Would You Rather?

By ArealJ

Annalee Caden and her best friend, Jake, have started playing a simple, popular game called "Would you rather... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

Chapter 2

35 2 1
By ArealJ

Chapter 2

Jake threw some money on the table to cover the half-eaten food. Grabbing Annalee's hand, they hurried out to the car. 

Annalee picked up the cardboard box and started examining it, searching for directions. 

"Dammit Anna, do you see anything? We need to see how serious this is gonna get before we continue, if we even want to. Because frankly, right now I'm pretty creeped out!"

Annalee just rolled her eyes. "Stop being such a baby. It'll be ok. I've read some other Would You Rather questions before that were much worse and this one just seems to point out things that would have happened anyways. Aha!" She looked on the inside of the box's top and started reading the curly stationary.

'Would You Rather...? This is a fun game for anyone and everyone. However, be careful. These cards are very special. Choose your answer wisely, because you never know when you may have to face up to your decisions.'

"See, it's not that bad. We just have to be careful when choosing out answers. I think it'll be fun." Annalee looked at Jake, but he was staring out the windshield, looking extremely focused. "Please Jakey." Annalee poked out her bottom lip and made her eyes really big, giving him her begging face.

Annalee saw him glance at her out the corner of his eye. "Would you stop, please?" Annalee's chin started quivering as she made tears come to her eyes. "Fuck it. Fine. But when things go horribly wrong, don't blame me."

A huge smile took over Annalee's face and her eyes lit up. She threw her arms around Jake, shouting, "Thank You Thank You Thank You!"

"Yea yea. Whatever," Jake ran a hand through his short hair, making it stick up. She knew he was a sucker when she started the waterworks. Jake had no idea how she could force the tears to come but he sure wished he could control his willpower when she did it. But those tears threatening to fall got him every time. He wasn't sure how to tell the difference of when she was in control and when he had really hurt her. Not that it made a difference. Jake promised Annalee when they were younger that he would NEVER be the cause of a single tear on her face. Annalee remembered and used it to her advantage. 

"So, do you want to read another card or wait till tomorrow?" Annalee asked, a smile playing on her lips.

"Hell no. Tomorrow. I have a feeling yours will be happening tomorrow anyways so maybe we should wait."

Annalee suddenly mellowed. "Oh yea. You're right. Crap! I knew I shouldn't have shoved all those books in that stupid locker."

Jake smiled at her, "It's ok Anna. I'll be there. Do you want to stay over at my place tonight?"

Annalee nodded, "Yea, mom and dad are going out tonight and won't be back tomorrow so that sounds good."

By the time they got to Jake’s house, it was almost midnight.

"I didn't think we were out for that long. Geez, now I'm wiped. I wonder what your card is going to say tomorrow," Annalee said before yawning.

Jake scooped her up, bridal style, and carried her up the stairs to his room. "Let's not worry about that tonight. Come on. We need to go to bed."

Annalee wrapped her arms around his neck and started drifting off right in his arms. Jake kissed her forehead, waking her up. "Anna, you need to get dressed for bed. I'm going to take my shower so you can take yours in the morning."

Because they stayed with each other so often, they each had shower items in bathrooms that they shared and drawers filled with each other’s clothes. Jake slowly put Annalee on her feet. She grabbed one of his t-shirts and some under clothes before staggering to the bathroom. Jake stripped down to his boxers and climbed into bed.

A few minutes later, the bed dipped and Annalee was laying next to him. She layed her head in the crook of his neck and nuzzled her nose against him until she finally settled and went to sleep. Jake wrapped his arms around her and slowly succumbed to sleep.

***

The next morning, Jake woke up but couldn't budge. Annalee had thrown her leg and arm over him and was laying on top of him. He kissed her nose and she slowly blinked her eyes open. 

Jake smiled, "Good morning."

"Ugh, your breathe is rank," Annalee said, scrunching up her nose. 

Jake laughed, "Yours isn't much better."

Annalee jumped up and ran to the bathroom. She came out a minute later and walked back to the bed where Jake was still laying. Crawling on top of him, she pinned his arms down and put her head close to his. Smiling, she opened her mouth like a yawn and let out a huge, minty breathe. 

