Sweeney & Bowen

By uninspiredachiever

Trying to regain EJ Caswell's heart, Bianca Sweeney auditions for the role of Gabriella, but something stands... More

Act I:
Chapter One: The Start of Something New
Chapter Two: Auditions
Chapter Three: The Read-Through
Chapter Four: Breaking Free
Chapter Five: The Wonderstudies
Chapter Six: Blocking
Chapter Eight: What Team?
Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving
Chapter Ten: The Tech Rehearsal
Chapter Eleven: Opening Night
Chapter Twelve: Act Two
Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve
Chapter Fourteen: Typecasting
Chapter Fifteen: Valentine's Day
Chapter Sixteen: The Storm
Chapter Seventeen: Quinceaรฑero
Chapter Eighteen: Yes, And
Chapter Nineteen: Field Trip
Chapter Twenty: Most Likely To
Chapter Twenty-One: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation
Chapter Twenty-Three: Showtime
Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances
Chapter Twenty-Five: If It's True Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Into The Unknown
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Woman in the Woods
Chapter Twenty-Nine: No Drama
Chapter-Thirty: The Real Campers of Shallow Lake
Chapter Thirty-One: Color War
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Three: Camp Prom
Chapter Thirty-Four Let It Go
Chapter Thirty-Five: New Normal
Chapter Thirty-Six: High School Musical 4
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Meant To Be
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Star Is Reborn
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bianca's Birthday
Chapter Forty: The Thirteenth
Chapter Forty-One: Trick Or Treat
Chapter Forty-Two: Trust The Process
Chapter Forty-Three: Wrapped
Chapter Fourty-Four: Play The Scene
Chapter Forty-Five: Born To Be Brave

Chapter Seven: Homecoming

1.3K 51 13
By uninspiredachiever

*Third-Person POV*

"I'm telling you, Nini hardcore friend-zoned me." Ricky explains, walking down the hall with Big Red.

"Then ask someone else." His best friend suggests.

"Oh, yeah? Who?" He sarcastically questions.

"Bianca?" Big Red suggests, shrugging.

Ricky rolls his eyes, "Not this again. Bianca and I don't like each other. We will never get along."

"You say that now, but you never know!" Big Red protests, throwing his arms out.

*********************************************Bianca's POV*

It has been a few days since Carlos told me about his crush on Seb, and while the two of them have grown closer, Carlos is still hesitant to ask him to homecoming.

After rehearsal, as everyone was packing up, while Carlos and Seb were still chatting, I made the decision to take matters into my own hands.

I sat down at the piano to begin playing and singing What I've Been Looking For (Reprise), in an effort to create a romantic spark.

When I ended the song, they exchanged a smile that spoke for itself, after stealing glances at one another many times.

I walked away silently, happy with myself.

(Bianca: in front of the lockers)

"I'm still paranoid that Seb doesn't like me, especially since we haven't talked since he gave me the cold shoulder. And, even though I'm afraid that'll put a wedge between me and Carlos, I would do anything to see Carlos happy, even if that doesn't include me anymore."

She huffs a laugh, fighting back tears in her glossy eyes at the thought of losing her friendship with Carlos, "I'm growin' up."

I stepped out of the bomb shelter after the performance so Carlos and Seb could chat and, hopefully, arrange plans for homecoming. And later, when I came back, I found Carlos wearing a wide grin. I smiled, interpreting it as his reaction to Seb's acceptance.

"I'm guessing he said yes?" I teasingly assume.

"He did!" Carlos beams, standing up from his seat.

"I'm so happy for you." My features soften, squeezing his shoulder affectionately.

He wiggles his brows, "So, are you gonna ask anyone?"

"Nope." I pop the P, shaking my head, "Ashlyn and I are gonna have a girls' night."

"Homecoming is not girls' night!" He exclaims.

I shake my head in disagreement, "I'm mad at EJ, and there's no one else I would want to go with."

