Gears of Eternity(old)

By ColdDelusionSheep

The City on gears is where you lived. It is full of darkness and light, but it seems that darkness is quite f... More

Prologue
Aslaudian Gear
Failure and Shortcuts
The Power in a Name
Leg Day
Picture Perfect
Rich Boy
Going to be late
Special Chapter
Update

A Walk in the Park

48 5 2
By ColdDelusionSheep

         You were right about Rati being a physical person, even after you two got off of the train she wouldn't let go of your arm. It wasn't until you got to Vauxmore Plaza that she finally let your arm go to set up her camera. You almost wanted to ask her if you could take it apart, just to see how one would be able to capture the world around them with such a compact device. Rati set her camera up on its stands in front of an old oak tree. 

        From what she said on the train, the city was planning on tearing it down and putting a gazebo in its place. The news outlet she worked for wanted to do a story on it, and they needed pictures for it. She said it would be on the front page of the paper, a sad distraction to what was happening in the lower districts.                                               

        A distraction for the plague, starvation, and riots that are happening down there. Not a lot of people talk about it, much less news stations. You doubted if anyone that lived in the middle and upper districts even knew about it. Sometimes you wished that you didn't know about the suffering, ignorance is bliss like they say. That ignorance is what you wanted most of all, but that was never an option for you, not when you lived in that suffering.                                                                                             

        "This place is pretty, of course not as pretty as you." Rati snapped you out of your dark thoughts with her velvety voice. "It is sad that they are chopping down this old oak, but I can't wait to see what the gazebo is going to look like here. It should really tie this place together."                                                                                                                      

        "I suppose, I am just surprised that your station is doing a story on it. I wouldn't really say that it is newsworthy." Of course it isn't newsworthy, who would care about an old tree getting replaced?                                                                                                      

        "You are right about it not being newsworthy, but something has to go on the front page. And this is a much nicer story to tell then the ones that are actually important, darling" At least she is aware of it, you can't really blame her anyway. She is just doing her job, if she didn't then she would be out in the streets, just like all the others. Still, the way she spoke about it sent cold air down your spine. It was like she was living a distance memory that never even happened, like she was above it but somehow was in the middle of it.

        Before you could add anything more to the conversation, she clapped her hands. "That is enough of that, time to work my magic." She took one picture of the colossal tree, then inserted the glass plate with all the chemicals on it. The specific model of camera that was she using was one of the newer ones from Sterling. Those ones were expensive, only the top news stations would be able to afford them. There were only three that you could think of; The Citizen Mirror, The Legacy Register, and The Inside Reporter. She must work for one of them if she has that camera.             

        "Say, what news station do you work for? You never told me." You really couldn't understand what made her feel so trustworthy, in hindsight, it really wasn't a good idea to trust her so easily. She might be trying to dig something up on you, something like a copper skinned boy named Elek.

         Rati looked up from the development of the photo. " I was wondering when you were going to ask that." She stated with a small laugh. "I work for The Inside Reporter." Of course she works for them, The Inside Reporter is a favorite of the Sterlings and the government. They only do stories that make them look good, it was one of the most corrupt news stations out there. Coming with her was a bad idea, if the Sterlings have even the tiniest of suspicions, it would make sense for them to send someone to talk to you.

         You paused your thoughts for a moment, then you shook off the distrustful thoughts. What are you thinking? Are you really this paranoid that you would think some stranger is trying to get information on you for the Sterlings. It isn't even confirmed that they know about Elek, they probably don't even know your name. She hasn't even asked anything about you, there is no reason to be this suspicious of her. She is just a people person, completely normal you tell yourself.

        "That must be nice to work for such a large news station."                      

        "I guess it can be nice, it is also pretty stressful most of the time. I can never seem to be able to keep up with the deadlines, and I never get paid enough. I am not just a photographer you know, I am also a writer." She said in a very light hearted manner.

        Two jobs for the salary of one, that must suck. And a pain you are all too familiar with, you do pretty much ruin your own workshop. "Do you enjoy writing?" You asked.

        "Only when I can write about the things I am passionate about."                 

        "What are you passionate about?"                                                          

         Just after you ask that, she leaned into your ear and whispered in a sultry voice. "You."

