𝕍𝕒𝕞𝕡𝕚𝕣𝕖𝕤 𝕊𝕦𝕔𝕜 ⦉ᴛᴠ...

By dreamerx_tales

What would happen if Caroline knew about vampires way before the Salvatore brothers come to Mystic Falls? ᴅᴀᴍ... More

◆◇◆𝕍𝕒𝕞𝕡𝕚𝕣𝕖𝕤 𝕊𝕦𝕔𝕜◆◇◆
Ch 1. AFTER BITE
Ch 2. Damon the Demon
Ch 3. Compelling Secret
☢Protect Caroline Squad☢
Ch 6. Ugly cockroach with wings
Ch 7. Assistances
Ch 8. Game night
Ch 9. Founder's party
Ch 10. Katherine
Ch 11. Free him or let him rot?
Ch 12. Well deserved break
Ch 13. The Dream 💭
Ch 14. Halloween 🎃 👻
Ch 15. Mr Broody's Birthday
Ch 16. The Party
Ch 17. Bonnie the Teenage Witch
Ch 18. New Vampire in town 🧛‍♂️
Ch 19. Bree's Bar 🍸🍻🍺
Ch 20. 50s Dance 🕺💃
Ch 21. The Missing Grimoire
Ch 22. The Tomb
Ch 23. A mysterious stranger
Ch 24. The Real Housewives of Mystic Falls
Ch 26. Miss Mystic Falls 👑
Ch 27. Love?
Ch 28. End of Beginning ✨️
🎬 𝙰𝚌𝚝 ➋ 🎬
Ch 1. Vampire Barbie

Ch 25. Vampire Disneyland

8.3K 287 156
By dreamerx_tales

The crisp dawn was just peeking over the rooftops of Mystic Falls when Caroline emerged from her house, pulling the heavy oak door closed behind her. She paused for a moment, breathing in the cool, dewy air and letting the tender golden light wash over her face. The town seemed to be holding its breath, a strange calm settling over the streets after so much recent turmoil.

"Hey Sam, you still there?" Caroline lifted her phone back to her ear, continuing the conversation she'd started inside. Samantha's tinny voice crackled with static but her tone was warm with familiar comfort.

"Yeah, I'm here Care. What were you saying about Bonnie?"

Caroline sighed, shoving her free hand into the pocket of her jacket as she started down the driveway towards her car. "I was just saying I'm worried. She's not responding to my texts or voicemails Elena said the same thing."

The morning stillness surrounded her, broken only by the periodic chirping of birds and the faint rustle of bare tree branches swaying in the light breeze. Caroline could almost convince herself that they lived in a normal, peaceful town.

"She's probably just processing everything, you know?" Samantha reasoned. "After all that has happened, she deserves some space."

"Yeah...yeah, you're right." Caroline slowed as she reached her little powder blue compact, fumbling in her jacket pocket for her keys with clumsy fingers numbed by the chill. Her breath puffed out in vaporous clouds as she exhaled, the subtle unease she'd been pushing down rising back up.

It was an illusion, this sense of calm. Mystic Falls nowadays was never truly at peace, just waiting for the next disaster to strike. Caroline's nerves were fraying with the quiet tension. She could feel eyes on her, the hairs prickling on the back of her neck.

With a small jump of surprise, her keys slipped from her grasp, hitting the pavement with a muffled metallic jingle in the stillness. Caroline whipped around, heart pounding, adrenaline surging as her gaze landed on the darkly handsome figure leaning against a nearby tree.

"Damon," she breathed out, sounding more bewildered than afraid as she recognized him. One hand pressed against the fluttering of her chest.

Samantha's worried voice sounded distant and tiny from the phone. "Care? Caroline, are you okay?"

The raven-haired vampire smirked, eyes dancing with wry amusement as he pushed off from the tree trunk with lazy grace. "Morning, Blondie."

Caroline swallowed hard, letting her hand drop as she wrestled her racing pulse back under control. "It's...it was just a bee," she managed to respond to her friend's concerned query, feebly attempting nonchalance.

Samantha's tinny laughter broke through the tension. "You sure do seem to have a lot of issues with bugs lately. Maybe you need an exterminator?"

Holding Damon's pale gaze, the corner of Caroline's mouth ticked up in a hint of a challenge. "Maybe I do."

♤♤♤♤♤

The heavy morning air seemed to vibrate with an unseen force, ripples of energy pulsing outward from where Caroline and Damon stood locked in an intense tableau. Shadows slanted long and stark across the driveway, dark and light intertwining like the complicated threads of fate binding the vampire and his blonde friend.

Caroline's eyes narrowed as Damon's lips curved into that insufferably smug smirk she knew so well. "What are you doing here?" she demanded, fighting to keep her voice steady and unbothered.

Damon leaned back against the powder blue door of her car, the very picture of casual nonchalance. "What, I can't stop by to see my favorite little blonde?" His glacial eyes danced with wicked amusement. "Miss me?"

Anger and something more complicated flashed hot through Caroline's veins. "After that stunt, you pulled yesterday? Not a chance."

The memory was still vivid - Alaric waking up human, despite his neck being snapped. If it wasn't for that magical ring...she shuddered to think what might have happened.

Damon made a whimsical tsking sound, clearly not picking up on Caroline's consternation. "Oh that little thing? Just adding some dramatic flair." His cavalier tone was like scratching a chalkboard.

"You tried to kill my teacher, Damon! That's not 'dramatic flair', that's just reckless."

His expression shifted subtly, sliding from playful smirk into a cool mask of contemplation. "If the teacher hadn't decided to play the vengeful hunter for once, it wouldn't have even been an issue."

Caroline crossed her arms, refusing to be baited so easily into defending Alaric actions. "H resurrecting from the dead doesn't really give you a free pass," she pointed out. "What's your real agenda here?"

For half a second, Damon's nonchalant demeanor faltered under her scrutinizing gaze. "He pissed me off, so I killed him," he stated with a blunt simplicity that made her breath catch. "Simple as that."

Of course, it was. Caroline sighed, frustration roiling in her chest. "What is it with you always gunning for my history teachers? First Tanner, now Saltzman..."

A peculiar look flashed across those glacial eyes, there and gone before she could interpret it. Damon shrugged, deflecting. "What can I say? History teachers just seem to attract trouble. Nothing personal, Blondie."

"Ugh, don't give me that line," Caroline scoffed, meeting his gaze steadily. "You can't keep killing people just to forget about Katherine. It's not a solution, Damon."

There it is was again - that infinitesimal flinch, the way his shields slipped for just an instant at the mention of the woman he still clearly obsessed over after nearly two centuries. But just as quick, he masked the reaction with bravado.

"You wouldn't understand, Caroline," he said, a hard edge slipping into his voice. "Katherine was supposed to be my forever. She was my past, my present and future. I can't just let her memory haunt me."

Sympathy warred with her frustration as Caroline took a small step closer, her arms falling to her sides. "I get it, Damon," she said, more gently now. "We all have our demons. But killing innocent people isn't the way to deal with it. You have to find another way, one that doesn't hurt others."

Those glacial blue eyes locked unwaveringly on hers and for a long, electrically charged moment the world seemed to still around them. A tiny muscle ticked in his chiseled jaw as whatever was raging inside him played out across his striking features.

"It's not that simple," he growled at last, the words ragged around the edges.

Caroline held his burning stare. "No, it's not. But you have to try."

In a blur too fast for human eyes, Damon was suddenly directly in front of her, his powerful body thrumming with menace as he invaded her personal space. His chiseled face was mere inches from her own, pale eyes glittering like shards of arctic ice.

"You think you can understand me, Caroline?" His whisper sliced through the heavy air, raising goosebumps along her arms. "You think you can save this tired soul?"

His nearness and the almost palpable force of his anger should have terrified her. But this was Damon - volatile and dangerous, yes, but underneath it all he was still her comrade.

Squaring her shoulders, Caroline met that turbulent gaze without flinching. "Maybe I do understand more than you think," she countered, her voice low but steady with conviction. "I've seen enough of your tactics to know they're just a front."

For an endless moment, Damon searched her clear eyes, sensing the fearless steel beneath her deceptively delicate surface. Then, just as abruptly as he had appeared, he leaned back, the malice draining from his expression like a receding wave.

"You're playing with fire, Blondie," he murmured, a hint of something like admiration tempering the warning in his tone.

One side of Caroline's mouth quirked upward, her dimples winking. "Maybe I am. But maybe you need someone to keep you from burning everything down in the process."

The ghost of a reluctant smile tugged at the hard line of Damon's lips as their charged stalemate shivered and dissipated like a morning fog burning away. For now.

♤♤♤♤♤

The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows through the grand, arched windows of the empty studio in Mystic Falls. Carol Lockwood, elegant in her demeanor, guided a young couple through the arched double doors. Her heels clicked with a certain authority on the pristine wooden floors, which had once hosted the graceful footwork of dancers in their most exquisite attire.

She was an imposing figure in the town (or at least that's what she likes to think), the Mayor's wife, but today, she was also the realtor, showing them around a piece of town history that had been left to gather dust. The grand chandeliers, now mere skeletons of their former glory, still clung to the ceiling, bearing witness to countless twirls and laughter from the past.

This place had once been the heart of Mystic Falls, the very soul of their social gatherings. The ballroom where enchanting waltzes and lively gatherings had filled the space with laughter and life. However, over the years, it had been abandoned and left to the whims of time.

"Welcome to the Lockwood Ballroom," she said, gesturing for them. "This was once the pride and joy of Mystic Falls, where all the grand balls and dances were held. It was also a dance studio for many years until the owner retired and moved away. It's been vacant ever since."

Carol smiled as she led them further in. She had been trying to rent it out for months, but no one seemed interested in the dusty and faded space.

The young woman, and her partner, were in their late twenties, though they carried an air of maturity and ambition. The exotic woman was a vision of determination, her dark hair pulled back into a practical bun, her athletic build hinting at a disciplined lifestyle. She surveyed the studio with an assessing eye, imagining its potential.

"This place is perfect, don't you think?" she said, her voice holding a touch of excitement.

Her boyfriend, a ruggedly handsome British man with an air of quiet support, nodded in agreement. "It's got a lot of character. Imagine what you could do with it."

Carol Lockwood watched them closely, her keen eye trained on the couple. She knew that this studio had a special place in the town's history, and she hoped to find tenants who would breathe new life into it. In fact, the whole building had been vacant for years.

The man's eyes sparkled with curiosity as he glanced around the grand ballroom. "What's above this place?" he asked, breaking the momentary silence.

Carol, always ready with information, concealed her surprise with a smile and replied, "There are two spacious apartments on the floor above, and if you go even higher, there's a stunning penthouse with a panoramic view of Mystic Falls."

The young woman looked intrigued, but her boyfriend surprised them both by saying, "Could we see the entire building? I'm quite interested in the whole property, not just the studio."

Carol raised an eyebrow, impressed by his unexpected interest. "Well, that's certainly a possibility. Let's explore the entire space, and I can share more details about the apartments and the penthouse. I didn't expect someone to be so captivated by the entire building."

The man's proposal hung in the air, met with a thoughtful pause from the young woman. "Buying the whole building seems a bit much, doesn't it? I was only thinking of renting the ballroom."

Her boyfriend, calm and composed, gently took her hand. "Hear me out. Our lease is expiring soon, and we always talked about finding a place to truly call our own. This building has character, history, and a certain charm. Plus, I have more than enough resources to make it happen."

She looked skeptical, "But the ballroom is all we need. Why go for the entire building?"

He leaned in, whispering words that only she could hear, "Think about it. We could have our own space, away from prying eyes. Besides, with the mystical history of this town, having our own sanctuary might come in handy."

Their eyes locked, the unspoken understanding passing between them. Yet, the girl hesitated. "It just seems like too much, too fast."

Carol, sensing the tension, interjected, "There's also a substantial cellar underneath the building, which might interest you. It could be a unique addition to your plans."

The girl's interest piqued. "A cellar? What's down there?"

Carol smiled knowingly, "It's quite spacious, and with a bit of imagination, it could serve various purposes. Perhaps an exclusive practice space for your studio or something more."

The couple engaged in a silent conversation, their conversation remaining concealed. After a brief back-and-forth, the girl finally relented. "Alright, let's explore the entire building. But only if the place has the potential we're looking for."

As they continued the tour, little did Carol know that the unfolding chapters of the building's history would be intertwined with the secrets of the supernatural, hidden beneath the wooden floors and behind the grand arches of the Lockwood Ballroom.

♤♤♤♤♤

The sleek black Camaro idled in the nearly empty student parking lot of Mystic Falls High, engine rumbling like a caged predator. In the driver's seat, Damon made no move to kill the ignition, his striking ice blue gaze sliding sideways to study his passenger. "Well, Blondie, another thrilling day of teenage drama awaits you."

Caroline fought not to squirm under the intensity of his stare, busying herself with gathering her things. "Thanks for the ride," she muttered, more to fill the weighted silence than anything. "But you really didn't have to."

One dark eyebrow quirked upward on Damon's lean, chiseled face. "What, and pass up a chance to start your day off with a little intrigue?" His lips curved in a slow, wicked smile that made her pulse skip despite herself. "Where's the fun in that, Blondie?"

Rolling her eyes in an exaggerated show of nonchalance, Caroline tossed her sunlight-kissed waves over one shoulder and reached for the door handle. "Gee, I don't know how I'll cope without your flair for chaos coloring my teenage drama."

She had one foot on the pavement when Damon's low, devious chuckle drifted across the space between them. "I'm sure you'll manage," he murmured in that smoky rasp that could curl her toes when he put his mind to it. "But feel free to come find me if things get dull. You know where I'll be."

Caroline rolled her eyes again, but couldn't quite resist the urge to toss him one last, lingering look over her shoulder. "Try not to burn the town down while I'm gone."

The sensual curve of Damon's mouth stretched into an indulgent smirk. "No promises, Barbie. Chaos is kind of my middle name."

Jaw clenched to keep from rising to his obvious baiting, Caroline spun on her heel and strode toward the main entrance with as much dignity as she could muster. She could feel the weight of Damon's hooded gaze following her progress until the heavy double doors closed behind her with a hollow thud, shutting her into the harsh fluorescent-lit mundanity of the school day.

Only when she was fully out of sight did another figure detach itself from the shadows between the rows of parked cars. Stefan's disapproving frown was deeply etched as he approached his older brother.

"What are you doing, Damon?" The younger Salvatore's tone was a study in wary exasperation. "Don't you have better things to occupy your time than chauffeuring Caroline around town?"

Damon flashed his most charming, insouciant grin, leaning one arm along the open window frame as he angled his body toward his brother. "Just spreading a little vampire cheer. I know how dull teenage life in this podunk town can be." He paused, eyes glittering with an edge of something more dangerous that Stefan couldn't quite read. "Besides, it's not like I have a packed social calendar these days."

Stefan sighed, the corners of his mouth turning down in patent skepticism. "Yeah, because that's never stopped you from stirring up trouble before."

With a sinuous roll of his broad shoulders, Damon feigned an air of innocence. "Relax, Stefan. Just a bit of harmless fun with our favorite blonde." His gaze drifted briefly toward the school's double doors through which Caroline had disappeared. "You know me - never one to pass up a chance to make a high school day more...interesting."

"That's exactly what I'm worried about," Stefan countered, mouth flattening into a grim line. "When it comes to you, 'innocent fun' is never just innocent fun."

One side of Damon's full mouth curved upward in a devilish smirk. "Well then, I guess you'll just have to wait and see, won't you baby bro?"

Without waiting for a response, the engine roared as he floored the accelerator. The Camaro's tires screamed in protest as they spun against the pavement, flinging gravel in its wake as Damon peeled out of the parking lot.

Shaking his head, Stefan watched the sleek black chassis disappear around the corner with a sense of weary resignation. His brother was up to something, of that he had no doubt. And whatever schemes were unfolding behind those crystalline eyes, Stefan could only hope the collateral damage would be minimal.

When it came to Damon's diabolical whims, very little ever was.

♤♤♤♤♤

The hallway of Mystic Falls High positively glowed in the mid-morning sunlight filtering through the arched windows. Colorful posters and student artwork decorated the long banks of faded blue lockers, lending splashes of vibrancy to the otherwise industrial backdrop. A low hubbub of chatter and laughter filled the air, combining with the rhythmic squeak of sneakers on linoleum into a soundscape as familiar as a heartbeat.

Elena stood before her open locker, the metallic clink of the combination lock echoing in the confined space. Her warm brown gaze was fixed on Caroline a few lockers away, clearly engrossed in an animated conversation with Matt Donovan. Catching the brunette's eye, Caroline threw up a hand in a cheery wave before turning her attention back to the sandy-haired quarterback.

Closing her locker, Elena turned to find Stefan materialized silently at her side, omnipresent as her own shadow. "There's Caroline," she remarked, nodding toward the bubbly blonde. "Wonder when she got here?"

