Camping Fling

By G_MovingBy

Marissa Allen dreaded the idea of spending a few days camping with her family and their neighbor. She was a c... More

The Beginning
Rained In
Brick by Brick
Second Idiot
Wishing Star
Back To The Start
Bonfire Fireflies
Run Away
Dark Prince
Thank You Note!

En-route!

262 10 2
By G_MovingBy

The next day we got up early for the trip. In fact, it was too early that even the street lights were still on and the rest of the neighborhoods were still asleep. I put on the jeans that I wore last week, a red t-shirt and a black hoodie. Topping it off with a toque and converse. A pretty outdoorsy kind of look, I think. Unlike my sister who chose to wear her orange onesies and my mom who chose to wear leggings instead of something comfortable. I mean it was only camping not a fashion show. We made our way to our backyard where my dad had parked the RV.

"This is it! This is it!" Nancy yelled as she ran towards the RV. She was carrying her ladybug pillow pet and pulled her pink luggage. Nancy was anything but dull that day.

Jake and his parents were already standing beside the RV with their backpacks. His dad was wearing the same exact clothes as my dad, faded jeans, comfortable shoes, a shirt, and a jacket. They almost looked similar, minus that my dad is a redhead and his dad had a squirrel growing on his top lip. His mom on the other looked too prepared. Her hair was in a ponytail, a striped pink long sleeve and waterproof pants.

"Is jake's mom going canoeing?" My little sister whispered. I smiled back at her as she watched jake's mom change her runners to water-proof rain boots. The amount of preparedness his mom had is the opposite of my mom.

"Okay, everyone!" Jake's older sister Agnes called out to us as she pushed her big suitcase between my sister and me.

"I'm ready" she smiled and posed as if someone was about to take a picture of her. She stood in front of the RV her hair freshly straightened.

Agnes the source of all evil. Ever since she got her braces off and started wearing contacts she has done nothing but insults me and my wardrobe. She wore a lilac-colored halter top with a floral pattern on it, topped by a brown blazer and denim jeans. Guess she's dressed for Europe rather than camping.

"Seriously Ag?" I heard Jake's sleepy voice behind me.

"We're going camping not malling." He shook his head.

"Whatever," Agnes said, her voice was filled with attitude.

"You have to make sure you look good no matter what you look like." She added.

"I mean not everyone can pull this look off" she looked at me as if it was supposed to be an insult.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's just get going." Jake said as he got on our RV and his sister followed. That is when I realized that I was going to share a space with Agnes for 5 hours. No, no, no. Anything but that. I can tolerate Jake but not Agnes. Plus isn't it enough that I am sharing a tent with her.

"C'mon Marissa!" My mom called me from the RV. I quickly grabbed my backpack and ran into the RV.

"Mom! Mom! Mom!" I tried getting my mom's attention as they tried to settle in. Of course, Agnes hogged the washroom for an hour and jake took most part of the couch forcing me and Nancy to squish on the other couch. I don't know why they couldn't ride with their parents.

"Marissa. You were calling me?" My mom yelled from the front seat.

"No. It's okay!" I yelled back.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm good" I replied to her putting a thumbs up with it.

The first two hours were awkward. We were all minding our own business. Eventually, Nancy had fallen asleep and out of nowhere, Jake offered to carry her to the back where the beds were. I have to say, that it's agonizing to watch a football player trying to carry a ten years old girl in an RV. Especially when the hallway was so tiny.

"Thanks," I said when he put my sister down.

"No problem." He said with a smile. Oh, take note that smile is what all the girls at school talk about. One thing Pasyley, our head cheerleader, liked about him. Seriously, I don't see what's so special about it. It looks normal. Maybe because I've seen that smile since kindergarten.

"Hello?" He said. I looked at him. "Now don't tell me you're falling for this smile." He said with a smile.