        Blushing, you stepped back. "W-What?"

        Instead of laughing at you like you thought she would, she just gave you a kind smile and went back to see how the photo was developing. "You are adorable when you are blushing, I am so glad we are friends now." She commented. 

          Friend is a strong word and you don't know if you will be able to deal with her.......unique personality. It would be a nice change though, to have a friend to do things with. Then again, she works for one of the most corrupt news station in the city. There is a very good chance that she would sell you out in a second if she had something to gain, if she wasn't already trying to do that. Being friends with her puts you at a higher risk of being found out, and at a higher risk of being thrown into a ditch somewhere.

        "Yeah....me too." Best to just agree with her, it wasn't like you would ever be seeing her again. This city was big, too big to see the same person twice and it wouldn't be like you would go out searching for her.

        "The photo is almost done developing, it won't be long now." 

        Is this all she needed to do? You haven't helped any, did she even need you help? "That is good, what do you need my help for anyway? It looks like you have it pretty well handled." You really hoped she wouldn't take your question as rude, it wasn't like it was unpleasant or anything, but she did say she needed help. 

        "I am going to be completely honest here, darling. I just wanted to enjoy your pretty face some more, and the only way I could think of getting you to stay in my company was to ask for your help." She didn't even look up as she said that, but you tell that she was amused by your red face. 

        "Thank you." Was all that you could push out without stuttering, you don't know how much more you could take without your face catching on fire.

        She pulled out the glass plate, if your knowledge on cameras was correct. She would have to fix the plate with the image on it with different chemicals. You almost asked her if she would let you watch but decided that you wouldn't be able to take anymore compliments without your heart giving out. 

        "It really is such a shame that our time together is coming to an end, I do have to get this photo fixed however." She said as she gathered her things, turning around to face you. She looked into your eyes. "I can't wait to see you again, and maybe next time you could come over to my place." Her voice got lower and more sensual as she reached the last part, moving away from you. She adjusted her bag and looked at you for a response. 

        "It is a shame." You didn't even dare to comment on that last thing she said. If you don't address it then it isn't even there, at least that is what you try to believe. She gave you one last hug, making sure to push her chest up. She could barely hold in her laughter after she saw your cherry red face. 

        "Till next time, darling." Rati gave you a wave as she walked out of the plaza, pushing her way though the busyness of the park.

        You then got all your things, and started to make your way to the train station. You shouldn't have to wait long for the next train, 'helping' Rati took a little bit longer then you thought it would. 

~~~~~~~~~~

        Somewhere behind an old abandoned building, two voices bicker.      

        "He told us not to approach her, he is not going to like to hear that you went out and befriended her." The male voice said. 

         "Oh hush now, it wasn't like I did any harm. Since, if my memory serves me right, it was you that approached her first and least I didn't hold a knife to her throat." The other voice snapped back.

        "I didn't know it was her at the time, I just thought she was a middle class lady walking in the bad part of town looking to buy something."

        "You still did it, you are just lucky that he was in a good mood and was feeling merciful." 

        "If you call cleaning the entire hideout merciful."

        "It is better then getting your finger chopped off."

        "True."

        "You weren't here for the meeting." A new voice joined in their conversation. "I didn't think you needed to go out today, what was the occasion?" The serious voice interrogated Rati. 

        "oh...umm the occasion was that I wanted a picture of that old oak tree in the plaza before they tore it up. Sorry that I missed the meeting, it won't happen again." Rati replied with the male voice snickering behind her.

        "Arthur, I don't see why you are laughing, since it will be you who will be briefing Rati on the mission." The voice rebuked the laughing male.

        "Of course, Ma'am. I will brief her right away." Arthur said as he straighten his back now that his superior's attention was now on him. 

        The women nodded her head, and left into the building without another word. Showing no other care to take apart in the two's conversation.

        "I always forget how much of a bitch Nicola is, it is like every morning she wakes up on the wrong side of the bed." Arthur spit.

        "You would be one too if you had to deal with what she dealt with. It isn't easy being the righthand, but enough of this. Lets just go get food, you can tell me about the mission while we are eating." Rati quickly finished the discussion as she walked into the old building. Arthur just shrugged and followed her in.