"Better?" She asked, laughing. Jake gave her a mischievous smile. Annalee jumped up and ran towards the door. Jake tried to jump out of the bed but the sheets were still wrapped around his legs. He fell on the floor but managed to grab one of her ankles before she made it to the door. She staggered backwards and fell on top of him. Jake pinned her to the ground. "My turn," he looked at her with an evil smirk. 

"No Jake! Please! I'm begging you!" Annalee started thrashing and kicking, turning her head back and forth. Jake took both of her wrist in one hand and used his other hand to control her head. When he had control, he copied exactly what she had done. Only, he hadn't just brushed his teeth. Jake knew what he was doing was evil but she deserved it. Annalee knew he doesn't get even. Jake always liked one upping a person.

He let out a huge breath, right in her face. Her face turned red from where she was trying to hold her breath. When she couldn't take it anymore, Annalee exhaled. "Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Awe, poor Anna banana," Jake said, with a chuckle. Annalee glared at him and he pushed himself up, laughing. "You knew it was coming. Now get dressed while I get ready." Jake reached out his hand to help her up and she took it. After he helped her up, she turned towards the drawer and pulled off his shirt. She stood there in her lacy, red underwear, trying to find some clothes for school.

"Hey, while you're looking, hand me some clothes." Annalee picked out some clothes and turned to throw them at him. Jake caught them all but laughed at her face. "Awe Anna, don't be mad!" He could see the smile she was fighting but she was master at choosing which emotions she wanted people to see. But she had the biggest hazel eyes that showed her true emotions, and right now, Jake could see they were smiling.

"Whatever," Annalee said, rolling her eyes. She went back to finding some clothes and Jake chuckled before walking into the bathroom.

***

Jake let Annalee drive this morning, but he knew it was a mistake. 

"Hey! Mother Fuc... Where did you learn how to fucking drive?!" Annalee shouted at another person that she felt had cut her off. Jake's knuckles were turning white from the force he was using to grab the emergency handle. The other driver stuck his hand out and flipped her off. Annalee stuck her hand out of the window and returned the gesture, leaving one hand on the steering wheel. This caused her to jerk on the wheel. Another driver honked their horn at her. "Shit!" She cussed before driving normal.

Finally, they were at school. Jake contemplated kissing the ground. Instead, he gave  Annalee a look and said, "I'm driving home."

Annalee sighed and gave him her keys. She knew she wouldn't win and argument against him when he had that look on his face. "Fine." As soon as they started to walk in the school, rain began to fall. All the students began to fill the hallways.

"So, are you ok? Just go to your locker when the hall is empty. I'll be right there. It's not that many books so you shouldn't get hurt. And if it doesn't fall on you then we know that we're getting all freaked out over nothing and the worm was just a coincidence," Jake said, rubbing a hand on Annalee's back.

"Yea, because everyone finds worms in their food at La Casa," Annalee rolled her eyes at him for a second time this morning. “Besides, the rain is another sign that this isn’t a coincidence. Remember, my other choice was to fall in a puddle.”

 They crept into the hallways, looking around, making sure that everyone was in class already. Jake had suggested they wait until after the tardy bell. One more tardy wouldn’t hurt. They walked up to her locker and she started to turn her combinations when suddenly, a high pitched voice screamed. "Jakey! You're here! I was waiting by your locker ALL MORNING! I was so worried when you didn't show up! Are you ok?"

Jake groaned before turning around. "Yea Lyssa, I'm fine. Why were you waiting on me?"

Lyssa adjusted her V-neck tank top to where there was a little more cleavage showing. "We have our project in home ec and I wanted to know if you wanted to come to my house after school to work on it," Lyssa gave him a smile while running her finger up and down her arm. There was a snort of laughter. Lyssa and Jake both looked at Annalee who didn't even try to cover her laugh.

"Seriously?" Annalee said, still smirking at the two. Lyssa glared at her and Jake smiled, amused. Jake turned back to Lyssa who stopped glaring at Annalee and looked back at Jake, biting her lip.