Carlos smirks, "What about Ricky?"

Disgust crosses my face, "What is up with you and Ashlyn wanting Ricky and I to get together?"

He shrugs, "You match each other's wits, you'd make a hot couple.." He counts on his fingers, I cut him off.

"No! Gross!" I dramatically exclaim.

He chuckles gently, "Fine! I just want to see you happy. So, fine, if you and Ashlyn having a girls' night at homecoming is going to make you happy, then I'm all for that."

"If I'm being honest," I start, sighing, "It's kind of a drag. I've always wanted to be asked to a dance, and it be a really romantic night, but..whatever." I quickly blurt to mask my sincerity that finally seeped in.

Carlos smiles sadly, bringing me into a hug, "You'll get that one day, I promise."

I return his embrace, before playfully scoffing, "What are you doing to me!? I've been, like, expressing my emotions and stuff, all happy and smiling, all 'cause of you!" in fake disgust.

His features soften as he laughs and pulls away, "I've created a monster!" He admires.

We laugh, as he puts an arm around my shoulder to lead me out to the hall, "And you'll also get your dream of a guy buying you flowers and serenading you."

I playfully roll my eyes, huffing a laugh, "Sure." sarcastically.

**************************************************

Ashlyn & I walk in with our arms linked, singing Bet on It from HSM2. We are in line for the dance, behind a couple, and given how obnoxious we are singing, they undoubtedly assume we pre-gamed.

"Am I the type of guy who means what I say? Bet on it, bet on it. Bet on it, bet on it. You can bet on meee!!" We sing, then burst out laughing.

As we approach Mr. Mazzara, he offers a kind smile.

"Last name Sweeney, first name Bianca." Not that he needed me to, but I let him know so he can identify us on the list.

I lean in closer to Ashlyn, to mutter, "Which I know you know." as if I were saying it to him. She and I share a light laugh.

Mr. Mazzara hands us the tickets, "Table ten with the theater kids. Remember to snap a picture on the way!" He grins.

Before entering, we accept the tickets while feigning grins. Then, Ashlyn and I strike a pose for the camera by standing back to back and holding hands. Afterward, we head to the table full of glum theater kids.

"Hey, guys." I greet, earning the attention of everyone but Ricky.

"Why does everyone look so sad?" Ashlyn points out, trying to lighten the mood with a grin, despite being puzzled.

Big Red swiftly looked back down at Ricky's phone, after sneaking a glimpse Ashlyn's way, flashing a smile that missed her eye.

Meanwhile, Carlos' eyes are wide in admiration, "I am obsessed with you two! You look amazing!"

"No, you!" I confidently shot back, as if I weren't being sincere.

"Yeah, just you!" Ashlyn matches my tone, and the three of us share a laugh.

"No, but," I dismiss, tone serious, "Carlos, you look amazing!" I compliment, making him grin and shrug confidently.

After a moment of silence, my eyes land on the quiet best friends.

"Hi." I firmly blurted out, as if reminding the boys to greet us.

Ricky sighed in annoyance, finally glancing up. His brown eyes widened and softened as he did so, almost as if he were admiring me—or rather, checking me out—as he then subtly glanced me over from head to toe.

I did not think much of it, only rolled my eyes. Carlos and Ashlyn shared a look, a joyful and excited one. With a small smile Big Red, glanced in shock at his best friend. 

In an effort to act casual, Ricky cleared his throat, "Hey," before quickly looking back down at his phone.

I finally sat down, between Carlos and Ashlyn, and we ended up taking a million selfies. By the millionth one, I heard Ricky say: "I don't believe this! This dude steals my girlfriend, and twelve seconds after they break up, he's already playin' the field." He scoffs a laugh.

Knowing that he is referring to EJ, makes my smile fade.

With anxious expressions now shadowing their features, Ashlyn and Carlos cast a sideways glance my way. I force a smile, so Ashlyn takes that as a sign to continue snapping pictures in order to distract me.

