The Hybrid [malexmale]

Door rotXinXpieces

[Book 14] Half-Atlantean, half-Greek, Hannibal is the abomination of both powerful pantheons. To make matters... Meer

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Sixteen

42.5K 2.5K 3.1K
Door rotXinXpieces

Chapter Sixteen

"You could've told me it was fucking cold down here." I seethed.

I'd finally made it down a spiraling staircase that I swore went on for eternity until I finally came to yet another wooden door and stepped through it into the most uninviting tunnel made up entirely of skulls embedded into the walls and full on skeletons with their heads bent back so black candles sat in their jaws, lighting the way down winding, twisting corpse-y hallways.

There was also an icy draft that spread up and down the halls, chilling me to the bone and giving me goosebumps that no amount of friction could get rid of. Even worse, I hadn't been given clothes with Drak. Only jewelry that I peeled off as I went along because it just made me even colder.

Lea, I am really glad I never got the chance to come here with Zetnos.

Granted, his offer was nice and all, but the place gave me the creeps. Every so often, I'd hear a soft moan in the distance or a child screaming faintly. I had been told by Xenon that the place technically shouldn't have any souls in it since they were destroyed during the destruction of Atlantis, but I was beginning to beg to differ.

Wouldn't be the first time Xenon gave me false information.

The prick.

I wasn't even sure where I was going. Arikos told me to trust my instincts, but how was I supposed to do that when I was too focused on not freezing to death? I felt like I had wandered the catacombs for hours, either smacking into dead ends or twisting and turning until I found myself looking at things that looked familiar. Then again, the whole damn place looked the same.

At least until I entered a large open chamber with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling coated in dust and cobwebs. I frowned, staring up at the finely arched ceiling and gothic architecture, then down at the middle of the room where a pedestal stood with a pale purplish orb on it. Curious, I approached it, lowering my arms to lean on the pedestal as I stared at the orb. It looked strangely familiar and I wasn't quite sure how, but the longer I stared at it, the stranger I felt.

Almost like something was trying to pull me in. I should've felt alarmed, but I couldn't really find it in me to do so. Instead, I stood there and watched everything around the orb fade until I found myself plunged back into another vision. I was staring at the same orb, and Zetnos was standing on the other side of it with a smile on his face as he placed his hand over the orb.

"This is for scrying, pasios," He explained in a calm, gentle voice, "You use it to see whatever it is you wish to see. What is it you want to see?" I stepped back and looked down to see the younger version of me jumping up and down excitedly with Lea standing behind him, shaking her head with a smile.

"I want to see bunnies!" Younger me exclaimed. I arched a brow at that, and Lea laughed. Zetnos smiled.

"Then bunnies you shall see," He answered, then came around to pick younger me up in his arms, carrying him close to the orb, "Place your hands on it, child, and close your eyes for a moment. Let your magic flow through your fingers into the orb and imagine bunnies, okay?" Younger me nodded and reached out eagerly, placing his tiny hands on the orb. The orb faded from its hazy purple color until it was completely clear, then it steadily clouded over, revealing the image of a rabbit in the center for a split second before it vanished and younger me made a noise of distress. Zetnos laughed, ruffling my hair and giving me a kiss on the temple.

"It's okay, child. You did excellent for your first time and one day, you'll be able to use it with ease." He promised. Younger me pouted.

"I want to see bunnies now." He complained. Lea and Zetnos laughed.

The vision faded out and I found myself standing back in the chamber alone, staring at the orb. I lifted my hands slowly, placing them on the scrying orb and closing my eyes, concentrating hard on the image of Akin's face. I probably shouldn't be making side trips to do this, but I was aching to see Akin again, if only for a moment. I waited a long moment before opening my eyes to see the purple fading from the orb as it swirled with a white mist around the edges of an image that slowly began to clear.

"You bastard, this is your fault!" Akin's voice broke through the haze and I blinked, caught off guard by Akin's vicious tone. The white mist swirled around an image of Akin that began to focus and clear, revealing Akin having just shoved at Hades, who appeared surprisingly calm, despite Akin's temper. Lucifer appeared in the image to stand between them, facing Akin with a stern glare.

"Akin, that's enough, Hades had nothing to do with it. Whoever took Hannibal came of their own will." Lucifer warned. Akin didn't appear to be listening. His blue eyes were bloodshot, puffy and red from crying, and even now tears were welled up in his eyes and falling down his cheeks. He looked awful and exhausted, still wearing a pair of plain black pajamas. My heart bled to see him like that and I instantly felt guilt drop heavy on my shoulders.

