Hush, My Sweet Darling

By cantiara

A young woman and a cop find themselves in over their heads as they try to protect their new love in a world... More

Preface
Accomplishments
Prologue
Chapter 1: On One Golden Twilight
Chapter 2: A Suffocating Lottery
Chapter 3: She Was the Selfish One
Chapter 4: The Affairs of the Heart
Chapter 5: Beautiful Painting
Chapter 6: Dropped Bodies
Chapter 7: Life is for the Living
Chapter 8: It Ain't No Hogwash
Chapter 9: A Tremendous Treasure
Chapter 10: No Longer Digging in Her Heels
Chapter 11: Not Heartbroken at All
Chapter 12: Classy But Cuss A Little
Chapter 13: Throwing in the Towel
Chapter 14: On Independence
Chapter 15: Putting Two And Two Together
Chapter 16: The Babe and the Maggot
Chapter 17: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Chapter 18: Handsome Elevator Guy
Chapter 19: Second Encounter
Chapter 20: A Nameless Dread
Chapter 21: Luxury Problem
Chapter 22: Gravitation
Chapter 23: Familiar Stranger
Chapter 24: Are We Friends?
Chapter 25: Not Her Pimp
Chapter 26: Giving the Game Away
Chapter 27: Taking the Flak
Chapter 28: The Phone Call
Chapter 29: Time to Kick the Bucket
Chapter 30: Something Didn't Add Up
Chapter 31: Of a Cesspool and a Septic Tank
Chapter 32: Bid Rigging
Chapter 33: Five Years
Chapter 34: The Sweet-looking Girl at the Stream
Chapter 35: A Night to Remember
Chapter 36: Daddy's Girl
Chapter 37: Seafood
Chapter 39: Is the Cat Out of the Bag?
Chapter 40: Magic
Chapter 41: Time to Gloat
Chapter 42: Inevitably Flawed
Chapter 43: Jackpot!
Chapter 44: Fickle Finger of Fate
Chapter 45: The Other Woman
Chapter 46: Special Task Force
Chapter 47: A Date
Chapter 48: A Rosebud and the Long Game
Chapter 49: His Past

Chapter 38: Soirée

40 8 45
By cantiara

Wednesday finally arrived. Violet sat on a little settee inside her clothes room. Legs crossed, elbow touching her knee, and chin propped on hand, she was staring at the little chiffon dress in a champagne-blush color that was neatly hung on a single rack, separated from all of her other clothes. It had a fitted embroidered bodice, a sweetheart neckline, an open back, and a flirty flared skirt that would make her look like a graceful ballerina.

Her mom had prepared this dress for her to wear at dinner that evening. It was a lovely dress, really. Yet, she couldn't restrain herself from frowning.

When she'd agreed to the dinner last Saturday, she didn't object to being introduced to Aunt Yue's nephew. After all, there was no harm in it—she had just broken up with Adam, and most importantly, she trusted her mom's judgment. But seeing her mom's liveliness that entire day, seemingly so eager for her to meet the man, she felt a bit uneasy.

Because it was different now—now, she liked someone. And that person... seemed to like her, too.

She grabbed her phone and stared at the messages they exchanged yesterday morning. He told her he'd pick her up at 5 PM on Friday.

There's a lot to do before dinner, one of his messages said.

When she'd refused to be picked up, saying she could drive to the place herself, he'd called:

"Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to pick up my date instead of meeting her at the location," he said as soon as she picked up the phone. He spoke so straightforwardly it made her blush.

"Then pick me up at my dorm."

A moment of silence ensued before his deep, gravelly voice rang in her ear again.

"Aren't you staying at your parents' place this week?"

"Yes..."

"You don't want me to pick you up at your parents' place?"

Violet gulped. Her quietness betrayed her answer.

"Are you planning to hide our dinner from your parents?" he asked.

He surely knew how to hit the nail on the head, didn't he?

"They... they're very protective of me, and I don't know how to explain to them that I'm going out for dinner with someone they don't know..." she mumbled, toying with a lock of her hair.

Another moment of silence followed.

"Miss Lee," he addressed her in his magnetic voice. "I'm sure I've made it quite clear that I'm asking you out because I'm interested in you."

Not knowing what to say, Violet only tightened her hold on her phone. "I plan to pursue you, and I'd like to do that openly," he said, "I'm way past the age of a teenager who'd secretly take a girl out on a date behind their parents' back."

She heard him add, "If your concern about your parents comes from the fact that I'm a stranger to them, then all the more reason for me to greet them and introduce myself properly. I don't wish to take their daughter out sneakily like a thief."

