Writer's Block

By ScarletNostalgia

just me using random prompts to get over my block. hehe enjoy! More

Checkmate
Late Night
The Wrong Cafe

Too

3 2 1
By ScarletNostalgia

Sometimes love comes in the most unanticipated of ways.

The streets were laden with mid winter snow and her black boots crunched against it as she made her way towards the bakery.

The bakery had been around for a long time and was as old as the town itself.
Each winter, it would look for new bakers, a fact that was more exciting to the girl than the delicious goods it sold.

All summer and through the autumn months she had devoted her time to honing her baking skills. The motivation was strong, to be a part of a prestigious bakery, she wished to make a name for herself in baking even if just for one year.
One year doing the thing that she wanted, before going to do the things which had to be done.

The only love she'd expected to find was the love given to her food.
But life exceed her expectations.

The boy opened the door of the bakery and the bell jingled.
"Hello, Jake." The old lady at the counter smiled at the boy. He was a sweet kid, kind and mischievous.
He smiled back, "Hello Bertha."

He walked around the counter and picked an apron with the bakery logo on it and put it on.
He then proceeded to take his phone out and scroll through it as he leaned on the counter.

The day was slow, as it usually was in the mornings. But the rush hours would begin soon. The downside of a well known bakery.

The bell jingled.

He didn't bother to look up.

The person had some conversation with Bertha.

Footsteps softly made their way in his direction before stopping just a few steps again.

He looked up, smiling to be greeted with an equally, if not more, enthusiastic smile.
"Hello, I'm Emily, I'm here for the  baker position."
Jake nodded, "I'm Jake. Welcome! Follow me."
He said, walking around the counter again and going into the kitchen.
"As you know, I'll have to test your skills." He continued
She nodded, still smiling..
"Your test is to make six lemon muffins."
She nodded again, eyes wide with excitement.

Jake took out all the needed ingredients while telling her where the tools and ingredients were kept.

Then it began.

30 minutes on the clock.

Jake stood next to the door, arms crossed, leaning against the frame, as he observed her every move.

She was smart, she read the labels of the items and didn't use them blindly just because Jake had given them to her.
Which means she avoided a disaster.

She was confident, she didn't turn to Jake even once, not even for confirmation. She didn't hesitate.

Jake was quite satisfied with her skill level when he bit into a fluffy and moist lemon muffin 30 minutes later.
She had won extra points for a perfect sugary, lemony drizzle.

She had passed.

"Congratulations."
A smile broke onto his face, which had been void of any expression until now.
"You're hired."

"Yes!" She smiled, doing a little fist pump in the air.
"Should I start today?"

"I don't mind, we're a little short staffed anyway, since not a lot of new bakers came in." Jake admitted, shrugging.

"Do you think you can keep up with the rush though?"
Jake smirked as he rolled up his sleeves and washed his hands.

Bertha popped her head in at the exact moment.
"It's beginning."

She proclaimed, a light excitement in her voice.

Another baker came in a few moments after Bertha left.

"Sorry I'm late!"

"It's ok Tiffany, meet Emily our newest baker."

Pleasantries were exchanged.
Then the real test on Emily's prowess began.

Tiffany dashed in and out with the names of cakes to be replaced in the display section, Emily's lemon muffins which had been displayed became a hit and she had to bake 3 more batches.

Jake and her laughed and joked, befriended each other in a matter of minutes. As if they'd known each other for years.
Funny how rush hours can deepen friendships.

By the end of the 3 hour shift both were exhausted, but happy.

The oven tinged with the last batch as they washed up and closed the kitchen.

The bakery would run for a few more hours before closing.

Then they'd come back in the morning, and decide how much and what to bake again.

Jake and Emily talked all the way through cleaning up the bakery, hanging their aprons, putting on their coats and jackets and getting out the door.

Tiffany and Bertha gave them amused looks from behind the counter.

Jake offered to walk Emily back, seeing how they were going in the same direction.

Similar days continued till a fortnight passed in a happy blur.

Emily skipped into her house everyday.

The Christmas spirit was high.

In the afternoon she baked cookies for her own family.

It was Christmas Eve.

There was a buzz of anticipation and excitement throughout the town.

A jolly tune stayed in Emily's mind.

The shift ended.

Jake and her walked back, for the first time in silence. A pleasant silence though.

She liked Jake. He was a good guy, he was funny, and he could bake, perhaps even better than her. And for some reason she giggled every time she thought about him.

Everyone at the bakery were like a little family. A family that she was now a part of.

She smiled as she watched the clouds and the sky.

Just where their paths split, Jake spoke up.

The words surprised Emily.

She had just gotten herself a date!

They continued on, further than their usual route, going into a little cafe where they drank hot coco and talked.

Nothing seemed different though, they always talked.
Jake made her laugh as usual.

The suddenly the atmosphere became serious. The tension rose.

I really like you.

Jake's words echoed in her mind even though they had been said hours ago, as she walked beside him.

They had gone to the market, rode the Ferris wheel and eaten ice cream.

The date was about to end and Jake came up to her house for the first time.

They said their goodbyes and Emily started to go up to her door.

She felt a tug at her coat sleeve, a gentle tug almost missed.

But she stiffened.

Her stomach filled with butterflies at the thought of what was about to happen.

She turned around, her eyes held captive by his as she almost lost herself in them.

The look he was giving her was far more delicious than anything from the bakery.

He asked her a question, his lips moving in slow motion.

His lips.

She nodded, her expression moonstruck.

His lips turned upwards in a slight smile as his cold fingers gentle lifted her chin up.

He lowered his head and kissed her.

His lips warm and soft despite the biting cold. She melted into his embrace and pulled him closer. His presence like the coco they had had in the cafe. The feeling like the pleasant buzz of the market. The action as intimate as the silence in their compartment of the Ferris wheel.

It felt so right, and so good.

Her smiled stayed on her face minutes after he was already gone.

The warmth in her chest remained too.

She smiled as she lied back on her bed.

Her lips still buzzing pleasantly.

She liked him.

She really liked him too.

______

Hello!
Today's chapter is inspired by 2 Gone by CVBZ
Hope you liked it!
Love ya!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 1.1K 16
Rude. Dirty. S3x , bad words only in wattpad not public on social media, ⚠️ not for young ⚠️ Writer by : SIE
15.4K 234 30
Some Chenford stories.
27.2K 365 58
A WOSO Oneshot book Oneshots of favourite Women's footballers Mainly the Lionesses, Arsenal Women's team,Chelsea Women's team, Man City Women's team...
62.6K 1.1K 22
Aurora Rossi no one ever carried about her growing up except her mother her father really never wanted to have a girl so he ignored her so does her b...