Pretend (Ryeji)

By mochiiiii_01

Shin Ryujin, and her rival, Hwang Yeji, are both celebrities. Already a few years into the industry, each is... More

Main Characters + Summary
Chapter 1: How We Met
Chapter 2: The Play
Chapter 3: How We Fell
Chapter 4: Audition
Chapter 5: Bet
Chapter 6: It Begins
Chapter 7: It Begins (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Baby Steps
Chapter 9: Progress?
Chapter 10: Curious
Chapter 11: Square One?
Chapter 12: Uncertainty
Chapter 13: Sh!t
Chapter 14: Hate Me
Chapter 15: The Party
Chapter 17: Vlive
Chapter 18: Pretend
Chapter 19: Bad Day
Chapter 20: Kiss Scene
Chapter 21: Persistence
Chapter 22: Happy Birthday
Chapter 23: Jealousy
Chapter 24: Troubled Past
Chapter 25: oh no
Chapter 26: Kiss Scene (Part 2)
Chapter 27: Assurance
Chapter 28: Bad News
Chapter 29: Not As Planned
Chapter 30: Please Go
Chapter 31: Happy Birthday (Pt.2)
Chapter 32: Love (?)
Chapter 33: But I Love You Too
Chapter 34: Slow
Chapter 35: Good News?
Chapter 36: Not As Planned (Pt.2)
Chapter 37: Results
Chapter 38: Showcase
Chapter 39: Movie Premiere
Chapter 40: 'Tis the Season

Chapter 16: Rehearsal

2.8K 180 406
By mochiiiii_01

"Where's Ryujin? Did she leave?"

"She did." Mr. Park interrupts, joins the conversation without receiving an invitation, and startles the redhead without warning. "Anyone care to explain why she was here?"

Yeji glances back at her brother for no longer than a second, doesn't give him a chance to tell the truth. Was that dumb? Maybe. But she didn't want him to get scolded on behalf of a problem that exists because of her past (and apparently current) attraction, not his.

The words leave her lips impulsively. "I invited her."

"Excuse me?"

"I, uh, invited her." She utters through a gulp. His stern tone made her heart anxiously skip a beat, and she hates it every time she finds herself in this position. It's inevitable. In the end, she was likely to be the victim of blame. Yeji supposed it was bound to happen the instant Ryujin arrived with San.

It's frustrating in more ways than one, but the main thought that incites her pupils to widen is the fact that her stepfather was the only person who saw Ryujin leave. That in itself leaves a lot of room for concern—an emotion she doesn't try to show.

"Our director for the movie suggested we make public appearances together at least once a month until the movie's release."

"Since when do your director's words trump my own?"

There he goes again, taunting as usual, seeking to lure Yeji into a trap by mere words alone. A part of him is always ready to accuse her rather than appreciate her obedience. As often as he sees fit, he sternly puts Yeji in her place, calls her an ungrateful brat, and reminds the girl what he's done, not only for her, but her dear siblings and deceased mother as well. It's practically engraved in her mind, permanently etched on every muscle, nerve, vein. In a sense, it's his way of guilt-tripping the poor woman, and it works. Every. Single. Time.

"I- I didn't mean it like that." Yeji jumps to her own defense, almost regrets her words.

For everyone else watching, especially Jaehee and Yeonjun, they felt uncomfortable witnessing such a tense situation. At the same time, San and Monday make eye contact, glance back and forth between the father-daughter pair standing by the table. The performance currently taking place drowns out a lot of the sound surrounding them. Hence, these four are the only witnesses to the discussion, and even they had trouble hearing every word.

"Don't test my patience, little one." He takes a step closer, his glare as intimidating as ever, eyes more narrow than Yeji has ever seen, lowers his voice to avoid anyone else's ears. It's as if he's accustomed to getting angrier each time Ryujin and Yeji's names are placed into the same sentence. "Think about the consequences of what you do before you act."

"But dad... you told me that my time with Ryujin has to stop after the movie's release." She mumbles, and while the excuse lingers for those few seconds in her brain, she realizes it's actually true. She stands tall, firm, palms nearly balled into fists dangling at her sides. Despite this being the quickest excuse she's ever pulled, he couldn't claim she wasn't abiding by his demands. "For the time being, my best interest is to follow through with what the production staff asks of me. If promoting with her means the film will do better in sales, wouldn't you agree that inviting her to one of Seoul's biggest Spring events is a decent idea?"