"If you hadn't of told Hannibal to go to Ogygia, this wouldn't have happened! You should've told me! But why am I even surprised? You never liked Hannibal and you probably saw your chance to get rid of him!" Akin shouted. Lucifer winced and put his hand out at Akin, who tried to get past him to go at Hades, who looked rather contrite. Who knew Hades had a different facial expression from that eternal scowl?

"If I wanted to get rid of the hybrid, I would've done it myself," Hades assured, not that that seemed to please Akin at all, because his glare became murderous and Hades held up his hands in surrender, "He asked and I gave. I don't think you realize the situation between him and Lea is pretty serious. He wanted answers and he wasn't getting them from Lea. Don't get me wrong; the lady has the right idea, but do you honestly think the hybrid would've listened to her?"

"He has a name, you jerk," Akin snarled, then clenched his fists, "And he would've listened to her if she hadn't of given him up or whatever the truth is! I honestly don't care! I want Hannibal back!" He broke off into a sob and covered his face with his hands. Lucifer looked agonized and took a step toward him, but Hades caught Lucifer by the shoulder to pull him back and give him a head shake. How odd that Hades knew Akin hated to be touched when he was grieving and Lucifer didn't know.

Even worse, I felt horrible. Granted, it wasn't necessarily my fault Arikos had taken me from the penthouse, but it still felt like it. Even worse, my last words had been pathetically desperate. I was reeling from what the Moirai had told me and I needed Akin there to catch me before I fell. Unfortunately, Arikos had knocked me out and taken me away before Akin could get there. It probably only took Arikos a few seconds to knock me out and teleport me.

Although, chances were he had help by then. Arikos was strong, but certainly not enough to haul my fat ass anywhere.

"Do you think someone from Ogygia came back to get him?" Lucifer asked helplessly. Hades shrugged.

"He made a face when I told him. He and Calypso probably don't get along considering she's his niece." He responded. Lucifer gave Hades a droll stare.

"I swear, all you people are related." He said. Hades scowled.

"We had a small family to begin with."

"So did we."

"Yeah, but your dad just waved his hand and you poofed out of nowhere. You're the weirdo. I actually came from a normal conception."

"I don't think sex between siblings is normal."

"Are you trying to tell me something about my sons?"

"Absolutely not."

"Shut up," Akin shouted abruptly, making both Lucifer and Hades go silent with sheepish stares, and Akin sniffled, wiping at his eyes quickly before glaring at them, "I don't care how you do it, but you will help me get Hannibal back if it's the last thing I do, do you hear me? Neither of you are allowed to sleep until Hannibal is back home and in my arms again. And until then, Hades, I don't want to fucking speak to you!" Without another word, Akin vanished from his spot, leaving the rulers to stand in the room, sharing grim stares.

"It's not your fault." Lucifer told him. Hades glared at him.

"Don't patronize me," He snapped and Lucifer sighed in frustration, watching as Hades started to pace the room, "I didn't send the hybrid... I didn't send Hannibal to Ogygia because I thought he'd be kidnapped or something. I may not like the bastard, but I like Akin's temper tantrums even less."

"Hades, he just lost his husband. It's not a temper tantrum."

"That's not the point," Hades growled, raking a hand through his hair before leaning on a nearby counter, then he paused and cocked his head, "Do you feel something?" Lucifer frowned.

"Aside from an overwhelming guilt and nausea, no. Why?" He asked. Hades stood up straight and looked around the room for a moment, making me frown. And then his eyes shifted and stared right through the orb directly at me and I stiffened. I waited to see if he'd see me watching them, but he didn't seem to know directly where I was at because his eyes continued to scan the room.

Jesus Christ, Hades, turn the bulbs off in your eyes. The way they glow like that is fucking terrifying.

"I just have this weird feeling," Hades muttered, rubbing at the back of his neck and Lucifer approached him to rest his hands on Hades's arms, and their intimate moment made my skin crawl in repugnance, "And it's not helping that I have someone else who hates me." Lucifer looked at him sympathetically.

"Akin doesn't hate you. He's just scared. People lash out when they're scared. I know you do." He offered and Hades wrinkled his nose. Lucifer smiled, leaning in to kiss Hades's shoulder and I groaned, covering my face.

Please stop doing that while I'm here. Maybe I should just leave.

"Does Lea know yet?" Lucifer asked after a moment, making me blink and drop my hand, grateful to see that the two had broken apart and faced each other. Hades made a noise of supreme disgust, wiping a hand down his face before smacking the counter behind him.