"You could take a lesson from that, my man." Big Red encourages, "You made a pact with your dad; you're putting yourself out there again, right? So, put. yourself. out. there." With every word that just left Big Red's mouth, his head was motioning towards me, and his eyes were signaling me out.

I tried to ignore it, but with each head motion, Ricky's eyes would follow, glancing between Big Red and me.

They go on to talk about Ricky's dad, then familiar faces approach our table. My gaze falls on them, with disappointment crossing my face as an ache fills my chest. Ashlyn slowly puts her phone down.

"Excuse us. These seats taken?" Gina questions, with a taunting smile in my direction.

All eyes are now on my angered face; except for EJ, who has his eyes on the ground and appears forced into Gina's plan to provoke me. But when she puts her head on his shoulder, he snaps out of it and fakes a grin.

I force a smile and speak firmly, "Have a seat."

******************************
EJ showing up with Gina was not the only thing that ruined my night. My main concern this evening was Seb's absence, which I fear is a result of me.

"He'll show up, okay?" Ashlyn assures.

I nod in agreement, "Maybe he just hit traffic."

"We live in Salt Lake City." Carlos reminds, "There hasn't been traffic since the 2002 Winter Olympics."

"Carlos," I start, offering a sad smile, "Maybe something bad happened back at the farm, or something?"

"Oh, Blanche," Carlos gently dismisses, shaking his head, "Consoling is not one of your strong suits." He reminds.

The corners of my mouth quirk up in a guilty smile, knowing that he is right and my accidental sarcastic, firm tone gave me away. We share a gentle laugh.

Gina made it abundantly clear that she was trying to get my attention, when she eventually took her impatient gaze off me, to look at EJ instead, "Could you get me some punch, Babe?"

Confusion crosses EJ's face, "S-Sure, Babe.."

I turn my head to roll my eyes. Then, once EJ is out of sight, Ricky takes his seat.

"Hey, not to intrude on date night, but-" He starts.

Gina cuts him off, "You're not exactly one to give relationship advice." She appeared a little embarrassed and even a little flustered that Ricky was interfering.

"Wow, I thought we were friends." Ricky provokes, huffing a laugh, "But, hey, maybe you really are what people say you are."

"And that is?" She pressed, taken aback, trying to mask her hurt with a quiet tone.

"Dude!" Big Red attempts to stop his best friend.

"Just a little too ambitious for your own good, or anyone else's." Ricky scolds, leaving the entire table uncomfortable. She was completely taken aback and embarrassed. He simply takes a sip of his drink.

I grow annoyed, "Shut up, Bowen. The only reason why you're at this table with us, is solely because you're too ambitious for your own good, and everyone else's, including Nini's. You thought she would come running back to you, but you're here alone. I don't know who you're hearing talk about Gina, but you clearly aren't hearing the things they say about you."

After my rant, I take a sip of my drink to make the dramatic point that he attempted.

Shock overtook Big Red, Carlos, and Ashlyn's features, while a taken aback Gina smirks.

An embarrassed Ricky clicks his tongue before speaking, "You wanna know something, Sweeney?"

"Sure." I sarcastically reply, as if I were dying to know.

"You're the one who's too ambitious. You only auditioned for the musical because of EJ, then thought you could bully me out of the part of Troy." He rants.

"Oh, bully? I'm so sorry, Bowen." I sarcastically apologize, in a fake compassionate tone.

"You're not ambitious, Sweeney. You're just a bitch." Ricky shot back.

His remark gained a shocked "ooh" from his best friend, and stunned looks from everyone else.

It would be a lie to say that it did not hurt a little, but I shot back without missing a beat, "I'm aware." almost nonchalantly, yet firmly.

"Hey," Carlos dismisses, anger now shadowing his features, earning the attention of the shocked group. "Drop this. Now." He demands.