"A little while ago," Stefan replied, the subtle tension about his eyes the only crack in his otherwise calm facade. "Damon dropped her off, of all things."

"Damon?" Elena's delicate brows knit together in a frown. "I don't get why he's always hanging around her. It's like he's deliberately trying to stir up trouble."

Stefan considered this for a moment, gaze drifting across the hallway to where Caroline stood engrossed in her locker. "I think Caroline can handle herself better than you might think," he said at last. "She's not as vulnerable as she looks."

The skepticism was plain on Elena's face as she arched one shapely eyebrow. "Handle herself against Damon?" She shook her head minutely. "That guy pretty much defines chaotic evil."

A low chuckle rumbled from Stefan's chest. "Maybe so," he allowed. "But there's more to their dynamic than you'd expect. Damon has this...strange way of connecting with people, even if he'll never admit it. And Caroline might just be one of the few who can match his intensity."

"Match it?" Elena shot him a sideways look laced with doubt. "Or just endure it?"

Her boyfriend's lips curved in a reassuring smile. "You'd be surprised. Caroline actually seems to mellow him in her own way. Like she's found a way to...get under his skin that no one else can manage." He paused, something flickering behind those forest-green eyes. "Though if you asked Damon, he'd never say a word about it to me. He just shuts down anytime I try to talk to him."

Leaning back against the solid metal of the lockers, Elena let out a soft sigh, tendrils of brunette hair tumbling across her cheekbones. "You think he's still obsessing over finding Katherine? After all this time?"

Stefan's expression sobered, a muscle ticking in his taut jaw. "Hard to say," he admitted at length. "I mean, he waited a hundred and forty-five years, only to find out Katherine doesn't care about him at all. That's...got to hurt, even for Damon."

"Ugh." Elena shook her head, mouth twisting in distaste. "Well, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

The sarcasm was not lost on Stefan, but he inclined his head slightly in acknowledgment of the harsh sentiment. "Fair point. You have every reason to be upset with him after everything." His verdant eyes searched her face with warm concern. "Have you...thought any more about what you want to do? About the whole Isobel...situation?"

A complex storm of emotions rippled across Elena's delicate features - frustration, uncertainty, even the faintest hint of fear flickering there and gone again. "You mean about my vampire birth mother being turned your sicko brother? Gee, haven't thought about it at all."

Regret flashed across Stefan's expression and he was quick to backpedal. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up. I know this is all --"

"No, no, it's fine," Elena assured him, mouth turning down at the corners as she surrendered to the weariness weighing on her slim shoulders. "It would just be nice if we could get through one day without having to deal with any of this vampire stuff." She gestured vaguely with one hand, dark lashes sweeping down as she blinked hard against the familiar sting of tears. "No vampire mother, no evil vampire brother..." She trailed off, offering Stefan a look equal parts sad and hopeful. "Is that too much to ask? Just one normal day without the vampire drama?"

A look of such tender compassion softened Stefan's striking features that Elena's breath caught in her throat. He took a half step closer, cupping her face in one work-roughened palm as he searched her gaze. "I wish I could give you that," he murmured. "More than anything." His thumb traced the delicate line of her cheekbone, fingertips grazing the silky curtain of her hair. "No vampires...except me?"

Elena managed a tremulous half-smile at that. "Exactly. Just you. I want us to get back to regular stuff -- school, homework..." Her amber eyes sparkled with a glimmer of renewed hope. "Here's a thought - fun. Remember fun?"

Stefan's replying grin was dazzling. "Ooh, that sounds amazing. When do we start?"

♤♤♤♤♤

The halls of Mystic Falls High buzzed with youthful energy, a teeming crowd of students filling the air with laughter, chatter, and the rhythmic tread of sneaker-clad feet. Shafts of pale spring sunlight slanted through the arched windows, casting kaleidoscopic patterns across the metal banks of lockers decorated with a vibrant array of posters, flyers, and student artwork. It was a chaotic, pulsing symphony of life.

Amidst the swirling tide of vibrant adolescence, Amidst the vibrant scene, Matt Donovan found himself standing by Caroline's side, flashing her one of his sweet smiles as he purposely bumped her shoulder. "Hey, we should hang out again sometime soon. It's been a while. Just the two of us." He held her bright blue gaze with a look of studied nonchalance. "Maybe watch a movie over at my place?"

But Caroline had known Matt Donovan far too long to fall for that careful facade of casualness. With a delicate snort of laughter, she arched one perfectly sculpted brow. "With your mom hovering around like a little chaperone?" Her words emerged in a cloud of sarcastic amusement. "No thanks, I'll pass."

Caught off guard, Matt blinked owlishly for a beat before recovering with a rueful chuckle, one hand lifting to rub at the back of his neck. "Aw c'mon, Care, do you have to be like that?"

"Like what?" She feigned innocence with a dulcet bat of her mascara-thick lashes. "Mean?" A wicked grin curved those tantalizing lips as she moved a half-step closer, dropping her voice to a throaty murmur loud enough only for his ears. "I'm sorry, Matthew, but it's just so hard for me to show kindness to people who very clearly despise every fiber of my existence. I simply haven't evolved to that level of enlightened magnanimity just yet."

The teasing words settled in the heated atmosphere between their bodies like a physical caress, rendering Matt momentarily incapable of response. He could only gape at her, mouth working soundlessly as he groped for a rejoinder to her characteristic candor.

In the end, it was a movement in his peripheral vision that broke the spell, snagging his attention away from the infuriatingly beautiful blonde before him. Caroline registered the subtle shift in an instant, following his wandering gaze to the heated tableau unfolding across the hallway.

Elena and Stefan were wrapped in a passionate clinch, entirely oblivious to the river of humanity flowing around them in the busy corridor. The harsh fluorescent overheads glinted off Elena's dark silky tresses, creating an almost halo-like effect against Stefan's glowing stare of pure besotted adoration.

An audible huff of breath slipped past Caroline's glossed lips as realization bloomed. "Ah, I see what's going on here."

Bemused, Matt finally managed to drag his gaze from his ex, frowning quizzically at the blonde. "What? Care, what are you talking about?"

Rather than answering directly, Caroline simply pierced him with a look that was equal parts reproachful and pitying. "Oh, Matthew," she chided, her honeyed tone carrying just an edge of gentle mockery. "Please don't insult my intelligence by pretending this pathetic invitation to Netflix and chill was anything other than a desperate, transparent attempt to make Elena jealous."

For an endless handful of heartbeats, the quarterback could only work his mouth soundlessly, visibly grasping for a response that wouldn't come. Finally, the fight left him in an explosive exhalation, shoulders sagging in concession.

Maybe it was all those years of sweet, impressionable Elena rubbing off on him, but the truth was Matt had been utterly oblivious to his own petty machinations until Caroline laid them bare.

Taking pity, the blonde's expression softened into one of reluctant empathy. "Look, Matt," she began, keeping her voice low and level. "You're one of my oldest friends, and you know I'll always care about you. But you've got to let this jealousy thing with Elena go, for your own sake."

Her sea-blue eyes held his with surprising compassion. "She's made her choice, and as much as I know it hurts, the only thing for you to do now is move on." She paused, head tilting as she studied his expression. "Maybe what you need is just a fun, uncomplicated fling. You know - get out there, clear your head, get your mind off Elena for a while."

At that, Matt's brow furrowed skeptically even as a glimmer of undeniable masculine interest sparked in his gaze. "Oh yeah?" One sandy brow inched upward in a look of such quintessential Donovan charm that Caroline had to fight back a grin. "You offering to set me up with one of your cheerleader friends there, Care?"

An airy peal of laughter slipped free as Caroline swatted his bicep in a familiar gesture of affectionate rebuke. "I just might, you little horndog. I'm sure Tiki or Amanda would be more than happy to oblige."

The flush creeping up Matt's neck was deeply gratifying, made all the more delicious by the way he attempted to mask it with an impression of nonchalance, ducking his chin in a practiced move. "Yeah...yeah, you might actually be onto something there, Forbes."

"Of course I am." With an impish grin, Caroline rose on her tiptoes to drop a platonic side hug. "I'm always right, Matthew, it's a curse. Now come on - we need to get moving before Ms. Franklin's third-period English massac-I mean, class. You know she'll give us detention if we're even thirty seconds late."

♤♤♤♤♤

The heavy oak door of the Salvatore boarding house creaked open with protesting wood groans, admitting Damon and Caroline into the shadowed interior. Their voices bounced off the cavernous walls in a lively cadence of playful banter, the undercurrent of flirtation temporarily shielding them from whatever confrontation might await.

"Chaperoning duty, Damon?" Caroline's teasing lilt danced across the dusty vestibule as she swept an appraising look around the centuries-old furnishings and dark, webbed beams overheard. "Who knew I'd rate my very own vampire driver service to ferry me to and from high school."

Damon's lips curved in that trademark smirk - the one that somehow managed to be both egregiously cocky and ridiculously charming all at once. "Well, someone has to make sure Mystic's favorite blonde survives the daily traumas of teenage drama." His glacial eyes glittered with wicked promise as they drifted unhurriedly over her slim figure. "You know how I worry, Blondie."

Shooting him a sardonic look from beneath her lashes, Caroline was prevented from unleashing what was sure to be a deliciously scathing rejoinder by the unexpected sound of a smooth feminine voice cutting through the air.

"Well, well - if it isn't Damon Salvatore himself."

Both Caroline and Damon whipped around in unified surprise to find two striking figures already occupying the antiquated sitting room. The owner of that cultured alto was a slim, dark-haired beauty draped with an unmistakable mantle of age and power. At her side hovered a slip of a girl with huge, soulful eyes and an impish tilt to her mouth that hinted at secrets beyond her years.

Neither vampire nor human missed a beat, Damon recovering first with an indolent lift of one arched brow. "Pearl. Lurking around other people's homes again? That's quite the hobby you've developed over the centuries."

If the rebuke stung, Pearl showed no sign. Instead, her coolly assessing gaze slid over to Caroline with a look of vague disdain. "And you've brought your...lackey, I see. The Sheriff's daughter?"

The blatant insult hit like a slap, Caroline's eyes going wide and nostrils flaring in indignation even as that deceptively airy tone lashed out. "Excuse me? Who the hell are you calling a lackey?"

Rather than rising to the confrontation, Damon brushed it off with an insouciant tilt of his shoulders. "Ever hear of knocking?"

He met Pearl's stare levelly, a hint of hard challenge glinting in those pale irises. "It's generally accepted practice before barging into someone else's home uninvited."

Pearl's smile was equally serpentine. "An invitation hasn't been required for me to enter a home in...a very long time." Her gaze drifted around the ancient woodwork and shadowy corners with unveiled curiosity. "I'm simply surprised to find that no living person resides here any longer. Is it just the two of you rattling around in this mausoleum?"

"Yep, just me and baby bro keeping up with the dusting," Damon deadpanned, infusing the last two words with sarcasm that could have cut glass. "So you can imagine how I just love having random squatters show up unannounced."

The look exchanged between the two ancient vampires was loaded with unspoken implications and dark history. Pearl gave a negligent flick of her hand. "Unwelcome vampires are easily dissuaded, I imagine?

There was no missing the flash of menace that slipped across Damon's chiseled features, nor the hint of steel that crept into his tone. "With a stake to the heart, usually does the trick."

For an endless span of seconds, the coiled tension in the air grew taut as a garroting wire. Then, so quickly that Caroline's human reflexes could barely track the movement, Damon blurred across the room, one hand lashing out in a vise grip toward Pearl's throat.

But the dark-haired beauty was no blushing ingenue - more ancient than even Damon could fathom. With a sinuous ripple of movement, she twisted his wrist in an unnaturally dexterous maneuver and slammed the younger vampire against the ground with bone-crushing force.

"Have a seat, Damon," Pearl purred down at him, a lethal smile playing across her lips. As if in an afterthought, she added, "You too, blonde."

There was no missing the razor's edge of command underlying the airy words.

Damon was already moving to obey Pearl's directive with patented indolence, arranging his long limbs in a negligent sprawl to cover his momentary lapse. His eyes, however, were two hunted chips of ice, the vampire's displeasure wafting from him like a palpable miasma.

Huffing out an incredulous breath, Caroline rolled her eyes heavenward before following suit, collapsing into a delicate ladylike pose that put the lie to her exaggerated nonchalance. "Whatever," she muttered, pitching her voice to carry every ounce of disdainful ennui she could muster.

The brunette sidled up beside Damon, crossing her legs in a show of cocky self-assurance. "Not even going to offer us some hospitality? And here I was hoping we could have a nice little...chat."

Whether it was the way Pearl deliberately stressed that last word or the glint of challenge flickering in those kohl-rimmed eyes, Caroline didn't like it one bit. When Damon shot her a sidelong look rife with mingled frustration and carefully obscured warning, she could only offer a minute lift of her sculpted shoulder in silent acknowledgment.

Neither of them was leaving this room until Pearl got whatever she wanted. And something told Caroline they were not going to like it one bit.

♤♤♤♤♤

Pearl settled herself into a high-backed antique chair with an air of imperious grace, leveling her cool gaze at Damon and Caroline where they perched together on the edge of the worn sofa. The ancient furniture gave a series of protesting creaks and groans, underscoring the weighty conversation to come.

"We have taken up residence in an old farmhouse just outside of town," Pearl began, her melodious voice rife with the unmistakable cadence of old money breeding. "It will suffice for our needs...for now."

One of Damon's raven brows inched upward in a look of sardonic challenge. "All twenty-five vampires holed up in some ramshackle farmhouse? Must be getting pretty cozy out there."

The slightest muscle ticked along Caroline's jawline, and when she spoke her tone betrayed her incredulity. "Wait - twenty-five? As in, vampires? As in plural?" She twisted to fix Damon with an accusing look from beneath her lashes. "I thought the whole deal with the tomb was that it had been sealed shut for ages? How are there that many running around now?"

The look he slanted her way in return was one part condescension, one part reluctant affection. "Yeah, Barbie, try and keep up."

If Pearl detected the byplay, she gave no outward sign. "Not all," she continued, unruffled as a millpond. "But some, yes. I imagine a few may have already moved on from Mystic Falls while others are still acclimating to their newfound freedom, like ourselves, as we acclimated to this new world."

Caroline sucked in a sharp inhale as the full reality crashed over her. Not only had the supposedly contained threat of the tomb vampires clearly escaped, but those deadly creatures were now casually setting up camp in their very backyards. Her mind raced with troubling implications. Just how many others of Pearl's ilk were out there, blending seamlessly into the town's populace while plotting god knew what kind of chaos?

And what did they do to the poor old woman who owned that remote little farmhouse? The thought made Caroline's stomach curdle even as it fueled the banked fires of her anger.

Damon was less rattled by Pearl's revelation, ever the insouciant master of his own composure. "So what exactly is the grand plan, Pearl?" he drawled, posture relaxed but eyes two hunted chips of pale blue ice. "Going to try and turn Mystic Falls into Vampire Disneyland?"

Pearl leveled an unwavering look at the younger vampire, her posture conveying a supremely arrogant restraint, as though imparting wisdom to a misbehaving child. "Our endgame, Damon, is simply survival." She allowed the weight of the words to land before continuing in that relentlessly even tone. "For a century and more, we were entombed like rats in a hole, trapped in a world that moved on without us. Now, in this new era, Mystic Falls may have been utterly transformed from the home we knew...but the yearning for freedom is unchanged."

Caroline couldn't quite mask the disdainful snort that slipped free. "Freedom?" Her voice dripped with incredulity as she gestured to encompass their antiquated surroundings. "Yeah, I can see how squatting in dusty old houses, lurking in the woods, and apparently plotting nefarious takeovers really screams 'freedom'."

One glossy auburn brow inched upward as Pearl turned her piercing gaze on the human girl next to Damon. Her expression settled into one of detached amusement, lips curving in a smile utterly devoid of warmth. "Freedom from the shadows, my dear. The chance to live openly without constant fear of being discovered and interred once more...that is what we seek now."

The older vampire paused, allowing the weight of her words to resonate through the stale air before continuing in that same measured cadence.

"The world of the twenty-first century is a vastly different one from when we entered that infernal prison, to be sure." Her eyes glinted with sharp-edged humor. "But human nature remains immutable...as does our desire for the simple liberty of living openly."

Damon's features settled into an expression of wry disdain, his tone laced with open skepticism. "How exactly did you get sprung from your cozy little hidey hole under the church, anyway? I am sure the spell on that tomb was airtight."

It was the slip of a girl, Anna, who deigned to answer, sidling up beside her ageless mother with a distinctly impish look. "Maybe the witch wasn't as skilled as she thought." She shrugged one slim shoulder. "Her hocus pocus wore off after a while."