"Why don't you come to my place after school?" Jake asked her. Lyssa's eyes lit up and Annalee acted like she was gagging. Well, Jake thought she was acting but knowing Annalee, she was serious. 

Lyssa was practically jumping up and down with excitement before saying yes and swaying off. "You do know that I'm not dropping you off at your house first. You're coming to mine and sitting through that with me. I'm not staying in my house alone with her. That's how people end up raped!" Annalee just rolled her eyes at Jake's speech. It wasn't like she really had a choice. She may just cut out early. It would be funny hearing what happened after she left.

Annalee finished her combination and unlocked her locker. Slowly, she opened the door.  Annalee shielded her face, expecting a shower of books. Nothing happened. The books were all stacked haphazardly but they were secure.

"Pick up your jaw Anna." Annalee closed her mouth from where she had been staring with her jaw dropped. "So see, it was all coincidence. We can play the stupid game and not be worried."

Annalee grabbed some of her books and they walked to class.

***

At lunch, Annalee grabbed a plate and started loading it with some chicken strips and French fries. Jake was right behind her, grabbing the same meal. They sat down at a table with Sandy and Greg. Sandy winked at Annalee, making her laugh. "So, I heard two people were late to first period." She started wiggling her eyebrows, making everyone laugh. 

Jake put his arm around Annalee's shoulders. "Yes Sandy, we were making sweet love in the teacher's lounge."

Sandy practically squealed. Annalee looked at her like she was an idiot. "He's shitting you."

This brought Sandy back to Earth. "Did you really believe him?" Annalee asked incredibly.

"A girl can hope," Sandy looked dejected.

Annalee just rolled her eyes at her friend. “Hey, have any of ya’ll seen that Shane guy? I had never seen him before yesterday and I didn’t see him any today.”

Jake shook his head while Greg gave her a confused look. “Hey Sandy, isn’t Sha-“

“I think he’s new,” Sandy said, cutting Greg off and giving him a kick under the table. “I guess he’s just not here today.”

Annalee shrugged off her friends weirdness and started daydreaming about the new kid.

***

Finally, school was over and Annalee made her way to her locker, her arms full of books. Jake was already leaned against the lockers, waiting for her. Annalee turned her combination and slung open her locker before Jake could stop her. A mountain of books fell on her. She looked up from where she was laying on the ground at Jake's sheepish face.

"I used your locker for my books. Sorry, I meant to tell you." Jake reached down to help her up.

They picked the books up and put them all back neatly. Annalee looked at Jake with a hint of fear in her eyes. "You know what this means, don't you?"

Jake just nodded. "Yea, I know."

"You still wanna play?" Jake nodded. "Actually, yea. Now I'm kinda curious."

***

Jake and Annalee walked out to the school's parking lot together. As soon as they reached Annalee's car, there was a loud squeal.

"Ahhh! Jakey, aren't you bringing me to your place?"

Jake mumbled something under his breath that sounded like a swear but Annalee wasn't sure. They both turned around as Lyssa came running up to them. She looked down at their joined hands scowling. Jake tightened his hold on Anna and nodded.

"Yea Lyssa, you can ride with us."

Lyssa's scowl grew deeper. "Us?" She said it as if it were a nasty word.

Jake frowned back at her. "Yes, us. I ride with Anna. If that bothers you, you don't have to come."

Lyssa looked as if she was ready to pout and beg before realizing that it would be a waste of effort. Everyone knew how close the two were and Jake would never choose someone over Annalee. Oh well, a girl could dream. She plastered on a huge smile and walked with them towards the car.

Jake shot Annalee a look, apologizing. Annalee gave him a hard glare before shrugging. It's not as if he was particularly enjoying Lyssa tagging along. They would just have to wait until later to read another card. 

Lyssa walked around and pulled open the door to get in the passenger seat. Before she could get around the open door to sit, Annalee squeezed past her and sat down. Lyssa stood there, scowling and staring at Annalee. 

"Really darlin, we're wasting precious time. You should just get in the car," Annalee gave a fake smile. "Oh, and thanks for opening my door. I guess chivalry isn't dead."