Ricky leaves the table, and Big Red follows behind. I scoff and roll my eyes.

********************************************
*Third-person POV*

"Was this, like, a huge mistake?" Ricky questions.

"What? Calling Bianca and Gina out like that? Yeah, that was mad harsh, dude. You owe them apologies." Big Red insists.

His best friend waves it off, "Bianca is a bitch, and we all know that. We hate each other, we don't apologize. And Gina showed up to the dance with my ex's ex. What's that about?"

"Gina showing up with EJ seemed more like a jab at Bianca, than at you. Or maybe it's not about either of you at all..." Big Red starts, before falling into a rant about people being whoever they want to be.

********************************************
*Bianca's POV*

"This isn't even danceable music." Ashlyn points out, swaying her head anyway while following me to the dance floor. "So, why are we out here?" She questions.

"Ash," I start, guilt overtaking my features, "I think I'm ruining Carlos' life."

With wide eyes, she attempts to process my words while holding her palms dismissively, taken aback, "I'm sorry?"

"Seb isn't here because he hates me, and knows that Carlos is my friend." I blurt.

She shakes her head in disagreement, "I don't think that's the reason, B."

"Then what else would it be, Ash?!" I question, "I need to just..avoid Carlos for the rest of the night. I'm just radiating terrible energy tonight."

Her eyes soften as her jaw drops, "B! I'm so proud of you for acknowledging energy." Ashlyn admires.

I smile and shrug confidently at the praise.

"But yours is definitely not terrible." She assures.

I sigh and cast a sideways glance, but before I could say anything, I noticed Gina throwing a glass of punch onto EJ's tux.

My eyes widen as shock crosses my face, "Ash!"

"I saw." She blurts, dumbfounded.

(Gina: outside)

"There is no plan, okay? I had a vague idea that Bianca would be jealous seeing me with EJ, and then... I don't know! Just get so jealous that she just quit the show or something? But no, she literally stood up for me." She scoffs in defeat.

Even though I am furious with EJ, I felt awful that Gina vented her rage on him, leaving him miserable and alone.

"Hi." I greet, approaching my ex.

"Oh, hey. You look nice." EJ casually complimented, as if his tux wasn't covered in punch.

I smile as my stomach churns with butterflies, "Thanks."

He left his gaze on me, and my eyes began to soften. As we drank each other in, I instantly forgot why I was ever mad at him.

"Do you need help?" I finally spoke, motioning to his drenched tux.

Realization dawns on EJ, huffing a laugh, "Right! I'll be right back."

I hum in acknowledgment with a smile and nod.

My heart ached and guilt took over my features as I turned my head to find Carlos and Ashlyn laughing together. All I want to do is be with them. I sigh, knowing that it is best to avoid Carlos.

Finally, EJ returned, this time without the blazer. His undershirt was still somewhat damp from the punch. We both smile.

"I was starting to think you stood me up." I tease, eyes narrowed.

EJ shakes his head, grinning, "I was cleaning up, then I put my blazer in the car." He then offers his hand out, "Wanna dance?"

I freeze, glancing down at his hand, before meeting his gaze again, "Yeah." I blurt, smiling.

Butterflies fill my stomach as he draws me in closer. I shut my eyes as he holds me close; his hand on my back, my hand on his shoulder, and our free hands together.

The romantic song soon changes to an upbeat throwback hit—we pull away. I look up, he pulls me into a kiss.

I was taken aback; I have been waiting months to feel his lips against mine again, but I did not quite melt into the kiss like I thought I would, though I kissed back, but it was hard to keep up; it was intense, like he was trying to take his anger out on me.

The spark between us was completely gone, and that scared me.

I swiftly pulled away, catching my breath from the passion of his kiss, "EJ.."

His brows furrow, masking his confusion with a smile, "What's wrong?"

