Meant to Be

By LETollin

What's the number one bro code? Never steal your brother's girl. Ever. Just don't do it. It's wrong! But what... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 1

2.4K 35 6
By LETollin

Bill

"Bill." I lifted my head, hearing my name. My boss was standing in the doorway, his expression telling me I will not like what he is about to say. I nodded my head, inviting him in.

"I am sorry to barge in on you like this and trust me if I could, I would ask anyone else, but," he sighed and stopped avoiding my eyes, "this must get into the right hands and I trust you the most." My eyes went from his to the pile in his hands.

"You want me to go to Gringotts and deliver these papers?" I smiled. It wasn't a big deal. I did it all the time and I had an excuse to see her.

"I know you're supposed to go home tomorrow for the Christmas holidays and I always do this to you and..."

Derek was an amazing boss. He was strict and knew how to be harsh but deep inside he was the nicest person you can meet.

"Derek, it's not a problem, really," I assured him. I could see relief in his expression. "I wanted to go there before I leave to the Burrow anyway."

"You're finally going to do it?" He smirked at me. I felt my cheeks turn pink and I sucked in a breath. I had to keep it together in front of him even though he was the only one who knew I had a thing for Rhylee.

"I'm just inviting her to spend the holidays with my family. Nothing big." I lied.

"Oh, c'mon! Ask her out already!" Derek rolled his eyes. "I don't have enough paperwork for you to apparate from Egypt to London once per week to see her." He laughed.

"Ha-ha. Very funny. I'll ask her once we get back." I took the papers from his hands. "If she'll say yes, of course."

"You have been friends with her for almost 3 years and you fancy her for more than half of that, what's with the stalling?" He crossed his arms on his chest.

"Give me a break, it's complicated." I sighed.

"That's an excuse and you know it." He tapped my shoulder and started towards the door. "Just do it before you get even deeper into the friendzone." He said and walked out.

He was right. I was stalling and at this point, I didn't even know why I was doing it.

I met Rhylee almost 3 years ago when I was bringing a treasure chest to Gringotts. Because it was really valuable, I had to take it all the way down to the most secured vault. That was the first time I saw a dragon. I heard a rumor that the Bank had them guarding the most secured vaults in the entire facility but I thought it wasn't true.

I wasn't as big on dragons as my brother Charlie, but even I thought it wasn't fair to them. They were keeping them in the damp, dark corners of the cave systems. No sunlight, no freedom. And they were keeping them a secret. Only people who worked at Gringotts and a few others – Curse Breakers like me – knew about them.

I wasn't careful when I approached the vault I had to store the chest in. They forgot to tell me that I was supposed to announce myself to one of the dragon tamers so that they would hold off the creature. The dragon launched at me almost roasting me with its flames. It was Rhylee who saved me. I was lucky she was there to feed it.

She came out of nowhere and handled that dragon like it was nobody's business and she still managed to look beautiful while doing so. She asked me if I was insane and what I was doing so deep down – her wand ready to duel me.

She thought I was trying to break into one of the vaults. I didn't blame her. I was probably the only idiot who went so deep without an escort. I explained my business and she started laughing when she realized that nobody told me about the procedure of getting to the high-security vaults.

After telling me that I can't go down there unannounced, badge or no badge and that I always have to have one of the dragonologists with me if I don't want to be eaten, she accompanied me to the vault.

I encountered her a few more times after that and we always ended up chatting. Her determination and love for her job grew on me and I invited her for launch. We quickly became really good friends and I visit her every time I happen to be at the Bank.

My boss, Derek, accompanied me a few months ago when I was supposed to deliver another chest. I introduced him to Rhylee and he quickly caught on that I fancy her and I haven't heard the end of it since.

Because we discovered a new tomb, there was a lot of paperwork that needed to be delivered to Gringotts lately. Derek, knowing that I would be able to see her and because he trusted me the most, gave the job to me almost every time. I went from visiting Diagon Alley a couple of times per month to a couple of times per week. I felt like a mailman but I didn't mind. I could see and talk to Rhylee and I could have launch with her.

Even though we became such good friends I had trouble reading her that's why I was so hesitant to ask her out. I didn't want to ruin our friendship or make her uncomfortable but it was getting quite hard being just her friend. We are both single and at this point, I have nothing to lose.

She once told me that she is not that close with her family and wrote in one of her letters that she will probably work for Christmas. I think it's the perfect opportunity to finally ask her out.

