Prey

By cannoness

In this life, a human without the money to pay for their own life is worth nothing. Take those humans in as p... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 93 (Doe's POV)
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Book 2
Physical Copies ᕕ( ᐛ)ᕗ

Chapter 28

45.4K 2.6K 721
By cannoness

Doe's POV:

A few months after getting purchased, I learned that I enjoyed the limo rides around town whenever Xander needed to get something done.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I came to enjoy most things that involved getting out of that castle for a bit.

This, though, was one of my favorites.

I'm sure many would find that weird, but for me, it was like a way of integrating into normal human society but from a safe distance to avoid any of the... looks they give you when they find out what kind of human you are.

It was just interesting to me to see the city the window overlooked up close. See the way these people interacted with each other and such.

But today there was very minimal of that due to it being the day before the bloodmoon.

So, most of society was closed to their own accord to... prepare I guess.

I turned away from the window, facing the vampire who sat across from me.

The look on his face told me that he'd rather be doing quite literally anything else as he rested his head back against the window behind him.

Every month he had to go and inspect the place where Lord Bronwyn decided to hold the blood collection, as well as pass off the information him and Nico had been working on for the past couple of weeks to the vampires who perform it.

A process he despised more and more each month.

I spotted the inner frame of the large round tent-like structure they put up for the collection as soon as we passed over a slight incline, hearing Xanders almost immediate exhale at the sight of the vampires he was going to have to interact with.

"You better hurry and put on whichever one your personas makes you look like you know what you're doing," I advised with a healthy amount of mockery.

"You don't think I'm trying?" He responded flatly, shaking a hand through his hair and straightening his posture.

He even fixed the collar of his shirt.

I peered out the window again as the limo slowed into a stop, looking over the pair of vampires that were staring down at us, probably the ones waiting for Xander.

"You're probably fine," I began, "These ones don't look as high and mighty as the last one's last month,"

Vampires always believe that they're in the right. Some just showed it more than others.

And thus they liked to start arguments over the littlest of details.

Something Xander would much rather avoid.

With a deep sigh, Xander forced himself to his feet and began to exit with me following soon behind.

He closed the door as soon as I stepped out, both of us standing side by side for a moment up at the two.

"So... you gonna join me this time?"

I couldn't laugh nearly as loud as I wanted to due to the watching eyes at his ridiculous question.

I started walking before answering, "Absolutely not. Good luck though."

"Yeah, I figured. Don't go too far, and I'll come find you when I'm done,"

My hand just rose in a slight wave, showing him that I heard.

We were both aware of how boring and unnecessarily rowdy these simple meetings could be.

Due to how much of an ass-kisser to the Lord the vampires He has to work with tend to be.

So after a couple months he suggested that I could just hang out around town until he was done.

With his senses, it's not like it was hard to find me.

Whether I even wanted to attempt to run or not.

I knew better.

People in this town were notorious for abducting and returning what they deemed to be runaways.

There was a hefty reward for those that did.

It'd almost happened to me about a year ago before Xander had to come intervene.

I began my way down the hill, pulling up the turtle neck to hide the collar and fend off the cold.

Winter was coming quickly this year it seemed.

This path was one I was somewhat familiar with from the past times I've done this, heading for one of the shopping centers.

Even though due to the day, most of them were probably closed, I could still window shop and whatnot.

There were a few other people around as I turned into the center.

All of which that were close seemed to spot me all at once.

Every single one immediately took a few seconds to look me over, scanning me from head to toe as I kept walking.

Then the looks came.

The glares as they stook up their noses, or the demeaning looks of pity they gave before forming a wide berth to even pass me.

I could never understand how with just a glance, they were able to deem me as an outsider.

As a lesser human.

No matter what I tried.

Covering the collar, covering the scars. There wasn't anything these people could see that I didn't want them to.

The bruise on my jaw was nearly gone...

I was dressed better than most of these people, as well as better groomed.

I knew it couldn't possibly be the way I carried myself.

So how? How did they automatically know?

The man who tried to abduct and claim me as a runaway said it was the look I carried in my eyes that gave me away.

A look that I searched for in the mirror on multiple occasions after that, but never pinpointed onto what he was talking about.

