One Thousand and One Nights (...

By Sugarcandy6

Once there lived a King who was heartless, who left a trail of broken hearts and he found a gem, a concubine... More

Prologue
One Moon
The Two Sisters
Three Truths
Four phrases of wisdom
Five elements for a bitter drink
Six feet under
Seven steps to tie a knot
Eight Gates of Heaven
Nine Celestial Bodies That Shine
Ten seconds till midnight
The Eleventh Hour

Twelve Good Men and True

603 40 6
By Sugarcandy6

     Dilruba sighed as she woke up, her body humming in a sweet ache. She stretched herself as her arm hit his sleeping form. She let her arm linger on his neck drawing circles.

   She realised he had never slept in her bed till the sun rose, he would always be gone by the time she woke up.

  But the past few days seemed like a dream, a beautiful blissful dream, either she awoke first or him and it turned into a game of waking the other up with sweet gestures.

   Her fingers brushed his hair which fell across his face. She smiled and acknowledged she waa truly happy. A sinister voice inside her cackled at her positive outlook. There was no Dilruba the whore anymore, she was a queen now.

    Anxiety filled her, was it possible to be happy. Someone like her? The faces and tears of many women flashed across her memories and she wondered had their curses turned ineffective?

    A hand wrapped around her face and pulled her closer. She turned to him and found him smiling as if he couldn't believe this too.

     He woke up from the bed dressing himself up and she got up dressing herself in a silk gown. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pressed her cheek to his back.

      He checkled, "You need to stop, you minx. I have an important meeting with the council today."

      "I don't wish to let you go."

    He turned to wrap his arms around her waist, "And I don't wish to go. But...I have to..."

    He cupped her cheek and kissed her forehead and he let go. He looked at her and mouthed the three words that tugged her heart and walked out of the room.

  ***

     Dilruba looked in the mirror, her eyes were wide and her face held a healthy glow. Her heart hammered as the anxiety was back. This seems too good to be true. She thought.

   Her thoughts snapped as the doors to her chambers opened and a wide eyed maid stumbled in. She shut the door.

   "I have been trying to reach you for three days but his majesty never left the room."

    Dilruba felt warmth creep her cheeks, they had been locked in for three days. "Who are you?"

   "I am Sienna your majesty." The girl pulled out a folded piece of paper out of her blouse and handed it to her.

   Dilruba took the paper and opened it, it was from the Zeraliyan king again.

  Dear Dilruba,

   When I heard of your injury, I had almost rushed my army towards your palace. If something out if sorts happens to you, I can assure you that the mad king would have to answer me.

   Are you well? Sienna will always be there to follow your every command.

   I am happy that you seem happy but something feels deeply wrong. Please don't let this concern of mine take offense in your heart for all of it comes from good will.

   I wish to cast away any doubts but don't you agree everything seems too good to be true? Perfect and flawless as if it's a farce? Is it just me?

  Your loyal friend,

Zaroon.

***

    Dilruba crumbled the paper and burned it as if that would make the words on the paper untrue. He was right. It seemed too perfect.

   Sienna helped her with a bath. She relaxed in the warm water but her mind seemed to run charged. She felt as if she was Bluebeard's wife, her curiousity and doubts had run amok but she had been right. The man was a monster.

   What about the mad king? She wondered how the issue waa solved. And if it was so easy why hadn't it been solved before? She remembered the east wing, the old woman and her eerie nightmare? How were her dreams so vivid?

   "Sienna, you remember a week ago, I fell in the bath? Do you know anything about that?"

   "Your majesty, I am but a servant..." She scrubbed her arm.

    "Speak freely."

    "As far as I remember and I talked to the other maids too, it is very strange. I remember Fareeda drawing you up a bath and dressing you up. She remembered you wore a green dress. But after a while we heard that you fell in the bath. Entry in your chambers were restricted until you were awake, your majesty."

   Dilruba's eyebrows knotted. She remembered him telling her that the servants had found her. The water sloshed in tub.

   "Where is Fareeda? I wish to meet her."

    "Your majesty, she hasn't come to work today. She is helping the villagers search for her sister. Her sister has gone missing."

    Dilruba felt her chest constrict. She remembered the past years. It hadn't always been like this. In the beggining, girls from the villages went missing left and right until they caught the king's guard kidnapping a girl. The matter was taken to court and it was compromised that lots would be drawn of girls and the name which was drawn, that girl would be a sacrifice to the mad king.

   How many girls were sacrificed like this?

   Dilruba felt paranoia creep in. Something was wrong. She shook her head. She was misunderstanding. Why couldn't she be happy when things were better?

   She was revered all around as the saviour queen. The saviour of all women. Dilruba laughed at her title. She was labelled a whore all her life, suddenly she was their saviour.