I had everything planned out. I would visit her at her work before I leave for the Burrow. Since I have to go to Gringotts anyway I will visit her then. I will invite her to spend Christmas with me and my family. Even if I didn't fancy her, I wouldn't want a friend spending Christmas at work or alone. I will introduce her to my family and when we return I will ask her out before we part ways once we get back.

To say that I was nervous was an understatement. I had no idea what to expect. I don't know how she will react or what her answer will be. Rhylee puts animals above everything else. She loves her job more than anything and those two dragons in the vaults were more family to her than all her relatives combined.

She was very talkative but never told you more than you needed to know. I know all about her family and how annoyed she is that her co-workers don't care about the creatures as much as she does. I know she owns a Kneazle and lives with a roommate in a small apartment in London. She graduated from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic a year after I graduated from Hogwarts and she was sorted into Bellefeuille.

She never talked about any of her friends besides her roommate Lyla. I wouldn't even know she was single if I haven't met Lyla one day when Rhylee and I were having coffee in Diagon Alley and she teased her about one of her co-workers.

She didn't seem particularly interested in dating and never gave any signs that she might fancy me back.

That was probably the reason I was so hesitant to ask her out. I was afraid she would reject me, simply seeing me as a friend, and then it would get awkward between us. But as I said, my feelings for her are growing and I am willing to take the risk. If I can't gather up the courage to ask a girl out then I was sorted into the wrong house at school!

I took my jacket, grabbed the papers Derek left on my desk and apparated to London. Firstly, I took the papers to the goblin, which started to find me suspicious that I was always there.

"What is this?" The goblin bowed his head, looking at the papers I laid in front of him.

"Mr. Boweman said these need to be filed right away," I answered.

"And this is concerning?" The goblin continued, his eyes still on the pile.

"The new tomb in Luxor." I dreaded talking to him. He always looked at me as if I was up to something and it was making me uncomfortable.

"Right." He nodded. "Is there a reason he is always sending you?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

"He told me that he trusts me the most." I swallowed hard. This was worse than when my mother was mad.

"Isn't he aware of the rule that the messenger should always be a different person?" He questioned.

I simply shook my head. I had no idea if Derek knew this or not but I made a mental note to mention it to him. I didn't want him to get in trouble and I definitely didn't want to be interrogated by a goblin again.

"I don't know. I will make sure to ask him when I get back." I said quietly.

"Very well." The goblin sighed and swung his hand, indicating that I should leave.

I took a step backward before turning on my heel and leaving his office. I closed the door and leaned on the wall next to it. I waited for my breath to steady and for my heart to get back to normal. I don't know why but I was always intimidated by goblins. I would rather spend a week in a tomb fighting mummies in the dark than repeat that conversation.

Since I was at the office section of Gringotts I decided to check if Rhylee was at her desk before I go looking for her down at the vaults.

I made my way across the corridor and one floor up. I stopped in front of Rhylee's office and knocked on the door.

"Rhylee, you in there?" I checked my watch. A quarter to five. Of course, she wasn't. It was feeding time. "Damn it." I didn't like going down there.

"Bill!" I turned around and saw Lizzie – one of Rhylee's co-workers. "Are you looking for Rhylee?"

"Yes. She's with the dragons, isn't she?" I tried to smile.

"Yeah. She and the rest of the team are preparing for our new arrival." She grinned.

"A new arrival?" I asked puzzled.

"Didn't she tell you? We're getting a new dragon after the holidays." I wish I could look as excited as she sounded.

"Another thing to fear when I take the treasure down." I sighed.

"Don't worry, we'll protect you." Lizzie chuckled and tapped my shoulder. "Come on, I'll take you to her."

We made our way down to the vaults and I was relieved that we didn't encounter either of the dragons. It was a rare occasion and when I brought chests down here, I was always happy when it was feeding time. It was the only time I didn't fear for my life. Once you get attacked by the biggest species of dragons, you don't get over your fear so easily.

"Rhylee, Bill's here to see you," Lizzie shouted when we came to her group and took over for her.

"Bill! I thought you were supposed to travel home today." She beamed at me. Her smile was priceless and I couldn't stop my lips from spreading into one too.

"Paperwork, what can you do." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Derek can't let you go, huh." She chuckled. "Want to feed Kyan?" Her question sent shivers down my spine.

