1|| Behind the Broken Truth

By -esmxthyst

They call you crazy when you see things they don't. When you hear things other's can't. When you KNOW things... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Epilogue

Chapter 11 | ⚠ TW ⚠ |

25 11 3
By -esmxthyst

I was the first to grab the trapdoor and swing my legs over to get out. Ignoring the footsteps behind me, I focused only on the direction of the sound. Pure adrenaline propelled me towards the living room.

A strange mix of sounds and shrieks seemed to echo through the house. Some alive, some faded memories. Some forgotten and vengeful. My mother's wasn't the only paranormal body around here.

I could hear Evelyn and our (possible) dad in pursuit. Somewhat comforted by their presence, I steeled myself for whatever could be out there. 

I was ready. 

I was wrong.

Thinly trailed, was a line of blood. Flashing back to the laugh and the scream, I somehow knew what was coming before it did. 

At the end of the trail was a pool. There was a person standing over it.

On the pool was an axe.

The same one that had been used to dig up my "grave."

I only daringly raised my eyes to the final item at the end of the trail. 

Millie lay sprawled out on the floor. The trail of blood had started from her stomach, where she had probably been hit by Andrew's axe. Her eyes had rolled up all the way. It was a sickening sight. Behind me, Evelyn suppressed a gag and clutched my shoulders. She was shaking.

My heart was beating fast and my legs had turned to jelly. Our dad froze for a few moments. They were probably the longest of my life. Who knows what would have happened if we'd just ran away then and there?

But instead of doing just that, dad decided to show himself. Evelyn ducked further along the walls. I propped her up and followed. Andrew turned towards us. Instead of looking remotely surprised, he just looked resigned.

"Still trying, are you? Just give up already. You know the battle has been won. But not by you."

Possible-dad locked his jaw, then opened his mouth to speak. "You're wrong. Do you think the truth you tried so desperately to hide could never be uncovered? You underestimated the strength of the mind, Andrew. Your empty promises to Jennifer were hidden purely based on strength of the body. But Jennifer had something more than you. She had wisdom. And that's what's going to get us out of here."

Andrew had listened with interest, but continued dismissively. "But she's dead, isn't she? Her 'wisdom' can't save you now? You can have unraveled the truth I tried to break, but you won't be able to do so if I finish what I started. You know, kids, what you see on Millie is what happened to your mom."

Evelyn gritted her teeth. I could tell she was done with crying. She had done enough of it today. "You know what's different between you, the truth, and I? The truth can be broken, your sanity can be broken, but mine cannot."

"Brave words. You sound a lot like your mother. Honestly kids, I liked you. I really did. But you're getting in the way."

He picked up his axe and started to proceed towards, us, but dad interrupted him again. "Stop."  And he cupped one of his eyes with his hand and blinked so that both his eyes turned green. Finally, he grabbed his beard and gave it a tug. Instead of crying out in considerable pain, the beard simply fell off.

Andrew stopped again.

And I recognized the face I had known for such a long time, but somehow forgotten.

I knew it. I knew it, I knew it. 

I watched our dad knock out the axe from this psycho killer's hand.

But he wouldn't hold up for too long. It just wasn't right. And we didn't have enough time. I had so much to ask our father, and a strong desire to just get rid of Andrew. 

One step at a time.

I frantically searched the pockets of my green hoodie and found a crumpled paper ball. Realization hit. It was the acrostic. It was enough to freeze him for another few minutes. I held it up. "Take a look at this, Andrew," I suggested.

Just as I'd hoped, he turned to look at me in turn. "What's that? Show me, now."

"Are you crazy? Nevermind, of course you are. But no way am I approaching you. I'm going to throw the ball and you can catch it and read it yourself," I snapped. The ball flew through the air and he caught it.

He unfolded it and his eyes scanned the paper and the bolded words. Horrible realization crossed his face and he closed his eyes. "Ah. An acrostic. How extremely intelligent of her. Of course her grieving children would want something like this to remember her by."