"Hell no. Do I look friggin' suicidal to you? How do you think that conversation is gonna go? Oh, hey, Lea. You know that son you waited around for, for over nine thousand years? Yeahhh, we kinda lost him. Whoopsy," Hades said in a mocking tone, then scoffed, "Absolutely not. As a parent, you should know better."

"Hell hath no fury like a mother." Lucifer muttered, withdrawing from Hades, who looked like he just wanted to crawl into a hole in die. I honestly felt a little sorry for the asshole. Akin was definitely not someone you wanted to piss off. Most people underestimated him as being helpless and sweet, but in actuality, Akin could be just as vicious and deadly as a spider. Calm and happy most of the time, and rarely angered, but when he is angered, he'd bite your head off or poison you in your sleep.

"We need to find a way to get that guy back here," Hades said at last, pushing away from the counter, "Before Lea finds out. I don't need anymore psycho bitch mothers hunting me down. Not to mention, I finally found a woman that doesn't hate my guts. I'd like it to stay that way." Lucifer shook his head at that and the image lost focus as I stepped back, grimacing.

Maybe if Hades tried to find out where I was, I could get out of here. If Xenon and the others had passed through here before, surely Hades or someone else could end up here again and take this damn collar off me... Although, it had to be Atlantean, so preferably Xenon. I wasn't sure I was ready to face Lea just yet.

I took a deep breath and looked around the chamber, more chills creeping through me. I honestly couldn't tell what was giving me goosebumps, the icy cold air or the fact that I could hear something wailing in the distance. It reminded me of that movie The Mummy with Brenden Fraser. Dark creepy catacombs with occasional hisses and moans and screams in the distance.

I took a deep breath and moved toward one of the narrower hallways branching off the chamber, trying to find something to keep me warm. It was so cold that it was getting hard to move. My breath came out in soft clouds around my face and I couldn't flex my fingers and toes anymore, and it was a miracle my balls hadn't fucking fallen off by now.

And much to my relief, a little more poking around and I found a small sparse bedroom with a single iron bed sitting in the corner with several quilts piled onto it. Without any other thought than to get warm, I shuffled over to the bed and threw the blankets back, shaking the dust off and crawling underneath of them, wrapping them around me tightly and breathing hard in relief at the warmth of the soft material on my bare skin.

I laid there for a while, breathing heavily, gaining warmth and feeling back into my toes and fingers. I scanned the room after a moment, frowning at the lack of furniture and decoration. There was only a small wooden chest in one corner, a coat rack that held a couple of outfits dangling from it, a barrel used as a nightstand with a wooden cup, a small pocket journal, and a pocket watch.

Was this Zetnos's room?

Normally, I wasn't one to pry, but after just learning this guy was a huge part of my life without my remembering it, I couldn't resist. I reached out from under the blankets, scooting closer on my elbows to pick up the pocket watch. I studied the intricate designs on the clasp, the long golden chain that jingled softly. I ran my fingers over the design of a skull, then pressed down on the top and it swung open, surprising me with the image on the inside.

A photo of Lea was sitting inside, cramped and wrinkled. It looked recent, and yet, handled so much that it was faded on the sides. Judging from the fact that it was a photo taken with a camera, it must be extremely recent. No more than a month old. He must've gotten it the moment he appeared here and saw Lea had reappeared as well.

I stared at the photo, trying to image that smile on her face directed at me, but I suddenly felt stupid for it. I wasn't used to imaging a parent's love... or used to it in reality. In reality, Lea did love me.

And it bothered me.

My thoughts, every time I started to feel a swell of hope, were always redirected towards the fact that Lea's love wasn't going to last very long when she found out what I was, the monster that took over the body of her child. She was expecting a sweet and innocent man, loving and mature. She had no idea how broken and ugly I was. Akin accepted it, but it took him a while. But would that same thing happen to Lea? Would she accept it after a while too, or would she be like everyone else who made sure to keep a good healthy distance between us? Or would she just try to stone me to death too?

I wasn't sure. The more I thought about it, the more I dreaded encountering Lea again.

I didn't want to hand her what was left of my heart and watch her crush it.

I didn't want to experience that raw agony again. I had already gotten it from Iapetus and it had taken me months to recover, maybe even years. It was so long ago, and even now thinking about it stung. Maybe I never did get over it.

You'd think I'd be used to it, getting rejections stamped on my forehead since I was... kidnapped. Yet, it didn't matter how many times it happened, how long ago, rejection hurt like a bitch and I think I'd rather staple my tongue to the wall.

