The Bad Batch: Unlikely Ally...

By ForeverDirectioner73

The Clone Wars has ended. The Empire has risen. The rebels are gathering their forces, trying to stop the ris... More

Introduction - Meet Shadow
Chapter 1 : Then
Chapter 3: Meet-Up
Chapter 4: Mission Briefing
Chapter 5: Pit Stop
Chapter 6: Arrival
Chapter 7: Cornered
Chapter 8 : Imprisoned
Chapter 9: Escape
Chapter 10 : Home Again
Chapter 11: Meeting the Parents
Chapter 12: Oga's New Deal
Chapter 13: Heigh-Ho, Off to Work They Go
Chapter 14: Intruder
Chapter 15: A Time to Recover
Chapter 16: Round Two
Chapter 17: Betrayal

Chapter 2 : Now

851 17 36
By ForeverDirectioner73

Six Years Later
__________________

Batuu: Black Spire Outpost
_______________________________

Kira's eyes fluttered open as she heard a loud, whooping cheer. Someone won a bet at darts no doubt. Why be so rude when she was trying to nap? She should know better than that. Oga's Cantina was anything but quiet.

Kira pushed her drink away. Too much alcohol made her drowsy. Oga made her specialties lighter than average for Kira but sometimes it was still too much. Kira wasn't much of a drinker anyway; she didn't care for the way it fogged her mind. She liked to always be ready in case she had to fight. But once in a while, she did like a bit of Bespin Fizz or Jet Juice. The snack bits weren't bad to munch on either.

Oga was rather kind to her and she wasn't kind to many. Kira won her good side over right from the start. She helped...eliminate all the debts Oga owed. By all the favors she did for that alien, Kira had a long time ahead of good food and drinks whenever she wanted it. A promising future for someone like her.

Oga sort of ran Black Spire Outpost, or hired enough hands so she could. She was indeed someone you listened to or you disappeared. Kira knew people like her as that's pretty much who she grew up with. They were sort of using each other but she can proudly say she's the only one around that can call her Auntie Oga and not get shot. So maybe their relationship was a bit more than just business, or Kira liked to think so.

Kira got up from her booth, looking over at some patrons dancing in front of the beloved droid, DJ R3X. Technically a former pilot droid from the famed Star Tours, a planet sight-seeing tours that ran galaxy-wide, but it was reprogrammed to work here. It didn't seem to mind it either, as it danced to the music it mixed and broadcasted into the room. Not that it could think otherwise due to the programming.

The place had a nice atmosphere. The bartenders were friendly and flirty in the center ring bar, R3X took the north end, and the rest of the darker, circular establishment was full of booths and stand up tables. You could eat and drink heartily in here, as long as you paid up. No one was stupid enough to cry poor in here. Not at Oga's Cantina.

Kira passed most of the patrons and looked off towards a holographic projection coming from a datpad attached to the stone wall. Most bounty hunters, like herself, were able to find a face on the list that was worth a good hunt. So far the offerings have have running a bit dry. The Empire has "cracked down" on criminals, but Kira knew better. Probably hiring them behind closed doors to do their dirty work.

The bounty hunter life indeed called her. It sort of just happened. She started out with doing favors for Oga and word soon spread. She started to make a name for herself and started doing jobs for more and more people. Now she was known around here as a proper hunter, whether it was for bounties or shady jobs. Shadow didn't turn it down, as long as there was good pay. She was learning quickly what it meant to work and earn credits, since the Inquisitors always provided everything for her. Life was hard but she was thankfully good at adjusting and evolving to the times.

Shadow stood between a few other bounty hunters, looking at the rotating options on the holographic list. So many weren't even worth their time. Either too cheap or too much effort. At least her face never rotated through here. Not that anyone really knew what she looked like. She was good at concealing herself.

The Empire did touch down shortly after she arrived here. They didn't seem to be searching for her, more so like exploring their options about perhaps taking another planet over. And no Inquisitor never returned, or at least she never saw any. She wondered what happened to the Grand Inquisitor. He technically failed at keeping her there...hopefully he was dead. It was better off that way.

Now the Empire was here or there. They sometimes patrolled the streets but mostly just collected taxes or monitored space travel. She didn't know what they were waiting for. They could take over at any given time. Maybe they didn't see a need or perhaps Oga was feeding them enough credits to keep them from disturbing her special domain too much.