Ever one to maintain control of her audience, Pearl reclined with gracious poise and resumed the conversational reins. "I understand you've wormed your way into the town's founders' council, Damon. Quite an impressive feat for an uncivilized relic of my era."

Damon scoffed, openly dismissive of the assertion. "What, like the Founders' stupid Mystic Falls stalker club? Don't be ridiculous."

"You would know, wouldn't you?" Anna countered, an enigmatic smirk firmly in place. "Since you've so clearly infiltrated them by now."

The human girl next to Damon shifted, feigning an ingratiating curiosity even as she leaned in with renewed interest. "What council?" she prodded, the very picture of vapid ignorance.

But Anna's gaze slid over to Caroline with naked appraisal, seeing through the ploy instantly. "Don't play coy, Blondie," she chided with a hint of respect gilding the patronization. "I am sure Damon let his little cheerleader minion in on all his secrets."

Refusing to be cowed, Caroline arched one slim brow with a patently insincere huff. "Excuse me? Who are you calling a minion?"

"Girls, girls, take a break," Damon interjected with an audible eye roll before redirecting his attention to the matter at hand. "What exactly is it you're hoping to accomplish here, Pearl? Some kind of takeover plot?"

"Something like that." Pearl sat forward, elbows propped on her knees as she locked Damon with a look of flint-curved intensity. "But first I'll require a few...concessions from you."

"Oh please, don't be so modest," Damon scoffed with acidic sarcasm. "You make it sound like I joined their silly secret pizza club out of choice. Those do-gooder members dragged me into their treehouse kicking and screaming."

His skeptical eyes sliced from Pearl's serene features to Anna's curious appraisal, the full impact of their awareness sinking in with sickening realization.

In a heartbeat, Damon's expression flattened into hard angles, suspicion glinting from his glacial eyes. "Ah, I get it now - you want me to be your little double agent, spilling all the council's secrets about who's carrying those pesky vervain darts."

Anna's easy shrug was answer enough. "Well, you did infiltrate their ranks. Might as well make yourself useful while you're at it."

Caroline could all but see Damon's hackles rise at the woman's audacity. "Like what?" He ground out through gritted teeth. "Names and addresses of everyone on the Mayor's Merry Menschenfresser Club?"

Pearl allowed a fractional smile to curve her lips, bestowing a benevolent approval upon the irreverent human. "Among other things...Yes, I will need a complete list of all known council members and their families. As well as--" She allowed a meaningful pause, knowing her next words would be greeted with less amusement. "Details on your distribution of vervain to the locals."

Anna's voice was a low aside, but it carried clearly across the weighty stillness of the room. "Which will stop immediately."

Emboldened by the righteousness of her indignation, Caroline nevertheless maintained her faux-ingenuous facade as she sat forward, brow furrowed. "Wait - so you and your vampires want make free walking buffet, is this what this os"

Pearl met her gaze levelly, though there was a new flicker of...amusement there, perhaps. "Yes dear, that is precisely what we need to worry about now. The vervain trade in this town must be halted."

"Wake up, woman," Damon ground out through gritted teeth, pale eyes gone glacial. "This isn't 1864 anymore. The world has moved on."

Unperturbed, Caroline chimed in with a wry cant of one eyebrow. "Not to mention we've got smartphones and gluten-free everything now. Big lifestyle upgrade from the good ol' tuberculosis and whalebone corset days." Her barefaced insolence earned her a momentary look of simmering ire from Pearl before the vampire seemed to regain her composure.

"Perhaps we have progressed technologically," she allowed with an ominous edge. "But the core desire for freedom and self-determination remains eternal."

Damon was openly scornful at that, mouth twisting in a cynical curl. "There's nothing you can offer to tempt me into betraying the rest of the council, I hope you know."

One dark, impeccably groomed brow inched upward as Pearl met his glacial stare unflinchingly. "Not even information on Katherine's whereabouts?"

Time seemed to grind to a halt at those softly intoned syllables, Caroline's gaze ping-ponging between the two vampires as she registered the shift in Damon's expression. His bravado faltered for a split second, that unassailable mask slipping just enough for her to glimpse the maelstrom of roiling emotions beneath.

"You..." His voice emerged little more than a gravelly rasp. "You wouldn't even know where to begin looking for her, after being buried underground for the last century-and-a-half."

The look Pearl leveled at him then was one of infinite, placid patience - the benevolence of a mother soothing a petulant child's tantrum. "Katherine and I were...dear friends, even before our paths brought us to Mystic Falls all those years ago," she demurred with a silken glide that seemed to fill the room. "I know her thought patterns, her habits, where she would eventually resurface. In all this time, I don't imagine those core qualities have changed overmuch."

"Even if that were true, which I highly doubt..." Damon's eyes were flat and devoid of any lingering warmth, gaze turned inward as he struggled to maintain control. "I have no desire to pursue Katherine, not the way you seem to think."

"So," he continued, his reply was thick with contempt as he faced off against Pearl, expression carved from abrasive granite. "I'd say good luck with that little world domination kick, but I have zero intention of being your errand boy."

A sardonic smile flickered on the lips of the younger blonde, "Well, isn't this a thrilling reunion? Can we at least discuss our favorite vampire novels while we're at it?"

Detecting the deflection in her tone, she turned the proposition towards her. "You seem to know something. Why not join hands? I am sure I can be more useful to you than Damon. Unless you are compelled to be here."

With an unwavering stare, the sarcasm in her voice did not reach her eyes as she replied. "Yeah, sorry, not signing up for Team Evil Takeover."

For the span of several heartbeats, a fraught silence descended over the little parlor, thick and swampy with unspoken history and wounded pride. Then, without transition or preamble, Pearl uncurled from her pose of regal poise in one sinuous, almost languid movement. In the blink of an eye she had crossed the room, towering over their position on the sofa. One imperious hand lashed out, shoving Damon backward with a force that rocked his entire body into the plush cushions.

"I am not asking for your cooperation, boy," she hissed, voice dripping an icicle's worth of disdain. Her free hand shot out, fingers encircling one of Damon's eyes with bruising pressure until he was forced to jerk away or risk losing the orb entirely. "Finding Katherine was merely an offered courtesy. The rest is not up for negotiation."

In a sudden and disconcerting gesture, Pearl picked him up with unyielding force and dropped him, resulting in him sprawled on the floor. The room succumbed to a weighted hush, as she, a vampire steeped in centuries, demonstrated her formidable strength.

"I have four hundred years on you, little boy. I'll rip you limb from limb without even blinking, and you know it," she declared with a chilling certainty.

Amidst the confrontation, Anna, another player in this supernatural chess match, suggested an alternative. "I know a way he will agree to our terms."

There was a beat of stillness, heavy and charged as static before a lightning strike. Then Anna was in motion, blurring across the intervening space toward where Caroline sat frozen in shock and stillness beside her tormentor. Long fingers wrapped around the slender column of the blonde's throat, squeezing with a constricting force that stole Caroline's breath and rattled her very bones.

But even as Caroline blinked away the shock, her survival instincts kicked in with the muscle memory of over a year's worth of kickboxing classes. Her left palm whipped upward, heel slamming into the solid cartilage of Anna's nose with a sickening crunch of impact. Blood sprayed in a fine ruby mist across Caroline's vision as the other girl's grip went temporarily lax on instinct.

Then Damon was there, appearing as if conjured from the ether itself, forcibly shoving Anna back with the contained violence of a riptide undertow. His free arm curved around Caroline's waist, pulling her up and behind him in one smooth, protective arc even as she spluttered and gulped in fresh oxygen.

The tableau of violence seemed to freeze for one crystalline moment - hazy and surreal. Caroline watching with a sense of dislocation as Anna nonchalantly reset the shattered bone of her nose back into place, the smug smirk of impressed admiration never leaving her youthful features. The radiating waves of barely contained fury rolling off Damon in palpable force fields, as his glacial eyes promised suffering swift and painful should either vampire make another move toward the girl at his back. And Pearl, standing impassive as a marble statue amid the chaos, her very ennui speaking volumes about her staunch confidence. As though issuing a dare.

Before Damon could unleash the scathing rejoinder clearly perched on his lips, Anna leaned in, voice dropping to an intimate murmur clearly not intended for the elder vampire's ears. "You might prove more useful than I originally thought, blondie."

Something about the sidelong look the young vampire skimmed across Caroline's unguarded features in that moment raised every single premature warning prickle at the base of her skull. She couldn't suppress the full-body shudder rippling through her slender frame.

And just like that, the ominous tension dissipated from their surroundings like a miasma before the dawn. The bristling aura of violence evaporating as Pearl straightened her already immaculate posture with a regal tip of her chin.

"I expect you'll reconsider once you've had time to ponder our...negotiations," she stated, refusing to make it a question. Then, with a final weighted look at them both, Pearl turned on one impeccably shod heel and glided from the room, her daughter trailing in thoughtful silence behind her.

The only sounds were Caroline's hitching breaths as her racing pulse slowly began to return to normal. After a few endless seconds of stillness, she felt Damon stiffen almost imperceptibly beside her, reliqunishing his protective stance now that the threat had passed.

For a long aching heartbeat, the Salvatore parlor was suspended in a vacuum of silence so profound that the heavy tick of the ancient grandfather clock seemed to ring like a gunshot.

It was Damon who finally shattered the stillness. "Well well...nicely done, Barbie." His voice oozed sardonic appreciation, masking the undercurrent of genuine approval smoldering in his gaze.

With a rueful half-smile tugging at one corner of her mouth, Caroline reached up to rub her fingers against the pulse point on her throat, trying to coax away the ghost of Anna's lingering unnatural chill. "That was...unexpected," she acknowledged.

Allowing her hand to fall, she turned to regard her companion, breath catching at how profoundly strained he looked in the wake of Pearl's visit. His glacial eyes looked haunted, the hollows beneath them more pronounced than usual against his sculpted cheekbones. The attack quite noticeable with the state of his eyes.

For all of Damon's swagger and insouciant bravado, it was easy to forget how soul-deep the wounds of his tragic past ran.

Wordlessly, Caroline reached into her oversized tote, extracting the zippered case that housed her dad's favorite pair of aviator sunglasses. After carefully dabbing away the faint smears of blood at the corners of Damon's eyes with the linen handkerchief from her pocket, she gently slid the golden frames into place, shielding those expressive baby blues from the harsh overhead light.

"There." She aimed for a breezy tone, undercutting it with a ghost of tender concern. "Those should help for now."

Damon huffed a surprised breath, one long-fingered hand drifting up to brush across the stylishly tinted lenses almost reverently. "Nice frames," he murmured, his voice low and subdued but not unkind.

Meeting his gaze unflinchingly, Caroline allowed herself a small, wistful smile as she admitted, "They were my dad's."

Something undefinable flickered across Damon's chiseled features as he registered her words, contemplating what that simple admission must have cost her effervescent defenses. But he permitted no commentary on the moment of vulnerability, giving a negligent shrug and reaching up to toy with the slender bridge of the sunglasses.

"You weren't kidding about those self-defense skills, were you Barbie? I honestly thought wee Anna had you for a minute back there."

The blatant deflection tactic might have rankled coming from someone else, but Caroline recognized the overture for what it was - a chance to shift the dynamic back into more comfortable sarcastic territory. She went with it gratefully, chin lifting in an oh-so-casual display of confidence.

"What can I say? I've taken a class or two lately." Her sunny curls bounced around her delicate features as she treated him to an exaggerated wink. "Just bulking up on those fighting instincts. You should try it sometime before you turn to dust, old man."

A low, raspy chuckle tumbled free of Damon's generous mouth at that, resonating from somewhere deep in his broad chest. "Oh absolutely - nothing screams 'must-have' skillset for a decrepit 165-year-old like Beginner Self-Defense."

It was...nice, Caroline mused as their gazes locked across the narrow distance, how easily their dynamic of petty sarcasm and teasing byplay could wipe away the lingering gothic chill. As if by unspoken agreement, they aligned on a shared frequency - one pitched to deflect and defend with brazen flippancy.

Still, the reason behind Pearl and Anna's little social call required addressing. Marshaling her features into a more sober expression, Caroline ventured carefully, "So...what do we do now? We can't just...let them take over the town like that, can we? Rebuild their little Vampire Reich right under everyone's noses?"

Running a hand through his raven locks, Damon seemed to ponder her outburst for a long, weighted moment. When he spoke, his tone was laced with flintcurved resolution.

"That's exactly what we're going to do."

Caroline gaped at him, momentarily stunned into speechlessness by the bald-faced insouciance in his tone. "What? Are you kidding me right now?" She shook her head slowly in disbelief. "We just had vampire mother and daughter duo stroll right through that door and issue a whole bunch of ominous threats about taking over the neighborhood, and you want to...what? Just let them?"

Those glacial eyes bored into her with the serene impassivity of vast Arctic planes. "Look, Blondie - unless Pearl and her little coven directly cross our paths in a messy way, I'm staying strictly hands-off on this one."

Mouth falling open in a perfect O of astonishment, Caroline could only gape at him in wordless dismay. After everything that had happened - Greg Fell's murder, the chaos surrounding the tomb's opening, the aborted attempt to free Stefan - how could Damon sit there and act like this was some meaningless blip on their radar?

Before she could formulate a retort appropriately scathing enough for the circumstances, Damon leaned forward until they were nose-to-nose, his voice low and deceptively mild in contrast with the ruthless glint in his gaze.

"Look." He began with a grunt of exasperation, glacier-blue eyes holding her gaze with unwavering intensity. "These aren't a bunch of impulsive, immature newborns we're dealing with. Pearl and her crew are old - older than even Stefan and I by centuries." He held up a hand to halt her protest before it could form. "That kind of time under their belts gives them an edge we can't afford to underestimate."

Realization slowly dawned as Caroline absorbed the implications of his words - the gravity lurking beneath all that smug fatalism. Damon was scared.

Or if not quite scared, perhaps deeply wary in a way his typical cocksure bravado would never allow him to admit out loud. Whatever threat Pearl and her companions presented, he clearly felt outmatched.

The thought of Damon Salvatore - merciless vampire with a penchant for mishmash - being unnerved by anything was disquieting enough to give Caroline pause.

"So...what?" she ventured at last. "We sit back and do nothing while they go all Walking Dead reboot on the town? Start some kind of...'Vampire Neighborhood Watch' or something?"

An undeniable spark of amusement flickered in Damon's gaze at that, grudgingly acknowledging the creative flourish if not the underlying concern motivating it. "Not a bad idea, in theory." His tone was light and teasing, wearing the mantle of flippancy like a second skin. "...'The Agenda for Today's Nosferatu Association Luncheon: Fundraising Status for the Vampire Church Bazaar, Community Complaints About Blood Bag Littering'..."

Caroline tried hard to suppress her own reluctant grin, with limited success. "Pretty sure I can rustle up some gluten-free refreshments, too - for the vampires on specialty diets."

The smirk that unfurled across Damon's generous mouth was sly and knowing, a clear acknowledgment of her deft deflection. "Leave it to Mystic Falls' resident cheerleader to embrace inclusivity above all else," he deadpanned. But a heartbeat later, the lightness fled from his eyes, leaving only an ancient wariness in its wake. "All joking aside...Pearl wasn't kidding, Barbie. If those relic vamps decide they want to set up a new haunting ground in our cozy little hamlet, there's not a whole hell of a lot we'll be able to do about it."

Caroline felt the lingering traces of playfulness seep away, leaving only a sense of stubborn resolve behind. "So that's it, then? We just stand back and observe?"

Sensing her incredulity, no doubt, Damon's mouth flattened into a humorless line. "For now. Unless they decide to come after us - you, me, Stefan, whoever - we stay on the sidelines." He paused, head canted in consideration. "But that doesn't mean we're blindly ignoring what they're up to either. Let them have their little fantasies of tyranny over the landed gentry of Ye Olde Mystic Falls. We watch, we wait, and at the first sign that their 'freedom' campaign veers into dangerous territory for the humans in this town..."

A fine blade of grim promise honed the edge of his voice as he cocked one eyebrow meaningfully in Caroline's direction. "Then we get creative, Barbie."

♤♤♤♤♤

Caroline's nerves were still frayed from her recent brush with the Pearl and Anna. As the hunger pangs gripped her again, she was grateful when Damon, Mystic Falls' resident vampire turned reluctant driver, dropped her off at the Grill. The town's hotspot was abuzz with the usual gossip and aroma of greasy delights.

While Caroline dove into cheerful chatter with her fellow pom-pom enthusiast Tiki, Damon sauntered over to the bar, exuding his typical brooding mystique- a pair of sunglasses firmly in place despite the dim lighting.

Kelly, who seemed permanently affixed to a barstool, eyed the newcomer with a dangerous mixture of curiosity and brazenness. "What's with the shades indoors?" she asked, propping her elbow on the weathered bar.

