The Crossed Rose - GoT - R.S.

Bởi OneandOnlyElla

There she had stood, in place of her son, asking Lord Frey to let them pass by their bridge and they'd be on... Xem Thêm

Prologue: The Crossed Rose
Lady Stark
We stand together
Whispering Woods
King in the North
Crown
The name or the heart
A King in every corner
Until the end of my days
Home
Mother
I swear it
Reunited
Broken promises, kept vows
Terms of surrender
Stone by stone
Blueberry pie
Curse of Harrenhal
Grim, ferocious and dark
Martyn and Willem Lannister
Lies of betrayal
Who passes the sentence
Walder Frey
Harrenhal and a marriage
A good man
Namesake
Now and forever
Winter is coming
Young Frey girls
Embroidery
Passion fruit
A chance
Rains of Castamere
Hard to trust
Epilogue: The River Wolf
If Walder Frey wasn't a little b*tch

Riverrun

1.4K 48 9
Bởi OneandOnlyElla

Dahlia found it sweet how much Robb cared for her. In a way, it was almost irritating, but endearing at the same time. After all, he should be leading the party at all time, being the King and all, but, every once in a while, he would fall behind a little until he met with Dahlia and Jeyne as they rode side by side in the middle of their army.

"There's no need to check on me so often, your Grace." Dahlia told him once, when Robb kept his horse as close as possible to that of his wife's.

Grey Wind walked in between the two of them, their horses far too used to presence of the direwolf to even care much anymore. Lady Jeyne and her horse still startled at Grey Wind, though, and Dahlia made sure to have Willaman holding onto her mare's reins whenever Robb and Grey Wind came to check on her.

"You are my wife and you are carrying my child, my love." Robb had argued, his eyes stern but his tone playful. "You shouldn't even be riding to begin with."

"I'm fine, love, don't worry." Dahlia assured.

And she was. Fine, that is. But the ride from Harrenhal to Riverrun was a long one and with Robb making sure to give Dahlia plenty of time to rest, their party would be taking a while longer to get to their destination.

Robb had confided in Dahlia one night, after they had set camp at a clearing in the woods they were traveling. As they held each other in their tent, underneath their furs, Robb had told his wife his worries.

"Lord Karstark seems to think all of this is a waste of time." He said, as Dahlia frowned a little and looked up at Robb from where she had been resting her head against his chest.

"This is your grandfather's funeral." Dahlia pointed out as Robb sighed, running a hand through his hair.

He clearly agreed with her. But how to convince great Lord Karstark?

"He seems to be of the opinion that if we're not marching into battle with the Lannisters, it is a waste of time." Robb said.

"Well, Lord Karstark seems to think that anything that doesn't end with him getting his hands on the Kingslayer again is a waste of time." Dahlia pointed out.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean..." Dahlia sighed, as she sat down on the bed, the upper half of her body covered just barely by a silky robe. "I mean that he seems to have forgotten that there's a war around us and only cares now for his own vengeance. I mean... I understand his anger, truly, I do. But he needs to understand that we can't just march right up to King's Landing and expect to win. I wish to see the Lannisters out of that Throne just as much as he, but I understand that, right now, this is not possible."

Robb smiled at her then, sitting up as well to prop himself up on some pillows behind him and pulling Dahlia to lay back against his chest again. Almost unconsciously, Robb's hand traveled down the curve of Dahlia's hip before slipping to her front, falling flat against her stomach. Robb's smile widened even more, if that was possible. Their Maester had said Dahlia had been almost three moons along her pregnancy when it was confirmed back at Harrenhal which meant that, now, with every passing day during their ride, the little swell in her belly grew more and more. It was still small, nothing but a little bump, but it was there. His child, protected in the stomach of his wife.

And, for a moment, all thoughts of Lord Karstark and the war outside slipped from his mind. For a moment, all that matter was Dahlia and her warmth as she laid with him and their babe in her belly.

But only for a moment.

"You don't think this is a waste of time?" Robb asked, his finger tracing over Dahlia's stomach as she smiled at the tickling sensation his touch left on her skin.

"No." She answered simply. "If not because of your familial ties to them, then because the Tullys have been good allies to us. Not coming to their liege Lord's funeral might have offended them beyond repair."

"I wish everyone could see it the way you do." Robb sighed as Dahlia cooed gently at him, reaching her hands up to thread her fingers through his curls.

"Lord Karstark is a soldier, love. Like most of the Lords in our army. They don't particularly care for the politics of it all." She shrugged. "For them, a war is only a war in the battle field, but they need to learn that, sometimes, a war can be fought with words and agreements instead of blood and swords."

Robb nodded then, a rather impressed smile on his face as he looked at the woman laying on his chest.