Shadow sighed, the electronic sound recognizable in her helmet. Yes, she still wore her helmet from her Inquisitor past. The rest of of her uniform was altered a bit. Added a red streak along the black material, as if showing she wasn't afraid to draw blood. She also let a little more skin show now to show she's evolved from her old life, but not fully let it go. Her midsection, for start, was bare, and also her upper arms. She wasn't trying to be sexy, but it seemed to come rather naturally. She stayed in shape and black was slimming.

She reached down and patted the lightsabers on her hips. Oh yes, she has two now. That second crystal and some spare parts from Savi's Workshop around the corner came in handy. The Inquisitors didn't want her to wield a twin blade and she technically wasn't...just a second weapon altogether. She's trained herself too, since no one was around to do that anymore. Using her past skill and her strong connection to the Force, it proved difficult and challenging. Definitely took getting used to but she was adjusting.

Kira glanced around and saw some eyes on her. Most were either drunk men with suggestive smirks or new visitors with curious eyes. The locals knew who she was. She was the "Shadow" of the night and would have you disappear without question. But respect her, and you could walk away with your life. Beautiful and deadly, a rose with sharp thorns. It's how she wanted everyone to see her. She kept to herself mostly but she could definitely hurt you.

Her identity stayed secret. Kaiden and Rose had played true to their word. She still lived with them in that old hotel room. She's fixed it up some and added her own personal touch. She could have left years ago but...she found she couldn't. First, she had nowhere to go, but mostly the Twi'leks grew rather fond of her and she found herself reciprocating those feelings. To be clear, she might as well be considered their adopted daughter. For once she had what felt like a real family that cared about her, so why leave it behind? As long as Oga kept feeding her jobs, she could afford to stay here.

"Third day in a row and there has been nothing fresh on the market," a Duros muttered beside her. With blue skin, red eyes, and a heavy accent, he could easily be mistaken for a Chiss. He tilted his wide brimmed hat back to see the hologram better, not that the offers changed. "This Empire can't possibly be this good at patrolling the underworld."

"They're not, Cad," Kira muttered, getting annoyed at seeing nothing new and about ready to leave. "If anything, the bounty options should rise because of the opposition to their rule."

"Between you and me, little lady, this opposition might have no chance to make it to this board," Cad Bane replied, shaking his head and shifting his weight on his leather boots with impatience.

Cad Bane was far more seasoned than her, as he's been hunting long before the Empire existed. Still, she had the Force. In a way, since he's survived encounters with Jedi, he didn't need it to be compared to her. He could make it just fine on his own. In truth, she had respect for him, and that didn't come easy. His view of her probably wasn't nearly the same. She pretty much assumed he tolerated her and that was it.

Kira rolled her eyes at the insult. "When are you ever going to see me as more than that teen that landed here?"

"When you stop acting like it," he pointed out sharply. "You've got a lot of growing to do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She rested her hand on her lightsaber. "Maybe its time you retired, old man."

He laughed, but in a condescending way. "Ever hear about having respect for your elders? Perhaps someone needs to teach you a lesson on when to keep your mouth shut."

"No one silences me."

"I may become the first."

Kira whipped one of her lightsabers out and held it close to  his neck. "You won't be doing much without a head."

He smirked back. "You won't be doing much with a hole in your chest." He gestured for her to look down and she noticed he had his blaster drawn and inches from her chest. Damn. A stalemate. She wasn't moving until he did and it seemed that he had the same ideology.

"Shadow! Bane!" Deja yelled, seeing them from behind the bar. That woman let nothing slide here. Oga hired a good one for eyes and ears. She was less of a flirt and more keeping the crowd in check. "You got a problem, you take it outside. That's the rules. No one makes a mess in Oga's Cantina. Shadow, she wants you in her office. Now!"

Kira groaned at being called out that way. Cad started it, but by the smirk on his face, he saw this as a win anyway. "Better not keep your auntie waiting, little lady."

She growled softly and stepped back, extinguishing her weapon and returning it to her hip. Cad spun his blaster in his fingers then returned it to its holster. Of course he had to look cooler than her. She walked away with a huff, while she still had some dignity left.

Kira glanced at Deja, though it was more of a concealed glare, and headed towards the back of the cantina. A Wookiee was standing by the hidden door, no doubt Oga's new boyfriend. She had a thing for Wookiees, despite being Bluetopian. How the hell that made a match was beyond Shadow's extension of caring.

