreographer. "Guys, let's just start. Flip to When There Was Me and You in your script." She instructs.

Ashlyn's brows furrow, "Oh, should we maybe wait until Miss Jenn gets here?"

Finally, Carlos walks in, "Okay, people, let's stage a number. I'm late!"

"Where's Miss Jenn?" I question, taking notice of my friend's uneasy state.

"She had a small personal matter to attend to, and will not be here today." He blurts.

"Is everything all right?" Seb checks in.

"Everything is fine." Carlos awkwardly chuckles, "Why would you guys even ask that?" He is nervous, causing all of us to share concerned looks.

The choreographer takes my hands, "Okay. Gabriella, I need you downstage on this mark. Troy, stage right. Chad, stage left box. Um, other boys, find a box." He instructs.

I cross my arms, with confusion on my face, "Why are they on stage with me? This is my song."

Ricky fakes a cough, "Diva." I roll my eyes then glare at him.

"They will be frozen in various poses to come. As the ballad builds, Bianca, you will be wandering through a forest of boys." Carlos explains.

My eyes narrow, "A forest of boys? That sounds like both a horror movie, and a boyband album." I joke, causing the girls to laugh.

I continue, "I've been camping so many times, that I consider myself an expert, but..what would that even look like?"

"So, you know what a forest of trees looks like?" Carlos questions.

"I've seen Into The Woods." I sarcastically answer, as if that is how I am familiar with a forest.

He smiles proudly at my response, "Instead of creatures, it's with boys."

I shake my head, "No. Carlos, this is my moment. Why are they here?"

He sighs, "Because your heart has just been shattered, and you can't stop thinking about how amazing Troy is! Let's go!" He instructs, Seb starts the piano.

"No!" I dismiss, "I'm not doing it this way. That son of a bitch Troy just sold me out to his teammates!" I snap.

"Well, she's got a point." Ashlyn chimes in, "What Troy did was kind of unforgivable. Respectfully, Carlos, I think the last thing anyone wants in this moment is four more versions of him."

"Maybe she could chop down the trees." Natalie put forth.

"Or what if she's surrounded by a forest of loving and supportive sisters. Okay?" Kourtney proudly suggests. The girls agree, and I shrug in consideration. 

Ricky raises his hand, "Is it better if she just sings a solo, acoustic version?" Everybody disagrees.

"I vote for that!" Gina defends him.

I roll my eyes, knowing she is only agreeing because of her obvious crush on my enemy.

"I don't! This scene is iconic, I've been wanting to recreate it forever!" I exclaim.

"Okay, you guys, this is not a democracy!" Carlos shouts, anxiously.

I approach him as guilt overtakes me, "I'm sorry, Carlos. Everyone can just come back when Miss Jenn gets here."

"Well, she's not here, and I don't know if she's ever coming back." He blurts, and my eyes widen as shock crosses my face.

"Wait, what?" Ricky questions, taken aback.

"Is this a joke?" Ashlyn wonders.

"She's in deep trouble, you guys. They're saying that she lied on her job application, and there's a school board meeting in less than 24 hours, and she's probably going to lose her job. I wasn't supposed to tell any of you, but I'm trying to do my best here." Carlos explains.

My heart began to race, causing my breathing to tremble as I took in the news, "Wow."

Nini sighs, "I can't believe it."

"What are we even doing in rehearsal?" EJ exclaims.

"Wait, how can we have a show if we don't have a teacher?" Ashlyn questions.

"You know you could have told me." Seb soothes.

"Miss Jenn asked me not to." Carlos quietly informs.

"You know what? I.. um... I need a minute." Nini announces, before walking out.

"Right there with you." Kourtney agrees, and multiple people follow. While Natalie and Ricky attempt to make everyone stay.

Seb and I decide to stay by Carlos, because we are both in shock and are unsure of where to go.

"Rehearsals are officially canceled until further notice!" Carlos announces, Seb softly caresses his shoulders. "I need to be alone right now, guys." He quietly informs, before walking out.

Seb and I exchange worried looks before choosing to exit the room together.

********************************************
*Third-Person POV*

EJ confesses to Nini, "I went to homecoming with Gina because I thought the drama would be too much for Ricky, and he'd quit the show. She thought the same with Bianca, I'm pretty sure. I was also hoping you seeing Gina and I together would make you jealous, and...I don't know, end with me and you back together."

