toxic | j. baker¹

By baxteravenue

In which the "it girl" with daddy issues and the quarterback with daddy issues connect over a mutual bond of... More

cast list
playlist
character description
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
book 2

forty-one

3.5K 73 23
By baxteravenue

When Asher had asked Luna to attend the brunch with his mother, Gwen, she wasn't entirely expecting their interaction to be so awkward. The only reason she attended the brunch was because this was usually something Olivia would do for him but considering those two were broken up and their communication was non-existent. Luna had decided to step up and do the right thing by attending the brunch with him.

However, the whole exchange was very awkward and sort of cringe. She didn't realize how strange things had been between them ever since Jacob, his mom's fiance, had come around.

"Luna," Gwen softly smiled. "You've grown so much. How long has it been since I've seen you?"

"I don't know," she awkwardly shrugged. "Two years? Maybe even longer?"

"Has it been that long?" Gwen gasped. "Wow, well, it's nice to see you and Asher getting along."

Luna just gave her a soft nod, picking up her drink and taking a sip out of it.

"Maybe, you'll join us at Jacob's restaurant, later?" Gwen continued as she looked at herself in a compact mirror. "I get to see both of you twice in one day and this way, you'll meet Jacob. His restaurant's amazing."

"Uh, I was kinda thinking this could dinner," Asher suggested as he gestured to the cafe. "I need to get some reps in on the field tonight..." his mom stared at him cautiously causing him to hold his hands up defensively. "What?"

"It's just funny," Gwen shook her head. "Every time I try to make plans with you and Jacob, you always...seem to have other things going on."

Asher glanced at the table. "It's not that funny."

"Hey, guys."

The three turned their heads towards the voice and noticed Vanessa walking up to the table. Asher had awkwardly tensed up once she approached them causing the already weird atmosphere to get even weirder.

"Hey, Vanessa," Luna sent her a soft smile. "Um, Gwen, this is Vanessa."

"Hi, Vanessa," she sent her a friendly smile. "I'm Asher's mom."

The two exchanged friendly greetings and Gwen even suggested that she join them but thankfully she declined because that was not what Luna had signed up for. But, before Vanessa could leave, she suggested that she and Asher study, causing Gwen to raise an eyebrow in her son's direction.

"Studying is that what you guys call it, now?" Gwen stared at her son.

"When we're studying, yeah," Asher quipped.

"What's going on with you two?" Gwen curiously pried.

"They like each other, obviously," Luna deadpanned. "But, something is holding him back."

"Something?" Asher turned towards her, raising his eyebrow. "You know how much drama this has caused. So can we not talk about this?"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," Gwen shook her head. "So, uh, about Jacob, he's going to be my husband, why can't you give him a chance?"

Asher didn't bother responding, only giving his mom the cold shoulder. Gwen tried to look at Luna for help but she wasn't her biggest fan and was of course on Asher's side even if he was being a bit hardheaded. So, Gwen packed up her things and paid the bill, leaving the teens alone.

Luna turned to Asher. "Okay, I stayed quiet because I didn't want to disrespect you in front of your mother. But, why are you being such a dick?"

"What did I do?" Asher questioned. "Why you are on her side? You barely like her!"

"First of all, I'm on your side, dumbass," she pointed a finger at him, narrowing her eyes. "But, she's still your mom. And Jacob's gonna be your stepdad whether you like it or not. So, put your big boy pants on and give him a chance."

He raised his eyebrow at her. "Oh, like you gave Peter a chance?"

"You're right, I treated Peter like a piece of shit for the longest time," Luna confessed. "But, then I realized how happy he made my mom. Your mom seems really happy with Jacob and if you can't see that then you're an asshole. Plus, sometimes, stepdad's are really cool. And, if it weren't for Peter, we wouldn't have ever met! Your life would've been miserable without me."

"How did you manage to make this all about yourself?" Asher chuckled.

Luna hopped off of the stool and grinned. "It's a part of my charm."

"Are you leaving me?" he threw his hands up. "I thought we could play some pool or something."

She waved her watch in his face. "Sorry, you only reserved Luna time for an hour."

"I'm going through a crisis and you leave," Asher scoffed. "Worst cousin ever!"

"What did we say about that word?" Luna cringed.