His confidence and forwardness made Violet's heart thump even louder. Still twirling her hair, she bit her lower lip and heard him chuckle. "Don't worry. There won't be any reason for them to disapprove of me. I'll be on my best behavior." 

She let out a long sigh. It looked like she'd have to come clean to her parents about Friday. About this man, Kai Wu. She decided she'd tell her mom first and then ask her mom to help break the news to her dad.

But... after dinner. Yes, she'd do it after dinner.

She checked the clock and saw it was almost 6 PM. She drew out another sigh and got up from the settee. It was time to get ready.

***

Violet came down to the main living room to a fidgety mother, who was in the middle of scrutinizing the floral arrangements she'd ordered for the dinner party. Violet took a moment to watch her. 

Dressed in an elegant tea-length gown in latte color, her mother looked so classically exquisite. Her hair sleek on top with just the ends tonged into soft waves. She looked like a movie star from the 50s. That evening, especially, her sophisticated beauty was accentuated by that form-fitting, boat-neck dress that followed her curves gracefully. 

The same refined-looking woman also looked so restless, Violet had to bite her lower lip at the thought of telling her all about Kai Wu.

She then glanced at the pretty assortment of bouquets spread over the luxurious patterned carpet in the middle of the room. They were handcrafted with classic and garden roses, flexed tulips, hydrangeas in soft pastel hues. She thought they complemented the posh interior of their house, which was dominated with glittery gold of all shades, balanced by neutral whites and deep chocolate accents, wonderfully. 

Apparently, her mom had a different opinion. "Aw, I asked for cozy shades, but don't you think these look a bit too dull?" Marion asked one of the maids, who was standing nearby. The maid looked so uncertain as to what to say, Violet felt the need to rescue her. But before she could answer for the maid, her mom already relented. "Ah never mind, the guests will be here soon. I guess these will have to do." She then instructed the maid, "Please arrange them neatly on the dinner table."

Her mom was about to give an order to another maid when she noticed her, who was just alighting from the last step of the stairs. Violet could see the glint in her mom's eyes as she approached.

"I knew that dress would look good on you," Marion gushed. "But then again, my daughter is so pretty, she'd look good in anything."

"That's because she got her looks from you, my love." Byron appeared from his study and gave both his wife and daughter a peck on their cheeks. Looking so suave in his Tom Ford's burgundy cashmere and wool-blend sweater and white dress pants, he circled his arm on his wife's waist, gazing at her affectionately.

Violet beamed at her parents. No matter how overprotective they were of her, to the point of being restrictive, they were always so loving—not only to their children but also toward each other.

"My mom is the prettiest, and my dad is the most handsome, so I got my looks from both of you!" she exclaimed, making both of her parents chuckle.

"Well, she definitely got her honey tongue from you," Marion said to her husband, pinching his waist.

At that moment, Hou Ming, their butler, came in, followed by a petite lady, with rounded bob hair, draped in a cantaloupe silk-satin wrap dress. Behind her was a burly man, comfortably clad in an orange crew-neck sweater with navy trousers. "Sir, ma'am, Mr. and Mrs. Chen are here."

"Yue Sis!" Marion chirped as she moved toward the petite lady and gave her a light hug. "Welcome, welcome!"

Byron joined her wife in welcoming their guests. "Mrs. Chen, we finally met. Thank you for always helping my wife with her foundation."

"It's always been a pleasure to work with Marion. The Lee-Struan foundation has accomplished a lot of things under her care. No need to thank me at all, Mr. Lee," the lady said, before turning to her husband to introduce him. "This is my husband, Leo. I heard you've met already?"

"Yes, of course. We met several times at the campaign finance of some political candidates. Small world, Chief Chen!" Byron laughed, extending a hand.

Leo guffawed as he accepted Byron's hand. "Mr. Lee," he said, "it's a small world, indeed."

Violet stood politely in the background, her hands clasped in front. It didn't take long before her mom cued her in. "Sweetheart, come and greet our guests."

She made her way to the guests and greeted them. "Good evening, Aunt Yue. Good evening, Uncle Chen."

She had never met Aunt Yue's husband before and was unsure how to address him, but judging from the hearty laugh he gave in response, it seemed like calling him uncle was the right decision.

The petite lady gently fixed her eyes on Violet and caressed her cheek softly. "Oh my... The last time I saw you was at the winter charity gala last year, and you're just getting more and more beautiful every time."

Violet smiled. "I'm sorry for not getting in touch often."

"Don't apologize, dear. I'm just delighted to see you again."

Violet knew about Aunt Yue's daughter, who had died at birth. If the baby had been alive, she would have been her age now. She and her husband had not had any more children after that. Perhaps, this was also the reason the lady had always adored her ever since she met her at one of her mom's social events three years ago.