"How would that even work? That wouldn't be proving to me that I could trust you." Nini explains.

"I never really understood, so, I guess while I'm confessing to things, despite the 4.3 GPA, I'm actually an idiot." He huffs a laugh.

Nini shakes her head in shame, "I don't really know what you want me to say."

"You don't have to say anything, I just wanted to do the right thing." He sighs, then walks away before swiftly stopping in his tracks, "Oh, uh..I also wrote you a really weird song once."

********************************************
*Bianca's POV*

As I close my locker to find EJ approaching me, confusion crosses my face, "Hey?"

He takes a deep breath, before offering a tight-lipped smile, "Hey."

I shut my eyes in embarrassment and blurt out, "I'm sorry about Homecoming-"

"Don't be." He blurts, waving it off.

My brows furrow as I open my eyes curiously and put my hands on my hips.

"It's fine." He assures, "It was definitely a slap in the face, but I deserved it."

I playfully shake my head in shame, as we share a gentle laugh.

"Bianca," EJ sighs, "Remember how my parents used to be on the school board? Well, if there's a hearing tomorrow, Miss Jenn is a done deal."

My eyes widen as shock crosses my face, "Seriously?!"

He nods, "Bianca, I'm so proud of you for getting back on the stage. I know everyone thinks you went through an awkward phase, because that's what you told them, but I know the real reason. I'm sorry that you won't get to play Gabriella. The audience doesn't know what they're missing. Don't ever listen to your mom."

Just when I think I'm done with him, he immediately pulls me back in. At his words, my eyes and heart both softened, "EJ, that means everything to me."

He nods, smiling, "We might not have worked out as a couple, but you'll always be really special to me."

I had to inhale to keep tears from escaping me, "I appreciate that, EJ. I appreciate you."

EJ nods, smiling wide while gently tapping my right elbow as my hands are still on my hips, before walking away.

While trying to hold back my tears, I take a deep breath and shut my eyes. I believe I am in the sad part of the breakup process, so maybe they were right about the denial, anger, and sadness stages of a breakup.

******************************************
Call after call, the entire drama club somehow ended up in Big Red's basement.

I am standing next to the fireplace, somewhat close to Nini. We were in awkward silence until Natalie spoke up, "This is a terrible party. There aren't even pretzels. What are we all doing here?" She snaps.

Ashlyn shrugs, "We all ended up in the same basement after a really bad day, so someone should say something." She encourages.

"Fine." Carlos blurts, "I'll say something. I'm mad at Miss Jenn."

"Why?" Gina scoffs, "Because she's got a couple skeletons in her closet?"

"No," He dismisses, "Because she's giving up. She was the first teacher to not see me as a punchline, and now she's not even a real teacher?"

"Define "real teacher." Ashlyn challenges.

"He's got a point." Kourtney agrees.

"Does he, though?" Natalie questions.

"Guys," Big Red dismisses.

"So, why are we all here then?" The stage manager snaps.

EJ nods in agreement, "Yeah, good question. This is a waste of time."

"Guys," I dismiss, earning the attention, "I don't have the best reputation, so I would be a hypocrite if I judged Miss Jenn for becoming a teacher in two hours with a Chuck E. Cheese survey,"

My over-exaggeration earned puzzled looks from the drama club, and caused Carlos to finally crack a smile and stifle back a laugh.

"But, Carlos made a point." I continue, "Bottom line, Miss Jenn helped us all, in some sorta way, even if it didn't seem like it 'til now. Like, after my audition, when she told me I flourished. I always think of that whenever I have doubts about myself in rehearsal."

Carlos nods in agreement, "Yeah. And she gave me a shot. It's been a long time since someone gave me a shot."

Seb empathizes and softly sets a hand on Carlos' knee.

"Okay," Ashlyn starts, "Does anyone here actually care if her past is a little bit sketchy? Anyone?"

"I do." Ricky blurts, standing next to me by the fireplace, to earn the attention.

Big Red's brows furrow, "Seriously, dude?"

Ricky continues, "Because she put our show in jeopardy. And now we're all here, maybe for the last time, together. And for some of us, this has become.." He trails off, turning away in embarrassment, "I don't know." He mutters.

"Home," I quietly add for him.

Ricky meets my gaze, taken aback, almost stunned and in admiration, but probably just grateful that I understood.

"What team?" He questions, looking out at everyone.

"Wildcats!" We pledge.