♡♡♡

Luna wasn't sure what Asher's intentions were when she found out he had practically forced Jacob into allowing Spencer and Olivia to host Grace's graduation party at his restaraunt. But, quite frankly, she did not care, she knew that Asher would eventually come around and realize that maybe Jacob wasn't that bad.

She was hoping that she would be able to attend the party with Jordan but he had told her that he wasn't sure if he would be able to go since he had been busy all day. She wasn't quite sure what he meant since he didn't go into specifics but she trusted him. So, instead, she attended alone and stuck by her best friend's side.

They were all crowded around in the front of the restaurant in the courtyard, waiting for the guest of honor to arrive and once she did, Grace was completely showered in affection.

"Look at you," Luna wrapped her arm around Liv's shoulder. "You sure did go all out for your mother in law's party."

Liv's cheeks flushed red in embarassment. "I hate you so much."

"You know what's funny?" she giggled. "Spencer has the same reaction whenever I bring you up!"

Liv was seconds away from strangling her best friend.

But, thankfully, Jordan had come up behind Luna and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Hey, when my girlfriend's done flirting with her girlfriend. I'd like to talk to her, please?"

Liv held up her hands and walked away, refusing to keep talking about her and Spencer.

"Okay, so, look, I know I haven't been acting like the Jordan Baker you know and I'm so—"

Luna stared at him. "Shut up."

"Pardon?" Jordan held his hand to his heart. "What did you just say to me?"

"Stop apologizing, I know that life without football is strange and it's gonna be an adjustment. But, I fell in love with the Jordan Baker who decorated my hotel room with rose petals and candles just to confess his love for me," Luna cupped his face in her hands. "Not Jordan Baker the quarterback. I understand that football is your life and it's what you love but, that's not the reason why I'm with you. I will continue to stand by and support you no matter what you end up doing because I love you, and there's nothing you could ever do that would make me stop. I just don't want to hear you putting yourself down...You're an amazing son, football player, friend, and an even better boyfriend."

"I know this sounds crazy," Jordan let out a sigh of relief. "But, I didn't think it was even possible to love someone as much as I love you, Luna."

A smile found its way across her face, she pulled him in for a kiss. Jordan pulled away admiring her for a second almost as if he couldn't believe she was his girlfriend before smashing his lips against hers.

Dillon walked up to the couple, making them pull apart as he outstretched his phone towards Jordan. "Hey, bro, mind taking a pic with me and my girl for my Instagram?"

Jordan couldn't help but laugh. "Your what?"

"My girl, Luna," Dillon walked closer to her, wrapping his arm around her. "She knows what's up."

Jordan held up the phone, relucantly. "Say Dillon never had a chance!"

Dillon sent Jordan a cheeky smile. "Dude, I've never seen her smile this big with you..." he gesutered to Luna. "Might wanna re-think whose girl she is."

Luna giggled at her boyfriend's face. "Aw, baby. Come here."

Jordan walked into her open arms and let out a dramatic sigh. "He's got better game than me."

"True," she nodded. "So, not to be a nosy girlfriend. But, where the hell were you today?"

"I've been running around trying to convince Coach Montes to let the team scrimmage against South Crenshaw," Jordan answered. "There are some scouts coming down to watch."

"Ooh!" she perked up. "I'll be there."

"You will?" he asked.

"Have I ever missed a football game?" she teased.

"From what I remember? No," Jordan shook his head. "Now, wanna get some cake? I heard Spencer made it."

"Cake sounds good," Luna hooked her arms around his neck. "But...I've got an empty house and I can name something else that sounds even better."

"You're very dirty," Jordan raised his eyebrow at her. "But, come on, I'll allow you to have your way with me."

3x13

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 166 12
** i hate this book pls don't read it** ༻ 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐎𝐒 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 . . . 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄! ( IN WHICH TWO TEENS FIND COMFORT IN ONE ANOT...
19.4K 876 21
When Olivia's given an ultimatum by her parents, she chooses to stay with her grandfather in South Crenshaw. And what was originally supposed to be t...
157K 3.3K 57
Skylar Hayes... a girl who lost her father due to cancer. Her mom finds someone new although Skylar is proud of her. The man she is with has drank be...
1.2K 9 10
Cassandra Thompson has never really been one for love, she's been hurt in the past and doesn't want to go through it again. When she and her 12 year...