Sighing heavily, I set the pocket watch down on the table and sank back below the covers to escape the cold bitter air outside. I pulled the blankets up over my head and tucked them around me, breathing in the strange scent on the blankets. Like smoke, burnt wood... a bonfire smell. It was oddly comforting and before I knew it, I was falling asleep.

Guess I can check sleeping in catacombs off my bucket list.

Not that I needed one.

Still, it'd be better if Akin were here...

I woke up some time later to the sound of voices. I frowned, confused for a moment. Why would I be hearing voices so nearby? I'd woken up to piss once in the night and heard voices in the distance, but now they sounded too close and too... real.

I opened my eyes sleepily, grimacing at what felt like a light shining in my face. I couldn't even see past the bright shine in my face.

"Well, well, well. Looks like someone found his way to Xandria." A woman's voice crooned. I scowled before my eyes widened in recognition. I gasped as I shot up out of the bed to take off, but a strong blast of power slammed me so hard into the wall that a couple of skulls fell loose and crashed down on top of me, making me hiss and kick them away frantically before jerking my head up to pin a glare on Drak and Drulius who stood beside the bed. Drulius wore a smug grin on her face while Drak glared at me in silence before he snapped his fingers.

"Come. Now." He commanded. I bared my fangs at him and rolled off the other side of the bed, dropping down on the floor. Drulius leapt for me over the bed, but I rolled partially under the bed and flung it up at them before sprinting past them as they blasted the bed away.

I scrambled out into the hallway and smashed into Zelus, who was waiting around the corner of me. He made a grab for me, but I ducked and head-butted him in the gut before turning the other way only to see Vinion blocking my path with a wicked grin on her face. A second later, her whip slashed across my chest, splitting it open for blood to pour down. I hissed at the burn of it, moving back quickly against the hallway wall to keep them within my sights.

"Do not damage my property," Drak told Vinion angrily, making her scoff, "Lest I damage your property myself." Vinion curled her lip, snapping her whip at the floor and not saying a word as she backed up. Drulius stuck her tongue out at her, making Vinion narrow her eyes menacingly. Drak ignored their exchange and approached me, inching his finger at me before pointing at the floor.

"Kneel." He ordered. Vinion and Drulius smirked, but Zelus remained stone-faced. 

"Here, kitty, kitty." Vinion teased and Drulius covered a smirk when Drak visibly tensed. I spat in his direction and his white eyes glowed menacingly. I backed up as far as I could against the wall, preparing to lash out when a high-pitched scream suddenly rang out and the siblings all yelled at once in horror. The sound scared the shit out of me too, but I wasn't gonna stick around to yell like an idiot, so I took off down the tunnel at a dead-run.

"Get him!" Vinion commanded. Not that she needed to be told twice. Everyone was after me in three seconds flat and gaining fast. I panted hard, running straight down the tunnel before veering off into another tunnel to throw them off, but they were behind me in seconds. Zelus was the first to catch me, yanking me back by a handful of my hair and throwing me to the ground. I hissed, my head colliding with the hard ground. I rolled over onto my side, breathing hard for a moment before rolling up against the wall and rebounding off it to punch Zelus square in the face.

He snarled and lunged for me, but I caught him and threw him back into a wall before taking off back down the tunnel, rounding a corner to keep running when a pair of arms grabbed me and tore me into a room, a door slammed shut behind me, but when I looked to see the door, it sucked itself into a skull's mouth and vanished.

I cursed and spun around to face my attacker, then froze at the sight of two people in the room, with the same hazy white glow that Arikos had as a ghost back at Lea's place.

The first one was taller than me, not an easy feat. The only person I met who was taller than me was Hades or Cerberus. This guy was about their height, then again, his feet weren't touching the floor. He wore a wide gold necklace, extremely ancient, and his thick blonde hair fell in heavy locks down to his shoulders, his eyes a piercing blue. He was incredibly ripped and I think Akin would happily describe this man as "lick-alicious". There was something regal and powerful about him, the kind of aura true royalty and military prowess would give off.

The second ghost was significantly smaller, with an impish face and dark hair framing an intelligent pair of blue eyes. He wore what appeared to be one of Hades's... military uniforms? Sleek and built for flexibility and the shiny glow of hydra skills indicating strength and durability.

"Who the hell are you two?" I demanded.

"Wow," The smaller one scoffed, "No thank you for saving my life and my ass? Really?" The taller one raked me with an unimpressed stare before folding his arms over his chest.

"As typical of a god." He muttered. His voice was a deep baritone with an Atlantean accent, a Northern dialect-- so it wasn't as thick and growling as mine. I glared at him.