Given, I was a lot different back then than who I am now.

If there was a look I can only assume it's long gone.

The only looks I knew that were sitting on my face right now were determination to enjoy my outing and not giving a fuck as to what these weirdos think about it.

If they try to take me and pin me as a pet who escaped, I knew Xander was practically a scream-of-his-name call away.

I'd actually love to see how they handle it when the pet fights back this time.

I don't think there are any laws against that.

I laughed silently at my thoughts, placing my hands into the pockets of my jacket and continuing onto my merry way, letting the people react however they pleased.

There were many different shops in this street, but I was looking for one in particular, passing a variety of sweet smells from a bakery and a place that looked like it just specialized in cookies on the way.

Despite them being closed, I guess people were still inside working to prepare for the bustle of activity after the bloodmoon.

I continued on.

A pharmacy, a pottery store, a variety of restaurants, and a pet store that actually sold animals.

What a concept.

But still not quite what I was looking for.

I'd ask one of these people nearby for directions, but something told me that it would just be better all-around if I didn't.

So, I just kept looking, turning corners and retracing my footsteps until I finally spotted it.

The music store.

A place that I've never actually stepped inside, but whenever I happened to pass this place, the instruments that sat in the display window always caught my eye.

I stopped about a foot away from the glass, looking over every inch of the violin that sat there.

It looked a lot better than Xander's, and I can only imagine sounded better too.

But that's not what grabbed my attention.

Instead, it was the dark cherrywood guitar that sat to the right of it.

I leaned in closer, spotting the faint designs expertly etched into the base, and the silver details on the neck and headstock.

Or... at least that's what I think they're called.

My eyes trailed up and down the silver strings, the fourth one being a shiny black.

I felt my fingertips skim against the skin of my palm as I tried to envision what they would feel like

I don't know why, but this just grabbed my attention whenever I was nearby.

I'd even catch myself thinking about it while messing with Xander's violin.

Which was weird since I just barely knew how to handle that thing and not make it sound like an absolute mess.

I guess I could learn, but realistically, I don't think I have enough time left.

Even if I did, between dealing Layla and Xander... I don't know...

I forced myself to take a step back.

Almost the second that I did, A gust of wind appeared from my left, followed by the familiar vampire appearing on my right.

"Okay," He heaved out, catching his breath for a second, "Those two were oddly chill, so I think it went well."

I just turned my head back and upwards to look at him.

"That was fast," I commented.

"Right?! Why cant they all be that-" He stopped once he looked at the thing that I was practically standing directly in front of, "Whatcha looking at?"

I glanced back at the guitar.

Then, sighing silently to myself, I turned to my left.

"Nothing, just looking around. Are we done here?"

He was silent for a moment, and I didn't dare turn back to find out why.

"Yeah," He eventually said, catching up to walk at my side.

Now the stares really started.

If they could somehow pick a pet out of a group of humans, picking out a vampire wasn't that difficult.

Xander didn't seem to care in the slightest.

"I thought about hitting up that sandwich place you like but," He looked around, "I don't think anything's open."

That was typically what we ended up doing on days like these.

Spend some time here in the city, shopping for miscellaneous items before eventually heading back once the sun was set.

It was the closest thing I had to a day with minimal worry of Layla showing up to ruin it.

"It's fine," I said, "We can come back sometime after the bloodmoon,"

Cuz there was no way I was just gonna skip that day.

I saw the smallest tinge of anxiety cross his face for just a split second at the mention of what tomorrow was.

"Yeah," His words just barely showed it as well, "Sounds like a plan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

765 75 30
✨ SEASON 1 OF A VAMPIRE ROMANCE STORY "QUEEN OF ASHES": "It took one day for her life to turn upside down. From the bastard daughter of the king, Fre...
22K 764 20
"Everything is an act. My bright smile, my happy face, my friendly attitude. I acted like I was fine when I was in that hell, and I'm doing the same...
1.1K 25 25
Life sucks Until you realize the wonders it holds. Dacia Gordon's life went from normal to weird in the blink of an eye when she moved from her home...
78 1 8
Love. Love was a word that people said would devour her when she meets her certain someone. But what happens if it wasn't just one person but two peo...