The Misunderstanding of Fate

By kteedee

After her mother abandons them, Luna and her father find themselves moving across the country. Being the new... More

Coming Soon!
Chapter 1 - Fate's beginnings
Chapter 2 - First Meetings
Chapter 3 - Fire
Chapter 4 - Shopping Trips
Chapter 5 - Pizza Parties
Chapter 7 - Reactions and Overreactions
Chapter 8 - Friendless
Chapter 9 - Shared Birthdays
Chapter 10 - Truths and Lies
Chapter 11 - Friendly Strangers
Chapter 12 - Short Friendships
Chapter 13 - Different Perspectives
Chapter 14 - Brewing Storms
Chapter 15 - Quick Friends
Chapter 16 - Deep Conversations
Chapter 17 - Meeting the Friends
Chapter 18 - Controlling Emotions
Chapter 19 - New Friends
Chapter 20 - Friendly Suggestions
Chapter 21 - Revelations
Chapter 22 - Festive Happiness
Chapter 23 - Christmas Day [Part 1]
Chapter 24 - Photographs and Protectiveness
Chapter 25 - Boxing Day Parties
Chapter 26 - Finally
Chapter 27 - Little Lies
Chapter 28 - New Years and New Feelings
Chapter 29 - New Years and New Friends
Chapter 30 - So It Goes
Chapter 31 - Jealousy, Jealousy
Chapter 32 - Reintroductions
Chapter 33 - Delusion and Doubts

Chapter 6 - Spilled Drinks

627 12 5
By kteedee

The unknown voice interrupts my wanted invasion into George's mind. It's not a welcoming voice, either, which doesn't help. The man sounds threatening with an almost rough tone as he spoke George's full name. Rough and full of dark amusement. Between the two of us, I quickly conclude that I'm the only one feeling unnerved at this voice. I watch as George's attention snaps from me and towards the man making his way towards us. Now that George isn't looking at me, my eyes find the man behind the strange voice. He has to be around our age, I think, but I didn't recognise him from school. From the all black outfit, shaved head, and the three little scars on his forehead, I'm sure I would have seen him in George's gang before. He'd fit right in.

By the time he reaches our table, his face has broken into a sickly grin. I'm finding the smile more intimidating than his unemotional face. So intimidating that I quickly check George is still sitting opposite me. When I scan his face, I can see he's contemplating something. Almost as though he feels my eyes, again, George's eyes return to me for a moment. He hasn't moved his head from his position facing the man but he quickly scans my face. Ah. My stomach drops at the realisation his internal debate involves me. As quickly as they find me, his eyes refocus on the problem in front of us.

Without waiting for a reply or recognition, the stranger continues the conversation, "What a surprise to see you."

George's lips purse, "Surprise?"

"It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"I'm not sure," he shrugs, "I don't care to keep track."

The man's smile drops slightly, "Now, now, there's no need to be so rude."

George looks bored now, "Trust me, if I was being rude you wouldn't be stood there smiling at me."

At that, the stranger slowly slides his eyes over me. I notice George sits straighter, looking taller, as he watches, "And you've got a lovely charm, too. What's your name, honey?"

Charm? My eyebrows furrow at the degrading and, ironically, rude metaphor. Who was this guy? Did he expect me to answer him after that?

George is now playing with his fork as he keeps his eyes planted on the stranger, "What do you want, Walter?"

Was that his first name? Last name? Was he a friend of George's? I mean, from the atmosphere I'm inclined to say no but you never know with George. Perhaps he was this way with all of his friends.

Walter smirks, "Just thought I'd say hello," he leans a little closer to George as he pretends to whisper, "Can I have her after you're finished? She'd look lovely in my bedroom."

The sinking feeling in my stomach churns until I feel physically sick. Well, that's me done with the lovely pizza. What a waste. Although he has an amused glint in his eyes, I know this Walter is one hundred percent serious. Honestly, did this usually work with other girls? Or did he have absolutely no experience? Either way, I know that if someone less intimidating had said those words I would have laughed at the absurdity.

George's jaw locks before he lets out a scoff. He's completely rigid now and I can feel the anger radiating from him, "Why would anyone downgrade after they've had me?"

Was this a bitch fight? Again, I'm sure I'd be laughing if they both didn't look so dangerous and serious. They sound ridiculous. And what was the outcome of this conversation?

At that thought, I watch as Walter reaches over to pick up George's drink. Okay, that's weird. Was he going to drink out of it? Oh. Yes, he is. Walter takes a sip, making a right show of it, while eyeing a fuming George. Alright, this was really getting silly now. We are just watching a random man drink out of George's cup.