~~~~~~~~~~

        "You really did do a mighty fine job with this leg, missy. I would say a much better job then any of those idiots that work for Sterling Technology."

        "Thank you, but I just fixed it. It wasn't like I built it or anything." You said to the old dock worker. Don't get it wrong, you are probably better then most of them but you don't want anyone else to know about it. "It is also my job to fix things, while theirs is mostly to invent things."

        "Still, I can't thank you enough, to deliver right to me and to offer a lower price." You mostly only lowered the price so that you wouldn't draw too much attention to your self, if you charged too much then the Sterlings would think you are trespassing on their territory. And you only delivered it because he had one leg, you didn't want him to go hopping all the way to your house, even if that image is slightly amusing. 

        "One time is plenty enough, now I have to get going. Be careful on that leg, you don't want any of those wires to snap again." 

        "I will make sure to take care, little missy. Have a nice day."

        "You too."

        You left the kind dock worker, now all that was left to do was to get that phonograph. You saw a pretty inexpensive one in a shop near by. Even though it was on the cheaper side of things it would take a big portion of your budget, but it was for Elek, so it would be worth it.

        While walking, you could see the edge of the gear that supported this part of the city. In the richer parts of the city one might never suspect that it was placed on colossal gears, but in the poorer parts, they made no effort to hide it. They also didn't bother to hide the movement that they make, you could feel the ground moving under you. It was slow, but it still made it hard to walk. You just wished that one day you could see the device that keeps the movement hidden in the richer districts, it must be a marvel of tech and magic.

         You stepped into the shop that held a picture of the phonograph in the front window, the wooden floor creaking as you did so. The store was large, it was old but well kept. It had everything you could possibly imagine, from statues of lost gods to old porcelain dolls. You looked around for the item that you came here for but didn't see it. Were they in the back of the shop?

        Going up to the counter, you say hello to the store clerk. You asked if they had any in stock, the women working informed you that they ran out just this morning and that they won't be getting any till the full moon. That was two weeks away, you have to wonder if it was because of the shipments that been getting attacked. Even shipments that happen in the city are going missing, not just the ones that go in and out. It has been really messing up businesses, this shop must be a victim of them too.

        "Thank you, I guess I will be back in two weeks then. Have a nice day." That was a waste of time, you started to walk out of the door with your head down when you bumped into someone. You took a couple steps back and looked up, the person you bumped also took a step back. The man that you bumped into looked to be well-put, not a single thing on him was out of place. You didn't even see a single winkle on his vest.

        The tall dark man started to blush when he realized that he bumped into some, he pushed up his glasses as he began to speak. "I am so sorry, miss. I should of been paying more attention."

        "It is okay, it was my fault to begin with. I was the one who wasn't looking where I was going." You really need to brake that habit of looking down when you walk. One of these days you would go walking off a cliff or in front of an automobile.  

        The man looked closely at your facial expression, then voiced his worry. "I know it is none of my business, but you look a little bit down. Are you alright, miss?"

        "I am fine, they just didn't have any phonographs and I was really hoping to get one for a friend." Normally you wouldn't share anything about yourself but it was a long day, you didn't have the energy to lie.

        "hmm." The man thought for a second, then spoke with so much conviction that one might of thought he was promising to revenge the death of a past love. "As a sorry for bumping into you, I will get you a phonograph."

         Your jaw dropped in astonishment, this guy has to be joking. No person would buy something like that just for bumping into someone, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Authors Note

        The story is actually picking up! I love Rati so much, she is so much fun to write even though I am horrible at flirting. I hope you all are enjoying the story, and have a wonderful day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.4K 2.4K 34
Desperate to help your kind yet bankrupt brother, you accepted an assignment many said were a one-way trip to death. Your job is to investigate this...
634 36 11
You're powerful, intelligent, and good - the epitome of a perfect angel. But war is on the horizon, and you find yourself flimsy resistance against t...
30.4K 589 12
╰┈➤ A collection of my yandere one-shots all compiled into one book! As some are older than the rest please keep in mind that my writing...
37.9K 1.2K 16
Y/n L/n, the kind of guy that no one pays attention to. And it would have stayed that way if it weren't for weird beings all suddenly showing up in h...