A trademark smirk played across Damon's lips. "My eyes were a little sensitive today," he replied smoothly, reveling in the air of intrigue surrounding him.

Leaning in, undeterred by his aloofness, Kelly remarked, "You're new around here."

"On the contrary," Damon countered, his tone laced with devious charm, "I'm very old."

Shifting gears, he lazily waved over the bartender. "Bourbon, neat. And throw in a to-go order - cheeseburger, extra curly fries, coffee light on the cream, double sugar."

As the clatter of plates and murmurs of conversation provided the soundtrack of small-town liveliness, Damon propped himself against the bar, surveying the motley crew of patrons with a practiced nonchalance. Kelly wasn't about to let the mysterious stranger's airs deter her.

"I haven't been gone that long," she mused with a coy smile. "No way a face like yours would slip my mind."

Deciding to engage in her playful banter, Damon replied cooly, "Yeah, where did you go?"

"Around, about," Kelly teased.

A knowing glint flickered in Damon's eyes. "I've been there."

Emboldened, Kelly leaned closer, her tone dripping with outright seduction. "I love to see a man drown his sorrows. So sexy."

Damon's eyes narrowed imperceptibly at her forwardness. "It's more like nursing my wounds," he corrected. "And you?"

With a dismissive shrug, Kelly revealed, "I was supposed to interview for the bartender job, but I think the manager blew me off."

"Well, that's not very nice," Damon mock-consoled.

An unrepentant grin spread across Kelly's face. "Yeah, well, last time I was in town I slept with her boyfriend."

"That's not very nice either," Damon parried wryly.

Kelly gave an indifferent flip of her shoulder. "It happens."

Their light, teasing banter took a pointed turn as Kelly caught Damon's gaze lingering on Caroline, still deep in conversation with Tiki. A sly grin crept across the bold woman's face as she went for the jugular.

"So, a guy like you...with a girl like her?" She nodded toward Caroline. "I gotta say, doesn't seem like your usual type. Unless you've got a thing for perkiness and pom-poms?"

Damon stiffened, the muscle in his jaw ticking. "She's not just some dumb blonde cheerleader. There's more to Caroline than meets the eye."

But Kelly had found a nerve to prod, and she was relentless. "Really? Because from here, she just looks like a naive little schoolgirl with a crush on the town's new resident bad boy." She tsked. "How cliche."

The jibe hit its mark - Damon's composure slipped as his voice took on a biting edge. "She's not just a blonde cheerleader. She's got spirit, unlike some people."

But Kelly was relentless, flirtatious yet barbed. "Spirit? More like a pretty little thing to keep you occupied. But I can be so much better."

Fire flashed in Damon's ice-blue eyes. "You don't know a damn thing about her. Or me, for that matter."

Kelly's eyes glittered with wicked glee at having gotten such a rise out of the stoic man. Leaning in close enough for her warm breath to brush his cheek, she murmured, "Maybe not. But I'd love for you to...enlighten me."

Damon's gaze locked with hers, his eyes glittering like shards of frozen ice. "You couldn't handle it, sweetheart."

♤♤♤♤♤

The tension between Damon and Kelly was so thick, you could have cut it with one of the Grill's steak knives. Relief washed over Damon as Caroline breezy demeanor arrived like a ray of sunshine piercing through the storm clouds.

"Hey, Mrs. Donovan," Caroline said coolly, her greeting clipped with an unmistakable undercurrent of frost as she turned to Damon. "What did you get for me?"

She eyed the to-go bag on the bar, assuming its contents were for her. Damon's signature smirk returned, the earlier annoyance melting from his face like spring thaw.

"Got you a cheeseburger, curly fries, and that coffee you pretend not to love - one cream, two sugars." He cocked an eyebrow at her. "Don't act so surprised, Forbes. You know I pay attention."

A delighted smile bloomed across Caroline's face before she could stop it. "How did you...never mind." She waved it off, but the rosy blush staining her cheeks gave her away.

Damon rose fluidly to his feet, snaking his arm around Caroline's shoulders as they moved to leave. His eyes glittered with mischief as he tossed one last barb over his shoulder at Kelly.

"Well, it's been a delight as always. Maybe try keeping it in your pants next time, and you might actually get that job."

Kelly's mouth dropped open in stunned outrage as Damon steered Caroline toward the exit, leaving the raucous din of the Grill behind them. Once outside, Caroline paused, brow furrowed in confusion as she glanced back at the bustling restaurant.

"Okay, seriously, what was that all about in there?"

Damon waved a careless hand, the picture of easy nonchalance. "Nothing you need to worry that pretty blond head about, Barbie. Just a misunderstanding."

His tone closed the subject, but Caroline knew there was more to the story. She studied him for a long moment, seeing the tension still lingering in the taut lines of his body, before letting it go with a shrug.

"If you say so."

They strode away from the Grill, the robust sounds of drinks clinking and laughter fading into the quiet night. Damon's arm was a reassuring weight around her shoulders, and the scent of her favorite diner food wafted up from the bag, making Caroline's stomach rumble.

♤♤♤♤♤

Stefan Salvatore and Elena Gilbert stepped through the front doors of the imposing Salvatore boarding house, bracing themselves for the familiar atmosphere of dusty antiquity and time-honored charm. Instead, they were met with a scene of utter disarray unlike anything they'd witnessed within these hallowed walls before.

The usually immaculate parlor room looked as though a literary tornado had torn through it. Anchient tomes and modern paperbacks alike were strewn haphazardly across every available surface - the chaise longue, the antique escritoire, even fanning out in concentric circles on the plush Persian rug.

Amid this chaos, the bright peals of feminine laughter rang out, offset by the low, rumbling baritone of a distinctly male chuckle. Elena's gaze landed on the improbable source of the merriment - Damon Salvatore himself, lounging with the easy grace of a panther as Caroline Forbes sat cross-legged beside him on the sofa.

An open notebook lay across the blonde's lap, the pages riddled with looping scribbles. A coffee, complete with a candy-striped straw, perspired on the side table beside her while an overflowing basket of crispy fries sat between them.

"Off limits, Salvatore," Caroline chided without any real bite as Damon snagged a fry. Pressing the notebook protectively against her chest, she launched into their debate with the zeal of an honored scholar. "Okay, but seriously - how can you say Poe trumps Austen's romantic prowess? She's the mother of the genre!"

Damon leaned back with a lazy, indulgent grin, idly chewing the stolen fry as he waved a dismissive hand. "Come on, Blondie. The man practically invented the psychological thriller. Austen's just...bonnet rippers and pretentious courtship dances."

Elena's brow hiked in utter bewilderment as she and Stefan took in the bizarre spectacle. This scene was the polar opposite of anything she'd have expected from the elder Salvatore brother - the same man who spent the better part of the last year hell-bent on making her life a waking nightmare. Yet here he was, relaxed and...God forbid...actually enjoying himself with Caroline.

"Think we stumbled into an alternate universe?" Stefan murmured to Elena, his ocean eyes twinkling with confused humor.

"I don't know," she mouthed back. "I never thought I'd see the day Damon Salvatore played...tutor."

The sound of their voices seemed to break the strange bubble around the cozy tableau. Caroline's face lit up as she caught sight of them hovering in the doorway.

"Hey guys! You're back - how'd the big night out go?"

Damon threw them an inscrutable look from beneath thickly lashed lids as he reached for another fry. "Don't mind us, we're just expanding Blondie's admittedly limited cultural horizons."

Elena raised an incredulous eyebrow. "Right...so this is what, exactly?"

Flashing those signature dimples, Caroline explained, "Damon's helping me with my Lit assignment, believe it or not. Who knew he was such a snob for the classics?"

"I contain multitudes," Damon remarked dryly, which only made Stefan's lips twitch in amusement.

"I'm sure Austen would be honored," the blonde teased.

An odd sense of nostalgia washed over Stefan then, taking in his typically roguish brother playing at domesticity. It reminded him of stolen moments from their long-ago human lives, when Damon would surprise him by offering to help with studies or chores in a rare glimpse of fraternal affection.

Shaking off the melancholy, Stefan gave Elena's hand a gentle squeeze before meeting her questioning gaze with a look that said, Let's not ruin this moment. After all, it wasn't often they were afforded a glimpse of Damon's more...simpatico side.

But it seems like his brother thought otherwise, cause the convivial was abruptly punctured by Damon's sudden desire to stir the proverbial pot. Catching sight of Elena hovering uncertainly in the doorway, a wicked glint sparked in his pale blue eyes.

"So, Miss Savior-of-the-Universe," he drawled lazily, long fingers toying with the spine of a leatherbound tome. "Do you ever actually crack one of these open? Or is there no time for reading between all the 'Dear Diaries'?"

Elena's shoulders stiffened at the intentional barb, but she kept her tone even as she countered, "Well, Damon, some of us have priorities beyond belittling people."

An absolutely wicked grin curved his mouth at that. "Ah yes, the saintly defender of humanity. How admirable."

The saccharine words dripped with thinly-veiled disdain. Caroline tried to soothe the rising tensions with a casually uttered, "Come on, let's all keep it cool here. We're just talking."

But it was too late - the damage was done. Elena's jaw ticked with barely-restrained irritation. "You know what? I think I'll just head home. Clearly I'm interrupting Damon's newfound scholarly passion."

The mocking words hit their mark. Damon's eyes glittered with dark amusement as Elena moved toward the door. "Well, well - there goes Mystic Falls' very own patron saint. Don't let the door hit you on that self-righteous ass on the way out."

Elena whirled on him, hands planted firmly on her hips in a stance of utter exasperation. "You can be such an insufferable jerk sometimes, Damon!"

Ever the mediator, Stefan tried to play peacemaker, placing a calming hand on Elena's arm. "Elena, let me walk you to your car."

She allowed him to guide her out, shooting a final glance at Caroline. "You coming? I can drop you at home."

The blonde started to politely refuse the offer when Damon couldn't resist getting one last poisoned barb in. "Yeah, Blondie probably needs a ride with Miss Holier-Than-Thou to cleanse her aura after being exposed to me."

Fed up, Elena stormed out with Stefan trailing behind, leaving Caroline alone to deal with the aftermath of Damon's desire to poke the bear. She fixed him with a thoroughly unimpressed look as the door slammed behind them.

"You just can't help yourself sometimes, can you? Had to ruin a perfectly nice evening."

Damon merely shrugged, the picture of nonchalant indifference. "What can I say? I have a rare talent for it."

Rolling her eyes dramatically, Caroline scooped up her scattered belongings and started for the door herself. "Well, I'm not sticking around to be part of your next solo performance. Goodnight, Damon."

♤♤♤♤♤

Caroline yanked open her bag, stuffing her belongings inside with frantic, jerky motions. Books, papers, pens-she swept them off the desk in a flurry, not caring if anything crumpled or broke in her haste to leave. The strained rhythm of objects thudding into the depths of her bag punctuated the heavy silence. Her mouth was a hard line, eyes narrowed to slits as irritation creased her brow. She was furious, and every forceful tug of the zipper broadcast it.

Damon watched her hurricane of movement with studied nonchalance, leaning against the ancient mahogany bookcase. He extended a placating hand, voice a warm caress despite the chaos. "Come on, Blondie..."

The endearment she normally tolerated-or maybe even enjoyed, not that she'd admit it-was like a match struck near dynamite. Before she could explode, Stefan stepped into the room, disapproval etching his features.

"Don't look at me like that," Damon deflected immediately, cutting off the lecture before it could begin. "Look-"

His words detonated in a shattering of glass. Two vampires-all wrath and frenzy-exploded through the window in a blizzard of broken panes. Jagged crystal shards sliced the air like airborne daggers.

Damon's century-honed instincts propelled him into motion, a preternatural blur leaving a mercurial vapor trail in his wake. One heartbeat Caroline was alone in the maelstrom; the next, she was cocooned in Damon's embrace, iron arms encircling her as he whisked her to safety behind an armchair. Her pulse thundered, the sour taste of fear sharp on her tongue. She barely registered the chill of his jacket against her cheek or the jarring thud of her feet finding new purchase-only the pounding of adrenaline in her veins.

No sooner had Damon tucked her into the fragile shelter than he pivoted in a whirlwind of action. His gaze sparked like banked coals flaring as he recognized the intruders: Frederick and Bethanne, trouble catalysts both, whose very names incited unrest in the tombs' delicate hierarchies.

Stefan slammed against the hardwood, temporarily stunned by the whirlwind invasion. This was a position he neither appreciated nor intended to maintain for long. Damon was a streak of furious darkness, each lethal movement a slice of death's own choreography as he collided with the duo. Every brutal strike punctuated his unspoken vow to exterminate these menaces.

Meanwhile, Stefan endured Frederick's surprise attack-a shard of glass stabbing deep. He gasped at the searing pain but refused to let it distract from the fight. As Damon grappled with Frederick, Stefan gritted his teeth, retrieving the glass dagger and flicking it away. Crimson seeped from the wound, but he knew it would knit itself shut soon enough.

Across the parlor, Bethanne fixed her full, malicious attention on Caroline. The sullen ticking of the grandfather clock seemed to pound in the human's ears-a metronome of looming peril. In that thrum of impending doom, something primal stirred to life in Caroline's veins. Maybe an ancestral instinct. Maybe the inviolable will to survive that scorches through every mortal's blood.

Her fingers brushed the ornate pewter handle of a discarded letter opener, a talisman of hope amidst the chaos. In that same moment, Stefan was a blur of precision and lethality, intercepting Bethanne before she could reach Caroline. He danced away from her stake with each calculated step, waiting for the right opening.

Caroline's thundering heart soon matched his rhythm. He saw the opening-a single mistake-and seized it without hesitation. Grasping Bethanne's wrist in an unbreakable grip, he twisted until the stake clattered free. Before she could counter, he retrieved it, sinking the wood deep into her chest with a sickening crunch.

As her undead body husk desiccated, Stefan met Caroline's eyes with a grim nod of acknowledgment.

Meanwhile, Damon sent Frederick hurtling across the room with a brutal shove. He collided with the wall, rubble raining down. Seeing his partner's body and realizing he was outnumbered and facing two vampires, he cut his losses. He fled into the night without a backward glance, disappearing from the brothers' wrath.

The aftermath settled like a macabre stillness, the only sounds the brothers' steady breathing and the faint ticking of the clock. Damon was at Caroline's side in an instant, his brow creased with concern as he checked her over. His eyes raked her form, scanning for any injuries his supernatural senses may have missed.

"Damn it, are you okay, Barbie?" The endearment tumbled out, his usual cockiness overshadowed by real worry.

Caroline blinked, still processing the whirlwind of violence that had just exploded through her reality. She glanced around at the destruction - shredded upholstery, glittering piles of glass, a desiccated body that had once been a living, breathing nightmare. Fear, anger, confusion roiled in her veins like a volatic chemical mix.

"Yeah...yeah, I'm good." She dragged a hand through her tousled curls. "But what the hell was that?"

Stefan stepped forward, his expression grim beneath the veneer of calm. "I remember them from 1864. They were in the tomb."

Realization flickered in Damon's icy eyes, though his mouth curved in a tight smirk. "Yeah...about that."

♤♤♤♤♤

Damon sauntered back into the Salvatore living room, Bethanne's limp body trailing carelessly behind him. His strides were as casual as if he were dragging a sack of leaves rather than the remains of a vampire he'd just killed. The crackling flames in the grand fireplace provided a haunting melody for the grim task at hand.

In the past, such macabre scenes would have disturbed Caroline. But now she watched with studied nonchalance, the slight crinkle of her nose the only hint of her inner turmoil between morbid fascination and disgust.

"A little help here, brother?" Damon asked lightly, his tone edged with playful sarcasm as he glanced at Stefan. "Blondie's too repulsed to get her nails dirty."

He smirked at Caroline, who immediately bristled. "Hey!"

The two vampires moved with the practiced fluidity of a grisly dance routine - Stefan all brooding efficiency, Damon oozing cocky bravado. They were well-versed in this ritual of erasing any undead remains that threatened to tear apart the fragile veil separating their supernatural world from the mundane bustle of Mystic Falls.

Damon casually fed Bethanne's desiccated body into the ravenous flames, watching impassively as the fire consumed flesh and bone. One by one, he tossed in her belongings - a broken necklace, shredded clothing, each item dissolving into ash as its secrets dissipated into the warm, soot-streaked air. The tongues of fire seemed to whisper of finality with each item erased, a chapter ending in gruesome ritual.

Once the pyre had devoured the last remnants of the deceased vampire's existence, Damon swaggered over to Caroline. His eyes glinted with dark amusement at her barely-contained revulsion.

"See, Blondie?" he murmured, pitching his voice just for her. "Aren't you glad you didn't mess up your pretty manicure?"

Caroline's chin lifted in a picture of affronted dignity, but her eyes danced with reluctant fire. "Shut up, Damon."

