The Geisha Way

By _nobodynoone

"She paints her face to hide her face. Her eyes are deep water. It is not for Geisha to want. It is not for g... More

Ch 1- The Start Of All Beginnings.
Ch 2- The Hangyoku.
Ch 3- An Opportunity Presents Itself.
Ch 4- A Place In His World.
Ch 5- The Minarai.
Ch 6- The Uchiha Kunoichi.
Ch 7- The Little Petal's Onesan.
Ch 8- Kill Or Be Killed.
Ch 9- Ninja: A Dance Between Men.
Ch 10- Imprint.
Ch 11- Beauty Is Pain.
Ch 12- The Show Must Go On.
Ch 13- The Point Of No Return.
Ch 14- A Pain Worse Than Death.
Ch 15- Art: Eternal Or Temporary?
Ch 17- Sadness.
Ch 18- The Long Journey Ahead.
Ch 19- It Is Not For Geisha To Want.
Ch 20- What Lurks Amongst The Shadows In The Dark.
Ch 21- A Lesson In Love.
Ch 22- Cherry Blossoms.
Ch 23- Breathe.
Ch 24- Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder
Ch 25- Selfish.
Ch26- Hours.
Ch 27- Truly, Madly, Deeply.
Ch 28- Selfish Heart.
Ch 28- I Wouldn't Mind.

Ch 16- Rekindle.

2K 137 15
By _nobodynoone

“And suddenly everything around me seemed to grow quiet, as if he were the wind that blew and I were just a cloud carried upon it.”

Miomomo absentmindedly stared out the window, twirling her sakura blossom necklace and watched people go on with their daily lives. She thought about the people she had lost; no matter who died, she was expected to just keep going on through life—life itself, just kept going; and perhaps that was the scariest thing about death. She sighed deeply, and remembered the wise words her Biyōchō told her: Time heals all wounds; but it is up to you to decide how long it will take. A small smile appeared on her face, thinking about her former onesan.

“Are you nervous for the art show?” Toph’s voice asked behind her; she turned and looked at her as if she couldn’t believe she was actually talking to her; and she couldn’t, Toph hasn’t spoken more than two words to her. Her smile widened at the sight of Toph, and she shook her head ‘no’.

“If anything I am relieved; I yearn to be on the stage again…it’s like this adrenaline that you can’t find anywhere else. When that spotlight hits you in a dark room, it’s as if you’re a star in the night sky.” She chuckled to herself. “I know I must sound silly. Toph smiled and slowly entered the room.

“Not at all.”

“About Hana—” Miomomo started, but was cut off by Toph’s shaking head.

“It’s forgiven.” Although Toph had forgiven her; it didn’t ease the shame she felt for not apologizing to her sooner.

“Are you going to come to the show?”

“Of course; even Okasan is going. This show is a big deal; people from all over are coming.” She went to Miomomo’s closet and opened it. “C’mon let’s get you ready.”

Miomomo gawked at herself in the full length mirror; it’s been a while since she has put on such heavy, elaborate makeup. It brought back sweet memories of her maiko days. In a trance like state, she didn’t hear someone enter her room.

“You’re not going to make money standing there gaping at yourself.” She snapped out of her daydream and looked at Okasan’s proceeding form in the mirror.

“Sorry Okasan.” The old woman chuckled and closer to her.

“You have grown into such a beautiful, young woman.”

“Okasan…” The old woman words warmed her heart.

“You know Biyōchō was right to take you under her wing; I never thought I’d see the day.” Okasan smiled at her warmly; Miomomo picked up Dark Dragon and attached the sword to her waist.

“I still can’t believe it myself.” She turned to Okasan and smiled at her.

“I am glad I chose you Mio, this was a dark place, and I was sure that it would be left to rot after I was gone.” Okasan put a hand on Miomomo’s shoulder and smiled. “You are the light to bring this place out of darkness; thank you.” Miomomo smiled with tears in her eyes; and hugged the old woman.

She stood behind the curtain on stage and took a deep breath; she held her two fans stood front and center. Curiosity got the better of her, and she decided to peek through the curtain. Her eyes scanned the crowd and landed on Sasori and Deidara; she smiled, but it fell as she spotted Gaara amongst the swarm. His eyes caught hers and she pulled her head back in and gave a panic gaze towards Toph behind her.

“What is it Mio-chan?”

“Remember when you asked me if I was nervous?” Toph nodded; setting up her shimedaiko, a small drum.  “Well now I am.” A fellow geisha came to join them on the stage holding a Koto, a large string instrument.

“They are ready to start.” Miomomo nodded and took her place in front of the stage. The curtain rose slowly, and her nervousness heightened with it.

After her dance, Miomomo went to take off the makeup and change back into her normal kimono. She came from backstage and was immediately showered with applause and praise; when the people dispersed she saw Sasori and Deidara heading her way. Sasori handed her a fairly large, red box. Miomomo took it in her arms and read the beautiful calligraphy on it out loud.