"You taught me that, you know?" He asked, his voice just above a whisper as he kept on caressing her skin. Dahlia frowned then, lifting her eyes to meet Robb's as he chukled and leaned down to press a kiss to her lips. "I used to think wars were just battles and blood. My Father and my Mother taught me enough of the politics so that, when I became Lord of Winterfell, I would know how to rule. But no one taught me the intricacies of war. Granted, they both hoped I wouldn't need it, but alas... Mother tried to help me a little with that. When we reached the Twins, most of my men wanted to just breach your towers and take it by force. It was Mother's idea to try for a compromise."

"I remember." Dahlia nodded. "I remember the afternoon your Mother spent at the Twins, talking to Father, reaching an agreement. She was good at it. Politics, I mean. I admired her for it. I still do."

"Yes." Robb nodded, his eyes losing a little of their usual glimmer as it usually did whenever Catelyn was mentioned in conversation now. "She helped me some. But it was thanks to you that I learned most of what I know today, especially of the south. You taught me about the Riverlands and the Reach and even King's Landing. I have never stepped foot in the place, you know? And if it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't even know what the damned Keep looks like."

"Well, you got off lucky, then, I suppose." Dahlia smiled at his words. "The Tyrells have always tried to make a good impression on anyone, so it was only obvious they would travel quite a lot. It was lucky of me that Margaery would insist on taking me with them wherever they went."

"Lucky for me too, then." Robb smirked a little when Dahlia smiled.

"Lucky for you."

And, after that conversation, Robb had started to feel a bit better about his decision to attend his Grandfather's funeral at Riverrun. He had tried to explain to Lord Karstark and Lord Ryswell of his position with the Tullys but it was clear they still weren't very pleased. Robb didn't mind anymore, though, considering they were still riding with him in spite of their divergent opinions and also considering he was, more often then not, finding himself riding with Dahlia, now that he had an excuse to be there.

After all, who would stand on the way of their King to be with his Queen that now carried their future princess or prince along with her?

"I feel fine, Robb. There's no need for a stop, I promise." Dahlia rolled her eyes when Robb asked if she wanted a moment to rest.

"I don't believe you." He accused playfully, to which Dahlia scoffed. Beside her, Lady Jeyne giggled. Turning to look at the woman, Robb leaned foward in his horse a little so he could set his eyes on her instead of on his wife for a moment. "Is she truly alright, Lady Jeyne?"

"Robb!"

"She seems alright to me, your Grace." Jeyne responded, still amused by the couple's interaction.

"You would tell me if anything changed, wouldn't you, my Lady?" Robb asked. "Heavens knows Dahlia wouldn't."

"Yes, I would." Dahlia argued. "Stop treating me like a child."

"You are a child." Willaman teased from his post by Jeyne's horse as Dahlia kicked one of her legs in his direction.

"And you are far too petulant for a Lord Commander of my Queen's Guard." She said, as Olyvar laughed quietly as well, from his own place beside Robb. "You all are, mind you. I could have your heads for that."

"You would never." Willaman smirked.

"Do not test me, Willaman." She playfully glared at her brother as everyone else around her laughed. "Now, my love... You should go back up front of the party. We should be arriving at Riverrun by sundown, shouldn't we? And they need you more than I."

"You are certain you are alright?" He asked again, as Dahlia nodded.

"I am, my love." She assured. "And if anything changes, Lady Jeyne will let you know, I swear it."

"Good." Robb nodded as he sent one last grateful smile at Lady Jeyne who just nodded back at him. "Because we can't have anything happening to our future heir, can we?"

"No." Lady Jeyne said, a thin smile on her lips as she gripped the reins of her horse a little tighter when the mare stumbled a little. "No, we cannot."

***

Catelyn was still a prisoner of course, but not even Lord Karstark could deny her the freedom that afternoon so she could properly say her goodbyes to her Father.

So, there they were, the most well ranked Lords and Ladies of Robb's army as Lord Edmure, Lady Catelyn and the Blackfish crouched down beside a boat to get Lord Hoster ready to sail off. Dahlia and Robb stood side by side a few feet behind them, letting the family have a moment with their dead as Olyvar prepared the fire and the arrows that Lord Edmure would soon be shooting once the Tullys pushed Lord Hoster down the river.

After a few moments of mourning silence, Catelyn finally stood up and walked toward where Robb was standing.

"Will you help my Uncle send my Father off?" She asked him and Dahlia noticed Robb hesitated for a moment.

"Won't you do it, Mother?" He asked, as the woman sighed queitly.

"I do not think I have the strenght now." She admitted and Robb nodded then, stepping away from her and his wife to walk into the river a little to help the Blackfish with his Grandfather's boat.

Dahlia stepped closer to Catelyn when she heard the woman sniffle. She knew she was trying her very best not to break right then, but she was hurt and upset. And, sure she was a prisoner, but she was her husband's Mother still and she loved her as keen in any case. So, stepping closer to her, Dahlia offered Catelyn her arm so she could hold it and support herself a little against her in those troubling moments.