As the last traces of Bethanne's existence smoldered in the fireplace, Damon swaggered over to Caroline, his signature smirk firmly in place.

"I think you should spend the night, Barbie."

Caroline's movements stilled as she blinked at him, brows furrowing. "What? I can't just...why would I stay here?" The very notion seemed absurd and unplanned - two things Caroline Forbes avoided at all costs.

"He's right, Caroline," Stefan interjected soberly, backing up his brother's suggestion.

Damon's eyes danced with victory, his casual demand clearly not just a whim. His protectiveness flared, the intensity ill-disguised by his irreverent front. "One of our assassin buddies slipped away. He saw you with us, so he might come after you next."

Stefan's jaw ticked as he moved to stand united with Damon. "We can't risk that."

A crease marred Caroline's smooth brow as responsibility weighed on her. "But...what about my mom?"

Damon waved a dismissive hand. "Just tell her you're working on a project with Stefan." His grin widened as he leaned in closer. "Or let me call Liz. She's got a soft spot for this face."

Caroline's retort stuck in her throat as Damon invaded her space, his body heat and cologne surrounding her. She swallowed hard. "I don't have anything to sleep in."

Undeterred, Damon's palm skimmed over her shoulders as he ushered her towards the stairs. "Just borrow one of my shirts," he purred, the words a heated caress.

Their gazes locked, the air thickening with unspoken tension. "Or maybe you'd rather sleep in my room?"

The suggestive offer hung richly between them, rife with implication. It was a familiar dance, one they'd performed countless times - a game of push and pull, challenge and retreat.

Caroline's eye roll was one of pure, exaggerated exasperation...but her reluctant smirk gave her away. "You wish," she scoffed, even as sparks danced in her eyes.

♤♤♤♤♤

Dawn cast a lazy golden hue through the ornate windows of the venerable Salvatore residence, bringing with it a day that unfolded with an unforeseen whisper of simplicity. Within the storied walls, a scene unfurled that seemed almost alien against the backdrop of eternal nightwalkers: domestic tranquility.

In the heart of the house, the kitchen-a place typically reserved for the pouring of bourbon and reheating of blood rather than the crafting of cuisine-buzzed with an unusual energy. Damon Salvatore, notorious for his taste for blood and mischief, had taken on a most unexpected guise this morning: that of an impromptu culinarian. Armed with a spatula and a devil-may-care attitude, he maneuvered around the stove with an easy grace, his movements orchestrated to the sizzle of batter morphing into golden-brown disks.

The kitchen was alive with the allure of breakfast, the fragrance of pancakes heavy in the air as they flirted with the acrid edge of java. Damon, pouring himself into a task so mundanely human, revealed an undiscovered penchant for the pancake arts. His ambitions as a barista, however, would fall flat; the coffee betrayed his inexperience, a bitter testament to his immortal tenure.

A figure emerged to this scene of culinary bravado, Caroline Forbes, adorning an oversized T-shirt that draped her frame in casual mystery. Damon, a knowing smirk carved into his chiseled features, played the role of host to the hilt.

"Pancakes, my dear Barbie. The breakfast of champions," he declared, proffering a plate with a flourish that seemed both teasing and genuine in its offering.

Caroline's lips quirked into a half-smile, her eyes dancing between amusement and wariness at the spread before her. "Champions, or just unsuspecting test subjects to your dubious culinary exploits?" she retorted, her voice tinted with the lightness.

Amid their spirited exchange, the very air seemed to soften, permitting a semblance of normalcy to drift like a specter through the home. A quiet observer to this gentle charade, Stefan Salvatore stood at the threshold of the kitchen, his presence shaded with introspection. The tableau before him-the playful jests, the camaraderie that wove between his brother and their friend-stirred echoes of a distant past within him. There was a poignancy to it, recalling halcyon days before the curse of immortality had clawed into their lives. Back when mornings were greeted with siblings breaking bread at the table and laughter was a simple melody.

Yet, even as the corners of Stefan's mouth lifted at the sight, a shadow flickered through his memory-the stern reprimand of their father, piercing the serenity with harsh reminders of a world governed by rigid roles and expectations: "Cooking is a woman's duty." That voice, once the law of their home, now seemed as distant as the peace it had disrupted.

♤♤♤♤♤

In the soft haze of morning light streaming through the damaged windowpane, Damon Salvatore was the picture of determined focus. Clad in a casual shirt clinging to his muscular frame, he wielded a hammer with the same ease he might a martini or a wooden stake, each strike finding its mark with precision. Boards cut to perfection were steadily replacing the jagged remnants of last night's chaos-a testament to Frederic and Beth-Anne's unwelcomed intrusion.

The delicate scent of sawdust wafted through the air, a surprisingly earthy reminder of mortality in a house so often steeped in the supernatural. At Damon's side, Caroline Forbes played an unusual role. No longer the damsel in distress (nor that she ever was) or the fashion-forward cheerleader, she instead stood as his makeshift squire, holding up nails and offering tools, her fingers deft and sure.

As she played her part, there was a noticeable shift in her demeanor-a casualness that hadn't been there before. Her attire today felt like a clear departure, an oversized T-shirt-plain, unadorned, and swallowed her petite frame whole. It was a far cry from her meticulously curated outfits, the ones designed to showcase confidence and control.

Elena, observing the scene, couldn't help but notice the subtle change in Caroline's appearance. The oversized garment hinted at a borrowed wardrobe, and from the knowing glances exchanged between Damon and Caroline, it became evident that she was wearing Damon's T-shirt.

With each precise swing of his hammer, Damon anchored his plan as firmly as the nails he was driving into place. "I say we go to Pearl's, bust down the door," he declared, his tone effervescent with a certainty so intense it bordered on sheer recklessness. "And annihilate the idiot that attacked us last night."

Across the room, Stefan's posture was all contemplation, the complete inverse of his brother's temerity. His voice was calm, the very epitome of reason as he challenged his brother's questionable idea, "Yeah. And then what? We turn to the rest of that house of vampires and say, 'Oops. Sorry?'"

"Exactly. We might need a more diplomatic solution," the blonde interjected.

At her words, Damon's movements came to an abrupt halt. He turned, granting Caroline a look chiseled with sarcasm. "Diplomacy is overrated, Blondie."

Her eyes fluttered upward in a display of exasperation, the sunlight glinting off her golden locks. "Says the guy who's about as subtle as a sledgehammer," Caroline quipped back, her tone laced with wry humor that cut through the tension.

In the midst of this, Elena felt a twinge of isolation from the discourse swirling around her and sought to bridge the gap by addressing her friend. "I can't believe you stayed over, Care. How did your mom agree to it?"

"It turns out that one of the tomb vampires killed someone, and now the council's all stirred up realizing there's a new vampire prowling around town. So when I asked if I could stay over at Stefan's for a school project, she was all for it," she explained, her lips quirking at the irony of it all.

From his position across the room, Damon's ears pricked up at the conversation. With every touch of his skilled hands on the object of his attention, he multitasked with ease. "Yup, I got a call from her to keep you safe," his tone dripping with the dry amusement only he could conjure up mid-repair.

"The trust my mom has in you is kinda concerning," the blonde remarked, the skepticism hanging heavy in her voice.

But Damon, well-versed in the art of verbal sparring, flashed a self-assured grin, his ego inflating with every word. "What can I say, Blondie? I have a way with older women," he quipped, his confidence as irritating as it was impressive.

Caroline, refusing to let him have the last word, shot back, "Of course, you do, Grandpa."

Elena's eyes narrowed at their banter - it was like a tennis match she never desired to witness. "I can't believe you made a deal with her." she said coldly, her feelings spilling over despite her best efforts before her disappointed eyes settled on her friend. "And I can't believe you didn't tell me."

Caroline turned to her, the lightness fading from her voice as she added hastily, "You left so quickly last night that I completely forgot to tell you. Though no deal was made."

Damon tossed the spanner aside nonchalantly and stood, brushing imaginary dust off his hands. His gaze locked onto Elena's, irritation poised in his stare. "And it's not like I had a choice. She's...scary. Besides, she's gonna help me find Katherine.And I need to have a serious word with that woman."

"Of course she is. Damon gets what he wants, as usual. No matter who he hurts in the process," she fumed, frustration underlying her every word, her fury intensifying as she tried to stifle it.

His response was quick, his words dipped in satire, "You don't have to be snarky about it."

"I woke up this morning to learn that all the vampires have been released from the tomb. I've earned snarky," she let out, her brows furrowed, her voice thick with towering vexation.

Damon, unflinching in the face of the annoyance named 'Elena', said, "How long are you going to blame me for turning your birth mother into a vampire?"

As if a dam breached, the full force of her pent-up aggravation rushed forth. "I'm not blaming you, Damon. I've accepted the fact that you're a self-serving psychopath with no redeeming qualities." The last word twisted, a barbed wire wrapping around the room's already strained air.

His reply was swift, a self-deprecating chuckle in the face of her disdain. "Ouch."

The impasse was claustrophobic, and it was Caroline who first broke ranks, her own patience derailed. "This is getting nowhere. I am out of here. I need to pack for the weekend," she announced, her resignation heavy as she sought escape from the vortex of animosity.

Stefan, the quiet observer and often mediator, finally voiced the beleaguered thoughts of them all. "Right. This isn't very productive. We're gonna figure out a way to deal with Pearl and the vampires. Yeah? Hmm." His words, though measured, held the unspoken plea for sanity among the madness.

As Caroline exited, a tangible relief softened the rigid lines of her shoulders, leaving the heavy air of the parlor behind her. But her departure did little to dispel the aggressive energy; instead, it appeared to follow her, embodied by the curious and relentless Damon as he trailed in her wake.

Catching up to her in the soft darkness of the hallway, he couldn't contain the question that rose unbidden, "What do you mean, pack?"

♤♤♤♤♤

The sun seeped through the windows of the Salvatore living room, its light playing across the room's unusual collection of antiques. Damon, seemingly lost in his own world, meticulously worked on a vintage clock nested on the coffee table, each click of the gears a soft whisper in the quietude of the afternoon.

His brother's partner-in-crime's absence hung in the air as Stefan, prepping himself for his own days' pursuits, broke the silence. "Where's Caroline?" His curiosity, however, seemed laced with something deeper, a question behind the question.

The older Salvatore, without looking up from his task, responded with a touch of nonchalance, "Busy packing. Turns out that she has to attend her stepsister's birthday. How boring..."

Stefan, unable to resist, poked fun at his brother's apparent indifference. "Gotten attached, have we?"

The older Salvatore chortled softly, focusing on the clock as if it were the most captivating thing in the room. "In your dreams, brother." He glanced up. "You're off to hunt, I take it?"

"That guy did a number on me last night when he stabbed me. I gotta get my strength back up," Stefan reculantly admitted, a hint of weariness in his eyes.

Damon paused, a sly grin forming, "I've got two liters of soccer mom in the fridge. No?"

"We'll talk when I get back?" replied Stefan, ignoring jab.

Damon lifted his hand, a breezy farewell gesture intersecting the golden sunbeams. "All right. Give my regards to the squirrels," he quipped, his voice laced with sarcasm as Stefan stepped out, the door closing gently behind him.

♤♤♤♤♤

The brewing storm had transformed the Mystic Falls afternoon into a canvas of ominous gray hues, emphasizing the impending chaos that lingered in the air. In the heart of the forest, Stefan prowled with a solitary determination, his senses keenly attuned to every rustle of leaves beneath his boots and the distant calls of nocturnal creatures that echoed through the trees, shrouding the forest in an eerie serenity.

A sudden shiver pierced through Stefan's undead frame, a primal instinct warning him of an unseen presence lingering in the shadows. His gaze darted around him, searching for the source of the unsettling awareness that tightened his muscles and quickened his undead heart. And then, as if summoned by the sinister forces at play, a group of vampires materialized around him, their eyes ablaze with a hunger that mirrored his own, yet tainted with a darkness that hinted at cruel intentions.

Leading the encroaching figures stood the vampire who had attempted to kill him the night before, a menacing silhouette amidst the gathering storm. In a swift and calculated move, the intruder lunged forward, a deadly wooden stake gripped tightly in their hand, aimed with lethal precision at Stefan's unbeating heart.

The sharp tip of the stake pierced through the fabric of Stefan's jacket, sinking deep into his undead flesh with a sickening thud. Agony exploded through his body like a violent tempest, wrenching a guttural cry from his lips as he stumbled backward in shock and pain.

"Aah!" Stefan's voice echoed through the trees, the sound of his anguish carrying through the forest. The wooden stake grazed perilously close to his undead heart, the excruciating sensation threatening to overwhelm him as he grappled with the sudden and vicious attack.

♤♤♤♤♤

Light streamed into Caroline Forbes' bedroom after taking a break from the shadows of the upcoming storm, casting a warm glow over the meticulously organized clothes that lay strewn across her bed. With deft fingers, she folded a shirt, creating sharp corners and smoothing out the creases, her movements methodical, almost therapeutic. The lively chatter coming from her phone's speaker-propped up on her antique dresser-provided the perfect soundtrack to her packing.

Jessica's laughter was a contagious melody that brightened the room. "Guess what?" she effused with unbridled excitement. "Samantha and I decided to go apartment hunting. Alexis's lease is ending, and we're on a mission!"

Jacob's voice interjected with its characteristic lightheartedness, borne of someone who'd stumbled into a fortune of mishaps. "Liam and I are in the same boat. Our place turned into a swimming pool thanks to a busted pipeline."

Caroline halted her meticulous folding, her eyebrow quirking with mirth at their shared predicament. "Wait, you guys too? That's just weirdly coincidental," she remarked, folding another garment with precision.

Their laughter enveloped her, a rare bubble of normalcy amid the chaos that plagued Mystic Falls, a bubble Caroline was keen to extend for as long as possible.

The conversation soon swerved into a delightful recounting of extraordinary real estate encounters. Meanwhile, outside the brightness of her bedroom, a figure cut a striking silhouette against the streaming sunlight. Damon Salvatore, as stealthy and poised as any vampire, lingered by the window. The light did little for his pallor but played magnificently across his defined features. Caroline, engrossed in her call, remained oblivious to his presence.

"These online listings are wild," Jessica continued, her tone a blend of hilarity and astonishment. "Some are so bizarre!"

Jacob added to the laughter, "Tell me about it. We even considered a treehouse at one point."

The room filled with Caroline's infectious laughter, but eventually, she decided it was time to end the call. The voices that had animated the space just moments ago were now replaced by a hush only broken by the occasional rustle of clothing and the distant murmur of an impending storm.

With the silence settling in, Damon seized his chance to make his presence known. He draped himself casually over the window sill, observing her with an intensity that often set others on edge. But for Caroline, who was well-versed in Damon's enigmatic ways, it was just another peculiar twist in her dynamic life.

"Fancy meeting you here, Blondie. Packing up your secrets?" He stated, his tone light, almost teasing as he eyed the suitcase lying open on her bed, its contents a scattered to-do list of Caroline's life.

Caroline didn't startle; she'd grown accustomed to the shadows of the unimaginable brought to life in the sunlit corners of her everyday existence. "More like packing for a weekend trip," she responded nonchalantly, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth while she folded her clothes with meticulous care. "And what brings the great Damon Salvatore to my humble abode? Boredom, or just missing my delightful company?"

A mischievous grin etched across his face, the vampire responded, "I like to keep tabs on my favorite blonde-call it a hobby."

His piercing eyes scanned the mess of her teenage life as his lips curled into a sardonic half-smile. "Who are these people you're always talking to? I feel left out," he teased, leaning casually against the window frame.

Caroline shoved a folded shirt into her luggage with deliberate force. "None of your business," she shot back, her forced casualness not quite masking her irritation. "And why the unannounced visit? Last time I checked, invasion of privacy still wasn't a sport."

Undeterred, he chuckled lightly. "Well, Blondie, you know I can't resist a good entrance."

Caroline rolled her eyes with practiced ease, a move she had reserved for Damon's particular brand of interruptions. "Save the theatrics. I'm not in the mood for vampire antics today," she quipped, a barbed retort aimed at deflecting his implicit concern.

Yet, Damon's amusement seemed to ebb away as he took a measured step towards her. The distance between them thinned, and Caroline felt the shift in the air. He shoved his hands into his pockets, his casual stance belying the sudden weight of concern that crested in his voice. "Okay, have you seen Stefan?"

"No, I haven't. And shouldn't you be asking this to Elena instead?" She replied, her eyebrows furrowing with curiosity.

A flicker of worry shadowed Damon's expression, the immortal façade cracking just enough to reveal a trace of human vulnerability. "Damn, you're right," he conceded, his usual confidence flickering like a candle in the wind.

Concern threaded Caroline's words as she stepped closer, her earlier vexation forgotten. "What's going on? Something wrong?"