Mr. Park glares, but clearly bites his tongue. He's evidently ready to yell, eager to start an argument. Due to familiarity, Yeji has a feeling that, if it weren't for where they were and who was around, this conversation would've escalated drastically. It's not actually her fault that Ryujin showed up here, but she claimed it was. It's true his reaction is, in fact, worse than it might've been, yet it serves as a reminder of what could happen if she were to boldly defy her stepfather.

He maintained his composure and it sort of irritates her. She hates that, regardless of how much she's listened to him, he still throws these accusations. No doubt, had they been somewhere more private, he would've argued she's using this acting gig as an excuse for 'disobeying' him when it's truly the opposite. She's trying so hard. However, he insists on making her feel like she's taking everything for granted.

"Listen to me carefully, Yeji." Mr. Park leans toward her ear. "Don't underestimate my influence."

At this moment, Yeji learned that her pupils seemed to be able to dilate more than she initially believed. 'Is that a threat?'

Once he steps away, irritatingly smiles at a guest of his and initiates a new conversation, she mulls all that's happened over and over again. She hasn't done anything wrong, for heaven's sake! The redhead couldn't fathom why he deems it necessary to nitpick at her choices, nor why he feels the need to be so controlling.

It sinks in her mind as she wanders away, doesn't bother to let anyone know where she's headed because she doesn't even know the answer to that herself. What she wants to know is what he meant by his threat. Who was it toward? Her? Ryujin? And what would be the consequences of underestimating his influence, anyway? Surely it has to do with professions, but she and Ryujin are quite a few years into their careers. Does he think he can easily shut that down? Is his hostile confidence merely a bluff?

Yeji shivers at the memory. She doesn't want anything bad to happen to someone who doesn't deserve such treatment. Whether her stepfather's threat is a precipice to frighten her or not, it doesn't matter. She can't risk it. She won't.

Besides, she's not ready to be honest. The cat-eyed girl prefers to push down whatever strange yet affectionate feelings she has, disguise them as anything other than what they truthfully are, and not let it rise to a surface.

While Yeji was busy recalling the incident that night at the gala several days ago, her guest was sitting in her living room, watching a television show on Netflix. Ryujin's been here for half an hour or so, but the young Hwang plans to stall for as long as she's able to, until she can't no more, too afraid to practice the sections of the script they agreed to run through today. They've got the apologetic portion to do, but they're also practicing the most dreaded part of all... The kiss scene.

This scene isn't the only thing on her mind, though. Every time Yeji's around her co-star, she feels bad, doesn't want to treat Ryujin with disrespect. The issue is it seems that's easier said than done when the woman is unknowingly at the root of her most recent problems. There's that little angel and devil perched upon her shoulders, engaging in a game of tug of war as she decides if she should apologize and give into her feelings or be rude and scare Ryujin off in order to protect herself.

The redhead glances up from her device's screen, sets the phone down. She waits a minute, then peeks over at the open script beside her thigh. Ever since the day Yeji kissed Ryujin, she's wanted to say sorry. She's just worried she'll sound like a broken record... but that doesn't stop her. According to their schedules, they're stuck with each for the rest of the year. There's no avoiding anyone.

"Hey?"

"Yeah?" The youngest responds, eyes still trained on the events unfolding in the drama until she suddenly shakes her head roughly. "Oh! My bad!" She realizes how long she's been watching the show, and reaches for the remote to shut it off, then moves to grab her script on the table beside the couch she was on because the last thing she wants to do is get on Yeji's bad side again.

"Ryujin— "

"I know, I know. Just let me find the page." She cuts her co-star off, flips through several sheets hastily as her eyes skim the lines on each. Little does she know, Yeji's intention isn't to rush her.

"That's not what I— "

"Got it!" Ryujin sits back in her seat, exhales victoriously. "See? It's right here. No need to rush me. I'm prepared."

"I wasn't trying to rush you... "

"Oh?" Her eyebrows raise curiously. Yeji's voice sounded soft, small. "Sorry~ What is it then?"

"Uhm." The oldest fiddles with her fingers uncomfortably, doesn't like the undivided attention. But her job requires this anyway, Ryujin's full attention on her, and it's what she'll have to deal with today for the next couple of hours while they rehearse the script. "I want to apologize."

"For?"

'Is she really going to make me say it?' The redhead thinks. She too scared to vividly recall the moment, the feeling—except that's nothing she can control. It's out of her hands, and the mere thought of what happened causes some redness. Yeji can literally feel the warmth on the surface of her skin clash against the cool temperature in her house, and she mentally curses her air conditioner for that because she doesn't want to be aware. Consciousness of her reaction will only make it more obvious.