"I have trust issues. Sue me. Who are you? Why am I here?" I demanded. The smaller one waited to see if the taller one was going to answer and when he didn't, he sighed and shrugged, holding his hand out, then pausing before withdrawing it.

"My name's Nikos," He answered with a frown, "I'd shake your hand, but I don't have the same powers Dexius has." I scowled, then looked at Dexius.

"Why does that name sound familiar?" I asked. Dexius gave me a cold stare.

"None of your business. We are not here to make friends. We are here to take you to the exit before those bastards catch up to you." I glared at him suspiciously, taking a good step away from him, making him raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah, well, you'll excuse me if I don't take your hand and jump down the rabbit hole with you." I responded icily. Nikos made a noise of frustration and Dexius actually glared at him, making him take a couple steps back. Dexius turned his gaze to me, studying me intensely for a moment.

"If you cannot trust us, then you can never return to your lover."

"How do you know about him?"

"We saw you scrying with Zetnos's orb," Dexius replied calmly, "He seems to miss you terribly. If you wish to be returned to him, then you will follow me... or stay behind and let them have you. See if I care." Nikos scowled at him, then covered his face with a hand in frustration. I debated taking him up on his suggestion, but my skin suddenly crawled with the very thought of being anywhere near Drak or Zelus. Images of being taken in the arena made me sick to my stomach.

"I'm sorry," Dexius said after a moment, making me frown as he studied me, looking annoyed and hardly apologetic, "You'll forgive me if my social skills are inadequate. It has been at least nine thousand years since I last conversed with... Well, I can't very well call you human, can I?" I noticed his occasional drop in formal speech. He was raised by royalty.

"I swear I know you from somewhere." I muttered. Dexius gave me a blank stare.

"I'm afraid I do not make it a habit of being around gods. Now, if you wish to chat like a couple of old hens, by all means find a cold dark corner and sit. If you wish to escape, then you will follow me and my... eh, hemorrhoid, to the nearest exit." He said dryly. Nikos glared at him.

"If we were still alive, I would seriously make you pay for that. You humans are incredibly snobbish."

"Aye, and you demons are uncivilized." Dexius responded flatly. Nikos made a noise of supreme disgust. I grimaced, not particularly sure I wanted to travel with these two who argued like a couple of old biddies, or "old hens". Dexius's style of speaking was really stiff and formal and it was driving me insane that I couldn't remember why he seemed so familiar. I said nothing, however, and just nodded to Dexius, who appeared relieved by my decision.

He turned to one of the walls of the small room and waved his hand out, creating a black opening from one of the skull mouths on the wall. I watched, tense as he stepped through it and Nikos looked at me and gestured me forward. Not sure I trusted anyone else to stand at my back for a while, I inched forward and kept a close eye on Nikos with my peripheral vision as I moved through the opening, then gasped as I fell forward and almost face-planted into water. A strong grip caught my arm and hauled me back. I turned to look at Dexius, who instantly let go of me and moved away.

I noticed he kept a good distance from me, and Nikos. It was like nothing disgusted him more than touch, and I would've blamed it on the fact that he seemed like a snotty prince, but something about it seemed... familiar. Even more so was the way Dexius backed away from the water quickly until he was right up against the wall and I frowned at him.

"I thought you were dead. How can you be afraid and touch me and summon portals?" I asked. Dexius glared at me.

"I am none of your business," He responded testily, "And if you do not want to drown in that pool, you will do as I say."

"Yeah, I've had about enough of doing what people say, so you can kiss my fat ass."

"I most certainly will not and you can check that attitude at the portal, asshole. I am saving your life and whatever is left of your sanity," Dexius seethed through clenched teeth, then shook his head and pointed to the pool of water, "That is your exit."

"I like swimming as much as the next fish, but from what I'm looking at, that's no exit."

"It is on the other side, fool," Dexius said angrily, which seemed to be the default emotional setting for this guy, though, that was something I could understand, "Anyway. Swim down to the bottom and follow the light. There is an exit on the other side. Climb out onto the island. Wait there until the full moon tonight. It is when the veil between this world and the others is thinnest. You should be able to walk through, teleporting to your destination, whatever that may be. The portal will read your soul, so choose carefully, or else you could once again find yourself in this delightful hovel of misery and woe."

"You know, you are just the most delightful character I've ever met." I said with enough sarcastic venom to down an elephant. Dexius glared at me furiously.

"You have no idea who I am. You have no idea what I've gone through," he paused, then raked me with a repugnant sneer, "But you're a god, so of course, you could not care less." I narrowed my eyes on him, irritated by his rant before it dawned on me and my eyes widened.