"He went out in the woods to hunt and didn't come back. I can't get him on his phone," he said, the last vestiges of jest stripped from his voice, leaving only the raw edge of unease.

"Maybe he's with Elena," she offered, the suggestion meant to soothe them both, to calm the roiling sea of anxiety that threatened to burst its banks.

"Yeah, maybe. But I have a bad feeling about this," he confessed, his expression darkening as the beginning ominous storm outside mirrored the growing unease in the room.

♤♤♤♤♤

Damon's relentless knocks echoed through the door, reverberating in the tense silence that hung in the air.

"Pearl! Open this door. I swear to God I'll bust through and rip your head off," he bellowed, his frustration palpable.

The door creaked open, revealing Frederick, a sinister figure with a nonchalant demeanor. "Pearl's not home. Hmm. Beautiful weather. Not a ray of sun in the sky," Frederick remarked, his tone betraying a twisted sense of amusement.

Damon, eyes narrowing with intensity, demanded, "Where's my brother?"

"Ah, Billy," Frederick called, and two vampires dragged Stefan into the dimly lit hallway. Damon's eyes blazed with anger at the sight of his weakened brother.

"You're dead," Damon seethed, his threat hanging in the charged atmosphere.

Frederick, unfazed, continued, "Whoa. I'm sorry. You haven't been invited in. Miss Gibbons?"

The human woman, compelled by the tomb vampires, entered the scene. "Yes, Frederick, honey?" she responded obediently.

"Never let this bad man in," Frederick ordered a malicious glint in his eyes.

"I'll never let him in," Miss Gibbons affirmed, her voice devoid of emotion.

Stefan, struggling against his captors, groaned in pain. Frederick, reveling in the moment, continued, "145 years left starving in a tomb, thanks to Katherine's infatuation with you and your brother. First few weeks, every single nerve in your body screams with fire. The kind of pain that can drive a person mad."

A sly grin played on Frederick's lips as he glanced at Stefan. "Well...I thought your brother might want to get a taste of that before I killed him. Billy," he commanded, and Billy thrust a stake into Stefan with a sickening thud.

Stefan's agonized cry filled the hallway as Frederick coldly declared, "You have a nice day."

♤♤♤♤♤

The shadows grew long as the forest canopy swallowed the waning afternoon light. Caroline's fingers drummed an anxious staccato against the Camaro's steering wheel, the air inside the car thick with tension. In the backseat, Elena shifted restlessly, her eyes darting between Caroline and the path snaking deeper into the woods.

When they'd first arrived at Elena's, cryptic comments about Stefan's disappearance tumbling from his lips, Elena had been a whirlwind of determination. No matter how much Damon scowled and tutted, she refused to be left behind. So eventually, the three set off with Caroline at the navigational reins. Now, they found themselves idling outside the decrepit farmhouse belonging to the reclusive Miss Gibbons -a place where ominous vampires lurked behind closed doors.

The engine humming softly as the minutes ticked by. The silence between them was punctuated by the occasional rustle of leaves outside, the ominous undertones of the storm still lingering.

A trill of anticipation zinged along Caroline's nerves as a familiar figure emerged from the tree line. Without preamble, she threw open the car door, the damp forest floor squishing underfoot as she and Elena hurried to meet Damon.

"Well?" Caroline prompted, her piercing gaze locking with his icy blues as the vampire strode towards them with characteristic swagger.

Elena, concern etching her features, pressed, "Where is he?"

Damon's jaw tightened, that telltale muscle in his cheek twitching. "They have him. I can't get in."

A furrow creased Elena's brow. "What do you mean you can't get to him?"

"Because the woman who owns the house is compelled to not let me in." Damon growled, raking a frustrated hand through his raven locks. "It's barring me from entering."

"Son of a bitch," Caroline hissed, the expletive slipping out before she could catch it.

Ever the impulsive one, Elena straightened her shoulders, that stubborn glint igniting in her warm brown eyes. "Well, if you can't go in, I will."

"Like hell," Damon countered, rounding on her.

Caroline could see the protest forming behind Elena's warm brown eyes. Before her friend could open her mouth, she interjected firmly, "Don't even think about it, Elena. You barging in there is just asking to get yourself killed."

Damon shot Caroline an approving look, his lips quirking into that infuriating smirk she found both maddening and irresistible. "Well, well. Looks like Blondie's the only one using what little brains she has today."

Elena's jaw clenched, her cheeks flushing with a combination of frustration and embarrassment. "If you two are done patronizing me, mind explaining what the hell is going on? Why are they doing this to Stefan?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Damon drawled, rolling his eyes heavenward like Elena was the biggest idiot on the planet. "They want revenge."

"We have to do something!" Elena insisted, that irritating whine creeping into her voice. Like nails on a chalkboard to Damon's ears.

"You think, Gilbert?" Damon's sarcasm was thick enough to cut with a knife. "Good thing we've got your brilliant deductive skills on the case."

Caroline pinched the bridge of her nose, desperately willing away the tension headache starting to build. Why did everything have to be such a drama with these two? "Alright, that's enough. We're completely off the rails here, and the bickering isn't helping."

Elena opened her mouth - probably to offer another inane suggestion - but fortunately seemed to think better of it. She settled for folding her arms across her chest in a peeved sulk. Definitely preferable to her usual verbal diarrhea, in Caroline's opinion.

"You've got a plan, don't you, Caroline?" His voice was low, her name rolling off his tongue in that way that never failed to short-circuit her brain.

She allowed herself a small smile, confidence blooming in her chest. "You know I do. Now are you going to stop being a colossal ass for five minutes so I can lay it out?"

The ghost of a genuine grin played at the corner of Damon's mouth. "By all means, lead the way, Miss Forbes."

♤♤♤♤♤

The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead, casting sterile shadows along the deserted hallway. Alaric Saltzman strode purposefully, his leather shoes striking the linoleum in a clipped cadence. He was a man on a mission-though if you asked him, he couldn't have said precisely what that mission was.

A dark figure materialized from the gloom ahead, blocking his path. Damon Salvatore leaned insolently against the bank of lockers, artfully disheveled in that way of his. An asymmetrical smirk played about his lips as he raked his eyes over Alaric.

"Well, don't you look...alive."

Alaric stilled, body tensing. The air charged between them with the weight of their history-a tangled mess of mistrust, violence, and the faintest whiff of bourbon.
"You can't hurt me," Alaric said, the words a blanket statement that failed to conceal the flicker of uncertainty in his gaze.

Damon pushed off the lockers, moving with that unnatural, predatory grace. "Oh, I can hurt you all right." The threat hung in the air, as palpable as the scent of Damon's latest cologne.

"Mr. Saltzman!"

The urgency in Caroline Forbes's voice sliced through the tension. She materialized at Damon's side, Elena Gilbert on her heels, both drawn in distressed disarray. Caroline thrust her determined chin out as she implored, "We need your help."

Fifteen minutes later, they gathered in Alaric's classroom. The familiar setting-ruled by the scent of chalk dust and aging textbooks-provided a strange contrast to the gravity of their conversation.

"Stefan's trapped in the house," Elena was saying, her eyes rimmed in desperation. "Damon's a vampire. He can't get in. We need you."

She swallowed hard, but managed picked up the plea. "Me and Caroline would go, but..."

"But Blondie's life is too valuable," Damon mocked with an arched brow and a cutting look at Elena. "Yours, on the other hand..."

"I know about your ring," Caroline interjected in her attempt to redirect the conversation.

"What about it?" He questioned, his expression guarded.

A sly grin curved Damon's mouth as he settled back against the edge of a desk, all coiled menace. "Let me recap. You tried to kill me. I defended myself. You died. Then according to my dumbass brother and Barbie over here, your magic ring brought you back to life." He shrugged one shoulder. "Am I leaving anything out?"

"Yeah." Alaric's hands fisted at his sides, tendons straining beneath the skin. "The part where I try to kill you again. Only this time, I don't miss."

"Seriously, Mr. Saltzman, this is no time for a vampire vendetta!" Caroline burst out, spiking one hand through her tousled curls in a gesture of sheer frustration. "We're talking about saving Stefan!"

Elena stepped forward then, hands outstretched in supplication. "Please, Mr. Saltzman. It's Stefan."

For a long moment, Alaric said nothing. Then, almost reluctantly, "I'm sorry, Elena. Caroline. But it's not my problem."

And there it was-the opening Damon had been waiting for with the patience of the eternal predator. He pushed off the desk, stalking a circle around Alaric in a move more panther than man.

"That's a shame. Because the woman in charge of this crowd can help you find your wife."

Alaric froze, his expression unreadable. Then, carefully, "You're lying."

Damon tsked. "Am I? Why don't you ask her yourself?" With a careless shrug, he pivoted on his heel, striding for the door. "Coward. Come on, Blondie."

Caroline fell into step at Damon's side, Elena trailing in their wake. Alaric watched them go, caught in the grips of indecision. His fingers brushed the ring on his hand-cool metal and etchings worn smooth by the passing years. The weight of memories hung about his shoulders like a shroud.

"All right. Wait." The words slipped out, drawn against his will. "I'll go."

♤♤♤♤♤

The dusty classroom radiated an aura of solemnity, its shadows keeping secrets. Alaric Saltzman moved with purpose, sliding open a concealed compartment to reveal an impressive arsenal. Stakes, vervain darts, vervain grenades-all meticulously organized in separate compartments.

"Teacher by day, vampire hunter by night." Damon's mocking drawl sliced through the silence.

Alaric stilled, his expression hardening. "I have you to thank for that."

The sarcasm wasn't lost on Damon. A lazy smirk played about his lips as he leaned insolently against the desk, taking in the deadly display with hooded eyes.

Drawn like a moth to a flame, Caroline drifted closer, her natural curiosity piqued. She plucked up a dart filled with deep purple liquid. "What are these?"

"Tranquilizer darts filled with vervain," Alaric supplied. Seeing her look of appreciation, he added, "Made some of these myself."

Caroline's eyes danced. "These look so much more effective than what the town council uses."

Alaric looked taken aback. "You know about the council?"

The blonde rolled her eyes with typical teenage drama. "Uh, yeah. Duh."

Down to business, Damon cut in. "Just get me in the house. I'll get Stefan out."

Leave it to Elena to be the voice of reason. "That's your plan? Take them all on yourself?" Her delicate features contorted with patent disbelief.

"You couldn't even handle Pearl and Anna," Caroline pointed out with a sideways look at Damon. Concern sharpened the edges of her voice. "That's pretty overconfident."

Damon's eyes narrowed at the slight, but he allowed it to roll off him with signature nonchalance. "I'll be a little stealthier this time. Hopefully."

As Elena toyed with one of the vervain darts, Caroline fought back an eye roll. Drama was imminent, she could sense it.

Sure enough..."Whoa, what are you doing?" Alaric demanded.

Elena straightened, determination igniting her gaze. "I'm going with you."

Caroline sighed loudly. "Here we go..."

"No. No way." Damon was adamant, already shaking his head.

But the human girl pushed on, undeterred. "You need me. I can distract them while you get Stefan out."

"You'll get yourself killed," Damon snapped. His instincts flared. "Not happening."

"Then Caroline can come with me-"

"Don't look at me!" The blonde's hands flew up in protest. "I'm not in the mood for a suicide mission today."

Pivoting, Damon pinned Elena with an intense stare. "When you get me inside, get out fast. I know how to move without them hearing me. You'll just be a liability. And I'm not letting you drag Blondie into this mess."

Though his icy eyes remained locked on Elena, the protective emphasis on Caroline was clear.

Elena opened her mouth to argue, but Damon pressed on, voice hard. "If you insist on helping, you can drive the getaway car. Better yet, let Blondie drive. You can sit in the back where it's safe."

Caroline arched one sculpted brow, looking askance at her self-appointed bodyguard. Damon ignored her, his focus entirely on Elena.

"You can't stop me," the human protested, anguish creasing her features. "It's Stefan!"

"Oh, I understand." Damon's reply dripped with acerbic sarcasm. "His love lifts you up where you belong. I get it."

"Not the time, Damon," Caroline snapped.

But he powered through, railing at Elena now. "I can't protect you! I don't know how many vampires are in there. It only takes one second for your head to get ripped off."

His hands sliced through the air in sharp, biting gestures as he laid it out for her-harsh but necessary truths. "I need to be able to get in and out without distractions. This'll turn into a bloodbath if you're there and I have to worry about your safety. Including Stefan's."

Acidic blue eyes cutting to Elena, Damon delivered the final blow with brutal honesty. "Honestly? I don't care what happens to you. Mark my words-I will not protect you."

The silence that fell was deafening. Caroline recovered first, ever the mediator.

"Look, we get it, Damon." Her tone was surprisingly gentle as she met his turbulent gaze. "But we're going to save Stefan-that's the priority. So let's cut the drama and focus, okay?"

Alaric seemed to shake himself, rejoining the conversation. "If we're going, let's go."

Damon held Caroline's compassionate stare a beat longer before giving a curt nod of agreement. His eyes, however, slid away from Elena without a second glance. The human girl might as well have been a piece of furniture for all the regard he showed her.

It was going to be a long night.

♤♤♤♤♤

Dusk painted the sky in smudged violets and burnt oranges as Alaric approached the looming house. A calculated rap of knuckles against weathered wood summoned forth an imposing figure-Frederick, every inch the vampire patriarch with his harsh features and scrutinizing gaze.

"Oh good, someone's home." Alaric arranged his expression into one of polite discomfort. "Could I use your phone? My car broke down a few miles up the road. This was the first house I saw."

Frederick's eyes raked over the unexpected visitor, searching for any hint of deception. "Well, lucky you."

Alaric gave an amiable chuckle, one hand lifting to rub the back of his neck. "Yeah, lucky me. It's no trouble, is it?"

A serpentine smile curved Frederick's mouth. "Not in the slightest."

With a murmur of thanks, Alaric stepped over the threshold and into the dimly lit foyer. Predatory instincts sparked, his senses going on high alert as he scanned his surroundings with deceptive nonchalance.

"Hey man, I really appreciate it," he said, aiming for casual affability. "It's rough out there."

"Billy!" Frederick didn't spare him a glance. "Show our visitor where the phone is in the kitchen. And get me something to drink."

The minion-Billy-gave a subservient nod. "Yeah, sure thing."

As they moved toward the kitchen, Alaric made a show of studying the archaic decor. "Miss Gibbons, this guy needs to use your phone," Billy addressed the human milling about in an obvious compelled state.

"Oh, sure honey. It's right there." The woman pointed vaguely, her voice devoid of inflection or life.

"Thanks." Alaric moved further into the kitchen, senses attuned to every potential threat.

It came without warning. Billy lunged, stake in hand, aiming for Alaric's heart. But the hunter was faster-catching the rushing vampire's wrist and spinning with precise force to bury the stake deep in Billy's chest. A strangled cry escaped the doomed creature's lips as his body turned to venomous ash.

Alaric wheeled toward the sink, snapping on the faucet and fumbling for the blender to create a diversion. The cacophony of running water and blades whirring to life would mask any further sounds of struggle.

"What's happening?" Miss Gibbons looked around, blinking with dazed incomprehension.

Alaric snagged her arm, holding her glassy stare as he spoke in a low, urgent tone. "I'm really sorry, but you're gonna need to invite a friend of mine inside."

He pulled her toward the front door, revealing Damon waiting on the front step like a coiled panther.

"Oh...I'm sorry." Miss Gibbons blinked again, the compulsion reasserting itself. "He's not allowed in the house."

"I know that," Alaric replied through gritted teeth. "But you have to make an exception."

Damon abandoned all pretext of patience. "Get her out of the house," he commanded in a voice made of steel. His emerald gaze bored into Miss Gibbons. "Now, tell me the truth-are you married?"

She shook her head slowly. "No..."

"Parents? Children? Anyone else living on this property?"

"No. It's just me."

There was no hesitation. No flicker of conscience or remorse. One second she stood before them, the next her body crumpled to the floor in a graceless heap-neck snapped with brutal efficiency.

Damon stepped over the lifeless form, his expression one of grim determination as he breached the house's threshold. All velvet and vibrant life drained from his handsome features, leaving them as cold and unforgiving as granite.

"You were supposed to compel her," Alaric bit out, jaw ticking with disapproval.

Damon cast him a withering look over one shoulder. "It doesn't work that way."

"She is human," Alaric emphasized, his ethical concerns taking precedence.

When Alaric opened his mouth to protest further, Damon silenced him with a single arched brow and succinct dismissal.

"And I'm not. So I don't care." His tone allowed for no argument. "Now get rid of the body."

He strode off without a backward glance, utterly merciless in the pursuit of his mission.

♤♤♤♤♤

The thick blanket of night enveloped Mystic Falls, cloaking the ancient trees in deep shadow. Caroline Forbes stepped out of the car, phone in hand, her eyes scanning the darkness for a flicker of signal strength. She needed to call her dad, to explain the delay in arriving at her stepsister's birthday party.