Ryujin isn't sure how to go about Yeji's odd behavior. It makes her confused, but a lot of things about her co-star does that, so there's not much of a surprise there. "What do you want to apologize about?"

"I, uhm, I'm sorry for... kissing... y- you."

This is new. Ryujin isn't used to Yeji stumbling over her words while bowing her head, and it's safe to say she isn't fond of it. Yes, she was angry at the time, but she isn't bothered by it anymore. She knows it was just a kiss to piss her off. On the other hand, she thinks her ears have deceived her. Thus, she phrases her response it in a way she hopes will be taken lightly, but she doesn't expect it to backfire. "What was that? I'm not sure I heard you right."

"I'm not going to repeat myself."

"If you insist." The blonde props up her head with her hand, chin against her palm. It isn't the reaction she wanted, but she's glad it didn't turn into a petty argument.

Meanwhile, Yeji sighs. This is hard for her. She knows what she should do is different from what she wants to do, and that's what motivates her feet to slowly lead her to the kitchen. The doctors insist she shouldn't apply an excessive amount pressure, warn her to take it easy, one day at a time, especially since she's a dancer. The last time Ryujin was with her, Yeji was scolded for dancing on it. It's been a month since she injured herself, and if she wanted to get better completely, she had to listen. Besides, if she began limping badly again, she knows her co-star's mouth will be the first she hears. She couldn't have that. It's a clear reminder of how much Ryujin has grown to care for her over the past couple of months.

Yeji strives to prevent interactions, limit them as often as she can, not initiate them—however, today the care to avoid is thrown out the window. She carelessly lets her emotions control her behavior, pulls out a wine bottle from her fridge, sets it on the counter, then opens up the cabinet in front of her.

This is where the redhead opts out of being careful the most. She glances at the shelves with a frown on her face, notices her favorite wine glass is located at the top. Yeji won't let this slide. At least one thing in her life has to go right. If she wants the damn glass, she's going to fucking get it.

Ryujin sits back and watches, attempts to figure out what's going on. She's still lost, notes the many cups within arm's reach, yet those cat-eyes appear to be directed elsewhere, somewhere higher up. She tilts her head to the left. "Struggling?"

"No, no. I'm fine."

"Then why are you taking forever to grab a cup?"

"My favorite one is at the top."

"Do you need help then?"

"What do you think?"

"Ouch, Yeddeong. You're feisty today." Ryujin chuckles, but Yeji doesn't seem to enjoy the humor.

"Don't call me that." Is her last reply before she attempts to reach for the cup. Yeji jumps, misses the item on her first try, but the impact of her foot hitting the floor upon landing hurts her ankle. She winces quietly, although it doesn't go unheard. The house is fairly silent, after all, no longer a show playing to act as background noise, and there's no one else with her except for Ryujin.

Her co-star frowns instantly, anger ready to consumer her. She wants Yeji to take care of herself, not do the opposite. "Just choose a different cup."

"No."

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"Shut up." Yeji hops, misses the glass yet again. It frustrates her, so before her co-star has a sliver of a chance to speak up, she tries a third time, fails miserably. She cries out this time, brings her knee up to massage her ankle gently. Her first thought is, 'why does nothing go right for me?' The question and pain distracts her from seeing Ryujin rush over.

The blonde acts on instinct, does what her heart tells her to do, and firmly places her hands on Yeji's waist, attempts to steady the woman, get her to stop hopping in place before she topples over.

"Just how dumb can you possibly get?!" She shouts, her voice harsh and bitter. "You could've settled for a different glass!"

The whole ordeal makes Yeji wince. Other than Mr. Park, no one else really yells at her. It's a rare instance, thus reminds her of the fear she feels whenever her stepfather scolds her.

"I'm sorry." Yeji whimpers, cowers. Between the mess that is her emotions, her heart is frail. An attitude? That she can handle. An argument? Not even. She doesn't take well to being yelled at. It only results in tears, regardless if they appear now or later when she cries herself to sleep.

Ryujin catches the change in mood, seeks to reverse it just as fast as she unintentionally caused it. "It's okay. I didn't mean to yell... But you should be careful. You know what the doctor said. If you keep this up, you won't be able to dance at the showcase."

"R- right." The oldest stares, isn't sure how to react. However, Ryujin's hands haven't moved. They're still pressed against her waist, so she panics.