  Sienna dressed her in a deep blue dress. She chose diamonds to adorn her. Dilruba still balked at the idea of wearing heavy jewelry. She chose a simple pendant and a bracelet.

    She decided to explore the palace today. Maybe, something could soothe her soul and calm her mind because she was sure that being cooped up in her room was making her insane.

   What is that that queens did? She wondered. In the olden times, the queens held court too. But right now, she felt as a puppet, more like a show piece as to appease everyone.

  Before she had come to the palace she knew the anger that washed through the common people. All nobles and peasants alike were angry. Everyone was on the edge.

   The public anger had seemed to dip back now. All because of her. Because she lived.

    How is it this easy?

     Her footsteps stopped as she heard a bubble of laughter. She walked along the corridor and found him. Before she could call out him, she saw that he was with someone.

   She peered inside the room hidden behind the door. It was the same woman, she saw. She could remember her anywhere.

   On the day of the wedding, when she came rushing back, she didn't see servangs clamoring about searching for a missing bride. She saw that they had replaced her. Dilruba saw a girl as old as her. She was shaking under all the garments. Tears streaked her eyes.

    "Remove it and run." Dilruba has said.

    What in hell was she doing here? Dilruba wondered. She seemed different. She wasn't cowering or a weepy dame now. It was as if she was someone else entirely.

     "I want to thank you. For always thinking about me." She stood up and brushed his cheek lovingly.

   Her heart dropped. Heat pulsed through her viens. But the touch, the way they looked at each other did not hold the same passion as lovers. It seemed platonic almost maternal.

   "I would do anything for your happiness, sister."

     "I know that. I know."

  The woman turned back to look at her straight. Dilruba hid. Her heart hammered in her chest. Her head spun. What was going on? Sister? There was another woman in the library, she remembered. That was his sister too.

   But the mad king had only one sister. Why was she dressed as a bride? It made no sense to her.

   She walked back to her chambers quickly feeling dizzy.

   Sienna was still her chambers.

   "Your majesty." She came to help her seeing how pale she was. "I am fine. I am fine. Leave me alone."

   ***

  Dilruba didn't even know how the hours already passed. The maids were alrrady getting her ready for the night. The mirror reflected a queen in every aspect.

   Didn't you want to kill him? Didn't you hate him? Is your hate so weak? He killed your family. The voice whispered in her head.

   The mob killed them. She defended him. Even though she had been here with a twist of fate but she didn't regret it. She loved him.

   She was so engrossed in her thoughts, she didn't notice her maids leaving and a large looming presence entering the room.

   "You seem deep in thoughts."

   Her eyes moved towards the mirror. She saw his reflection and turned to look at him. "Just thinking about how my life has changed. "

     He kneeled down in front of her and kissed her palms with utmost devotion. "I was thinking that you should introduce me to your sister."

   His head snapped up. It seemed suspicious but she was aplomb.

   "She is very shy. Ever since the incident. But nevertheless, I'll ask her if she wants to meet you." He said.

  Liar. She wanted to say. He was lying. His smile hid a lot more than he revealed.

    "Well, tell me about your day. I have missed you." He said moving towards the table pouring himself wine.

   The liquid tickled in the cup. Two can play this lying game. She thought.

   "I went exploring around the palace."

   He seemed tense as if he was thinking of the right thing to say. She walked towards him and grabbed the chalice sipping its contents.

   He didn't mind grabbing another one. Her eyes looked at his mechanical motions.

     "And what did you find?"

      "Nothing. I felt sick after a few paces. I had to come back sooner than I anticipated."

  She gazed at him and saw that his shoulders loosened up. "You have been sick. You should rest."

    "I know, your majesty. But the room seems stuffy. Almost like a cage. There's nothing much to do. No one to talk to."

   His eyes met hers and it flashed guilt. "I am sorry."

   Her heart tugged, he genuinely meant that.

     "That's fine."

  To be fair, he did give her a chance to run away. She chose this. Choosing him meant choosing the gilded cage that came with it.

     "I have thought what I want for my third wish."

     A smile brushed his face, "Really? Tell me. Your wish is my command."

     "Why?"

    His eyebrows knitted.

     "Why? All those women that came before me. Why did they have to die in such a way?"

    ***

Vote and comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

466K 11.1K 26
This story takes place in medieval times, a cold-hearted ruthless king is obsessed over a young girl. The ruthless king captured the girl and brought...
212K 7K 15
He's 17. She's 16. He's the imperial prince. She's the daughter of a concubine. They both fell in love. What could go wrong? In 16th century India ev...
85 5 30
Let me tell you a story, once upon a time there was a girl, she grew up far away in a small village, when she was a young girl she was left on a door...
589 150 37
"ONCE UPON A TIME!" Every princess story starts with a lie but mine starts with RULES! I break the rules and I try not to be caught breaking them... ...