The Wookiee snarled at her but she didn't flinch. "Move aside, you walking carpet. Oga called for me. She knows who I am. Take it up with Deja if you weren't informed."

The Wookiee growled again then stepped aside. Kira passed through quickly, just missing a swipe of sharp claws and a mean roar of warning. She couldn't retaliate, not if she wanted to finish her walk down here in one piece. Oga would personally gut her if a single hair was harmed on his body.

Kira continued down the dark corridor, carved out of stone like the rest of the establishment. Some lights were hung on the ceiling, casting an eerie glow and making the wall dance with her passing shadows. Shadow is making a shadow, hehe...

"Focus," she softly reminded herself to ensure she stayed in battle ready mode. The lights did look out of place though. To have electricity in a dark cave was just...odd. Torches would be more appealing but eh, not her business.

She passed by a small group of thugs playing sabaac. They eyed her and of course made ridiculous, dirty comments but she just kept walking. So many men, even the aliens not just the humans, wanted a piece of her. She didn't know why. She's never flirted with anyone here and she kept to herself. What was the attraction? There were plenty of hook-up options that hung around outside the cantina. Not inside though. That meant you'd have to give a portion of your wages to Oga.

At the end of the corridor was a room with an actual door and furnished interior. This was Oga's office. She kept it nice for herself and the very few that saw her. No one really did. Oga liked to have her ruffians do her bidding and she merely oversaw it. Most who saw Oga, died at Oga's hands. Kira saw her sharing some relativity for that reason, as she didn't let anyone see her face either without death rolling around the corner.

The Bluetopian was yelling at some skinny Weequay when Kira entered the room. She threw a bottle of alcohol at him, which left the alien running out as fast as he could. Kira stepped aside and let him pass, staying there as Oga raised her blaster and fired a shot into the dark corridor. A body could heard slumping to the ground and soon after dragged away.

Kira waited for Oga to holster her blaster and finish going on about the Weequay in Huttese. Kira didn't speak that but she added a translator in her helmet. Better than relying on a droid. She didn't trust words weren't swapped around on either side.

Oga sat back down in her chair behind the desk and sighed, the tentacles on her face blowing out for a moment. The words rang out in Huttese but changed into Basic in Kira's helmet. Best purchase ever. "<Can't get good help these days. I'm sick of Hondo sending crewmembers over that are nearly as useless as him. He's lucky that he's never around or I'd rip his scaly skin right off his body and make a good jerky out of it. Ever had jerky?>"

Hondo Ohnaka was a popular name in the area. Formerly a pirate, or so he claims, he's trying to "retire" an start up his own shipping company. Just a proper excuse for smuggling the actual goods he wanted to get through into the planet. Also a common ship lender around here, as long as you gave a huge chunk of your profit over. The ships weren't exactly top-rated but...they usually did their job. Or they just blew up.

Kira was lucky her scowling face was concealed over the jerky comment. Her voice came out translated into Huttese through the helmet. "Not from a Weequay. I didn't think that was possible."

"<Any meat can make a good jerky>," Oga laughed, her voice rough around the edges. "<Now, how's my favorite worker bee?>" That was a common nickname for Kira from Oga. Maybe chastising, she wasn't sure. "<Black Spire Outpost treating you nicely, yes>?"

"Of course," Kira said and it was only a partial lie. "Deja said you needed me?"

"<You know what else she said? You were threatening to kill one of my patrons!>" Oga stated. She slammed her flabby fist down onto the table. "<Shadow, we've been over this. No violence in the cantina or you're out!>"

"Cad Bane started it!" Kira tried to argue. She wasn't expecting to be scolded! "I hate his belittling attitude. He always thinks I'm some silly little kid!"

"<Letting him provoke you to that extreme? Shadow, come on now, you are better than this. Who cares what he thinks? He does his own job and you do yours. Are you not my special worker bee? Don't you get all the special jobs, hm?>"

Kira sighed and rolled her eyes. Again, thankful her face was concealed. "Yes, you do give me a lot of good business."

"<Do you like working for me?>"

"Yes, ma'am."

"<None of that proper talk now>," Oga playfully scolded. "<What do you call me?>"

Kira roller her eyes again. "Yes, Auntie Oga."

"<Better!>" The Bluetopian got up and walked around the desk in her own time. She patted the girl's back. "<Now forget about Bane. I'd say handle him in a dark alleyway but I need the Duros! He gives me good business. Helps clean up the places I don't give you. Charges a lot though. You're cheaper!>" She laughed and gave Kira a squeeze from the side. There was a soft wheeze through the helmet.