And without warning, from his seemingly peaceful stance, he grabbed his axe and almost caught me on the shoulder. I somehow caught his hand, which was dripping with blood, and looked him straight in the eye. However, I knew he would overpower me soon.

A voice crossed the room. "Up to your old tricks, are you Andrew?"

He loosened his hold and I took this time to clonk him on his head with my knuckles. Apparently I was stronger than I thought, because he collapsed. 

Dad, who was preparing to make a move, stared. Jacob bit his lip and beamed. "You did it! You got rid of him. Now we can just hand him over to the police, and mom's spirit will be free."

And yet. They were so very happy, but I knew they were wrong. Before I could object, he started pulling me into the front yard along with dad. "Come on! We have so much to ask you." 

That was true. I supposed I could risk that. We kicked Andrew's body aside and made towards the door.

We settled onto the wet grass (it was pouring outside). "Dad, can you tell us why you ran away and how you came back?"

He nodded. "Yes. Your mother was somehow convinced she was going to die, no matter how much I tried to convince her otherwise. She told me to run if you guys ever told me she was sick. I had to promise her. After all, I loved her more than anything else. So I did exactly that. She told me it was for your good. Eventually, I learned about your new surroundings. Imagine my surprise when I learned you had actually moved in with family friends Andrew and Millie. And better yet, you lived in the house we used to-"

"So that's why you know your way so well around," Jacob interjected.

"Yes, I suppose so. Well, anyways. I knew how much a beard can change someone's appearance, so I created a fake one and put on eye contacts. I was honestly a little shocked when you both failed to recognize me."

I smiled sheepishly. "I suppose we were both stuck in our own worlds, moping around."

He grinned back. "Yep. And you know the rest."

My smile disappeared in an instant. "You guys. Is mom's spirit gone yet?" And as if an answer, she appeared in front of us and vanished in a flash. 

Jacob's eyes widened. "Wait, so we haven't unlocked everything yet?"

I shook my head thoughtfully. Another lightbulb went off. "You don't suppose our job was for us to face Andrew? Maybe it was hers. I've been thinking about this for a while. Jacob, do you think I can contact mom personally?"

Jacob looked taken aback. "But you just did! Mom appeared when you wanted her to."

Realizing he was right, I stood. "Right. So I need to go back upstairs. Andrew escaped. I can feel it."

Dad firmly disagreed. "No way. I've just gotten you back."

"But dad! What if he did escape. You have no idea what danger we're in!" I protested.

"Trust me, I do, which is why I am not letting you go alone."

"Dad, think about it. Who's name did mom mention most with this whole business." 

He stopped. "Yours," he admitted reluctantly. 

"Exactly. So don't you think I have some importance in this?"

"Alright. I suppose so," he concluded. "Be back soon."

Jacob nodded solemnly. "Please, Ev."

I forced a smile. "I'll be right back. I promise."

So, I headed for the door, pushed it open, and looked to the floor on the right. Exactly as I'd expected, Andrew had escaped. Another clunk made me whirl towards the attic steps. He was ascending quickly up them. I had promised Jacob and my dad, the two most important living people to me, that I would be back. But maybe I would. 

So I stopped, and thought one last time. Was this right?  I took another deep breath, stoned myself, and followed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 95 29
A psycho killer who kills with a hidden agenda for fun but yet to be revealed. Casey, an FBI agent in secret is investigating on this unsolved myster...
74 35 22
When a family argument goes down, it results in a murder. Once they help cover it up, there's no going back. But behaviour progresses and secrets are...
626 8 36
Mayrose. A town where the modern worship the rich, and the rich belittle the modern. But it's also a town of secrets. A town where if one rumor star...
Vapid Eyes By _.brxndon.x

Mystery / Thriller

64 16 14
Forgive thy sins. Of the ones who; lied, murdered, thieved and swore. And swear by to protect thee from the devil....