"Come, come, let's talk more comfortably over there," Marion said, leading them to the sitting area in the corner of the room. "There's still some time before dinner is served."

"Ah, wait, we brought something," Leo said before he took a seat next to his wife. Butler Ming signaled a maid to bring in the neatly wrapped presents and put them on the side table.

"It's nothing much," he said, "just some delicacies that we think both of you would enjoy."

"We'll definitely enjoy them. Thank you!" Byron said, gesticulating a fist and palm salute, showing his thanks.

A maid entered to serve tea. After the tea was served, Aunt Yue took out a small box from her purse. It was beautifully wrapped in pink paper.

"This one is for Violet," Aunt Yue said, "I brought this from Chengdu when I went there a couple of weeks ago. Please open it later. I hope you'll like it."

"That's right, Aunt Yue was going to give it to you last Friday, but you weren't there," Marion explained.

"Thank you, Auntie. I'm sure I'll like it." Violet sweetly smiled as she accepted the present with both hands. She carefully handed it to a maid, asking her to put it in her room, and took a seat on a luxe velvet chaise lounge next to the sofa her parents were sitting on.

"I read about the bodies that were found on Po Toi," Byron said to Leo as he gestured for him to drink the tea. "It seems to have agitated the Secretary for Justice."

"Ah yes, what a headache." Leo shook his head.

"Aiyo, why are you talking about work matters now?" Marion complained. "Let's only talk about auspicious things."

Byron chuckled. "My wife is right. No unhappy talks on this happy occasion."

"I couldn't agree more," Leo said, also chuckling. "Besides, I already assigned my nephew to handle this case. I told you before, Little Kai's the best at his field. You can ask him all about it later when he's here."

Funny, Violet mused, Aunt Yue's nephew's name is Kai, too.

She smiled at the thought.

Wait... She tilted her head. Isn't Aunt Yue's name Yue Wu?

Violet's heart thumped.

It couldn't be...

"Uncle Chen!" she blurted, startling her elders.

"Y-yes, dear?"

Violet leaned her body forward. Her lips pursed, and her eyes narrowed. "You said your nephew is handling the case now. Is he in the police force too?"

"Sweetheart, are you okay? You're a bit flushed," Marion said, "let me check your temperature."

"No, Mom, I'm fine. I-I'm just very interested in the case. I, too, read it in the newspaper and would like to know more about it," she spluttered. Her doe-eyed gaze was still fixed on Leo in anticipation of an answer.

Leo guffawed at the young lady's curiosity, while Aunt Yue smiled.

"Yes, dear, he is," Aunt Yue said, "Isn't it great? You can ask him anything you'd like to know about the case later."

At that moment, the door swung open, followed by Butler Ming's voice, announcing the arrival of the last guest.

"Sir, ma'am, Mr. Wu has arrived."

Violet's heart thumped even louder. She gulped down hard and turned her head toward the door.

A tall figure with a strong, imposing aura emerged from the door. A single lavender rose in his hand.

Their eyes clashed.

She didn't dare move. She didn't even dare breathe. She was frozen to the spot. Her heart pounded hard and fast like a hummingbird's wings, she thought it would bruise her ribs.

A corner of the man's lips curled into a roguish smile. He walked over to her.

"Miss Lee," he said in that familiar magnetic, thick voice as he handed her the lavender rose. The charming smile never left his face.

Still in a daze, Violet accepted the flower without even getting up from her seat. She said nothing—not even a thank you—and was just looking at him with a blank expression.

The man then turned to her parents, holding out his arm.

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Lee. I'm sorry for being late. I'm Kai Wu."  

♡──── ❝ Author's Note ❞ ────♡

So, who called it? You get a virtual cookie from me. 😁

Finally. The long-awaited soirée is here. I hope the anticipation made you squeal 😉

Happy weekend!

It would mean a lot to me if you could share your thoughts about this chapter in the comment section. And please consider voting if you liked it.

Thank you so much for reading!

➽───────────────❥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

302K 10.3K 50
Featured by @KatyDreams for THE BEST ROMANCE BOOKS 4. PUBLISHED. READ THE WHOLE BOOK ON AMAZON : https://amzn.to/2F93mJr THE FICTION AWARDS 2017 Wi...
25.3K 771 29
[completed] It's been a long time since Captain Police Heirra Servens has last experienced romance. And now, her teenage romance that she never got t...
7 Lives Apart By Rose

Mystery / Thriller

344 51 11
"At that time, I didn't know that fate would drag us 7 Lives Apart!" *** Rose will go to any lengths just to lure in...
6.3M 135K 52
𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐓𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊 - all her hopes and dreams of running away from the luxurious lifestyle with her boyfriend are ruined when she fin...