Kira wiggled her way out of the grip as nicely as possible. "Speaking of business, do you have any jobs for me? There's nothing new on the list and credits are running low again."

Oga hummed, a strange gurgling noise Kira leaned to ignore. She picked her datapad off the table, scrolling through it. "<Well...I guess there is one job you can help out with. I had some others working on it but they're taking far too long. Communication is poor and that makes me mad. When I get mad, I started shooting, as you know. But you might be their decider of life or death. I want you to tag along and make sure this mission goes smoothly and prove they're trustworthy. Might need their asses dragged out of some mess they made. I think you're the girl to do it.>"

Kira stiffened for a moment. Someone else was becoming Oga's go-to person? She couldn't let that happen. Was she losing her touch? Disappointing her somehow? "Auntie, you know I always deliver. Why not just hire me to begin with?"

"<It's not that I didn't want to but...I have other workers here too. Lots of mouths to feed. This group is new though. Borrowed them from a contact on Pantora and traded back a lousy group of workers here. Haven't met them yet but they're supposed to live up to their name. Seems promising or I'm going to have to make a trip with my blaster over there to shoot up that Trandoshan!>"

"Who are they?" Kira pressed. She couldn't help sounding a bit...jealous or defensive. She didn't like competition.

Oga shrugged, or at least shifted her flab around. "<Some group that calls themselves the Bad Batch.>"

Kira blinked. The name was unfamiliar to her. It sounded like a bunch of punk teenagers that didn't fit in and made up some stupid name to be respected. "The who?"

"<The Bad Batch. They're a bunch of reject clones somehow that escaped being rolled over to the Empire. That's as much info as I have anyway. I don't care if they were all womp rats as long as the job gets done!>"

Kira cringed as the Empire was mentioned. She didn't want to deal with them and attract unwanted attention. She debated on passing, because if these so-called clones were caught, no doubt they were being held in an Imperial prison. She didn't like jail breaks. "So...they're rebels?"

"<Don't know, don't care. They do what they're told and don't ask questions according to my contact. My favorite kind of people!>" Oga laughed again then handed Kira a data chip. "<The info is on here. Look it over and let me know if you're taking it on. Now if you excuse me, I have a bone to pick with Hondo Ohnaka...>"

Kira nodded, taking the chip and slipping it into her pocket. She would look it over later back at the Spire's Mist hotel. "I'll message you as soon as I can. And take an easy on Hondo. If I'm flying off planet, I'm going to need a ship from him."

"<Good luck with that. I heard the last ship he lent someone sent that poor sucker crashing into the fuel depot!>" Oga growled. "<If you see him, remind him that he owes me for all the fuel he wasted! Entire place went up in flames!>"

"I'll let him know," Kira hummed, not actually going to do so. "I'll be in touch." She bowed her head slightly as a proper farewell then headed out of the office.

This job seemed promising, but the workers were indeed sparking her interest. Decommissioned clone troopers that somehow escaped the Empire's grasp...how were they not tracked down? They're either incredibly smart or incredibly lucky. She would weigh her options later and look over the benefits as the word "Empire" made her want to steer as far away as possible. Even if they weren't directly connected anymore, they were still clones and that worried her. She didn't trust them not to turn her in. No doubt her bounty would be worth a ton more than theirs. If they even had bounties on their heads...the Empire didn't let things go lightly.

Kira made her way out of the back corridors and passed the Wookiee again, although now he appeared to be flirting with some Rodian waitress. Ouch. Oga would do a number on him for that if they were dating at all.

She also noticed Cad Bane was either gone or making himself unknown, which was fine with her. She didn't care for starting up another argument as the last one got her scolded by Oga... Even Deja seemed to be minding her business now. Smart woman.

Kira exited the cantina and walked around the side of the circular establishment to where her parked speeder bike was. To think Savi was just going to get rid of this thing? It was still functional! Took a lot of work to repair it but Kaiden taught her how to be handy with engines and other tech. He was quite smart for a Twi'lek living a very simple life that called for none of those qualities. She should probably wonder why, but he's never threatened her life or given a reason for doubt. Him and his wife were the only ones she could trust in this broken galaxy...