I did not respond as I pushed past EJ, leaving him confused and embarrassed as well as lipstick smudged on his mouth and chin like mine. Tears escaped when I stepped out to the hall. I put my back against a locker as my breathing trembled.

Without the spark, what reason do I have to keep working on the musical? But leaving the show would mean that everything is completely over, therefore, I am still on the fence. I don't want to give up on EJ, but the lack of chemistry makes me worry that I am simply hanging on to him because I don't want to be alone. Can being in love truly overcome all obstacles? Perhaps leaving would also allow Carlos and Seb to be together.

Having settled down in the hallway, I sat on the bench outside of East High, and texted Ashlyn to inform her of my whereabouts, since I am her ride home. I did not give any details other than the fact that it was a long story—outside, long story—after placing my phone in my lap, I noticed Seb approaching.

My eyes widen as shock crosses my face, I shoot up from my seat, "Seb!"

"Oh, hi, Bianca." He shyly greets, with a kind smile as he attempts to step away.

"Wait," I blurt, standing in his way as he is now puzzled spotting the lipstick on my face, "I don't want to keep you out here for too long, because Carlos is waiting for you."

My brows furrow in judgment, shaking my head in shame as I sidestepped being polite, "Carlos is the most amazing person I have ever met. He does not deserve to be stood up!" I snap.

Seb opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"And if it bothers you that he and I are friends, then Carlos deserves so much better than someone who won't be with him because of his friends." I conclude, crossing my arms.

"Is that it?" Seb questions, tone playful.

I stood my ground and kept my guard up while holding my head high, "I don't know."

"Bianca, it wasn't because of you. I was late because something happened, we lost one of our cows. And the reception is bad at the barn, so I couldn't text Carlos."

Shock and guilt cross my face, "I'm so sorry to hear that." I blurt, completely stunned and feeling guilty.

He smiles, "Thank you. And I know how close you and Carlos are, it doesn't bother me. You're super intimidating, and I was just so awkward at auditions, so I didn't want that to be your first impression of me, and I thought that if I acted more confidently like you, then you wouldn't think I'm so awkward.."

Seb trailed off, face scrunching up as he played back his words, but I understood completely and nodded along. Though my brows raised in shock because he thinks I am confident.

"Saying it out loud, doesn't make any sense-"

"It makes sense." I assure, nodding, "I wasn't at my best either, and I'm sorry."

Guilt shadows his features, "It's okay. And I'm sorry, too, especially since I was..kind of trying to steer you away from Sharpay. I knew you would've gotten the part."

I shake my head in disagreement, squeezing his shoulder affectionately, "I forgive you. And, that's not true. You're the perfect Sharpay!"

The corners of his mouth quirk up shyly, nodding appreciatively.

"Now," My serious tone returns, "Don't keep Carlos waiting any longer. And reassure him a million times if he needs it, okay?" I press.

Seb smiles and nods quickly, "Okay. I will." He confirms, leaving to go inside. I smile with a sigh of relief.

Well, I have one less reason to quit the musical.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 838 40
"Do you even know who I am?" "Yup, I just don't care." {superstar Richard Bowen returns to his hometown for a few months, where he meets the only gir...
81.7K 2.7K 60
๐‡๐€๐“๐„๐…๐”๐‹ ๐‹๐Ž๐•๐„: "๐˜ผ๐™ฌ, ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ ๐™จ, ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ข๐™š๐™–๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™จ๐™ค ๐™ข๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ข๐™š, ๐˜พ๐™–๐™จ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ก๐™ก. ๐™‰๐™ค๐™ฌ, ๐™˜๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™—๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ค๐™›๐™š๐™จ๐™จ๏ฟฝ...
771 18 16
Cressida Kormos never really expected much to happen in her senior year, but things seemed to be looking up for three reasons: - (1) EJ got a n...
231K 5.4K 40
in which Ricky Bowen and Nini Salazar-Roberts don't like each other. no, really, they have no feelings whatsoever towards each other. but that's not...