"How arrogant." I pushed him out of the way and went back to the front of the RV. I sat in front of Agnes and watched her do her nails. I may hate her, but I'm amazed at what she can do with a needle and cotton balls. The nail art on her nails looks cool. For being done in a moving RV.

"Marissa!" Jake came up behind me.

"What do you want?" I looked at him weirdly.

"Still the same, I see" taking the couch.

"What's that suppose to mean," I asked him.

"It means you still get scared." He said putting his headphone on. Me scared? Really? I am not scared. I stopped being a scaredy-cat along time ago. Of course, the one a few minutes ago didn't count, cause who would expect he'd do that. I only talk to him once in a while. Not like back then where our moms would call us twins cause we're inseparable.

My dad pulled over at a gas station to refuel the RV. UGH! Two more hours! By the time we get to the campsite, it'll be dark soon. Oh yeah, what campsite? They choose a place off the map! I mean if my friends were to try and find me they couldn't, but like I said I can't complain. I got off the RV to get some air. My sister was still sleeping, Agnes was drying her nails and jake went to the store to grab some food. Hungry teen boys. So glad I don't have a brother. I don't know how to handle their weirdness. I waited for my dad to finish re-fuel the RV when Jake came stood beside me. Cheetos on one hand and beef jerky on the other.

"Wants some?" He said, offering me beef jerky.

" 'Fraid she ain't taking that son." My dad said with the most embarrassing southern accent while he was still standing next to the gas pump.

"Why not?" Jake said as he put away the beef jerky.

"Marissa is a vegetarian." My dad replied.

Jake looked at me. "Your vegetarian?"

"Yeah. What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing. Nothing." He shook his head then went back to the RV.

"What's his problem?" My dad asked me.

"I don't know." I smiled at him as I went back to the RV.

It took a couple more minutes for dad to re-fuel the RV. Within those minutes my mom manages to finish knitting a scarf and a blanket. All for me she says. Talk about embarrassing. Agnes has now moved on to her toes which she calls piggies. I have now taken over a whole couch and covered it with novels that I plan to read, starting with Charles Dickens to Dia Sije, throughout the ride.

"Okay, guys! Let's hit the road." my dad has finally finished re-fuelling the RV.

The sun has started to disappear, instead dark rain clouds took over it. Summer weather? yeah right. Great, it's raining and we are nowhere close to the campsite yet. The RV started to become less noisy as we all drowned out into our own world. Mom still knitting. Agnes talking to her piggies. UCK. Jake changing channels and I reading.

"I still can't believe you're a vegetarian Marissa," Jake said as he threw his football to me.

"You're a vegetarian?" Agnes quickly repeated her brother's question.

"Yes," I replied to them.

"OMG! Is it hard?" Agnes gushed and sat next to her brother.

"I don't know. It's easy I guess."

"How long have you been a vegetarian?" Jake asked me.

"Since grade 9"

"OMG! I totally want to be a vegetarian." Agnes said.

"Please. You love meat Ag, that's why you have these flabby arms" Jake teased her sister.

"They are NOT flabby." Agnes snarled at him. " they're just not toned. Know the difference little brother." She finished her sentence and went back to her spot.

"How come I never knew this?" He ignored his sister's comment. Was he suppose to know?

"Jake we haven't been the best of friends for a while," I said. Reality check here. It's true. We don't run in the same circle of friends so why would he need to know this. Before Jake can open his mouth my dad got out of the front seat and interrupted him.

"Hey, guys we're here." My dad yelled at the four of us. I quickly opened the RV door to let fresh air in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 376 38
EVERY SUMMER, four families make their yearly exodus to the British seaside town of Briarville. For Livia Wong, the trip had been tradition ever sinc...
20.8K 739 35
One summer can change everything. • • • For Carter, living in the woods for a month sounds like a dream come true. It means no drama, no stress, and...
1.9K 68 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...
1.4K 92 16
It's summer! Although it's like summer all year long in Thailand. But what's better than going to the sea in these hot days? Yes, going up the mounta...