“Eikyū no Utsukushī.”

“Eternal beauty.” Sasori said simply. “Now you have a piece of your own.”

“Sasori-kun; thank you so much…” She went to open it, but Sasori stopped her.

“Wait till you’re alone.” She blushed lightly and nodded.

“Okay, okay prince charming, hm.” Deidara butted in, ruining the sentiment moment between the two. He gave her a wooden box; it didn’t have writing on it, but it had a glass front; showing a beautifully sculpted rose. Miomomo was speechless. “It may not last in a single moment but like you said, art comes in many forms, hm.”

“Thank you Deidara-kun; that is so sweet of you.”He blushed and turned his head, while crossing his arms

“We have to go; we were due back from our mission yesterday, hm.”

“Very well, I won’t keep you.”

“I hope one day, our paths cross again.” Sasori said in his small, daunting voice. She watched their retreating forms disappear into the crowd. Toph came up beside her.

“What are those?” She snapped her gaze at Toph.

“Oh, they’re gifts from a couple of clients I had…” Her voice trailed off when she spotted Gaara a few feet in front of her.

“I am leaving early and going back to the Okiya; do you want me to drop them off?”

“That would be nice, thank you.”

She nervously advanced towards Gaara, giving herself an inner pep talk. What would she say to someone she hadn’t seen in years?

“It’s been a while.” Gaara was the first to speak; she held herself back from hugging him, she remembered how reserved he was. However, something was different about him, he was less cold.

“Too long.” A girl came up to them with a big grin on her face.

“You were amazing; the fans were beautiful!” A guy with a painted face came up beside the girl.

“Sorry, she is obsessed with fans; I am Kankurō and this is Temari, we’re Gaara’s siblings.” She offered them a big smile.

“A pleasure to meet you both.” Gaara gave them a look.

“Can I have a moment with Mio alone please?” Kankurō smirked.

“Sure thing; get em’ bro.” He winked; Temari rolled her eyes at him, and dragged him off. Gaara looked like he wanted to strangle him, but instead he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“There is something different about you… I can’t quite figure out what it is yet.” She said breaking the ice. He gave her a confused face; as if he was trying to figure out whether or not if that’s a good thing.

“Well, I have grown twenty centimeters.” Miomomo giggled.

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Explain.”

“You seem…less indifferent than you did when I first met you.”

“I have spoken to Naruto more since then; he taught me a lot of things I use to turn a blind eye towards; I have even made…friends.”  He said the word friends, as if it was foreign to him—as if he was trying to feel it out. They sat down on the stage’s edge. “I decided to work hard because I wanted to become acknowledged by others. That's what I thought when I look at Naruto’s bonds with others. Up until now, I only had known hate and murderous intent. But I wondered, what is that bond he longed for? Now I understand even only a little pain, sadness…and joy; these feelings allow you to understand others."

“That is wonderful Gaara.” She stared into his sea foam eyes; they were wiser, even held some compassion.

“What is it that made you decide to become a geisha?”

“I didn’t always want the life of a geisha, at first she felt trapped.”

“What had changed?” She looked at the crowd in a daze.

“I use to think I was like wood. As rooted to the earth as a sakura tree... but my mother told me I was like water; water can carve its way through stone. And when trapped, water can make a new path.” Her eyes returned to his, and she blushed.

“You have a gift for expression Mio.” He stood up suddenly, and stared off into the distance. “I think of you as a friend. I used to think "friend" was just another word…nothing more, nothing less. But when I met you and Naruto, I realized what was important was the word's meaning.” He snapped his gaze towards her. “Will you be my best friend?” Miomomo almost giggled at how boyish he seemed when he got that look of determination on his face.

“Of course, Gaara.”

 “Then this is where it all starts for me; starting with this small bond. I too want to become someone who is needed like Naruto, instead of a weapon that is feared; and as the Kazekage of Sunagakure.”

So the voting period starts March first for the contest; for all the people who have been voting on every chapter, commenting, and being supportive; I have something special planned for you all. Thank you guys~ xoxoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.9K 1.6K 58
[[COMPLETED]] Naruto Uzumaki was living his life, he had wealth, health, fame and pretty much everything like having a son and a daughter named Borut...
145K 5K 20
Rose was left at an orphanage after the death of her parents, living under the abuse of the head matron. After creating bonds with the other children...
46.7K 2K 55
After Itachi's attack, Kakashi falls into a coma and is cared for by Kaori, the nurse at the shinobi hospital. She eventually falls hopelessly in lov...
2.4K 171 36
Hisako Fuyu Uchiha: A young, promising clan heiress one moment, a sole survivor of a merciless genocide the next. Now a refugee in the Leaf Village...