Kyan was the Ukrainian Ironbelly that almost turned me into dinner the day I've met Rhylee. She always did this to me if I came to see her during feeding time. She acted like the dragons weren't one of the most dangerous creatures on the planet and wanted to help me get over my fear.

"No, thank you." My voice barely audible, my eyes on the dragon.

"So what are you going to do for the holidays?" I decided to change the topic.

"As I wrote to you, I'll be working." Her eyes turning from me to Kyan.

"Why don't you come with me?" I was proud of myself for how confident I sounded.

"What?" Rhylee looked back at me.

"I'm inviting you to spend Christmas with my family." My heart started beating faster.

I hated that I couldn't read her expression at all. This is why I didn't ask her out yet. I could never figure out what was happening inside her head.

"Oh, Bill." A smile spread over her lips.

That was a good sign, right?

"That is so kind of you." She looked back at the dragon. "But I can't. Lizzie is taking time off and she is the only one I trust around here. You know that." She whispered, careful not to be overheard.

"Come on. When was the last time you had a day off?" I tried convincing her.

I liked the confidence boost I got all of a sudden.

"True." She sighed and bit her lip, thinking. "But I don't know how long it will take to prepare everything today. We are getting a new dragon." She jumped, clapping her hands.

"I heard. Lizzie told me." I smiled.

Seeing her so excited fluttered the butterflies in my stomach.

"I am sorry that I have to turn you down, Bill." She shook her head after a moment of silence. "I would love to meet your family but it's a bad time."

I tried hiding the disappointment for which I was sure could be seen on my face. This was not what I've planned. I didn't know they were getting a new dragon and I didn't know Lizzie wouldn't be here during the holidays. I was sure she would say yes and now I was without a plan.

"Listen," Rhylee's hand around my lower arm snapped me out of my thoughts as I was thinking of anything that could convince her to come with me, "let me see how things go today. Perhaps I can take a few days off if we finish preparing everything. Merlin knows I could use some free time." She said softly.

That made my day. There was still hope!

"Okay. I'm leaving tomorrow after work. Owl me?" I smiled and she nodded.

I told her that I will go back myself. I didn't want to disturb her work and the sooner she gets back to it, the sooner they can finish. I apparated back to Egypt and entered my tent. I didn't even have the time to take off my shoes when Derek entered.

"So, how did it go?" A smirk on his face.

"She'll owl me tomorrow. They are getting a new dragon, so I don't think she'll be able to get time off." I didn't want to get my hopes up.

It was better to think that she will have to decline my offer.

"A bunch of rubbish." Derek scoffed. "Why does she even have a team if she has to do everything on her own?"

"The only person she trusts is visiting family for the holidays," I answered.

"Then she needs a better team," Derek said.

I don't think that would help. Rhylee cared for those dragons more than I have seen anyone care for any animal. They were like her children and there was nobody good enough to trust them with except Lizzie. It was a miracle she even let her in charge from time to time.

"The goblins are getting suspicious." I changed the subject.

I didn't want to talk about Rhylee anymore. It was enough that nothing went according to my plan.

"What about?" Derek frowned.

"Apparently, there is a rule that the paperwork needs to be delivered by a different person every time." I raised my eyebrows.

"They're joking!" He laughed. He disliked the goblins as much as I did. "I'll send my grandmother next time, will that be better?" We both laughed.

The next morning I woke up to fluttering.

"What the..." I opened my eyes and saw an owl staring at me, its head tilted, with a letter in its beak.

"Thank you," I said sleepily and gently took the envelope. I got up and reached for owl food on the top shelf in my kitchen. "Here you go. For your journey back." I smiled.

I wish all creatures would be as lovely as owls.

I looked at the letter that I left on my bed and took a deep breath. I knew it was from Rhylee and I wasn't sure I was ready to read the answer. I wanted to tell her how I feel – I was ready.

I wanted to do it after the holidays and yesterday when I couldn't sleep I made up my mind that even if she would say no to going with me I would tell her when I come back. I had to at this point. I never had such problems with girls, not that I had many but I never hesitated so much to ask a girl out.

There was just something about Rhylee that made her stand out from all the rest. It wasn't just that she was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. It was the way she laughed. She never did if she didn't find something funny – she never faked it.

It was the way she spoke about animals – with sparks in her eyes. It was how she made you belong and how honest she was no matter what you asked her. It was her positivity – she always made me feel like everything was going to be alright no matter what problems I had.

If there was anyone I saw spending the rest of my life with, it was her.