"Dexius," I said in realization, making him stiffen, "Prince Dexius of Atlantis, the Patrius Milagos Familia." Prince Dexius of Atlantis, the Heir of the Milagos Family. He was their first born son. According to rumor, he'd been tortured by the gods as punishment for hubris. They'd dumped his body in the ocean and he drowned. There after, his family had been removed from succession and his father committed suicide and his mother killed her remaining children before she threw herself off a cliff into the ocean. Rumors went around that Dexius had been having an affair with one of the virgin gods.

My stomach dropped.

Now that story sounded familiar.

Didn't... Callias have a similar incident with one of his lovers?

"You wouldn't happen to know," I paused, trying to remember Callias's Atlantean name, "Ah, Anexius, would you?" Dexius's eyes darkened and he clenched his teeth.

"Get in the fucking pool." He replied through gritted teeth. I frowned. I was curious about his reaction. He completely ignored my question, except for the slight expression change and the seething hatred. Did he hate Anexius? From what Xenon enjoyed ranting about, Anexius had tried to off his entire pantheon and killed an entire race of people for him. And yet...

It was none of my business. I made a mental note to question Xenon about it later if I was still curious.

"Right," I said after a moment, "Oh, and... Can you do me a favor?"

"I'm letting you escape when I could just hand you over. You have balls to ask me for a favor."

"I was going to ask you to pass on a message to Arikos," I said dryly, making Dexius frown, "He's the one who got me here. Tell him it's not too late for him. I will come back and I will kill Atlan and I will make sure I repay him." Dexius's eyes widened at that, but I didn't let him speak as I leapt into the pool and swam downwards, opening my eyes to stare through the water. The pool was dark for a moment, until I focused on a glow in the distance.

I frowned and swam toward it, moving quickly through the water to avoid having someone catch up to me, be it Dexius or one of the Khalian. I just wanted to get the hell out and while I was still skeptical on Dexius's portal idea once I was out of the water, I was willing to try anything at this point.

I was about halfway through the tunnel under the water when I saw something flash out the corner of my eye. I cursed inwardly.

Oh great. What now? Alligators? Or no, wait, lemme guess... one of the Khalian can turn INTO an alligator. Because why not? That'd just make my day ten times better.

Not wanting to stop and drown and float to the top where I'd wait until the next day to wake up, missing the full moon, I moved faster through the water, paddling my way closer and closer to the bright light that shone through the water like ribbons of gold piercing the turquoise background. It would've been pretty if I had the time to admire it.

Something brushed my leg and I swam harder.

Don't stop now, loser.

Either my subconscious really hated me or I needed tough love to accomplish things in life.

I swam harder and pushed off the shallow end of the pool on the either side, shooting up toward the light before I broke the surface and gulped in deep gasps of air, blinking rapidly as my eyes struggled to focus on the bright lights outside the tunnels.

I was so accustomed to the dark catacombs and the dim torch lights. The sunlight outside was blindingly bright, and made even worse when it reflected off the sparkling clear water at the top of the pool. I looked around, my vision slowly clearing to reveal that the pool was in a steep hole and the only exit from this damn hole was a short river that led to more accessible shores. Beyond the hole and river, miles of jungle and the air here felt hotter, stickier, more humid.

I sighed in frustration, but welcomed it with open arms considering how icy cold the catacombs were.

I dragged myself toward the river, moving to get to my feet in water that came to my ankles when something grabbed me from behind and threw me back into the water. I choked as it closed over my head and I thrashed in the water, gasping out loud as my head left the water and I looked up to see Drak standing over me with his eyes narrowed; Zelus, Vinion, and Drulius were standing around the water hole above, looking amused.

"I don't know how you got here," Drak started in a low tone, making me narrow my eyes as I breathed hard, "But I will ensure that you never come here again." I bared my fangs and he grabbed me by the throat, throwing me against the side of the water hole, causing pain to explode through my body before I fell back into the water. I scrambled back toward the deeper part of the pool to dive back under through the entrance, but Drak grabbed a handful of my hair and hauled me back across the water, flying through it and splashing into the shallower end.

I hissed as shells and rocks cut my palms, blood flowing into the water and turning it a light shade of pink. I seethed, drawing my hands out of the water and into fists, ready to defend myself as Drak approached me menacingly.

Until a shrill scream pierced the air, followed by Drulius's shout.

"Drak, get out of the water!" She shouted. Drak's eyes flashed and he started to move to obey her, but before he could do so, a streak of blue and green color shot out of the water and tackled Drak straight into it. My eyes widened at the sight of a scaled fish tail, about the size of my whole body, arc out in front of me, followed by a ripped masculine torso and long blonde hair. A merman launched himself out of the water, grabbed onto Drak and tore him under.

