The Garden [G.BLYTHE]

By strawbadoobee

GILBERT BLYTHE X FEM .OC sometimes you have to learn to accept "It's Aurelie, thank you very much. Pronounce... More

[00] AURELIE THOMPSON
[ACT ONE; LOSS
[02] FIERY TEMPER
[03] R-I-V-E-T-I-N-G
[04] THE PETUNIA AND THE IRIS
[05] PUNISHER
[06] MISSABLE
[ACT TWO; DISTANCING
[07] NICE FOR A CHANGE
[08] INDEFINITELY
[09] SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
[10] THE ONE THING YOU DON'T HAVE
[11] TRINIDADIAN FLOWERS
[12] OPPOSITE ENDS, OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS
[13] RUNAWAY BRIDE
[14] ABLOOM, THORNY
[15] WATCHING WATER SLIP OFF FLOWERS
[16] THE MISS STACY TROUPE
[ACT THREE; DECISIONS
[17] BUTTERCUP
[18] MATCHMAKERS OF AVONLEA
[19] SHORT MOMENT OF HAPPINESS
[20] I DO LOVE A TRAIN
[21] SETTLE ON SILENCE
[22] STARING CONTEST
[23] HE LOVES ME
[24] HE LOVES ME NOT
[25] STUPID AND CARELESS
[26] T-E-A-M
[27] JUST ONE THING
[28] I LOVE HIM
[29] DISTRACTIONS AND DISASTERS
[30] A WISH FULFILLED
WHAT IF...?

[01] WOODEN FENCE

7.8K 232 105
By strawbadoobee

'don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form'

Aurelie studied the beautiful flowers as she walked through the fields, holding her books in her hands. They were quite heavy and she wished for a sack, were she to have one.

She wore a blue dress that stopped at her knees. Her hair was in a half ponytail, tied back by a ribbon. She grazed her fingers across the tall plants. Her brown eyes sparkled in the sun that was very prominent that early morning. She picked a few flowers off the ground and held them along with her books.

"Roses; woody perennial flowering plant of the genus Rosa, in the family Rosaceae, or the flower it bears." She mumbled to herself. "Peonies; a flowering plant in the genus Paeonia, the only genus in the family Paeoniaceae." She picked up another flower.

"Poppies...Irises...Dahlias..."

Oh how she would love to be named after a flower. Something about those names sounded so majestic, so elegant. Lily, Rose, Violet, Dahlia, Iris, Poppy. Aurelie loved to imagine herself with these names.

She reached a fence, which she hopped over without hesitation. "Foxgloves...Digitalis... a genus of about 20 species of herb—" All of a sudden, she noticed that she was not careful enough while hopping over the fence. Her dress got caught in one of the spikes. She flipped over the fence, tearing the bottom skirt of her dress and landing on her back. She groaned, clutching the flowers in her hand in pain.

"You know... this fence has a gate."

Aurelie looked upwards, still lying on the ground. Standing by her, was a curly haired boy. He appeared upside down to her as he stood at the end of her hair. He smiled slightly down at the girl.

Aurelie quickly sat up, staring at her destroyed dress. She sighed. Ignoring the boy, she stood up, pushing past him and continuing on her way as if nothing had happened.

However, the boy followed after her. "Miss? Do I know you? You seem familiar." He wondered. Once again, Aurelie ignored him. She had no interest in speaking to the boy. She had already made enough a fool of herself.

"Hello? What's your name?" He continued on. Aurelie sighed to herself. She picked up her pace, but this still didn't stop him. The boy was extremely determined.

"Are you okay? That seemed like a pretty nasty fall." The boy worried. He noticed the destroyed flowers in Aurelie's hands. He chose not to speak on that matter. He simply wondered to himself about it.

"Do you speak at all?" He spoke once again just as they reached the doors to the school. He stepped in front of the door, blocking her way in. Aurelie paused for a moment, then took in a deep breath.

"Oh! I know now! You're that Aurelie Thompson who's house burned down a few months ago. I helped put it back together." Gilbert remembered with a smile. However, he pronounced the name incorrectly, as many seemed to do. Aurelie looked at him in annoyance, a hint of disgust prominent on her face as well as the boy brought up her house.

"It's Aurelie Thompson, thank you very much. It's pronounced Ora-ly. Not Ora-Lee." Aurelie finally spoke, causing the boy to raise his eyebrows.

 "Now, would you kindly let me pass through?" The girl requested in frustration.

"Oh- uh.. yeah. Here." Gilbert opened the door, allowing her to go inside. She didn't bother thanking him on her way in.

Once she stepped inside, she was instantly lost. Aurelie had never attended an actual school before. However, after her father died in the fire, there was no one left to teach her. She was terrified, though she didn't want to show it. The kids crowded around each other, shouting about whatever they were excited about.

Gilbert stepped up beside the girl. "You leave your coat over there." He pointed at a hook. Aurelie clenched her jaw, turning to look at the boy.

"By the way, I'm—"

"Gilbert!" A group of boys exclaimed, welcoming the boy into their gathering. Aurelie payed no attention to this, and instead placed her coat on the hanger and found an empty seat. She took out her sketchbook, and placed the flowers she had picked inside the pages.