I sighed and opened the envelope. "Come on, Bill. Don't be such a coward." I said to myself and spread open her letter.

Dear Bill,

I couldn't stop thinking about your invitation yesterday. I don't care much for the holidays but even I can't deny that Christmas at the Burrowyour home about which you told me so much aboutsounds so enticing.

We managed to prepare most of the things for our new arrival and I hope I didn't make a mistake trusting Erica and Simon with Dash and Kyan. I told them that if anything happens to my babies I will do much worse to them than just fire them!

So I guess I am saying yes to your invitation. I hope this letter gets to you before you leave. Apparate to my apartment before you go home so we can go together, if your invitation still stands, of course.

Love, Rhylee

PS. I might bring some paperwork with me. I have to fill out about 20 forms for the Norwegian Ridgeback we are getting. I might get a few days off but unfortunately, I can't avoid that! But you're right. I do need some time off. I would probably work 365 days a year if it wasn't for you.

I couldn't believe it. I looked up from the letter, my mouth open. I started reading it again just in case I missed her saying no. She said yes! She's coming with me. We're spending the holidays together!

This means so much more than just her going to meet my family. Even though she was quite a private person, I knew I was one of her closest friends and I know how hard it has to be for her to leave her work and leave the dragons with her team.

They were good at their job but they didn't care as much as she did. They did what had to be done and left the second they could. She never did that. She always stayed. Always checked everything twice, three times even. She always made sure everything was okay before she went home. Made sure the dragons were as comfortable as they could be down there.

This was a big deal, leaving them behind. Leaving them with Erica and Simon, to not only take some time off but to spend that time with me and my family. She could've easily stayed behind and said that she couldn't leave the dragons alone. But she did it for me and she was excited to meet my family.

I had to sit down, my heart was beating so fast as I read the letter for what seemed like the fourth time. I sucked in a breath and exhaled slowly. I must keep it together.

I was now completely awake and I finally stopped thinking about her. A thought came to mind as if I was forgetting something. What was I forgetting? Was there something I had to do?

PACK!

I didn't pack yet! I was so tired yesterday as I got late from work and I was going on and on in my head what would I do if Rhylee said no to my invitation that I completely forgot. I finally put the letter down, grabbed my wand, and started levitating clothes from my closet to my bag.

"So?" Derek barged into my tent as if he was living with me. "I saw an owl flying out of your tent. What's her answer?"

"She's coming with me." I buried my head into my sock drawer, pretending to look for something so that I could hide my red cheeks.

"I knew it!" He jumped. "I knew she fancied you back!"

"Slow down!" I laughed. "She only said yes to spending Christmas with me, I didn't ask her out yet."

"Right," Derek said slowly. "Spending the most family-like holiday with you and your family in your cozy and loving home, as if you even need to ask her." He winked at me.

I rolled my eyes at him. He might be right but I didn't want to get my hopes up. She could still just see me as a friend and just want to escape her work for a few days. This didn't mean anything.

"Can you get out so I can pack? You're worse than my mum!" I narrowed my eyes at him, my hands on my hips.

"I can't be. I love your mother but she can be scary." Derek took a step back.

He met my family twice and seen my parents a few times when they visited me. He was my boss and I respected him. He was one of the best Curse Breakers I have ever met and I was humbled that he was my friend.

But it was the funniest thing ever to see him afraid of my mum. Not only did I tell him stories of her rage when my siblings and I were younger but he experienced it first-hand when he visited the Burrow with me last Summer and my mum lost it when Fred and George set an entire box of fireworks loose in the bathroom while she was in the shower.

"Stop nagging me and let me pack in peace!" I tried imitating my mum but I don't think there was a person in the world who could do an impersonation of her.

"Alright, alright!" He laughed. "Say hi to Rhylee for me, will you!" He hurried out of the tent before I could throw a pair of socks at him.

I regret ever admitting to him I had a thing for her.

Now, where was I?

Packing, right!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 41K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
15.9K 781 18
Going through her Puberty, Y/n faces more problems than a normal teenager and Her being in The Universe of Harry Potter didn't make it better. She ke...
104K 2.3K 108
Charlie Weasley and Aurora Potter This is a rewrite of my 'In love with a Weasley' but I've added extra characters. Contains some sexual bits which w...
9.1K 195 30
The cover is entirely mine although the pictures were found on google ❤️💛 First off the plot is entirely my own although all characters except for y...