"No!" Drulius dropped her weapons and dove into the water.

"Shit," Vinion snarled, then shot Zelus a glare, "Get the hybrid. We'll deal with the mer-folk." Zelus said nothing as he watched her dive into the water after Drulius. More fish tails arced through the water, splashing and flailing, the angry snarling and thrashing of the merpeople attacking the gods in the water. I took my chance to flee, and I could feel Zelus's eyes burning into my back as I scrambled through the water and onto the shore.

I took off from there at a dead-run, breathing hard as I pumped my arms at my sides, knocking aside hanging vines and tree branches that snapped back and sliced my skin open. I had no doubt that Zelus was going to find me by tracking my blood that seemed to mark everything around me, so running and hiding was no use, and I still had to make sure that I stayed here on the island in time for the portal to fizz open and let me escape.

I paused for a second, then looked up at the tall trees overhead with their rustling green leaves and thick vines that draped over tree branches. I could hear and feel Zelus drawing nearer and nearer. I reached up, grabbed the tree branch over my head and swung myself up into the branches and darted in between the leaves, pressing myself up against the trunk.

My chest heaved with pain, blood oozing from the cuts on my palms, chest, and face. I reached up to wipe the blood from my brow, but only succeeded in smearing it across my face. I held my breath as I heard twigs snapping and a branch breaking, the roaring whoosh of air shooting through the trees and nearly knocking the branch out from under my feet. I held my breath, watching the blast of air fade and the trees falling to reveal Zelus moving over a fallen trunk.

He scanned the area, baring his fangs menacingly. His white eyes flashed with hatred and I could feel his blood lust, coaxing and crooning the beast inside me. It snarled and clawed for escape, practically demanded that I get my ass down there and rip Zelus's throat open.

Like you did to Arikos.

That word doused me like ice cold water. I swallowed hard and rubbed at my throat, pressing myself further against the tree trunk, feeling the coarse bark scrape and burn my wounds. I clenched my teeth, feeling sweat mingle and sting the cuts on my face as I watched with baited breath while Zelus moved slowly now, stalking the trees in search for me. His powers permeated the air, made it pulse and hum with his power.

He came to stand just below the branch I was standing on, and just when I thought he was going to leave, I saw the blood collecting on the tree branch below my bare feet, my eyes widening slowly in realization as the blood gathered into a thick stream and oozed over the side of the bark, filling in the tiny cracks, slowly, slowly...

It crowded together and oozed from the underside of the bark, landing right on Zelus's face.

He froze for a second, then reached up and swept the blood into his mouth with two fingers before a twisted smirk split his face and he lifted his white eyes to stare directly through the leaves and branches up at me.

I cursed and shot across the branch, just barely avoiding his next attack; a hot blast of air that shot up through the trees and straight into the sky, causing leaves to go flying and branches to crack and groan, splintering into a hundred pieces. I ran across the rest of the branch, leapt off it onto another one and caught another one over my head to swing myself up onto, before I launched myself off it and onto another.

I ran through the trees, jumping and ducking and swinging from the branches, suddenly extremely grateful that Raven and I had trained for hours and hours on end. I could hear Zelus steadily approaching from below, though, throwing up blasts of hot air that destroyed everything in its path, leaving behind a smoldering pile of splintered wood and crushed leaves.

I started to stomp down on another branch to launch myself to another one, only to have it come out from under me, sending me falling through the branches. I hissed and gasped in pain as I smashed right through thick branches and caught myself in a tangle of vines that barely caught me before my face could hit the forest floor. I panted hard, snatching at the vines to rip them away.

"Time to stop running." Zelus stated, moving from behind one of the trees. I tilted my head back to see an upside down version of Zelus stalking toward me. I bared my fangs and spat at him. He sidestepped it and cocked his head.

"I actually prefer you like this," He commented as I snatched at another vine that had coiled around my arm so tight that it was urging more blood to pour from my wounds, "You're helpless. So much for the so-called powerful hybrid." He moved toward me and I managed to yank my leg free, kicking him in the throat. He choked and stumbled back, grabbing at his throat before falling to one knee, trying to catch his breath through a closed windpipe. I tore myself down from the vines and slammed into the ground as Zelus recovered, wheezing as he drew his sword and slashed at me.

I ducked as the vines fell on top of me after being cut, and I snatched the first one I could, throwing it out so it coiled around Zelus's wrist. I yanked hard and Zelus fell foward, his sword flying through the air. I crouched and caught it, whirling around and slashing at Zelus's chest. He gasped and fell back onto the ground, scrambling through leaves and twigs.