Yeji steps back on her bad ankle, falls to the ground immediately after. Ryujin reaches out, tries to grab her, yet ends up falling too, and there they were, Yeji practically sitting with the younger woman on her knees in between her legs.

'Does she have to be so close?' Yeji's breath hitches, too close for comfort, yet Ryujin huffs. Judging by the harsh glare, she's mad again, and Yeji's aware it's her own fault.

"Why can't you just ask for help?!"

"I, uh... " The redhead shifts backwards. Her bum slides an inch or two before her back hits the bottom cabinets below the counter space, and she clears her throat. She's not sure she's ever seen Ryujin this mad—well, not since their high school days. "I just really wanted my cup."

"Then ask." The woman's voice is so stern, makes her flinch the instant the latter moves. She watches Ryujin stand, point at a glass and look at Yeji for confirmation before grabbing it. The blonde sets it on the counter, then extends her arm, holds out her hand for Yeji to grab. "Get up."

She doesn't respond directly, just accepts the offer, bites her lip because the skinship sends a shiver up her arm. She stands, aware Ryujin is glaring at her, but she doesn't know how to handle the eye contact. It seems the latter wants something to be said. So, Yeji mumbles a soft, "Thank you... "

"And??"

'And??' Yeji mentally questions, wondering what she's expected to say, but then it hits. "Sorry?"

"Say it sincerely."

"Oh... " She sighs. "I'm sorry... I'll accept your help next time."

"Good. You should be. Now don't take long. We're supposed to be rehearsing." Ryujin steps off, moves to sit on the couch.

.

.

.

Both women have been practicing almost nonstop, and Yeji's palms get sweatier with every minute nearing this. She's snuck in a few drinks undetected, and at this point, she might as well consider chugging whatever is left in the wine bottle.

Nonetheless, there is one thing she got out of her careless drinking. She should've expected to get tipsy at some point. This isn't exactly a good thing. She doesn't want to come face to face with Ryujin while acting out a sentimental scene. The falseness will feel too much like a dream, and in a dream she's permitted to act freely.

"Do we have to do this scene?"

"Yes. You've been refusing for weeks."

"But we don't film it for at least another two weeks, maybe even three." The redhead attempted to get herself out of this situation, at least for today, prefers to worry about it tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not a choice.

"Practice makes perfect, right? This isn't improv. It's the real deal. Quit complaining." Ryujin rolls her eyes, doesn't see the big deal because Yeji was the one to initiate a kiss last time. "How about we stand since the scene calls for it?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea."

She looks over, sees her co-star point to the ankle she slightly worsened earlier. Since she doesn't know how much pain Yeji is in, she tries not to think of it as an excuse. "Fine, but let's at least sit next to each other. Do you know your lines by heart?"

"Yes... Are you suggesting we put away the scripts?"

"Glad you caught on. I think it's better practice this way." She offers to take Yeji's script and sets it on the table, then motions for Yeji to sit next to her. "Shall we start?"

"Sure."

**skipping cuz the kiss scene is
described in a future chapter**

As soon as both women near the dreaded scene, whether it was the alcohol giving her a boost or Ryujin's great acting as Joanne, Yeji really wants to kiss Ryujin. She doesn't know what to do, hasn't come up with a plan, so in hopes it's enough, she purposely messes up her line, laughs through it. "Haha~ I think I forgot what I'm supposed to say next."

"Oh. No worries. Lucy says— "

"No, I mean like all of my lines."

Before Ryujin has a chance to state it from memory, Yeji cuts her off. It bothers her a little, causes a brow to raise upward in disbelief. "All?"

"Mhm. Every single one of them."

"Why are you lying? You never let us finish this scene."

"We can continue it some other time. I want to sleep."

"But it's only ten."

"That's a suitable time to sleep."

Ryujin chuckled. She still can't wrap her brain around why the other woman wants to avoid such a simple scene. "Why are you chickening out when we agreed not to follow through with the kiss for now?"

"That's not the reason."

"Sure it isn't." Ryujin taunted her, and it was honestly just to bother Yeji because she could tell the girl was tipsy. She thought it unprofessional, but she doesn't want to jump to conclusions considering she has an idea of what goes on in Yeji's life. For now, all she wants is for the redhead to read her lines—

Except that's not what she got. Ryujin was too lost in her thoughts to pay attention for that brief moment. It all happened so quickly.