Kira started up the speeder bike and it stuttered at first then came to life. Maybe it was a bit old but it worked. Could go fast as she needed and she loved feeling like she was flying across the ground. Made her feel so...free.

Kira had to ride it slow through the Outpost as it was crowded at this hour. Everyone was getting off work or returning home with dinner they hunted for. Dusk has arrived and night was right around the corner. She tried to avoid the rush hour here but sometimes it was inevitable.

Eventually she made it far enough that the scrapyard came into view. She added an extra revv of the engines then took off at a proper pace. But only once past the rocky and unstable ground of the scrapyard did she speed up to the fast blur. Now she had the wide open path that led her around the forest and towards some smaller buildings on the outskirts.

She slowed at last minute, loving the thrill of the feeling but not wanting to scrape up too much dirt and be stuck leveling the ground flat again. She learned her lesson from that. Kaiden made her take fresh dirt and fill in the pothole she made from slamming the brakes too hard. Now she was definitely more careful.

Kira parked her bike out front of the hotel and locked it to a small metal rod bent for that purpose only. Thieves never usually came out this far but if they did, they'd have a hard time breaking this lock without Kira knowing about it.

After looking one last time back at Black Spire Outpost and seeing the spires start to glow their evening hues of blues and greens- such a magnificent sight and true proof the Force was alive within the mountains- she entered the hotel.

Kira passed through the lobby but didn't go right up the staircase to her room. No, she smelled the delicious scent of a stew Rose loved to make when in a good mood. Maybe there were brownies too. She was such a good cook. Kira wished she could do half as good of a job...

Humming, she followed the scent towards a door that led to the kitchen and small dining area off to the side. Only Kaiden and Rose were allowed back here, and Kira as well since she was considered family. She acknowledged the area as a safe zone so once inside, she removed her helmet. Ahh, fresh air again...

Kira set her helmet down on the table and strode over to Rose, who was indeed stirring something in a pot on the stove. "Something smells delicious~"

Rose looked over and smiled at the girl. "Ah Kira, it's good you're back. I hate when you're out too late. It worries me." Such a motherly Twi'lek. She hummed and nodded. "Yes, you caught onto my homemade veggie stew, eh?"

"All fresh from the garden?"

"As if Kaiden would allow me to buy anything from the marketplace."

Kira lightly laughed. "I should have known that answer before I asked it."

"Is that the lovely laugh of my Shooting Star?" Kaiden said as he entered the dining area. That was a nickname he gave to Kira over the years due to the sparkle in her eyes, or so he said. She found it sweet.

He came over and gave each of the girls a kiss on their forehead. "It's so nice to hear your laugh, Kira."

"You both have finally given me a reason to," Kira smiled, looking down though as she felt shy admitting that. Not like the first time she's said that to them but still...

Kaiden pulled her into a hug. That had taken a while for her to adjust to. Now she found a hug wasn't a way to stab you in the back but to express affection. "You've come such a long way, Kira. We're both so proud of you."

He gently pushed some of her blonde hair back behind her ear. Though she kept it braided, it tended to stray. She recently added a single streak of black and red dye in her hair, sharply contrasting the blonde and thus making her look even more like a defiant rebel. Not that anyone else saw her face but still. The braid was three colored now and even Rose admitted it looked nice at the time, not that she had hair or knew what it was like to own it. One simply couldn't dye their lekku.

"You've become such a beautiful young woman," Kaiden added, making Kira blush. "Well, you have, my child. There was greatness always lied in store for you. Rose saw that and I did too over time."

"Father..." Kira found it hard to look at him. She could never get used to all the praise these two gave her over the years.

He smiled at being called that. Proudly. "Still shy over that? Maybe one day you will see it better. However long it takes, my Shooting Star."

"You've always been so patient with me," Kira said softly, slowly making her way back to looking at him. "Both of you. I feel like a whole new person."

"You haven't changed. This is simply who are, Kira. Your mother and I are so happy that we get to see you enjoying your life for once."

Kira smiled a bit from that and hugged Kaiden. After that, she moved to hug Rose from behind, who was flattered to receive a random hug. She owed these two her life, literally. They saved her and gave her that second chance. She wouldn't fail them.

"I am really happy," Kira said. "You two have given me all I wanted. With Oga giving me jobs and you two housing and feeding me-"

"And loving you," Rose added with a smile.

Kira giggled. "Yes, and loving me. I have the perfect life right now. I'm satisfied." She noticed Kaiden eyeing her and paused. "What?"