Catelyn didn't take her eyes from her Father's boat but when she squeezed Dahlia's arm affectionately, she knew she was grateful. So the two women stood there, side by side and ignoring all the stares on them as they watched Robb and the Blackfish carefully pushing Lord Hoster's boat out into the river. As soon as it started to float away, Catelyn sighed quietly.

"Do you feel well, my Lady?" Dahlia whispered over at Catelyn as the woman simply nodded.

"Thank you, sweetling." She whispered back at her, nodding gratefully at Robb as soon as he walked back toward them, standing on Dahlia's other side with a hand on the small of her back for security.

Dahlia nodded then, comforted by the Starks presence around her, but keeping an eye on Lord Edmure as he pulled out a bow from his back before lighgting one of his arrows on the fire Olyvar had put up and knocking it. He breathed in and out once, aiming for his Father's boat before letting the arrow loose. Dahlia's eyes followed the arrow, but she quickly averted her gaze when, instead of sticking into Lord Hoster's boat, the arrow fell on the river instead.

Lord Edmure shifted uncomfortably in his feet, but he had no option but to try again. So, reaching for another arrow, he repeated his process, only to miss again. From beside her, Dahlia heard Robb letting out a quiet chuckle. Catelyn turned to her son with a glare and Dahlia used her free arm to nudge him quietly.

Robb coughed quietly to cover his slip, then, but Lord Edmure had apparently heard it and he hesitated before reaching for another arrow. Before he could even try, however, the Blackfish pushed him aside, grabbing the bow from his nephew's hands and lighting up another arrow, before knocking it and letting loose in one swift motion.

The Blackfish didn't even bother waiting. As soon as the arrow was in the air, he shoved the bow back into Lord Edmure's hands and walked off, not turning back to look at his brother for one second as he walked off. Catelyn couldn't seem to take her eyes off her Father, however, and, as soon as the Blackfish's arrow hit the boat and it caught fire, the woman beside Dahlia let out a heavy breath, almost as if relieved.

Dahlia casted her eyes down for a moment, allowing Catelyn and Lord Edmure some time to mourn, but, soon enough, once Lord Hoster's boat was out of sight down the river, the people started to disperse, all headed to the Tully's castle where Robb and his men would regroup eventually.

Catelyn was escorted out by Robb's guards as she would be wherever she went. Robb didn't feel right locking his Mother up in a chamber in her own family home so they reached a compromise instead: she'd be free to go as she pleased, but she'd be accompanied at all times by at least four of Robb's soldiers of his choosing and she would not be allowed outside of the castle's walls under any circumstances. Catelyn agreed to those terms easily and so, as she walked back to her old castle after her Father's funeral with the four guards Robb had named for those first few hours, Lord Edmure walked beside his sister as they talked quietly.

Some meters away from them, Dahlia could see Lady Jeyne being escorted to Riverrun as well by Lord Bolton, with whom she had, apparently, built a weird sense of trust and with who, more often then not, she'd find herself talking to when Dahlia wasn't around. At the start, Dahlia had found it weird that such a gentle lady as Jeyne would be taken so dearly by cold, harsh Lord Bolton, but he distracted her enough when she couldn't so she would not be the one to meddle with it.

As she walked beside Robb toward the castle, she had to admit she was grateful for it. Her feet hurt that afternoon, after standing for so long, but she knew she would be found a chair as soon as she stepped foot in the castle, so she didn't complain.

"It wasn't very kingly what you did earlier." She said, her tone playful, but her eyes stern enough so that Robb understood she wasn't just joking this time.

"I know." Robb admitted.

"Your Uncle was grieving." Dahlia pointed out. "It's no surprise he missed the arrow."

"I know."

"You owe him an apology."

"I know." He repeated, sounding more like a boy in that moment than a King. Dahlia chuckled.

"Good." She said, as Robb rolled his eyes, making sure to keep his arm steady for her as they made their way through the muddy way from the river to the Tully's castle. "I just wanted to make sure you knew."

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

126K 5.1K 47
"To run with the wolf was to run in the shadows, the dark ray of life, survival and instinct. A fierceness that was both proud and lonely, a tearing...
56.9K 1.4K 23
Vitoria Martell had one goal in her life: gain revenge for the murder of her aunt and cousins. 𝙰𝚛𝚛𝚢𝚗. 𝙱𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚘𝚗. 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛. �...
2.6K 184 21
"When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." Ned Stark didn't realize how many of his children would be...
887K 30K 82
Fianna Bua, Lady of House Bua, never thought that she'd be riding off to war for the liege lord she hadn't even met. But oaths are oaths, the Buas ha...