Ashlyn nods, "Okay, Wildcats. So, what are we doing about it?" She questions.

***************************************************

Mr. Gutierrez speaks into the microphone, "Miss Jenn, it may not surprise you to learn that we have heard earfuls about your unorthodox style, ever since you got to East High. Personally, I always chalked it up to the well-known fact that people in the dramatic arts are insane." He cackles.

"Thank you." Miss Jenn blurts.

"But now, we have news that your resumé is exaggerated. Your teaching credential is from some obscure online university, and even your official name might be some version of a stage name. What do you say to this charge?" He went on.

"I have always done my best by these kids." Miss Jenn starts.

"Just answer the question." He demands.

An unfamiliar man stands up, "Excuse me. Can I say something?"

"I'm sorry. We're not opening up the floor to parents on this." The principal informs.

"Let him speak." A woman spoke up.

Mr. Gutierrez's eyes widen at the demand, "Go ahead, Mr. Bowen." He allows.

I turn to face Ricky's dad while seated between Carlos and Seb because, for some reason, hearing his last name stunned me.

"I'm a little late to this party," Mr. Bowen starts, "But I gotta say, the real crime here, would be booting a teacher who's making a positive impact. I've never seen my kid this invested in anything, and I don't think that's something we should punish, your... honor." He was unsure how to address the principal.

The other parents agree, but my mom cannot even hide the critical expression on her face, before glancing down at her emerald green puff-sleeve midi dress.

"Mr. Bowen, I appreciate your statement, but I think we can all agree that theater isn't unique in this regard. It doesn't have some special fairy dust that can't be filled by another extracurricular."

Humming interrupts Mr. Gutierrez, our plan to save Miss Jenn. As our principal becomes irritated and wonders what the noise is, we begin to hum in unison.

The posters were hung from the cafeteria's balcony, before Kourtney started the music. To save Miss Jenn, we start the song and choreography that we spent the entire night perfecting.

After the performance, we gathered around Miss Jenn, arms extended in praise of our drama teacher, looking at the unamused principal.

Damian and Kat began to applaud, which inspired everyone else to do the same. My mother, however, had already left.

"Settle, people! Settle down. Settle down." Mr. Gutierrez shouts, "Do we have any further questions?"

"Just one." Oh, another surprise: we were able to contact Kaycee Stroh, who was more than happy to help save our theater department. "So, how do I snag two tickets for opening night?"

As the drama club was finally saved, we all cheered.

Carlos hugs me before approaching Miss Jenn. Seb and I briefly freak out after our hug, and then Ashlyn joins us in a group hug. The three of us jump up and down in excitement.

"This meeting is adjourned. I guess the show's back on." Mr. Gutierrez announces, dreadfully.

"You did amazing!" Kat beams, approaching in a red, tie-back-wrap-skort romper. With my brother beside her, in a button-down, denim collar and khakis.

"I don't say this often, but.." Damian pauses for the dramatic, "I'm very proud that you're my sister."

"Awwe, Damie!" I beam, pulling both of them into a group hug, "Thank you, guys!"

"Where's mom?" I question, once we pull away.

"I saw her take off with that guy from dinner the other night." Damian explains.

Disgust crosses my face, "They're probably plotting." We share a laugh.

I then look over to find Miss Jenn and Mr. Bowen, it looks like they're flirting.

I scan the crowd to find Ricky, and his gaze is already on them; he looks happy about it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.5K 717 15
(Completed) She's Nini's best friend's sister. But Nini has a boyfriend. So why can't Nini get this girl out of her head? Although Nini has spent muc...
1.2K 55 35
Is it just a showmance? Or could it more? Nini and Ricky gets casted as the leads in their school's drama performance. Everyone can sense their chem...
81.4K 2.7K 60
๐‡๐€๐“๐„๐…๐”๐‹ ๐‹๐Ž๐•๐„: "๐˜ผ๐™ฌ, ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ ๐™จ, ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ข๐™š๐™–๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™จ๐™ค ๐™ข๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ข๐™š, ๐˜พ๐™–๐™จ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ก๐™ก. ๐™‰๐™ค๐™ฌ, ๐™˜๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™—๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ค๐™›๐™š๐™จ๐™จ๏ฟฝ...
49.9K 992 16
Ricky Bowen and Nini Salazar-Roberts have hated each other since the day they met, much to the disklike of their friends. If they hate each other so...