"Are you fully satisfied?" he asked. "Yes, you have us but certainly a beautiful young woman your age would want...I don't know...a future partner to love-"

"Kaiden!" Rose nicely scolded. "Stop trying to press someone onto Kira. She will date when she's ready."

"I'm not trying to pressure her!" Kaiden said in defense. "I just want to make sure...all of the avenues in her life are fulfilled. Since you are happy here, you could settle down for good. And if that means finding a nice man or woman as an addition to this life, maybe some kids..."

"Love doesn't just happen, Kaiden."

"Ah, those are the very words you said to me when we started dating, Rose, but look where we are now?" His wife rolled her eyes at him, meaning he won. He placed a hand on Kira's shoulder. "I'm honestly not pressuring you but if you ever wanted to explore some options...your mother and I support you."

She nodded slowly. "I don't think it would work. Too many have hurt me in the past. It's so hard to know who to trust..." Plus that meant opening up so much to that stranger. Showing her face, talking about her personal life, actually being that close and...ugh. Romance just didn't sound like it was her thing. "It doesn't sound like I could fit into that future. I think I'm best living here with you."

"And we are happy with that. Aren't we Kaiden?" Rose eyed her husband, a warning to not disagree.

Kaiden did agree, knowing better. "Yes, we support whatever decision you make Kira."

That did make her smile. "Thank you. I'm going to head upstairs and freshen up before dinner if that's okay?"

"Don't take too long!" Rose called to her. "Stew is almost done!" She spotted Kaiden's creeping hands and swatted him away. "Shoo! No tasting before dinner!"

Kira laughed and shook her head in amusement. After donning her helmet again, she headed upstairs to her bedroom. It was three flights up but she didn't mind it. Gave her a nice workout.

She entered her bedroom and shut the door. Maybe it was a "hotel" but she viewed it more as a small apartment. So along with Kaiden and Rose, they all worked together to fix the room up better since Kira was a permanent resident. Fresh coat of paint on the walls, some upgrades to the furniture, a new mattress, and a bit of remodeling in the refresher. In the end, though it still was small and simple, it looked almost brand new. Though the rugged look of Batuu never officially left, but she liked it that way. Too perfect reminded her of the Empire. So if a crack remained in the tile or the wall paint chipped, Kira was pleased with it.

She took a quick shower and changed into some fresh clothes for the evening. So much better. Batuu could get so hot and muggy at times. Before heading back downstairs, she paused at remembering the data chip Oga gave her. Well...maybe she could spare another moment. Just to check out this mission.

She sat down on the windowsill ledge and adjusted the throw pillow behind her back. This was her favorite place to work and at night when she couldn't sleep, to draw. Art was a secret pasttime of hers. She loved to draw the scenery outside, the starry night, maybe a strange new alien she came across, sometimes her room although with different appearances...and yes, sometimes her dreams.

Being sensitive to the Force gave her a bit of premonition at times so when she dreamt, she made sure to jot it down, just in case it was needed. So far no nightmares lately. Those frightened her to death because they were always semi-realistic circumstances. She hated those.

Kira picked up her datapad and inserted the chip. The information rolled out and she hummed, looking it all over with a bit of curiosity but also hesitation. The mission worried her but once she saw her cut of the bargain...well, can't argue with those numbers. That could do a lot for her.

The mission was simple: pick up a shipment from Kessel and deliver it to the secret client on Eadu. Probably spice, knowing Oga. More of a smuggling mission and Kira wasn't fond of those but she wouldn't judge yet.

First she had to track these clones down so she could drag them along with her. They had to do this together, according to Oga. The mission was theirs, Kira was merely an...overseer. Make sure they didn't betray Oga. They were used to being on Pantora eh? That's where she was heading tomorrow. Time to make a quick call...

She slipped her helmet back on and dialed the number to Docking Bay 5, one of the busier spaceport here. It didn't take long for someone to answer, a face appearing on her datapad screen. "Ohnaka Transport Solutions."

Kira smirked, recognizing the face even before the voice. At least she got the good worker there. Gar was more of an...airhead. That was a nice word to use. "Malta, it's good to see you again."

"Don't know if I say the same." He leaned back and crossed his arms. "Let me guess, you need a ship?"

"You know me so well."

Malta eyed the camera. He was not only the most experienced worker, and one of the only human workers Hondo had, but also the one who lasted the longest. Basically the boss underneath the boss himself. He could be a bit hard to work with at times but...not the worst she's dealt with.