"Hello, there!"

She looked up. In front of her, stood an ecstatic red headed girl who's hair was done in braids. Aurelie took notice of the girl's numerous freckles.

"Are you new? I'm new here as well. Just arrived here yesterday." The girl chuckled excitedly. Aurelie stared ahead at her in confusion. "I think we can be amazing friends. I'm Anne, what's your name?" The redhead exclaimed.

"Aurelie." Aurelie responded quietly. 

"Oh, wow.. what a beautiful name." Anne marveled. "It's so.. imaginative, so elegant. I'm just plain Anne. Oh, and make sure it's spelled with an E. It does add more to it, does it not?" Anne grinned.

"Aurelie..." Anne marveled. "I love the name Cordelia. I've always wanted to be a Cordelia. Are there any names you just simply adore?" She wondered.

Aurelie still did not respond, as Anne was still not done speaking. 

"Aurelie sounds like a Princess dressed in a golden robe running away from royalty to live a normal life among others. She is conflicted on which life to choose, but she has fallen in love with a plain man who works at a bakery.." Anne imagined.

Suddenly, a tall, blonde girl with piercing blue eyes stepped up to Anne. 

"Oh.. Josie. This is Aurelie. Isn't that such a beautiful name?" Anne smiled. 

"Anne, we must not speak to her." Josie whispered, grabbing Anne's arm.

"What? Why not?" Anne furrowed her eyebrows, frowning. 

"Are you stupid? You know how Ruby feels about Gilbert Blythe. We do not associate with anyone who tries to come in between them." Josie explained angrily, pulling Anne off towards a group of girls.

Aurelie watched them leave in confusion. She hadn't really been listening all that much when Anne came up earlier, so she was already lost by the time the blonde Josie arrived. It didn't take long for Josie to come back.

"You're pretty." Josie stated through her teeth. 

"Thanks.." Mumbled Aurelie.

"Just so you are aware, Ruby my friend, over there..." The blonde pointed over to a crying dirty blonde girl surrounded by her friends. "She has dibs on Gilbert Blythe. So you... better back off." She stated in a threatening tone.

Once Josie noticed Aurelie's silence, she scoffed, crossing her arms. "Do you understand?" She raised her eyebrows. Aurelie clenched her jaw, turning to look at Gilbert, who was still surrounded by his friends.

"I have no interest in Gilbert Blythe, and I have no interest in you." Aurelie finally spoke, though silently. Josie scoffed. She spun around, her long hair flipping to the side as she did.

"Everybody, take your seats." Mr. Phillips ordered. Everyone did as he said. The man paced the room. "Open your readers to page 32." He instructed.

Nobody ended up sitting beside Aurelie, as there was an odd number of girls. However, Aurelie could not help but notice the constant staring on the boys' side of the room towards her.

"We will read aloud Barry Cornwall's poem, 'The Fisherman'" Explained Mr. Phillips. "Diana Barry, stand and begin."

Diana hesitantly stood up, and began reading slowly. "A per-i-lous life and sad as life may be, Hath the line fisher on the lonely sea—"

"Perilous, indeed. Sit down." Mr. Phillips interrupted. Diana sighed, taking her seat in silence. "New girl. Up. Continue." Mr. Phillips looked to Anne. Aurelie had almost thought he was addressing her, but was relieved when she knew he had meant it for Anne.

Anne stood up with excitement. She began to read loudly and effervescently. "O'er and ye wild waters laboring far from home. For some bleak pittance e'er compelled to roam. Few hearts to cheer him through his dangerous life and none to air him in the story strife.." Anne recited dramatically. "Companion of the sea and silent air. The lonely fisher thus must ever fare...without the comfort, hope, with scarce a friend, he looks through life and only sees its end."

Suddenly, the class burst into laughter once Anne was finished reading, more accurately, performing. 

"Sit down!" Shouted Mr. Phillips. "Sweet merciful lord." He mumbled to himself.

"Josie Pye. Read Campbell's Pleasures of Hope, 'The Downfall of Poland.'" Mr. Phillips glanced at the blonde sitting behind Anne. Josie stood and began to read.

"Oh! Sacred Truth! Thy triumph ceased awhile..."

****

At lunch, Aurelie sat by the small pond, staring down at the reflection of the clouds. Suddenly, another reflection appeared. Gilbert's.

She was startled for a moment, but then huffed when she noticed it was him. "You can't just stroll up to people without warning." She scoffed, looking away from him.

"Well, I just did, didn't I?" Gilbert smiled foolishly. Aurelie rolled her eyes.

"I, uh, thought you might like to try one." He offered her an apple. "They're from our orchard. They're real sweet."

Aurelie looked past him at the girls staring at them through the window. Josie Pye had a threatening glare. 

"Leave me alone." Aurelie mumbled.

"I beg your pardon?" Gilbert furrowed his eyebrows. 

"I don't want an apple. Just go. I'm trying to think." She complained.

"About?" Gilbert took a seat beside her. 

"Why you're still here." She looked to him with an angry expression. 

"I don't know." Gilbert shrugged. "Sleep on it."