Lyssa stuck her nose in the air and let out a frustrated shriek while Annalee chuckled. After Lyssa slammed the door and went to get in the back seat, Jake turned to Annalee. "Anna banana, that's not nice." He didn't even try to hide the grin on his face.

They headed to Jake's house while Lyssa whined the entire way, complaining about the music they were playing. Neither Annalee nor Jake enjoyed listening to bubblegum pop and today they were in an 80's mood. The radio was blasting with Rick Springfield and Pat Benetar. The more Lyssa whined, the louder Annalee turned the radio. Eventually, Lyssa quit complaining and they arrived at Jake's.

They walked to the door and Jake pointed to the kitchen. "Everything we need is in there, Lyssa. Just go on and get things ready. I need to have a word with Annalee."

Lyssa flipped her red hair over her shoulder and pouted towards the kitchen. She gave a quick glance behind her and batted her eyelashes. "Don't take too long Jakey."

Annalee rolled her eyes while Jake pulled her into the living room. "Ouch Jake!" Annalee exclaimed, pulling her arm to her. "Don't take my fucking arm off."

"Sorry. Look, don't leave! I'm serious. I would prefer you in the kitchen with us but atleast sit in here and watch a movie. So if I need you, you can come running. Please!"

If Jake didn't look so desperate begging her, Annalee would have left the moment he walked into the kitchen. Instead, she pulled out "House Bunny" from the DVD cabinet. "You're lucky this is my favorite movie and I'm in the mood to watch it."

Jake gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Whatever you say sweetheart. Thank you." He gave her a quick hug before walking into the kitchen with Lyssa.

***

Jake had managed to get Lyssa to stop eye raping him and fondling him for 30 minutes so they could work on their project. They had to cook 20 chocolate cupcakes with homemade icing for school tomorrow. Annalee had walked in a few times for different reasons. Jake knew she was just checking to make sure he didn't need any help with Lyssa. 

After Annalee had came for a second bag of popcorn, Lyssa made a comment about all the butter and carbs she was consuming, which wasn't an unusual comment coming from her. However, the next statement caught Jake by surprise. 

"You're in love with her aren't you?" Lyssa asked him.

Jake stood there, staring at her with his mouth open wide before he finally managed to answer.

"She's my best friend," was his only reply.

Lyssa turned to look at him. "So? There are tons of couples who start off as best friends and fall in love. Didn't you ever watch ‘Just Friends’?"

"I love her but not in that sense. You wouldn't understand." Jake turned back to the cupcake batter. "Now help me pour these cupcakes."

***

Once they were done and Lyssa left, Jake went to go watch TV with Annalee. His mind drifted to Lyssa's question from earlier. Annalee was like his sister, his twin, his other half. He was completely in love with their friendship and how he felt about himself when with her. But that was all. There were no underlying romantic feelings. He had seen Annalee almost completely naked. She was beautiful, no doubt. Possibly the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Her personality was untouchable. Every girl he had ever been with were compared to Annalee. A romantic relationship would be out of the question.

Well, maybe. Would it really be that bad? Jake shook the thought from his head. Ofcourse it would be. How silly of him. For the first time, he noticed Annalee sitting on the couch, all color drained from her face. She was holding the box of cards and had one card in particular in her hand. 

"Anna? What's wrong?" Jake rushed to her side on the couch.

Annalee finally broke her stare. "I went to your room to get the cards. I had gotten curious and wanted to see what other questions we would have. I picked up the next card but it was blank. I checked the rest of the cards and they were all blank too. I was studying this one, trying to figure out what was going on when you walked in. All of a sudden, words appeared."

"We must have to both be in the room for the questions to come up. Maybe the game has rules," Jake picked up the box and started looking all over it. He finally found the rules on the bottom. He looked up to tell Annalee but she was still staring at the card. "Anna, what does the card say?"

"I- I don't want to ask it."

"Anna, read me the card," Jake's stern voice made Anna look at him. She took a deep breath and read the card.

"Would you rather- be deaf or blind?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...