As she wove between the looming trunks, the inky blackness seemed to swallow her whole. Caroline squinted at the phone's dim screen, willing the signal bars to increase, but the irritating "No Service" icon blinked defiantly. With a sigh, she moved deeper into the woods, searching for a clearing, a pocket free from the trees' encompassing embrace.

Back at the car, Elena Gilbert reached into her purse with slender fingers, retrieving a delicate glass vial. She cradled it in her palm, studying the faint purple liquid sloshing within. So small, so innocuous to contain such power over the undead.

A sudden disturbance shattered the quietude as a tree branch crashed onto the car's windshield. Elena gasped, her heart pounding with a mix of surprise and unease. The night, once tranquil, now crackled with an undercurrent of tension, foreshadowing the impending threat.

♤♤♤♤♤

The call with her dad finally ended, and Caroline headed back to the car, boots crunching over the damp leaves scattered along the forest floor. Clutching her phone, she scanned the shadows pooling in the tree-lined parking area, looking for any sign of threat.

Her footsteps slowed as an unsettling sense of wrongness crept up her spine. The driver's side door hung open like a dark maw, the dome light casting a sickly yellow glow over the empty front seat.

"Seriously?" Caroline's exasperated huff misted the chilly air. "What the hell is wrong with that girl?"

♤♤♤♤♤

The back door creaked open, admitting Caroline in a sliver of inky night. She slipped inside, movements feline and silent as she pressed her lithe frame against the ancient refrigerator. The house seemed to vibrate with malign energy, the atmosphere a minefield of tension. Caroline's pulse thrummed in her ears as her senses went on high alert.

Frederick's rolling baritone echoed from some front room, barking orders for the scattered vampires to reassemble. A surge of adrenaline lanced through her bloodstream and Caroline was moving, propelled by a heady cocktail of fear and determination.

She flitted past the empty kitchen in a blur, hunting urgently for the cellar door she knew must be nearby. There-a narrow staircase led down into shadowed depths, the door at its base yawning open in sinister invitation.

Caroline descended, the darkness swallowing her whole once she crossed the threshold. Her vision struggled to adjust, but eventually made out the vague silhouette of Elena crouched several yards ahead in a defensive stance, vervain syringe extended.

Another form materialized from the blackness in that silent, predatory way only the undead could manage. Damon straightened to his full towering height, expressionless features somehow conveying disdain.

"Are you insane?" The words dripped acid contempt.

With a lurch of panic, Caroline realized they hadn't yet registered her presence. But more urgently, another figure lurked behind Elena-a sinister crimson glint betraying inhuman eyes as it crept forward with clear malicious intent.

There was no time to shout a warning. Elena was oblivious, her entire focus centered on the confrontation with Damon. Heart thundering, Caroline snatched a vervain dart from the vial tucked into her boot and hurled it with every ounce of strength. It sliced through the air in a deadly arc, punching straight through the vampire's chest to pierce the desiccated heart.

A shriek of unearthly anguish split the gloom as he crumpled into a pile of ash.

Elena whirled, features awash with shock until her gaze landed on Caroline hovering behind her. "How did you...?"

"Barbie?" Damon's glacial stare raked over the petite blonde, eyes narrowing with a dangerous edge. "What are you doing here?"

That low rasp did funny things to the pit of Caroline's belly, despite her raging adrenaline. She straightened into a casual lean against the dank wall-the picture of easy insouciance she was far from feeling.

"I couldn't just let Elena be stupid alone," she drawled, with an arched brow. Sarcasm coated her words. "So I decided we could be stupid together."

To her surprise, Damon's full lips curved in a sensual half-smile, though wariness banked his stare. As if sizing up an unexpected plot twist. Caroline refused to let it rattle her.

"We need to get Stefan," Elena cut in, her tone edged with urgency.

For a suspended moment, no one moved. Then Damon exhaled and launched into planning mode with typical arrogant decisiveness.

Not before slanting Caroline an inscrutable look from under those ridiculously long lashes. A flicker of admiration and confusion washed across his chiseled features-laced with a hint of wicked speculation.

He'd underestimated the tiny, curvy blonde. Her aim had been nothing short of impeccable. He wondered how he hadn't noticed her presence earlier and marveled at the precision of a seemingly amateur human who hadn't faced vampires before. But how was that possible?

♤♤♤♤♤

The dank cellar walls seemed to press inward, adding to the claustrophobic weight of captivity. Stefan and Harper languished in the musty shadows, the latter splayed on the dirt floor-limbs staked in gruesome violation for daring to defy Frederick's dominance.

"Thank you," Stefan murmured, offering words of gratitude to the bound vampire. "For trying to help me."

Harper's unfocused eyes drifted his way, before sliding away in resignation. "They just needed someone to punish."

The cellar door creaked open, a stark rectangle of dim light fracturing the gloom. Caroline entered first, skimming the shadowed recesses with wary blue eyes. Behind her, Damon loomed like a panther, bracketing her protectively with his powerful frame. Even Elena trailing in their wake could not command his attention or concern. The depth of Damon's fixed focus on the tiny blonde was as visceral as it was confounding.

"You both shouldn't be here." Stefan lurched upright against his restraints, green eyes going wide.

"To be honest, I didn't want to be either." Caroline's trademark candor sliced through the tension with typical bluntness. "If it wasn't for your girlfriend," she jerked her chin at Elena, "we'd still be in the car."

Damon had already crossed the uneven floor to crouch before Harper, fangs bared in a feral sneer of loathing.

"Don't! Not him." Stefan struggled against his bonds, pleading urgently.

"Whatever." The word emerged a careless proclamation of disdain as Damon batted the concern aside. "Let's get you out."

As Caroline moved toward Stefan, intent on freeing him, Damon reacted with predatory swiftness-seizing her wrist to halt her advance. The possessive move drew Elena's incredulous stare and Caroline's arched brow.

"Not you, Barbie," he growled. Then to Elena, all curt impatience... "You. Pull that rope."

The command brooked no argument. Elena complied, wincing in synchrony with Stefan as the vervain-saturated ropes burned his flesh.

"Alright, let's go. Clothes on," Damon directed, his tone laced with impatience and the full weight of imminent threat. "Then we're out of-"

"Wait." Stefan halted their hasty departure plan with that single weighted word.

Eyes narrowing to glacial slits, Damon turned a look of pure exasperation on his younger brother. "What? We have to get out of here."

Stefan merely gestured to Harper. After a fraught pause, he and Elena went to work carefully extracting the stakes from the vampire's thighs. As Caroline moved to assist, Damon reacted again-wrist flashing out to snag her elbow and halt her forward momentum.

"Will you stop doing that?" she snapped, jerking her arm free in a move that drew open surprise from Elena.

"No." Damon didn't spare her a glance-flinty eyes remaining locked on the scene before them. "You stay right here. They've got it covered."

Stefan grunted, muscles straining as he wrenched the first stake free. Harper hissed through gritted teeth as his ruined flesh began to knit itself whole.

"Let's go," Damon growled, impatience reaching a fever pitch.

With a sickening squelch, the second stake slid from Harper's other thigh. The freed vampire cried out-an inhuman rasp of pure agony. Elena flinched, clearly shaken. Caroline's expression remained serene, steadfast in the face of the brutality. Damon's hooded gaze raked over her with unreadable intensity.

"Can you both get him to the car?" His focus snapped to the humans, the words crisp with authority. No room for argument.

"Yeah, of course," Caroline and Elena chorused, propelled to action by the urgency suffusing every syllable.

"Then go." Damon looked to Caroline one last time, and something unspoken passed between them in the weighted silence-a promise and a command all in one.

"What about you?" she demanded, slow to turn away.

"I'll distract." That mouth, so skilled at crafting sinful promises, curved in a smile utterly devoid of mirth. "You rescue. Go."

For an extended beat, Caroline wavered, her troubled gaze holding his with palpable resistance. Until at last, reluctantly..."Wait." She whipped around to face Stefan and Elena, already angling for the exit. "You two go ahead. I'll catch up."

All eyes went to Damon, awaiting either protest or permission. He gave a curt nod, silently granting her delay. A muscle ticked in his stubbled jaw, the only hint of the emotions roiling beneath that mask of composure.

Elena shot Caroline a weighted look before hustling Stefan up the rickety steps. Damon pivoted, but Caroline was already in motion. From the tuck of her waistband, she produced a sleek handgun-all matte black and wicked promise.

"Here." Her tone brooked no refusal as she pressed the weapon into his upturned palm. "Take this."

Confusion flickered across his striking features as he weighed the gun in one hand. "A gun wouldn't help with vampires. It has no effect on us,"

"I know that, idiot." Her response held a sly lilt to match the spark igniting in those crystalline eyes. "Wooden bullets. Laced with vervain."

There it was-a ghost of a smile, fueled by surprise and grudging appreciation. "Smart, Barbie. Where did you get these?"

Rather than bristle at the diminutive pet name, Caroline softened. Drew a fraction closer until they occupied the same heated sphere of air. "Not the time for that," she murmured huskily. "Just take it, and..."

She faltered, distress bleeding into her expression as insecurity gnawed at her resolve. Damon watched her from under those obscenely long lashes, his wolfish smirk softening by a fleeting degree.

"Stay safe?"

"Someone's worried about me." Low and rough, that wicked slash of a mouth curving higher with sinful promise.

An exasperated sound punched from her chest as she rolled her eyes in exaggerated disdain. "You never stop, do you?"

His laugh was low, wicked, verbalbreath spilling across her skin in a warm teasing caress. For a moment-a single crystalline second-there were no puppydog brothers or irritating humans to distract from the scorching heat igniting between them.

Then Damon blinked, amusement shuttering away behind those fathomless blue depths. He straightened to his full towering height and gave a terse nod-ending their clandestine exchange as swiftly as it had begun.

Because up above-in the crumbling depths of Miss Gibbon's former home-something infinitely more dangerous than bratty humans was stirring. Frederick's ears had pricked at the unsettling silence, and with a few barked commands, the hunt was on.

♤♤♤♤♤

Relief flooded Elena's veins as she guided Stefan's battered form into the car, easing him carefully against the passenger door. Her shaking fingers circled to the driver's side, ready to turn the key and put this nightmare behind them. Only to freeze as her questing hand met empty space on the ignition.

"Stefan..." She swiveled to face him, dread sluicing through her like icewater.

A deafening crash shattered the silence as the window beside Stefan exploded inward in a glittering spray of shards. Before either of them could react, Frederick's hate-twisted visage filled the empty frame. With one brutal yank, he hauled Stefan bodily from the vehicle, allowing no opportunity for resistance.

The beating commenced without preamble.

"Aah! Ugh! Uunhh!" Each punishing blow wrenched a guttural cry from Stefan's slender frame as he twisted futilely against the onslaught. Elena shrank back, hands fisted in the fabric of her shirt as whimpers of shared agony escaped her lips.

"This is for Beth-Anne." Frederick growled the words like a perverse liturgy, punctuating each with another crushing strike.

Stefan's torso contorted in waves of shuddering anguish, the meaty thwacks of knuckles slamming into flesh shattering the night's serenity in a gory cadence. He fought to remain conscious through sheer force of will, met only by a ruthless disregard for mercy.

Snarling like a feral creature, Frederick snatched up a hefty branch lying amidst the loamy detritus scattered at their feet. With an animalistic grunt of exertion, he drove it deep into Stefan's abdomen.

The scream that parted his victim's lips could have curdled demon blood. It reverberated through the shadowed tree trunks like the ethereal shriek of a banshee-cutting through the night's tranquility and stamping Elena's soul with a new dimension of terror.

"And this-" Frederick rammed the makeshift stake deeper on an upward angle, tearing a fresh wail from Stefan, "is for the tomb."

"No!" Elena's shrill negation was utterly dwarfed by the wet, organic sounds of violence.

Trembling hands fumbled in her pockets for the slim syringe of vervain, the distilled essence of Mystic Falls' dark legacy. Wondrously, her numb fingers managed to work the protective cap free despite their frantic shaking. She surged from the car, desperation lending her feet wings as she rushed toward the convulsing tableau.

The needle lanced out, aimed with all the wild desperation of the damned at the nape of Frederick's exposed neck-

Only to be caught in an unbreakable vise as he whipped around with preternatural swiftness. One jerking motion sent Elena crashing against the unyielding trunk of an ancient oak, her vision exploding into bursts of grey as fire lanced along her spine. She blinked dazedly, entire perception narrowed to the swirling maelstrom of anguish consuming her as Frederick stalked closer-fist pulling back for the death blow that would end her human fragility once and for all.

A muffled grunt punched from his chest as something blurred across Elena's vision to bury itself in the meat of his jugular with meaty finality. Those fathomless black eyes went wide, registering shock as he swayed drunkenly in place. And then, slowly, that terrible form crumpled to reveal Caroline standing in its wake-delicate features set in an unconscious mask of determination as she cradled the dart gun against her breastbone.

"Caroline..." Squeezing her eyes shut, Elena willed her vision to stop swimming as she levered herself upright. "Thank god. Stefan-"

The words dissolved into a hitching sob as she caught sight of his ravaged state. Caroline was already moving to crouch at his side, slim fingers encircling the protruding length of branch still buried in his lower abdomen. With a sharp tug, she wrenched the gory stake free-unmindful of Elena's cut-off shriek or the crimson spray that pattered across her pale, frozen features.

"Stefan. Stefan, no..."

Elena crawled the remaining distance, hovering over him as panic leached all strength from her limbs. Her hands fluttered uselessly over his contorted face and churning torso as she babbled his name in a breathless, terror-stricken litany.

"Stefan! Stefan!"

His eyelids fluttered-fractional movements that revealed searing pinpricks of soulless obsidian swiftly devouring the humanity in his gaze. Elena fell silent, choking on a sob as she recognized the unmistakable rictus of insatiable hunger ravaging his features.

"He needs blood," Caroline stated with chilling practicality.

♤♤♤♤♤

The house creaked and groaned around Alaric as he worked with urgent efficiency, thumbs flying over the dart gun to reload the chamber. His pulse thrummed a insistent cadence, every sense attuned to the slightest hint of approaching threat. This entire situations reeked of desperation-a prolonged game of risk and foolhardy bravery.

Movement flickered at his periphery, liquid shadows coalescing into a solid form much too fast to be human. Alaric reacted on instinct honed by years of combat training. He pivoted, bringing the dart gun to bear in a smooth arc as the vampire launched itself at him with snapping jaws and outstretched talons.

Their bodies collided in a brutal tangle, slamming to the hardwood in a grappling mesh of flailing limbs. Razor fangs descended, aiming for the pulsing artery in Alaric's throat. With a muffled grunt of exertion, he fought the massive strength bearing down on him, fingers scrabbling for purchase on the dart gun pinned between their convulsing bodies.

Abruptly, he wrenched it free, burying the needle deep in his attacker's straining neck. A feral snarl ripped from that gaping maw as the sedative took immediate effect. Dead weight went entirely limp, body turning to ash that disintegrated between Alaric's shaking fingers.

He surged upright, sides heaving as he fought to control his ragged breaths. Damon's tall, leather-clad form materialized from the shadows like a revenant given flesh, those glacial eyes regarding Alaric with banked calculation.

"Frederick's gone."

The curt statement landed with leaden weight amid the strained gasps filling the corridor. Of course the sadistic bastard wouldn't stay put. Alaric raked a hand over his sweat-damp features, glaring toward the open doorway that beckoned with unspoken threat.

"Let's get out of here," he growled, body tensing for the next ambush.

Damon didn't so much as blink at the sensible suggestion. "I'm gonna kill him."

Muscles coiled beneath that iconic black shirt as if preparing to shed the thin veneer of humanity altogether. Alaric swallowed a surge of instinctive wariness, weighing the odds. They were woefully outnumbered and outmatched. Logic dictated they retreat to lick their wounds and fight another day.

But all the logic in the world meant precisely shit when it came to vampires like Damon Salvatore.

Twin shadows detached from the looming tree line as they emerged into the hazy moonlight pooling across the overgrown lawn. A menacing array of predatory silhouettes flickered at the edges of Alaric's vision-shapes too massive and too numerous to be entirely human.

"How many vervain darts you have left?" Damon's tone remained low and measured, but an unmistakable edge had crept in.

Alaric's jaw ticked as he swapped a fresh clip into the dart gun. "One." And with the slightest insinuation of challenge... "How many bullets?"

Damon quirked one brow, eyes glittering like shards of emerald in the darkness. The barest hint of a smirk curved his lips as more vampires emerged in a steady trickle from the tree line, their hulking frames illuminated in sporadic flashes by the dappled moonbeams. His gaze remained locked on Alaric as he answered with lethal succinctness.

"Not enough."