Malta picked up a list, flipping the notes he had. "Shadow, you know you still owe us for the last ship you 'borrowed'. It came back into port damaged and Hondo hasn't been repaid yet."

Kira hummed, expecting this as much. "I know...but with this next job, I could pay for that and also the next rental. Can't you squeeze me in for one more little thing? This job would give Hondo a nice percentage."

Malta blinked and sighed. "Oh, Hondo isn't going to like this...I can't authorize it though. You're going to have to take it up with him."

Kira groaned softly. "But can't you just-" Too late, Malta already transferred the call. She didn't want to talk to Hondo, in case he was in a bad mood from Oga. He was usually in quite a charismatic mood but when he did get mad...things could get ugly.

A Weequay with long dreads appeared on the screen. He recognized the caller and barked out a laugh in his thick accent. "Ah, Shadow, it's so good to see you! Must be that time again when you need a ship from me, eh?"

"You know me so well," Kira replied, hoping the voice cover of her helmet didn't sound fully evil and maybe partly cheerful. "Have something available for me?"

"I always have something ready to fly!" Hondo stated, then narrowed his eyes slightly. "But it's you who hasn't yet paid up fully, yes? I never received my percentage of the profit you promised me. I think this is what we call some...payment complications. And when things get complicated, the price goes up!"

Kira bit her lip, not that he could see. "Hondo, you know I'm good for the credits."

"You're good at borrowing but not good at paying."

"Hey, I learned from the best?" She was referring to him and the Weequay picked up on it.

"What?" He gasped loudly, placing a hand on his chest. "You insult my honor...and believe me I have very little honor to insult." He huffed then started to laugh after a pause. "Ah, I got you on that one! Haha! Shadow, my dear, you know how to crack a good joke. I like that, it's good. You do remind me of me, but without the bounty on your head!"

Kira stiffened slightly at the mention of that and started laughing along with him to play it off. "Right, right. So um...the ship?"

"Hmm..." He rubbed his scaly chin. "There still is the payment problem. You owe me twice so I will charge you double! We split your profit seventy-twenty-five! And then minus your ten percent off the twenty five..."

She rolled her eyes in amusement. Always credits with him. He was funny though. "You mean the seventy is my side right?" She knew it wasn't.

He blinked, clearly caught, then started laughing again. "Of course I do! Shadow, have I ever steered you wrong?" Yes, multiple times actually, but she wasnt about to say so. "You come to my office tomorrow at dawn and we can work out a proper deal alright? Alright. Good talk. See you tomorrow. Good night or whatever you humans say!" He hung up the call before Kira could say anything else.

Kira blinked at the sudden call ending but shrugged. At least she got her ship. That was the point of the call after all. Might have to work a bit at getting the pay to be fair but that was always that way with Hondo. In her eyes, that went better than expected. Only one thing left to do.

She picked up her comlink with a smirk, picturing the credits coming in as she dialed a familiar number.

"Oga. It's Shadow. I'm in."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Chapter 2 complete! A proper kickoff to the book as the first chapter was more of a throwback. The Bad Batch are on their way, don't worry! Just be patient. There is greatness ahead. Let me know what you thought!

Spoilers for Episode 8 of the Bad Batch below!!!

Warning!

Last Warning!

I had NO idea Cad Bane was going to appear. I swear, I wrote this chapter a good week or so ago. This is so ironic he appears this Episode of all of them to go with my chapter lmao But hey it was SO good to see him! I love how we keep seeing Clone Wars characters come back plus new faces! This show is purely awesome!

Keep an eye out for Chapter 3 coming soon! Hopefully around the beginning of July!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 1K 35
During the Clone Wars, the Bad Batch is tasked with a variety of missions across the galaxy. An unexpected addition to their team throws a wrench in...
16K 443 58
Aurora Ealis is a Bounty Hunter who thinks that it's best to be alone in life. With no one to care for, loss wouldn't be as such of a big deal. Well...
The Shadow By Liz

Fanfiction

5.2K 261 19
"She's one clone, she can't be that much trouble." The recruit said harshly, and Crosshair pinned him with a stern look. "I trained her. Wherever yo...
13.9K 729 31
• With the Republic gone, a new order is brought forward from the shadows. The new Galactic Empire• - - - After finding her way to the Bad Batch, and...