She huffed, picking a flower from the grass beside her and studying it, distracting herself from his presence.

"You like flowers?" He inquired. Aurelie didn't respond. 

"You really don't talk all that much, do you?" He added in disappointment. 

"Not when I don't want to." She muttered. "Just so you know, there is a group of girls staring at you through a window right now, so maybe you should go bother them."

"I'll go if you take the apple." Gilbert urged. 

"Go away." Aurelie refused. Gilbert smiled innocently, standing up, and making his way off.

A few minutes later, Aurelie stood up to go back inside. On her way, she bumped into a boy who was about her height, though slightly taller. At first, she assumed it was Gilbert based on the amount of times they had encountered each other that day.

"Watch it!" She shouted. She was already frustrated by the boy and could not hold in her anger any longer. 

"Sorry!" The boy responded. His voice was not as deep as Gilbert's which confused her. She looked up towards him, noticing a rounder face staring at her.

"Oh— sorry. I thought you were..." She looked off to the side at Gilbert, who was speaking with Charlie Sloan not too far away.

"That's okay." The boy smiled cheerfully. "I'm Moody." He introduced. "I don't mean the word. It's my name." He clarified.

"Aurelie." Aurelie nodded.

 "I like your flowers." He commented, pointing at the ones in her hand.

 "Thanks. They're—" Aurelie was interrupted.

"Asters." Moody spoke. "I mean— I think they are. I'm not the flower expert, but I do know quite a bit." He stated proudly. Aurelie smiled softly.

"Hey, wait, aren't you the girl who's house burned down?" He realized. Suddenly, her smile fell. "Yeah." She confirmed.

"Are you okay now? I'm sorry about your father... he wrote some pretty good books." Moody frowned. 

"I'm.. I'm alright. Thanks." Aurelie attempted to walk past him, but he stepped in front of her.

"I'm really sorry. You haven't really talked to that many people. Do you have any friends?" He inquired. 

"Not really." Aurelie responded honestly.

"Well, uh.. we can be friends.. if you want." He suggested anxiously. Aurelie paused for a moment. "Sure." She sighed.

After lunch, everyone returned back to their seats. Once again, Aurelie sat alone. Everyone copied down what Mr. Phillips was writing on the board.

Suddenly, a paper was thrown at her. She knew that it came from Gilbert, so she chose to ignore it. There was now a piece of chalk thrown. She clenched her jaw to avoid lashing out.

Slowly, Gilbert stood up, setting the apple down on the desk. "Whoops." He whispered. Aurelie looked him in the eye. She squinted. They maintained eye contact for a few more seconds, waiting to see who would break first.

"Go." She mumbled. Gilbert looked down to her desk, taking back the piece of chalk he threw earlier. He smirked, and returned to his seat.

****

After school, Aurelie began her walk back home. Unsurprisingly, Gilbert followed after her. "Would you stop following me?" She complained.

"This is my way home." Gilbert responded calmly. Aurelie sighed, turning away once more.

 "Did you like the apple?" He inquired.

"I'm allergic to apples." Aurelie responded. 

 "Oh..." Gilbert pursed his lips. "Whoops." He chuckled. 

"Hilarious. You tried to kill me." Aurelie scoffed.

"It was an honest mistake." Gilbert defended. Aurelie ignored his comment. 

"I'm sorry about your father." He stated out of the blue.

"Wow. Just great. Lightening up the mood already." Aurelie remarked sarcastically.

 "Sorry. You're right." Gilbert went silent.

Aurelie was intrigued by his silence. He seemed disappointed. "I don't understand what you expect me to say." She sighed.

"I don't know. Maybe, make some friends." Gilbert suggested.

"I have made a friend." Aurelie argued. "Moody." She stated. Gilbert nodded slowly. "That's good." He commented. 

"Are you going to leave me alone, now?" Wondered Aurelie.

"Can't make any promises, Aurelie." He purposely mispronounced her name in the way she had corrected it earlier, before taking a different turn past the fence that she had hopped over in the morning.

"It's Aurelie! (Ora-Ly)" She shouted as he walked away.

When she arrived home, her mother was just returning from the flower shop. "Aura! How was your first day?" She asked cheerfully.

"It was okay. I made a friend." Aurelie stated. This was a new thing to Aurelie. Her only friend used to be her father. They would spend almost every minute of the day together. She never had a friend her age.

"That's wonderful. I'm glad." Alice grinned at her daughter. "Can you help me out with dinner tonight?" Requested the woman.

 "Always!" Aurelie replied as she entered the house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

312K 9.6K 31
Book One in 'The Twisted Series' Isabella, Group A, Subject A77, The Original a sixteen year old girl who was thrown into the glade to help the tria...
507K 16.6K 31
❝ there was a difference between living and existing, and for the first time, phoebe felt like she was living. and wasn't that a marvellous thing?❞ [...
1.4M 57.4K 54
In which Kate Hopper tries to fall out of love with her best friend.
114K 734 8
នេះជារឿងក្ដៅខ្លួនទី2របស់admin admin ចូលចិត្តសរសេរត្រង់ៗ😗🔞មិនពេញចិត្តរំលងចេញណ៎៎ា✌