I slashed at him again, but he fell back and rolled away, shooting to his feet and backhanding me so hard I fell back against the ground and he pinned me, sitting on my chest. I snarled and went to stab him, but he caught my wrist and snapped it.

Pain erupted sharply in my wrist and spread all the way up my arm into my shoulder, making it tingle and burn violently. I growled in pain as Zelus snatched his sword back and grabbed my other hand, bringing both of them together at the wrist. I scowled for a moment, then shouted in pain as he used his sword to pin my hands down together by ramming the sword through my palms into the dirt. Blood bubbled and pooled around my hands, soaking the forest floor.

Zelus leaned down, grabbing my jaw and tilting my head up so I was forced to face him, meeting his piercing white eyes and the deep scarred tissue of the left half of his face.

"I should torture you slowly," Zelus sneered in my face, tightening his grasp on my jaw, sinking his fingers into my skin, "I should peel the skin from your bones and feed it to the merpeople, rip your nails out one by one with nothing, but my bare hands." I tsked and spat in his face, making him snarl and bare his fangs, but it was hardly an intimidation.

"Oh, bring it on," I challenged venomously, "I can take you even with both my hands pinned down."

"Do it." Zelus dared. I smirked.

"Remember-- you asked for this." I warned, making him scowl. I swung my knee up between his legs and Zelus howled, falling back to the ground. Despite the sympathetic throb between my legs at the pain that was probably rendering him useless for a few seconds, I pulled myself up and used my teeth to slide the sword out from my hands. More pain rushed through me and I tossed the sword aside, the stench of blood permeating the air and making my fangs throb in my gums.

I lunged forward and landed on Zelus, who snarled and went to try and punch me off, but I knocked his hand away and leaned down to sink my fangs into his throat, tearing it open. He shouted and grabbed his throat to staunch the heavy flow of blood. My whole body heated with an intense desire that far surpassed that of the blood lust I felt in the main temple after Arikos's death. My vision flashed to red before I could stop to consider what I was doing and an animalistic howl tore up my throat as I tilted my head back to let it echo off the trees, then lunged back down and sank my fangs into the juicy wet throat in front of me.

The creature beneath me squirmed and thrashed, screaming words that were incoherent to me, and I snarled in its face to shut it up, but it only shouted louder. It kicked me in the stomach and sent me flying through the air and smashing into a tree trunk, splintering it so I fell into it. I recovered quickly with the adrenaline pumping through my veins and snarled, lunging for it again as it spun out of the way and rolled across the ground to snatch up a weapon.

As if that toothpick is gonna help you.

It lunged at me with a slash and I spun out of the way, clasping my hands together and bringing them down so hard on its arm that it snapped. The creature snarled in pain and dropped the sword, which I stooped low to snatch up while pinning on the balls of my feet before I swung around and sank the sword straight up into the creature's chest cavity.

The creature froze and choked, blood pouring from its mouth as it grabbed at the sword embedded inside it. It stumbled back and fell to its knees before falling back onto the ground, unmoving.

I blinked after a moment, breathing hard as I came down from the adrenaline high. My vision was hazy red and began to slowly fade back in until I found myself staring down at Zelus, who lay on the forest floor with his sword deep into his chest, blood pooling around him and his eyes closed as more blood trickled from the corners of his mouth and slid down the sides of his face. My chest tightened as I took a quick step back, watching and waiting to see if the world would end.

Wouldn't that make sense?

Zelus was connected to the Source.

And now that I thought about it, wouldn't Arikos have been connected to the Source as well?

So why wasn't the world ending?

I wanted to stay and contemplate something that couldn't be possible, but I could sense powers shifting through the trees, drawing nearer. It was only a matter of time before Drak and the others caught up and realized what I'd done.

Not wanting to stick around for that, I turned tail and took off into the trees once again.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

118K 6.3K 9
He is the god of battle. And yet, he feels powerless. He is a tired, weary soldier with a heart made of glass. He will do anything to make those arou...
349K 25.3K 26
[26] Hadrian is ready for life to change. Day to day routines and mundane tasks have overstayed their welcome. When the prickling sensation gets to b...
1M 52.2K 22
[Book 18] Starting over again can be a huge pain in the ass. Something Xiphrus completely agrees with as he attempts to settle in this new world. His...
1.1M 67.1K 26
[Book 15] Traitor to Atlantis. Cursed to a life of servitude. Currently serving a god of his least favorite pantheon. Anexius, now Callias, is on ale...