The words hung between them in a ripe bloom of silence-a death knell and a promise woven into three skimpy syllables. Alaric exhaled a low, grim breath, squaring his stance as he re-sighted along the dart gun's barrel.

This wasn't going to be pretty.

♤♤♤♤♤

The woods surrounded them like a menacing embrace, the shadows stretching long across the leaf-strewn ground. Caroline's heart pounded in her chest as she took in the dire situation before her - Stefan, weakened from his brutal torture, stretched motionless on the forest floor while Elena hovered over him, fear etched into her delicate features.

Wheels turned rapidly in Caroline's mind as she recalled the stash of blood bags Damon had grudgingly collected for emergencies such as this. "There's animal blood in the car," she called out, the words tumbling urgently from her lips. "Let me get it!"

Without waiting for a response, Caroline turned on her heel and sprinted back towards the parked vehicles, fallen twigs snapping beneath the frantic pounding of her feet. Behind her, Elena's tremulous voice pierced the tense silence as she pleaded with the motionless Stefan. "Stefan, please...Stefan! Oh god, Stefan, get up. Please get up!"

As she reached out to gently cup his face, Elena's eyes caught the trickle of blood welling up from a nick on her hand. An idea sparked within her and she quickly positioned her bleeding wrist before Stefan's pale lips. "Here," she insisted, a tremor of fearful determination in her tone. "Take this."

But Stefan, ever the protective martyr, rasped out a warning between bloodless lips. "Elena...please run."

"No." The single syllable was firm, unyielding as she pushed her wrist closer. His protest came again, the word strained. "Please..."

Elena's jaw set in a stubborn line. "No. I trust you." With that, she guided her wrist to his mouth, heedless of the risk.

It was at that moment that Caroline came tearing back through the treeline, a pillowcase clutched in her white-knuckled grip and sloshing with the contents of the bottle. "God, Elena, you shouldn't have done tha--" The rest of her scolding caught in her throat as she registered the scene before her.

♤♤♤♤♤

"So the story you fed me about my wife to get me involved in this mess...it was all a lie, wasn't it?" Alaric's words cut through the heavy atmosphere like a knife, his tone edged with frustration and a sense of profound betrayal.

Across the dimly lit living room, Damon leaned back against the wall, the picture of casual indifference. A sly grin played across his lips as he met Alaric's accusation with a simple, "Yep."

The night air hung thick with tension as Pearl and Anna strode into the room, their eyes instantly narrowing at the charged scene unfolding before them. Pearl's gaze flicked from Alaric, still gripping the dart gun, to Damon's maddeningly nonchalant form. Her curiosity quickly morphed into anger as she caught sight of several motionless bodies scattered nearby - her vampire comrades.

"What is going on here?" Pearl's voice was edged with a dangerous calm as she surveyed the carnage. "What have you done?"

Damon's piercing eyes locked onto hers, his demeanor shifting as the smile melted from his lips. "Me? Your merry little vampire gang spent the day torturing my brother."

The cold revelation hung in the air like a lead weight, sending a ripple through the room. Anna's eyes went wide with belated realization while regret and disbelief played across Pearl's features.

"I assure you, those responsible will be dealt with severely." Pearl's authoritative tone brooked no argument as her eyes raked over the tense, conflicted faces surrounding them.

But Damon remained utterly unfazed, firing back with a sardonic smirk, "This little 'arrangement' you want won't work unless you learn to control your people."

A flicker of frustration broke through Pearl's icy composure. "This wasn't meant to happen."

"Well, it did." Damon's voice turned cold and unforgiving. "And if I had a good side left, this definitely isn't the way to get on it."

With a curt nod towards Alaric, Damon signaled it was time to exit this powderkeg situation. As they slipped out the front door into the ominous night, it creaked shut behind them with a haunting finality. The inky shadows of Mystic Falls seemed to stretch longer and deeper, enveloping them in their cold embrace as they ventured forth, leaving an entire room's worth of simmering conflicts and veiled threats unresolved in their wake.

♤♤♤♤♤

Deep in the shadowy woods, a sinister confrontation was unfolding. Frederick, his strength partially renewed after shaking off the effects of the vervain, advanced on Stefan with menacing purpose. In his grip, a hefty branch became a formidable weapon as he closed the distance between them.

But Stefan wasn't about to be victimized again. With reflexes honed by his vampire abilities, he intercepted Frederick's attack, slamming him back against the unforgiving bark of a massive tree trunk. The tables turned in an instant as Stefan wrenched the branch free, his movements driven by a swift, feral determination.

"Argh! Aah! Aah!" Stefan's guttural grunts echoed through the night as he rained blow after blow down upon Frederick's undead form, repeatedly driving the thick branch into his adversary's chest. The violent struggle played out beneath the gnarled canopy, the air thick with tension and that metallic scent that preceded bloodshed.

On the periphery, Elena found herself caught in the grips of terror and concern for the man she loved, her horror mounting with each savage strike. "Stefan! Stefan, stop!" she pleaded desperately, instinctively moving to intervene.

But before she could take another step, Caroline was there, her protective instincts kicking in as she pulled Elena back from the gruesome scene. "Elena, stay back," she urged, her voice laced with gentle command as she shielded her friend.

Lost in the throes of his unbridled rage and high on human blood, Stefan seemed not to hear Elena's cries, his mind consumed by the primal need to destroy his tormentor once and for all. When the human's pleading finally reached him that he paused, the full realization of his actions crashing over him like a tidal wave. His vampire visage remained contorted in that fearsome mask, yet his eyes betrayed the horror of a man still grappling with the monster within.

It was at that fraught moment that Damon and Alaric arrived to survey the grisly aftermath, the lingering scent of fresh blood saturating the night air. Damon's eyes narrowed as he took in the scene, his voice cutting through the tension. "What the hell happened here?"

Caroline held her protective stance before Elena, offering Damon a solemn response. "Honestly? You don't want to know."

♤♤♤♤♤

The drive back into town was a comfortable silence, the rhythmic swishing of the windshield wipers the only sound. Damon stole sidelong glances at Caroline, admiring the determined set of her jaw, the delicate slope of her nose. She was so different from the Bundle of Neuroses he'd first met - confident, strong, in a way that eluded him still.

The Camaro's tires spun against the rain-slicked roads as Damon pulled up to the place Caroline called home. He ushered Caroline inside with an exaggerated flourish.

"Safe travels, Blondie. Try not to get sacrificed by any pagan run-a-muck cults on the way."

Her soft laughter was the last thing he heard before Stefan and Elena's sickeningly saccharine voices drowned it out.

All too soon, they reached the stately gates of the Salvatore boarding house. Elena and Stefan exited first, hands entwined like lovesick teenagers as Damon looked on with an exaggerated eye roll. He couldn't stand the puppy love between his brooding brother and the insufferable doppelgänger.

As they disappeared inside, Damon lingered behind, craving the sweet burn of bourbon to dull the night's events. He needed a damn drink after shepherding the "Scooby squad" through those woods. Sliding behind the wheel, he peeled out towards the Mystic Grill, a twisted smirk playing across his lips.

The grill was a safe haven, smoky and reeking of stale beer - a perfect escape from the never-ending magic melodrama. Damon sidled up to the bar where Alaric was hunched over a tumbler of amber liquid.

"That was fun earlier," Damon quipped, blue eyes glinting with mischief despite his sullen mood. "Don't gimme that look. I know you hate me. Hell, everyone does except maybe Blondie."

Alaric shot him a withering glare. "You have a seriously twisted definition of 'fun'."

"Oh, come on, Mr. History-teacher-turned-vampire-hunter. You have to admit, we were pretty badass out there." Damon's trademark smirk was firmly in place as he signaled the bartender for a drink.

That did it. Alaric's fist connected with Damon's smug jaw in a satisfying crack of flesh on flesh.

"Uhh. Happens," he shrugged, tilting his head from side to side to work out the crick in his neck.

But Alaric was already stalking off, shoulders tense with residual fury. Damon shook his head in a blend of amusement and exasperation. Hunching over the glossy bar top, he pulled out his phone and tapped out a text to the one person whose presence always managed to brighten his day.

Now alone at the bar, Damon nursed the throbbing ache in his jaw, slender fingers plucking his phone from his pocket almost of their own accord. A hint of concern flickered across his face as he dialed the number etched into his undead heart.

"So, Barbie..." His smooth drawl greeted her casual answer, tone hardening at the crackle of static over the line. "Stuck in a maze of backwoods and bad signals? Isn't that just a classic horror movie setup?"

Caroline's response was barely audible over the low rumble of thunder and the persistent drum of raindrops pelting the Camaro's roof. "Oh great, because my life isn't dramatic enough without turning it into a horror film."

Worry creased Damon's brow at the strained edge to her tone. He leaned in closer, cradling the phone against his ear as if the minimal distance would somehow boost the signal strength. "Where are you? I can barely hear you over all the white noise."

"Storm washed out Route 5," her voice shuddered and crackled like a faulty radio transmission. "Now I'm detoured on some random backwoods path to hell."

Despite his growing unease, Damon's lips twitched with his trademark snark. "Ah, the scenic route. Great choice there, Miss Mystic Falls."

He could practically envision the annoyed purse of her lips as Caroline shot back, "Well, you know, I thought I'd take the road less traveled by entitled vampires."

Raking a hand through his inky locks, Damon blew out a harsh breath. "Maybe you shouldn't have gone in the first place," he chided gently, unable to resist the dig, "And you definitely shouldn't be chatting on the phone while driving death-trap back roads in this downpour."

"I know, I know." Her tone was laced with the same fond exasperation he'd come to depend on over their months-long companionship. "I need to get one of those little Bluetooth thingies you're always raving about."

A rare pang of unease flickered through Damon's undead body at the intermittent crackle of their tenuous connection.

"Look, you're breaking up," he advised, the strain in his own voice belying the deep-rooted affection he normally kept so carefully guarded. "Just turn around and head back the way you came, okay? And for God's sake, keep your pretty blue eyes on the road."

A fleeting pause, then - "Okay."

And just like that, the call disconnected with an ominous finality, swallowed up by the howling storm ravaging the night. Damon stared at the silent phone cradled in his palm, jaw clenched against a rising tide of something he refused to put a name to.

♤♤♤♤♤

The rain lashed mercilessly against Caroline's windshield in jagged streaks, the wipers straining to keep up with the relentless downpour. She squinted through the gloom, knuckles white on the steering wheel as she wrestled with the mud-slicked backroad, willing her tires to find purchase. But the more she gunned the engine, the deeper the car seemed to sink into the mire.

"You've got to be kidding me!" she growled, smacking the steering wheel in a rare show of frustration.

Of all the nights for her to take an ill-advised detour, it had to be this one - a night when the heavens themselves seemed to conspire against her. Gritting her teeth, Caroline threw the gear into reverse and slammed her foot down, the tires spinning uselessly in the quagmire.

"Come on, you stupid piece of-"

Her curses dissolved into a guttural groan as the engine whined in protest, stalling with a pathetic splutter. Slumping back against the rain-dampened leather seat, Caroline blew a stray lock of soaked hair from her eyes and glared through the windshield.

"Just perfect," she sighed, realizing her seemingly innocent detour had escalated into a formidable predicament. Alone in the tempest, she surveyed the surroundings, hoping for a less treacherous path or a glimmer of assistance.

"Damon better not be laughing at me right now," she muttered, as she reached for her phone, fingers tapping with frustration as she attempted to call Damon. However, the storm had claimed her phone's functionality, leaving her in the dark both literally and figuratively.

♤♤♤♤♤

The storm showed no signs of relenting as Caroline clambered over the rain-slicked embankment, her designer boots sinking into the saturated earth with every treacherous step. Clutching her phone with a white-knuckled grip, she pivoted slowly, straining to catch even the faintest glimmer of a signal bar.

Just when she was about to concede defeat and retreat to the relative safety of her car, the screen flickered to life with a solitary bar, dim but pulsating with promise. A breathless laugh of relief escaped her lips as she edged closer to the riverbank, the rush of the swollen current nearly drowning out the pattering of rain against her upturned face.

So focused was she on maintaining that tenuous connection to the world beyond the backwoods, Caroline failed to notice the loose gravel shifting treacherously beneath her muddied soles. One minute she was extending her arm, and the next, the ground was disappearing from beneath her feet in a sickening lurch. A startled cry tore from her throat as she tumbled head-over-heels down the slick embankment, mud and rain and gravel pelting every exposed inch of flesh.

Instinctively, she flung out one hand, fingers scrambling for purchase against the unforgiving slope, only to latch onto what she assumed was a fallen tree branch. But the sickly squelch that greeted her grasp made her stomach plummet straight through the pit of her gut. Breath hitching, she pried open eyes already swollen with mud and rain to find herself mere inches from a decomposing face, eyes sunken and lips peeled back in a ghastly, everlasting rictus.

In the split-second it took for her mind to catch up, to recognize the mottled, waterlogged flesh as what remained of Vicki Donovan, Caroline scrambled backward with a shriek that pierced the darkness. Her mouth gaped in a soundless scream of abject horror as she propelled herself up the slope, slipping and sliding in the deluge until her back slammed against the unforgiving trunk of an oak tree.

Heaving ragged breaths that steamed the chilled night air, Caroline stared down at the gruesome remains illuminated in the sickly glow of her phone's flashlight. Of all the scenarios her vivid imagination had painted, stumbling across Vicki's long-missing body during this ill-timed road trip had never even cracked the top ten. She squeezed her eyes shut, nails biting crescent moons into her palms as she willed her gag reflex to subside.

This was how the council dealt with vampire?

♤♤♤♤♤

The flickering candlelight cast macabre shadows dancing across the musty confines of the dimly lit study. Damon's boots left faint prints in the dust motes swirling through the silvery beams as he stepped into the claustrophobic space. The air was thick with the cloying tang of desiccated blood - the almost cloyingly sweet aroma that haunted every inch of the Salvatore boarding house's ancient bones.

Squinting through the gloom, Damon's piercing gaze found its target, zeroing in on the slumped form huddled in the far corner. Crimson droplets spattered the hardwood in an abstract pattern, evidence of the gruesome tableau that had played out behind closed doors. A muscle ticked in his chiseled jaw as he took in the crumpled blood bags strewn carelessly across the Aubusson rug, now little more than drained husks.

"Well, well," Damon's lips curved into a mirthless smirk as he slowly prowled closer. "Someone's been a very naughty ripper..."

Stefan remained motionless save for the subtle rise and fall of his shoulders, his back rigid against the ancient oak wainscoting. Only the faint rasp of his breathing and the rhythmic tapping of rain against the windows broke the stifling silence shrouding the room.

Damon's sharp inhalation was a hiss of disapproval as he reached his brother's side, mouth set in a grim line. Even after a century and a half, the sight of Stefan drowning beneath the relentless riptide of his bloodlust never failed to churn his undead guts. His keen eyes raked over the younger Salvatore - the tousled chestnut waves, skin sallow and chest heaving with the exertion of his inner battle, fingers trembling around the drained blood bag clutched protectively to his marble chest.

For an endless moment, Damon simply studied him, a muscle ticking in his hardened jaw as he drank in every twitch and aborted shudder, every flicker of torment swimming through those bottle-green depths. His brother's entire being was a portrait of anguish, limned in shades of wretched hunger and self-loathing that cut far too close to the bone.

_______________________________

A/N: That was the end of chapter 28.

So I am back 🫣 please spare the rotten tomatoes 🍅 🤧.

I know that it has been a WHILE since I have updated for that I apologize.

This is probably the longest chapter I have ever written. About 25,000 words 🫢

I am also in the process of editing and merging chapters since the first few chapters are pretty short.

I love books 📚 and writing is a hobby I took up in Covid which has now stuck. I never expected this fic to get the love it has been getting and for that, I am extremely grateful 🙏

I can't believe that it has crossed 200k reads and it's all thanks to you all, my beautiful readers 🥹

Thank you for having the patience to bear with my extremely slow
updates 🐢.

I know I have been updating like a Blackpink comeback but bear with me. Only 2 chapters left for Season 1 to end 🤞🏻

Next chapter will be the Miss Mystic Falls pagent, so you guys get to choose Caroline's dress coz the green one was horrendous.

Here are the options:

Let me know your favorite 🌟

Until next time👋🏻

✍✍✍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3.9K 22
What would happen if our beloved Bonnie Bennett had family that was truly in her corner, knew the ups and downs of her life and was always willing to...
3.2K 98 31
Jealousy, lies, friendships, envy and sabotage. Caroline needs a change of people but she doesn't know it nor does she want it. A strange past, a few...
11.3K 61 55
Alexandra Petrova, Katherine's older sister. What happens when the Salvatore Brothers come back home to Mystic Falls? Will Alexandra stay and help? W...
456K 9K 23
On Star's 21st birthday she had found out that she is the unum praeditos, that her purpose for being on the earth is to fight the evil that will be u...