A pair of soft lips press against her cheek tenderly, and they linger for a moment. It's crazy because, somehow, Ryujin senses a trace of genuine affection in those few seconds.

"There. The scene is done." Yeji stands up, and whether it's because the alcohol has fully set in her system or if the pain in her ankle is still present, she falls to the ground. Rather then whine, she laughs at that stupidity of this. Her emotions were taking a toll on her. Behind this happy, giddy facade, she was ready to break.

Ryujin snaps out of her daze, doesn't have time to think about the warmth she felt in her chest, nor about how flustered it left her. "What the hell are you doing??"

"Resting, I guess." Yeji giggles. "I'm tired."

"Get up. We have a scene to finish."

"I already ended it. We practiced enough today."

"Still doesn't explain why you're on the floor."

"Unless you plan on carrying me to my bed, I'll just stay here. I don't care to move. It's my house, anyway."

"That's a ridiculous excuse."

"I agree." The oldest cracks up on the floor, doesn't care how that came across, doesn't care that she confirmed whatever her co-star implied. Surprisingly, the blonde gets off the couch, helps Yeji off of the floor and into an upright position.

"Are you hurt?"

"Who's asking?"

"Take a guess, asshole." Ryujin huffs out of annoyance, temporarily withdraws her hold.

As unexpected as that mere peck was on her cheek, she scoops Yeji up, one arm under the other's legs, and the latter under her back. The redhead latches onto Ryujin, wraps her arms around her neck in fear of being dropped, and she silently thanks whatever divine being prevented Ryujin from looking at her right now because she knows for a damn fact she couldn't have resisted taking advantage of the closeness.

"Which one is your room again?"

'She doesn't sound mad... ' Yeji averts her eyes just in case, can't bear the thought of meeting gazes, then points to the correct door without saying anything. Her co-star's strength isn't too surprising. After all, she's aware Ryujin has carried her once before during their time at the hotel together in the first couple of weeks. Although, she'd be lying if she said she isn't curious about her weight. "Am I heavy?"

Silence followed, however Ryujin was sporting a smug smile on her lips, and rather than feel an urge to get rid of it with a kiss, Yeji yells, "Hey!" She hits the girl, or more accurately put, she taps her, too afraid to actually let go and wind her arm because she doesn't want to fall.

"Relax. You're not heavy." Ryujin's sudden laughter doesn't make it any better, not to mention the way she carefully sets Yeji on the mattress.

Yeji can't help but stare, the gracious sound filling her ears and warming her heart. She's so zoned out, she doesn't realize how long she's been looking. There's no smile present, but her eyes are a dead giveaway. It makes Ryujin a little uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of this particular look. If she is to pair that with the way this peck came across, including Yeji's brief reaction at the gala, it almost seemed like—

"You have a beautiful smile."

'Maybe I'm right?' She thinks, but she doesn't want herself to be easily read, so she grins, covers it up. "So I've been told."

"You don't have to be so cocky about it. A thank you would've sufficed." Yeji reaches for a pillow and softly hits Ryujin's arm with it, too tipsy to use any real force, and finally, she returns the smile, lets what slipped out be what it may. She certainly has many complements to share. It should be okay to give at least one. It's not like her stepfather is here to hear it. "You're annoyingly cute, but I guess that's a part of your personality."

"Is it?"

"I think so."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No."

"No?" The blonde keeps the question simple, cautiously pries, seeking for confirmation to her thoughts.

"Mhm." Yeji pulls the blanket over herself, the curve on her lips still present as she gets comfy. "I like it."

'Huh... ' Ryujin unknowingly takes in the view. She doesn't like that alcohol is what gets her co-star loose enough to open up, but she's grateful to see this side of the girl. It truly feels like they've grown out of that petty rivalry. 'You have a beautiful smile too, Yeddeong.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 7.9K 55
Shin Ryujin and Hwang Yeji were close friends growing up until one began to develop feelings and push the other away, unsure how to handle her emotio...
31.5K 1K 20
University student Hwang Yeji finds herself in a fake relationship with rising Kpop soloist - Shin Ryujin. One problem? Yeji and Ryujin are exes. Ry...
83.2K 4.8K 62
Yeji had to deal with what's going to happen, her manager suggested to do it as pretend. Yeji thought that she would be fine with it but what will ha...
47.2K 1.8K 55
her, it's always been her. Shin Ryujin. Hwang Yeji worked at a small cafe shop near at her house. Shin Ryujin was a successful soloist in an industry...