In a split second I find myself going from confused, and a little scared, to completely shocked. George's drink is being slowly poured over my head as Walter holds the glass in the air with a happy smile on his face. My first thoughts are ones of mild wonder at the coldness of the drink. We had been here a while now, surely it shouldn't be this cold? However, the stickiness and smell are things I could have predicted. That doesn't lessen their effects. The temperature and shock makes me instantly stand as I inhale sharply. George mirrors my actions while looking much, much angrier than I'm feeling. Perhaps later I would be angry but now I'm just... cold.

"What the hell?" I exclaim but it's ignored. In an instant, George grabs Walter by the back of his hair. My eyes widen as I watch the man's head slam into our table with part of his face landing in the pizza. The action seems to shake me out of my shocked state as I quickly move from the booth. George doesn't stop there and continues to slam Walter's head into the table. I wonder why nobody is stopping him from beating the crap out of this guy in a public place? Even in my soaked state, with my skin becoming stickier every second, I know this has to stop.

"George!" He doesn't hear me. Either that or he's ignoring me and doing what he wants to do. "George, you've got to stop."

At my stern tone, he looks at me for a split second but, seeing my shaking body, that seems to further rile him up. While Walter's head is on the table, George slams his first into any accessible part of his face. So far, he hasn't said anything. Obviously Walter had been swearing or spitting out insults but George had remained eerily quiet. When he does start lowly talking in George's face, I give up. I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to listen to this. I looked ridiculous just standing here, watching, while being covered in liquid. The handful of people in their booths are at least attempting to look busy with their food but I can see the pity in their eyes. Suddenly feeling exhausted and extremely embarrassed, I turn to exit.

When I reach the cold outside, I wonder how the hell I'm going to get home. I wasn't completely sure where we were and I'm freezing. Perhaps I would have to find a bus stop and look for a street name I recognised. I knew I had to make a decision quickly because I didn't want to be around when Walter left the building. I could guess who he would take his anger out on.

As my converse hit the pavement, deciding on a random direction, I hear George call my name. My legs stop moving, even though my head wants me to keep going, but I refuse to turn to face him.

"Luna - Crap..." he reaches me and uses his large hand to turn my body in his direction. The anger I see on his face inspires my own as I push his hand from me. "Are you alright? He asks, giving me a once over. "Look, I didn't want you to see that. I wouldn't have done that ordinarily but I couldn't just let him get away with doing that to you."

He reaches for me again but I flinch instinctively. I know what those hands are capable of, especially when angry. George watches the action and pauses for a couple of moments. Again, I recognise the contemplative look on his face. His eyes are jumping around my face while his hands twitch.

The next time he moves, it's so quick that I can't object or flinch. He uses both hands to wrap around my waist and pull me close. Well, at least one of us didn't care about getting soaked. Now that I can feel his body heat, I'm aware of how cold I am. My teeth are chattering while the sinking feeling in my stomach heightens.

"I've never had a drink thrown over me before."

George pulls us closer so our bodies are mashed together. Every inch of my body meets his as I soak up his heat. Okay, I won't push him away just yet. "What a fucking asshole."

I cringe, "That was so embarrassing." I don't mean to but when I sigh, letting my eyes close momentarily, my head falls forward into George's chest.

"Can't I go back and finish the job?"

He's actually looking for acceptance or permission, which I appreciate, but I still shake my head against his chest. George exhales, letting out a sigh of his own, and I can feel the tension attempt to leave his body. Without asking, he lifts me from the floor and walks us towards his car. Okay, maybe I could get into the car with him. He was warm and the car would be dry and I was tired and George knew how to get home.

The heating is on full blast while he drives in silence. I know he's trying to calm down but the anger lingers. Every time I think of George watching me being covered in his drink, I feel myself flush in embarrassment. Sure it was embarrassing going through it but can you imagine if I could have seen myself while it was happening? The shock in my eyes and the drenched hair. This way, I never had to witness it happening to myself.

---------------------------------------

Everyone meet Walter... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 8.8K 62
She's rich, the perfect student, and graduating early. He's a heathen, a heartbreaker, and well he may never graduate... These all might be true, but...
513K 13.8K 29
It was dark until he lit the match. I thought he was lighting the way, but little did I know he was leading me to my death. **** Luna Ludwig is one o...
860K 24.4K 30
"They always say that a bad boy is like a fire and he needs snow to tame him and calm him down. Some may call me the snow to his fire. But that's not...
10.3M 253K 50
In which Mason James finds himself falling for the innocent and naive girl named Lily Rose. When Lily's parents decide to put her in public school...